The History of New York State
Editor, Dr. James Sullivan
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
James FRANCIS DWYER
Among the many resident of Kingston who are occupied with enterprises connected with the Hudson River is James F. Dwyer, of the firm of Dwyer Brothers, Incorporated, ship chandlers and boat builders. The firm was incorporated two years before the death of Mr. Dwyer's brother, Robert J. Dwyer, and James F. Dwyer is now half owner of the business and its president. In addition to this interest in the corporation, he is also active in banking circles and in the operation of a fleet of barges on the Hudson River and in New York Harbor.
His father, Denis Dwyer, was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, in 1827, and died in Kingston, New York, in 1904. He came to the United States in 1851, at the age of twenty-four years, and settled in Kingston, from which city he was employed on steam boats and sail vessels on the Hudson and on Long Island Sound. He also worked on the Mississippi River for a time, among the noted steamers on which he was employed being the famous "Natchez." Denis Dwyer married Johanna O'Brien, who was born in 1833, in County Tipperary, Ireland, and who came to this country in 1851, locating in Kingston. She died March 31, 1883.
James F. Dwyer, son of Denis and Johanna (O'Brien) Dwyer, was born in Kingston, May 26, 1859, and received his education in the public schools of Kingston, which, however, he left while quite a young lad, and engaged in the boating business on the canals, lakes and rivers of New York and other States. In 1887 he and his brother, Robert J. Dwyer, established a ship chandler's store in West Strand, where, in addition to the handling of ships' supplies, they also built boats, mostly barges and scows many of which operated themselves. Of both branches of the business Mr. Dwyer has been half owner since the death of his brother in 1925. The concern was incorporated in that year, just before the death of the brother, under the name of Dwyer Brothers, Incorporated, and at the present time (1928) they are also operators and owners of the following industries: The R. Lenahan Company, boat and barge builders; the Kingston Brick & Ice Company; Wilbur Sand Company; Hanrahan Brick & Ice Company; Dwyer Brothers Ship Chandlery, and the Arrow Ice Company.
James F. Dwyer owns and operates fifty barges on the Hudson River and in New York Harbor. He is principally engaged in freighting cement from Hudson River points to New York City, and in this branch of his varied interests he is meeting with substantial suc-
cess. In financial circle in Kingston, Mr. Dwyer is active and influential. He has been president of the Rondout National Bank since 1924, and a member of its board of directors for the past twenty years. that Mr. Dwyer is a man of versatile business abilities is evidenced clearly in his varied lines of activity. He is likewise active in political circles. A supporter of the Democratic party, he was a minority candidate for the State Assembly, and is generally active in the affairs of his party. At the present time Mr. Dwyer is serving as a member of the water board commission, of which he was formerly president, and has also been appointed a member of the Board of Aldermen. Fraternally, he is identified with the Knights of Columbus, and his religious affiliation is with the Roman Catholic Church.
James f. Dwyer was married in Kingston, New York, April 18, 1887, to Anna M. Hughes, who was born in Kingston, new York, in October, 1863, daughter of John Hughes, now deceased, who was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, and in 1851 came alone to the United States, and settled in Rondout, and of Marjorie (McConnellogue) Hughes, who was born in Ireland and came to this country in 1850. Mr. and Mrs. Dwyer are the parents of nine children: 1. Joan, born April 1, 1888, married John J. Goldrick, who is now deceased. 2. Elizabeth, born September 25, 1889. 3. Denis, deceased, born August 23, 1891. 4. Marjorie, born September 29, 1892, married Leo F. Saddlemire. 5. James A., born February 3, 1895; associated with his father in business, as vice-president, secretary and general manager of Dwyer Brothers, Incorporated, and allied companies. 6. Thomas S., born December 16, 1896, who in connection with his brother, John H., is managing the lighterage end of the business of Dwyer Brothers, Incorporated, and its allied companies. 7. John H., born in January 5, 1899. 8. William J., born March 8, 1902, superintendent of boat construction in Kingston. 9. Helen d., born March 11, 1903.
JOSEPH WALLACE FRANKEL
Readers of daily publications in the smaller communities of the State have ever supported the local newspaper loyally, but one has been more favored in this respect than the "Saugerties Daily Post," the and "Saugerties Weekly Telegraph," both managed and edited by Joseph Wallace Frankel. His career has been entirely one of newspaper work, in which he began in Saugerties as a young man and where he has since continued with outstanding success. There may be no tremendous financial heights to which a small town newspaper may aspire to climb, but there are the heights of public influence for the general improvement of civic and social conditions whereon it may plant its banner. This is the position which has been attained by Joseph Wallace Frankel with his influential publications.
He was born in Saugerties, February 24, 1876, a son of Philip and charlotte (Cohn) Frankel. His father was a native of Copenhagen, Denmark, and his mother of Schiltberg, Germany. Both are deceased. The father came to the United States before the Civil War and was a merchant in Saugerties for more then thirty years.
Joseph W. Frankel received his education in the public schools of Saugerties, and when he was twenty years of age, entered the employ of the Saugerties "Post," where he was initiated into the gathering and editing of the news of the day. His success in learning the profession was rapid and thorough, and upon the death, in 1922, of Edward Jernegan, who had founded the paper fifty years before, he took over the entire management and editorial responsibility of the publication. Associated with him in the ownership now are James T. Maxwell, John A. Snyder, Sarah Snyder, O. L. Carn, and Mrs. Catherine Jernegan. Joseph Wallace Frankel is a Republican in politics, has been village assessor for two terms, and is vice-president of the Board of Education of Saugerties, his membership covering seven years in the board. He is a Baptist in religious convictions, and belongs to Ulster Lodge, No. 193, Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is Past Master; William H. Raymond Lodge, No. 59, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; Emmanual Chapter, No. 517, Order of the Eastern Star, of which he is Past Patron, and is Past Assistant Grand lecturer of the Greene-Ulster district, Order of the Eastern Star. He also holds membership in Catskill Chapter, No. 285, Royal Arch Masons; Catskill Council, No. 78, Royal and Select Masters; Rondout Commandery, No. 52, Knights Templar, and Cyprus Temple, of Albany, ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is also treasurer of the Saugerties Chamber of Commerce and an exempt fireman, member of Washington Hook and Ladder Fire Company and honorary member of the R. R. Snyder And T. B. Cornwell Fire companies.
Mr. Frankel married, November 6, 1904, at
Beacon, New York, Rachel A. Cohn, daughter of Samuel Cohn, a Saugerties merchant for many years, and of Ana (Brink) Cohn, both deceased.
One of Kingston's most eminent citizens and leading business men was the late John Forsyth, who died in Kingston on June 10, 1912. Mr. Forsyth was a member of a prominent firm of Forsyth and Davis for twenty-five years, and was a factor in the commercial life of the city. ?coming of a line of distinguished ancestors on both sides, Mr. Forsyth, through his father, was a descendant of one of the most important families of Scotland, while his maternal ancestors were among the earliest inhabitants of New York, where they took a constructive part in the opening up of the new country. One of the famous members of this family, his maternal great-grandfather, colonel Jacobus Severn Bruyn, of Kingston, personally equipped and commanded a regiment of soldiers in the Revolutionary War, receiving great commendation fro his valor and assistance in this great struggle. The ancestral home at Fair and Pearl Streets is filled with family heirlooms of early colonial days and relics of the Revolutionary War, in which the members of this family played so brave a part.
Mr. Forsyth was born in Kingston, June 22, 1850, son of James C. and Mary (Bruyn) Forsyth. James C. Forsyth was the son of John and Jane (Currie) Forsyth. Mary (Bruyn) Forsyth was the daughter of Severn Bruyn and Catherine Hashbrouck.
John Forsyth received his education in Kingston Academy, precious to that having been taught principally by private tutors, his schooling being limited because of a defect in his hearing. He later entered business, in which he was highly successful, and steadily advanced until he became a leading figure in the commercial and financial life of the community. He was a director of the State of New York National Bank, and in the social affairs of the city took an active part, being a member of the Kingston Club and the Twaalfskill Gold club. In politics, he followed the principles of the Republican Party, and in his religious affiliations he was a member of the Dutch Reformed Church.
John Forsyth married, at Bridgeport, Connecticut, June 8, 1881, Mary L. Tomlinson, daughter of Stephen Tomlinson, who was of English descent, a prominent manufacturer and business man of Bridgeport, and of May (Falconer) Tomlinson, who was the daughter of William and Sophronia (Linsly) Falconer, the Falconer family is of French Huguenot descent, their original ancestor, Pierrre Fauconnier, coming to the Untied States and settling at Hyde Park, which he named.
Mr. Forsyth's sister, Mary Isabella Forsyth, founded the Kingston Chapter of the Daughter of the American Revolution and was later vice-president general and also State regent in this society. She was also a member of the Colonial Dames. Miss Forsyth died in 1914. In 1875 she established the Kingston Industrial Home for Children and lived to witness the fruition of her early ambitions in providing a shelter for children.
MILTON NOBLE ELDRIDGE
It has been said that "Biography is the most authentic history," and to record the lives of men who have passed on, yet who, while they lived, performed deeds worthy of emulation, is history of the greatest value, and most fittingly should be preserved in a work of this nature. Such a record is that of the late Milton Noble Eldridge who, during the forty-five short years of his life, closely allied himself with the industrial, financial and political affairs of Warren County, New York, and also took an active in everything pertaining to the welfare and advancement of that section, never failing to give his earnest support to furthering every worthy cause.
Milton Noble Eldridge was born in Wevertown, new York, the son of Taylor J. and Cynthia Eldridge, and obtained his education in the Warrensburg public school and the Albany High School, subsequently graduating from the latter institution. Upon completing his studies he returned to Warrensburg and it was but a short time before he numbered among the highly representative citizens of Warren County, holding the office of president and general manager of the Warrensburg Woolen Company, and also that of vice -president of the Emerson National Bank, of Warrensburg.
Mr. Eldridge was a staunch republican in his political affiliation, but he did not take an active part in the affairs of his chosen party until 1911, when he was nominated by the Republican Party for supervisor of the town of Warrensburg, and subsequently was elected to that office. So well did he conduct the town's affairs that he was returned to that office eleven times, and it is recorded that when he was elected to the State Assembly to represent War-
ren county in 1921, and again, in 1922, he had decreased Warrensburg's bonded indebtedness to a very small sum. Worthy of note also is the fact that Mr. Eldridge was not the first member of his family to serve as assemblyman, for his father, Taylor J. Eldridge, and his grand-fathers, James C. Eldridge and David Noble, were also member of that body. The popularity of Milton N. Eldridge can be described in no stronger works than these which have already been written about him: "When his first term as assemblyman had expired he was re-nominated, and although he was at Saranac Lake at the time and did not appear in his district during the campaign, his friends returned him to office by a big vote. His health did not permit a third term, so he declined the re-nomination."
Mr. Eldridge was a member of Warrensburg Lodge No. 425, Free and Accepted Masons; Warrensburg Chapter, No. 325, Royal Arch Masons; Warrensburg Lodge, No. 488, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; and Glens Falls Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. His religious affiliation was with the Methodist Episcopal faith. He was also a member of the Warren county republican Club, serving for a time as its chairman, or until ill-health forced him to resign.
Such, in brief, is the record of the life of Milton Noble Eldridge, whose death occurred August 1, 1926, after a hard-fought battle against that dreaded disease, tuberculosis. Although the was permitted to remain on this earth but a comparatively short time the deeds he accomplished were many and sincerely worthy of emulation. In his passing Warren county lost one of her most valued citizens.
WILSON D. ELMENDORF
One of the well-known and highly respected citizens of Kingston is Wilson D. Elmendorf. He is a retired lumberman, having owned and operated, for many years, a sawmill at Brown's Station, in Ulster County. This part of the country is now under the waters of the Ashokan Reservoir, which supplies New York City with its water, and about 1909, when this project was under way, Mr. Elmendorf retired and moved to Kingston, where he was since lived.
He was born in 1853, at Brown's Station, the son of Mr. and Mrs. peter Elmendorf, of that place. His father, who served in the Union Army during the Civil War, was a farmer and engaged in this work until his death
Wilson d. Elmendorf attended the country schools of his birthplace, and when he completed his education began work in the lumber business. Soon afterwards he acquired possession of the sawmill near the town, which he operated thereafter for over forty years. Mr. Elmendorf's considerable energy and ability contributed greatly to the success of this venture to which he gave so much of his life, and when, in 1909, the land at Brown's Station was needed for the construction of the reservoir, he felt well able to retire with the consciousness that his work throughout the years had been well done. Politically, he is a member of the republican party, and he supports the Presbyterian Church. His home, at Kingston, is located at No. 79 O'Neill Street.
Mr. Elmendorf married Cora bishop, of Olive Bridge, Ulster County, new York, and they became the parents of children: 1. Ina, who married Howard Holbrook, of Kingston, and they were the parents of three children: Charles, Clayton, and Helen. 2. Allie, married Harold Quick, of Brooklyn, now deceased, and they are the parents of three children: Clifton, Harold, and Harvey. 3. Nellie, a stenographer in the Farm bureau, who lives with her parents. 4. Archie, married Susie Morris, of Browns' Station, and they have one child, Mildred. 5. Harry, married Frances McGinnis, of Fleischmanns, New York, and they have one son, roger, the family living at Port Ewen. 6. Tracy, married Edna Handson, of Ferndale, California, and now lines in Goshen, California. 7. Clayton, owner of Smith's Garage, the largest in the city of Kingston, which he operated since 1927.
The decade that has passed since the career of Jacob Forst ended has neither dimmed the memory of the man in the minds and hearts of those who knew him, nor lessened the inspiration found in his achievement in the world of affairs. When Jacob Forst began the work of life it was as an empty-handed and unknown youth; when he laid aside earthly tasks it was with outstanding reputation as a packer and with material rewards commensurate with his position in the packing industry.
Jacob Forst was born in Germany, in 1855, and came to America when a boy. Coming to Rondout, he started with a small capital and purchased farm products, which he peddled from door to door, until, in 1873, when he as twenty years of age, he established a general packing house on Abel Street, Rondout. From that moment his business continually grew. He never failed he never ceased to labor alone,
and by hard work he left an imposing commercial monument. The business was incorporated January 6, 1922, with a capital of $250,000, and with the following officers: Mrs. Jacob Forst, president; Mac Forst, vice-president; Henry Forst, secretary; Bernard Forst, treasurer. When Mr. Fort was called from his accustomed places the organization that he had founded required no rebuilding, no immediate change in plan or policy, for it was established substantially and conducted ably. Jacob Forst has built into it the staunchness of his own personality and character, and the esteem and confidence of his colleagues constituted an unfailing asset. Mr. Forst was a Democrat, and as such had been elected to a term as alderman and had also served as alms commissioner of Kingston. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias, president of Temple Emanuel, and was a trustee of Kingston Lodge, No. 550, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
Mr. Forst married Jacobina Reis, a native of Germany. Their children are: Sophie, Leon, Max, Bernard, and Henry.
WILLIAM LEWIS FULLER
Although a successful dairy farmer and a practical printer, the pure of politics was constantly calling William Lewis Fuller, who today has served longer as postmaster of Ellenville than any other official of like grade in Ulster County. He has always taken an active interest in the political activities of the community and in its religious and social welfare, its trade and general prosperity. He has made a wide circle of friends and is held to be one of the substantial citizens of the county.
William Lewis fuller was born in Ellenville, February 22, 1862, a son of Elam and Ruth (Haight) Fuller. Elam Fuller was a successful building contractor and erected many churches and notable buildings in and near Ellenville. His family in this country originated in Massachusetts. Ruth Haight came of English stock that settled in Ulster County in the early days.
William Lewis fuller was educated in the Ellenville public school. He adopted agriculture and dairying, associated with the ice business, in which last named commodity he dealt for thirteen years. Prior to his engagement in independent business he was apprenticed in the printing trade to Thomas E, Benedict, who later served as Public Printer in the administration of President Cleveland, and published the Ellenville "Press." With Mr. Benedict, young Fuller served nine years, learning the printing art. He then went into dairy farming and is the owner of a fine farm near Ellenville. He is a Republican in politics, and has served as tax collector for one term and chairman of the Republic town committee for ten years, and was a member of the Republic an county committee. President Roosevelt appointed him postmaster of Ellenville, a post which has been continued under Presidents Wilson, Harding and Coolidge, a period of more than twenty years. He is a member of Wawarsing Lodge, No. 582, Free and Accepted Masons; of the Improved order of Red Men, and for seventeen years was a member of the old Volunteer Fire Department.
Mr. Fuller married (first) Sarah L. Blauschan, at Ellenville, in 1882. She died in 1908, leaving him one child, Edwin D., who manages a grocery store in Ellenville; he married Marie Folison, of East Orange, new Jersey, and is the father of one child. Edwin B Fuller served in the American Expeditionary forces in France for two years, during the participation of the United States in the World War, as a private in the 22d Engineers. The father's second wife was Hattie Thornton Harney, of Ellenville, who had been assistant postmaster here. Her father was Thomas Thornton, her mother, Louise Dayton. The marriage took place in New York city, April 17, 1913.
Jacob F. HAUBEIL
To Jacob F. Haubeil must be given credit for originating the phrase, "My inn is the only inn on Long Island that George Washington 'did not' sleep in." For thirty years, Mr. Haubeil acted as host and proprietor of "Ye Old Tavern," that famous old landmark of Flushing, Long Island. His spirit of good will and sincere comradeship has made him one of the sot beloved and popular men of this community. As a host he has few equals. His fine consideration of the feelings of others and their opinions, his good work in behalf of those in need, will live in the minds of the people of Flushing for many years. His activities for better, finer, cleaner politics are legion.
Jacob F. Haubeil was born march 15, 1855, and came to Flushing in 1885 to takeover the new enterprise of "Ye Old Tavern," located at the junction of Main Street and Broadway, Flushing. To this old hostelry, he brought new life. His spirit of hospitality, welcome and good
fellowship soon made this place the most popular "stop" on Long Island. All travel along the North shore passed his door. To the hungry and weary its meant rest and comfort to reach this hospitable tavern. Not alone to those seeking merely physical comfort was it a place of cheer, but those traveling for recreation and pleasure found a peculiar air of friendliness that left them pleasant memories. Many of the world's most famous men and women have met there and enjoyed the hospitality of "Ye Old Tavern." Mr. Haubeil knew so well, with a peculiar talent which is a gift, how to make his guests feel that his place was different, vastly different, from the modern, business-like service of the up-to-date hotels. Tot he citizens of Flushing, this old tavern has served as civic center, a political meeting ground, and the meeting place of friends who wished to enjoy a game of checkers, pinochle or dominoes, while the host served such refreshment as they wanted. Mr. Haubeil has now retired, and "Ye Old Tavern" has been demolished.
The citizens of Flushing have shown their confidence in Mr. Haubeil by electing him one of the town officials. For six years he has been overseer of the poor, which gives him the personal pleasure of "doing for others," a work he has always enjoyed. He is a Past Chancellor of Oak Lodge, Knights of Pythias; a member of many Masonic bodies, including the Chapter and Commandery, and for five years was treasurer of Anchor Lodge. He is a charter member of the Fraternal order of Eagles, and a charter member of the Improved order of Red Men, and for fifty years he has been a member of the St. George's Church. He has retired from his inn-keeping, and the famous old landmark is now being replaced by one of the finest theatres on Long Island. Jacob Haubeil believes in prohibition, that it has been a blessing and that "It has made people think."
In 1900, Jacob Haubeil; married Mary Forsyth, a native of Glasgow, Scotland,. Mrs. Haubeil died in 1918.
A leader in the commercial and civic life of Kingston and vicinity, Philip Goldrick is one of the pioneer manufacturers who inaugurated the industry of brick-making in the Hudson River Valley, an industry which has been one of the principal factors in the material development of this district. Mr. Goldrick removed his entire organization to Kingston in 1906, and established the thriving settlement of Goldrick's Landing (town of Ulster), erecting his factories and brickyards, which produce thirty million bricks per year. He built homes accommodating two hundred and fifty employees, all houses of the most modern and improved design and equipment, opened mercantile stores and built a beautiful and impressive Roman Catholic church; in every conceivable manner, taking the deepest interest in the welfare and progress of his employees and the residents of the locality. His remarkable planning and foresight have made this a model community, whose inhabitants are noted for their industrious qualities and the intelligent and active interest which they display in issues concerning town or commonwealth.
Mr. Goldrick was born in Haverstraw, October 22, 1850, son of John and Rose Goldrick, both of whom were born and married in Ireland. John Goldrick came to the United States early in life and became superintendent of construction in the employ of some of the large brick factories of this section.
Philip Goldrick was educated in the public schools of Stony Point, and after the completion of his formal education, followed in his father's footsteps and entered the brick business in which he has been continuously engaged ever since. his thorough attention to all the details of this industry and his keen perception and expert managerial ability caused him to succeed from the first, and in 1880m, he established brickyards in Rockland County, on Haverstraw Bay, operating this large enterprise with a production of twelve million bricks annually. The business continued at that location for many years, giving employment to a great number of people in the vicinity, but in 1906, owing to the diminishing clay deposits, Mr. Goldrick moved the entire plant to Kingston and proceeded to develop the settlement which bears his name. In 1922 the name of the company was changed to that of Philip Goldrick & Sons, and Mr. Goldrick, who is the last survivor of the original brick manufacturers on the Hudson, continues as head of the concern, while his son, Thomas Goldrick, acts as production manager, and another son, Merton Goldrick, is in charge of sales and finance. The organization ships brick by barges to New York City, maintaining its own fleet of boats, and for many years has been the largest individual manufacturer in the valley, producing red building brick exclusively. Mr. Goldrick is active in all civic and social affairs, and is a leading member of Kingston Lodge, No. 550,
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. His religious adherence is given to the Roman Catholic church.
Philip Goldrick married, January 14, 1877, at Stony Point, Cecelia Brennan, born at Tompkins Cove, daughter of Murtha and Mary Brennan, and to this union were born seven children. Two died in infancy, and the others are: 1. Philip R., the oldest son, who died in 1906. 2. John, who died in 1918; married Joan Dwyer, of Kingston, and had one daughter, Nan. 3. Rose L. Lewis, who died in 1924; she had two children, Rose Cecile and Margery. 4. Thomas Francis, born April 9, 1886, at Haverstraw, graduated from Haverstraw High School, became associated with hi father in the brick business, and is now production manager of the partnership; he married Jane Keating, of Kingston, daughter of John J,. Keating; he is a fourth degree Knights of Columbus, member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, No. 550, Kingston, and of the Kingston Club, 5. Merton L., born December 11, 1890, at Haverstraw; graduated from Haverstraw High School, and Spencer's business college, later entering Packard's College, New York City, where he studied banking and finance; entered the brick business as a youth and as paymaster of his father's firm at the age of eighteen; is a director of Rondout National Bank; director Kingston Rotary Club, director New York District Common Brick Association, and is a member of the American Legion, Knights of Columbus, Kingston Club, the Palenville Country Club; he finds great recreation in outdoor sports, among which golf is his favorite, while he is an expert sailor and yachtsman.
The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.