The History of New York State
Biographies, Part 30

Editor, Dr. James Sullivan

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam

 

PRESTON PARIS

Formerly in the banking business indifferent cities, Preston Paris now holds an important place in the industrial life of Hudson Falls, where he is vice-president of the Standard Wall Paper company. He has been with his company since 1895, when he returned to Hudson Falls to be its treasurer. He also is active in other companies having to do with the paper and decorative industries.

He is the son of Urias G. Paris and Cordelia (Rogers) Paris. His father was a practicing lawyer in Hudson Falls and president of the People's National bank, in which the son early in his career held the position of teller for about two years. The elder Mr. Paris also was active in the political life of the town, being a Republican in his views and having held for a number of years the office of surrogate.

Preston Paris, who was born in Sandy Hill, Hudson Falls, in 1862, was educated in the public schools; at glen Falls Academy, from which he was graduated in 1882; at Columbia University, where he attended the law school for one year; and in his father's office, where he studied law for two years. In 1884 he entered the People's National Bank as teller, a position which he held for about two years, at the end of which time he went to Gaylord, Kansas. After he had remained eight years in Gaylord with the Bank of Gaylord as a partner in the private bank, Mr. Paris returned to Hudson Falls to become treasurer of the Standard Wall Paper Company. In 1915 he was elected vice-president of this company. His other business interests include directorships in the Iroquois Pulp & Paper Company, and the Decorative Company, of Saratoga; and a vice-

Page 166

Presidency in the People's national Bank. His political sympathies are with the Republican Party. Since 1902 he has been president of the Board of Education. He is an active member of the Rotary Club, and of the Glens Falls Country Club. He and his family are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which he is a trustee.

In Hudson Falls, in 1887, Mr. Paris married Grace Kellogg, the daughter of the Rev. C. D. and Mary J. (Baucus) Kellogg.

MYRON J. WILCOX

Ever since the beginning of his business career, Myron J. Wilcox has experienced steadily growing prosperity. He is a man of progressive ideas and has at all times been willing to give his community whatever service lies with his ability. His interest in his projects at Ticonderago, where he resides, is an active one and has often been of value to that community.

Born in Ticonderago, November 12, 1859, he is the son of William K. and Cornelia P. (Treadway) Wilcox. The father of William K. Wilcox was Dr. Levi Wilcox, the first practicing physician of this town, and the Treadways were the first weavers of cloth in this part of the State.

Educated in the public schools of Ticonderago, Mr. Wilcox began his business career as a clerk with Rowell & Shattuck, owners and proprietors of the largest retail general store in Ticonderago, remaining for twelve years. On the death of Mr. Shattuck, in the fall of 1891, the business was dissolved, and on August 2, 1892, Mr. Wilcox entered the furniture and undertaking business, in partnership with Gilligan & Stevens, under the firm name of M. J. Wilcox & Company. This partnership lasted one and one-half years, when Mr. Gilligan died. Mr. Rowell, one of the former employees of Mr. Wilcox, purchased their interests and they continued for about five years, during which time the firm was known as Rowell & Wilcox. Mr. Wilcox then bought Mr. Rowell's interest. On January 9, 1916, Mr. Wilcox suffered loss by fire at the time when the Union Opera House was destroyed. The following season he purchased the site at No. 46 West Exchange Street, and erected the building which the firm now occupies. This building, which is s two-story modern structure, is devoted entirely to house furnishings and is the largest establishment of its kind between Glens Falls and Plattsburg, New York. In 1923 Mr. Wilcox took his son, Kirby D. Wilcox, into partnership, and since then the firm has been known as M. J. Wilcox & Son. Besides carrying on a successful furniture trade, they also do an extensive undertaking business.

Mr. Wilcox is a director of the Moses Ludington Hospital; is president of the Mount Hope Cemetery Association; has served as Town Collector; was a member of the Board of Education for six years, and for a number of year was a member of the Board of Health. He is a member of the sons of the American Revolution, being a direct descendant of Jonathan Treadway, who was on Washington's staff at the time they crossed the Delaware. Mr. Wilcox's fraternal affiliations are with the Free and Accepted Masons, Mount Defiance Lodge; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Ethan Allen Lodge; the Eastern Star, Rebekah Lodge; and in civic life he is a member of the Ticonderago Chamber of Commerce.

At Putnam, New York, April 2, 1889, Myron J. Wilcox married Etta May Lillie, daughter of David and Margaret M. (Maxwell) Lillie. Of this marriage, there is one son, Kirby D., born December 10, 1889, who graduated from the Ticonderago High School in June, 1917; entered Union college; in the fall of 1918 he enlisted in the United States Army and was subsequently stationed at Camp Taylor, Louisville, Kentucky, with the 7th Field Artillery, replacement troops, and was there until December 5, 1918, when he received his honorable discharge. He then returned home and entered his father's business with which he has been closely allied ever since. On September 22, 1924, Kirby D. Wilcox married, at Ticonderago, Mildred E. Spearman, daughter of Ernest and Kathline (Stewart) Spearman, of Ticonderago.

WILLIAM ELBRIDGE FOSKETT

With the establishment of the Albany hardware and Iron Company, there came to the concern's official staff William Elbridge Foskett, who was elected to the office of secretary, and has ever since occupied that position in one of the largest and most important wholesale and retail hardware houses in upper New York. he filled a number of places of employment of various character through the years preceding this present connection, and when he was elected secretary of the Albany Hardware and Iron concern, his associates knew the right man had fitted into his proper place. He has made the office one of

Page 167

the most important to the great success for which the house is noted. He was very favorable known to the trade, is held in high esteem by his official associates, the staff of the company and its patrons.

Born in Camden, Oneida County, New York, October 10, 1867, William Elbridge Foskett, the son of Elbridge S. and Frances Ann (McCune) Foskett, his father engaged as a mechanic. He received his education in the schools of his native village, and then went to work, eventually becoming associated with the Albany Hardware and Iron Company as its secretary. He has a rich experience, and is well equipped for the execution of the details of his office. He is also president of the West End Savings and Loan Association of Albany.

In politics, Mr. Foskett is a member of the Republican party.. He is affiliated with Ancient City Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Albany; is a member of Temple Commandery, No. 2, Knights Templar; Cyprus Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is a director of the Albany Automobile Dealers' Association, and also of the Albany Chamber of Commerce. He is a member of the Sons of Veterans of the Civil War; a Past Director of the Albany Kiwanis Club and trustee of the First Methodist Church, Albany, New York.

William Elbridge Foskett, married, October 14, 1891, Idalia Robbins, and they are the parents of three children: 1. Ward R., who served in the United States Navy in the World War; 2. Olive, and 3. Raymond.

FRANK B. HAYNER, D. D. S.

Albany County, among other jurisdictions of the State, is blessed with leaders in the professions, and in this rank properly belongs Dr. Frank B. Hayner, well-known dentist, whose practice is centered in the Capitol City. His skill has called to his offices a lucrative practice from a select and discriminating number of people, not only from Albany itself but also from its environs. He enjoys also very high standing among his fellow-professions in their leading bodies.

Dr. Frank B. Hayner was born in Waterford, New York, April 28, 1892, a son of Philip G. and Caroline (Davenport) Hayner, his parents living, the father a retired realtor, and having his residence in Waterford. The son, Frank B., was a pupil in the public school of his native town, and prepared for college with the idea of entering the practice of dentistry confirmed in his mind. He entered the University of Pennsylvania, where he made a fine scholastic record, and from which he was graduated in the class of 1916 with the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery. In the same year of his graduation he engaged in practice in the city of Troy, where he continued until 1918, in which year he removed to that larger and more important field, the capitol, where he has ever since grown in favor with those to whom he ministers.

Dr. Hayner is a member of the New York State Dental Society and the American Dental Association. He is held in high esteem by the members of his fraternity both for his achievement of success in the profession and his sustained interest in its forward movement. He is held also in warm regard in the community for his qualities of constructive citizenship. In his politics he is a Republican, but as such only employs his suffrage in support of his party's policies and candidates. He is affiliated with the Free and Accepted Masons, holding membership in the various bodies of that order, up to and including the Royal Arch Masons. He is an enthusiast in bowling and belongs to the Third Reformed Bowling Club. His religious association is with the Third Reformed Church of Albany.

Dr. Frank B. Hayner married, October 1, 1916, Lena Heger, and they are the parents of a daughter, Lois. Dr. Hayner's professional address if State Street, Albany, New York.

FRANCIS EVERETT BALDWIN

Among the leading industrialists of the United States are Francis Everett Baldwin, who was president of Thatcher Manufacturing Company of Elmira, New York, from 1900 to 1927, and attained a notable achievement, his life having been one of intense activity and usefulness, and as such has been a potent factor in controlling the forces of trade and commerce throughout the country.

John Jackson Baldwin, father of Francis Everett Baldwin, was a native of Meredith, Delaware County, New York. For many years he was engaged in business as a blacksmith in Otego; he was a Republican in politics, and in his religious affiliations was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He married Sallie M. Beardsley, a native of Connecticut, and to them were born nine children--four

Page 168

boys and four girls arriving at the age of maturity. Among the three children that are still living are Francis Everett, of whom further.

Francis Everett Baldwin, son of John Jackson and Sallie M. (Beardsley) Baldwin, was born in Otego, Otsego County, New York, August 30, 1856. After completing his studies in the public schools of his native place and at the Oneonta Academy, under private instruction he read law in his brother's Erwin J. Baldwin's office in the city of Elmira. For two years he taught school, being obliged to walk ten miles each day to accomplish his duties as teacher for the munificent salary of $40.00 a month and board himself; and for the same length of time was instructor to the Elmira New York State Reformatory. He was admitted to the bar in 1881, and subsequently formed a partnership with his brother Erwin J. Baldwin, with whom he was associated in the practice of law until 1902. Meanwhile, in 1900, he had become president of the Thatcher Manufacturing Company, and two years later he gave up the practice of law in order to devote his entire time to his new duties. The factory was first located in Potsdam, New York. When Mr. Baldwin first entered the firm, he found it in serious financial difficulties, but he borrowed capital and began to develop the business which he soon has on a paying basis. When he took charge of the business the sales were less than $150,000 a year. In November, 1920, Mr. Baldwin's health gave out. The muscles of his heart could not stand the severe strain of the burden he had been carrying for many years, and in the early part of 1927 he retired from business because of his health, since which time he has been engaged in no business whatever. In 1920 the organization enlarged the scope of its operation taking over several additional plants, and now has factories in Dunkirk, Lockport, and Elmira, New York; Clarksburg, Cedar Grove, and Parkersburg, West Virginia; and Mount Vernon, Ohio; Streator, Illinois; but still retains its headquarters in Elmira. At the time of Mr. Baldwin's retirement, the authorized capital stock of the company was one hundred and thirty thousand shares, the volume of business having increased between five and one-half and six million dollars per year and the company had been pre-eminently successful manufacturing and selling a large majority of all the milk bottles manufactured in the world. Its assets totaled over eight million dollars. The company was re-organized then and the common stock was multiplied by three. In the right plants nothing is manufactured but milk bottles, and the company was, as stated, by far the largest industry of its kind in the world. It was perfected through the untiring effort of Mr. Baldwin to where it operates with a minimum expenditure of time and labor. The company is still continuing with equal efficiency and profit. Mr. Baldwin came to Elmira in the fall of 1877. Through the many years of his residence he has always taken a keen and active interest in everything pertaining to the welfare and advancement of the city, and for eight years was a director of the local Chamber of Commerce. He was a director of the Rotary club, and also of the Century club, and for more than a quarter of a century a member of the National Arts club of New York City. He also is affiliated with the Country club and the Masonic Order. Mr. Baldwin is and has been for more than fifty years now an ardent worker in the Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church, acting as steward, trustee and teacher in the Bible School, and has been elected and serve as a delegate to five consecutive General conferences of the Methodist Episcopal church. There is probably no stronger advocate of prohibition than he, having served for four years as State chairman on the executive committee of the Prohibition Party of New York State, and for many years a member of the National Committee of that party.

On May 7, 1882, Francis Everett Baldwin married Anna Grandin, a daughter of the Rev. James L. S. and Elizabeth (Knapp) Grandin, the former the fist collegiate educated minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church to preach in this section of the country. Mrs. Baldwin was born in Laceyville, Pennsylvania, and received her education in Elmira and Ovid, New York. To Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin have been born two daughters: 1. Lena, who is a graduate of Syracuse University; and 2. Ethel, who is also a graduate of the same institution and is the wife of Edwin Bradley Bruce. Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin gave to the World Service of the Methodist Episcopal Church one million dollars in February, 1927, it being the largest single gift that had ever been given through the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Baldwin has always been interested in his fellow-men and has tried to be helpful especially to the young men and women with whom he has come in contact.

Such, in brief, is the life record of Francis Everett Baldwin, which is highly worthy of emulation, for it is proven beyond a doubt that he has never been content with mediocrity, but

Page 169

has ever been actuated by high ideals, and what he ash accomplished represents the fit utilization of his innate powers and talents.

MAJOR CHARLES A. SANDBURG

Possessor of a distinguished record as a soldier in two wars, a foremost figure in the financial affairs of the Jamestown area, Chautauqua County, postmaster of Jamestown, Major Charles a. Sandburg has contributed generously to the economic, civic and social advancement of his community, and is account a leader in its several phases of activity. His biography is of unusual interest.

Major Sandburg was born in Titusville, Pennsylvania, February 21, 1874, son of Lewis and Nellie (Pearson) Sandburg, both of whom, natives of Sweden, came to this country early in life. They were married in Wisconsin, Lewis Sandburg, who is now (1928) aged eighty-two years, makes his residence in Jamestown, where he has lived since 1888. Formerly active in business as contracting mason, he continues identified with movements of interest of the community, and is a liberal supporter of the First Methodist Church here. Hence for two-score years the name of Sandburg has been one of prominence in Jamestown.

Major Sandburg received his academic instruction in the schools of Sugar Grove, Pennsylvania, then went to work as clerk in a hotel. Later he became a shoe clerk, and was in this position when America declared war against Spain. Meanwhile he had begun his military activity, having enlisted in the 113th Separate Company, New York National Guard, may 23, 1896. From this he received discharge August 1, 1898, and, having left his place as clerk, enlisted on that very day for the duration of the war with Spain, with Company K, 202nd New York Volunteer Infantry. He was discharged April 15, 1899. Under this enlistment he served four months in Cuba. On May 25, 1899, he re-enlisted, in Company N, 1st Battalion, New York National Guard, in which he continued until July 19,. 1913, when transferred to Company E, 65th Infantry, of the guard, serving from July 20, 1913, to June 19, 1916. On June 20 of the latter-named year he was transferred to the 74th Infantry of the New York National Guard, and this regiment was called into the Federal service for Mexican border duty July 1, 1916. From the Federal service, he was discharged February 28, 1917, having served on the border as captain, Company E, 74th Infantry. The United States entered the World War in April, 1917, and the 74th Infantry was again called by the President, March 28, being consolidated with the 3d infantry, New York National Guard, October 20, 1917, forming the 108th Infancy, 27th Division, which division was discharged March 31, 1919. On November 15, 1899, in the war with Spain, Private Sandburg became Corporal Sandburg. June 23, 1900, he was promoted to the rank of sergeant. Second lieutenant was given him July 15, 1913, and it was on March 1, 1915, that he became captain. Now, in the World War, he was advanced to the rank of major, January 19, 1919. He was first or second in command of the 2d Battalion, 108th Infantry, United States Army, 27th Division, from August 31, 1918, to December 15, 1918, having gone overseas aboard the "President Grant," May 17, 1918. He returned, incidentally, on the "Mauretania," March 8, 1919, having been wounded in action October 15 and October 18 of that year. he received the Distinguished Service Cross with Citation, and the French Croix de Guerre, with Gilt Star, and Diploma No. 109,565. From December 15, 1918, to the date of discharge in 1919 (the Armistice having been signed November 11, 1918), he was first in command of the 2d Battalion, 108th Infantry, and it was during this command that he became major.

Battles and engagements of the World War in which Major Sandburg participated included that of the Hindenburg Line, in France, September 29-30, 1918; the La Selle River, France, October 18, 1918; Vierstraat, Ridge, Belgium, August 31 to September 2, 1918; and that of St. Maurice River, France, October 19-20, 1918. Minor actions in which he took part included that of the East Poperinghe Line, in Belgium, July 9 to August 20, 1918, and in the Dickebusch Sector, Belgium, August 21-30, 1918.

After his return to civilian life following service in the Spanish-American War, Major Sandburg became joint owner of a retail show store--the firm of Anderson & Sandburg, at No. 108 Main Street, Jamestown. Here he continued up to this service on the Mexican border and the World War. In the fall of 1919 he engaged in the retail lumber and lumber manufacturing business, purchasing the Wilson Lumber Yard and Mills of Jamestown. This firm was composed of himself as president, Vern F. C. Anderson as vice-president, and A. W. Anderson as secretary and treasurer. Articles of incorporation were filed at Albany, to do busi-

Page 170

ness under the trading style of Wilson Mills, Incorporated. In the spring of 1927 the company was merged with six other lumber concerns of Jamestown, and has since operated in consolidated form as the United States Lumber and Supply Corporation, of which Major Sandburg is a director. He is a director of the Monitor Furniture Company, the Empire State Life Insurance Company, and is interested in other financial enterprises.

Major Sandburg was appointed postmaster of Jamestown, April 18, 1924. He has served on the City Zoning Board and Park Commission, and is a member of Mount Moriah Lodge, No. 145, Free and Accepted Masons; Western Sun Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Jamestown Lodge of Perfection, Ismalia Temple, Ancient Arabic Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; Fraternal Order of Eagles, Jamestown Nordin Club, Kiwanis Club, United States Spanish War Veterans, Samuel W. Porter post No. 45, American Legion, Ira Lou Spring Post, No. 149, of the Veterans' Association; the Legion of Valor; National Association of Postmasters; and the Young men's Christian Association. He is a communicant of the First Baptist Church.

On July 18, 1900, Major Sandburg was married to Ella M. Peterson, of Jamestown, daughter of Albert and Ida M. Peterson. Their children are; 1. Alline M., born September 1, 1904, wife of Alfred Horn, of Jamestown; mother of a son, Alfred, Jr. 2. Lewis Albert, born April 24, 1915, Mrs. Sandburg is active in the Auxiliary of the Spanish-American War, and in the Baptist Church. The family residence is at No. 26 Prather Avenue, Jamestown.

WILLIAM HARRIS ARNOLD

Few if any of the residence of Chemung County have so great a fund of information of that section of the empire State as William Harris Arnold, of Elmira, well known throughout the jurisdiction a an historian whose authoritative writings are highly prized by the people of that region. Mr. Arnold is also one of the most finished exponents of the printers' trade, with which he has been practically connected all his life, and in the business circles of his home city he is favorably known.

William Harris Arnold was born in Toronto, province of Ontario, Canada, son of Henry William and Sarah Ann (Cathers) Arnold, the former a naive of England and the latter of Canada. At the age of nine years he came with his parents on their removal to Chemung County and the father became a pressman on the Elmira "Telegram," with which newspaper he continued in service many years. Both parents were devout and active members of the Presbyterian Church in Elmira, and the father was also affiliated with the Royal Arcanum Council in that city. There were two children: 1. William Harris, of whom further. 2. Mary E., who married Wesley A, Robertson.

From the public schools of Elmira, William Harris Arnold received his education, graduating from grammar school in 1888. In that year he began o serve an apprenticeship in the printers' trade, which he has followed virtually forty years. His first service was with Elmira "Telegram,' and in 1902 he became connected with the Elmira "Gazette,' then with the "Star-Gazette," and he has been connected with Barber & Duane, incorporated, ever since that firm took over the printing department of that newspaper. Throughout the trade he is esteemed an expert, while the firm to whose establishment he is attached place a high value on his services.

For many years, Mr. Arnold gratified his penchant for the collation of facts concerning the Chemung county region and Elmira, and for bringing them into the form of historical works. His researches have been faithfully pursued to many original sources, where he tapped springs that gave forth information of quality and volume such as few historians of the section have at their command. In 1922 he was chosen local historian for the city of Elmira, and in January, 1923, he was commissioned the historian for Chemung County. the wisdom of making these appointments lies in the fact that it is well founded in the capacity of Mr. Arnold to execute the commissions with which he is charged.

The Chemung County and Elmira communities have benefited and will continue to benefit from the intense interest that Mr. Arnold takes in their steady forward movement in all endeavors of life. His ability for chronicling the growth and progress of the region and the advance of its people is a lively asset whose value shall be preserved in historical form in the archives of the city, county and State.

Mr. Arnold is highly stationed in the Masonic fraternity and in Odd Fellowship; affiliated with Union Loge, No, 95, Free and Accepted Masons, of Elmira; the Corning Consistory, Scottish Rite, Corning New York; Kalurah Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Binghamton, New York; Newton Lodge, No. 89, Independent Order of

Page 171

Odd Fellows, of which he is a Past Grand; Chemung Encampment, No. 18, of that order, Queen City, No. 10, Patriarchs Militant, of which he is Past Captain; and has the honors of being a Past District Deputy Grand Master and a Past District Deputy Grand Patriarch. In political matters he is of the Republican faith, and has his religious fellowship with the Presbyterian Church.

Mr. Arnold enjoys high standing among learned organizations, particularly those which have to do with the assembling and preservation of historical material. He is president of the Central New York Historians; historian and custodian of the Chemung County Historical Society; a member of the New York State Historical Association and of Morgan Chapter, New York Archaeological Association, Rochester, New York. His clubs are the Masonic of Elmira, the Triple Link, and the Chemung County Rod and Gun.

 

The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie Axtman

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.

2004

[Index][Book Index][NY][AHGP]