The History of New York State
Editor, Dr. James Sullivan
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
DAVID J. McHenry
A leading figure in commercial circles of Granville, where he conducts a successful furniture and undertaking business, and is prominent in this community, David J. McHenry is numbered among those citizens in Washington County who are doing much to promote the best interests of that section of the State and can always be counted upon to support every movement which tends toward its welfare and advancement.
His father, Daniel McHenry, was born in Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1845, and at the age of eighteen came to this country, locating in Middle Granville, where at first he was engaged as a quarryman and later as a farmer, carrying on in the latter line of endeavor ever since. He married Mary Baker, a native of County Clare, Ireland, born in 1847. Mrs. McHenry passed away in June, 1926.
David J. McHenry, son of Daniel and Mary (Baker) McHenry, was born at Middle Granville, July 29, 1877, and received his education in the pubic schools of his native place, after which he worked as a clerk in the Nunson House at Granville for one year. His next position was ina clerical capacity at the Central House, Granville, where he remained for two years. At the age of twenty-one years he entered into the furniture and undertaking business with O. S. Simonds and Owen W. Jones and they founded the Granville Furniture Company at No. 90 Main Street. Two years later, Mr. McHenry completed a course in embalming at the Renouard Embalming College, New York City, and since then he has devoted himself to that particular vocation. In 1902, Will E. Roberts bought out the interests of Messrs. Simonds and Jones, and he and Mr. McHenry have successfully carried on the Granville Furniture company since. The concern, the largest of its kind in this section, its clientele covering a radius of fifteen miles, is located at No. 92 Main Street, the former quarters of the organization having been burned in 1911, necessitating a move. Larger quarters were obtained, due to the rapid growth of the business. Mr. McHenry is vice-president of the Granville Building & Loan Association.
Early in his career he became interested in the affairs of the Democratic Party and soon was active therein. In 1911 he served as tally clerk of the State in the Assembly in Albany; was appointed postmaster of the town of Granville under President Wilson in 1915, and served in that capacity until February, 1924. In November, 1925, he was elected supervisor of the town, which is a strong Republican district, and was re-elected to that office, without opposition, in 1927, which proves conclusively his capabilities, the people realizing they had chosen the right man for the responsible office. Mr. McHenry is a member of the Knights of Columbus, of which he is Past Grand Knight of Granville, Council, No. 343; and is vice-president and a director of the Rotary Club of Granville. His religious affiliation is with St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church.
On October 7, 1903, at Rutland, Vermont, David J. McHenry married Genevieve E. Quilty, daughter of Benjamin and Hannah Augusta (Stone) Quilty, the former a merchant tailor of Rutland, Vermont. Mr. and Mrs. McHenry are the parents of three children: 1. D. Craig, born in June, 1908; graduated from Granville High School in 1926; studied music at Ithaca conservatory of Music, Ithaca, New York, where he specialized on the cornet; during the summer of 1927 played with Conway's Band at Wildwood, New Jersey. 2. John Walter, born in May, 1912, is a student at Granville High School, class of 1928. 3. Anita I., born in October, 1918. The family home is at Granville.
Active for many years in the business affairs of Jamestown, New York, Fletcher goodwill, banker and manufacturer, is widely known in this district as a man of affairs and as a citizen engaged in the promotion of the best civic interests of his community.
Mr. Goodwill was born at Randolph, New York, on December 28, 1868, son of John V. and Lovisa (Williams) Goodwill, and a descendant of an old family of New England. His grandfather on the paternal side, an attorney-at-law, came from Massachusetts and resided for a considerable period in Batavia, New York, and Rockford, Illinois. His son, Johnson V. Goodwill, also a lawyer, practiced in Randolph, New York. Fletcher Goodwill received his early education at Chamberlin Institute, Randolph, and later studied law in Buffalo. At an early age he engaged in manufacturing business in Jamestown, New York, where he organized the Chautauqua Worsted Mills, which company he has served as president, from the beginning. Mr. Goodwill was one of the founders of the Salisbury Axle Company, in Jamestown, serving as treasurer, until the business was sold. He was an organizer and for a number of years president of the Greenville Steel Car Company, of Greenville, Pennsylvania. He is a director of the David Furniture Corporation, the Jamestown Street Railway Company, the J. W. and N. W. Railway Company, the Jamestown Motor Bus Company, and the Jamestown Worsted Mills. At present and for some years past his principal activity is in connection with the National Chautauqua County Bank, of which institution he is the president. In addition to the above, Mr. Goodwill is active in all civic affairs of Jamestown.
In 1907, Mr. goodwill married Alberta Gallatin Dow, of Jamestown, New York, only daughter of the late Hon. and Mrs. Charles M. Dow, and they have two daughters: Eleanor D., and Charlotte. The Goodwill residence is at No. 72 Allen Street, Jamestown, New York.
The present firm of Henderson and Lincoln Undertaking company, Incorporated, was formed in 1911 buy Charles P. Henderson and David Lincoln as an organization to succeed what has been known as Henderson and Lincoln. This business was founded originally by the present owners in January, 1898 since which time they have built up one of he finest and most serviceable enterprises of its kind in Jamestown; and in 1912, the year following the incorporation of the establishment in its present form, they opened their funeral house. Here they have a vast and complete equipment to take care of their patrons' needs--a chapel with a capacity of one hundred person, rest rooms, show rooms, and a garage in which they keep three modern hearses, an ambulance and other necessaries of an up-to-date undertaking business. Both of the owners of this enterprise are graduates of embalming schools, and they employ a corps of assistants who are thoroughly skilled in their work. With their entire establishment compactly arranged, practically under one roof, they are in a position to render service of a most distinguished character.
The secretary and treasurer of this company, David Lincoln, was born in Lindsburg, Kan-
sas, on March 10, 1874, son of Andrew and Anna (Johnson) Lincoln. He was educated in the local schools of that town, and then went to Bethany College. Afterward he became engaged in the livery business, and in 1896 came to Jamestown. Two yeas later, in 1898, he tool up his present work as an undertaker. A graduate of the Barnes School of embalming, of Chicago, Illinois, he served, early in the course of his work at Jamestown, as coroner of Chautauqua County, New York, a position in which the quality and value of his work were great.
In addition to his secretaryship and treasurership of the Henderson and Lincoln Undertaking Company, Incorporated, Mr. Lincoln is vice-president of the Jamestown Metal Equipment Company. He was one of the organizers of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, while his religious faith is hat of the Lutherans. He is a member of the First Lutheran Church, and for years has served as a trustee of that parish.
On May 26, 1905, Mr. Lincoln married Wilhelmina Lindquist, of St. Paul, Minnesota. By this marriage there has been one child, Daniel Fremont, who at the time of writing (1928) is a student at Colgate University, where he is a member of the freshman class. Formerly he studied at Manlius Military School, at which he was an honor student. At the present time he is preparing for his studies at the Yale Law School. The Lincoln family residence is situated at Driftwood, on Chautauqua Lake, New York.
WILLIAM W. BABCOCK
Of the man who has become an outstanding figure in his county through his carious successful endeavors which can be attributed solely to his own efforts, much can be said in the way of praise. Such a type is William W. Babcock, who, besides being president of the W. W. Babcock Company of Bath, which ha made him a leader in industrial advance in this section of New York State, also had taken an active part in civic affairs in Bath and has given generously of his time and his money to the welfare and advancement of this community.
The Babcock family of which William W. Babcock is a descendant is among the oldest in Steuben County. The paternal grandfather of Mr. Babcock was George C. Babcock, born in Mendon, Ontario County, and he has a son, Seymour Babcock, father of the subject of this review, who served with the 136th Infantry in the Civil War; was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic; was a close friend of colonel Faulkner; and married Joanna Coleman.
William W. Babcock, son of Seymour and Joanna (Coleman) Babcock, was born in Danesville, Steuben County, New York, October 16, 1868, and received his education in the grammar school of his native place and at the Canaseraga High School. Following his school days he learned the painter's trade at Addison, New York, and established himself in business here in this particular line of advance for fifteen years. He then moved to Campbell, New York and bought out the interest of Mr. Clausen of the firm of Clausen & Hamilton, general store, the name being changed to Hamilton and Babcock. After three years, the latter sold out and served as under-sheriff of Steuben County for the succeeding three years. In 1904, at Bath, Mr. Babcock organized the W. W. Babcock Company, buying out the Jackson Churn factory, reorganizing the business, and starting in to manufacture ladders. At its inception it was a small concern, employing but four men, while today (1928) the plant covers twenty-five acres of ground, employs seventy-five people, has six representatives covering the entire United States and Canada, with numerous agencies besides. The product, Babcock spruce ladders, are used all over the United States and Canada and exported from New York City to all parts of the world. The reputation of this concern has been brought to the highest standard by Mr. Babcock's careful and able management in producing nothing but the highest grade of ladders. The W. W. Babcock Company has built houses for its employees, most of whom own their own homes, having been able to purchase on small payment plan; and the company maintains it sown fire department, its members aiding the village department whenever necessary. Mr. Babcock is also president of the Courier Printing company; vice-president of the Farmers & Merchants Investment Company; and a director of the Farmers & Merchants Trust Company, all of Bath.
A staunch supporter of the Republican Party, Mr. Babcock for many years has been an active and forceful factor in the party; being a member of the county committee for several years; was a member of the Bath Board of Aldermen for seven years, during which time he instituted many public improvements and was instrumental in the paving of the streets of the town; and was a delegate to the National Pro-
gressive convention which was held in Chicago, in 1916. At that time the late President Roosevelt founded the Progressive Party, and Mr. Babcock, being a staunch supporter of his, organized the Progressive of Steuben County. Through this important step he became a personal friend of Roosevelt's. Mr. Babcock is a member of the Christian Science faith, giving credit for his many successes in life to the inspiration of that faith. He is affiliated with Steuben Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Bath; is a member of the Salubria Country Club of Bath, charter member of the Old Colony Club and a member of the National Republican Club of New York City. An advocate of out-of-door sports, and especially baseball, for many ears he owned a baseball nine in Bath and contributed liberally to the maintenance of its players. Another public benefit was his building of a theater in Bath, costing sixty thousand dollars, and with a seating capacity of seven hundred. His hobby is the raising of Rose-Comb Leghorns, and at the last poultry show in New York City his birds won first, second, and third prize in their particular class. Mr. Babcock has one son, Millard, who is connected with the Babcock Company. The family home is in Bath. Such, in brief, is the life history of William W. Babcock who is numbered among Steuben County's leading citizens, for besides his support of public progress and improvement, we find him active in the betterment of business conditions and for the general welfare of the community.
RAYMOND A. FREEBURG
A prominent architect at Jamestown, New York, Raymond A. Freeburg, is widely known for his work throughout all Western New York and Northwestern Pennsylvania. The excellence of his design has won him many important contracts, particularly for churches and school buildings, although he has also done much work of a more general nature with notable success. Few men at his age have achieved so notable a career in the field of their chosen occupation.
Mr. Freeburg was born in Jamestown, on December 29, 1893, a son of John a. and Anna Sophia (Swanson) Freeburg, both of whom were born in Sweden and came to the United States will still young, the father being a cabinetmaker by trade.
Raymond A. Freeburg attended the public schools of his birth place an later undertook the course of study at the Carnegie Institute of Technology, from which he was graduated in 1917 wit the degree of Bachelor of Arts. During the period of United States participa-
tion in the World War, Mr. Freeburg entered the service, being mustered out after some months of activity in December, 1918. In January, 1919, he entered business at Jamestown, and since that time has given his attention to architectural work to which he was early attracted. He soon built up a wide following in this section as the result of the successful completion of several important contracts, and throughout a period of years the demands for his services have constantly increased. Among other notable buildings, Mr. Freeburg was architect for the Bethlehem Lutherans Church at Falconer, new York, the Youngsville High School, at Youngsville, Pennsylvania, the Bethel Lutheran Church, at Jamestown, New York, the Messiah Lutheran Church at Ashtabula, Ohio, the Fairmont Avenue School at Jamestown, the high school, at Sardinia, New York, the Lutheran Headquarters Building at the Chautauqua Grounds, the high school at Angelica, New York, the Seneca Avenue School at Warren, Pennsylvania, the high school at Panama, New York, the high school at Rome, Pennsylvania, the high school at Celoren, New York, the Jamestown Printing Concern Building, at Jamestown, the Merz building in this city, and many others of equal importance in Pennsylvania and New York. Mr. Freeburg is a licensed architect in both of these States.
Politically a member of the Republican Party, Mr. Freeburg is affiliated fraternally with Mr. Moriah Lodge, No. 145, of the Free and Accepted Masons, while with his family he worships as a member of the Holy Trinity Lutheran church, at Jamestown, taking an active part in all church work. He has also contributed liberally to many agencies of civic advancement and to various worthy charitable enterprises, and is considered throughout the community a progressive, public-spirited citizen of the finest type.
On November 3, 1918, Raymond A. Freeburg married Esther A. M. Anderson of Jamestown, formerly of Bradford, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Andres P. and Mathilda C. Anderson, the father before his death being a well-known oil producer in the oil region surrounding Rew City, Pennsylvania, and owner of the rich oil field known as "The Kirk." Mr. and Mrs. Freeburg are the parents of one child, Patricia Andrea. The family residence at Jamestown is situated at No. 95 East Virginia boulevard, while Mr. Freeburg's offices are at Nos. 601-602 Hotel, Jamestown.
Henry A. MOORE, D. D. S.
Through years in study, practical experience and devotion to his particular line of advance, Dr. Henry A. Moore, a pioneer in the dental profession of Elmira, New York, has attained marked success and a wide reputation for skill far beyond the confines of his immediate community.
Paul Moore, grandfather of Dr. Moore, was one of the pioneers of Schuyler County, New York, and lived to the remarkable age of ninety-five. He had a son Asa. who followed the occupation of farming throughout his lifetime; was a Republican in his political choice and a member of the Methodist faith. He married Harriet Mathews, daughter of Alanson Mathews, also of Schuyler County, and to those were born four children, the youngest of whom was Henry A., of whom further.
Henry A. Moore, son of Asa and Harriet (Mathews) Moore, was born in Schuyler County, New York, April 18, 1864, and received his early education in the district schools of his native place, after which he attended Ohio Normal College, at Ada. For the two years following he filled a position as clerk in a drygoods store at Watkins, New York, subsequently being employed in the dental office of Dr. Firnam, for a year and then matriculated at Philadelphia Dental college, from which he was graduated with the class of 1890. That year he came to Elmira where at the time where but seven other dentists, and here he established himself in the practice of his chosen profession. Success soon attended his efforts and his clientele has now reached vast proportions as a result of his skill and devotion to his work. Progression having always been his watchword, his offices are equipped with all the latest mechanical devices, among them being an X-ray machine, and appliances for the uses of nitrous-oxide and oxygen, with a trained nurse in attendance. Professionally, he holds membership in the American, the New York State and the Elmira Dental societies; fraternally, he is a member of the Masons, belonging to the Blue Lodge, Chapter, St. Omer's Commandery, the Shrine, the Grotto; the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; and is also a member of the Elmira Rotary, Century, City, Country, Masonic, Keuka and Cold Brook clubs. Politically Dr. Moore adheres to the Republican Party.
On July 2, 1903, Dr. Henry A. Moore married Edith Firnam, her father a well-known dentist of Elmira and the one with whom Dr. Moore studied for a year before entering dental college. Dr. Moore is a patriotic American, a
man of progressive ideas, representing his profession in the development of its most advanced interests, and his personal qualities are such as always inspire respect, confidence and esteem.
HARRY MORTON EATON
Supervising principal of the schools of Westfield, New York, has through his influence upon the schools in his jurisdiction established beneficial results, reacting in like manner upon the school system of Chautauqua County. Mr. Eaton is a member of the organized bodies of the teaching profession, local, State and national, and is also an active citizen in the town of Westfield.
Born in Wolcott, Vermont, October 24, 1888, Harry Morton Easton is he son of Oscar and Lucinda Eaton. He attended public schools in his native State and in New York, and prepared for college at Starkey Seminary, Lakemont, New York. He was graduated from Syracuse University, class of 1913, with the degree of Bachelor of Science, having also been elected to Phi Beta Kappa in honor of his high school records, and was made a member of Alpha Chi Sigma, and Sigma Dela Epsilon fraternities. Prior to taking his degree he taught school for three years, and then without delay resumed teaching as principal of the Schaghticoke Schools, where he was stationed for five years. for the ensuing five years he was principal of Alfred (New York) public schools and for the following four and one-half years held the position of principal of the Salamanca (New York) High School.
In 1927, the town of Westfield was fortunate in receiving the acceptance by Mr. Eaton of the call to be supervising principal of the schools there. He is a member of the Associated Academic Principals of new York State, the New York State Teachers Association, the Department of Superintendence of the National Education Association, the Syracuse University Teachers Alumni Association and the Chautauqua (New York) County Teachers Association. His deep interest in the civic affairs of the community brings him into practical touch with the advance movements championed by forward-looking people of town and county.
He has his fraternal relations with University Lodge, No. 944, Free and accepted Masons; Steuben Chapter, No. 101, Royal Arch Masons, and is a member of the Westfield Club and the Lakemont Christian Church.
Harry M. Eaton married, June 28, 1911, Rayonelle G. Kendig, of Covington, Ohio, and they have a son, Harry Kendig Eaton.
DANIEL BURR CUSHMAN
One of the talented members of the New York State Bar who was widely known in Chenango County for nearly half a century was the late Daniel Burr Cushman, of Norwich, New York, whose passing in February, 1927, terminated a career of professional success, of civic service, and of political activity. Mr. Cushman was a graduate of Yale College and of Columbia Law School, and was for many years a member of the Democratic County Committee, known as a loyal worker and an effective campaign speaker. In his profession he was well known as an eloquent pleader injury cases, as well as for his thorough legal knowledge.
Danford E. Cushman, father of Mr. Cushman, was a native of Connecticut. He came to Chenango County, New York, as a young man, making the journey on foot, and took up timber land here. Later, he returned to Connecticut for his bride, whom he brought to his new home in the wilderness, still inhabited by Indians, in an ox-cart. He was a direct descendant of Robert Cushman, known to history as the man who chartered the famous "Mayflower" for the use of his friends who were about to sail for the New World, but who did not accompany them on this first trip of the "Mayflower," remaining in England until the next year, 1621, when he came to Cape Cod on the good ship "Fortune." Robert Cushman 's son Thomas, who was for forty-three years ruling elder of Plymouth Church, married Mary Allerton, last survivor of the "Mayflower" passengers, whose death occurred in Plymouth, in 1699. Daniel Burr Cushman was of the eighth generation from Robert Cushman, and through marriage, a relative of Betsy Ross, maker of the first American flag. Danford R. Cushman married Ruth Potter, a native of Stafford's Springs, Connecticut, whom he brought to Chenango County, New York, in an ox-cart, as related above, and both were highly respected in Chenango County.
Daniel Burr Cushman, son of Danford R., and Ruth (Potter) Cushman, was born in Plymouth, New York, December 18, 1852, and died February 23, 1927. He received his early education in the local schools and prepared for college in Norwich Academy. Yale was the college of his choice, and there he finished
his course in 1876, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts. His professional preparation was made in the Law School of Columbia University, and there he received his Bachelor of Laws degree in 1878. For two years after graduation he practiced in the office of George W. Marvin, of Norwich, New York, but in 1880 he opened his own office here in Norwich, and from that time to the time of his death, a period of forty-seven years, he was actively engaged in general practice here. He was a close student, never ceasing in his lifelong habits of careful study; and always continuing to grow both in knowledge and in the breadth of his interests. At the Chenango County bar he became widely known for his deep, wide, and thorough knowledge of the law, and for the comprehensive study which he gave to every case committed to his care. Loyal to his client and his cause, his sense of justice was every vigilant in his choosing of causes, and for many years he was known as a most eloquent and effective pleader in jury cases. Among his colleagues in the professional he was respected even more for his sturdy uprightness and for his fearlessness in the cause of justice than for his profound knowledge. In a strongly Republican community, he was held in such high esteem that he was frequently nominated for office on the Democratic ticket, such being the general sentiment in regard to his integrity and his public spirit that his associates considered him the best man they could name. He was for many years a member of the Democratic County Committee and famed as a campaign orator. For seven years he was a member of the Board of Supervisors, and for a period of twenty-six years he served faithfully as a member of the Board of Education. As a business man, his legal knowledge, was of value in various organizations. He was a member of the board of directors of the Chenango County National Bank and Trust company, and trustee of the Binghamton State Hospital during Governor Flower's administration, and in both of these connections his legal knowledge and his sound judgment were vital factors in the achievement of success. At the time of his death he was the owner of eighteen hundred acres of land in Chenango County, most of which he rented on shares for dairying purposes. He also retained the old homestead at Plymouth. He was a member of the Chenango County Bar Association and, fraternally, was identified with Norwich Lodge, No. 302, Free and Accepted Masons, also with the Norwich Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows; and with the Yale chapter of Psi Upsilon College Fraternity, together with the class fraternities of Delta Kappa and Delta Beta Xi, the latter being now amalgamated with the present fraternity of Alpha Sigma Phi. He was also a member of the Norwich Club, and his religious membership was with the Broad Street Methodist Episcopal Church, where he was active in the Bible Class.
The esteem in which Mr. Cushman was held by his associates in which Mr. Cushman by the following excerpt from the resolutions drawn by this Chenango County Bar Association after his death:
He was a profound student, a scholarly, dignified man, and successful in his professional, commercial, and social life. In politics he was a Jeffersonian Democrat, upholding the loftiest standards and ideal of his party; as a lawyer he was loyal to his client and cause; as an orator he was polished and learned; as a citizen he was true to the principles of his forefathers; and as a neighbor he was generous and kind. Much of his time was devoted to the development of agriculture and the welfare of the farmer and the cause of education. He was a profound student of the Bible and a true Christian gentleman.
Resolutions drawn by the directors of the Chenango County National Bank and Trust Company contained the following tribute:
He has been constant in his attendance at meetings of the board of directors, most friendly and courteous in all his relations with his fellow directors, and ever ready to do anything in his power to promote the interest of the bank. His pleasant manner and wise counsel will be sorely missed.
Daniel Burr Cushman was married, in 1891, to Sarah Van Cleft, daughter of Rev. and Mrs. Asa J. Van Cleft. Rev. Asa J. Van Cleft, Ph.D., was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was once pastor of the Norwich Methodist Church. Later he was presiding elder of the Oneonta District, and served pastorates in Scranton, Pennsylvania; in Binghamton, New York; and in many other places, serving through a period of fifty years. he was a member of the Wyoming Conference, and died in 1912, at the age of seventy-four years. His wife was Elizabeth (Wood) Van Cleft.
Daniel Burr And Sarah (Van Cleft) Cushman became the parents of three children; `1. Ruth E., who is a graduate of the Smith College, and became a member of the Norwich High School faculty. 2. Jesse D., of Syracuse, New York, who is a graduate of the
Sheffield Scientific School, of Yale University, where he received the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy in 1917, having transferred to Yale University from the University of Pennsylvania, and is engaged as a mechanical engineer. 3. Edward Van Cleft Cushman, graduated from Cornell University with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, in 1922, and became supervisor of schools in Sherburne, New York. During the World War he served in uniform in the Students' Training Camp, at Cornell University, and his name is inscribed in the Norwich record in Public Square, Norwich, as one who served. Mrs. Cushman, together with her three children, survives her husband, and makes her home at No. 16 Cortland Street, in Norwich, New York.
The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.