The History of New York State
Editor, Dr. James Sullivan
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
STUART DOUGLAS LANSING
One of the most commanding figures in the manufacture of papermaking machinery and the development of the paper and pulp industry, Stuart D. Lansing, president of the Bagley & Sewall Company, of Watertown, was internationally known as a genius of the trade. For half a century approximately he had been connected with the concern of which he rose to be the chief executive and moving spirit. He was also a major factor in other enterprises, notably two important financial institutions, of whose boards of directors he was chairman at the time of his death. In the civic affairs of Watertown and Jefferson County he was keenly interested, while in social circles he was extremely popular, and in aquatic sports, yachting especially, he was an ardent enthusiast, being a former commodore of the Crescent Yacht Club.
Mr. Lansing sprang from an interesting and distinguished family background. His paternal ancestry was Dutch, the first of his line in America having settled at Albany, New York, in 1630. On the maternal side he was of English stock, his immigrant ancestor having come to New England in the period of the historic "Mayflower." His great-grandfather, Noadiah Hubbard, was the first white men to settle in Jefferson County, and Noadiah's daughter Mary, grandmother of Mr. Lansing, was the first white child to be born in that country. Noadiah Hubbard was one of the foremost of the pioneers of the "North County."
Stuart Douglas Lansing, son of Dr. Edward S. and Mary (Sherman) Lansing, was born in Watertown, November 21, 1866, his mother the daughter of George C. Sherman, founder of the Jefferson County Savings Bank. When he was four years of age, his parents removed with him to Burlington, New Jersey, where he attended the grade and high schools, then entered the University of Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated in the class of 1888 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. At the
university he ranked with the leaders, a member of Delta Phi Fraternity, manager of the varsity baseball team, and largely responsible for the organization of the present varsity athletic association.
Mr. Lansing's association with the Bagley & Sewall Company began August 11, 1888, when he assumed the position of timekeeper,. Steady promotion through the grades came to him in return for his displays of keen judgment, foresight and general value to the company. He made a close analytical study of the plant, production and the business generally, becoming a recognized expert on plant productions. On September 30, 1897, he was elected secretary of the company, a position which he filled with marked efficiency, until February 10, 1913, when he was made a director and vice-president, and in those offices he gave outstanding evidence of executive and managerial capacity. His selection tot he office of president came at the reorganization meeting, may 25, 1915, following the death of George A. Barley, one of the founders of the business. Throughout the latter years of the aged late founder, Mr. Lansing had virtually assumed the details attaching to the directing head of the establishment, so that he entered the office of executive fully equipped to discharge the exacting responsibilities that devolved actually upon him.
Under a well-defined policy of caring for the employees' interests and of keeping pace with improved methods of marketing and the advance attending the manufacture of paper-making machinery and the development of the paper and pulp industry, Mr. Lansing was instrumental in keeping the Barley & Sewall Company up to its standard and maintaining its reputation of being the most robust and substantial industry of the Watertown area. He now most of the force personally and could call many of them by their first names, and their homelife as well as their factory environment were matters of interest to him.
Under his executive leadership, the Bagley & Sewall Company developed an aggressive sales policy. His pleasing personality and convincing salesmanship helped bridge periods of depression which afflicted other business concerns throughout the country, and there was rarely a time that the Bagley & Sewall plant was not run on full time. He traveled extensively in the West, in Canada and in Europe, and he practically always returned home with large and satisfactory contracts for the concern's paper-making machines. In the face of virile bidding on the part of other paper machine companies, Mr. Lansing came off victor fro his company by installing its machines in great number in French, Canadian and Japanese mills. A reputation world-wide in its extent was built up by Mr. Lansing and the company's representatives for the Watertown concern. Some twenty years prior to his decease, Mr. Lansing procured an engineer to design and built the government mill at Hankow, China, and then sent out a force of skilled papermakers to operate it and teach the Chinese how to run the plant.
Remarkable improvement in papermaking machines was brought about during Mr. Lansing's regime. The Bagley & Sewall Company was the first to turn out a machine that would produce three hundred and fifty feet of paper a minute. It was the first also to break the record with a five hundred-foot, a six-hundred and fifty-foot and a one thousand-foot machine, the latter proving a world sensation at the time of its perfection. Then came the two-hundred and forty-five inch machine, the widest in the world to that time, which was Mr. Lansing's answer to the keen rivalry which competitive concerns kept alive. And thus did he continue throughout his lifetime to contribute to the life of the trade--by a zealous and intelligent competition, often carrying the battle right into the very vamp of the opposition and capturing the coveted prize--new and important business for his home.
In his other activities Mr. Lansing added that of finance. He was elected, in 1911, a director of the Jefferson County National Bank, and in 1920 succeeded to the first vice-presidency. On November 1, 1922, he was elected president, becoming at the same time president of the Jefferson Securities Corporation. In January, 1926, he resigned, but was honored with chairmanships of both boards of directors, and held these offices at the time of his death. An unflinching Republican in his politics, he had always exhibited a lively interest in Watertown's local government affairs. In 1916 he campaigned throughout the "North Country" for Charles Evans Hughes for President, and on several occasions had been delegate to Republican State Conventions. In 1916 he was elected president of the Watertown Board of Education, of which he had been a member for about four years. He served two terms as [resident and then refused reappointment to the board. He was an enthusiast in the study of "North Country" archaeology and "North
Country" history, and on the reorganization of the Jefferson County Historical Society, in 1922, he was elected president.
He was an expert skipper, the owner of the schooner, "Alice," and a month before his death he had participated in the races of the annual regatta of the Lake Yacht Racing Association, at Kingston, Ontario, winning three straight heats and the championship of the small-schooner class. In 1921 he was elected president of the association and served for two years. he was a charter member, and three times commodore, of the Crescent Yacht Club of Watertown. His religious affiliation was with St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church, of Watertown, where he was one of the wardens. Several times he served as delegate to the conventions of the Episcopal Diocese of Central New York, and in 1925 he was elected lay delegate by the diocese, to the Triennial General Convention of the church at New Orleans, Louisiana, this being the third consecutive time that Mr. Lansing was so honored by his church.
He was a member of the American Paper and Pulp Association and the Empire State Forest products Association, one of the organizer of the Black River Regulating District, and one of the dam commissioners selected by the power owners on Beebe's Island where a large part of the Bagley & Sewall plant is situated. He was identified with a number of paper manufacturing companies in Northern New York a various times, including the Algonquin Paper Company, of Ogdensburg, of which he was one of the original officers and directors. Among the organizations of a social nature to which he belonged were the Black River Valley Club of Watertown, the Engineers' Club of New York City, the Royal Canadian Yacht Club of Toronto, Ontario, and the Crescent Yacht Club and the Fortnightly Club of Watertown.
Stuart Douglas Lansing married, in 1894, Carrie Sherman Bagley, daughter of President George A. Bagley, of the Bagley & Sewall Company. Mrs. Lansing was also of pioneer stock of the empire State; her father, born in Watertown in 1826, was elected from the 22d District, in 1874, to Congress, and sat in the forty-fourth and forty-fifth sessions. Mr. and Mrs. Lansing were the parents of four children: 1. Edward S. who was assistant to his father when president of the Bagley & Sewall Company, 2. Sabine, married Edwin G. Fullenwider, a lieutenant in the United States navy, 3. Stuart Douglas, Jr., deceased. 4. Abraham Ten Eyck (3) a student (1928) in the Watertown High School.
The death of Mr. Lansing at this home in Watertown, September 3, 1927, in his sixty-first year, removed from the city of his birth and scene of his many triumphs a man of strong character, versatility and mechanical talents. His interests were wide and he was always ready to lend his aid to a worthy cause. His passing was deeply regretted by a host of friends in all those associations which his presence had dignified and graced.
ASA REDMOND DIMOCK, M. D.
A leading factor in medical advance in this section of New York State is Asa Redmond Dimock, medical director and superintendent of the Homestead Sanatorium at Middle Grove, New York. Together with this particular line of advance, Dr. Dimock has always interested himself in everything pertaining tot he welfare and advancement of Saratoga county since locating in this section, and can always be counted upon to give his earnest support to whatever pertains to civic welfare.
His father, Asa William Dimock, was born in Herrick Centre, Wayne County, Pennsylvania, in 1823, and for many years was superintendent of construction of the Delaware & Hudson Railroad; he died in 1888. Dr. Dimock married Sarah Jane Kent, who was born in 1824, and died in 1876. To them was born Asa Redmond Dimock, of whom further.
Asa Redmond Dimock, son of Asa William and Sarah Jane (Kent) Dimock, was born at Waymart, Wayne County, Pennsylvania, November 11, 1869, and received his early education in the Normal Institute at Waymart, graduating in 1886; subsequently matriculating at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York City, from which institution he received with highest honors the degree of Doctor of Medicine, in 1892. The following year he served as interne at Bellevue Hospital and then returned to his native place, where he established himself in private practice for one year. He then, located on Forty-eighth Street, New York City, for two years, removing at the end of that time to Brooklyn, where he practiced until 1913, when he again removed to Valatie, Columbia County, remaining there and carrying one professionally, specializing in ophthalmology until 1919, with the exception of the time which he served in the World War. In 1919 he came to the Homestead Sanitorium in
the capacity of medical director and superintendent. His labors have become widely known and highly esteemed, and the intervening years have witnessed many changes for the better at the institution. From 1894 to 1904 Dr. Dimock served on the Board of Health of New York City; he served as chief ophthalmologist of the German Polyclinic for four years, and also served as assistant ophthalmologist at the Polhemus Polyclinic. He is a member of the Adirondack Post of the American Legion of Saratoga; ex-member of the Brooklyn Medical Society; member of Saratoga County Medical Society; member New York State Medical Society; secretary of the board of managers of the Homestead Sanatorium, member of the Saratoga County Tuberculosis Committee; member of the Rotary Club, and of the Utopian Club of Ballston Spa, New York.
Dr. Dimock enlisted in the Medical Corps of the United States Army and was commissioned first lieutenant, October 15, 1917. He was sent to Camp Greenleaf, Oglethorpe, remaining there until March 1, 1918, when he assigned to amp Upton, where he served until September 1, 1919, where he was transferred to Hospital No. 30 at Plattsburg, serving as ophthalmologist. When that hospital was closed he was sent to Camp Bragg as ophthalmologist, remaining there until he received his honorable discharge in 1919, with the rank of captain, having received that commission while at Camp Upton
On June 13, 1913, at Valatie, New York, Dr. Dimock married Anna Roden, mad to them were born two children: 1. Asa Redmond, Jr., born July 21, 1914. 2. Robert Roden, born October 1915. The greater part of Dr. Dimock's time is given over to his professional duties, but he is a great lover of nature and what time he can spare from his work he spends in recreations out-of-doors.
ALFRED F. BENNETT
As secretary and treasurer of the Bennett Textile company, Alfred F. Bennett is helping to carry on the business started by his father in Cohoes more than thirty-five years ago. Working with Alfred F. Bennett in the business are his two brothers, Harold W. and Earle, respectively president and vice-president of the concern. Occupying floor space of approximately one hundred and fifty thousand square feet and employing seventy-five hands, this concern manufactures men's knitted wear of the highest grade and sends its products all over the world. The Bennett Textile Company was started in 1893 by John a. Bennett, father of Alfred F. Bennett, as the Bennett & Lewis Textile Company. With the death of Mr. Bennett in 1921 the firm was re-incorporated as the Bennett Textile Company, with his three sons as executives of the concern.
Alfred F. Bennett was born in Cohoes, New York, February 2, 1894, third and youngest son of John A. and Mary L. Bennett. John A. Bennett, the father, was born in Lancashire, England, in 1863, but came to New York State before he attained his majority and had been a resident of Cohoes since 1888. He immediately engaged in the knitted wear business, a trade he had learned in England in his boyhood, and at the time of his death in 1925 was one of the best-known experts on knitted underwear in his section of the country. At the time of the birth of his youngest son, Alfred F. Bennett, in 1894, John A. Bennett had already started the firm of Bennett & Lewis Textile company in Cohoes.
Alfred F. Bennett, however, did not immediately enter his father's firm. Upon completing his education in the local schools of Cohoes and at the Albany Business College, he went to Detroit, Michigan, and worked for eleven months with the Packard Motor Car Company. He returned home, however, to enter the employ of his father. Starting at the very bottom of the plant, Alfred F. Bennett worked his way to the top through all the various department, excellent experience in familiarizing himself with the business which some day was to belong to him. At this time his two older brothers, Harold W. and Earle Bennett, were likewise associated with their father in the concern. In 921 the business was reorganized, the firm name changed to the Bennett Textile Company, and Mr. Bennett, Sr. was made president and general manager. With the death of the father, the business passed to the three sons, Harold W. Bennett being chosen president, Earle, vice-president, and Alfred F., secretary and treasurer. Alfred F. Bennett's business career was interrupted by the World War. He served in Battery L, Ninth Field Artillery, with the rank of lieutenant, but was not sent overseas. Fraternally, he is a Mason, member of the Knights Templar, and the Shrine. His prominence in the community was proven by his recent election tot he Cohoes Chamber of Commerce. He is a member of the First Methodist Church.
Alfred F. Bennett married, in Cohoes, June 5, 1921, Marian Waddell.
DAVID B. FLEMING
Entering the employ of the New York Central Railroad in 1893 at the age of sixteen years, Mr. Fleming has continued with this important transportation system ever since, as a telegraph operator, he occupied various positions of ever-increasing importance and responsibility, until, in April 1924, he was promoted to the position of general superintendent, first division, covering all railroad systems east of Syracuse to New York City. In this influential position he was continued to show great ability, untiring industry and deep devotion to the interests of the company, qualities which he has displayed at all times throughout his long service. He has become one of the most widely known and popular railway officials in the New York Central system, and he enjoys, to an unusual extent, the confidence and respect of both his superior officers and of the large number of men working under his direction. A resident of Albany, New York, since 1918, he has also taken an active part in the civic, social and religious life of this community, where he is considered one of the most useful and substantial citizens.
David B. Fleming was born in Pennsylvania, February 12, 1877, a son of the late Thomas E. and Elizabeth A. (Sausserman) Fleming, both of Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, where the former died in 1901, being survived by his wife until 1902. Mr. Fleming's father was a veteran of the Civil War, during which he served with the Fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was a hard-working laboring man, who spent all of his life in simple circumstances, but always enjoyed the respect of all who knew him. Mr. Fleming was educated in the public schools of his native region, which he attended until he was sixteen years old. He then became a telegraph operator on the New York Central Railroad, in which capacity he continued until October 1, 1889. In the latter years he was made train dispatcher and, in 1903, chief train dispatcher. In the following year, 1904, he was promoted to the position of assistant trainmaster of the Pennsylvania division, a position which he occupied until 1906, when he was made trainmaster and located at Utica, having charge of the Mohawk and Malone Division between Utica and Montreal, and now known as the Adirondack Division. In 1909 he was transferred to Albany to act as freight trainmaster of the main line of the Mohawk Division and served in that capacity until 1910, when he was promoted to the position of assistant superintendent of the Hudson Division and was located in New York City. In 1911 he was again transferred to Albany as assistant superintendent of the Mohawk Division, and two years later was transferred to the office at Buffalo as superintendent of the Buffalo Division. In 1918 he again located in Albany as superintendent of the Mohawk Division, and in 1924 he was made general superintendent of First Division, which includes the Mohawk and Hudson divisions, outside of New York City the River, Harlem, Putnam, Adirondack and Ottawa divisions. This position he has filled since then with exceptional ability and efficiency and so greatly has he endeared himself to all those associated with him in his work, that, as an expression of their respect and confidence, the men working under and with him tendered him, July 24, 1926, a special demonstration, which was called "D. B. Fleming Day" and which was held in his honor at Mid-City Park. He is a trustee of the National Savings Bank of Albany.
Mr. Fleming is also a member of Lock Haven Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Albany consistory, Ancient Arabic Order of the Mystic shrine, of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, as well as of the Albany Society of Engineers. His clubs include the Fort Orange; the Aranian; the Wolfert's Roost Country; the Transportation, of Buffalo,. of which he is past president, and the Transportation Club of New York City; and his religious affiliation is with the Presbyterian faith. His recreation is found in golf and bowling.
In February, 1898, David B. Fleming married Anna C. Simcox, of Youngdale, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Nathan and Sarah (Quiggle) Simcox. Mr. and Mrs. Fleming are the parents of six children: 1. Vera C., born December 20, 1898. 2. Sarah E., born July 19, 1901. 3. Mildred C., born April 8, 1904. 4. Charles B., born December 10, 1905. 5. David E., burn December 27, 1910. 6. Eleanor L., born October 14, 1912. Mr. Fleming's business offices are located in the new York Central Railroad station at Albany, while the Fleming Home is at No. 39 North Pine Avenue, Albany.
C. LUDLOW LIVINGSTON
Having practiced law for many years and then having served from 1908 until 1922 in the United States Consular Service in different countries, C.
Ludlow Livington retired in 1922 and purchased his present residence in Westport, which is known as "Drearywood" Lodge. He has always been actively interested in political matters, being identified with the Republican party and having been appointed to the consular service by President Theodore Roosevelt.
C. Ludlow Livingston was born in Livingston, Staten Island, June 10, 1870, and is the son of Ludlow and Mary (Keift) Livingston. He is the tenth indirect line from Robert Livingston, who came to America in 1667, and was the First Lord of Livingston Manor, which comprised most of Dutchess and Columbia counties of New York State. His father, a yachtsman, owned the famous "Vixen," the fastest sailing vessel in its day, and was the son of Anson Livingston, who himself was the son of Henry Brockholst Livingston, colonel of General Schuyler's staff and who carried the new of the battle of Bennington to Congress.
C. Ludlow Livingston received his education at Fordham University and law degree from the University of Pittsburgh. After he completed his education, he began the practice of patent law in Alleghany County, Pennsylvania, where he practiced alone until 1908. In that year he entered the consular service, in which he remained for fourteen years, going to different parts of the world, including Mexico, England, Wales, West Indies, and Prince Edward Island, Canada. In 1922, he retired to the resident which he built in Westport. He is a member of several clubs and organizations, including the Knights of Columbus, the New York Chapter of the Society of Cincinnati, and the Fordham University Club. He and his family are members of St. Patrick's Church, in Port Henry.
In 1891, in Pittsburgh, c. Ludlow Livingston married Mary Keating, who died in 1927, the daughter of Anthony F. and Emily (Toner) Keating, old residents of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. By this marriage there were the following children: 1. Dorothy. 2. Philip Anson, killed in the World War, in which he was with the 76th Field Artillery. 3. Carol Ludlow, who married Nora Lyons, and is living in Plattsburgh. 4. Brockholst, who is a lieutenant in the Naval Reserve and who is now living at home.
Henry E. H. BRERETON
Among the leading members of the republican party in Northern New York is Senator Henry E. H. Brereton whose residence is on Bolton road, Lake George. He is a man of progressive ideas, who has always been of great value to his home community, as well as to the various district which, as a public servant, he represents.
The American progenitor of the Brereton family was Thomas John Brereton of Brereton Hall, Cheshire, England. He was captain of an English cruiser named "Betty" and served in the English and French Wars, running down French privateers. Later he resigned from the navy and came to America, locating first in Baltimore, later moving to the eastern shores of Virginia, and still later his descendants moved to Washington, District of Columbia, where they have since been notably active as army and navy men.
Captain Thomas J. Brereton, United States Army, father of Henry E,. H. Brereton, was the son of Dr. John Andrew Brereton, United States Navy. He married Amelia M. Denny, daughter of Harmer Denny, who was a member of the United States congress from Pittsburgh and he, in turn, was descended from Ebenezer Denny, who was the first mayor of Pittsburgh. On her maternal side Mrs. Brereton was a direct descendent of General James O'Hara, a general on Washington's staff and one of the most prominent figures in Pennsylvania during the Revolutionary War. It was he, together with Robert Morris, who furnished finances to the United States Government to carry on the war at its most critical period, and for his services he received a large grant of land in Pennsylvania. Captain Thomas J. and Mrs. Brereton were the parents of six children: 1. Elizabeth D., a resident of Bolton-on-Lake George. 2. Thomas John, for many years connected with the Pennsylvania Railroad, and now lives retired at Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. 3. William Denny, who died in 1924; was a graduate of West Point, and was a resident of Annapolis and Pittsburgh for several years; he has two sons: Commander William Denny, United States navy, and Lieutenant-Colonel Lewis Hyde, both graduates of Annapolis; Lieutenant-Colonel Brereton is connected with the United States Army Aviation Corps, and served overseas, being Chief of Staff for Aviation of General Pershing's first army. 4. Caroline Emily, who married Dr. Carl J. Nordstrom, of Ojai Valley, Ventura County, California; has a summer residence at Bolton-On-Lake George. 5. Henry E. H., of whom further. 6. Denny, who is interest in real estate.
Henry E. H. Brereton was born at Pitts-
burgh, Pennsylvania, July 13, 1876, the son of Captain Thomas J. and Amelia M. (Denny) Brereton. He received his education in private schools in New York City and at Harvard University, studying agricultural chemistry, forestry and allied subjects at the Arnold Arboretum and Bussey Institute of Harvard. After graduating, he traveled for some time and the came to Bolton-on-Lake George and purchased a large tract of land, where he has since made his home, and it is here that he has carried on his avocation of agriculture, horticulture and forestry, and also has devoted a large part of his time to his real estate holdings.
Early in his career he became interested in the affairs of the Republican party and soon was counted as a valued member of that organization, serving several years--in fact practically every year--as chairman of the Republican Committee of Warren County, since 1906. He also served, from 1910 to 1918, in the Assembly, representing Warren County; has been a delegate to State conventions since 1908; and in 1916 was elected on the Republican ticket to represent the Thirty-third Senatorial District, which is composed of the counties of Clinton, Essex, Warren, and Washington. He has been the author of much important legislation, especially pertaining to conservation. Among the most important of his general legislation was the Woman Suffrage resolution to amend the constitution which he introduced in the Assembly in 1916, and which passed both houses twice in his name and was ratified by the voters at the referendum following.
Senator Brereton's fraternal affiliations are as follows: Senate Lodge, No. 456, Free and Accepted Masons, of Glen Falls; Glen Falls, Chapter, No. 55, Royal Arch Masons; Washington Commandery, No. 33, Knights Templar, Delta Lodge of Perfection, Delta Council, Princes of Jerusalem; Delta Chapter, Rose-Croix, Valley of Troy, New York; and Sublime Princes of the Royal Secret, Thirty-second Degree; Albany Sovereign Consistory, Valley of Albany, New York; also Glen falls Lodge, No. 81, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; Bolton Lodge, No. 556, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He also hold membership in the Masonic Club of Glens Falls; Glen Falls Automobile Club; Automobile Club of Southern California; Automobile of America; the Albany Club of Albany, New York; and the National Republican Club of New York City.
Senator Brereton married, in 1921, Elizabeth Denny Gregg, his cousin, and daughter of the late Major Thomas J. Gregg, United States Army, and of Elizabeth Denny (McKnight) Gregg, now deceased.
The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.