The History of New York State
Editor, Dr. James Sullivan
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
ALBERT LOUIS EMERSON
A true son of his father, Albert L. Emerson, of Warrensburgh, is carrying on in his father's footsteps most successfully and, although his career is but just started, the rapid strides that he has already made give promise of far-reaching future, both in business and political endeavors.
Albert L. Emerson was born in Warrensburgh, October 17, 1902, son of the late James Alfred and Margaret Jane (McGregor) Emerson. His early education was secured in the public schools of his native place and after graduating from the local high school he matriculated at Dartmouth College, class of 1923. Upon the death of his father he entered the business world, taking over and continuing in the carrying on in large measure of the elder man's varied interests, which proves conclusively that his ability is of an exceptional quality.
Mr. Emerson is proprietor and manger of the Leland House at Schroon Lake; cashier of the Emerson Bank at Warrensburgh; president of the Warrensburgh Woolen Company; vice-president of the A. C. Emerson & Company; second vice-president of the Schroon River Paper & Pulp Company; treasurer of the Adirondack Resort Association; treasurer of the Schroon Lake Golf Club, and director of the Tait Paper and Color Industry.
He is a supporter of the Republican party and is indefatigable in his efforts to further the best efforts of his native place. He is now serving as town committeeman, District No. 2, Warrensburgh.
James ALFRED EMERSON
It has been said that "Biography is the only true history," and it is manifest that history is most worthy of preservation which embodies the lives of men who have left the world better than they found it, having given of their best to their fellow-men. Such an example is the fruitful life of the late James Alfred Emerson, of Warrensburgh, New York, he being eminently worthy of the most conscientious record and most careful preservation, for the memory of his sterling qualities will remain vividly in the minds of all who knew him.
His father, Alfred C. Emerson, was born at Newbury, new Hampshire, August 13, 1829, and died in Warrensburgh, in April, 1888. He came to this community when he was but eight years of age, living the rest of his life here and meeting with unbounded success in his every endeavor. He commenced his business career as a clerk and became a prominent merchant in every sense of the word. In 1855 he entered the lumber business, holding large interest in this industry at the time of his death. He also engaged in the manufacture of leather and founded A. C. Emerson & Company. In 1884, he organized the Emerson Bank at Warrensburgh, and was largely responsible for its rapid growth, necessitating in 1926, the erection of a new building, a splendid monument to the family's endeavors. He was also an ardent advocate for a free school, and it was through his untiring efforts that the change from the Warrensburgh Academy (a paid school) to the Union Free School was made in 1888. Mr. Emerson married Abigail Woodward, daughter of Hon. Joseph And Julia Woodward, and they became the parents of two children: 1. Louie W., who gained great prominence in both the business and political world, having served in the latter field as congressman representing the Twenty-ninth Congressional District in the House of Representatives at Washington. 2. James Alfred, of whom further.
James Alfred Emerson was born in Warrensburgh, April 25, 1865, and obtained his education in Warrensburgh Academy and at the Albany Academy at Albany, New York. His first employment was with the Delaware & Hudson Railroad as telegraph operator, and from that time on he entered into various lines of endeavor, proving himself to be a man of unusual ability, attaining success in each and very one of his undertakings. He was vice-president and cashier of the Emerson Bank; owned and managed the Leland House at Schroon Lake, and proved himself to be a most genial host, which contributed largely to its popularity. He was president of the Schroon Lake Steamboat Company; president of the Empire Shirt Company; vice-president of the Warrensburgh Woolen Company; president of the Schroon River Pulp
and Paper Company, and president of the Hudson River Navigation Company.
Early in his career he became interested in the affairs of the Republican organization and was always active and zealous in supporting his chosen party, being indefatigable in his efforts to promote the best interests of his district, his State and his country. He was elected to the State Senate on the Republican ticket in 1906, and served from 1907 until 1918, entering politics principally to give his aid to the development of the Adirondacks, perceiving the importance of this section of the State in the preservation of its forests; the establishing of State pleasure grounds; and the promoting of its water-power resources. Senator Emerson for a long time also was a member of the Senate Finance Committee, but was best known in the Senate as a tireless worker for improved roads. It is well worthy of note here that during his tenure of office he obtained more State highway improvements than did any other member, improving the roads throughout the Adirondacks. It also was largely due to this efforts that the New York City-Montreal highway was undertaken. In 1914, George A. Ricker said; "New York's greatest asset today is its improved roads and connecting highways; for this we are indebted to Senator Emerson more than to any other man." We also find him a staunch supporter of woman suffrage. A patriot in the truest sense of the word, he was ever ready to labor for his country's good, and he was ever a willing worker during the World War, giving his time and finances for the support of the United States. he was for a great many years a member of the board of Education of Warrensburgh. He had attained the thirty-second degree in Masonry; was affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows; the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; was treasurer of the Warrensburgh Presbyterian Church; a member of the Albany and Fort Orange clubs at Albany; the Glens Falls Country Club; and the Schroon Lake Gold Club. His religious affiliation was with the Presbyterians, and he attended the church of this denomination in Warrensburgh.
In June, 1900, at the Presbyterian Church, Warrensburgh, James Alfred Emerson married Margaret Jane McGregor, and to them was born one son, Albert Louis (q.v.). Mrs. Emerson passed away, April 27, 1920
Upon the death of Senator Alfred Emerson, January 31, 1922, not only Warrensburgh, but all of Northern New York, for which he had worked so diligently, deeply mourned his passing. They had come to know his sterling qualities, and to recognize in him a man of exceptional personality, a true friend, an honest business associate, and an untiring public servant, ever working for the interests which had been entrusted to his care.
WILLIAM L. HOWLAND
Among the leading financiers of Saratoga County, as well as holding a prominent place as an executive among the brick manufacturers of New York State, is William L. Howland, of Mechanicsville. Together with these extensive interests, Mr. Howland never fails to give his earnest support to everything pertaining to the welfare and advancement of his home community and in this manner has done much to further its civic betterment. His father, Lewis Howland, was born at Half Moon, Saratoga County, New York, in 1836, and for almost sixty hears carried on a mercantile business in Mechanicsville, being actively engaged as a merchant up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1918. He married Alida Hemstreet, of Schaghticoke, New York, who died in 1900, and their only child was William L. Howland, the subject of this review.
William L. Howland was born in Mechanicsville, November 28, 1864, and obtained his education in the public schools of hi native place and at Ames academy. Completing his studies, he went to work for his father in the latter's general store and remained there until he, together with several others, organized the Manufacturers' National Bank of Mechanicsville, in 1896, at which time he became a teller in that institution; later being promoted to the office of vice-president, and still later to that of president, which position he still holds. Mr. Howland is also treasurer of the Cary Brick Company, and has been its general manger since 1924; is president of the Mechanicsville Associates; president of the Mechanicsville Improvement Company; president of the Half-Moon Light, Heat & Power Company; vice-president of the Brick Homes Company of New York City; director of the Mechanicsville Co-operative Savings & Loan Association; and a director of the Common Brick Manufacturers' Association of America. In politics he is a Republican and gives to his party the interest and support which id demanded of every good citizen. At the time of the World War, Mr. Howland came to the fore and gave his time and support in the capacity of chairman of the local
district on all the loan drives. He is a member of the Rotary International, the Mechanicsville Country club, and his religious affiliations is with the Methodist Faith, he being treasurer and a trustee of the church of that denomination in Mechanicsville.
On October 4, 1888, William L. Howland married Minnie Sheffer, daughter of C. R. and Olive (Newton) Sheffer, the former for many years president of the First National Bank of Mechanicsville. Mr. and Mrs. Howland are the parents of two children: 1. Lewis, born in Mechanicsville, May 15, 1901; graduated from Mechanicsville High School; from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; with the degree of Civil Engineer, in 1922; from Harvard College, where he took a course in Business Administration, in 1924; is now secretary of the Cary Brick Company. 2. Jenny, wife of Thomas F. Luther, of Saratoga. The family winter home is in Mechanicsville, and the summer residence is at Round Lake, New York. Mr. Howland is an ardent fisherman and also enjoys golf, and what time he can take from his extensive business interest he devotes in large measure to these two pursuits.
ARTHUR H. WICKS
A native and life-long resident of new York State, Mr. Wicks, after having been engaged for many years in important construction work as a civil engineer, established himself about 1915 in the laundry business at Kingston. There, as the owner of the oldest laundry in that town, which has been in existence for more than four decades, he has become one of the leading and substantial business men. He is prominently active in public life as a member of the State senate, as well as in the fraternal, civic, religious and social affairs of Kingston.
Arthur H. Wicks, was born in new York City, December 24, 1887, a son of the late John A. and Katherine M. (Young) Wicks. His father, who was likewise a native of New York State, was engaged in the meat business in the metropolis and was active in public affairs, serving as a New York City Park Commissioner during the administration of May Seth Low.
Arthur H. Wicks was educated in the public schools of Olive Bridge, New York, where his family owned a farm. Later he took a correspondence course in civil engineering. His boyhood and youth were spent on his father's farm, which now is a part of the Ashokan Reservoir. The next ten years he spent as a civil engineer with the New York Water Board, being engaged in work in connections with the construction of the Ashokan dam. He then became connected with the Public Service commission of New York City in the capacity of civil engineer, and for a number of years was associated with the subway construction in New York. About 1915 he settled in Kingston, and there became proprietor of Thomson's Laundry, the pioneer laundry of Kingston. It has been in existence for more than forty years under that name and under Mr. Wicks' energetic, progressive and very able management has been built up to a very high degree of efficiency and prosperity. In politics Mr. Wicks is a supporter of the Republican party, in the affairs of which he has always been prominently active. In 1926 he was elected a Senator from the Twenty-ninth District. Though now serving only his first term, his ability has found immediate recognition and he was made vice-chairman of the special legislative investigating committee, engaged in a thorough investigation of all the charitable institution of the State, and in this position he has been very active and effective. He is also a member of the Senate Committees on Internal Affairs, Banks and Public health, and has been responsible for the legislation establishing a State museum at Kingston, which is now under construction. For three years he was member of the New York National Guard, serving as a private until he received his honorable discharge.
In conformity with his position in the community, Mr. Wicks has been prominent in many of its varied activities. He is a past vice-president of the Kingston Chamber of Commerce, and vice-president of the Governor Clinton Hotel. He is a member of Kingston Lodge, No. 10,. Free and Accepted Masons; Kingston Commandery; Knights Templar; the Junior Order United American Mechanics; the Kingston Rotary Club, of which he is a director; the New York State Laundrymen's Association; the National Association of Laundrymen, and National Republican Club. His clubs include the Twaalfskill Golf Club, the Rondout Yacht Club, and the Kingston Club. His religious affiliations are with the Dutch Reformed church.
Mr. Wicks married, at Shokan, New York, June 16, 1909, Mabel Everett, of Olive Ridge, a daughter of Seth M. and Ocena (Merrihew) Everett. Mrs. Wicks' father was a native of Shokan, where he was engaged in farming and as a blacksmith. In the latter business he had
been preceded by these successive generations and was succeeded by his son, so that four successive generations of the same family have been village blacksmiths of Shokan. Her mother was the daughter of Isaac L. and Cora L. (Winnas) Merrihew, natives of Brooklyn.
James FLOYD VALONE, M. D.
A practicing physician at Jamestown, New York, for fifteen years, James Floyd Valone has risen to a leading place among the members of his profession in this section, building an extensive reputation as the demands on his services have constantly increased. He has been active at all times in the care of the sick of his community, considering his personal convenience and safety as nothing when opposed to his professional duties and, although his devotion to the medical sciences precludes his participation in other interests to any great extent, it does not prevent him from manifesting that spirit of helpfulness in community affairs characteristic of every good citizen.
Dr. Valone was born on February 3, 1886, at Palermo, Sicily, a son of Vincent and Louisa (Cristina) Valone. His father was a native of Italy, and at the time of his death was a retired farmer. Of this marriage were born six sons and a daughter, Frances, now the wife of Mr. Alessi, of Leroy, New York. Mr. Valone died a comparatively young man, and his widow emigrated with her children to the United States and is now a resident of Jamestown.
James Floyd Valone, of this record, was only five years old when death deprived him of his father and he was brought by his mother to Buffalo, his new American home. He attended the public schools of Fredonia, New York, and later the Fredonia State Normal School, from which he was graduated in 1909. At this time he had already decided upon a medical career, and accordingly entered the University of Buffalo, from which he was graduated in 1913, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine.
Thereafter, fro eighteen months, Dr. Valone served as a member of the staff at Erie Hospital, and the Emergency Hospital at buffalo, and upon the completion of his internship, came to Jamestown, and on November 30, 1914, entered upon the practice of his profession here. Ina remarkably short time he won the confidence of the community and began the building of the extensive practice which has now reached flattering proportions. He has specialized in diagnostic work, although not neglecting general activity as a physician, but to surgery he had given comparatively little attention. Dr. Valone is widely considered one of the most able diagnosticians in this section of the State, and in that capacity is a member of the staff of the Jamestown City Hospital, where is also is a lecturer on materia medica.
In politics, Dr. Valone is a constant supporter of Republican principles and candidates, while aside from his practice he is a director of the Overland-Jamestown Corporation. Although the demands of his practice makes it impossible for him to figure prominently in the civic live of Jamestown, he has given his hearty approval to every worthy movement for advancement and progress. Dr. Valone is a member of the City Medical Association, the Chautauqua County Medical Association, the New York State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association. He is affiliated, fraternally, with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Knights of Columbus, and the Alhambrian Society, while, with his family, he worships in the faith of the Roman Catholic Church, attending the church of St. Peter and St. Paul at Jamestown.
On august 24, 1917, Dr. James Floyd Valone, married Belova Stover, a daughter of Burton and Nellie (Kissinger) Stover, of Sheffield, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Valone before her marriage was a graduate nurse of the Warren General Hospital, at Warren, Pennsylvania. Graduating on June 6, 1906, she assisted in opening the Jones Hospital, and subsequently took post-graduate courses at the General Memorial Hospital in New York. Dr. and Mrs. Valone are the parents of two children: 1. Dorothy Louise, born October 16, 1918. 2. James Floyd, Jr., born August 2, 1922.
PATRICK C. DUGAN
A leader in legal progress and generally recognized as one who has devoted himself to a large and high-class practice without regard to ornamental and decorative honors in life, is Patrick C. Dugan of Albany; his highly esteemed professional activities, both in trial and corporative work, according him outstanding usefulness and honor in his profession.
Patrick C. Dugan was born in the town of Wright, Schoharie County, New York, March 10, 1886, the son of James and Jane (Lowry) Dugan. His early life was spent on the farm and he attended Schoharie Academy where he prepared for his legal studies, subsequently en-
tering the law office of Stephen L. Mayham, at Schoharie, who was at one time Justice of the New York State Supreme Court. Mr. Dugan was admitted to the bar in 1889 and established himself in the practice of his chosen profession the following day which was December 1, 889, in the village of Schoharie. Three years later, he removed to Albany where he opened an office and engaged in general practice until March 1, 1901, when he became head of the Law Department of the United Traction company and served in that capacity until January 1, 1907. At this time when Martin H. Glynn, later governor of New York State, became State comptroller, Mr. Dugan served as first deputy comptroller, and remained such for two years, when he returned to private practice continuing thus until January 1, 1915, when he associated himself with S. W. Rosendale and Edgar H. Haines under the firm name of Rosendale, Dugan & Haines which still carries on most successfully. While Mr. Dugan's practice has to a large extent been general, he has devoted much time to trial and corporative work.
In 1918, Mr. Dugan was the Democratic candidate for Justice of the Supreme Court in the Third Judicial District, but was defeated by Harold H. Minman, Republican. He is a member and was president of the Albany County Bar Association in 1922; is a member of the New York State Bar Association; the American Bar Association; the Fort Orange Club; Albany Club; Burns Club; and the Albany Country Club. His fraternal affiliation is with the Knights of Columbus and he is also a member of the Catholic Union of Albany.
Patrick C. Dugan married Agnes H. O'Neill, of Albany, and to them have been born three children: 1. Elinor, at the age of five years. 2. Kenneth J. 3. Agnes M. the family home is at No. 120 Lancaster Street, Albany. The summer home is on the farm, El-Kan-Ag, near Altamont, which Mr. Dugan has owned and operated for over twenty years, and from which he derives a great amount of pleasure.
HARRY ROBERT BRADT
One of the leading manufacturers of leather in the town of Gloversville is Harry Robert Bradt, ninety per cent of whose product goes to the local trade. Mr. Bradt manufactures all leathers, with the exception of buckskin, and he supplies many of the leading manufactories of his famous glove town with their full complement of material in that line. Among the leathers manufactured by Mr. Bradt are sheepskin, calfskin, goatskin, and Spanish leathers.
Mr. Bradt was born in Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York, December 17, 1874, the son of Garrat and Mehaly (Keller) Bradt, the former a prominent farmer and business man of Montgomery county. He died in 1914 at the age of seventy-one years. His wife, the mother of Mr. Bradt, was a native of Fort Plain, Montgomery County. The early education of Harry R. Bradt was obtained in the public schools of Gloversville, after which he took employment with a number of the leading glove firms and leather concerns in order to acquire a thorough knowledge of the leather business. In 1904 he went into business for himself and rapidly became one of the most important leather manufacturers in the city of Gloversville. He employs a force of thirty-five men and produces a leather of most excellent quality, which is noted throughout the trade.
During the World War Mr. Bradt business himself with Liberty Loan and Red Cross work, giving freely of his time and efforts. He takes an active interest in the affairs of the Baptist Church and is identified wit the local Young Men's Christian Association. In political faith Mr. Bradt is a Republican, but he has never held or sought for office.
In December, 1896, Mr. Bradt married Eva Chase, and their home in Gloversville is the center of a circle of devoted and admiring friends. Both are ever to the fore in all projects for the betterment of the community, and give freely of their time and effort to all good causes.
DR. C. FLOYD HAVILAND
Psychiatrist and hospital administrator, is the medical member and chairman of the New York State Hospital Commission. He has won national distinction for his work in the study and treatment of the mentally diseased and for his skill in the management of the New York State Hospital System. His career from medical intern to State hospital commissioner has been a continual succession of promotions. He came to his present office in 1921, having been selected on account of his marked success as a hospital superintendent. He occupies a prominent place in leading medical and psychiatric associations in America; is associate editor of "The Modern Hospital," and a contributor to numerous medical and lay publications. Particulars concerning his interesting career follow:
Clarence F. (C. Floyd) Haviland was born in
Spencertown, Columbia County, New York, August 14, 1875, son of Norman H. and Henrietta B. (Newman) Haviland. When he was an infant his parents moved to Fulton, New York. He was graduated from the Fulton High School in 1893, and in that year entered the medical school of Syracuse University, receiving his degree of Doctor of Medicine from that institution in 1896. He was appointed medical intern in Manhattan State Hospital, Ward's Island, New York, January 1, 1897, and was successively promoted to junior physician,, assistant physician, and second assistant physician, and in 1910 was appointed first assistant physician in Kings Park (Long Island) State Hospital, where he served for five years. In 1915 he was appointed superintendent of the Connecticut State Hospital at Middletown, Connecticut.
While at the Manhattan State Hospital he had served as clinical assistant in the department of neurology and psychiatry of Columbia and Cornell Universities. In 1914, he attained further prominence by making for the National committee for Mental Hygiene a survey of the case of the insane in the State of Pennsylvania. This was the first state-wide survey of the insane ever made. His report, declared to be most comprehensive, and illuminating, was published by the Public Charities Association of Pennsylvania; it received a wide reading and had great influence in the improvement of the care of the insane in the Keystone State. During his progressive administration of the Connecticut State Hospital, his writings and addresses on occupational therapy, prevention of mental disease and other subjects gave him a high rank in the mental hygiene movement. He was chairman of the executive committee of the Connecticut Society for Mental Hygiene from 1916 to 1921; member of the Connecticut State commission on Psychopathic Hospital, and president of the Connecticut Conference of Social Work in 1921.
Dr. Haviland was called to the chairmanship of the New York State Hospital Commission December 19, 1921. Some idea of his inattentively active interest in behalf of the mentally afflicted may be had from a perusal of the following list of articles written by him and published in leading psychiatric journals: "Relationship Between Mental Hygiene and Education." "Prevention and Better Treatment of Mental disease," "Desirability of a State-Wide Survey of Mental disease Before Beginning an Elaborate Program," Occupational Therapy in Convalescence," "Occupational Therapy for Insane," "Advantages of Occupational Schedules in State Hospitals," "History of Mental Diseases," "Early diagnosis of General Paresis," "The Commitment of the Insane," "Tuberculosis among the Insane," "Aims of a Modern Hospital," etc.
Dr. Haviland is a member of the New York State Pension Commission; in 1920, he was made vice-president of the National Society for the Promotion of Occupational Therapy; in 1921, elected secretary-treasurer of the American Psychiatric Association, in 1924, vice-president , and in 1925, president of that distinguished body. He is a director and member of the executive committee of the National Committee for Mental Hygiene, a member of the Mental Hygiene Committee of the New York State Charities Aid Association, a member of the Albany County Medical Society, the New York State Medical Society, the American Medical Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Occupational Therapy Association, the American Genetic Association, Eugenics Research Association, American Psychopathological Association, Association for Research in Mental and Nervous Diseases, American Social Hygiene Association, American Association for the Advancement of Science, New England Society of Psychiatry, New York Neurological Society, New York Society of Medical Jurisprudence, New York Psychiatrical Society, New York Society of Clinical Psychiatry, and of various other professional and lay bodies. He is a member of the Advisory Council of the Milbank Memorial Fund and of the Advisory Council of the Eugenics Committee of America; a member of the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity, the Nu Sigma Nu Medical Fraternity, and the Phi Kappa Phi Honorary Fraternity. His clubs are the Lotus, and Phi Kappa Psi of New York and the Fort Orange of Albany.
Dr. Haviland married, June 26, 1908, Amy Amelia Miller, of New York City. They have their residence at No. 306 State Street, Albany, New York.
The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.