The History of New York State
Editor, Dr. James Sullivan
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
Henry AUGUSTUS ALLEN
The presidency of the Capitol Trust company of Schenectady is an office to which Mr. Allen came after a banking experience broad and thorough and inclusive of notable service in the foreign field. He is a native of the district in which his business activities center and was born in Albany, March 31, 1879, son of Henry A. and Carrie I (McGuinness) Allen, his father a merchant in Albany.
Mr. Allen obtained his education in the Albany Boys' Academy and the Albany High School. He began his active career as a bank messenger with the Albany County Bank, Albany, and before he left the first bank with which he was connected, he had risen to the position of bookkeeper and assistant teller. He was twenty-three years of age when he became teller in the Schenectady Trust Company, and he remained with this bank during the seventeen years that followed, advancing to the dual office of secretary-treasurer. At this point the Chase National Bank of new York City asked him to represent the institution in China, an opportunity whose broadening influence so affected him that he resigned his Schenectady post to accept it. In the year and a half that he spent in the Far East, he organized seven branch banks of the Chinese-American Bank of Commerce. Returning to America after his foreign service, he located in Jamaica, Long Island, for eight months, in charge of the banking department of the Title Guarantee Trust Company. The treasurership of the Mutual Bank & Trust Company, of Hartford, Connecticut, was his next official connection, and at the end of two years, he returned to Schenectady with the Union National Bank, accepting the position of cashier. When the Capitol Trust Company was formed, Mr. Allen was the choice of the directors for the vice-presidency and managership, and a few months later he was made its president and has since held that office. In addition to his responsibilities in the field of finance, he is treasurer and a director of the Schenectady Air Port, Incorporated; a director and treasurer of the Schenectady Chamber of Commerce, and director and treasurer of the Schenectady Bureau of Municipal Research.
A long military record in several branches of the service stands to Mr. Allen's credit. For twenty years he was a member of the National Guard of the State of New York, and he served on the Mexican Border with Major-General O'Ryan. He has belonged tot he 3d Signal Corps; Troop B, Cavalry, of Albany; and the 2d Infantry, in which he a first lieutenant and battalion adjutant. He is a Republican in political sympathy, and his club memberships include the Rotary Club, the Mohawk Club, and the Mohawk Golf Club.
Henry Augustus Allen married, April 13, 1907, Ethel M. Blauvelt, daughter of Isaac Blauvelt, of Albany. Mr. and Mrs. Allen are members of St. George's Protestant Episcopal Church, of Schenectady, New York.
One of the youngest bank officers, not only in Albany, but anywhere in new York State, Mr. Bult, who has been connected with the National Savings Bank of Albany for some six years, ever since he left school at the age of eighteen years, has been treasurer of this influential and successful financial institution since November, 1925. The very fact that he was appointed to this important and responsible position in his twenty-fourth year, indicates Mr. Bult's extraordinary ability and there can be no doubt that a most brilliant and useful career in his chosen field lies before him. Naturally he is considered one of the most prominent of the younger generation of Albany's bankers and business men and he enjoys to an unusual degree, not only the confidence of his associates, but also the respect and admiration of all who have come in contact with him.
Ralph Bult was born in Font Grove (Slingerlands), Albany County, New York, June 25, 1902, a son of Nicholas and Hattie (Van de Wall) Bult, both natives of Holland, the former to the time of his death in 1922, a successful farmer in Albany and Rensselaer counties. He was educated in the public and grammar
schools and Rensselaer High School, class of 1918, and at the New York State College for Teachers. In 1920 he began his business career with the bank with which he has been connected ever since, the National Savings Bank of Albany, founded in 1808 and since then developed into one of the strongest and most successful savings banks in Central New York, having total assets of more than thirty million dollars. His first position was of a clerical nature, but his marked ability brought him quick recognition, and he was made successively mortgage clerk and assistant treasurer. In November, 1925, he became treasurer, succeeding in this position Frederic B. Stevens, whoa few months earlier had been elected president of the bank. In his new position, Mr. Bult has displayed all the qualities which have been responsible for his rapid rise and he is contributing his full share to the continued and ever-increasing prosperity and success of his bank. He is a member of the American Institute of Banking, and in politics he is a supporter of the Republican Party. In his religious affiliations he is a member and attendant of the Dutch Reformed Church of Castleton, but is also connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church of Brookview, of which he is secretary and treasurer and a member of its board of trustees.
Mr. Bult's avocation is agriculture, and when not engaged at the bank he is busy directing operations on his farm at Brookview where blooded Holstein cattle particularly claim his interest and concentrated efforts. Mr. Bult is unmarried and resides at Brookview, Rensselaer County, New York.
MAJOR HUGH REILLY
It is common among lawyers to find gifts of a high order handed down from generation to generation, father to son. The Adams family and the Choates are examples from Massachusetts, while Albany, New York, had had noteworthy instances of the same kind, as in the Peckhams, who sat on the bench of the Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. High Reilly, a generation ago, was one of the brightest legal minds in the capital city, one time a District Attorney of Albany County and a Judge of the Court of Claims of the State. The High Reilly who bears the name today with distinction is his son. He was born in Albany, November 28, 1886, son of Judge Reilly, who died in 1903, and of his wife, Orinda (Smith) Reilly. He studied at the historic Albany Boys' Academy; at Georgetown University, where he was a member of the class of 1909; and in the Albany Law School, where he was graduated in 1912 with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. He was admitted to the bar the same year, and from 1912 until 1916 he was engaged in independent practice in Albany. He joined Troop B of the New York National Guard in 1914 and served until March 6, 1917, after doing duty at the Mexican Border in 1918. When the country entered into the World War, Mr. Reilly attended the first Officers' Training Camp, and received a commission as captain of cavalry in August, 1917. He was assigned to Camp Dix with the 78th Division. He was thereafter sent to various camps in the South as instructor; and was commissioned major of cavalry. He served from that time until September 15, 1920, when he was honorably discharged. He acted as chief attorney for the Board of Contract Adjustment in the Claims Bureau of the War Department in Washington from August, 1919, until he left the Army. He holds a commission as major in the Officers' Reserve Corps. He resumed practice in Albany as soon as he returned home. From January, 1923, until December 31, 1924, he was deputy attorney-general of the State in charge of the Bureau of Fraudulent Securities. In May, 1924, he formed a partnership with Coplin Yaras, under the firm name of Reilly & Yaras, with offices at No. 100 State Street, Albany.
Major Reilly is a member of the Albany County Bar Association; the Wolfert's Roose Country club; and attends St. Vincent de Paul's Catholic Church. He is a man of kindly mien, a versatile and agreeable companion, and he has a wide circle of friends. He stands at the front of the younger generation of lawyers in the great center of law, and has a future in the Democratic Party, which was adorned by his father a quarter of a century and more ago.
Major Reilly was married, April 29, 1918, to Edna M. Walsh, daughter of Edmund A. Walsh; their home is located at No. 592 Madison Avenue, Albany.
ROLLIN B. SANFORD
To Rollin B. Sanford, of Albany, his ability in the legal profession and his aptitude for public leadership have brought opportunities for State-wide and national public service. As a member of the firm of Sanford and Alexander, he has demonstrated a mind that grasps facts comprehensively; organizes them effectively, and retains them systemically; a personality which wins the liking and confidence of individuals and groups, and faithfulness to high
ethical standards. These same qualities have entered into his pubic career.
Rollin B. Sanford was born in Nicholville, New York, May 18, 1874, son of Henry T. and Louise (Brewster) Sanford. He graduated from Tufts College with his baccalaureate degree in the arts in 1897, and from Union University with that of Bachelor of Laws in 1899.
Admitted to the courts of New York State the year he completed law school, he engaged in practice in Albany as a member of the firm of Sanford and Alexander. His success in that field has been steady and assured. He was district attorney of Albany county from 1908 to 1914, member of the 64th Congresses, 1915 to 1921, and is now a member of the New York State Board of Law Examiners. While in college he was member of the Theta Delta Chi fraternity, and he is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons. His clubs include the University and the Fort Orange. In political affiliation, Mr. Sanford is an organization Republican, though his wide knowledge of affairs and thoughtful habit lead him to use discretion in politics. He is a communicant of the Episcopal Church.
On April 4, 1904, Rollin B. Sanford married Harried Keefer.
CORTEZ RANDOLPH CLAWSON
Lon experience as an educator, serving as professor of history and Greek in Salem College, Salem, West Virginia, as president of Salem college, and as a professor in Alfred University, has made Cortez Randolph Clawson thoroughly familiar with the needs of college students, and for the past seventeen years he has been rendering most expert service as librarian of Alfred University, in Alfred, New York. he has seen the library grow from a collection of a few thousand volumes to more than 41,000 volumes at the present time.
Cortex Randolph Clawson was born in New Market, New Jersey, May 26, 1865, son of Jonathan Fitz Randolph Clawson, a farmer who was a soldier in the 23rd Regiment, New Jersey Volunteers, during the Civil War, fought in two battles, and was taken prisoner, and of Rebecca A. (Harris) Clawson. After attending the local public schools, he matriculated in Alfred University, in Alfred, New York, from which he was graduated with the degrees of Bachelor of Literature and Bachelor of Philosophy in 1892. The following fall he began his work as an educator as professor of Greek and Literature in Waterford Academy, at Waterford, Pennsylvania. After two years in this position he accepted the chair of history and Greek in Salem College, at Salem, West Virginia, where he continued from 1894 to 1907. In the last mentioned year he was made president of Salem College, and two years later he came to Alfred, New York, as librarian and professor of History and Political Science in Alfred University, in which position he served from 1909 to 1911. In the latter year, owing to the growth of the University, he was asked to give his entire time to the library, and has rendered most efficient service in that capacity for the past seventeen years. Throughout his active career, Professor Clawson has continued to study and to improve his equipment for his work. In 1906 he received the degree of Master of Arts from Alfred University. He also did special correspondence work under the direction of the University of Chicago for two years, and has done a large amount of special work during the summer sessions of Columbia and Harvard universities. In his political affiliation, Professor Clawson is a Republican, and he takes an active interest in local public affairs in Alfred. He is a local historian for the town of Alfred, has written a history of Alfred in the World War, and has recently finished a history of the town of Alfred from the earliest times to 1927. The last mentioned is an illustrated work, and very complete. In addition to these two books, Professor Clawson has also written two books, Professor Clawson has also written various articles for a number of different publications.
Cortez Randolph Clawson was married (first), In Dunellen, New Jersey, in 1893, to Abbie M. Wilson, daughter of James Y. and Frances (Stillman) Wilson; (second), in Alfred, New York, in 1917, to Lucia S. Weed, daughter of Frank J. and Harriet (Smith) Weed; (third), at Bound Brook, New Jersey, in 1920, to Mae Frances Titsworth, daughter of Rudolph and Maria (Hill) Titsworth.
EDWARD H. BRIDGE
Becoming connected, immediately after leaving school, with the Hopper-Morgan Company, of New York City, manufacturers of writing tablets and similar products, Mr. Bridge has continued in this business ever since then. When this concern moved its headquarters to Albany in 1906, he came with it and is now president of the firm,
the name of which was changed at the time of its removal to New York's capital to the Eastern Tablet Company. This company is one of the largest manufacturing concerns of its type in the country and its business has assumed international proportions. Much of its continued growth and prosperity is attributable to Mr. Bridge's unusually thorough knowledge of this business, his notable executive ability and his firm belief in the most up-to-date business methods. Its plant, at no. 1315 Broadway, Albany, is one of the largest and most important industrial establishments of this city, and Mr. Bridge is one of the leading figures in the mercantile, financial, social and religious life of the community, where he is held in great respect.
Edward H. Bridge was born at Hazardville, Hartford County, Connecticut, October 28, 18784, a son of Ebenezer and Martha Russell, the former a member of an old Connecticut family and to the time of his death in 1915, a prominent and successful merchant, the latter a member of a prominent Massachusetts family. Mr. Bridge was educated in public and private preparatory schools, and as a young man began his business career with the concern of which he is now and has been for the last twenty years an officer, now being the president. The firm manufacturers writing tablets for private correspondence and school use, occupies several buildings covering more than two acres and employs between four and five hundred people. It is one of the largest and oldest concerns in its line in the United States and its products are sold throughout the plant is equipped with the world. The plant is equipped with the latest and most efficient machinery and in every other way, too, is most modern and progressive in its methods. In order to take the best possible care of the health of its employees, a fully equipped hospital has been installed, in which a trained nurse is in constant attendance. Its own railroad sidings, with a capacity of ten cars, give it most advantageous shipping and receiving facilities. These various improvements are typical of the progressive policy of the concern which under Mr. Bridge's exceptionally able management has enjoyed continuous and ever-increasing prosperity. Mr. Bridge is a trustee of the Albany County Savings Bank and a member of the Albany Chamber of Commerce, of which latter he was formerly a director, Mr. Bridge's clubs include the Fort Orange, the Albany Country and the Schuyler Meadows clubs. In politics he is a supporter of the Republican Party and its principles, while he religious affiliations are with the Presbyterian Church, and more particularly with the First Presbyterian Church, of Albany.
Mr. Bridge married, in 1898, Jessie A. Gordon, of Connecticut. Mr. and Mrs. Bridge are the parents of six children: 1. Gordon, a graduate of Dartmouth, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in the class of 1924. 2. Helen. 3. Edward H., Jr. 4. Frederick. 5. Donald. 6. Douglas. The Bridge family home is located at No. 147 South Lake Avenue, Albany.
George A. WENTWORTH
One of the most vital forces in all business activity is banking, there being no element which has a greater effect in upholding the financial stability of a community than a carefully organized and conservatively conducted bank. Throughout his entire business career, George A. Wentworth has been identified with the particular line of advance and as cashier of the Cohocton State Bank since its inception and one of the organizers of this institution he has reached a field of broad influence and usefulness. Together with this important line of endeavor he is also a vital factor in various commercial enterprises, and is easily recognized as an excellent type of the enterprising and progressive business man who straightforward practices have carried him to a creditable position among Steuben County's business executives.
George C. Wentworth, father of George A. Wentworth, was born in Canaserago, Allegany County, New York, September 23, 1851, and spent his entire life in this community where eh was a potent factor in the affairs of the village, having served as village president, vice-president and director the Canaserago Bank, and up to a few years of his death, April 28, 1922, was a successful agriculturist and raiser of stock. He married, September 24,. 1871, Mary Mundy, a native of Canaserago, whose birth occurred in February, 1850. She died March 9, 1916. To them was born one son, George A., of whom further.
George A. Wentworth, son of George C. and Mary (Mundy) Wentworth, was born in Canaserago, Allegany County, New York, September 22, 1877. After completing his schooling in the local public schools and at Willy's business college, Hornell, New York, he secured a position as bookkeeper in the Canaserago Bank, where he remained for one year, subsequently becoming identified with the Bank of Belfast, fist as bookkeeper
for one year and then as assistant cashier for nine years, going then to Gainesville National Bank where he was assistant cashier for one year. On January 1, 1907, he removed to the Cohocton State Bank where, since its inception, he has served as cashier and a director. He is well versed in the details of modern finance and has helped in no small way to promote the success of his institution. Mr. Wentworth is also a director of the Wetmiller Farm and Dairy Products Company of Cohocton and is vitally interested in many other commercial projects.
In January, 1924, he purchased the L. M. Jones farm, which is located in the Cohocton Valley. It is one of the finest farms in New York State, comprises three hundred acres, and is conducted along thoroughly scientific lines. Although it is a general farm and uses the latest modern machinery for the cultivating of the crops, it is widely known for its breeding and raising of pedigreed stock in which Mr. Wentworth is highly successful. For the past few years he has made this place his summer residence, and during the winter months he devotes his time to travel in the warmer climes. His recreation is found in hunting in small game as well as big game in both the United States and Canada. He is a Republican in his political affiliations, although he has never taken an active part in the affairs of the organization. In religion he is a Presbyterian and attends the First Church of this denomination in Cohocton.
On November 24, 1902, at Rawson, Allegany County, New York, George A. Wentworth married Lottie Morgan Perry, a daughter of Egbert Franklin Perry, born April 18, 1844, and Jennie Brewster (Dunn) Perry, born March 4, 1854. Mr. and Mrs. Perry were married September 24, 1875, the former an agriculturist and former supervisor of his town. He died November 2, 1900. Mrs. Perry died June 9, 1927. Mrs. Wentworth received her education in Rushford and the Cuba High School, Teachers' Training Class. Upon completing her studies she taught school for six years in Allegany and Cattaraugus counties. She is a member of the Cohocton Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and has served as Regent.
Gifted with a keen business insight and a broad grasp of affairs, Mr. Wentworth has had a career of notable success. The elements were happily blended in the rounding out of a his nature, for he unites the refinements of life with the sterner qualities of manhood, and his labors have been manifestly resultant.
George ELLIS TAYLOR, M. D.
With his foremost place in the ranks of the medical profession of Steuben County, New York, his enviable war record and his interest and support toward every movement tending toward civic betterment, Dr. Taylor is numbered among the leading citizens of Hornell, and as such, has earned for himself a place in the esteem of the citizens of that community which might well be the envy of a much older man.
George Taylor, father of Dr. Taylor, was born at Arkport, New York, and for many years carried on a produce business there with marked success. Politically, he was a Democrat, a staunch supporter of his party, and served as postmaster of that community during the Wilson administration. He married Emma Ellis; both are deceased.
George Ellis Taylor, son of George and Emma (Ellis) Taylor, was born in Arkport, New York, march 12, 1890, and received his early education in the public schools of Arkport and the Hornell High school, graduating from the latter in 1908. He then entered the medical department of the University of Buffalo, where, after two years, he left and continued his course at the Bellevue Medical College of the University of New York, from which he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of medicine in 1914, subsequently serving an interneship of two years at Bellevue Hospital. He then, in January, 1916, established himself in private practice in Hornell.
Three months later, on April 20, 1916, Dr. Taylor was commissioned first lieutenant of Company K, 3rd New York Infantry, and on June 1, of that year was ordered with his regiment to the Mexican Border, being stationed at Pharr, Texas, until October, 1916, when he returned to private practice. On May 1, 1917, he was commissioned captain of his former company, and the following month was detailed to guard duty on the Delaware, Lackawanna & Hudson Railroad. Two months later, he was ordered to Pelham Bay, New York, and in September was transferred to Spartanburg, South Carolina, for intensive training. In October, 1917, when the 74th and the 3rd new York infantries were consolidated into the 108th Infantry, he was relieved and assigned to command Company K, the 55th Pioneer Company, where he remained until De-
cember 25, 1917, when he was made captain of the Medical Corps of the United States Regular Army and assigned to duty with the 102nd Sanitary Train at Spartanburg, where eh remained until March 17, 1918, when he was ordered to Camp Merritt, New York, and with several other officers, was sent overseas to report for duty at the United States Army Sanitary school in Langes, France. In May, 1918, Dr. Taylor was assigned to the 22nd Engineers of the 27th Division, American Expeditionary Forces, at Doullens, later serving as surgeon of the 3rd Battalion, 102nd engineers, in the Ypres sector, where they relieved the British Army, remaining there until July, 1918. His next assignment was to the 2nd East Lancashire Field Ambulance Corps (British Army), where he was stationed until
September 1, when he was again transferred to the 102nd Sanitary Train Company as transportation officer. On October 5, 1918, he was given command of the Ambulance Company Section of the 102nd Sanitary Train (the title being director of Ambulance companies and acting major), and later was ordered to Corbie, France, for embarkation, subsequently arriving in the Untied States, march 12, 1919, and receiving his honorable discharge from the service at Camp Upton on April 4, 1919, whereupon he returned to private practice in Hornell. With his wealth of practical knowledge gained while in service, his natural adaptability for his chosen profession and his ardent study in always keeping abreast of advancement made in the science of surgery and medicine, he has, in these eight years, won an ever-increasing clientele which consistently accords him its utmost confidence and highest esteem. Professionally, Dr. Taylor is affiliated with the American Medical Association; Public Health Association; New York State Medical Association, of which he is past president; Steuben County Medical Society; and the Hornell Medical and Surgical Society, of which he is past president. His fraternity is Nu Sigma Nu, Xi chapter, of Bellevue Hospital College. Fraternally, Dr. Taylor hold member in Hornell Lodge, No. 331, Free and Accepted Masons; the DeMolay Commandery, No. 22, Knights Templar; and he is a member of the Hornell Rotary Club.
On December 25, 1916, Dr. Taylor married Dorothy Brown, a daughter of Edwin S. and Gertrude (Babcock) Brown, the former for many years a prominent silk manufacturer of Hornell. Dr. and Mrs. Taylor are the parents of one child, George Edwin, born April 17, 1917.
Such, in brief, is the life of one whose past successes give promise of even greater future achievements. Dr. Taylor is an ardent lover of out-of-door life, and finds keen pleasure in hunting, fishing and trapshooting.
The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.