The History of New York State
Biographies, Part 26

Editor, Dr. James Sullivan

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam

 

EDWIN CORNING

When the electors of the empire State, by a decisive plurality, in the fall of 1926, returned Governor Alfred E. Smith for a fourth term, they at the same time and in like manner elected Edwin Corning, Demo-

Page 142

crat. Thus by verdict of the people, Lieutenant-Governor Corning was chosen to furnish teamwork at the top of the administration.

Mr. Corning not only added political strength to the ticket, but brought to it a prestige that has been attained through al the generations of the Cornings in New York State, the family having given to its members leadership in national and State political offices, in industries, financial enterprises, and railroad administration.

It is from an ancient and honorable line that Lieutenant-Governor Corning descends. There were five American generations in the Corning family prior to Erastus Corning, the founder of this branch of the family in New York State. Erastus Corning, son of Bliss, son of Joseph, son of Ensign Samuel Corning, was a Democratic leader in this State, a member of three congresses and sat in the House throughout the Civil War. He was the first president of the New York Central Railroad, and became a powerful factor in the development of iron works, rolling mills, banks, railroads, ships and canals. At his passing his son, Erastus (2) took up his father's mantle, and carried on with the force, ability and far-sightedness that had been elements of his father's genius. Erastus (2) died happy in the knowledge that he had two sons, Parker and Edwin, the lieutenant-governor, who were fully equipped to be his successors and the upholders of the family tradition.

Erastus (1) Corning, son of Bliss, a solder of the Revolution, and his wife, Lucinda (Smith) Corning, was born in Norwich, Connecticut, December 14, 1794, and died April 8, 1872. He began his business career as a hardware store clerk for his uncle, Benjamin Smith, in Troy, New York, who, on his death several years later, left the young man the greater part of his wealth. He afterwards located in Albany, and eventually formed the firm of Erastus Corning & Company. He conducted a hardware store, and operated nail, iron works and rolling mills near Troy, known as the Albany Iron Works. He became vice-president of the New York State Bank, president of the Utica & Schenectady Railroad, which office he held for twenty years, until it was merged into the New York Central system; and president of the Albany City Bank. The directors of the New York Central at their first election chose him as president, and he held that office eleven years. He was a promoter of the Sault St. Marie Falls ship canal, joining Lake Superior with the lower lakes, and was a director in many railroads and corporations. A Democrat, he served as alderman and mayor of Albany; for thirty-nine years he was a member of the State Board of Regents, and had held the office of vice-chancellor of that body; he was a State Senator for four years, a delegate to two Democratic National Conventions; and elected a member of the Congress in 1856, 1861, and 1863, serving six years in all. He married Harriet Weld, of Roxbury, an intelligent and cultured woman, and to them were born five sons: 1. Benjamin Spencer, deceased. 2. John Spencer, died in childhood. 3. Erastus (2), of whom further. 4. Joseph Weld, deceased. 5. Edwin W., born September 4, 1836.

Erastus Corning (2), son of Erastus (1) and Harriet (Weld) Corning, was born in Albany, New York, June 16, 1827, and died in that city, August 31, 1897. He finished his education at Union college, and trained for his business career under the able preceptorship of his distinguished father. The son succeeded to the presidency of the Albany Iron Works, became president of the Albany City National Bank, the Albany City Savings Institution and the Rural Cemetery Association, a director of the New York Central Railroad, and financially interest in numerous other important enterprises. His home on a beautiful farm, just south of Albany, was his delight. There he grew rare flowers and raised blooded horses. He was a Democrat, but the only offices he had consented to hold were those of presidential elector and alderman of Albany. He gave generously to the cause of education, religion and public improvements. The site of All Saints' Cathedral, Albany, was donated to the parish by him. He was of the Protestant Episcopal faith. He married (fist) Gertrude Tibbetts, who died in 1869, leaving a son, Erastus (3) who, on account of ill health, was unable to participate in the Corning enterprises; instead he devoted himself to art, travel and his books. He married Grace Fits Randolph Schenk, and to them was born a son, Erastus (4), who became an eminent physician in Albany. Erastus (2) Corning married (second), in 1872, Mary Parker, daughter of Amasa J. Parker, lawyer, circuit judge, vice-chancellor, justice of the Supreme Court, legislator, regent, congressman, and Democratic candidate for governor of New York in 1866, and his wife, Harriet Langdon (Roberts) Parker. His likeness graces one of the capitals of the grand staircase in the State Capital in Albany. To Erastus (2) and Mary (Parker) Corning was born: 1. Parker, whose sketch precedes this. 2. Ed-

Page 143

win, the lieutenant-governor, of whom further.

Edwin Corning, the younger of the two sons of Erastus (2) and Mary Parker Corning, was born in Albany, New York, September 30, 1883. He was educated at the Albany Boys'; Academy, Groton School, Groton, Massachusetts, and Yale University. From which he was graduated in the class of 1906 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He at once went to work for the Ludlum Steel Company, at Watervliet, New York. He was elected secretary-treasurer in 1908 and president in 1910. Under his management the Ludlum Steel Company has experienced a stage of marked prosperity.

Edwin Corning early manifested an intense interest in political affairs. His party recognized his executive ability by electing his county chairman in 1912. Later candidates for city and county office were brought forward successfully by Mr. Corning. He was repeatedly elected a delegate to the State conventions of his party, and was a presidential elector in 1924. With his influence in the councils of his party, and his strength in Albany county and up-State districts, he became State chairman; when the Democrats of New York made up their State ticket in the fall of 1926, Mr. Corning was their choice for Lieutenant-Governor. This choice was approved when with Governor Smith, that indefatigable warrior and wheelhorse of his party, he was swept into office in the biennial election.

AS have been his forebears, Lieutenant-Governor Corning is a practical farmer. He lives on the old Corning homestead, known as the "Upper Farm," two miles south of Albany. His well-kept acres have as their principal activity the breeding and raising of thoroughbred cattle. Mr. Corning takes great interest in Irish Wolfhounds, owning several of the finest specimens of his breed of dog.

Lieutenant-Governor Corning has numerous official associations in finance and industries. He is a director of the New York State National Bank, a trustee of the Albany Savings Institution, and treasurer of the Albany Felt Company, in addition to other important connections. He is a member of the chapter (the presiding body) of all Saints' Cathedral, Albany; a former president of the Fort Orange Club; a member of the Yale Club of New York City; the Graduate Club of Yale; Elizabethan Club of Yale; Schuyler Meadow Country Club of Loudonville, New York; and the Mohawk Club of Schenectady, New York.

Lieutenant-Governor Corning married, November 25, 1908, Louise Maxwell, daughter of Allen and Ellen (Blackmer) Maxwell, her father a missionary in India, now deceased. Children: 1. Erastus (5), born October 7, 1909. 2. Louise. 3. Harriet. 4. Edwin, Jr., the latter born September 26, 1919.

EDWARD W. RANKIN

Engaged in the practice of law for half a century, Edward W. Rankin is one of the leaders of the bar in New York's capital, Albany, and is well known as an authority on real estate law and titles. For many years, until his eldest son, Edward E. Rankin, became associated with him, Mr. Rankin carried on his practice under his own name, but since then the name of the firm has been E. W. & W. E. Rankin, with offices at No. 74 Chapel Street, Albany. He is not only a successful lawyer, but is also a man of culture and prominently active in the religious and social life of his community, where he enjoys the respect and confidence of all who know him. In spite of the heavy demands made upon his time and energy by his extensive practice, he has found it possible to give considerable attention to other interest, and is a director several corporations, which have greatly benefited by his keen judgment and wise counsel, and he has also been effectively active for a long period in the affairs of the several bar association of which he is a member, and more particularly of the Albany County Bar Association, of which latter he was one of the organizers and was elected its president, January 11, 1927. Edward W. Rankin was born in New York City, August 12, 1850, a son of the late Edward E. and Emily (Walkinson) Rankin. His father, a prominent clergyman of Newark, New Jersey, and a veteran of the Civil War, during which he served as a member of the Christian commission, died in 1889, while his mother survived until 1904. Mr. Rankin was educated at the Collegiate School, New York City, Newark Academy, Newark, New Jersey, and Williston, East Hampton, Massachusetts, and Princeton University, from which he was graduated in 1871 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and took the degree of Master of Arts in course. He is also a graduate of the Albany Law School, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1873, and was admitted to the bar that year. Mr. Rankin spent the next year abroad, beginning active practice of law at Albany in 1876, since which time he has continued with success. He has always specialized in real estate law and has become widely known for his knowledge and experience in

Page 144

this field, he is a trustee of the Albany County Savings Bank and a director of the Albany Insurance Company, a member of the American, New York State, and the Albany County Bar associations. His clubs include the University, Fort Orange, Albany, and the Princeton of New York City. In politics, he is a supporter of the Republican party, while his religious affiliations are with the Presbyterian church, and more particularly with Westminster Presbyterian Church of Albany, of the trustees of which he as been a member for many years. Edward W. Rankin married in 1884, Catherine B. Putnam, of Cherry Hill, Albany, New York, a daughter of Alonzo and Harriett M. (VanRensselear) Putnam, to whom were born three children: 1. Edward E., a graduate of Phillips-Exeter Academy, Princeton University, and Harvard Law School, and now associated with his father in the practice of law. 2. Captain Herbert E, who died on his way to France while in the military service of the World War. 3. Emily W., a graduate of Smith college, Northampton, Massachusetts, The Rankin family home is at Cherry Hill, Albany, New York.

James EDWARD McDONALD, M. D.

Numbered among the prominent physicians of this section of New York State, as well as being a leader in political circles, is Dr. James Edward McDonald, of Cohoes, New York. From early manhood he became interested in civic affairs along with his professional work in which he has been most successful, and as a result of his popularity in the public eye, was elected to the office of Mayor of Cohoes in 1920-21.

James Edward McDonald was born in Cohoes, New York, July 14, 1878, the son of William and Bridget (Corbett) McDonald, the former a contractor and builder of Cohoes who previous to his death in 1918 had retired from active business life. Mrs. McDonald is still living and is a resident of Cohoes. Dr. McDonald received his early education in the public schools of his native place and then entered LaSalle Institute at Troy in 1895, where he completed the prescribed course, and, having in the meantime, determined to take up medicine as his life-work, and with this end in view, he, accordingly, matriculated at Albany Medical College, from which he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1899. Completing his studies, he immediately entered upon the practice of his chosen profession, locating in his native city, and the years which have intervened have brought him an ever-increasing clientele which spells success. He is a member of the Albany County Medical Society.

A Republican in politics, and ever taking a keen interest in the activities of his party, Dr. McDonald was recognized by a large majority of the populace of Cohoes as one capable and well fitted to become that community's chief executive and when he was nominated for the office of mayor in 1920 he was easily the people's choice, and upon being elected served his native city most acceptably for two years, proving that the had been the right man for the place. Fraternally, Dr. McDonald is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus, Lodge No. 508, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and he and his family are communicants of St. Agnes Roman Catholic Church of Cohoes.

Dr. James Edward McDonald married, in Cohoes, December 23, 1901, Helen Kerley, a native of Cohoes. Dr. and Mrs. Helen McDonald are the parents of four children: 1. William, born in 1905, is attending Albany medical College, class of 1930. 2. James, born in 1909, is a student at Union College, Schenectady, class of 1930. 3. Helen, born in 1911, is a student at Cohoes High School. 4. Frances, born in 1914, is attending the local grammar school. They maintain their residence at No. 30 Columbia Avenue.

CHARLES ROSS

Engaged for three decades in the cut stone business, first in Troy, and since 1905 in Albany, Mr. Ross, since 1916, has been the managing head of the Adam Ross Cut Stone Company, Incorporated, with headquarters at Broadway, Albany. From a comparatively small beginning this enterprise has been built up into the largest of its type in New York State, outside of New York City, and its radius of operations in recent years has extended over some hundred miles. Most of the largest and the most elaborate buildings of all kinds, erected during the last two decades in Albany and nearby territory have been supplied with cut stone by Mr. Ross' firm which enjoys a very high reputation for the promptness of its service, the efficiency of its organization and the integrity of its owner. Mr. Ross also tales an active part in the civic, fraternal and religious life of the community, where he is considered one of the leading and most substantial business men and where he enjoys to an unusual extent the respect and confidence of all who know him.

Page 145

Charles Ross was born in Troy, Rensselaer County, New York, August 17, 1873, a son of the late Adam and Agnes (Connell) Ross, the former a native of Scotland, successfully engaged in the cut stone business to the time of his death in 1916, the latter surviving her husband until 1918. Mr. Ross was educated in the public schools at his native town. In 1896, together with his father, he founded the Adam Ross & Son Cut Stone Company. Its fist location was at No. 2748 sixth Avenue, Troy, where it continued until 1905. In the latter year it was removed to its present location at Broadway, Albany. In 1911 the business was incorporated as the Adam Ross Cut Stone Company, of which Mr. Adam Ross became president. In this office he continued to the time of his death in 1916, when he was succeeded by his son, the subject of this review, as managing head. The company is engaged in supplying high-grade stone for the exterior work on buildings of all types and has met with unusual, but well-deserved success until today it is considered the oldest and largest concern of its type in this part of New York State. Upward of twenty men are employed by it and it has participated in practically every important operation in Albany and nearby territory during the last two decades, involving the use of cut stone. To give a complete list of its operations would practically mean the enumeration of all of the large buildings, both public and private, erected in Albany and other central New York cities since 1905. Among the most important, however, where this company has supplied the cut stone, should be mentioned: University Club, St. Vincent Institution, House of the Good Shepherd, Albany Metropolitan Hotel, Cathedral Academy, School No. 20, Central Bank, First National Bank of Albany County, Philip Schuyler apartments, Albany Municipal buildings, many churches, schools and hospitals, and the Farrell mansion at Loudenville, New York.

In politics, Mr. Ross has always been a staunch supporter of the republican party; he has never sought or held public office, but has always taken a sincere and intelligent interest in public questions. He is a member of Phoenix Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. And of the Albany Chamber of commerce. His religious affiliations are with the Baptist Church, and more particularly with Temple Baptist Church, of Albany, in the work of which he has taken an active and helpful part for many years. being a deacon and past member of the board of trustees.

Charles Ross married, in 1898, Grace E. Williamson, of Troy, a daughter of Caleb and Julia (Sim) Williamson. Mr. and Mrs. Ross are the parents of seven children: 1. Donald C. 2. Bertha H. 3. Edna M. 4. Grace E. 5. Kenneth S. 6. Ralph D. 7. Charles Jr.

WALTER CRAFT WITHERBEE

Who was born in Port Henry on July 1, 1856, and who died on September 28, 1922, was, during his lifetime, one of the most active and energetic men in this vicinity, having been engaged in the iron business and also having served as Collector of the Port at Plattsburg. Having gone into his line of business with the Witherbee Sherman Company, of Port Henry, and having worked through the different branches of the business, Mr. Witherbee was at the time of his death chairman of the board of directors of the company.

Born in Port Henry, July 1, 1856, he was the son of Silas Hemingway and Sophia C. (Goff) Witherbee, the former of whom was the founder of the Witherbee Sherman Company. After having attended different public and private schools, he entered Yale University, from which he was graduated in the class of 1880. He prepared for his work at Yale by attending the Berkeley Private School in New York. after he completed his education, he spent most of his business career with the Witherbee Sherman Company, of whose board of directors he was chairman. But he did not confine his business interests to the work of this company, having been associated with a number of other organizations. He was vice-president and a director of the Port Henry Iron Ore Company; and vice-president and a director of the Lake Champlain & Moriah Railroad Company; and a director, later president of the J. H. Gautier Company, of Jersey City. He was also considerably interested in banking, having been president of the Citizens National Bank, of Port Henry. During the World War he was associated with Mr. Bilesky, of the Department of Justice, for the district of Port Henry, in which position he was active throughout the conflict. He was a member of the executive committee of Camp Dudley, one of the oldest boys' camps in Northern New York. Upon the tercentenary celebration on Lake Champlain and the dedication of the lighthouse on Lake Champlain, on which he owned and commanded a house-board, Mr. Witherbee was decorated by France with the Legion of Honor. Politically,

Page 146

He held the views of the Republican party, and for many years was a member of the Republican State Committee. He was a member of the Yale University Graduate Club, and while he was in college he belonged to the Skull and Bones Club, of Yale.

Always active in fraternal life, he was a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, in which order he was affiliated with the Royal Arch Chapter, No. 209, the Commandery; the Council of Royal and Select Masons, of Whitehall; the Scottish Rite, of Albany; and was a Noble of the Mystic Shrine in oriental Temple, Troy. He was also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He was identified with many clubs and associations, having been an organizer and sponsor of the Port Henry Country Club; a member of the executive committee of the Young Men's Christian Association of New York State; a member of the American Institute of Mining Engineers, the New York State Forestry Association, the Deer Outing Club, the University Club of New York City, the Wawonoissa Club, the Lake Champlain Yacht Club and the Burlington Yacht Club, the American Canoe Association, the Adirondack Protective Association, the Delta Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, the New York Yacht Club, the New York Historical Association, the Lake Champlain Association, the Senior Golf Association, the Bear Lake Fish and Game Club of Canada, the Rocky Mountain Club; the New York Chamber of Commerce, the Yale Engineering Association, the Triton Club of Quebec, the American Game Protective Association; and a life-member of the American Museum of Natural History. His recreation was found in hunting and fishing. He was a trustee and a member for many years of the First Presbyterian Church of Port Henry.

On June 3, 1886, in New York, Walter Craft Witherbee, married Annie Gautier, the daughter of Dr. Josiah Hornblower and Marie Louie (Gregory) Gautier. By this marriage there were four children: 1. J. Gautier, who died at the age of nineteen years. 2. Silas H., who is associated with the Witherbee Sherman Company. 3. Louise Gautier, who married Lieutenant-Commander Stanton Merrin, of the United States Navy. 4. Annie Catherine, who is at home.

James Henry SHINE

An outstanding figure of his time in the knit-goods industry of this State, James Henry Shine, president of the Hope Knitting Company of Cohoes, and chairman of the wool group of the New York State Association of Knit-Goods Manufacturers, during his long and memorable career as the head and moving spirit of extensive manufactories, also exhibited qualities of character and citizenship which made him a highly useful member of society and an important factor of his community. A veteran of the Civil War, he brought from the field of battle those better elements of courage, tenacity and wholesome aggressiveness which were salient features of his personality as he forged ahead in the line of business which he ad elected as his life calling. A great-hearted man, of a calibre of mind and practice that breathed capacity coupled with generosity, he early became a leader of his contemporaries in the knit-goods manufacturing business, a foremost and influential member of his county and village councils, and a constructive force for good citizenship and improved community environment. He was made the recipient of numerous honors by his fellow-manufacturers and fellow-citizens, and these he bore with that humility which was one of his many graces.

Born in Waterford, Saratoga County, new York, December 9, 1846, James Henry Shine was a son of Bernard and Bridget (Gannon) shine. From the public schools, he entered the cooperage trade in which he was engaged until he was eighteen years of age, when he gratified his desire to fight on the side of liberty and the integrity of the Union. He enlisted for service at Troy, New York, January 5, 1864, and was mustered in as a private in the 16th New York Volunteer Heavy Artillery. He was enrolled in Company K prior to August 8, 1864. He served for the rest of the war and received his honorable discharge at the mustering out of his company at Washington, District of Columbia, august 21, 1865. He was in the campaigns before Petersburg and Richmond, Virginia, in the battles of the Wilderness and Fort Fisher, and in two engagements at Darbytown Road, Virginia, the first on October 76, and the second on October 13, 1864, and in other actions. Throughout his term of service he was a brave and efficient soldier, being known simply as Private Shine.

After the war, he returned to Waterford and resumed his work in the cooperage shop, which he pursued for a number of years. In 1884, he put into concrete form a persistent idea that he should become associated with the

Page 147

knit-goods industry. In company with John Dunlop, boss carder. And George Temple, boss knitter, he established a knitting mill in Valley Falls, New York, which he operated for six years. In 1891, giving up his Valley Falls factory, he joined the forced of the Hope Knitting Company, of Cohoes, becoming s stockholder and secretary of the concern, and general manager of the factory. The late Peter McCarthy, millionaire mill owner of Troy, was treasurer of the Hope Knitting Company at that time, the late William H. Rowe its president, James O'Neill, vice-president, and Mr. Shine, secretary. Following the death of Mr. Rowe, who owned the majority stock in the concern, his shares were purchased by Roswell P. Flower a few years after the latter was governor of the State. On the death of Mr. Flower, his interest was taken over by John D. Archbold, a conspicuous figure in Standard Oil, and Mr. Shine acquired control of the company by purchasing the stock held by the Archbold estate in 1917, following the death of Mr. Archbold

Mr. Shine was engaged in the manufacture of knit-goods for more then thirty-five years, and was everywhere acknowledged as a veteran and an expert of the trade. He was recognized as one of the ablest representatives of the industry in New York State, if not in the entire Eastern United States. During the World War he was the soul of patriotism and a pillar of strength to the United States Government. On a number of occasions he was invited by Lincoln Cromwell, chairman of the Underwear Branch of the Council of National Defense, to conferences in New York City and Washington relative to the fulfillment of war orders for the army and navy. His advice regarding the standardization of the general product for use in the service was very highly prized. He became one of the best-known men in the trade throughout the country, and enjoyed the acquaintance of most of the selling agents in his line. He served the government during the World War also as supervisor of production in the Cohoes, Troy, Waterford, and Albany districts, and he made an estimate that during the war fully 5,000,000 sets of underwear garments were produced by the Cohoes factories for this government and others. His positive manner, ripe judgment, and his decisions, practically arrived at and rapidly rendered and to the point, made him a most capable executive in his own concern and a most valuable counselor to the government.

In his political affiliations, Mr. Shine was of the Democratic faith, and for fifty years approximately he had been an active participant in the political affairs of Saratoga and Albany counties. He was assistant-weigh master for the Champlain Canal at Waterford from 1874 to 1880; in 1882, he was honored with the Democratic nomination for member of the assembly; served as a supervisor of Waterford in 1882, 1883, and 1884, and was a trustee of the village for a number of years. For several years he was chairman of the Cohoes Public Improvement Commission, now extinct. On two occasions, he was a candidate for mayor of Cohoes, one of this opponents winning the election by the narrow margin of five votes.

Mr. Shine's outside associations covered a wide range of activities. He was a director of the National Bank of Cohoes; a member and former president of the Utowana Club of Troy, a member of the Troy Club and the Van Schaick Island Country Club. He was affiliated with the Cohoes Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; Cohoes council, Knights of Columbus; and Lyon Post, Grand Army of the Republic. He was a member and a former director of the Cohoes board of Trade. He was a communicant of St. Bernard's Church, Cohoes.

James Henry Shine married, April 4, 1872, Mary J. Doorley, daughter of Edward and Cordelia (Lee) Doorley, of Waterford. She died April 24, 1887, and was survived by Mr. Shine until November 8, 1920, when he passed away at his home on Seneca Street, Cohoes. They were the parents of four children: 1. John H., who succeeded his father as president of the Hope Knitting company; married Florence Smith, of New York City, and has three children: James J. (2), Jean Hodges, and Florence Agnes. 2. Thomas B., secretary of the Hope Knitting Company. 3. Lucy. 4. Mary lee. All are residents of Cohoes.

The high esteem in which Mr. Shine was held by his fellow-directors in the National Bank of Cohoes is shown by the following expression made by the board:

In sorrow and grief the directors of the National Bank of Cohoes record the death of their associate, James H. Shine. Ripe in judgment, wise in counsel, rich in years and experience, he has given unstintedly of his time and strength to this institution. A man of strong individuality, unflinching courage and loyalty has passed away., His life was part of the community in which he lived and labored. Though he had passed the allotted span of years, he was ever among the first to respond to any appeal in the inter-

Page 148

est of the public welfare. We, who so long have been associated with him, desire to express our appreciation of his kindly nature, his unswerving integrity and his generous cooperation. "A faithful and true friend, inestimable in possession and greatly to be lamented when gone."

The Cohoes Knit good Manufacturers' Association adopted the following resolution on the death of Mr. Shine:

God in His infinite wisdom has seen fit to take from our midst to that greater Life our esteemed and well-beloved friend and fellow-manufacturer, James H. Shine. He has always been one to whom we could look for counsel and advice and one who will be keenly missed in our community."

Under the caption "A Big-Hearted Man," the "Troy Times" said editorially anent the passing of Mr. Shine:

Widespread will be the mourning for the death of James H. Shine, of Cohoes. Much can be said of him as a business man, conducting extensive manufactories, and as a patriotic American, whose organizing powers were freely placed at the disposal of the Government during the World War, eliciting warm praise from President Wilson and others at Washington. But it was the charity of the man that made him the monarch of his friends' affections--not merely the free-handed gifts to all manner of endeavors to help the distressed, but the more essential charity which is born in a kind heart. to know him was a beatitude; to remember him is the sweetness of sadness.

 

The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie Axtman

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.

2004

[Index][Book Index][NY][AHGP]