The History of New York State
Biographies, Part 16

Editor, Dr. James Sullivan

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam



Since his first entrance into the world of business, Roy William Van Buren, of Gloversville, Fulton county, has been engaged in life insurance matters, and he has acquired a great following of personal friend and an ever-increasing clientele among the most representative citizens of the community.

Mr. Van Buren was born in Philmont, Columbia County, January 31, 1890, the son of William Everett and Ida Van Buren, the former a prominent operator in the knitting business in Philmont. After taking the usual course in the public schools of Philmont, Mr. Van Buren entered the high school, in which spent two years. He then became associated with the Equitable Life Insurance Company in Albany, with which corporation he remained for about two years, at the end of which time he became traveling representative of the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company for another two years. He then returned to the life insurance business, becoming agent for the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company at Glens Falls, Warren County. From that town he was transferred to Watertown, Jefferson County, where for four years he acted as assistant manager for the company. He was then made manager of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company for Fulton County and for part of Monroe County, with headquarters at Gloversville, where he now has charge of all the business of his company in his surrounding territory.

During the World War Mr. Van Buren was very active in all the drives and efforts for the Liberty Loan and the Red Cross. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and is interested in all movements for the community benefit. He is a member of the Reformed Church, while Mrs. Van Buren is affiliated with the Methodist church.

In Oneida, Madison county, Mr. Van Buren married Florence Avery Seybert, daughter of a well-known Canadian family. Mr. and Mrs. Van Buren are the parents of one child, a daughter, Sara Ann, born February 13, 1922.


In the medial circles of New York, the late Dr. Augustus Pearce Northridge of Brooklyn occupied a high place in the esteem of his fellow-members of the medical profession, while among his patients and fellow-citizens, he was a beloved and respected figure. Having the interest of humanity at heart, Dr. Northridge was untiring in his devotion to the noble cause of alleviating the suffering of the human race, specializing particularly in children's diseases and affections, in which branch he was eminently successful. His great ability and sterling qualities brought him an extensive practice and he achieved for himself a name that will not be forgotten in the history of medicine in New York, giving his services freely to various children's hospitals and homes, and engaging in much charitable work which was rarely disclosed. He was frequently called upon as consulting physician, while as a diagnostician, he exhibited his keen and brilliant knowledge and his wonderful power of observation. His love of children and the care and consideration with which he treated them made him extremely popular with his young patients, who were quite often brought to him by their parents from the Bronx, from New Jersey, and from other distant points.

Dr. Northridge was born in Brooklyn, October 15, 1877, son of William J. and Carrie (Pearce) Northridge, both of whom are now deceased. William J. Northridge was a prominent decorator in Brooklyn for many years.

Dr. Augustus Pearce Northridge was educated in the public school of Brooklyn, and after graduating from the Boys' High School, entered Long Island Medical College, from which he graduated wit the degree of Doctor of medicine in the class of 1897. He served his internship in St. John's Hospital, in Yonkers, from April to December, 1898. He then began the general practice of his profession and opened an office at No. 121 Covert Street, Brooklyn, being successful fro the start; at the same time, acting as physician to

Page 90

the Seaside Home, a babies' hospital in Coney Island, giving his services freely to the worthy charity during the yeas of his association with this institution. He was later connected with St. Christopher's Hospital, on Hicks Streets, as institution for babies only, for fifteen years and he was pediatrician at the Bushwick Hospital for ten years. In 1912, he moved to No. 1177 Bushwick Avenue, and continued his practice there until 1918. In 1917, he began his specialization in children's diseases, and in 1918 moved his office to No. 87 Halsey Street, where he practiced until the time of his death. His warm and generous heart and his kind and cheerful manner made him a friend of both children and adults and his passing was sadly mourned by all who knew and loved him. Popular with his fellow-citizens,, he was an active member of the University club, of Brooklyn, and of the Riding and Driving Club. Extremely fond of dogs, he won many prizes with his dogs at various exhibitions, while his particular hobby was hunting for which he never missed making a trip at least once a year. Dr. Northridge was a member of the American Medical Association, and of the Pediatric-Kings County Medical Society of Brooklyn. His death occurred January 12, 1927, in Brooklyn.

Dr. Augustus Pearce Northridge married, November 12, 1906, Anna Marshall, daughter of John William and Ann Elizabeth (Stevens) Marshall. Mr. Marshall was a printer for many years in Brooklyn and died in 1907, while Mrs. Marshall is still a resident of Brooklyn (1928). Dr. and Mrs. Northridge ha four children: 1. Doris Pearce, born October 29, 1907. 2. Ruth Stevens, born March 3, 1910. 3. John Augustus, born May 17, 1912, 4. Richard Jay, born January 18, 1920.


A member of a Family in which interest and participation in the affairs of the Republican parts of the State of New York have become a tradition, Mr. Linen has been actively working for the success of the Republican party and its principles eve since he reached voting age, in 1910. He was born in Cohoes, Albany County, march 21, 1889, a son of Bernard Linen, one of the oldest and most effective Republican workers in the city of Cohoes.

Frederick B. Linen was educated in the public and parochial schools of Cohoes, and after leaving school entered the banking business, in which he made rapid progress and in which he has reached a prominent position as an investment banker, being in recent year connected with the Great States Securities Company of Albany. He is also chairman of the advisory board of the Capitol Mortgage and finance company of Albany, and secretary and a member of the board of directors of the City Extension Corporation, which also maintains office in Albany. His own Albany office is located at No. 12 Pine Street. he is a member of Cohoes Lodge, No. 1317, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; Cohoes Council, No. 120, Knights of Columbus; and the Holy Name Society of St. Bernard's Church, Cohoes. In politics, his ardent work for the Republican Party has brought him well-deserved recognition in the form of his election to the Albany County republican committee, of which he has been a member for seven years, beginning with 1918. In November, 1924,m he was elected a member of the Assembly and in the 1925 session did effective work, being a member of several important committees, including those on banks, public printing and public institutions. His religious affiliations are with the Roman Catholic church, and more particularly with St. Bernard's Church, of Cohoes, the largest and most influential Roman Catholic Church of that town. Mr. Linen makes his home in Cohoes, at No. 221 Saratoga Street.


For more than a quarter of a century engaged in educational work, and throughout almost all of this time connected with educational institutions of New York State, Dr. Brubacher has filled most ably the important position of president of the New York State College for Teachers since 1914, in which he has exerted a powerful and notable influence in the training of teachers and in the general advancement of education in the State of New York. He was born in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, July 27, 1870, a son of Daniel and Catherine (Royer) Brubacher.

Abram Royer Brubacher was educated in the public schools and at Phillips-Andover Academy, Andover, Massachusetts, from which he graduated in 1893, going fro there to Yale University. Having graduated from the college department in 1897 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, he taught for two yeas as an instructor at Williston Academy, Easthampton, Massachusetts, after which he returned to Yale for further studies as Soldiers' Memorial Fellow in 1899 and 1900. During the next two years he continued his post-graduate work, and at the same time was an instructor in Greek at Yale College, until he

Page 91

received the Doctor of Philosophy degree in 1902, in which year he accepted the position of principal of the high school at Gloversville, New York. In 1905 he went to Schenectady, New York, in the same capacity, serving until 1908, when he was appointed Superintendent of Schools at Schenectady. This position, in which he showed much ability and energy, he continued to hold until 1914, when he became president of the New York State College for Teachers at Albany, where he continued since then. He is also a trustee of the Albany Boys' Academy; the Albany Orphan Asylum, of which he is president of the board of managers; the Albany Library; the Albany Girl Scouts. Naturally he has taken a prominent part in the affairs of educational societies and he is a member of the National Educational Association; the Society of College Teachers of Education; the New York State Teachers' Association, of which he was president in 1913 and 1914; and the New York State Council of Superintendents. He is also a member of Pi Beta Phi Fraternity, Andover chapter, and of Phi Beta Kappa, Yale chapter, and has been president of the Phi Beta Kappa Association, and is also a member of the Albany University Club. He makes frequent contributions of articles to educational magazines and journals, and is the author of "High School English," in two volumes, with Dorothy E. Snyder, published 1917-20, and of "The Spirit of America," in four volumes, with Jane L. Jones, published in 1920. His principal source of recreation is horseback riding, while his religious affiliations are with the Presbyterian Church, in which he is an elder.

Dr. Brubacher married, at Shamokin, Pennsylvania, in 1897, Rosa M. Haas, and they the parents of one son, John S. The family residence is located at No. 87 South lake Avenue, Albany.


An important figure for many years in the life of Jamestown, New York, Hubert Elmer Volney Porter served for a quarter of a century as president and principal of the Jamestown Business College Association, Limited, of which he is still vice-president, an educational institution which owes its continued success to Mr. Porter's able direction of affairs. The same fine ability which he brought to his own work, he has given unselfishly to much service in the public interest, considering community activity no less worthy of his best attention than his own private enterprises. His business successes and high conception of civic duty have brought him many honors and wide esteem throughout Chautauqua County. For the past ten years, though devoting a portion of his time to educational pursuits, he has been president of the Dahlstrom Metallic Door Company, an outstanding institution of Jamestown that ranks with the foremost among metal industries of the country.

Mr. Porter is a member of an old and distinguished American family, originally of English stock.

  1. John Porter, founder of the line in this country, came from Dorset, England, to the American colonies, and in 1637 was at Hingham, Massachusetts. He settled in Salem, Massachusetts, in 1644. At Hingham he was constable and deputy to the General Court, and also had the distinction of establishing the first tannery in New England, while in later life he was reputed to be the largest landholder in Salem village.
  2. Samuel Porter, son of John Porter, married Hannah Dodge.
  3. John (1) Porter, son of Samuel and Hannah (Dodge) Porter, married Lydia Herrick.
  4. Samuel (1) Porter, son of John (2) and Lydia (Herrick) Porter, married Sarah Bradstreet, daughter of Governor Simon Bradstreet, and Anna (Dudley) Bradstreet (first woman of letters in America). Samuel (2) Porter held the rank of sergeant in the Colonial forces.
  5. John (3) Porter, son of Samuel (2) and Sarah (Bradstreet) Porter, served as sergeant in the Continental Army, participating in the battle of Bennington, and being present at Burgoyne's surrender at Saratoga. He was commissioned captain in 1799 for distinguished service in action at the battle of Bennington. In earlier life he married Mary Kimball.
  6. VI John (4) Porter, son of John (3) and Mary (Kimball) Porter, was a major of the Sixth Regiment in the Patriot Army of the Revolution, subsequently served with the Thirteenth Regiment under colonel Edward Wiggleworth, under whom he also held the rank of brigade inspector; later served on the military staff of General Lafayette, and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. Major Porter married Lydia Baker.
  7. VII Israel Porter, son of John (4) and Lydia (Baker) Porter, was one of the founders of Gouverneur, New York. He married Hannah Belknap, and settled at Gouverneur, where he established the homestead and engaged in the milling business. In 1835, accompanied by his eldest son, Israel Washington Porter, he journeyed to the wilderness of Wisconsin, west of Milwaukee, where he laid out farms for his three sons.
  8.  Israel Washington Porter, son of Israel and Hannah (Belknap) Porter, was one of the pioneer settlers of Waukesha County, Wisconsin, where he built and operated the first sawmill and the first grist-mill established in the territory of Wisconsin. He married Lydia Harris, and they became the parents of two children. Shortly after the Civil War he disposed of his interests in Wisconsin and retired from active life to devote his declining years to fruit culture in Vineland, New Jersey, Mr. Porter was a man of much force of character, and it was generally felt that any interest with which he was identified possessed in him a wise and vigorous promoter.
  9. IX Volney Homer Porter, son of Israel Washington and Lydia (Harris) Porter, was one of the '49ers who crossed the plains in quest of gold. Returning to Wisconsin after two years, he married Adelia E. Jackson. He served through the Civil War in the Twenty-eighth Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, being appointed sergeant in 1864 and served on the Mexican border with his regiment until August, 1865, after which he engaged in horticultural pursuits in New Jersey.
  10. X Hubert Elmer Volney Porter, of this record, son of Volney Homer and Adelia E. (Jackson) Porter, was born at Waukesha, Wisconsin, on November 21, 1861. Descended as he was from a long line of notable ancestors, he inherited native talents and energy which early promised a successful career in the field of his choice. Following his preliminary education in Wisconsin and New Jersey, he was graduated in 1885 from the scientific department of Pennington Seminary collegiate Institute in New Jersey and later attended Dickinson College. He was also graduated from the Eastman national Business College at Poughkeepsie, New York, receiving the degree Master of Accounts.

Deciding upon an educational career, Mr. Porter taught for some years in the public schools of New Jersey, and at Baptist College, Woodstock, Ontario. In 1892, he was chosen president and principal of the Jamestown Business College Association, Limited, and received annually the tribute of a re-election to that important and responsible position until his retirement to take up other pursuits, July 1, 1927.

This institution was founded in 1886, and in 1889 was incorporated as a business college with authority to issue diplomas to its graduates. Thus, while it was in existence before Mr. Porter became its head, its remarkable expansion and rise to pre-eminent position among similar schools in the State did not begin before he assumed control, and in a very real sense this enterprise has been his enterprise and its success must be attributed to his guiding hand. The Jamestown school is co-educational in nature and draws its patronage chiefly from Western New York and Northern Pennsylvania. The splendid structure which is now its home was erected in 1910, and with its completely modern equipment, makes this one of the best appointed business colleges in the entire country. It is impossible to indicate with any adequacy the manner in which Mr. Porter has made this institution responsive to his personal control and vitalizing energy, but the high reputation of the school is widely known.

In spite of the exhaustive attention he has given to every detail connected with the Jamestown Business College, Mr. Porter has found other use for his diversified talents, for his opinion on matters of importance is highly regarded and frequently sought by large interests, both civic and commercial. In 1918 he was elected president of the Dahlstrom Metallic Door Company, his services in this connection, proving repeatedly of the greatest value, while in another field he is secretary of the National Association of Accredited Commercial Schools. In the civic life of Jamestown he has long been active, servicing for three years as president of the local Civic Service Commission, and he has also been elected alderman for six terms of two years each. In this connection he was chosen president of the board eighty years in succession, in which capacity he has frequently served as acting mayor, whenever the city's chief executive was absent from his post of duty. In November,. 1927, he was elected to the State Assembly, representing the First District of Chautauqua County, and this year was re-elected to that important office.

Since 1891, Mr. Porter has been a director of the Jamestown Young Men's Christian Association and at different times has for several terms filled the office of president. While thus serving, in 1900, the sixty thousand-dollar

Page 93

home of the association was erected. In 1897 he was ordained an elder of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and for three years he served as president of the Erie Conference Epworth League. For two years he was president of the fourth general conference of the league, embracing seven conferences.

During the period of the Spanish-American War, Mr. Porter enlisted in the 113th Separate Company, National Guard, State of New York, serving as corporal and later as sergeant. He is affiliated, fraternally, with the Free and Accepted Masons, and in this great order is a member of all bodies of the York Rite and of the Scottish Rite, including the thirty-second degree of the Consistory. He is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

On January 26, 1893, Hon, Hubert Elmer Volney Porter, married Grace Estelle Townley, daughter of Benjamin Franklin and Jennie (Stevens) Townley. Mr. and Mrs. Porter are the parents of two children: Carolyn Margaret, now the wife of C. C. Pinder; and John Townley Porter. The family residence at Jamestown is situated at No. 209 West Seventh Street.


Not only in his native State, but throughout the whole country, Judge Alphonso Trumbour Clearwater, of Kingston, New York, is known for his contribution to literature, history and legal subjects and as an able jurist who can and does speak with authority on many subjects. He is the son of Isaac and Emily Baoudoin (Trumpbour) Clearwater, of Ditch and Huguenot ancestry.

Alphonso Trumpbour Clearwater was born at West Point, New York, on September 11, 1848. He was educated at the old Anthon Latin Grammar School of New York City, and at the Kingston Academy at Kingston, New York, of which John Norton Pomeroy, Doctors of Laws, was principal. In 1903, in recognition of his distinguished public service, he was awarded the degree of Doctor of Laws by Rutgers College. He was admitted to the bar of New York State in 1871, and in 1877 he was elected district attorney for Ulster County, re-elected in 1880 and again in 1883. He twice declined the nomination for Congress, which was tendered to him in 1884 and again in 1886. In 1895 he began a very important work as commissioner to supervise the translation into English of the old Dutch records of Ulster County, New York, which was dated from 1661 to 1684. This important and responsible undertaking he completed in 1898. He has repeatedly been a delegate to the Republican National, State, Judicial, Congressional, and Senatorial conventions. He was elected County Judge of Ulster County, New York, in 1889, re-elected in 1895. In 1898 he resigned the Judgeship of Ulster county to accept an appointment by the Governor as Justice of the Supreme Court of New York to fill the vacancy made by the election of Alton B. Parker as Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals. Judge Clearwater was appointed by Governor Hughes as a member of the States Probation Commission in 909 and reappointed in 1913. He has been vice-president of that commission since that date. In 1916, he was appointed by Governor Whitman as commissioner of the State Reservation at Niagara, and for twelve years has been the president of that commission. He is a trustee of Rutgers University and of the New Jersey College of Women; in 1904 he was a delegate of the New York State Bar Association to the Universal Congress of Lawyers and Jurists, held in connection with the Louisiana Purchase Exposition at St. Louis. He was chairman of the commission of the New Yorke was elect4H

State Bar Association to suggest reform in introduction of medical expert testimony in civil and criminal trails, and chairman of the joint commission of the New York State Bar Association, the State Medical Association, the Homeopathic Medical Society of the State of New York, the Academy of Medicine, the Society of Medical Jurisprudence, to urge the passing of a law regulating the introduction of medical testimony, and framed a law which was adopted by the Legislature of the State of New York, permitting the trial judge to select medical experts on his own motion. He represented the State of New York on the American Bar Association commission to oppose the recall of judges and the recall of judicial decisions. At the request of the editor of the "North American Review," and the New York Academy of Medicine, he wrote an article on medical expert testimony which was published in the "North American Review" in June, 1909, five thousand copies of which separately were printed for distribution at the request of the American Bar Association. He was a delegate-at-;l to the Constitutional Convention, to revise the Constitution of the State of New York in 1915. He was chairman of the committee on the prevention and punishment of crime; vice-chairman of the committee on education and a member of other important

Page 94

committees of that convention. He is most active in his writings and his public speeches in maintaining the traditions and history of the early Dutch and Huguenot settlers in this country. In 1888 he was especially honored in Europe where, at Paris, France, in June of that year, he delivered the address at the opening of the great Protestant mission of Menilmontant, for which he was decorated by the government of France; and delivered an address in response to the address of welcome by the Holland Society made by the burgomaster of Rotterdam, Holland, on the occasion of the visit of the Holland Society to that country. He was one of the founders of the Holland Society of Ulster County, was its first vice-president, and has since been its president. He is one of the founders, and since its formation, a vice-president of the Huguenot Society of America. He is an honorary member of the St. Andrew's Society, of Charleston, South Carolina, and a life-member of the Huguenot Society of South Carolina. He is president of the old Senate House association, of Kingston and also president of the Ulster County Historical Society and president of the St. Nicholas Society of New York City. He is a member of the sons of the American Revolution; the American Bar Association; president of the New York State Bar association and president of the Ulster County Bar Association. He has contributed innumerable articles of valuable history to the historic library of American history; he has written extensively on criminology, legal topics and public matters. All of his writings have been along constructive lines and his public addresses are instructive on citizenry and urge respect for and obedience to law as well as honor and respect for all American institutions. He is connected with most of the patriotic organizations, committees and commissions, to which he gives unstintingly of his time and talents. He is also a member of a number of social clubs among which are the Union, Union League, Metropolitan, Grolier, and the Century of New York City; the Automobile Club of America; the Kingston Club and the Twaalfskill Gold Club, of both of which he has been president. He makes his resident at Kingston, New York.

Judge Clearwater began his public career by association with the Hon. David Dudley field, one of the leading lawyers of the world, in the preparation of the Penal Code and the Code of Criminal Procedure, of the State of New York, which, with Mr. Field, he began in 1787, and continued until its final completion and adoption of the Legislature of New York. He was selected by the Governor of the state as a member of the commission to Revise the Judiciary Article of the Constitution of the State, and by the governor and the Joint Legislative committee to Reorganize the State's government under the recently adopted amendments to the Constitution. For twelve years he had been the chairman of the New York State Bar Association's Committee to Confer with the Court of Appeals, and the chairman of that association's Committee to Revise the Civil Practice Act.

He was chairman of the Committee on Plan and Scope and the committee on Medal and Memorials of the Commission for the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Government of the State of New York, and of the meeting of the State's first Legislature at Kingston. The celebration took place at Kingston, new York, on the 10th day of September, 1927, when the cornerstone of the Senate House Museum was laid by Governor Alfred E. Smith.

Judge Clearwater married, in 1875, Anna Houghtaling Farrand, daughter of Colonel William D. Farrand, and Julia (Houghtaling) Farrand, of San Francisco, California. Mrs. Clearwater is very prominent in the Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Among her books is "The Old Senate House of Kingston."


The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie Axtman

You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.


[Index][Book Index][NY][AHGP]