The History of New York State
Editor, Dr. James Sullivan
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
JUDGE HARRISON S. MOORE
A life of service to his fellow-men drew to a close with the death of Judge Harrison S. Moore, of flushing, Long Island. His passing was mourned by a host of friends, who knew him as a brilliant lawyer, a loyal citizen and a true and steadfast comrade. As a teacher, a judge and an attorney, he acquired and retained the respect and esteem of all with whom he came in contact, and the news of his sudden death brought forth expressions of sincere sympathy from the leading professional organizations of his community.
Judge Moore was born in Waterford, Saratoga County, April 23, 1849, open of the five children of Lewis K. and Lucinda J. (Bassett) Moore, both natives of Rensselaer County. The Moore family was of old Puritan stock, his grandfather, Josiah Moore, being the son of a soldier of the Revolutionary War. Josiah Moore married Alvia Steadman, a native of Braintree, Massachusetts, and he located in Rensselaer County soon after his marriage, passing the remainder of his days there. Two of his brothers took an active part in the War of 1812 and the entire Moore family was more or less engaged in the stirring actions of that period. His son, Lewis K. Moore, the father of Harrison S. Moore of this record, was married in Rensselaer County, subsequently moving to Orleans County, where he farmed until 1857. He then went out to Waukesha, Wisconsin, where he was engaged in wheat farming until the outbreak of the Civil War. He was a strong abolitionist, and in 1862 he enlisted as a private in Company G, of the 28th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He soon gained the rank of orderly sergeant, and as such served until the conclusion of hostilities. A few months before the close of the war his wife and children removed from Wisconsin to the homes of their relatives in Rensselaer County, where he joined them when peace was declared. He died within thirty days after leaving the army, and was buried in Stillwater County.
The early education of Harrison S. Moore was acquired in public schools of Prospect Hill, Wisconsin, until, in 1864, the family returned to New York State, where he entered the Half Moon Academy, of Middletown, Saratoga County, from which he graduated in 1867. In 1872 he entered the Albany Normal School, graduating in 1874, after which he taught for three years in the schools of Little Neck, Long Island, at the time studying law. In May, 1877, he was admitted to the bar at Poughkeepsie, and from that time he divided his time until 1880, when he opened his office in Little neck and devoted himself entirely to the practice of his chosen profession. In 1882 he located in flushing and quickly gathered around him a clientele which was extensive and remunerative. In 1896 he received his appointment as Judge of the County of Queens from Governor Morton, and in the following year was elected to serve the full term of six years, from 1887 to 1903. Governor Morton also appointed him to serve on the Greater New York Commission, the body which planned the consolidation to the boroughs into the municipality. After serving his term on the bench, Judge Moore returned to the practice of law, and was also very active in local politics, serving as chairman on many of the district committees of the Republican party. He was a prominent factor in the affairs of the Flushing Hospital, and served as president of the board of trustees from 1903 to 1909. Mrs. Moore also was deeply interested in the work of the hospital, and in 1910 she organized the Women's Auxiliary of the Flushing Hospital, of which body she has ever since been a leading member.
On January 23, 1885, Judge Moore married Maria Van Nostrand, daughter of Albert Van Nostrand, the latter a descendant of one of the oldest Dutch families of Long Island. Judge and Mrs. Moore were the parents of two children, as follows: 1. Lewis Bassett, born in 1886, died in 1920. 2. Elmer William, born in 1892, died in 1923.
Judge Moore passed away on February 24, 1928, as a result of a sudden heart seizure. The news of his death came as a great shock to his large circle of friends throughout Greater New York, and resolutions of sympathy and condolence were passed by the leading organizations of the community, including the board of directors of the Flushing United Association, of which he had been a member and one of its most active workers since 1918. Services were held in the Dutch Reformed Church of Flushing, of which he had been an elder and an active worker for over thirty-four years. Interment was at Flushing Cemetery, and the services were attended by representatives of the leading professional and commercial circles of Greater New York.
ROBERT H. JACKSON
A barrister of Western New York State, well known as a trial lawyer, as counsel to a large number of industrial and utility corporations and as a vigorous writer, Robert H. Jackson has made a career in the profession of law.
Robert H. Jackson was born in Spring Creek, Pennsylvania, the son of William E. and Angelina (Houghwont) Jackson. He graduated from Jamestown High School and Albany Law School and was admitted to the bar in 1913. He has pursued private practice in Jamestown except in 1918, when he was trial counsel for the International Railway Company of Buffalo, and has been identified with important litigations in Western New York. Aside from corporation counsel of the city of Jamestown he has never held nor south political positions, although he has been influential in party counsels as an Independent Democrat. He is director or counsel of the Bank of Jamestown, Jamestown Telephone Corporation, National Chautauqua County Bank, Pennsylvania Gas Company, Warren & Jamestown Street Railway company, Jamestown, Westfield & Northwestern Railway company, a and a number of industrial corporation.
In 1928 Mr. Jackson was elected president of Federation of Bar Association of Western New York, which is a federated origination comprising twenty-two associations of Western New York. He is a member of the executive committee of the New York State Bar Association, has served as president of the Jamestown Bar Association, and is also a member of the Erie County Bar (Buffalo), and the American Bar Association. He is an active horseman and served as president of the Jamestown Saddle Club. He is a member of the Prendergast, Sportsmen, Buffalo Athletic and other club organizations. Mr. Jackson is well known as a public speaker and has been a frequent contributor to legal and other publications.
Robert H. Jackson married, April 24, 1916, at Albany, Irene Gerhardt. Their children are; 1. William Eldred, and 2. Mary Margaret. The family resides in the town of Ellicott, Lakewood road. Mr. Jackson's offices are in the Hotel Jamestown building, where he heads the law firm of Jackson, Herrick, Durkin & Leet.
ALFRED B. LEIBOLD
Among the substantial citizens of Lockport none holds a more elevated position than Alfred B. Leibold, member of the firm of Doty, Stockwell & Leibold, general practitioners, and one of the leading law firms of the State. His ancestry is recorded in Niagara County and vicinity for several generations, all of his forebears having been men and women of high character and of extreme usefulness to the communities in which they labored toward the general progress. Except for a sincere devotion to the causes that act with a view to improving condition for all of the people, Mr. Leibold takes little personal interest in political questions, although he has held public office at the call of his fellow-citizens, having served as justice of the peace for ten years. His reputation as an exponent of the law is of the highest, while his personal character is unblemished, his religious sound and his fraternal and social affiliations of the highest rank. He brought to the law a studious mind and a keen intellect and is esteemed by the community as an able and conscientious member of his erudite profession and a citizen of great value.
Born in Lockport, New York, March 27, 1879, he is a son of Nicholas E. and Elizabeth J. (Bullock) Leibold, both members of old and respected families whose ancestors were among the early settlers of this section of the State. He acquired his education in Lockport, and was graduated from the high school, whereupon he began the study of law, for that purpose becoming associated with the practicing firm of Brong & Jeffery. In 1905 he was admitted to the bar and on March, of that year became a member of the firm of Duquette, Stockwell & Leibold. Upon the retirement of Mr. Duquette, the firm was enlarged by the admittance of Mr. Brong and Mr. Doty, which was again altered by the death of Mr. Brong, when the firm became as at present. Mr. Leibold is a member of the State and County Bar associations and is very high in Masonry, holding the honorable thirty-third degree of that organization, to which he was elected at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in September, 1925. He is a member of Lockport Lodge, No. 73, Free and Accepted Masons; Buffalo consistory, Ancient Accepted Scottish rite Masons; served as Master of his lodge in 1915 and as District Deputy in 1920-21 and 22, and was one of the organizers of John Hodge Lodge, of Perfection, and thrice Potentate, 1922-23-24. Since 1915 he has been secretary of his Blue Lodge, and has passed through al the chairs of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He was one of the organizers of the Lockport Kiwanis Club, is a member of the Chamber of Com-
merce, an elder of the Presbyterian Church and a trustee of the Niagara Presbytery. He also was president of the Water board for several years, and during the World War served as chief clerk of the local board.
Alfred B. Leibold married in 1914, Mabel Waters, of Lockport. They reside at No. 494 Walnut Street, Lockport.
CHARLES A. CURTIN
A resident of the Borough of Manhattan, City of New York, was educated in the public schools and new York University Law School, from which he graduated in 1897 with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. Admitted to the bar in 1900, he has been engaged in general practice of the law, serving as special deputy attorney at various times.
In 1923 he was appointed chief counsel to the State Tax Commission and the Inheritance Tax Bureau, Metropolitan district. He holds membership in many clubs and societies.
HOWARD E. BROWN. A man whose broad and varied educational experience fits him well for the position which he now holds, that of superintendent of schools at Medina, New York, Howard E. Brown has dome much for the advancement for the cause of education in this State, having served in many different towns and communities. There is scarcely any phase of the public life of his city or State in which Mr. Brown is not keenly interested, and so it is that he is fitted to prepare students, not only for college and institutions of higher learning, but also for life and for valuable citizenship.
He was born in Chesterton, New York, March 1, 1880, son of Wilson and Caroline (Wood) Brown. He received his own early schooling in the district schools of his native community, and then studied at the Warrensburg High School, from which he was graduated in the class of 1905. From there he went to Syracuse University, where he took the customary academic course and from which he was graduated in the class of 1910 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He went thereupon to Columbia University, New York, where he took post-graduate work and received, in 1923, his Master of Arts degree. He began his work in the teaching profession in 1897, taking a position then in the district schools, which he retained for three and one-half years. That was in Warren County, New York. Then, for five and one-half years in the graded schools of Warrensburg, New York, and then in the high school in that municipality, he did further work in the instruction of the youth; and, at the end of that period, he became principal of the Union Schools at New York Mills for three years, after which he served for three years as principal of the grammar school. Then for six years, he was supervising principal of the Kemble School at Utica, New York, until, in the fall of 1918, he came to accept his present position as superintendent of the schools of Medina. ere his work has been of utmost value to his town and community, and in education.
Here his work has been of utmost value in his town and community, and in educational circles throughout the State his accomplishments are recognized by outstanding leaders.
In addition to his superintendency of the schools of Medina, he is more than ordinarily active in the affairs of the town. he is a member also of different educational organizations which participate to a large extent in the activities of the schools of New York State; he belongs to the New York State Teachers' Association, the Associated Academic Principals of New York State, the New York State Superintendents' Council and the National Education Association. He is, in the national body of teacher, connected with the special department of superintendents, which has to do with school administration and government. Also active in civic affairs, Mr. Brown is a member of the Rotary Club of Medina and of the local parish of the Presbyterian Church. It may be seen from his many affiliations, that he is a leader in public affairs, as a teacher should be, and has done everything in his power to keep in touch with his professional colleagues through memberships in different organizations and to exchange knowledge with them.
Mr. Brown married, on April 18, 1899, Ada Baker, of Warrensburg, New York; and the family home since 1918, the year in which he came to Medina to head the local school system, has been at No. 517 Ohio Street.
H. WOLCOTT INGHAM, M. D.
He has been known in Jamestown all his life; his friends are many and to these he is constantly adding through the progress he is making in his profession, as well as through a natural fellowship. He also takes a sincere interest in civic affairs and in the general progress of the community, a citizen of commendable quality and a fine addition to the professional ranks of this dis-
trict. He was born in Jamestown, New York, December 31, 1899, a son of James and Gertrude (Wheeler) Ingham. His father is a native of England, while his mother is a native of Meadville, Pennsylvania, a member of one of the oldest and most respected pioneer families of that section. She is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and of the Colonial Dames.
Their son, H. Wolcott Ingham, acquired his education in the public schools, graduating from high school in 1918 and then entering the Medical College of Syracuse University, from which he was graduated with the degrees of Bachelor of Science and Doctor of Medicine. In 1924 he became an interne in the University Hospital at Ann Arbor, Michigan. He also took a year of like experience in the General Hospital in Buffalo, New York. He then established himself in practice in Jamestown and operated independently until April, 1928, when he formed a professional alliance with Dr. G. W., Cottis, with whim he has offices at Fourth and Pine Streets, Jamestown. He specializes in surgery. He is a member of the staff of both hospitals in the city and belongs to the American Medical Association and to the New York State and Chautauqua County Medical Societies. He is also a Fellow of the American Medical Association and of the Buffalo Academy of Medicine. His fraternal affiliation is with the order of Free and Accepted Masons, lodge No. 145, of Jamestown, and he is a member of the Moon Brook Club, and also a Rotarian. In 1918 he enlisted in the 188th New York Infantry and became a sergeant before being mustered out at the conclusion of hostilities. In Jamestown he attends the Episcopal Church.
H. Wolcott Ingham married in September, 1922, Edna G. Williams, of Ridgway, Pennsylvania, a graduate of the University of Syracuse, Bachelor of Arts of the class of 1921. They are the parents of one child, John, and reside at No. 134 Arlington Avenue, Jamestown.
GLENN W. WOODIN.
A member of the Chautauqua County Bar for almost two decades, Mr. Woodin has not only become widely known as a very able lawyer, but also has made for himself an enviable record as a public official, having served as mayor of Dunkirk and being now district attorney of Chautauqua County. As the result of his active and prominent participation in politics, he has frequently been called by his party, the Republican, to address voters in his own community and elsewhere, and through that work has gained the reputation of being a powerful and effective speaker. During the World War his patriotism found expression in helpful work in connection with the various patriotic drives of that period and in several other ways. Prominent in Masonic and religious circles, he is one of the most popular and most widely known citizens of Dunkirk.
Glenn w. Woodin was born in Virgil, Cortland County, November 12, 1881, a son of Isaac and Mary A. (Raymond) Woodin. He was educated in the public schools and at the Cortland State Normal School, from which he graduated in 1901. He then attended Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, graduating there with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1905, after which he took up the study of law, first at the Cincinnati Law School and later at the Chicago Law School. During part of this period, 1907-1909, he taught at the Fredonia State Normal School. Admitted to the bar in 1909, he established himself in Dunkirk, Chautauqua County, in the practice of law, in which he continued since then and in which he has achieved a notable success. He is well known as an able corporation lawyer and is counsel for a number of important financial and industrial enterprises, including the Dunkirk Trust Company and the Atlas Steel Corporation, of which he is also a director, as well as the New York Telephone Company, the Skelton Shovel Corporation, the Warder Box Corporation and the Niagara Motors Corporation. In politics he is a supporter of the Republican party, in the councils of which he stands very high. During 1922-23 he served as Mayor of Dunkirk, giving this city an excellent administration. Elected District Attorney of Chautauqua County, in November, 1922, he has served since then in this office with great ability and conscientiousness. He has taken an active part in all of the State and National campaigns during the past twenty years and is always in great demand as a speaker. During the World War he was chairman of the "four-minute" men of Chautauqua County and a member of the County Committee of the Food Administration. He is a member of the Northern Chautauqua County, New York State and American Bar Associations, as well as of Phi Beta Kappa and Kappa Sigma fraternities. He is also a member of several Masonic bodies, including Dunkirk
Lodge, Free and Accepted Mason, and Jamestown Consistory, thirty-second degree, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite. Of the Dunkirk Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, to which he has belonged for many years, he is a Past Exalted Ruler. His religious affiliations are with the Unitarian Church.
Mr. Woodin married, December 28, 1911, Elizabeth G. Graves, of Perrysburg, Cattaraugus County. Mr. and Mrs. Woodin are the parents of four children: 1. William G.. 2. Byron R. 3. Cynthia A. 4. Jane A. Woodin. The family resident is located at No. 529 Roosevelt Avenue, Dunkirk, while Mr. Woodin's offices are at No. 409 Central Avenue.
JOHN WILLIAM HILL
Born in Palisades, Rockland County, July 29, 1883, John William Hill early in life developed a wonderful mechanical ability, which has brought him to his present ownership of the leading garage and machine shop on the main highway which comes through Sparkill to New York City.
Mr. Hill was the son of John William and Mary (McCann) Hill, and the former the son of John James and Rachel (Hagen) Hill, descendants of the early settlers of Orange County, which part is now called Rockland. Following his early education in the public schools of Rockland County and of New York City, Mr. Hill went into a machine shop, where he learned the trade of tool-making. It was in 1898 that he started to learn his trade with F. F. Welsh, in New York City, on West Street, and in 1903 he was a finished workman, with a thorough knowledge of tools and tool-making. In 1903 he went with the Western Electric Company as toolmaker, and later on was made assistant chief process inspector, remaining with that corporation for five years. In 1908 Mr. Hill started a garage in Nyack, which was the first establishment of its kind to be operated in that community. Two years later he opened a garage at Sparkill on the main highway to New York City, and he was so successful that he quickly outgrew the establishment, with the result that he located in his present quarters in Sparkill, where, in addition to the ordinary garage accommodations, he also operates a fine machine shop. Mr. Hill also handles the sales and service for the Franklin car.
In politics, Mr. Hill is a Republican. He filled an unexpired term as justice of the peace, and was then elected to that office for Orangetown, serving a four-year term, and is now a member of the Town Board of Orangetown. He was appointed State Committeeman to the Republican State Convention in 1926 and is a member of the Republican County Committee. Mr. Hill is affiliated with Wawayando Lodge, No. 315, Free and Accepted masons; Rockland chapter, Royal Arch masons, and Rockland Commandery, No. 75, Knights Templar. He is also a member of the Haverstraw Lodge, No. 877, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; of the Rotary Club of Nyack; of the Republican Club of Orangetown, and the Nyack Republican Club. His religious affiliations are with the Presbyterian Church of Palisades.
On April 27, 1904, Mr. Hill was married, at Palisades, to Aletta Irene Munson, daughter of William Fanning and Miriam A. (Woolsey) Munson. Mr. and Mrs. Hill are the parents of two children: 1. John Woolsey, born February 15, 1907. 2. Miriam Alberta, born October 18, 1908; married to Joseph Sneden, and they have one child, Joseph William Sneden.
NILS G. ROSEN, M. D.
One of the most prominent of the physicians and surgeons of Jamestown, although of comparatively brief practice here, is Nils G. Rosen, who established a high reputation in his profession prior to settling in the community. Dr. Rosen is a consistent worker in the professional ranks and also in regard for the duties of citizenship, through an interest in public activities and fraternal organizations. He is a thoroughly trained physician, with an experience in famous institutions, as well as in private practice that entitles him to the high regard in which he is held by the people of this community. Still in early middle life, it is the hope of the people that his work here has many years to turn, for his reputation is high and his place secure, with a legion of close and faithful friends and a constantly growing clientele among the representative element of the population.
He was born in Sweden, August 12, 1881, son of Elof and Charlotte (Bruce) Rosen, both deceased in that land, and acquired his early education in his native country, where he graduated from the higher grades and then began the study of medicine in Edinburgh, Scotland, and London, England. He came to America in 1910 and took the courses at New York University and Bellevue Medical School, graduating in medicine in 1918 and receiving his degree, following which he became an interne in Bellevue Hospital, New York City, and then located in that city in private practice for eight yeas. In 1927 he came to Jamestown,
where he has since practiced. He is a member of the staffs of both local hospitals and of the New York State and Chautauqua County Medical societies. He belongs to the fraternal Order of Eagles; Loyal Order of Moose; Norden Club; Vasa Order, a Swedish organization; Bellevue Alumni Association and the Omega Epsilon Phi College Fraternity. His church is the Lutheran, while his wife is an active worker in the Baptist cause and in various women's organizations.
Dr. Nils G. Rosen married, June 9, 1928, Mary Munson of Eire, Pennsylvania. They reside at No. 1112 East Second Street, Jamestown, New York.
HAROLD ALFRED BLAISDELL, M. D.
Representative of one of new England's oldest Colonist families, the descendants of whom still till the soil of the farm at Cherry Creek, near Jamestown, New York, which was settled by Stephen Blaisdell in 1827, Harold Alfred Blaisdell, practicing physician of Jamestown, is among the rising practitioners of his progression in this part of the State. He is a young man of exceptional natural attainments, of cultured manner and ingratiating personality, and has entered upon his professional career equipped with a thorough training in its intricacies and impressed with the responsibilities of his task. Dr. Blaisdell has shown that he appreciates the urgency of a company of high class physicians and surgeons in any community, and has been a constant student of his profession during his practice and has kept up with the progress of his fellows and the leaders in prevention, invention and cure. There are great rewards or the scientist whose work is beneficial to mankind and it is not unlikely that Dr. Blaisdell, in his progress through life, will win a just share for the excellence of his work in the field of his choice.
He was born in Cherry Creek, Chautauqua County, New York, April 28, 1897, a son of Alfred and Bertha (Waite) Blaisdell, and was educated in the public schools, after ward attending the University of Buffalo, from which he was graduated in 1923 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He then took one year as an interne of Roosevelt Hospital, New York City, and at Yale University Hospital, New Haven Connecticut, coming to Jamestown in January, 1924, and establishing himself in practice specializing in surgery. Tracing the ancestry of his family back to early settlers in New York State, it appears that his pioneer ancestor was Stephen Blaisdell, great-grandfather of Harold Alfred, who was born in Vermont and came from Lyndon in that State to Cherry Creek, where he took up farming and founded the business of agriculture in addition to his calling as a minister of the Christian church. In his religious work he served a large district in this part of the State, where he was highly regarded as a devout and industrious example of the best traditions of the New England pioneers, from whom he had sprung. His son, William S. Blaisdell, was also born in Vermont, and came with his parents to New York. He married Mary Harris, of Gerry, was active in Democratic political affairs and served his fellow-citizens in several local public offices to which he was chosen. He followed farming as a profession and was the incumbent of the original farm during his lifetime. His son, Alfred Blaisdell, followed in his footsteps in almost every way, becoming an active member of the Cherry Creek Lodge of the order of Free and Accepted Masons, which had been organized by William S. Blaisdell, who was its first Master and of which he also became Master. He was also a valuable member of the Grange, being active in all its councils. His father-in-law, maternal grandfather of Harold Alfred, was John Waite, a veteran of the Civil War, and a direct descendant of Sampson Waite, who was born in England in 1607 and came to America in his youth, one of the pioneers of New England, and a man of fine character, who left his impress upon the pages of history there.
Dr. Harold A. Blaisdell scrupulously upholds the high standard handed down to him through these genealogical lines, his goal set at the top, which he gives every indication of reaching. He is a member of the staffs of both hospitals in Jamestown and belongs to the American Medical Association, and to the New York State and Jamestown Medical Societies. He is also a member of the Buffalo Academy of Medicine and a Junior Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. His military career began with enlistment in the American Expeditionary Forces, July 3, 1917, when he was assigned to the 106th Field Artillery, 27th Division, and with which contingent he served overseas from June, 1918, to April, 1919, participating in major engagement at St. Mihiel, the Meuse-Argonne and elsewhere. He was seriously injured by powder burns and was confined to the hospital for six months, finally being honorably mustered out of service at
Camp Union, New York, May 14, 1919. He now holds the commission of a first lieutenant in the Officers' Reserve Corps. Heis a member of the American Legion, Post No. 149; Rotary Club; Lodge No. 384, Free and Accepted Masons; Western Sun Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; is president of the University of Buffalo Club of Jamestown; director of the Young Men's Christian Association; member of the Moon Brook Country Club, and member of the Executive Council of Local Boy Scouts. His resident is in Houston Avenue, Jamestown, New York. He attends the First Baptist Church.
Dr. Harold Alfred Blaisdell married, June 25, 1925, Florence Phillips, and they are the parents of one child, Betsy Lou.
The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.