The History of New York State
Biographies, Part 53

Editor, Dr. James Sullivan

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam

 

EDWARD J. O'CONNELL

Holding a foremost place in the legal fraternity in the capitol district, as well as being a leader in Democratic circles in this section of the State, Edward J. O'Connell is numbered among the prominent citizen of Albany.

Edward J. O'Connell was born in Albany, New York, October 15, 1887. He was educated in the public schools of his native place, and subsequently graduated from the Albany Normal High School., he then matriculated at Union College, where he took the classical course and graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy in 1911. While attending this institution he was a member of the varsity football team. Having in the meantime determined to take up law for his life-work, he entered the Albany Law School and again took leadership in his studies ad ins class activities; and, after securing his degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1914, he was admitted to the bar and accordingly opened a law office at No. 100 State Street.

A staunch Democrat in politics, he early became active in the affairs of his chosen party, and soon assumed leadership of Democratic affairs in Albany county, aiding with other politicians to bring the organization to the most complete victories it has achieved in many years. He also took an active part in the convention which named Alfred E. smith for governor in Syracuse, in 1922, and his activities, played a notable part in the phenomenal vote which Albany county gave for the Smith State ticket. Mr. O'Connell has been county chairman of the Democratic County Committee since February, 1920, and was county attorney from 1922 to 1924. He is fraternally affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; and also hold membership in Albany Council, Knights of Columbus; Wolfert's Roost; the National Bar Association; New York State Bar Association; and Albany County Bar Association. He is a Roman Catholic in his religious faith, and as such is a member of St. James' Roman Catholic Church of Albany.

C. OTTO LINDBECK. M. D.

One of those citizens of Jamestown, New York, who has become eminent in the medical profession, which he has chosen for his life's work, is c. Otto Lindbeck, M. D., who has studied both in the United States and in foreign countries and has acquired a mastery of his science which is not easily nor frequently attained. At the same time he is active in the public life of Jamestown, and is interested in promoting the best interests of his fellow-citizens and the general prosperity and well-being of his community.

Dr. Lindbeck was born in Jamestown, New York, June 27, 1896, son of Charles J. and Emma Mary (Peterson) Lindbeck. He received his early schooling in the Jamestown schools, having been graduated from high school in that city with the class of 1914. He then studied at Syracuse University, from which he received his degree of Bachelor of Science, after which he took up the study of medicine at Chicago, matriculating at the Ruth Medical College, University of Chicago, which granted him his degree of Doctor of Medicine, class of 1922. His first practical work in his profession was as an interne at Presbyterian Hospital in Chicago. He also served at the Durant Hospital for Contagious Diseases, and the Ohio State Tuberculosis Sanatorium, at Mount Vernon, Ohio. For eight months he continued there, and then decided to train himself further, in the profession which he had selected for his own. So, he took post-graduate work for eight months in Vienna, Stockholm, and London, and did not actually settle down to uninterrupted practice until 1924, when he took up his present medical practice in Jamestown. Here he gives especial attention to pediatrics and to the special field of tuberculosis, conducting an X-ray laboratory; is on the staff of both hospitals and hold local baby clinics for the Visiting Nurse Association, in conjunction with other doctors. As attending physician to the Gustavus Adolphus Children's Hospital, he gives his time to the orphans there. He is a member of the Jamestown Medical Society, the Chautauqua County

Page 294

Medical Society, the New York State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association. He also holds membership in the Buffalo Academy of Medicine, and the Vienna Medical Society.

Active in fields entirely outside his profession, he is affiliated with the local Chamber of Commerce, of Jamestown, the Moon Brook Country Club, the Young Men's Christian Association, and the Epsilon Pi and the Alpha Kappa Kappa fraternities. He is one of the board of managers of the City Laboratory. His religious faith is that of the Congregational Church. During the period of American participation in the late World War, Dr. Lindbeck was a member of the Medical Enlisted Reserve Corp.

Dr. C. Otto Lindbeck, married, on December 2, 1926, Doris Hendrickson, of Jamestown, New York. by this union there has been born one child, David Otto. The Lindbeck residence is situated at No. 16 Columbia Avenue, Jamestown.

RICHARD N. LINDBECK, D. D. S.

One of the foremost dentists of Jamestown, New York, has received a broad training in the profession which he has chosen for his own, and has had extensive experience since he begun his own practice in this city. He is keenly interested in the newest developments in dentistry, with which he keeps in close contact through membership in the different societies and organizations, and also takes a deep interest in the affairs of his community.

Dr. Lindbeck was born in Jamestown, New York, on May 19, 1892, son of Charles J. and Emma May (Peterson) Lindbeck. He received his early education in the public schools of his native city, and then went to the Chicago College of Dental Surgery, from which he was graduated in the class of 1915, with the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery. Immediately he settled in Jamestown to take up his practice. In 1917, two years later, he entered the United States Navy Dental Department, in which he held the commission of lieutenant and was stationed at the Great Lakes Naval Station. After the signing of the Armistice in the late summer of 1918, he was mustered out of the service, and then returned to civil life. Taking up his practice once more in Jamestown, he was successful from the start, as he always had built a favorable reputation for himself in the years in which he had practiced before the war; so that his work grew in proportion and scope as time went on, with the result that he has today one of the largest followings of any dentist in this part of New York State.

Dr. Lindbeck is a member of the Chautauqua County Dental Society, the New York State Dental Society, and the American Dental Association. He also belongs to the American Legion; the Free and Accepted Masons, in which his affiliations are with Mount Moriah Lodge, No. 145; Western Sun, Chapter of Royal arch Masons, No. 47, and the Commandery, Knights Templar; the Norden Club; the Rotary Club; the Xi Psi Phi, a dental fraternity; the Gamma Upsilon, a high school fraternity; the Epsilon Pi; and the Young Men's Christina Association. Keenly interested in political developments in his city, State and nation, Dr. Lindbeck is identified prominently with the Republican Party, of whose policies and candidates he is a staunch supporter. His religious affiliation is with the First Presbyterian Church, of Jamestown.

In 1917, Dr. Lindbeck married Myrtle Oldson, of Jamestown, New York, and they have the following children: 1. Charlotte Mary. 2. Barbara Ann. 3. Richard Nathaniel. The Lindbeck family home is at No., 519 Winsor Street, Jamestown.

Henry ISAAC STETLER

Owner and president of the corporation which bears his name in New York City, doing business there as a storage warehouse, Henry Isaac Stetler comes of a long line of American ancestors, his forefathers having fought in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and, in fact, the family has been represented in every way of the United States. His great grandfather and grandfather are buried in the cemetery in Mt. Joy, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

Mr. Stetler was born in New York City, March 13, 1858, son of Frederick M. and Annie I. (Hershey) Stetler. Frederick M. Stetler was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and came to New York City when he was about eighteen years of age, where he conducted a bakery business for a time, but later became associated in the storage warehouse business. The original spelling of the name was "Stettler," but through the painting of a sign for his store the letter "t" was inadvertently dropped, and ever since then the name has been spelled Stetler.

Henry Isaac Stetler attended the pub-

Page 295

lic schools in the city of his birth, until he had attained the age of eleven years, when the family removed to Fairview, New Jersey. Here he continued his academic training, until 1871. When he was sixteen years of age, the family once more removed to Jersey City. May 24, 1874, he was graduated from the Mable Collegiate Reformed Dutch Church School and immediately thereafter became associated with his father in his big storage warehouse in New York City. In 1882 his father took him into partnership, and in 1897, when the elder Mr. Stetler died, Henry Isaac Stetler became sole owner and proprietor. Under his guidance the business has expanded steadily. In 1917 Mr. Stetler filed charter to carry on the enterprise under the style of Henry I. Stetler, Incorporated. It is known widely in warehousing circles and has been the means of a good prosperity to its owner, who is regarded by his associates as a man notably gifted in commercial enterprise, who se judgment is proved sound, and whose ethics are unimpeachable. Mr. Stetler belongs to a number of organizations pertaining to his business. These include membership in the Merchants' Association of New York City; the New York Board of Trade and Transportation; the New York Metal Exchange; the Weighmasters' Association, the Merchants Truckmen's Bureau; the New York Warehousemen's Association; the American Warehousemen's Association; and several others of lesser importance. In each of these he is active, and enjoys a wide acquaintance.

While his business connections are centered in the metropolis, Mr. Stetler resides in West Nyack, New York, and is here known as a public-spirited member of the community. He is aligned with all enterprises calculated for the betterment of Rockland County, and is possessed of a considerable influence in matters of a political character. A Republican, he is staunch in his support of the party's principles of government. In 1900 he joined the Tax Payers' Association, and has ever since been keenly concerned in the workings, of this organization. Fraternally, his affiliations are extensive, including those heretofore mentioned as having to do with his business in New York City, as well as membership in Highland Lodge, No. 80, of the Free and accepted Masons, in Jersey City; the Rockland County Historical Society, and the Good Roads Association. Toward charity he is ever of large heart; his contributions to all worthy appeals are ready in the giving and substantial in size.

Formerly, while a resident of New Jersey, Mr. Stetler was a member of the New Jersey National Guard, Company C, Fourth Regiment. Had he been a younger man when the United States declared existence of a state of war with Germany, April 6, 1917, he would most certainly have enlisted at one in his country's service; as it was, he did all he possibly could; he served tirelessly on the various boards and committees in charge of the prosecution of the conflict from within this country, and was instrumental to a great extent in the solicitation of subscriptions to the several Liberty Loan campaigns. In these connections he served as unsparingly of self as if he had been at the front, in France.

On august 24, 1907, Mr. Stetler was presented with a large loving cup on which is engraved: "Presented to Henry I. Stetler, of Clarkstown, Rockland County, New York, as a token of the high regard in which he is held by the honest citizens of Rockland county." On the opposite side there is engraved these words: "To an Honest Man-The Noblest Work of God."

Henry Isaac Stetler married, September 29, 1880, in Jersey City, Katie Bergheim, a daughter of Frederick Bergheim, and of this union were born children, all of whom have attained to manhood and womanhood, and occupy substantial positions in their communities: 1. May Haring. 2. Albert H., who is in business with his father, Henry I. Stetler, Incorporated, New York, and who shares in large extent his father's commercial ability. 3. Caroline. 4. M. Edith.

Some men there are who progress in business, reach success and more than financial independence comparatively early in life, and who spend the balance of their careers with one interest only; the amassing of money, large fortune, which has come to mean to them an objective never attainable. In their case winning is everything, the game itself only a means to that end; and in winning, it may be said their satisfaction is hollow, for they must win again, and perpetually, in order to be content in any manner at all. But Mr. Stetler is not one of these. To him the game is to be played for its own sake; while of course it is not as pleasant to lose as to win, still, he can bear to lose. A sportsman in business, to that extent he has been well repaid in money; but to him the actual money involved is less than the pleasure of doing, of creating,

Page 296

of planning a commercial advance, or a retreat. To him his business has been a pleasure; he delights in it. Through his many fraternal-commercial associations, he is assured of contact with men in similar businesses, with whom he can discuss common problems and exchange ideas, thus keeping the mind ever fresh along with the game. Mr. Stetler has never violated the rules of this game. Of him it is said by his associates that the would prefer to suffer great financial loss than to betray a commercial ally, or to do a wrong in contract. He is mot thoroughly endowed with those pleasing qualities of charter that make men high in the estimation of their fellows, and has found life an adventure, and on the whole a pleasant one.

LEDYARD COGSWELL. JR.

Of Albany, New York, is the type of man who does the more for his country and his city as his business demands become more exigent. To list the organizations he heads, is to give a bird's eye view of present-day progress. Ledyard Cogswell, Jr., was born in Albany, New York, May 13, 1878, son of Ledyard and Cornelia (McClure) Cogswell. In 1895 he graduated from Albany Academy; in 1899 received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from Yale University, where he was a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, and from 1899 to 1901 he attended Harvard Law School.

Mr. Cogswell's business career began in 1901 in association with the New York State National Bank, in his native city, of which he was made assistant cashier in 1905. In 1910 he advanced to the vice-presidency, and in 1922 to the presidency, but resigned in 1928. He is a director of the Morris Plan Company; the Albany Insurance Company; Ludlum Steel Company; Pittsburgh Tube Company; Hudson Mohawk Casualty Insurance Company; the Albany Woolen Company; and the New York Joint Stock Land Bank. Besides his connection with all representative local institutions, he found time to serve as director of the Albany Young Men's Christian Association; as member of the Home Mission Board of the Presbyterian Church of the United States; and as member of many clubs, such as the Fort Orange, the University, the County Club of Albany, the University and Yale clubs of New York, and the Graduates' Club of New Haven. He was treasurer of the Albany County Republican Committee from 1906 to 1921, treasurer and trustee of the Albany Institute of History and Art from 1908 to 1924, and president in 1920; and member of the International Committee, Young Men's Christian Association, 1916-1922. He is an elder of the Westminster Presbyterian Church.

During the World War, Mr. Cogswell was commissioned captain in the Quartermaster Reserve Corps, February 12, 1917. Captain Cogswell reported for duty May 18, 1917, to the Northwestern Department of Boston, Massachusetts; was assigned as quartermaster at Fort Ethan Allen in Vermont, August 20, 1917; and commissioned major September 25, 1918. Major Cogswell was assistant quartermaster of the 96th Division at Camp Wadsworth, October 28, 1918, and mustered out December 13, 1918. He has been chief of Buffalo Ordinance District since October, 1922.

On February 1, 1921, in Albany, New York, Ledyard Cogswell, Jr., married Dorothy Treat Arnold, daughter of Benjamin W. Arnold, of Albany. Children: 1. Dorothy A. 1. Arnold.

CLINTON H. CARD

A native of Cattaraugus County, but during a greater part of his life a resident of Chautauqua County, Mr. Card has been engaged for almost thirty years in fruit farming at Fredonia. In this town and in this county he has been very active in politics and since 1924 he has been Postmaster of Fredonia. He is a member of several fraternal organizations, is active in his church and is considered one of the leading, most useful and substantial members of the community.

Clinton H. Card, was born in Cattaraugus County, October 20, 1877, a son of Henry Clay and Sarah S. (Hoxie) Card, and a member of an old family. He was educated in the public school and then worked for several years for the Buffalo Railroad Company in Buffalo. After that he became connected as a salesman with the Dunkirk Seed Company, covering the Central States. Eventually he became a resident of Fredonia, Chautauqua County, and, about 1900, began fruit farming there on a tract of some fifty acres. He is still actively engaged in operating this farm and he has been very successful in this work. At one time he was for a period of seven years, superintendent of highways for the town of Pomfret, Chautauqua County. On June 22, 1924, he was appointed postmaster of Fredonia and so capably has he filed this office that he was re-appointed to it in June, 1928. He has always been active in politics as a supporter of the Republican Party and he has served as

Page 297

a member of the Republican County committee. He is a member of the local Grange, patrons of Husbandry, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, as well as the National Postmasters' Association. His religious affiliations are with the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Mr. Card married Lillian Sage of Fredonia. Mr. and Mrs. Card are the parents of two children: 1. Elsie, wife of Clayton Northgroves of Niagara Falls, and 2. Carroll H., a student at the Fredonia State Normal School. The family resident is located on Webster Street, Fredonia.

WILLIAM THOMPSON DAVIS

A native of Staten Island, interested in its historical and natural history features, William Thompson Davis, one of the authors with Charles W. Leng of a "History of Staten Island," soon to appear, has for many years been recognized as one of the authorities on the fauna and flora of the island and as a leading scientist and historian of the State.

Mr. Davis was born at New Brighton, Staten Island, New York, October 12, 1862, the son of George B. and Elizabeth (Thompson) Davis, of old native stock of that community. The former was an active participant in the Civil War, and later took an executive position with the Bank of American, at Wall and William streets. William Thompson Davis obtained his education in various private schools in Staten Island, following which he became a clerk in one of the mercantile houses of New York City. Shortly after his entrance into a business career Mr. Davis was offered a position in the Gratuity Fund Department of the New York Produce Exchange. He accepted the post and was connected with that institution in the department mentioned for over twenty-six years. For three years previous to his resignation of the post in 1909, Mr. Davis was in full charge of his department, under a board of trustees. He resigned his responsible position with the object of devoting his time entirely to the study of natural history, and that he has succeeded in his efforts is evidenced by the honors which he has received from his co-workers in his line of study.

A list of the clubs and societies with which Mr. Davis is affiliated comprises many of the scientific organizations of note in this section of the country. In 1906 he became a member of the American Association for the advancement of Science, and four years later, in 1910, he was elected a Fellow. Admitted to membership in the New York Academy of Science, in May, 1910, Mr. Davis was elected a Fellow in December of the same year, and of the Entomological Society of America he was made a Fellow on December 29, 1917. He was presi-

Page 317

ent of the Brooklyn Entomological Society from 1912 to 1916, and was given the same honor again in 1920. He was elected president of the Staten Island Bird Club, in 1919, and received the same honor from the Staten island Historical Society in 1922, both of which offices he now holds. For the past quarter of a century he has served as first vice-president of the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences, the original meeting of which was held in the house of his maternal grandfather, John C. Thompson. He also has served the institute for many years as honorary curator of zoology.

He was treasurer of the New York Entomological Society for twenty-five years, from January, 1904, and was elected its president in January, 1929. As trustee and historian of the conference House Association, he published, in 1926, a volume of the history of "The conference or Billopp House, Staten Island, New York." In addition, he is a member of the New York Historical Society; the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; the Boston Society of Natural History; the American Museum of Natural History; the New York Zoological Society; the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, and other learned bodies.

Mr. Davis has made a number of excursions in search of scientific data into Georgia, the Appalachians, the Adirondacks, and the Everglades of Florida. Many of these trips he made in the company of Charles W. Leng, co-author of this book. Mr. Davis has published a number of articles and monographs on insect life, together with several works relating to the historical aspects of Staten Island. His first work of this kind, entitled "Days Afield on Staten Island," was published for private circulation, in 1892. Other books on Staten Island of which he was part author were a work on the Church of St. Andrew and a volume entitled "Legends, Stories and Folklore of Old Staten Island: The North shore." Mr. Davis was one of the board of editors of the "New York State List of Insects," his special department being articles on Orthoptera, Dermaptera, and Cicadidae.

On November 7, 1900, Mr. Davis was married, at Livingston, Staten Island, to Bertha Mary Fillingham, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Brook) Fillingham. Unfortunately, a great sorrow came into the life of Mr. Davis a little over a year later, when, on December 17, 1901, Mrs. Davis passed away.

CHARLES WILLIAM LENG

Native of Richmond County, Staten Island, and a student of its history and fauna, Charles William Leng, for over half a century interest in entomological studies, during which period he has received many honors from his fellow-scientists for his knowledge of the beetles of North America in general. He has written and published a large number of pamphlets and two volumes on the science of which he is a devotee and has occupied office in several societies.

Mr. Leng was born April 6, 1859, at what was then known as Factoryville, now West New Brighton, Richmond County, Staten Island, New York. He was the son of John Scott and Mary Steele (Wilson) Leng, who were natives of Hull, Yorkshire, England. John Scott Leng was born November 10, 1837, and in this country was an importer of iron and steel, having offices at No. 4 Fletcher Street, New York, from 1858 to the day of his death, which occurred February 1, 1888. His wife was born August 5, 1835 and died January 20, 1904.

Charles William Leng obtained his early education at the Lafayette Institute, Brooklyn, which he entered in 1868, remaining there until the school disbanded in 1872. He then took a course in the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute, graduating wit the degree of Bachelor of Science in engineering in 1877. When eighteen years of age, he entered his father's business. On the latter's death he succeeded to the business and operated it under the name of John S. Len's Son and Company, until June 1, 1919, when he retired from mercantile business. The business included the importation of steel tubing and the jobbing of bicycles. In connection with his activities in the latter line of work Mr. Leng was for two terms elected president of the National Cycle Trade Association. In addition to the New York City offices the firm also had branches in the cities of Toledo, Philadelphia, and Boston. Mr. Leng commenced his studies in entomology in 1873 and continued them throughout his business career. He was secretary of the Natural Science Association of Staten Island from 1881 to 1885 and was appointed curator of the Brooklyn Entomological Society in 1890. In 1924 he received the honor of the appointment as honorary president of the Brooklyn Society, which office he still holds. He was president of the New York Entomological Society from 1907 to 1913 and was then appointed secretary, holding hat office at the present time. Since 1917 he has been secretary of the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences and has been its director since 1919. He has been a

Page 318

Corresponding member of the American Entomological Society since 1924 and has been a Research Associate of the American Museum of Natural History since 1910. Mr. Leng has written about one hundred and fifty entomological papers, the principal being "Rhynchophora of Eastern North America." written in conjunction with W. S. Blatchley in 1916, and a "Catalogue of the Coleoptera of America, North of Mexico," which he wrote in 1920, with supplement in 1927. He was editor of the section of Coleoptera, Biological Abstracts, for two years. He has written many papers on State Island topics, the principal being an "Early Ecclesiastical History," 1923; a list of Coleoptera, 1924, written in conjunction with William T. Davis; and a "History of the Church of St. Andrew," written in 1925, in conjunction with William T. Davis and R. W. Vosburgh. Mr. Leng has lectured in the schools of Staten Island and the institutions of Richmond Borough on various subjects, scientific and historical. At the present time he holds the office of local historian of the Borough of Richmond, having received the appointment from Borough President Vane Name in 1922. Mr. Leng has acted in a similar capacity for the Historical Department of New York State. Early in 1927 he began, with Mr. Davis (previously mentioned), the writing of the work entitled "Staten Island and Its People," a history soon to be published. He has been an extensive traveler and has made many exploration trips on his research work. Mr. and Mrs. Leng are both member of their local Protestant Episcopal Church.

On October 1, 1884, Mr. Leng was married to Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas G. and Elizabeth (Chalmers) Voorhis. Mrs. Leng died September 22, 1888, and in 1895 Mr. Leng was married to Marie, daughter of William and Sarah Jane Beattie, who died July 1, 1901. Mr. Leng was subsequently married to Tillie Martha, daughter of Henry and Matilda (Barsch) Molitor, on July 15, 1905. Following is a record of the children of Mr. Leng: 1. John Voorhis, born September 18, 1885, died 1910. 2. Mary Elizabeth, born November 11, 1886; married Walter Leo McWilliams, now of El Paso, Texas; three daughters. 3. Charles William, born August 18, 1896; married, in 1920, to Catherine Leslie, of Albany; graduate of United States Military Academy as lieutenant of cavalry; retired, has two daughters and one son. 4. Robert Molitor, born December 27, 1906; Bachelor of Arts, 1928, Cornell University. 5. Richard Bertram, born December 26, 1912. Mr. Leng has lived since 1885 at No. 439 Clove Road, West New Brighton.

 

The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie Axtman

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.

2004

[Index][Book Index][NY][AHGP]