The History of New York State
Biographies, Part 13

Editor, Dr. James Sullivan

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam

 

JOHN LANG, JR.

Himself a devoted follower of Isaac Walton and a sportsman of degree, John Lang, Jr., adopted as his life's work the ministering to the comforts of his fellow angler and nimrods. The result has been the establishing in Saugerties of one of the finest sporting goods houses in this section of the country, where anything and everything in the line of material of the best is always at the command of the individual or association of hunters and fishermen. With intimate attention to this ever-expanding business he has also had time and taken pleasure in civic, fraternal and social activities, in all of which activities he has made a host of friends and well wishers. His knowledge of the crafts he himself loves is of great service to others, and word-of-mouth advertising of his headquarters and its contents has brought to him an ever-growing trade. His fellow-citizens hands sportsmen unite in saying he deserves it all.

John Lang, Jr., was born in Saugerties, August 26, 1876, a son of John Lang, a retired blacksmith and living in Saugerties at the age of seventy-eight years, and Gertrude (Seibold) Lang, who was born in New York City, of German parents. The father was a native of Germany, having been born in Wurttenburg, emigrating to the United States in 1850 with his parents. John Lang's maternal grandfather was a soldier in the Union Army during the Civil War, serving two enlistments in the New York Zouaves. He was captured and imprisoned at Andersonville, where he died. His body now lies in the Andersonville cemetery, his life given to his adopted country.

John Lang, Jr., was educated in the Saugerties public schools, upon completion of which he went to sea, being engineer on a private yacht that plied its haughty and idle way on Atlantic waters between Maine, Florida and Cuba. After three years of this life he returned to Saugerties, where he established himself in the sporting goods business, continuing it since, and always enlarging as trade demanded. The walls of his store, which is the rendezvous for sportsmen from far and near, are ornamented with magnificent trophies of the forest, field, and stream, most of the gathered by himself in his many trips into the wilderness. He is independent in politics and has never sought office, although taking a sincere interest in the political activities of the community in which he lives and labors. He attends Trinity Episcopal Church and is a member of the Improved Order of Red men, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and Free and Accepted Masons. He was the first president of the Saugerties Fish and Game Club and is a member of the Ulster County fish and Game Club.

John Lang, Jr., married, in Saugerties, August 3, 1904, Jennie Knight, daughter of John Knight, who operated a boat service on Esopus Creek, and of Elizabeth (Ede) Knight, both natives of England, where they were married, coming to the Untied States fifty years ago and settling in Saugerties.

LeROY LOUNSBERRY

His blood rich with Huguenot ancestry, with American forebears leading in patriotism during the War of the Revolution, LeRoy Lounsberry has fulfilled

Page 74

the mission in life for which he seems to have been destined. As a public-spirited citizen of Ellenville, he stands in the highest rank, as a legal practitioner his reputation is wide and commendable. He has won he regard and confidence of the community and has been honored by the electorate with important office. His youth is still with him, the road to greater achievement is opened before him. It is the undivided opinion of all that he will tread it fearlessly and successfully, just as he has already carved a pathway to his present standing.

LeRoy Lounsberry was born in Brooklyn, New York, May 6, 1893, a son of William and Ella (Campbell) Lounsberry, of Scotch ancestry and of the fourth generation in America. William Lounsberry was a real estate operator in Brooklyn, a son of Llewellyn S. Lounsberry, who was in the Union Army at the outbreak of the Civil War, was wounded in the battle of Bull run and died a year later of his injuries. His regiment was the 71st, New York. Joshua Lounsberry, great-grandfather of LeRoy, was born in Northcastle, Connecticut, in 1745, son of on of four brothers who came from France with the Huguenots in 1700. The present family takes special pride in its patriotic ancestry and points to the story of one of its members, Adrianna Day (Lounsberry), who was proprietor of a tavern in Murray Street, New York, at the time of the British occupation. It was from this tavern that the first American flag to be raised upon the evacuation of the British Army before the ragged soldiers of George Washington was put up by the hands of Adrianna Day. ordered by provost Marshal Cunningham to haul it down, she struck him with a broom and defied him to touch the emblem.

LeRoy Lounsberry was educated in the public schools of New York City and was afterward graduated from the Kingston Academy, in 1911. He then took the course at the Albany Law School and was graduated from that institution with the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1915. Coming to Ellenville, he became associated with Judge William D. Cunningham in the practice of law and continued in that until the appointment of his elder associate to the bench of the State Court of Claims. This partnership was resumed upon the retirement of Judge Cunningham, but since 1925 Mr. Lounsberry has practiced independently. He served as deputy clerk of the Board of County supervisors for three years ands as special assistant in the office of the district attorney for five years. On the Republican ticket he was elected a police justice in 1917 and served on the Ellenville Draft Board during the World War. He is an adherent of the Presbyterian Church, and holds membership in the Knights of Pythias, Junior Order United American mechanics, and Kingston Lodge, No. 550, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.

CLARENCE M. LOWES

President of one of the leading banks of Long Island, which institution's resources he has increased almost fifteen-gold since assuming office, Clarence M. Lowes, of Flushing, is not only one of his community's foremost financial figures, but he is also one of the prominent factors in all projects having for their object the advancement of his fellow-citizens. Mr. Lowes has been particularly active in working for the local hospital, for which he raised a large sum of money, in excess of the amount first thought of, and he has given freely of his time and ability in child welfare work.

Mr. Lowes was born in Brooklyn, July 28, 1872, the son of George and Margaret (McCord) Lowes, the former a well-known ship-builder and a native of New York City. He died in 1914; Mrs. Margaret (McCord) Lowes, passing in 1921. Following his education in the public and high schools of Brooklyn, Mr. Lowes entered the Dime Savings Bank, of Williamsburgh, at the age of sixteen years, taking the post of junior clerk. His ability as a financier was soon recognized and he rose through the various offices of the institution until, in 1906, he became treasurer. In 1924 he was made firs vice-president of this bank, his connection with the concern having continued without intermission for over forty years. In 1913, Mr. Lowes was elected president of the Flushing national Bank, At that time the bank's assets were $350,000,. And since taking the post of president of the institution he has increased the assets to over five million dollars. In addition to his important duties with the Flushing National and the Dime Savings Banks, Mr. Lowes is a director of the Flushing Cooperative Savings & Loan Association, another of Long Island's leading financial institution. He was also active in the organization of the Pomonok Country Club, which, starting with assets of three hundred thousand dollars, could today easily dispose of the club property for over $1,500,000. This has been made possible by the shrewd selection of location and the foresight of the organizers. Mr.

Page 45

Lowes is an active member of the queens Chamber of Commerce, as well as of the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce, and is ever alert to lend his aid to any of the projects advanced by these bodies for the benefit of the boroughs. He is a member of the National Council of Boy Scouts; director of the Queensborough Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, and first president of the Child Tuberculosis Association. His chief recreation are gold and fishing, and he is an active member of the Tuscarora Fishing Club, of Delaware County, with which he has been affiliated for over fifteen years. among his many business interests, Mr. Lowes also hold a directorship in the First Mortgage Guarantee company, of Long Island City.

It was as chairman of the drive for funds for Flushing Hospital that Mr. Lowes displayed his excellent financial abilities. The drive was started for the sum of half a million dollars, but splendid organization secured the sum of $875,000. Although still connected with and interested in the hospital, Mr. Lowes retired from active work on the board, in order to avoid the possibility of any factional difficulties, this step meeting with general regret from those who had been associated with him in his great work. During the World War, his eloquence, energy and spirit were in great demand, and he was chairman for Queens county, and he was speakers for Queens county of "four-minute" speakers in the selling of Liberty Bonds. The religious affiliations of Mr. Lowes are with the Congregational Church. He is a leading member of the flushing United Association, and of the Bankers' club, of Brooklyn.

In 1901, Mr. Lowes married Janet M. Lamb, native of Brooklyn. Mr. and Mrs. Lowes are the parents of two children: 1. Marvin McCord, a graduate of William college, Williamstown, Massachusetts, from which institution he graduated with the highest honors; he has chosen the literary field for his career. 2. Lorna L., a graduate of Hillside School, Norwalk, Connecticut.

DR. IRA P. SMITH

Though it is now (1928) twenty-three years since the passing of Dr. Ira P. Smith, one of the most eminent physicians and surgeons of this section of New York State, the memory of that distinguished citizen still is kept green in Steuben County and especially in Bath and its environs, where his chief activities in this chosen profession were carried on, and no attempt to chronicle the events and movements which contributed to the development of that region during his generation would be complete without some review of his life and services. Together with his professional activities he was also an ardent church worker and in his work as teacher of the Henry Hull Bible Class of the Presbyterian church at Bath he again demonstrated his wroth tot he community, which altogether made him a humanitarian of the highest order and one whose deed performed in life are to the county an everlasting reminder of his life and his works.

Ira P. Smith was the son of William Smith, who removed from Vermont to Steuben County, new York, at an early date, and he and his wife passed their lives here, both being representatives of families founded in New England in the Colonial epoch of our national history. Dr. Ira P. Smith, whose birth occurred August 19, 1835, was one of four children. His early education was obtained in the Union Seminary at Rogersville, his native place, after which he taught school for some time and then spent one year at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, before returning to Rogersville, where he studied medicine under Dr. Charles S. Ackley of that place. He later took a medical course at Albany Medical School, from which he was graduated in 1859 with degree of Doctor of Medicine, and then removed to Avoca, where he established himself in private practice, remaining there until 1862, when he enlisted in the Union Army, and, with the rank of assistant surgeon served for two years. He then removed his office to Bath, New York, and this continued to be the scene of his professional activities until his death; his pronounced skill in the field of medicine and surgery bringing him well merited recognition and a large and remunerative patronage. Dr. smith served as Coroner of Steuben county, and for many years was a member of the Board of Pension Examiners of Steuben County. At the time of his death he was health officer of Bath and was the oldest member of the Steuben County Medial Society, which body he had served in the capacity of president. Both he and his wife were members of the Presbyterian church of Bath, in which they were ardent workers, the doctor being a prominent factor in his duties as instructor of the Henry Hill Bible Class.

Dr. Smith married Harriet Amelia Smith, granddaughter of Andrew smith, a native of Scotland, who came to America in 1792 with Colonel Williamson, the first settler in Steuben county. For some time Andrew Smith had

Page 76

charge of the farming operation of his friend and associate, Colonel Williamson, and supervised reclamation of much of the land in Steuben County. In 1798 he established his home on his farm a short distance from Bath, and there he resided until his death. He was a man of strong character and a skillful surveyor, and his name is on the roster of the sterling pioneers of Steuben County. His son, John J. smith, was also a successful agriculturist and resided on the home farm. Dr. and Mrs. Smith were the parents of four children: 1. Alice L., the only surviving member of the immediate family, is a resident of Bath. 2. Fannie, who died in infancy. 3. Edward R., deceased. 4. Dr. Douglass H., deceased, a biography of whom accompanies this review. Mrs. Smith passed away December 11, 1907, at the age of sixty-five years.

The death of Dr. smith, which occurred May 26, 1905, caused deep regret to all who knew him, and was a loss to Bath of one of its most representative citizens, for his life was exemplary in all its phases, and the example and inspiration of his character is a heritage to all who knew him.

DR. DOUGLASS HARRY SMITH

The life of Dr. Smith, though comparatively a short one, was crowned with successful achievement and closed on March 4, 1926, when he had but reached the age of forty-six. For about twenty years he practiced his profession Bath, his native place; medicine and surgery in which he rose to the highest pinnacle being his first and most profound expression, but together with this particular line of advance he was ever on the alert and in sympathy with all measures and enterprises projected or the general welfare of the community, never failing to give his earnest support to such movements, and thus was recognized as one of Bath's most valued citizens. A true son of his father who, in his day, held a position in the foremost ranks with the skilled men of his profession, Douglass Harry Smith had also in his short career attained the position of being an outstanding figure in medical and surgical practice in this section of the State.

Dr. smith was born in Bath, October 22, 1879, son of the late Dr. Ira P. and Harriet A. Smith, a sketch of whom accompanies this review. The former for many years had been engaged in the practice of medicine in Bath. Douglass Harry Smith received his elementary education in the public schools of his native place and at Haverling Academy, from which latter institution he was graduated in the class of 1898. For several yeas he was employed by the Jones Drug Company, and here became a registered pharmacist. Having, in the meantime, determined to take up the profession of medicine for his life work, he matriculated in the medical department of the University of Buffalo, completing the course and receiving the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1905. Almost immediately after graduating he returned to Bath and established himself in the practice of his profession and continued to practice there until his death. His clientele grew rapidly, both in his general practice and in his surgical work, he being a most ardent student, always keeping abreast of advancement made in the science of his profession and thus with his knowledge, occupied with his frequently demonstrated accuracy and skill, he readily attained success and the highest regard and esteem of all those with whom he came in contact. In private practice he was associated with Dr. Zeno Selleck, and with Dr. Wynkoop his association was especially centered in the building of the Bath Hospital, his medical and surgical skill contributing in no small measure to the high reputation of this institution among those of its kind throughout this section of New York State. Dr. Smith was a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons; member of the American Medical Association; ex-president of the Steuben Medical Association; and member of Omega Upsilon Phi fraternity. His professional training was supplemented by his attendance at the Mayo Clinics at Rochester, Minnesota, and the valuable knowledge that he obtained there aided him largely in his work. He was also a member of the International clinic which, in 1925, devoted several weeks to visiting the prominent medical and surgical centers of Europe. Here again, he was enabled to become thoroughly informed concerning the latest methods and discoveries of the profession.

Early in his career he became active in the civic affairs of Bath. For twelve years he was Coroner of Steuben County; he was a director of the Farmers' and mechanics' trust company; director of the Salubria Realty Corporation, which operates the Bath Country club; active in the Bath Chamber of Commerce; a member of the Bath Automobile Club; Bath Rotary Club, of which he was a charter member; and belong to the Free and Accepted Masons. He also held membership in the Steuben Club. His religious preference was given to the Presbyterian faith and he attended the First church of this denomination in Bath.

On January 9, 1924, Dr. Douglass Harry

Page 77

Smith married Marianna Crook, a daughter of Andrew and Mary Caroline (Doty) Crook. Mrs. Smith resides in Bath.

RALPH EDWARD MASKIELL

President of the Willcox Construction Company, with headquarters at No. 1 Bridge Plaza, Long Island City, Ralph Edward Mashiell is numbered among the progressive citizens of this flourishing community. He is a native of Long Island, and was born at Astoria, February 2, 1895, one of the five children of William and Emily (Knouer) Maskiell.

In the public schools Mr. Maskiell secured his first academic instruction, which he continued in Bryant High School, and in 1911, at the age of sixteen years, began his business career, with E. H. Robbins & Sons, bonds, New York City. In 1918, as inspector for the Texas Oil Company, he came into contact with the Turner construction company, and formed a connection with this organization. As superintendent for the Turner company he had charge of construction, and assisted in the building of a number of reinforced concrete ship hulls, which later were condemned for maritime use by the United States Government because of the porous nature of the substance. The experiment with concrete hulls, while interesting, has never proved successful. In 1920 Mr. Maskiell organized the Willcox Construction Company of Long Island City, and as chief executive has directed the affairs of this concern most successfully through the years succeeding. Among the company's clients have been such well-known organizations as the Long Island City "Daily Star," the Cassidy Company, Community Church of Jackson heights, Crane Company, A. C. Horn & Company, Swift & Company, Simmons & Company, and numerous others. Within the last few years (1928) construction work executed by Mr. Maskiell's organization has totaled several millions of dollars.

Mr. Maskiell is affiliated fraternally with the Free and Accepted Masons, as member of Lodge No. 999, and Bayside Alton chapter, Royal Arch Masons; and with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Lodge No. 878. He is an active member of the Rotary club of Queens, chairman of the membership committee of the Queens Chamber of Commerce, and member of the chamber's board of directors. He is a member also of the Shelter Rock County Club, and the Long Island Real Estate Board.

On December 20, 9121, Mr. Maskiell was united in marriage with Helen Richardson, daughter of William and Ellen Richardson, of Astoria. Both Mr. and Mrs. Maskiell are communicants of the Methodist Church, of Flushing, and reside in Flushing, at No. 4022 One Hundred and Fifth-eighth Street. Mr. Maskiell has his offices at No. 1 Bridge Plaza, Long Island City.

WILLIAM JOSEPH MALONEY

Born in Brooklyn, May 22, 1886, William Joseph Maloney secured a sound academic training in the public schools and began his career without delay. His first position was with Calhoun Robbins, dry goods, 410 Broadway, new York City, as stock clerk. Later, he became connected with the New York Department of Water Supply, Gas and Electricity, and in 1905, only nineteen years of age, secured employment in the Department of Finance, New York City. In this department he has continued through the years succeeding until the present time (1928), and now has his office at No. 18 Court Street, Long Island City. close attention to work charged to him, minute application o detail no matter how small or seemingly unimportant, brought him quick recognition soon after 1905; his ability and tremendous capacity for continuous industry brought promotion, and today he is head of the Receiver of Taxes Office, Long Island City. Endowed liberally with those attributes which tend to enrich one in friendship, Mr.. Maloney's friends are legion. His is a pleasant personality, seldom encountered as complement to talent so marked. Modest as to his achievements in civic endeavors and in other directions which are not noted here, his modesty is not of that form which is tinged with ego. Those closest to Mr. Maloney predict added accomplishments of import to his career. While the affairs of a busy life have exacted of his time and effort, Mr. Maloney has not failed to act the part of a public-spirited citizen. A Democrat, his influence politically has been exercised to the good of the people at large. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus, and he is a member of the Democratic Club of Queens. As a communicant of the Catholic church, his conduct both public and private has been exemplary.

In Brooklyn, on February 3, 1913, Mr. Maloney was united in marriage with Elizabeth Reilly, daughter of Bernard and Mary Reilly. Mr. Reilly was engaged in business as grocer, in Columbia Street, Brooklyn. Mr. and Mrs. Maloney are the parents of six children, and

Page 78

they reside at No. 462 Beach 126th Street, Belle Harbor, Long Island.

CHARLES McMILLAN

One of the eldest and longest established firms in Kingston is the ship chandler business conducted at present by Charles McMillan. The business was begun in 1849, about the time when the gold rush in California was attracting thousands to the Pacific Coast. Donald McMillan came to this country from Scotland in 1849 and, finding his way to Kingston, situated on the Hudson River at the mouth of Rondout Creek, he saw the opportunity for supplying the ships that carried on the trade of this great State and opened his business to fill their needs. Kingston at the time was one of the important river ports, and its old State House, built in 1676, where the first Legislature of new York held its session, gave an aspect of dignity and stability to the place. Here the McMillan business fitted in with exactly what was needed to make the place more of a trading point and here the ships have come for supplies ever since. Donald McMillan was succeeded by his son, Archibald McMillan, who ran the business according to lines and policies established by his father; but, realizing the developments of all methods in the mechanical and commercial world, he progressed with his business. In the meantime, Kingston was growing and increasing her advantages to her citizens by her institutions of learning, her foundries and factories, and Mr. McMillan, as a citizen, had his part in all of these affairs. He was active until the time of his death in 1897. The business then descended to his son, Charles McMillan, who for fifteen years ran it as his forefathers had done. Since then, Mr. McMillan has been interest in the river shipping trade.

Charles McMillan was born in Kingston, New York, on August 31, 1874, the son of Archibald and Sarah Martha McMillan. He was brought up in the town of his birth, where he took advantage of the educational facilities and competed a course at the Ulster Academy in Kingston, where he graduated in 1897. In the following year, 1898, when this country entered into war with Spain, Charles Macmillan answered the call to the colors and enlisted in the First New York Infantry from Kingston. He entered as a private, and in the course of the war he was sent to Hawaii, where he did garrison duty at Honolulu for seven months. In all he was in service about eighteen months. This was an interesting and valuable experience for a young man in those day and from its lessons Mr. McMillan has added to his general education. He is a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. In his political affiliations, he has been a staunch Republican and is always among the active members of that party during a political campaign. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

At Kingston, in 1903, Charles McMillan married Katherine Roos, daughter of A. M. and Ages (Clinton) Roos. Mr. Roos kept a hotel at Kingston, coming here form Gardiner, Ulster County, new York. Mr. and Mrs. McMillan had one child, Charles, who was born in 1905 and died in 1924. He was a graduate of the Kingston High School.

 

The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie Axtman

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.

2004

[Index][Book Index][NY][AHGP]