The History of New York State
Biographies, Part 19

Editor, Dr. James Sullivan

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam

 

STEPHEN A. HOYT

Almost from boyhood, and he is now seventy-nine years old, except for the interruption of the Civil War, Stephen a. Hoyt had been actively engaged in the lumber business, in and around Ticonderoga.

Born august 14, 1848, in Boone County, Illinois, son of Wendell A. and Harriett (May) Hoyt, he received his education in the district schools. In 1854, the family removed to Kankakee, Illinois, and in 1860 to Chestertown, Warren County, New York, where his father owned a farm. In 1864, Stephen A. Hoyt enlisted in Company S. 2d Veteran Cavalry, and served as a private throughout the war. On

Page 105

Being honorably discharged in 1865, he returned to Chestertown, where for sixteen years he was connected with various lumber companies, and for a time was superintendent of G. D. Youngling, at Brant Lake. For eight years, he next was associated with Henry Burleigh and Fred Vetter, and in 1896 went into business for himself at Putts Pond, near Ticonderoga, as the Putts Pond Lumber Company, taking Messrs. Burleigh and Vetter in with him. This business continued for fourteen years, and at the end of that period, Mr. Hoyt formed a partnership with W. J. Smith, under the firm name of Smith & Hoyt. In 1920, the name was changed to the Hoyt Lumber Company, and Mr. Hoyt continues as treasurer of the business, which is managed by Franklin Lewis Crandall. Mr. Hoyt is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is a Republican, and has served as a trustee of the village.

Mt. Hoyt married (first) Viola Ackerman, who died in 1903; and he married (second) Ida Moore.

M. EUGENE CLARK

From janitor of a bank to president and chairman of the board of directors, in forty years, is a record any man might well be proud of. It is the record of M. Eugene Clark, of Ellenville, than whom there is no more substantial citizen. His steady labor to promote the welfare of his community and to advance all with whom he has been associated has brought to him the reward of his fellows' high regard, displayed in his selection for offices of honor and trust.

Mr. Clark was born in Grahamville, New York, August 12, 1863. His father was Nathan C. Clark, of blooming Grove, New York, where he was born in 1818, but who lived for the greater part of his life in Grahamville. There he was a merchant and one of the original directors of the First national Bank of Ellenville, of which he was for many years the vice-president. He was also supervisor of the town of Neversink. His wife was Clarissa A. (Childs) Clark, of Monticello, New York, a daughter of Richard D. and Mary (Andrews) Childs. Both are deceased.

M. Eugene Clark received his education in the public schools of Grahamville and at Chappaqua Mountain Institute and the Fort Edward Collegiate Institute, at Ford Edward, New York. Upon leaving school he was employed by his brother, R. Dwight Clark, a merchant at South Fallsburg, New York, but soon left that to enter the employment of the First national Bank of Ellenville, in 1887, where he started as janitor. This led to bookkeeper, thence to assistant cashier, then to cashier, and in 1897, ten years after he took the janitors' broom in hand, he was elected president of the institution. The bank was founded in the year of his birth and in 1868 became housed in the present handsome building, which at that time was the most pretentious in Ellenville, and is still considered an ornate structure the president is a trustee of the Ellenville Savings Bank, a director of the Veterans' Memorial Hospital, and president of the Hospital Association since its foundation He is a Democrat in politics and a member of the Dutch Reformed church of Ellenville, of which he has been an elder for twenty-five years and was for years superintendent of its Sunday school. He has served as a member of the Democratic County committee and was a delegate tot he national convention in Baltimore that nominated Woodrow Wilson for the presidency. He has served as member of the Ellenville Board of Education for thirteen years, and served as president of the board during the last four years. He has served as a member of the Board of Trustees of Ellenville for several years he belongs to the Ellenville Noonday Club, and to the Shawangunk Country Club, being one of the organizer of that association and now on the board of governors.

Mr. Clark married (first), at Mount Kisco, New York, June 4, 1890, Mary Ella Weeks, daughter of Leonard K. and Mary (Hunt) Weeks. She died in 1902, and he married (second)(, in 1903, at Ellenville, Lenora Terwilliger, daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Wilbur) Terwilliger, and sister of the late Uriah E. Terwilliger.

James G. BEGLEY

A native and throughout most of his life a resident of Albany, new York, Mr. Begley, after having devoted himself for some years to teaching, entered business in 1922, and from 1923 to 1926 was a member of the Rehfuss & Begley machine Company of Rensselaer, New York. In the latter year he became vice-president of the Townsend Furnace & Machine Company, which position he continues to occupy with much ability and success. His energy and progressiveness have been of great value to the firm, which is one of the oldest establishments of its type in Albany, its history covering a period of more than a hundred years. Mr. Begley also takes part in the civic, fraternal and religious life of the community and is con-

Page 106

sidered one of the most successful of the younger generation of business men.

James G. Begley was born in Albany, New York, June 13, 1883, a son of John J. and Helen F. (burns) Begley, the former, deceased since 1915, for many years connected with the Albany fire Department; the latter still a resident of Albany. He was educated in the public schools of his native city and then took a course At a business college. Later he was a member of the faculty of the New York State College for Teachers. In 1922 he gave up teaching and became associated with the Simmons Machine Company, first as superintendent and later as one of this firm's traveling representatives. In 1925 he formed a partnership with John H. Rehfuss (q.v.) under the style of Rehfuss & Begley Machine Company. This business was located at Rensselaer, Albany County, and was successfully carried on until April 1, 1926, at which time the firm was dissolved and Mr. Begley became vice-president of the Townsend Furnace & Machine Company.

The Townsend Furnace & Machine Company had its inception in 1807, when Isaiah and John Townsend established a foundry business under their own name. They continued at the head of this enterprise until 1838, when John Townsend assumed control of the business. In 1844 he was succeeded by Franklin Townsend, who, in 1849, was joined by Theodore Townsend. Franklin Townsend again became the sole owner in 1857 and continued as such until 1867, in which year the name of the firm was changed to Townsend & Jackson. Eight years later, in 1875, the style of the firm was changed once more to Townsend, Jackson company, but in 1878 the former name of Townsend & Jackson was resumed. In 1883 Rufus K. Townsend came into control of the business, continuing until 1896, when the concern took the name of the Townsend Foundry Company. For the next thirty years the business was conducted under this style, until, April 1, 1926, it was reorganized as the Townsend Furnace & Machine Company. At that time the following became the executive officers of the company: Carl H. Graf, president; James G. Begley, vice-president; L. K. Devendorf, secretary; William G. Van Loon, treasurer; and John H. Rehfuss, general manager. The company is engaged in the manufacture of furnaces and machinery and in work of a similar nature. Its plant occupies an entire city block and it employs upward of fifty people, operating in a radius of one hundred and fifty miles from Albany.

Mr. Begley, from 1908 to 1913, was a member of the New York National Guard, with the rank of sergeant. Fraternally, he is associated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. In politics he is a supporter of the Democratic party, while his religious affiliations are with the Roman Catholic church, and more particularly with St. Theresa's Catholic Church of Albany. Mr. Begley makes his home in Albany.

EUGENE R. NORTON

As president of the Farmers National of Granville, as well as being sole owner of Norton Brothers, manufacturers of slate roofing, and also having been for many years prominent in the political life of Washington County, Eugene R. Norton is easily recognized as one who has been and is giving his best interests in furthering the welfare and advancement of this community.

Hiram E. Norton, father of Eugene R. Norton, was born in Granville, New York, in 1828, carrying on agricultural pursuits until his death in 1874. He married Hannah S. Potter, who passed away in 1872. Mr. and Mrs. Norton were the parents of four children:

    1. George H., deceased.
    2. James, who was a member of the firm of Norton Brothers, deceased.
    3. Eugene R.
    4. Carrie, who was the wife of Otis Hull of Granville.

Eugene R. Norton was born in Middle Granville, September 3, 1856, and after attending the public and high schools at Granville, entered the general store of Slocum B. Norton as clerk, where he remained for two years, being employed next in the general store of Stacy K. Potter for one year, after which he bought out the latter's business and ran it under the name of Eugene R. Norton until he took his brother, James E. Norton, into partnership when the business continues under the firm name of Norton Brothers. In 1876 this concern entered into the manufacture of roofing slate and carried on both interests until 1884, when they sold out the general store to George H. McDonald in order to give their entire time to their manufacturing industry, which was growing so rapidly that it demanded their entire attention. Since his brother's retirement in 1919, Eugene R. Norton has carried the business on alone, and in 1927 Norton Brothers celebrated its fifty-first anniversary. It is the largest industry of its kind in this section. Its slate mines are located in Rutland County, Vermont. For many years, Mr. Norton was a director in the Farmers Na-

Page 107

tional Bank at Granville and in 1924 he became its president, which office he still holds. He is also president of the Metterwee Cemetery Association, and a director of the National State Association.

Early in his career Mr. Norton became active in the affairs of the Republican party and in recognition of his ability as an able executive was readily given many offices of responsibility in the town, having been Town Clerk for three years, supervisor of the town for two terms of two years each, and is now (1927) serving a second term as mayor, having been elected to this office in 1925. Besides being prominent in local politics, he has also represented Washington County in the assembly for the years 1906, '07, '13, '18, '19; was alternate delegate to the National convention when William H. Taft was nominated for President of the United States; delegate to the State conventions for many years; and has been a member of the Town Republican Committee for many years. His fraternal affiliations is with Granville Lodge, No 55, Free and accepted Masons; Granville chapter, No. 266; Calvary Commandery, No. 69, of Hudson Falls; Cairo Temple; and Granville Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He also holds membership in the Masonic Club of Granville; Lake St. Catherine's Country Club of Poultney, Vermont; and the New York and Vermont State Manufacturers' Association. Mr. Norton's religious affiliation is with the Methodist Episcopal faith and he has been clerk of the board of trustees of the church of that denomination in Granville for over twenty years.

In September, 1881, at Granville, Eugene R. Norton married (first), Georgie E. Warren, of Queensbury, who died in 1918. Mrs. Norton was the daughter of Captain George a. and Calista C. (Austin) Warren, the former having raised a company at Hudson Falls and served in the Civil War, and died in Texas where, at the time of his death, he was conducting a general store. To Mr. and Mrs. Norton was born one child, Elsie Warren, who received her preliminary education in the grammar and high schools of Granville and then prepared at Bradford Academy, Bradford, Massachusetts; after which she matriculated at Wellesley College, from which she was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in the class of 1911 (of which she was its vice-president); in 1916 she married William H. Hill of Fort Edward, who is engaged in the hardware business there and is also a representative of the du Pont Powder company; to them has been born one child, Jean Norton, July 8, 1917. Mr. Norton married, as his second wife, on June 26, 1920, Harriette Louise Burtis, a resident of Granville. She was the daughter of John Thomas and Mary J. Hatch Powell and granddaughter of Levi hatch and Olive Townsend of South Hartford, New York. The greater part of Mr. Norton's time is devoted to business, but what time he can spare he spends in large part in travel, going to Florida or California during the winter months.

JAY NATHAN VANDERLYN

Son of a brave father, who lost his life in defending a neighbor from a crazed man, Jay Nathan Vanderlyn, of Kingston, was twenty-two years of age when the United States entered the World War. He waited for no draft, but answered the call of his country by enlisting immediately at Fort Slocum, New York, where he was assigned to the Air Service, and sent to Kelly Field, Texas, for training. He served throughout the war in the Air Service, came home to Kingston and established himself in electrical and automobile work, in which he since has been engaged, with ever-growing business responding to his untiring efforts to please. He is proprietor of Vanderlyn Battery Company, No. 779 Broadway, Kingston. It is of this stuff that solid citizenship is made, than which there is none more enduring than this young merchant.

Jay Norton Vanderlyn was born in Greenfield, New York, January 20, 1895, a son of Charles and Hattie A. (Fitzgerald) Vanderlyn. His father was a native of Greenfield, his mother of White Lake, Sullivan County. Charles Vanderlyn was killed by gunshot when his son, Jay Nathan was five years of age. He had gone tot he defense of a neighbor who was bring attacked by an intoxicated man, and was killed by the attacker. He was thirty-two years of age at the time and engaged in dairy farming, with a milk route in Ellenville. He came of Holland stock, his ancestors coming to this country in 1636, and settling in New York State. Hattie (Fitzgerald) Vanderlyn was a daughter of Daniel and Sarah (Freer) Fitzgerald, her father having been an active member of the Republican party in Ellenville and the holder of many important elective offices. His death occurred in 1927. His family is directly related to the famous painter, John Vanderlyn,

Page 108

who has the distinction of having painted "The Landing of Columbus," on the United States five dollar bill.

Jay Nathan Vanderlyn was educated in the Ellenville public schools, following which he engaged in various enterprises until the coming of the World War, when he enlisted. Although serving in France and under training in England during all but two months of the entire participation of the Untied States, he was not called upon for active fighting at the front and was returned to this country, with the rank of corporal, and honorably discharged at Camp Mills, New York, December 14, 1918. He is a member of the American Legion and attends the Reformed Church.

Mr. Vanderlyn married, at Dwarfskill, New York, June 26, 1920, Sadie Elizabeth peck, daughter of Earl Vetney and Clara Losed (Teller) peck. She was of "Mayflower" descent from the Teller family. The children of Jay Nathan and his wife were: 1. Donald Earl, born April, 1922. 2. Clara Janice, born April, 1924.

ALBERT BURRELL TOBEY

Living in Oneonta for more than half a century, during which he had endeared himself to the people of the community by his widespread good works, his willingness to help all deserving with whom he came in contact, Albert Burrell Tobey became a leading citizen, respected by all. He set an example of what the real citizen of a city and State might be. His life was busy with the work of his choice, yet he could always find time and energy to devote to the alleviation of suffering wherever it might be found.

Albert Burrell Tobey was born in Greenwich, New York, October 1, 1845, and died in Oneonta, February 26, 1924. He was educated at Belleville Academy and at Eastman's business College. Leaving school, he went to Harvey, Illinois, where he remained for two years, then coming to Oneonta, in 1867, where he and his father established themselves in business, five years later the firm becoming Tobey, Alton & Company. Albert b. Tobey withdrew from this combination and formed a partnership with Milton Gurney, under the firm name of Tobey & Gurney. This in turn became Tobey, Gurney & Tobey, and so remained until 1894, when the elder Tobey retired. Albert B. Tobey had interested himself in finance and had become a director in the Wilber National Bank and later its vice-president. He was an original director of the Oneonta Building & Loan Association and its vice-president for twenty-five years. He was a member of the board of visitors of the Auburn Theological Seminary, was lone a trustee of the Otsego Presbytery, and had been at several times a commissioner to the Presbyterian General Assembly. He had been a member of the Fortnightly Club from its organization, and was chairman of the Oneonta branch of the American Red cross during the World War. He was a volunteer fireman, for many years a village trustee and a member of the Board of Education. Two years before his death he was elected president of the Wilber National Bank, upon the death of George I. Wilber. His life in Oneonta extended over a period of fifty-six years and until the Saturday before his death he walked to the bank and attended to business. He had been a member of the First Presbyterian Church since 1867 and for more then forty years an elder of that congregation. For twenty-five years he was superintendent of its Sunday School and a prime mover in the erection of the present fine edifice, as he was in the building of the hall of the Young's Men's Christian Association in Oneonta, in which he was deeply and actively interested. He celebrated his golden wedding February 18, 1924.

Mr. Tobey married, at Homer, New York, February 18, 1874, Caroline E. Edwards, a daughter of Rufus Edwards, who was the second white male child born in Cortlandt County. Rufus Edwards was a farmer, a banker, a sound adviser on law and had served as County Judge. He was a direct descendent of English immigrants who came to America and settled on Long Island in 1651, many of their descendants fighting in the patriot army of the Revolution under George Washington. The mother of Caroline E. Edwards was Harriett O. (Hart) Edwards, of Clinton, New York, a member of a distinguished pioneer family. She was the mother of three sons and two daughters:

Harriet Vastine, Rufus Eugene, Jonathan Hart, William Chalmers and Caroline Eliza Edwards. The Hart family, of which she was a member, were the founders of Hartford, Connecticut. The Tobey family was equally prominent in the pioneer history of America, having settled in Massachusetts and Connecticut and some of them finding their best interests in movement into New York State. It is related that every home these pioneers built is still standing and in good preservation, one at Sharon, Connecticut, being a good example, with still another on Cape Cod, which was built

Page 109

about 1645. The children of Albert Burrell and Caroline E. (Edwards) Tobey were: 1. Henry Edwards, born in 1875, a graduate of Amherst college and now a lawyer in New York. He married Helen Keyes and is the father of Albert and Edward Tobey. 2. Katherine Hart, born in 1885, a graduate of Wellesley College and now a teacher in the State Normal School of Oneonta.

THEODORE SCHULZE

The age in which we live is often characterized as the "Machine Age." The use of machinery is growing at a constantly accelerating pace. Production is expanding more and more beyond the capacity of the individual, or even small groups of individuals, to handle it. Not only production, but every phase of economic service must now be on a large scale to meet the ever-increasing demands of modern society. These large scale operations involve the use of capital investments of a magnitude not even dreamed of at a period well within the memory of men yet living. The accumulation of such capital is one of the very important among present-day problems, calling for special talent and training and peculiar technical knowledge and ability. In this situation, as in all others, the resourcefulness of human nature is equal to the demand, and men appear equipped for this essential service. And their important can hardly be overestimated, for they provide the very life-blood of business. Wall Street is the heart through which the energizing stream of vital gold flows to needy business in all parts of the country. Among the men who have made a place for themselves in this highly exacting and competitive field of finance is Theodore Schulze.

The Schulze family of which he is a worthy scion was established in this country about the middle of the last century by his paternal grandfather, who came from Germany as a lad of twelve and located in St. Paul, Minnesota, then an outpost on the western frontier. William Lindeke, was led by the same unrest in the fatherland to seek peace and opportunity in the same American frontier town, he owned and operated one of the first flour mills in that region. he was not a politician, but took a very active part in civic affairs. Both of these grandfathers became wholesale Mercahnts, Mr. Schulze's father became a manufacturer and wholesaler of shoes, having started his business career as a jobber of that line of merchandise. He was successful and became interested in banking as a director of the First National Bank of St. Paul. He also was very active in civic affairs. So much for heredity and environment. Reared in such an atmosphere and with such family traditions, it would be expected that Theodore the younger would find his forte in the field of business, and subsequent events have shown that he made no mistake in his choice of vocation.

Theodore Schulze was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, November 16, 1889, son of Theodore A. and Emma (Lindeke) Schulze. His preparation for college was made in the public and private schools of his native city and he was graduated from Yale University in the class of 1909 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. At college he became a member of the Zeta Psi Fraternity. Having completed his formal education, he became associated with his father as a manufacturer of shoes, the title of the corporation being Foot, Schulze & company, and was thus engaged when this country became involved in the World War. At that time Theodore Schulze was president of the Foot, Schulze & Company, and his gather was chairman of the board of directors. Theodore Schulze was appointed a lieutenant to the Officers' Reserve Corps and was assigned to the production department of the Ordnance Department. Later he was promoted to captain in the same branch of the service. Captain Schulze was identified with the Ordnance Department until after the Armistice was signed. He continued as an officer of the manufacturing business in St. Paul until 1928, when the business was sold. In 1918 he located his residence in New York City, where, in association with others who are still interested with him as members of the corporation of Theodore Schulze & Company, he entered the field of financial underwriting. For some years the association was more or less informal, until 1922m, when the business was incorporated under its present title. The company does a private banking business, underwrites securities, forms syndicates in securities, and trades in this character of investments. Mr. Schulze has been president of the company since its incorporation.

In 1916, Mr. Schulze married Margaret Thompson, daughter of William B. Thompson, of Yonkers, New York. They have since been divorced. Two children were born from this union: A son, Theodore, Jr., and a daughter, Boyce Thompson.

 

The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie Axtman

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.

2004

[Index][Book Index][NY][AHGP]