The History of New York State
Editor, Dr. James Sullivan
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
Given the background of an old and well-bred American family and a liberal education, Dwight Marvin, editor of the Troy "Record," morning and evening, and director of the Troy Record Publishing company, of Troy, New York, has given to that distinctive publication the stamp of his own culture and broad intellectuality. He is, however, an active participant in all forward-looking community movements.
(I) the Marvin family was founded in America by Reinold Marvin, son of Edward and Margaret Marvin, who was baptized in St. Mary's Church, Great Bentley, Essex, England, June 7, 1593, and died in Lyme, New London county, Connecticut, in 1662. He lived in Hartford, Connecticut, in 1638, and later in Farmington, Saybrook, where he was made a freeman on May 20, 1658, and in Lyme, holding considerable property in the two last-named. From him the line descended through his seventh son, Reinold Marvin (2) of whom further.
(II) Reinold Marvin (2), son of Reinold Marvin, was styled in their records as lieuten-
ant. He married Sarah Clark, and their eldest son was John, of further mention.
(III) John Marvin, son of Reinold (2) and Sarah (Clark) Marvin, Sarah Graham. Their seventh child was Benjamin, of further mention..
(IV) Benjamin Marvin, son of John and Sarah (Graham) Marvin, married Deborah Mather.
(V) Benjamin (2) Marvin, eldest child of Benjamin and Deborah (Mather) Marvin, married Phoebe Rowland. Their eldest son was Uriah, of further mention.
(VI) Uriah Marvin, son of Benjamin (2) and Phoebe (Rowland) Marvin, moved to Albany, New York, and became a leading business man and citizen there as proprietor of a mercantile enterprise. He married Olive Ingraham, and their tenth child was Rev. Uriah, of further mention.
(VII) Rev. Uriah (2) Marvin, was the son of Uriah and Olive (Ingraham) Marvin. He was a minister of the Dutch Reformed church in various new York towns, including New York City, where he was a pastor of the Bleeker Street church. He married Jane Stevens, and they had a son, Rev. Dwight Edwards, of further mention.
(VIII) Rev. Dwight Edward Marvin, son of Rev. Uriah and Jane (Steven) Marvin, was born in Greenwich, Washington County, New York, February 22, 1851. Broadly educated, specializing in theology, he completed post-graduate work at Union Theological Seminary in New York City, and in 1882 was regularly ordained a minister of the Congregational Church. He filled Pastorates at the First Church in East Albany, Plymouth Church in Utica, First Church in Germantown, Pennsylvania, and the Flatbush Presbyterian Church, in Brooklyn. Numerous religious publications from his pen have also won a wide circle of readers, including "The Christman," "Sunset Thoughts," "The Antiquity of proverbs," and many others. In 1900 Franklin college, new Athens, Ohio, conferred on him the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. He is a Republican, a member of the City Club of new York, and a resident of summit, New Jersey. He married, September 17, 1874, Ida Norton Whitman, daughter of William W. and Caroline K. (Perkins) Whitman, of Troy. Four children were born of the union: 1. Charles Ingalls. 2. Caroline Whitman. 3. Dwight, of further mention. 4. Rowland Whitman.
(IX) Dwight Marvin, of the ninth generation of his family in America, son of Rev. Dwight Edwards and Ida Norton (Whitman) Marvin, was born in Auburn, New York, February 7, 1880. After preparatory training he entered Princeton University, remaining through 1896 to 1898, and passing them to Williams College, where he was awarded the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1901, and that of Master of Arts three years later. He studied law at Albany Law School, which bestowed on him, in 1903, the degree of Bachelor of Laws. After three years of legal practice in Troy, Mr. Marvin entered the journalistic profession, which proved most congenial to him and has since held his attention. He began as a reporter on the Troy "Times," and advanced to the position of assistant city editor, member of the editorial staff, exchange editor, assistant editor, 1908 to 12911, and associate editor, 1911 to 1915. Since 1910 he has been editor of the Troy morning and evening "Record," and director of the company which publishes those papers.
Mr. Marvin's interest outside his vocation are many. He was formerly chairman of the board of managers of the Pawling Sanitorium, is a director of the National Rivers and Harbors Congress; a former member of the National Municipal League; and the New York Child Labor Commission; and a member of the State Charities Aid Society; was formerly chairman of the board of directors of the New York State Association; and is vice-president of the Rensselaer County Tuberculosis Association. His other affiliations are with William Floyd Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution; the Phi Delta Theta and Phi Delta Phi fraternities; the Troy Chamber of Commerce, of which he is secretary; the Rotary Club, of which he was president in 1922-23; the Williams alumni Association of Northern New York; and the Princeton Alumni Association of the Hudson Valley; director of the Community Hotel Corporation; director of the Community Garage; trustee of the Troy Country Day School; vice-chairman of the Troy Recreation Commission; and governor of the Troy Country Club. He was formerly a member of the Council of the Boy Scouts of America, and is president of the Chromatic Club of Troy, and an elder of the First Presbyterian Church of Troy. His political views are those of the Republican Party.
On March 4, 1909, Dwight Marvin married Marian Hobbie, of Greenwich, New York, daughter of Hon. William R. and Phebe
(Walsh) Hobbie, the father former Assemblyman from Washington County fro many years and a prominent paper manufacturer. Their children are; 1. Margaret Ingalls. 2. William Hobbie. 3. Marian Elizabeth. 4. John Keith Marvin.
The "Troy Record," thirty years ago, on April 4, 1896, issued its first number. The paper proclaimed itself the spokesman of a coterie of prominent citizen of Troy, New York, who wished to :promote good government in the city, county, State and nation." The first site of the plant was at No. 271 River Street. The early capitalization was $20,000, which was soon increased to $50,000. In the face of discouraging experience, because the owners believed the time ripe for it, a morning newspaper was launched. The stockholders were prominent citizens of Troy, and the officers as follows: J. K. P. Pine, president; William H. Hollister, Jr., vice-president; Frank H. Knox, secretary; and H. S. Ludlow, treasurer. These officers and the following men constituted the board of directors: William F. Gurley, Walter R. Bush, and Fred E. Wells. George E. Swain of Hew York was the first editor and Fred E. Ward, first city editor. The editorial chair passed into the hands of Francis W. Joslin of Utica, in August of the same year, and his able management until his death in September, 1915, played no small part in the early success of the paper. So great was this that the company on December 7, 1890, established the "Evening Record," a penny daily. William H. Engel was its first city editor, retaining the position until his death in 1922.
So greatly have both papers expanded that the publishing company has found it necessary to erect a fine new structure to house them and also to build an addition to that structure. The paper moved into the new Record Building on April 17, 1909. This was an architectural triumph, modeled as it was on seventeenth century Dutch style, and at the same time perfectly adapted to the needs of newspaper a publication. Its printing equipment was the best of the kind to be found in its day, its Goss Press printing some 12.500 copies per hour for twenty-four to forty-page papers. The rapid growth of the paper soon out-distanced even this modern equipment. On April 27, 1925, it was necessary to open up the new addition to the plant, in which was installed the giant new press which replaced the old Goss. This is a Scott Multi-Unit, operating at a tremendous speed, turning out 72,000 average sized newspapers an hour, and yet controlled with the slight pressure of a finger on a series of electric push buttons in fourteen different places on the press. Some thirty reporters gather news for the morning and evening papers. Each has his regular beat, combed every day for news, in addition to his special stories. The present directors are: H. S. Ludlow, president; E. H. Betts, vice-president; Frank L. York, secretary; David B. Plum, treasurer and general manager. Dwight Marvin is editor of both papers.
WILLSON R. CAMPBELL
No small part in the development of Steuben County has been played by the branch of the Campbell family of which Willson R. Campbell, president of Farmers & Mechanics Trust company, of Bath, is a representative. Possessed of good mind and strong character, ambitious, not only for themselves, but for their communities, and loyal to high ideals, they help in the direction of community progress. Following in his father's footsteps when it came to choosing a career, he is proving himself a true son, meeting with the marked success that comes only from ability especially adapted to this intricate branch of commerce.
Willson r. Campbell, son of the late Hon. Frank and Mary Louise (Willson) Campbell, was born in Bath, March 27, 1880. He received his early education in the public school of his native place, at Haverling Academy, and Berkeley Military Academy, New York City. While attending the latter institution, he passed the examinations for military service in the Marine Corps at the time of the Spanish-American War, but hostilities ceased just before he was commissioned second lieutenant. Subsequently matriculating at the University of Pennsylvania, where he took courses in banking and law, thus fitting himself with a thorough technical knowledge of the phases of banking, he returned to Bath, and for eighteen years filled most adequately the office of vice-president of the Farmers & Mechanics Bank, of which, at that time, his father was the president. In the spring of 1924, upon the latter's death, the son was honored by the presidency of the institution which, in December, 1924, was incorporated as a trust company. He is also one of the founders and treasurer of the Empire State Abstract corporation, having office in Binghamton and Buffalo; has served as president of the board of trustees of the New York State Sailors and Soldiers' Home for
four years and as treasurer of its board for fourteen years; was one of he founders and is a director of the Farmers & Mechanics Investment Company; has been treasurer of the Davenport Free Library for twenty yeas; was one of the organized and the first president of the Rotary Club of Bath; and in everything pertaining to the welfare and advancement of Bath and its environs he always takes an active interest.
During the World War Mr. Campbell was chairman of the first Liberty Loan drive covering the outlying towns around Bath and served as a member of the committee on the Second Liberty Loan drive. Worthy of note is that he founded the organization taking in forty-eight Soldiers and Sailors' Homes throughout the United States for the purpose of a competitive drive, and the meetings were held in the Soldiers and Sailors' Home at Bath twice a week. So much interest was stimulated that President Wilson gave a prize of a flag to the home subscribing to the largest number of bonds. Approximately three million dollars were subscribed by the resident veterans of the various homes, and the home at Bath was the proud winner of the flag. He was also a "four-minute man," giving generously of his time for this worthy cause. Mr. Campbell, although in no sense of the word a politician, served his community as Mayor during the years 1922-1923, and in the fulfillment of this office he maintained the same indefatigable determination to promote the interests of his native city, his re-election proving conclusively to the people that he was the right man for the place. He is a member of the Bath Lodge, Free and accepted Masons; member of Gamma Delta Phi Fraternity of Berkeley Military Academy; one of the founders of the Salubria Country Club of Bath and has been its president ever since its inception; charter member of the Corning Country Club; a member of Hornell Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; the Gun Club of Bath; Anglers' Club, Linwood Country Club, and the Atlantic City Golf Club, all of Atlantic City; Republican Club of New York City; and also holds membership in various banking associations. His religious affiliation is with St. Thomas' Church at Bath and for ten years he served as its treasurer.
On January 15, 1915, Willson R. Campbell was married to Elizabeth Oswald, daughter of James Brinham and Elizabeth (Shannon) Oswald of Whitehall, Maryland. The former, who now lives retired, was for many years part owner of the "Pittsburgh Press." Mrs. Campbell, descendant of an old and prominent Southern family, , was born at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and obtained her education at Miss Ely's School, New York City, and at Mary Baldwin's College, Staunton, Virginia. She lived for several years with her brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. William Harris Boyer, the former president of the Union Special Company, largest manufacturer of looms in the world. Mrs. Boyer is now deceased. Mrs. Campbell has another sister who married Octavio de Zayas, the first Consul-General representing Cuba in New York City, after Cuba's freedom. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell are the parents of two children: 1. Oswald, born April 17, 1918. 2. Marguerite, born June 21, 1921, The family home is at Bath. Mr. Campbell's chief recreation is golf. Mrs. Campbell is active in Baron Steuben Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, her right of membership coming through the Jon Hanna line, of which the late Mark Hanna was a member.
HON. FRANK CAMPBELL
An influential and valued factor in financial and political circles in New York State was the late Frank Campbell, former president of the Farmers & Mechanics' Bank of Bath, and at one time comptroller of the State. Many honors and noteworthy achievements filled the career of Mr. Campbell, whose administrative talents were always devoted to the advancement of every substantial and worthwhile project, and his rare intellectual attainments rendered service of great value in his various fields of endeavor.
Robert Campbell, grandfather of Hon. Frank Campbell, came to this country from Glasgow, Scotland, and settled in Bath, in 1795. He married and had a son, Robert, who was prominent man in New York State, having been a Regent of the State University and also served as Lieutenant-Governor. He married Frances Fowler, and to them w as born a son, Frank, whose name heads this review.
Frank Campbell, son of Robert and Frances (Fowler) Campbell, was born in Bath, on March 27, 1858, and obtained his education in Haverling Academy and at Trenton, New Jersey. In 1880, he and his brother, the late General Clarence Campbell, organized the banking firm of Campbell Brothers. Later the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Campbell organized the Farmers & Mechanics' Bank, serving as cashier of this institution until 1922, when he was made president, an office he filled with
exceptional ability, his valuable advice having been sought by depositors who came from far and hear to deal with the bank until his death, in 1924, when he was succeeded by his son, Willson R. (q.v.). Mr. Campbell was dean of bankers in Steuben County, and ever gave of himself to further the important things of life.
Early in his career he became interested in the affairs of the Democratic Party and when but twenty-one years of age he ran for county treasurer on his party's ticket, later serving as village treasurer. For many years he was a member of the Democratic State Committee, and in 1891 was elected State comptroller, serving two years under Governor Flower. Although he was the youngest comptroller the State had ever had, he fulfilled the duties of his office in a vigorous and distinctive manner. He attended the Democratic Convention at Chicago in 1892, when Grover Cleveland was nominated for the Presidency. In 1900 he was chairman of the Democratic State Committee, against attending the national convention, and at all times was a liberal giver of time, thought and financial aid to the cause of his chosen party. It was largely through his efforts that the State Fish Hatchery at Cold Springs was established, and also that the State roads were brought through the northern section of Steuben county. His influence on his home community at all times was far-reaching and it has been generally conceded that he contributed more to the town's growth than has any other individual. He was trustee of the New York State Soldiers' Home for many years and during his connection with this institution the board consisted almost entirely of veterans, whom he aided in every way. Fraternally he was a member of Steuben Lodge, No. 112, Free and Accepted Masons; Hornell Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; organizer of the Steuben Club; member of the Corning Club; and for many years was a member of the Manhattan Club of New York City.
Frank Campbell married, in 1879, Mary Louise Willson, daughter of the late Warren W. and Susan Frances (Medcalf) Willson, and to them was born one son, Willson R. (q.v.). Mrs. Campbell passed away in 1914, Mr. Campbell found his chief recreation in fishing and much of his spare time was given to this sport.
Such, in brief, was the life of the late Hon. Frank Campbell, whose death, occurring on February 20, 1924, was mourned not only by a large circle of friends, but by many prominent in financial and political circles throughout the State. He was widely recognized as a just man in all his dealings, and was highly respected by all with whom he had come in contact.
RALPH B. BESWICK
Thought one of the younger generation of Albany bankers, Mr. Beswick has made progress in the financial circles of New York's capital, since he joined the staff of the National Savings Bank of Albany some five years ago.
Ralph B. Beswick was born in Warren County, March 23, 1898, a son of Lewis J. and Belle A. (Duell) Beswick. The former a prominent and successful contracting mason of Warren County, the latter a resident of Warren county to the time of her death in September, 1913. He was educated in the public and high schools of his native region, at Haley Business Institute and at Albany Business College. Having completed his education, he started his business career as a stenographer with the Daniel Green Felt Shoe Company. He then became interested in social work and for three years was office secretary of the Central Young Men's Christian Association of Albany. In 1821. Mr. Beswick became associated with the National Savings Bank of Albany, his first position being that of assistant bookkeeper; in a short time he was made teller, and so satisfactory proved his work that in November, 1925, he was appointed assistant treasurer of this important financial institution. Founded in 1868, this is one of the leading savings banks of Central New York, and has total assets in excess of thirty-one million dollars. Mr. Beswick is a member of the Young Men's Christian Association and his religious affiliation is with the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics he is a supporter of the Republican party and its principles.
In 1922 Ralph B. Beswick married Myrtle C. English, of Greenwich, Washington County, New York. Mr. and Mrs. Beswick have no children, and make their home at Menands, New York.
PEARLA S. KLING
Thought born and raised in Schoharie County, New York, Mr. Kling has been for many years a resident of Albany, where he was for some twenty years proprietor of a successful and prosperous bakery. Appointed postmaster of New York's capital in 1922, he has occupied this important and responsible office ever since, having been
Reappointed at the expiration of his first term by President Coolidge. Under his able, efficient, progressive and conscientious management the Albany Post Office has been brought to a very high state of efficiency, and he has gained for himself to an unusual extent the respect, confidence and approval of his fellow townsmen. He is also a leader in the civic, fraternal, social and religious life of the community, to the prosperity and development of which he has made such valuable contributions.
Pearla S. Kling was born December 23, 1876, in Schoharie County, New York, a son of George W. and Olive (Bingham) Kling, both of whom died in 1888, the former having been successfully engaged in farming in Schoharie County, the latter having been a native of Otsego County. He was educated in the public grammar and high schools and at Albany business College. He entered the baking business and became the proprietor of a bakery in Albany which he continued to conduct for more than ten years under his own name. His energy and his exceptional business ability brought his establishment to a very high state of prosperity and it grew into one of the largest of its type in that part of New York State, while Mr. Kling became one of the most widely known and most highly regarded business men of Albany. When he was appointed, in July, 1922, by the late President Harding, postmaster of Albany to succeed William G. Van Coot, this appointment met with general approval on the part of all classes of citizens, irrespective of political faith. The efficiency with which Mr. Kling has conducted this important office has proven how well merited this approval was, and it also found official recognition by his re-appointment on the part of President Coolidge. He has been active in public affairs, even previous to his appointment to the post-mastership, as an aldermen front he Sixth Ward and as president of the common council. He is a director of the Community Savings & Loan Association. Mr. Kling is a member of Lodge No. 417, Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is a Past Master; of Cyprus Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; and of the several other Masonic bodies up to and including the thirty-second degree. He is also a member of the Independent Order of the Odd Fellows, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Improved Order of the Red Men, the Albany Club, the Fort Orange Club, and the Albany Rotary Club. In politics he is a supporter of the Republican party and its principles, while his religious affiliations are with the First Reformed Church.
Mr. Kling married, in 1890, Nellie Van Anken, of New York, a daughter of Peter and Hannah (La Grande) Van Anken. Mr. and Mrs. Kling make their home at Albany.
The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.