The History of New York State
Biographies, Part 60

Editor, Dr. James Sullivan

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam

 

DAVID J. SMITH

Retirement to his farm, after thirty-five years of successful conduct of a grocery business in West Nyack, may well come as a happy satisfaction to a man of the character and general usefulness to the community of David J. Smith. Born in the atmosphere where he began and continued his life's work, he has long been favorably held by his fellow-citizens, who have displayed their confidence in his ability by electing him to pub-

Page 331

lic office and investing him with other trusts granted only to worthy men. Even with retirement from active affairs, he still take a lively interest in matters pertaining to the welfare of the people with whom he has been to long associated, his vigorous physique and bright conception of life indicating a long continuation of his activities.

David J. Smith was born in West Nyack, December 27, 1857, a son of John Tallman and Ann Maria (Gurnee) Smith. He was educated in the public schools, and immediately upon the conclusion of his scholastic period entered the grocery business in his native city. He never departed from this first essay into commercial life, save that he was deeply interested in agriculture and acquired for himself a farm, upon which he now lives. He is a Republican in political faith and was the first man elected to office on that ticket in his district. He has been Overseer of the Poor, Excise Commissioner of Clarkston, Coroner for the County of Rockland, and has been a member for many years of the County Committee, being now the treasurer. He belongs to the Improved Order of Red Men and to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

David J. Smith married, September 7, 1881, Louise Van Houten, daughter of Livingston and Sarah E. (Wood) Van Houten. They have one child, Hazel C., now the wife of Andrew A. Giles.

EDWARD H. PATTERSON, JR.

is a man with the most varied group of experiences in this part of the State. He is a scholar of note, and is even now in the course of preparing an historical treatise which should be both interesting and valuable, and yet the work in which this man has been interested hardly seems compatible wither with historical writings, or, for that matter, with each other; certainly, it is unusual to find so many different abilities all grouped within a single character, and that one of the most upright in his part of the State where his name is held in high esteem.

Edward H. Patterson, Jr., was born at Mount Vernon, new York, march 24, 1886, the son of Edward H. Sr., and Maria (Golden) Patterson, both of whom are still living. Edward H. Patterson, Sr., the father, is president of the G. W. S. Patterson & Company, Inc., a large business organization in New York City, which imports the raw materials, including kauri gum and China wood oil, used in the manufacture of paints and varnishes; material brought from such faraway lands as Singapore, Kangkow, China, and some being trans-shipped from the Port of London, England.

The early education of the son, Edward H. Patterson, Jr., was received in the public and high schools of the town in which he was born, and he later attended Phillips Andover Academy, graduating with the class of 1906. He next enrolled as a student at Columbia University, in New York City, taking at that university a special two-year course which he competed with success. Mr. Patterson's first contact with the world of commerce was obtained ina most unexpected capacity, considering that eh studied along the line of the arts. He was employed in an engineering occupation connected with the building of tunnels for the Hudson Tunnel Company of New York City. He remained in this type of work for two and a half years, and then became connected with the semi-chemical industry, of the Newark Varnish Works of Newark, New Jersey. Shortly after this, he was an agent, for approximately two years in the employ of the Old Brewer's Insurance Company of New York. He finally branched out in the present line of endeavor, opening a business of his own in the year 1924. This establishment was the Hudson & Mohawk Mutual Casualty Company, of which Mr. Patterson, Jr., is the present.

Yet with all of the varied and active work that Mr. Patterson, Jr., has accomplished, he has still found time to keep up the social side of his life, being at present a member in good standing of the Troy Gun Club, the Troy Boat Club, and the New York Athletic Club.

Edward H. Patterson, Jr., married, July 8, 1908, Nellie Classens, a native of Antwerp, Belgium, and they are the parents of a son, Edward H. Patterson (3), who is now a student in the Albany Preparatory School.

WILLIAM WESTERFIELD HAVENS

Fortunate is the man who discovers very early in life the vocation to which he is adapted; for he is thus enabled to save valuable years which, only too often, are lost in a youth's efforts to find himself. William W. Havens was a lad of only thirteen yeas when he determined that his life's labors would be spent in building construction. This bent was coupled with business acumen, a willingness to work and a fine sense of ethical values--which combina-

Page 332

tion placed him well along on the road to success at an age when most men are just starting on their careers. Building construction is no longer the simple matter it was at a time even within the memory of men yet living. In the last quarter of a century construction methods have broadened greatly, becoming at the same time more and more complex and technical. Realizing this fact and the necessity of laying a broad foundation of theoretical training, Mr. Havens had the wisdom to withdraw for a time from a business already prosperous and take time for a formal technical course in engineering which, combined with his practical training, equipped him to solve any construction problem with which he might be confronted.

William Westerfield Havens, engineer, architect and builder of New York City, was born three November 141888, son of Jonathan Nicholl and Alphersyen G. (Kidd) Havens.

Mr. Havens numbers among his ancestors many Colonial pioneers. The house in which his father was born was located on land on Shelter Island which had been in the family continuously since the original grant was made by King George II. The elder Havens was engaged in the wholesale lumber business in New York City, during most of his life and at the time of his death. He was a veteran of the Civil War and a member of the Seventh Regiment Veterans Corps. He married Alphersyen G. Kidd, daughter of William Westerfield Kidd, and a native of New York City.

William W. Havens attended the public schools of his native city until he was thirteen years old, bur as will appear, he was a mind that could not be so easily satisfied. Upon leaving school, he entered the employ of the Hennebique Construction Company, which was the pioneer in the development of re-inforced concrete construction. Later he was with other concerns in this line of business until 1910. During all these years he was educating himself by means of correspondence courses and attending evening schools. In this way he prepared himself for college. In the meantime, he was also advancing himself in his chosen profession, so that by the time he decided to enter college, he was designing engineer in the Public Service Commission. He had also been operating successfully in real estate, thereby acquiring means to carry him through his course. The abandoning of a prosperous business at this time is an eloquent commentary on young Haven's appreciation of relative values; his vision reached on into the future, and he knew that when he could combine scientific training with his broad practical knowledge, the ground temporarily lost would soon be regained and that thereafter his progress would be at a greatly accelerated speed.

At Columbia he gave his undivided attention to his studies. He was elected a member of the Tau Beta Pi and Sigma Psi fraternities, and upon graduation was awarded for Illig medal. That was in 1914, and Mr. Havens immediately went into business for himself and was making very satisfactory progress when the participation of this country in the World War in 1917 compelled him to abandon his personal interests for a time. He became assistant engineer with the General Chemical Company and worked out the design for the equipment that was to be used in the process of fixing atmospheric nitrogen. Because of this brief experience, Mr. Havens was placed in charge of the designing of the liquid air plant for the government Nitrogen Plant No. 2 at Muscle Shoals. That was a highly technical undertaking and the responsibilities imposed upon Mr. Havens were a compliment to his knowledge and ability.

After the war, Mr. Havens resumed his building operations on his own account, and since that time his business has been constantly expanding. He negotiates, finances, designs and carries through to completion the erection of residence apartments, after which he manages and operates the properties. He is an officer in many corporations, among which may be mentioned: President and director of William Westerfield Havens, Incorporated, E. M. Havens Building Corporation, The Yorkshire Apartments Corporation, the Home Builders Mortgage Company, Home Builders Material Corporations, and various other corporations owing and operating properties in New York City. Notwithstanding the exacting demands made upon his time and energies by his numerous business interests, Mr. Havens finds a way to indulge his interest in the study of constitutional law and political science, which studies constitute his principal recreation. He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Columbia University Club. His political leanings are indicated by his membership on the Bronx County Republican Committee.

William W. Havens married Elsie S. Nedle, born in New York City, daughter of Caspar Nedle. They have two children; William W., Jr., and Marjorie V.

SAMUEL S. BROWN

One of the successful men of Kingston is Samuel S. Brown, of the firm of Brown & Dressel, engaged in the heating, plumbing and metal work business. Mr. Brown and his partner, George C. Dressel, were formerly in the employ of B. Loughran, a well-known plumber of Kingston, for whom Mr. Brown worked for a period of seventeen yeas. He is active in local affairs, has served as alderman and as a member of the Board of Health, and has frequently served as a delegate to the Republican State conventions.

Samuel S. Brown was born in Dumbarton, Scotland, November 5, 1859, son of Samuel Brown, as expert shoemaker, who died in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1897, and of Mary (Shaw) Brown, who died in Mansfield, England, in 1922. Mr. Brown received his education in the public schools of his birthplace, and remained in Scotland until 1888, when he was twenty-nine years of age. In that year he came to this country, settling in Kingston, New York. He had served his apprenticeship in the plumbing trade in Scotland, and soon after his arrival here he entered the employ of B. Loughran, with whom he remained for a period of seventeen years. While thus employed he made the acquaintance of George c. Dressel, some eighteen years his junior, and the two men finally decided to form a partnership and engage in the plumbing and heating business for themselves. Beginning in a modest way in the Preston Building on Third Street, and operating under the name of Brown and Dressel, they gradually built up a concern which required better housing. They removed to the Sharp Building, which was then located on the present site of the Governor Clinton Hotel, and remained there until they moved into the fine, modern plant which they now occupy at Nos. 37-39 James Street. Both men are practical plumbers and the firm has made an enviable reputation for skillful workmanship and for honest methods. Mr. Brown is actively interested in the public affairs of Kingston, has served as alderman for one term, was a member of the Board of Health for six years, and has often been a delegate to the State conventions of the Republican Party. Fraternally, he is identified with Kingston Lodge, No. 10, Free and Accepted Masons; Mount Horeb Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Rondout Commandery, Knight Templar; Albany Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He has served as a delegate to the Imperial Council of that order and he was also territorial representative for a number of years. He is also a member of the Kingston Club, which he has served as a trustee for six years, and his religious affiliation is with the Presbyterian Church, of which he was formerly an elder, and which he has served as a member of the board of trustees for the past twenty years. Before coming to this country Mr. Brown served as a private in the First Lenoxshire Volunteers for a period of six years. His brother, William Shaw Brown, came to this country from Scotland in 1907.

Samuel S. Brown was married (first), in Dumbarton, Scotland, to Isabella Carson. She died in 1907, and he married (second), in Kingston, New York, Angeline Crawford, daughter of Ephraim Crawford, now deceased, a wood-turner of Ulster County, who was a soldier in the Civil War. To the first marriage four children were born: 1. Jessie. 2. Mary. 3. Robert, and 4. Isabella.

ROSS WILLIAM KELLOGG

As organizer and director of the Empire State School of Printing, at Ithaca, New York, Ross William Kellogg is a pioneer in a new type of educational work supported by newspaper publishers, the first of its sort in the United States. The validity of the plan and its successful operation under Mr. Kellogg are evidenced by the rapid growth of the student body and the enlargement of the curriculum. Ross William Kellogg was born in Moravia, New York, July 23, 1888, son of the village blacksmith, Sherman A. Kellogg, and his wife, Anna E. (Tallman) Kellogg. He graduated from Mynderse Academy, Seneca Falls, in 1906, and from Cornell University with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1912. Meantime he had already entered upon a newspaper career in September, 1908, when he became correspondent at Seneca Falls for Rochester, Syracuse and Geneva papers, which service he performed for two yeas. After his graduation from college, he became secretary of the Seneca Press Publishing Company, a new corporation organized to publish the Seneca "County Press," a weekly newspaper at Seneca Falls, and to engage in commercial printing. He was editor of the paper until August, 1916. In October of that year he went to Ithaca as a reporter on the Ithaca "Journal," an entering wedge into local affairs which offered him, exactly one year later, the secretaryship of the Ithaca Chamber of Commerce. For five years he filled this position with signal success. During the World War, he assisted in organizing various energetic war work committees, and for three months he served, while on leave of absence from his regular duties, as a member of the publicity de-

Page 534

partment of the Liberty Loan Committee in New York City. It was on March 15, 1922, that Mr. Kellogg became director of the Empire State's School of Printing, in the organization of which he was instrumental, which is unique in that it is the first educational institution of its kind to be supported by publishers of newspapers. The school has several times been enlarged.

In political affiliations Mr. Kellogg is Republican. He was appointed a commissioner of Enfield Falls Reservation by Governor Nathan L. Miller, January 27, 1922, and secretary of the Finer Lakes State Parks commission, April 1, 1924, holing office until August 1, 1925. Mr. Kellogg is a member of the Ithaca Lodge, No. 636, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; Ithaca Lodge, No. 71, Indecent Order of Odd Fellows; the "Quill and Dagger" Society at Cornell, and the Cornell Club of New York City. His religious affiliations is with the Presbyterian Church.

On August 5, 1912, in Ithaca, Ross William Kellogg married Mona E. Seaman, daughter of James and Margaret (Johnson) Seaman. Mr. and Mrs. Kellogg are the parents of two children: 1. James Sherman Kellogg, born March 16, 1916. 2. Lina-Lou Kellogg, born December 19, 1918.

DE WITT CLINTON DOMINICK, JR.

One of the members at the bar at Newburgh who has avoided the criminal branch of the law, confining his attention to general practice, with a leaning toward constructive work for industrial corporations, DeWitt Clinton Dominick, Jr., is now general manager, as well as chief owner, of the Hudson Transit Company, a post h has held for more than three years.

He was born August 25, 1889, the son of DeWitt C. and Mabelle (Field) Dominick. The first Dominick came to America in the Colonial period, settled in Herkimer County, New York, and several of his descendants figured in the Revolutionary War. DeWitt C. Dominick, St., son of Weidman Dominick, was born in Gallupville, Schoharie County, New York, in 1851; was graduated from the State Teachers' College in Albany in 1878; received his degree of Bachelor of Arts from Cornell University in 1881, and served as principal of schools in several towns, including Walden, New York. IN 1900, however, he went into the coal and lumber business at Walden, and continued in that line until his retirement in 1914. He is now serving a fourth term as a member of the Assembly from the First District of Orange County. He is a member of the Blue Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons. His wife, a daughter of George and Rachel Field, was born at Mr. Vision, Otsego County, and was graduated from the Oneonta Normal School. Of their three children, Field Herkimer Dominick died in 1891, and besides DeWitt Clinton, Jr., whose career is sketched below, there was one daughter, Elma C. Dominick, born November 4, 1892, and married to R. DeWitt Duke, a lawyer, a fort Myers, Florida.

Until 1904, DeWitt Clinton Dominick, Jr., attended the Walden High School, was graduated in 1900 from the Newburgh Academy, and 1907 from the Kingston Academy. He entered Cornell University next, and was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1910, and then read law in the office of Judge A. H. F. Seeger, in Newburgh. In 1913 he was admitted to the bar of New York State, and on April 26, 1915, he became junior partner with Peter Cantline under the firm name of Cantline and Dominick, and this association continued until 1920, since when he has practiced alone.

In 1927 Mr. Dominick was general counsel for the Newburgh News Printing & Publishing Company, for the Walden Realty Company, the Walden Industrial Company, the Hudson Transit Corporation, the Riceland Transit Corporation, and the Mountain bus Company, Incorporated.

The World War proved an interruption to his professional career. Commissioned as first lieutenant, Company L, First Infantry, New York Guard, he saw two years' service, training troops in Camp Whitman and Newburgh, and commanded a company for a year.

Mr. Dominick is a Past Master of Newburgh Lodge, No. 309,m Free and Accepted Masons; a member of Highland Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Hudson River Commandery, Knights Templar; Mecca Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; and is Past President of the Wilbur S. Westons Shriners' Association. he is also Past Exalted Ruler of Newburgh Lodge, No. 247, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; past president of the Automobile Club of Newburgh; a member of Newburgh Lodge, No.16, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and of the Powelton Golf Club, the Osiris Country Club,, the Newburgh City Club, and the Kiwanis Club of Newburgh, of which he was the first president. He belongs tot he Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a member of the board of trustees of Trinity Church.

Page 335

On November 4, 1914, Mr. Dominick married Blanche Hager, of Stamford, New York, daughter of George H. and Sarah (Van Dusen) Hager. Her father, who died in March, 1926, controlled the Stamford Water Company, and was postmaster of the city for eight years. Her mother died in august, 1926. Mr. and Mrs. Dominick have three children: 1. Janice B., born September 2, 1915. 2. DeWitt Clinton (3), born June 4, 1918. 3. Jean Barbara, born June 10, 1921.

HIRAM J. STEVENS

Engaged for many years in Granville, New York, as a banker, having been for a great deal of the period of his association with the Farmers' National Bank the vice-president of this institution, Hiram J. Stevens here holds a place of leadership in community financial affairs. He utilizes his position, furthermore, to the advantage of his town and his fellow-men, doing everything in his power to advance the best interests of Granville and being prosperity to its people.

Mr. Stevens was born at Fort Ann, New York, on February 29, 1868, and received his education in the public schools and high school of Fort Ann, having been graduated from high school with the class of 1886. He then formed a connection with a private banking firm of John Hull and Company, of Fort Ann, where he served for five years as cashier. Then he removed to Downs, Kansas, where he became associate with the First National Bank. With that organization he remained for two years, at the end of which he removed once more, this time to Hartford, New York, where he was engaged in farm work for fifteen years. At length, however, he again desired to enter the field of business and finance, and so he became teller at the Farmers' National Bank, in Granville, New York. Of this institution he is now the vice-president, and in this executive capacity fulfills his duties in a manner most efficient and creditable, bringing benefits to himself, the bank and the people of Granville.

In addition to his work as banker, Mr. Stevens has also participated to a considerable extent in public affairs, having been for many years county treasurer of Washington County, New York, to which office he was elected in 1916. His political alignment is with the Republican party, whose policies and candidates he ha regularly supported and in whose affairs he is ever active. He is a member of the Free and Accepted Mason, in which order he belongs to Lodge No. 55; Granville Chapter, of Royal Arch Masons; Calvary Commandery of Knights Templar; and Cairo Temple, of the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine of Rutland, Vermont. He also is a member of the Masonic Club, of Granville; Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of Glens Falls; the Lake Saint Catherine County Club, of Poultney, Vermont; and the Presbyterian Church.

Mr. Steven's father, also a native of Fort Ann, New York, was Joseph Stevens by name, and was engaged in the transportation business on the river; he was born in 1829, and died at Fort Ann in 1893; his wife was Levina (Fisher) Stevens, also a native of Fort Ann.

Hiram J. Stevens, married, at Hartford, New York, on March 20, 1891, Mary E. Bull, daughter of Gordon H. and May Elizabeth (Fuller) Bull, the former of Hartford and the latter of Cambridge. Children of this marriage are; 1. Gordon Stevens, born March 24, 1897, who is an undertaker at Granville. 2. Raymond, born May 8, 1899, who is now assistant cashier of the Farmers' National Bank.

EUGENE B. CAREY. 

With a war record worthy of several pages in history, Eugene B. Carey, active young real estate man of Kingston, has every reason to feel proud of his achievements as a soldier and a patriot. He is a son of Michael B. Carey, a skilled stonecutter, and of Jane E. (Edwards) Carey. There were six children: 1. Eugene B., of whom further. 2. May L. 3. Peter A. 4. Theresa M. 5. Vincent D. 6. Alverta.

Eugene B. Carey was born in Kingston, on September 24, 1891. He is an honor graduate of Ulster Academy, class of 1911, and of Spencer's Business College, class o 1912. His business career was interrupted by the World War when, in December, 1917, he volunteered for service. He was first stationed at Washington, District of Columbia, and sent to Governor's Island, New York, as army field clerk in the adjutant-general's office. he went overseas January 15, 1918, on the transport "Mongolia," which fired the first American shot that sunk a German submarine. He landed at Le Havre, and from there went to Blois, France. He was at general headquarters, Chaumont, and associated with General John J. Pershing, for nine months, handling troop movement orders on the American Front. In October, 1918, when the Second American Army was formed, with headquarters at Toul, Mr. Carey was transferred to assist in the or-

Page 336

ganization. After the Armistice, he remained at Toul until February 1, 1919, when he was invalided to Base Hospital No. 51, and on March 7, 1919, was sent back to the United States to Fox Hills Hospital, from where he was discharged on April 17, 1919. He is an active member of the American Legion, having been one of the organizers of Kingston Post No. 150. He was elected the first adjutant in May, 1919, serving until 1925. He was one of the prime movers in the building of the American Legion Memorial Building, and was rewarded for his service by being elected the first commander in the Memorial Building. He is again serving as adjutant. He was a delegate from New York State to the national convention of the American Legion which was held in Paris, France, September 19-24, 1927. He is a fourth degree member of the Knights of Columbus. After his discharge from the army in 1919, he organized the real estate firm of Brinnier and Carey, which is active in promoting the growth of the city and vicinity. One notable promotion was the building of the Kingston Riding and Driving Park.

He has always been closely identified with local civic matters. He was appointed secretary to Corporation Counsel Judge James Jenkins in January, 1924, and served until March 31, 1927. He was appointed secretary to the board of appeals of the zoning ordinance of the city of Kingston when the board was established by law, in 1925. For three years he served a deputy commissioner of the New York Veterans' Relief Bureau by appointment from the adjutant-general, administrating relief to indigent ex-service men in Ulster County.

On September 25, 1920, Eugene B. Carey married (first) Agnes R. Egan, daughter of Supervisor John T. and Margaret (Killian) Egan, of Kingston. Mrs. Carey died June 27, 1924. Mr. Carey married (second), June 6. 1928, Katherine Diamond, daughter of the late Thomas J. and Agnes (Tully) Diamond, of Kingston.

 

The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie Axtman

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.

2004

[Index][Book Index][NY][AHGP]