The History of New York State
Editor, Dr. James Sullivan
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
EDWARD J. DONEHUE, D. D. S.
Dr. Donehue, well-known member of the dental profession, whose practice in Albany has brought him to the attention of a goodly number of patients, who are eminently pleased with her services, was first engaged as a practitioner in Fulton, New York, but the major part of his career to date has been built in the capital city. It is here that he has developed and broadened with true devotion to the science of dental surgery, in which he is exhibiting remarkable skill and a progressiveness that is akin to modern advance. Born in Whitehall, New York, March 1, 1889, Dr. Donehue is the son of M. C. Donehue, now deceased, was a leading hotel proprietor in Whitehall for some years prior to his death; the mother is still living.
From the schools of his native village, the son, Edward J., went to the University of Pennsylvania, from whose dental department he
was graduated in the class of 1912 with the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery. Dr. Donehue opened his office at the beginning of his practice in Fulton, in 1912, and for six years he ministered to the dental requirements of the people of the community. He believed, however, that a greater opportunity for service awaited him in the city of bigger business, larger population, and a legislative atmosphere. Accordingly, in 1918, he closed his office in Fulton and came to Albany, where he has remained to the present time, fully convinced, as are his patrons, that circumstances and emoluments have fully justified the wisdom of the transfer of his practice. Dr. Donehue is a member of the American Dental Society, and the Albany County Dental Society.
Dr. Donehue was married, June 1, 1921, to Mary C. Esmond, and they are the parents of two children: 1. Esmond E., aged three years (19260, 2. Rebecca A., nine months, (1926).
LEON M. LAYDEN
Having conducted a general practice of law in Whitehall since 1915, Leon M. Layden is now regarded in legal circles in this section as one of the important figures in his profession. Not only has he devoted him time to his own practice, but has been active always in promoting the general welfare of the town, having held many different public offices in Whitehall. He is the son of John and Mary (Rahar) Layden. His father was a merchant in West Pawlet, Vermont, and under the Wilson administration was postmaster there.
Leon M. Layden, who was born in West Pawlet, Vermont, on December 17, 1893, attended the public schools of that town, then went to Granville High School, and finally to Georgetown University, where he was a student in the law school, from which he graduated in the class of 1913. After he left Washington, District of Columbia, where he had been attending law school, he worked for a time with the firm of Van Santwood and Wellington, of Troy. He remained with that firm for one year, then came to Whitehall, where he was admitted to the bar in 1915. Almost immediately he opened an office in Whitehall, where he has been conducting a general law practice ever since that time. He is active in banking quarters, being a trust officer of the Merchants; National Bank. He is affiliated politically with the Democratic Party, and has held several public offices. He had been Village Attorney, Police Justice (in 1927), United States Commissioner, and president of the Board of Education. At the time of the World War he was inducted into service at Camp Meade, Maryland; then was transferred to the Artillery Officers' Training School at Camp Zachary Taylor, Kentucky, where he served until the Armistice was signed and the forces there were demobilized on November 30, 1918. Mr. Layden belongs to the Knights of Columbus and to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He and his family are members of the Church of Our lady of Angels.
No December 26, 1922, in Whitehall, Mr. Layden married Helene Morgan, the daughter of Almond and Anna (Gully) Morgan. By this marriage there are two children: John J., and Edward F.
MICHAEL D. LOMBARDO
A successful lawyer at Jamestown, New York, for some years, Michael D. Lombardo, is widely regarded as one of the most able and progressive members of the local bar. He has built up an extensive practice throughout this section of the State, giving his best efforts in his clients' service and scoring many notable victories in the courts of the county. In addition to his practice, Mr. Lombardo has maintained a consistent interest in civic affairs, and is prominent in political and fraternal circles.
Born in Anita, Pennsylvania, on March 11, 1895, Mr. Lombardo is a son of Frank and Rose Lombardo, of that place. He received his education in the Pennsylvania schools and at Jamestown, where he was graduated from the high school in 1915, and then, having decided upon a legal career, undertook the course of study at the Albany Law School. From this institution he was graduated in 1918, with the degree of Bachelor of Las, and in September of the following year was admitted to the New York Bar.
When the United States entered the World War, Mr. Lombardo immediately offered his services, and in May, 1918, enlisted as a member of the United States Navy. He was mustered out of the service in January of the following year, returning at that time to his legal work. Following his admittance to the bar, he established a practice in Jamestown, and ina very short time has built it to flattering proportions as the demands for his services constantly increased. For a period of almost ten yeas now he has devoted his time and attention to this work, carrying on a general practice and spe-
cializing in criminal law ina most successful way. He is active in the work of the various legal associations, holding membership in the Jamestown Bar Association, the New York Bar Association, and the American Bar Association.
Mr. Lombardo gives his hearty support to every worthy movement for progress and advance, contributing liberally of both his time and substance toward these ends. He stands high in local political councils, while, fraternally, he is affiliated with the American Legion, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Loyal Order of Moose, and the Knights of Columbus. Mr. Lombardo's offices are situated in rooms 500-502 Fenton Building, at Jamestown, while his residence is at No. 7 Allen Street.
George BRADFORD KEMP
As vice-president and assistant cashier of the City National Bank of Watertown, George Bradford Kemp demonstrated a remarkable capacity for finance, much of which he inherited from his distinguished father, John E. Kemp, founder and for many years president of that institution. The ennui of a life of retirement palled on him after he had withdrawn from active association with the bank, and he organized an automobile sales agency, which became very prosperous under his able direction. He continued in this line of business with steadily increasing success until the time of his death.
George Bradford Kemp was born august 15, 1863. His father, John E. Kemp, was born in Manlius, attending schools there and Hobart College, Geneva, New York. In his youth and young manhood he drove stagecoaches, which then were the only means of transportation. He founded the City national Bank of Watertown, and remained as its president until his passing in 1896. His son, George Bradford, attended the public school of Watertown and was graduated from the high school. It seemed that natural thing for him to follow in his father's footsteps by entering the City National Bank. He always held the same positions, vice-president and cashier, for which he was eminently qualified. He had a genuine adaptability for the banking profession, and his services to the institution of his father's founding wee useful in holding and adding to the good will which spelled the great success of that bank.
In 1910 Mr. Kemp retired form the City National Bank, thinking to enjoy a well-earned rest. A few years sufficed, however to convince him that ease might become a source of wearying monotony, and he emerged from retirement to open office on Arsenal Street, Watertown, for handling the Kissel car. The business was a success almost from the beginning, and it grew so rapidly that, in 1915, he was forced to take more commodious quarters, and he removed to the more desirable location in the Charleston building. Here the business continued to increase and is prosperity kept pace with the demand for his type of automobile.
Mr. Kemp was not only a business man of recognized sagacity, he was a leader among a great following of friends, and in their associations he and they enjoyed mutually helpful and social relations. He was a member of Trinity Church at Watertown, and one of the most earnest and generous supporters of its work and enterprises.
George Bradford Kemp married, in June, 1896, Marion Remington, daughter of the late Charles Rowland Remington, of whom further. The death of Mr. Kemp occurred April 24, 1918, and was the occasion of widespread mourning and friends in the Watertown community.
Charles Rowland Remington, father of Mrs. Marion (Remington) Kemp, was born in Manlius, Onondaga County, New York, October 18, 1835, son of Illustrious and Eunice (Denison) Remington. Having passed through the schools of his native village, he entered Hobart College, graduating with honors in the class of 1854. He began his business career as an employee of his father's paper mill in Watertown. On September 20, 1864, he and his brother, Alfred D. Remington, and Walter D. Sewell, organized the Watertown Paper Company with a capital of fourteen thousand dollars. The company did a successful business and enjoyed a long period of prosperity. On July 5, 1881, Charles Rowland Remington disposed of his interest in the mill to his brother, Hiram. Then he formed a partnership with his son, Charles H. Remington, and they erected a paper mill at Woods Falls (Now Glen Park), a suburb of Watertown. After eighteen yeas of successful operation this mill was sold to the International Paper Company, in 1899. In 1900 the Aldrich Paper Company was established, with Charles Rowland Remington as president, and operated a paper mill at Natural Dam, Gouverneur, St. Lawrence County. Subsequently the Remington-Martin Company was established,
having its mills at Norfolk, and their operation was under Mr. Remington's active management.
In 1885, Mr. Remington, in association with his brother, A. d. Remington, and Edward M. Gates, built the City Opera House at Watertown, this building at the time being the last word in design and construction for that type of structure. In many other ways he did contribute to the growth and prestige of the city. He achieved an enviable reputation as one of the most progressive, reliable and straightforward of the citizens of his community. Eminently successful as was his due, he was the president of a number of paper manufacturing companies, and was a member of Trinity Church, and the Union Club of Watertown. He was widely known and highly respected for his upright business methods, an gave liberally of his wealth for the public welfare.
Charles Rowland Remington married, September 16, 1858, Helen M. Warren, daughter of Parson Warren, of Manlius. They were the parent of four children, of whom three are deceased, and the surviving child, Marion R., who married George Bradford Kemp, as hereinbefore mentioned. Charles Rowland Remington passed away December 1, 1913, bequething a precious memory to family friends and community.
James K. DUNSCOMB
From bank clerk to lumber dealer, and to chief financial officer of the Albany Hardware and Iron Company, with which he has been associated in his present position for more then thirty-five years, are the salient features of the business activities of James K. Dunscomb, whose experience as treasurer of the concern ranks him among the most expert of those engaged in that capacity in his line of business. He continues to give virtually all his attention, a he has for many years, to the duties of his office, and has not south to make other contacts which might divide his interests.
James K. Dunscomb was born in Albany, New York, December 17, 1853, the son of Edward and Katherine R. (Ketchum) Dunscomb. His father, now deceased, was for many years engaged in business as a lumber merchant. The mother is also deceased.
The son, James K., received his early education at the Boys' Academy Albany, and finished at Rutgers College, in 1873. His first stated employment was as clerk in the Mechanics and Farmers' Bank of Albany, and he remained in that position six years. He next established Phillips & Dunscomb Lumber Company, with which he was identified until 1890. In the latter year he was elected treasurer of the Albany hardware and Iron Company, which had only then become established, and he has ever since been an important and indispensable member of the corporation.
Mr. Dunscomb's political alliance is with the Republican party, but in no sense ha he been an office-seeker; he has confined himself for the greater part of his career to his official business duties, in the performance of which he has made a most enviable record. He is a member of the Fort Orange Country club and the Albany Country Club.
Mr. Dunscomb married, January 7, 1890, Amelia Bewsher.
James SOUTHWORTH PARKER
Descended from a long line of ancestors who first settled in new York State, Hon. James Southworth Parker, of Salem, New York, for many years has been an influential and valued factor in political activities of this States, and especially have his administrative talents been felt in the United States congress, where, since 1912, he has represented the 29th district of New York State in the capacity of Congressman.
James K. Parker, father of James Southworth Parker, was born in Utica, New York, and for many years was in the retail jewelry business at Utica. He married Grace E. Southworth, of Great Barrington, Massachusetts, and a member of a prominent family of that name in that section. Mr. Parker served in the Civil War as a member of the 49th Massachusetts Infantry.
James Southworth Parker, son of James K. and Grace E. (Southworth) Parker, was born in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, June 3, 1867, and received his early education in the public school of his native place, after which he attended Massachusetts State College and subsequently matriculated at Cornell University, being a member of the class of 1889. Completing his college course he taught mathematics at St. Paul's School at Salem, New York, for four years, then at Tivoli, New York, for two years, after which he became a teacher at St. Paul's School at Concord, New Hampshire; but after four years he returned to Salem, and has since made his home here. His residence is a fine old mansion and is one of the show places of this community. Since coming to Salem, Congressman Parker has oc-
cupied himself with the management of his "Woody Hill Stock Farm," which is one of the largest in this section of the State, comprising some of the best blooded cattle and horses in the country.
Early in life Congressman Parker became actively interest in the Republican Party and was elected to the New York State Assembly, to represent Washington County, in 1903, serving in 1904 and 1905, and was re-elected in 1907, and served in 1909, 1910, 1911, and 1912, at which time he was elected to the United States Congress to represent the 29th Congressional District of New York State. He has served in this capacity ever since, bring, in point of service, one of the oldest members of that august body. He has also been chairman of the Washington County republican committee for more than twenty years, and was delegate to the republican national Convention in 1904 and 1908 and an alternate in 1912, 1916, 1920, and 1924. Fraternally, he is a member of Lodge No. 391, Free and Accepted Masons of Salem; the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of Troy; Salem Grange, and Salem Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He also holds membership in the Metropolitan Club of Washington, District of Columbia; the Chevy Chase Country Club of Washington, District of Columbia; Union League of New York City; Troy Club of Troy; Fort Orange Club of Albany, and the Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity, Cornell Chapter. His religious affiliation is with St. Paul's Episcopal Church of Salem, where he serves as vestryman.
James Southworth Parker married (first), at Salem, June 21, 1899, Marion Williams, daughter of John Martin and Frances (Schriber) Williams, the former a direct descendant of General Williams, who was a member of the Continental Congress. Mrs. Parker died August 25, 1923, and Congressman Parker married (second) Mrs. Amy (Glidden) Richards, who was a daughter of John M. and Anna (Warren) Glidden, of Troy, New York. Congressman Parker's recreation is found in out-of-door sports and his avocation is blooded stock.
HERBERT J. FEEHAN
Among prominent and successful New York business men should be listed Herbert J. Feehan, secretary and treasurer of the United States Abstract and Surety Company, Incorporated, of Albany, New York. Mr. Feehan was born in Willard, New York, December 25, 1878, the son of Patrick and Elizabeth (McGarvey) Feehan; the former, after many years of employment in the State Hospital at Willard, died in August, 1917, and the latter passed away in August, 1910.
Herbert J. Feehan received his education in the local public schools, after which he was occupied in various capacities until 1904, when he was elected county clerk of Seneca County, and so ably performed the responsible duties of the office that he was re-elected in 1907, and again in 1910. He then lived in retirement until 1915, when he again entered public service under appointment as examiner of title searches and maps in the office of the attorney-general for the State of New York. In June, 1924, Mr. Feehan retired from this office in order to devote himself to a business on his own account and accordingly purchased the charter and good will of the United states Abstract and Surety Company, Incorporated, the largest business of its kind in the Capitol District and the only one in Albany, from Northrup H. Holmes, of Troy, who had established it in 1913, and had continued to own it until Mr. Feehan took it over. The personnel of the concern, whose purpose is the searching and certifying of titles particularly in connection with water power and realty developments, is: Frank M. Williams, president; Benjamin McClung, vice-president; and Herbert J. Feehan, secretary and treasurer. Mr. Feehan is a member of the American Title Association and served as a delegated to its convention in 1923 and 1926; and is ex-officio member of the executive committee of the New York State Title Association, having served as its president 1922-1923. Mr. Feehan's political affiliation is with the Republican Party, and, fraternally, he holds membership in the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Seneca Falls Lodge, No. 992, and is a fourth degree member of the Knights of Columbus. He is a communicant of St. Vincent de Paul's Roman Catholic Church.
On September 1, 1908, Herbert J. Feehan, married Elizabeth Hanratty, of Ovid, New York, who died February 21, 1920, survived by a son, William Herbert Feehan, born august 9, 1919.
ELI WEST HERRICK
Long a prominent figure in industrial, financial and civic circles of Jefferson County, Eli West Herrick, late of Watertown, was known as a successful business builder and executive, for his marked abil-
ity as president of charitable, philanthropic and religious enterprises. He was one of the founders and for many years the head of the Jefferson County Tuberculosis Society and its sanatorium. A former president of the Watertown Chamber of Commerce, he was also, at the time of his death, president of the Watertown Savings, Loan and Building Association, and president of A. H. Herrick & Son, Incorporated, one of the largest flour manufacturing concerns in the Empire State.
Eli West Herrick was born at Black River, June 11, 1856, a son of Allen H. and Ella (West) Herrick, his mother the daughter of Dr. Eli West, who was one of the early settlers of Carthage, New York. The Herricks migrated to the Jefferson County section of this State from Vermont, where the family had long been resident. Eli spent his early boyhood in his native village, where his father was engaged as a merchant-miller. The family removed to Watertown, where the elder Herrick founded the A. H. Herrick Milling Company. The boy Eli finished his education at the Watertown High school from which he was graduated in the class of 1874. The following two years he was in the employ of the National Bank and Loam Company, whose offices were then on the site of the present Northern New York Trust Company's building.
His entrance upon his major career as a manufacturer followed his brief but intensive training in finance. Joining forced with his father in the flour milling industry, he mastered all the processes of that enterprise, so that he was enabled to assume a managerial and executive position in the business. He was received a partner, and the style of the concern was change to A. H. Herrick & Son, Incorporated, he being made vice-president and manger of the corporation. Following the death of his father, he was made president of the company, which office he held until the time of his death. One of the greatest achievements of his career was the development of the flour mills bearing the family name to cone of the largest industries of the kind in this State. Besides the local business, the company supplied wholesale dealers throughout the country with the Herrick prepared food products of various brands of flour. Only a short time before Mr. Herrick's death, steps were taken to expand the interests and service of the concern so that a larger wholesale business could be conducted and the wholesale territory extended to include foreign countries.
Always extremely active in all movement for civic betterment, Mr. Herrick devoted much time, thought and energy to the fight on tuberculosis. He was made president of the Anti-Tuberculosis Society of Watertown, serving in that office for many years, being re-elected but a short time prior to his passing. With the organization of the Jefferson County Tuberculosis Society, he was elected president. He was one of those instrumental in the establishment of the camp at Huntingdonville for the care of tubercular patients; then followed the building of the County Sanitorium on Coffeen Street, Watertown, in the plans and consummation of which he was an important factor. He was deeply interested in the work and was of invaluable assistance to the committee in charge, maintaining his official connection with the enterprises until his fatal illness seized him. He had presided over the deliberations of committee and societies with dignity and constructive advice, and for many years had given without stint of his time, thought and means. In support of the main project, that of the sanitorium, he was particularly prominent, and appeared frequently before the board of supervisors in seeking their aid and counsel.
Mr. Herrick was thoroughly devoted to the work of the Watertown Young Men's Christian Association. From May, 1919, to May, 1923, he served as its president, and was a member of the board of directors up to the time of his death. "No man was more interested or took a more vital part in the activities of the Young men's Christian Association," said Secretary F. F. Bugbee, in speaking of Mr. Herrick's loss to the association. "He was constantly coming in to see how we were getting along and made a very fine president. He was a man of pure gold. Mr. Herrick was always present at the meetings of the officers and was a real friend of the Y."
For many years prior to his election as president of the Watertown Chamber of Commerce, Mr. Herrick was a member of the board of directors. He held the executive office for four years, and of his official association with the chamber, Secretary C. C. Smith, said: "Mr. Herrick was a fine type of man with a wonderful interest in community affairs. I thought very highly of Mr. Herrick in all my connections with him, especially in Community Chest drives in which he played an active part each year. Records of the chamber show that it enjoyed a fine period of growth during Mr. Herrick's presidency."
For more then thirty years Mr. Herrick was a director of the Watertown Savings, Loan and
Building Association. He was a former vice-president, and upon the death of W. H. Moore was elected president, July 3, 1916, serving in that office until his decease. Secretary A. E. Sherwood, of that association, gave the following as his tribute to the memory of Mr. Herrick: "Mr. Herrick had always taken an active part in his years of service in the work of the association. He was one of the finest men I ever knew. Fair and open-minded in all propositions that came before the association, his interest was manifested by faithful attendance at the meetings of the board of directors. The association will miss him greatly. He had done many good deeds for worthy people who needed help and came to the association."
Mr. Herrick was affiliated with the Free and Accepted Masons, and Carona Lodge, Independent Order of Odd fellows. He was a member of the Crescent Yacht club, and a life-long member of Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church, of which he was for many years vestryman. He was an honorary member of the New York State Museum at Albany, and was eligible to the Sons of the Revolution.
Eli West Herrick married, May 26, 1881, at the home of the bride in Watertown, Ella Sargent, daughter of Walter and Eliza M. (Pettit) Sargent. Mrs. Herrick's father, a native of England, was one of the settlers of Sackett's Harbor. Her mother, born near Clayton, was a descendant of soldiers of the Revolution and the War of 1812. Mrs. Herrick is a member of Leroy de Chaumont chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, and of the Northern New York Society, Daughters of 1812.
The death of Eli W. Herrick occurred at his residence in Watertown, on Janaury 30, 1927, following a long illness which eventuated in an extremely sudden passing, to the great shock and sorrow of his family, friends and business associates. A contemporary of Mr. Herrick incited the following appreciation of his life and service, which might be called a composite of the general feeling of the people of Watertown and Jefferson County:
Mr. Eli W. Herrick, for many years prominent in the manufacturing and community life of Watertown, was a very valuable citizen. In spite of the demands that his business made upon him, he always found time to serve his community and to make it a better place in which to live.
Perhaps the most valuable service which Mr. Herrick rendered to the community was the part he took in the flight on tuberculosis. He was president of the Jefferson County Anti-Tuberculosis Society, and he espoused the county tuberculosis hospital plan when it was received rather coldly by the Board of Supervisors. He appeared before the board and after a hard campaign, he presented arguments which could not be denied. He espoused the hospital idea in the face of strong opposition, and less determined men would have become discouraged and would have abandoned the fight. It was largely through his individual efforts that the Board of Supervisors finally took action which resulted in the establishment of the county sanitorium which is now such a valuable adjunct in the fight against the disease. The tuberculosis death rate in Jefferson County has been greatly reduced and in a large measure this has been due to the intensive campaign carried on by the society under the direction of Mr. Herrick.
He was at the time of his death president of the Watertown Savings, Loan and Building association. He presided over the affairs of that organization with fairness and consideration of others. His judgment was always respected by his associates and his judgment was invariably good.
His death is a distinct loss to Watertown and Jefferson County.
The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.