The History of New York State
Editor, Dr. James Sullivan
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
The scientific type of mind is essentially constructive, straight thinking; it faces squarely, realizing hat genuine progress can be based upon no other support than truth. This sort of mind operated in the same way whether it be concerned with problems of engineering, chemistry, business or human relations. Probably to the predominance of this mental attitude among leaders in business is due the great and substantial industrial, commercial and financial institutions of the resent day. the principal of caveat emptor now finds little place in American business life. Beginning his career a an engineer and going from that into "big business," Carleton Macy is one of the men who has been able to give personal demonstration of the truth of these observations ina large way in Greater New York. As the head of a great public service corporation he guided its growth, at the same time winning the confidence and esteem of the large public whom it served. In maintaining this attitude Mr. Macy ran true to traditions generations old in his family, to whose escutcheon he has added fresh luster.
The Macy lineage traces back to the beginnings of New England history and through alliances by marriage includes many other names also identified with that early period. That was a day of intolerance. Pilgrim and Puritan fleeing the intolerance of an established church and seeking freedom to worship God according to the dictates of their own conscience were intolerant of each other and together were more bitterly intolerant of Baptist and the non-combatant Quaker. To the glory of the Baptist and Quaker be it said that no one was ever persecuted in the communities where they held sway; and so thoroughgoing was their recognition of the rights of others, and so unequivocal were they in their dealings that they alone held the respect and unreserved confidence of the Indians. As will appear, the early generations of Macys in this country were Baptist; but their descendants became identified with the Society of Friends.
The exact date is unknown when Thomas Macy, the founder of the family in this country arrived here. He came from the Parish of Chilmark, near the town of Salisbury, England. The family genealogist says it was probably as early as 1635. His name first appears on record September 6, 1639, when he was made a Freeman of Newbury, Massachusetts. He was a merchant and planter, and evidently was a prominent citizen, above the average in intelligence and education, for he held various offices--selectman, juryman, etc. he was a Baptist and frequently preached on the Sabbath. In 1656 or 1657 a law was passed making it a misdemeanor for anyone to preach to the people on the Sabbath except regularly ordained ministers. This law was aimed at Joseph Peasley and Thomas Macy, who were not members of the puritan church, and who, in the absence of a minister, were accustomed to exhort the people on the Sabbath. On October 26, 1658, the General Court passed an order (which was repeated about a month later) "that Joseph Peasley and Thomas Macy do appear before the General court to answer for their disorderly practices." The "disorderly practices," it appears, consisted in these men and their followers ig-
noring a court order that they attend the services of the Puritan church. Thomas Macy was fined thirty shillings on one occasion for harboring four Quakers for a bout three-quarters of an hour during a heavy rainstorm. Being a man of spirit and courage, he made up his mind he would not submit to such dictation; so he sought a place where he could follow the dictates of his own conscience in matters of religion. As a result, he and nine others purchased the island of Nantucket on July 2, 1659, which was at that time under the jurisdiction of New York. Thomas Macy and his family were the first white settlers of Nantucket. He was the first recorder and also served as magistrate. He died April 19, 1682. His widow, who was Sarah Hopcott before her marriage, died in 1706 aged ninety-four. She came with him from Chilmark, England.
John Macy, son of Thomas and Sarah (Hopcott) Macy, was born in Salisbury, Massachusetts, July 14, 1655, and died in Nantucket, October 14, 1691. He married Deborah Gardner, daughter of Richard and Sarah (Shattuck) Gardner.
John Macy, Jr., son of John and Deborah (Gardner) Macy, was born about 1675, and died at Nantucket, November 28, 1751. He married Judith Worth, daughter of John and Miriam (Gardner) Worth. He and his wife were the first of the family to join the society of Friends, of which they became members in 1711, three years after the Society was established on the Island.
Jonathan Macy, son of John and Judith (Worth) Macy, was born in Nantucket, April 8, 1725, and died there, June 17, 1798. He married Lois Gorham, daughter of Stephen and Elizabeth (Gardner) Gorham. Jonathan Macy was a tanner. He was an elder of the Society of Friends, of which he was a devoted member.
Jonathan Macy, Jr., son of Jonathan and Lois (Gorham) Macy, was born January 15, 1750, and died June 18, 1816. He married, December 3, 1778, Rose Pinkham, daughter of Reuben and Ann (Starbuck) Pinkham. She was born in Nantucket, February 22, 1758, and died in New York, November 7, 1853. Jonathan Macy commanded a vessel that sailed between Nantucket and Philadelphia and Baltimore after he had completed his apprenticeship as a sailor. He would take a cargo of oils, candles, whalebone, etc., to one of those cities, sell the merchandise and with the proceeds purchase flour, staves, iron, etc., for fitting out whaling ships. He was a successful trader and invested his profits in Nantucket real estate, of which he came to have extensive holdings.
Josiah Macy, son of Jonathan and Rose (Pinkham) Macy, was born in Nantucket, February 25, 1785. He married, February 6, 1805, Lydia Hussey, daughter of Zaccheus and Lydia (Folger) Hussey. She was born in New York, September 25, 1861. Josiah Macy began following the sea at the early age of fifteen with his father. Soon after his marriage in 1805 he took command of a sloop with cargo which was consigned to him. This he sold in Baltimore and purchased a return cargo after the manner he had learned from his father. He next purchased a quarter interest in the 90-100-ton schooner, the "Mt. Hope." After several coast-wise trips in her he sailed to the Mediterranean with a cargo, but not finding a satisfactory market on its shores he turned his vessel west and disposed of his merchandise in Lisbon, Portugal. He made a number of other trips to European ports and to the West Indies. During the War of 1812-15 he laid his ship up; but after peace was declared he sailed again to Europe and the East Indies. He retired from the sea in 1827 and the first of the following year he embarked in the shipping and commission business in New York City under the firm name of Josiah Macy and Son. Thus the Macy family has been identified with the business life of New York for more than a hundred years. Josiah Macy continued active in business until 1853. In that year he purchased a farm near the town of Rye, in Westchester County, overlooking Long Island Sound.
Josiah Macy's daughter, Lydia Hussey Macy, was born November 27, 1815. She married Jonathan Stanton, and they had a son Josiah Henry, who was formally adopted by his grandfather, Josiah Macy, after the divorce of his parents, so that his surname became Macy.
Josiah Henry Macy was given a good education. He liked the open life of the country and turned his attention to farming and took charge of his grandfather's estate at Rye. He made of it one of the model farms in Westchester County. After the death of his grandfather in 1872 he engaged in business in New York city and was very successful in originating a process of artificial refrigeration and ice-making. About that time he became a resident of Boonton, New Jersey. He was identified with the Delaverne Refrigerating Company. He possessed a talent for mechanics and was granted patents on a number of other
inventions. During the Civil War he served in the Committee on Home Defense and was one of the Vigilantes. He also held the office of justice of the peace for some years. He was a member of the American Institute and of the Agricultural Society of Westchester County.
Josiah Henry Macy married, November 29, 1859, Jane Carpenter, who was born April 11, 1841, daughter of Henry M. and Rebecca (Underhill) Carpenter. (See Carpenter line.)
Carleton Macy, son of Josiah Henry and Jane (Carpenter) Macy, was born October 14, 1872, in White Plains. He was graduated from Westchester Academy under the famous Dr. D. W. Abercrombie and then went with the General Electric Company, taking their students' course in Electrical Engineering. That was in 1894. There had never been any question in young Macy's mind as to the vocation he wished to pursue, and so he lost no time as so many youths do in seeking to discover his forte. As a lad he was an attentive reader of the "Scientific American," and worked put many of the devices he found described in its pages. After a little more than a year with the General Electric Company he went into the power and mining department of that concern under J. R. McKee, and was assistant to Maurice Oudin, who had charge of the multiphase work. Mr. Macy remained in that department three years. He was then sent out as district engineer and assistant manager with General Irving Hale at Denver. That was the office of the General Electric Company that covered Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming and Utah. When the Spanish-American War broke out General Hale went into the service and Mr. Macy was put in charge of the territory during the General's absence. The West was still "wild and woolly," and Mr. Macy had many opportunities to see frontier life as it really was. After a few months of illness, Mr. Macy was transferred on March 17, 1900, to the general office of the company in New York City in association with J. R. McKee. About one year later Mr. Macy was transferred to the office of the first vice-president of the company, General Eugene Griffin, and continued there until august 1, 1902, when he resigned to become treasurer and assistant to the president of the Queens Borough Gas and Electric Company. In 1903, Mr. Macy was made president and general manager of the company and remained with it in that capacity until December 31, 1927. During the period of Mr. Macy's service the company's list of patrons grew from 2,000 to 70,000.
This tremendous expansion involved almost every problem the human mind is called upon to solve; and of these, the technical engineering problems were perhaps, the least difficult. The growth in the company's personnel and the constantly increasing number of consumers demanding and getting service presented, each in its own field, problems inhuman relationships, problems in ethics, problems in expediency, to the correct solution of which a fine sense of values was a prerequisite, as was also a knowledge of the psychological reactions of the human mind. The development of business characteristic of the present age, from individual to corporate enterprise, necessitated by the ever-increasing magnitude of the operations involved in serving the public, has been accompanied from the very beginning by a marked hostility on the part of that very public most benefited by the efficiency and economics such corporate management makes possible. Truly, to be chief executive of such a business is a man-sized job! But Mr. Macy applied the engineering method in meeting every exigency as it arose; gathered all possible relevant facts; considered them objectively from every angle, abiding always by the conclusion enforced by logic, whether at the moment that conclusion were agreeable or not. The results were as good service as was humanly possible, fair charges for the same and an atmosphere of general good will that fully justified his uncompromising stand for honest, open, straightforward dealing.
During that period Mr. Macy was also president of the Hewlett Bay Company, which since about 1907 had been engaged in developing real estate. He still holds that office. The company is now engaged in developing high-class residential property on the south shore of Long Island. For ten or fifteen years he has been a director of the National Bank of Far Rockaway. He is treasurer, and a director of the Hudson Company; president and a director of Lefferts Company; director of Hewlett Woodmere National Bank; Beaver Mills; Millwood Corporation; Anchor Cap and Closure Corporation; Martel Mills; Seawane Corporation. He is a member of the Republican Club, Rockaway Hunting, Cedarhurst. Long Island. He is a member of Far Rockaway Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Union Club of New York City, the Turf and Field Club, the Adirondack League Club, Seawane County Club and the Bankers' Club of New York City. Photography is hi main hobby; but he is very much interested in flower gardening. He calls his
summer home at Hewlett, Long Island, "Wonderwhy."
Carleton Macy married, December 11, 1900, in New York City, Helen Lefferts, daughter of Oscar Lefferts of Brooklyn, and a representative of one of New York's old Dutch families. Mrs. Macy is a member of the Colonial Dames, Daughters of the American Revolution, Huguenot Society and other patriotic and social organizations. Mr. and Mrs. Macy are members of the Episcopal Church, of which he has been a vestryman for more than twenty years.
(The Carpenter Line.)
This branch of the Carpenter family dates in this country from 1635, when William Carpenter and his wife arrived at Hingham, Massachusetts, from Dartmouth, England. Her maiden name was Elizabeth Arnold. They removed to Providence, Rhode Island, April 20, 1636. He became a member of The First Baptist Church in America, of which, with Roger Williams and others, he was one of the founders. The Friends' Meeting House in Providence occupied a lot on Meeting Street originally owned by William Carpenter. He was repeatedly elected to the General court and was one of the most prominent men in the colony.
Joseph Carpenter, eldest son of William Carpenter, was born in Wiltshire, England, about 1635. He removed with his wife to Oyster Bay, Long Island, about 1635. In 1668, he bought three thousand acres at Musketa Cove (now Glen Cove) from the Indians. He married for his second wife Ann or Anna, Weeks, daughter of Francis and Elizabeth (Luther) Weeks. After the Weeks family located in Hempstead, Long Island, they were heavily fined in 1638 for "entertaining Quakers." Joseph Carpenter owned a sawmill, a grist-mill and a fulling-mill.
Joseph Carpenter, the next in this line of descent, was born in Pawtuxet, Rhode Island. He was the father of Thomas Carpenter who married Hannah Alsop, daughter of Thomas and Hannah (Underhill) Alsop. They were members of the Friends' Meeting at Musketa Cove. In 1728 they became residents of Rye, this State. Isaac Carpenter, their son, was born in Musketa Cove June 4, 1726. He married Martha Hunt. He became a farmer in Harrison's, Westchester County, and during the Revolutionary War his farm was nearly ruined as it was alternately occupied by the opposing armies. Being a Friend, he took no part in the military activities; but many of those wounded at the battle of White Plains were cared for in his home. He died May 21, 1778.
Joseph, Carpenter, son of Thomas and Hannah (Alsop) Carpenter, was born February 13, 1768. He married charlotte Mead, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Denton) Mead of Greenwich, Connecticut.
Henry Mead Carpenter, son of Josiah and Charlotte (Mead) Carpenter, was born December 13, 1790, and died in 1852. He was a prominent merchant in New York City and was also largely interested in real estate. He was married three times. His second wife was Rebecca Underhill, daughter of Richard and Parmela (Townsend) Underhill. She was born November 14, 1808; married June 10, 1840, and died July 7, 1843. Their daughter Jane was born April 11, 1841, and married Josiah Henry Macy, as above stated.
JOHN DONALD DUNLOP
Born at Paterson, New Jersey, on October 6, 1869, John Donald Dunlop bean his business career with his father at the age of eighteen. His parents were John and Jean Armour (Beveridge) Dunlop, the former of whom was an important silk manufacturer, and the founder of the firm now known as John Dunlop's Sons, Incorporated.
Mr. Dunlop received his education at Mrs. Tallman's Private School, and MacChesney's Preparatory School, both of Paterson. As a young man he was anxious to begin the business of life, and as soon as possible associated himself with father in the work of the firm with which he has now been connected for over forty years. Mr. Dunlop learned this work in all its phases, beginning in minor positions and rising to important executive office. In 1890 the elder Dunlop admitted his sons, George M. and John Donald, as partners under the firm name of John Dunlop and Sons. About one year later the father retired and the firm became John Dunlop's Sons, a partnership between the two brothers. Beveridge C., a younger brother, was admitted to the firm several years later as a partner, and in May, 1922, incorporation was made as John Dunlop's Sons, Incorporated, with George M as president, and John D., treasurer. Upon the death of George M. Dunlop, in February, 1923, John D. Dunlop became president and treasurer of the corporation, with Beveridge C. as vice-president and secretary. He is also president and treasurer of the Dunlop Factoring
and Sales Corporation. Under his able guidance these enterprises have attained the substantial position which they now occupy in the silk industry, as the demands on their services have constantly increased.
Mr. Dunlop is a member of the Chamber of Commerce of the State of New York, and chairman of the Committee on Foreign Commerce and the Revenue Laws of that body; a member of the Merchants' Association of New York, the Silk Association of America, and vice-president of the Rockland County Bankers' Association. At Nyack, New York, where he makes his home, he is vice-president of the Nyack National Bank, and he is also president of the First National Bank, of Spring Valley, to both of which institutions his services have proved of decisive value in their growth and success. Mr. Dunlop is affiliated, fraternally, with the Free and Accepted Masons; and for three years was Master of Athelstane Lodge, No. 839, at Spring Valley. He is a member of many clubs, including the Union League Club of New York City, the Manhattan Club, of New York, the Rockland Country Club, of Sparkill, New Jersey, the Arcola Country Club, of Arcola, New Jersey, the Nyack Club, of Nyack, and others. He is also a member of the Rockland County Society, while with his family he worships in the Methodist Episcopal faith, holding membership in the Spring Valley Church of that denomination.
On May 14, 1895, at Spring Valley, New York, John Donald Dunlop married Effey Blauvelt Smith, daughter of Dr. T. Blanche Smith, a physician, and of Ellen C. (Van Orden) Smith. Of this marriage there is one daughter, Jean Armour, now Mrs. Gregory Waterman Spurr, who was born September 19, 1898. Mr. and Mrs. Dunlop maintain their residence on Gesner Avenue, South Nyack, while Mr. Dunlop's offices are situated at No. 19 Madison Avenue, New York City.
DANIEL CARTER BEARD
Engineer, author, artist, cartoonist, illustrator of outdoor life and big game hunter, Daniel Carter Beard has devoted forty-odd years of his active life to the service of youth and to the implanting in the minds of the rising generation the ideals of clean living and true sportsmanship. To him is due much of the credit for the originating and upbuilding of the Boy Scouts of America, to which great movement he had given freely of his time and ability. Among his numerous decorations he treasures the only Gold Eagle awarded by the Boy Scouts of America; also the Distinguished Service Medal of the Camp Fire Club of America. Mr. Beard has also been decorated wit the Roosevelt Distinguished Service gold medal, an honor which he shared with such men as Herbert Hoover, Admiral Sims, Colonel Lindbergh and John Bassett Moore. It was Mr. Beard who personally brought about the meeting of General Baden-Powell and Ex-President Roosevelt and introduced these gentlemen to each other in President Roosevelt's office.
Mr. Beard was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, June 21, 1850, the son of James Henry and Mary Caroline Beard, the former a native of Black Rock, Erie County, born May 20, 1812, died April 4, 1893. His wife, the mother of Daniel Carter Beard, was born December 24, 1815, died April 20, 1903. James Henry Beard was a famous painter, and was the only man admitted to the National Academy of Design without having first served as an associate member. He painted the portraits of the leading men of his day and generation, including "Zach" Taylor, William Henry Harrison (1), Henry Clay, General Custer, General Sherman, and, as he often said" "Every prominent person from Erie to the 'Balize,'" the latter meaning the mouth of the Mississippi river. He was best known in New York as a painter of animals. He was a great wit and storyteller. The grandfather of Daniel C. Beard was the first man to sail a brig on Lake Erie. On his initial trip he took with him his bride, Harriet Wolcott, of Hartford, Connecticut, granddaughter of Governor Wolcott, of that State, and she had the honor of being the first white woman to set foot in what is now the city of Chicago. Daniel Beard's maternal grandmother was Deborah Bartlett, a near relative of Josiah Bartlett, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, on whose estate the fruit known as "Bartlett pear" was developed.
The family of James Henry and Mary Caroline Beard was as follows; 1. James Carter, born June 6, 1837, died November 15, 1913; lawyer, artist and author. 2. William Henry (Harry), born in Cincinnati, May 4, 1840, died in Flushing, November 19, 1889; was a captain of Company I, 13th Missouri Regiment of United States Volunteers during the Civil War. At the close of the war he was judge advocate, and provost marshal general of Texas. 3. Frank, born February 6, 1842; died September 28, 1905; was a famous cartoonist and the first man to make colored religious cartoons for a magazine; also the first man to give what was known as a
"chalk talk: with colored crayons; was a Chautauqua lecturer; editor of the "Ram's Horn," a religious paper, and built it up to a large circulation. His cartoons on temperance are credited with doing great pioneer work in bringing about Prohibition. 4. Daniel Carter, of whom further. 5. Mary Caroline, born July 20, 1852. She was he founder of the "Good Citizenship League" in flushing, and was its delegate to the fist Arbitration and Peace Conference in 1907. With her sister she organized the original Girl Pioneers of America, which is the mother of all other girl scout organizations, including those in England. 6. Adelia Belle, born April 1, 1857, died February 16, 1920. She gave the first money to the Good Citizen league with which to launch the building fund.
Following the close of the Civil War, Mr. Beard finished his public school education and then graduated from the Worrals Academy, Covington, as a civil engineer. His first position was with the city engineer of Cincinnati, and he later went on the road as a map maker for Sanborn Map and Publishing company, his first drawing, which was published, appearing in the "Century Magazine." He then took up his art seriously and ina very short time was doing much work for the leading magazines, newspapers, and syndicates. He was personally associated with all the great artists and authors of the day, including Fred Remington, William Chase, Mark Train, W. D. Howells, Henry George and many others. Also, Mr. Beard ah written many books which have attained an international circulation, among them being: "The American Boys' Handy Book," "The Outdoor Handy Book," "The Field and Forest Handy Book," "Do It Yourself," "Wisdom of the Woods," and others. He now has one in the printer's hands called "The Buckskin Book for Buckskin Men and Boys." Mr. Beard is a member of the Society of Friends (Quakers), and is affiliated with the Free And Accepted Masons; honorary member of the Camp Fire Club, Tuna Club, Art Students' League, Camp Directors' Association, Society of Illustrators, vice-president American Forestry Association, national scout commissioner and honorary vice--president of the Boy Scouts of America, first vice-president National Motion Picture League, diploma of honor National Institute of Italy, member of the Authors' Club and Forest Lake Club, and Pi Gamma Mu.
On August 15, 1894, Mr. Beard married Beatrice Alice Jackson, of Newton, descendant of an old Long Island family, which at one time owned Glen Cove. Mr. and Mrs. Beard are the parents of two children: 1. Barbara, born September 28, 1902. 2. Daniel Bartlett, born November 28, 1906. The latter is a graduate of the New York Military Academy, and now a student at Syracuse University, class of 1930.
The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.