The History of New York State
Editor, Dr. James Sullivan
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
THOMAS H. KING
During forty-five busy years in the practice of law and operations in real estate, Thomas H. King, of Oswego, became one of the leading experts in both fields and a deciding authority in many instances of controversy. Having an intense interest in civic affairs, his chief desire was to improve the system of public education and municipal control of utilities. He was skilled in the intricacies of political affairs and had been selected for public office, although never seeking it, but administering it with fidelity and skill when called upon to serve the people. An organizer of conspicuous ability, he assisted in the founding of many important fiduciary operations in Oswego and extended his realty operations to Rochester and Syracuse, where he was equally successful in establishing himself a an authority while prospering through foresightedness and quick grasp of opportunities for investment. In all his enterprises he operated under a code of business honor that won him the respect of all and made him lifelong friends wherever he went. An accomplished lawyer, a keen business man and devoted to promoting the elementary school system, he found time for recreation in boating and fishing, which were his special pleasures in their season. He was a distinct asset to his community, to which his passing was a severe loss, while to his many friends it was a calamity.
Born in Oswego, New York, February 9, 1859, a son of Parker and Ellen King, he was educated in the public schools and graduated from high school, when he entered the real estate office of Max B. Richardson and added the study of law to his work there. In the autumn of 1880 he passed the law examination and was admitted to the bar. He practiced his profession continuously from that date, handling the affairs of the Richardson estate as well, until 1906, when he formed the legal partnership of King, Bentley and Cullen, which later became King, Bentley and O'Connor upon the retirement of Mr. Cullen, who removed to Watertown. Mr. King during this period served three terms as city attorney of Oswego, under Mayor J. K. Stockwell, Edward Mitchell, and John D. Kehoe. He supported the Democratic ticket in politics, but did not seek elective office, preferring to exercise his talents in advancing the cause of education and in other civic progress. For years he served as president of the Board of Education, was a member of the Charter Revision Committee and in 1910 served on the Child Welfare Board of Oswego County. During the participation of the United States in the World War, he was a member of the Draft board and in his earlier days served with the old 38th Regiment of the State National Guard. One of his greatest public services was while a member of the Water board commission, to which he was appointed at its organization and whereon he was indefatigable in his insistence upon
municipal development of the city's water power. As long ago as 1889 he was instrumental in the organization of the Frontier Permanent Building & Loan Association, the first in Oswego, and he later organized the Lake City Building & Loan Association, for both of which he acted as attorney during his life. He was a member of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church and was its legal counsel for years. He was a member of the American Bar Association and treasurer of the local branch for many yeas, belonged to the old Board of Trade and afterward to its successor, the Oswego Chamber of Commerce. He also held membership in the New York State Bar Association and was a charter member of the Oswego Council, No. 227, Knights of Columbus. Other organizations in which he had active membership included the Automobile Club of Oswego, the Oswego Yacht and Oswego County clubs. He acquired a great deal of valuable property in Oswego, Rochester, and Syracuse and spent his summers in the Thousand Islands, where he indulged in fishing and motor boating. He acted as counsel for many business enterprises and was considered an expert in municipal and financial affairs, as well as an authority on real estate within the purview of his operations. His death occurred January 1, 1925.
Thomas H. King married, in 1921, Olive Donahue. They have one child, Eleanor.
James JOSEPH BROWN
For twenty-five years, James Joseph Brown has been building up a real estate and insurance business in Suffern, that is now the leading industry of its character in the town. At the same time he had taken a vital and helpful interest in all matters appertaining to the improvement of any condition that called for such, has been assistant to his fellows in the conduct of the local government and has so conducted his own business that he has won the admiration and high regard of his fellow-citizens.
James Joseph Brown, was born in Suffern, New York, March 28, 1877, a son of John j. and Margaret (Doyle) Brown. His education was derived in the public schools here, after which he entered the employ of the Erie Railroad in the New York office, where he remained for six years. Returning to Suffern at the end of that period, he established himself in the real estate and insurance business, where he has since labored to his own and the interests of others. He later incorporated as James J. Brown, Incorporated. He is a Republican in politics and has held office as village trustee and town clerk and in 1915 was elected supervisor, an office which he has since filled. He belongs to the Houvenkopf Club and to the Free and Accepted Masons, Lodge No. 587; also the Royal Arch Masons and to the Knights Templar.
Mr. Brown married Berriniece Kerr, daughter of John Kerr. Their children are James Van Winkle, and Berriniece.
R. R. BRADEN FITZ-GERALD, M. D.
A native of Canada and a graduate of that country's schools and universities, Dr. Fitz-Gerald came to New York State immediately after he had completed his medical education and since then has been engaged there in the practice of his profession with much success. For more than two decades he has been one of the best-known physicians in Niagara County, having been located throughout that period at Lockport. Specializing in surgery, he has constantly kept in touch with the latest surgical developments and discoveries by means of post-graduate studies in the medical centers of this country and of Europe, and he naturally enjoys a large and important practice. He is also very active in hospital work and belongs to a number of medical organizations, as well as to several fraternal orders and social clubs. In every respect he is one of the prominent and substantial members of the community, where he has made his home for so many years and to the welfare of which he has made such valuable contributions.
R. R. Braden Fitz-Gerald was born at Peterborough, Province of Ontario, Canada, January 9, 1881, a son of James S. and Catharine (Braden) Fitz-Gerald. He was educated in the public schools of Canada and then took up the study of medicine at the University of Toronto, where he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery in 1905. In 1906 he came to New York State and for the next two years engaged in the general practice of medicine at Sanborn, Niagara County. From there he removed to Lockport, Niagara County, in 1908, and since then he has been a highly respected citizen of that community. He specializes in surgery and is a member of the surgical staff of the Lockport Hospital. His professional offices are located in the Farmers and Mechanics Savings Bank Building, Lockport. At various times in the past years he has engaged in post-graduate work in New York
City and in other medical centers of this country and in 1927 he spent four months for the same purpose in Vienna, Austria. He is a member of the American Medical Association, the New York State Medical Society, the Niagara County Medical Society, the Buffalo Academy of Medicine, the Clinical Congress of North America, and the Medical Association of Vienna, Austria. He has served as a member of the Lockport Board of Health and also of the board of managers of the Lockport City Hospital. He is a member of the Red Jacket Lodge, Free and Masons; the Buffalo consistory, Accepted Scottish Rite; Ismalia Temple of Buffalo, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; the Indecent Order of Odd Fellows; and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is also a member of the Lockport Chamber of Commerce and the Young Men's Christian Association. His clubs include the Tuscarora Club, the Lockport Town and Country club, and the Lockport Rotary Club. His religious affiliations are with the Presbyterian Church.
Dr. Fitz-Gerald married, June 24, 1908, Leta Dudley, of St. Catherine, Province of Ontario, Canada. Dr. and Mrs. Fitz-Gerald are the parents of three children: 1. Dudley Braden. 2. Harvey Braden. 3. Geraldine. The family residence is located at No. 330 Washburn Street, Lockport.
ALEXANDER A. FALK
One who bids air to rise high in public affairs is Alexander A. Falk, who, at the age of twenty-sox years, was elected to the State Legislature, and is now (1929) serving with distinction as Assemblyman at Albany. Mr. Falk was born on January 15, 1900, son of Joseph and Fannie (Goodman) Falk, his father having been active for a number of years in political movements in Brooklyn, notably from 1900 t9 1907, and as alderman.
Alexander A. Falk graduated from Public School No. 132, and from the Washington High School, both of which are located in the Twenty-third district of New York County, which he represents in the Assembly. When the United States Government declared the existence of a state of warfare with Germany, in April, 1917, Mr. Falk was a senior in high school; and as soon as he was permitted to leave his studies he enlisted in the service of his country as a seaman in the United States Navy, when he was honorably discharged after the Armistice. In 1920 Mr. Falk matriculated at Fordham University, and was graduated from the School of Law three years later, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. In 1925 he was admitted to practice the profession before any bar in the State of New York, meanwhile having formed an association with the partner with whom he has continued to operate, under the firm style of Cohn & Falk, 170 Broadway, New York City. This partnership has proved well established, and during the few years of its existence has transacted a good proportion of legal business, as both members of the firm are young, progressive, and fortunately endowed in their abilities to create impressions favorable to themselves. More and more are clients finding the way into the offices at No. 170 Broadway, until the future of the firm of Cohn & Falk promises to be indeed as far as Mr. Falk's progress in public affairs, should he choose, after holding state office two terms, to run again. In the tabulation of figures concerning the vote for members of the Assembly in the general election of November 2, 1926, shown as 30,228, that sum representing as it does the largest of all district totals in New York County, by some 9,000 odd votes, the next largest being the Seventh District, with a total of 20,804 votes. Of these 30,228 votes Mr. Falk received 17,746, as Democratic candidate; his nearest opponent, the Republican candidate, David Mikol, 633, with 1,286 blank and void. In the election of 1927 his records of votes were even better.. The Republican candidate for the Assembly from the Twenty-third District was Mortimer Kraus, and it was thought by many that he would prove unbeatable. However, active campaigning on the part of Mr. Falk's supporters, mentioned of his record in the service of his country, and personal contacts demonstrating his pleasing personality and intelligent manner, together with his success as barrister, won the day for him and he was elected to the Legislature, at the age of twenty-six, as noted.
Mr. Falk is affiliated with a number of local fraternal organizations, including the Minque Democratic Club and the Fordham Law School Alumni Association. He is also a member of the Washington Heights Boys. Though he gives the majority of his active time to the law, and to legislation, he is interested in the movements of all of these societies, and, when possible, takes part in them, especially in those of the Democratic club, in which he is a dominant personality.
Mr. Falk is Married, He resides at 261
Seaman Avenue, Borough of Manhattan, City of New York.
WILLIAM JAY KLINE
One of the foremost journalists in the Mohawk Valley is William Jay Kline, of Amsterdam, New York. He is the son of William W. and Jane Ann (Booth) Kline, and was born at Fultonsville, Montgomery County, New York, on November 7, 1848. He attended the district schools and when his work there was finished he became a student at the Albany Business College and the Johnstown Academy, and, in order to complete his preparation for college, he attended Professor Lewis Collins' private school at Albany. He then entered Union College, making a most excellent record there as a student and was graduated from that institution in the class of 1872, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. In 1875 he received from his alma mater the degree of Master of Arts, and in 1912 that of Litterarum Humanarum Doctor.
After his graduation from Union College, Mr. Kline was employed in the New York office of John H. Starin, where he remained for one year, and then on August 20, 1873, he purchased the "Amsterdam Weekly Democrat." Having decided talent for newspaper work, and choosing the lone for which he was especially qualified, his career has been a success from the start. For six years he published his paper as a weekly and then converted it into a daily. After a number of years, this paper was merged with the "Evening Recorder," and has continued to be published with the two names, "The Amsterdam Recorder and Democrat." In 1902, Mr. Kline admitted his son, Gardiner Kline, into a partnership under the firm name of William J. Kline and Son, publishers of the "Amsterdam Evening Recorder and Daily Democrat." The firm was incorporated in 1922 and in addition to publishing the newspapers does a business in commercial printing. Mr. Kline's success as a newspaper man is due to his ability to write in a pleasing style and with this talent is combined business acumen and sound common sense. He stands high in the ranks of journalism and is widely known. He is a member of the American Newspaper Publishers' Association, the New York State Publishers' Association, the New York Press Association, the Republican Editorial Association of the State of New York, and of the New York Associated Dailies. Of the last three associations he has served as president. For three yeas, Mr. Kline represented the State of New York on the executive committee of the National Editorial Association, and in 1904, he was vice-president of that association. He is noted for his public spirit and has been conspicuously active in every movement for the betterment and advancement of Amsterdam. In these different movements which he could see would result in real benefit to this community, Mr. Kline has not alone lent his personal influence, but he has used the influence of his publications to aid in bringing about the success of moves for social, educational and civic improvement. For many years he has been a member of the Amsterdam Chamber of Commerce with influence informing and carrying out its policies. With his papers as an instrument informing public opinion, Mr. Kline is one of the most powerful men in Montgomery County, and being a man of highest integrity, and honor, he has been a great factor for the betterment of the entire county. As vice-president of the Montgomery County Historical Society and the New York State Historical Association, Mr. Kline has been influential in awakening in the people of this vicinity an interest in the history of their section of the State, which is a part of the history of the whole State. His activities extend beyond that of newspaper work and its influence, for he is a trustee of the Amsterdam Savings Bank and vice-president of the Montgomery County Trust Company and of the Amsterdam Free Library. He is a member of the Union College Chapter of the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity. He is also a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society, and of the Free and Accepted Masons; the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; the Antlers Country Club; the National Republican Club of New York City; and the Masonic Club of Amsterdam. Mr. Kline is a trustee of the Second Presbyterian Church and of the Home for Elderly Women. He finds great delight in the pastime of fishing and is a past president and one of the directors of the Bourbonnais-Kiamika Hunting and Fishing Club of Canada.
Mr. Kline has always been a loyal supporter of the Republican Party and attended many of the State and national conventions. He is prominent in its councils and through his paper has been a powerful factor in its success in this part of the State. The only public office ever held by Mr. Kline is that of postmaster of Amsterdam, to which post he was appointed by President Hayes on July 1, 1877. In 1881, he was re-appointed by President Arthur, and served until 1885.
Through his broad culture and versatility needed to make a thorough newspaper man, Mr. Kline has many and varied interests. His love for travel has been indulged and he has taken many trips through different sections of the United States and the West Indies; has made a trip around the world; has been several times in Europe, and thrice to the Hawaiian Islands, and taken both the Mediterranean and the South American and South African cruises. All of these trips have been ably described by his own pen in the columns of his newspapers. He has devoted much time, means and effort to the welfare of Union college, and has for many years taken prominent part in her reunions, being one of the organizers and the first president of the Fulton and Montgomery Counties Alumni Association of Union College. He was also, at one time, a member of the board of trustees of this college.
On April 14, 1875, William Jay Kline married Emily Gardiner, daughter of Leonard Y. and Josena (Bronson) Gardiner. Mr. and Mrs. Kline are the parents of four children; 1. Helen McLaren. 2. Gardiner. 3. Laura Josena. 4. Edna Bronson. The only son, Gardiner Kline, who is a partner with his father in the publishing business, is also a graduate of Union College and a member of both the Phi Beta Kappa and the alpha Delta Phi fraternities.
There is no citizen of this city held in higher respect and esteem than is Mr. Kline. He is eminently successful and has shared his ability for success with this community, for without his aid many splendid projects now in effect would have fallen through.
WILLOUGHBY BARRETT DOBBS
As a teacher, am editor and a lawyer, Willoughby Barrett Dobbs, has gained for himself much of a reputation, and in his present office as assistant corporation counsel of the City of New York he has acquired an enviable standing in his chosen profession, Mr. Dobbs was also for three years an examiner in the Civil Service Commission, at the Nation's Capital, and for two years, was a member of the board of examiners of the New York Police Department. A Virginian by birth, Mr. Dobbs is a descendant of one of the old families of that State and was one of the charter members of what is now one of the leading southern clubs of New York City.
Mr. Dobbs was born in Portsmouth, Virginia, September 9, 1861, the son of Rev. Charles Edwin Willoughby and Mary Elizabeth (Barrett) Dobbs, the former a leading minister of the Baptist faith, holding the degree of Doctor of Divinity, who for over sixty years occupied many noteworthy pulpits and was, in addition, a popular and prolific writer. Mr. Dobbs acquired his early education in the public schools of Lexington, Kentucky, after which he took a course at Warren College, Bowling Green, Kentucky, later taking the scholastic course at Bethel College, Russellville, Kentucky, from which institution he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1880. He taught school in Fayette and warren counties, Kentucky, for three years, in the meantime studying law. He was admitted to the bar in January, 1883, and before applying himself solely to his profession went into newspaper work for several years. He was editor of the "The Democrat," of Bowling Green, Kentucky, in 1884, and managing editor of the "Daily Times" and "Daily Gazette" in the same town in 1885 and 1886. He started the practice of law in Scottsville, Kentucky, in 1887, and during 1888 and 1889 was proprietor and editor of the "Allen Sentinel," of Allen county, Kentucky. He practiced in Scottsville until 1892, in which year he was appointed a member of the Central Board of Examiners of the United States Civil Service Commission, at Washington, District of Columbia. This office he held until 1895, when he was appointed chief examiner of the Police Department of New York City. He resigned his office in 1897, on his admission to the bar of New York State, and went into private practice. Mr. Dobbs has always taken a deep interest in politics and was elected on the Democratic ticket to the office of Assemblyman from one of the Bronx Districts in 1907. He was assistant district attorney of Bronx County from 1918 to 1922, and in the latter year was appointed to his present office of assistant corporation counsel of New York City. While in Allen County, Kentucky, Mr. Dobbs was chairman of the Democratic County committee, serving in this capacity in 1891 and 1892. The religious faith of Mr. Dobbs is Baptist, and his fraternal affiliations are as follows: Hebron Lodge, No. 813, Free and Accepted Masons, where he has held the chairs of Senior Deacon, Junior Warden, and Senior Warden; Bronx council, No. 1416, Royal Arcanum, of which he is Past Regent; and the Knights of Pythias, in which he has held all offices. He was one of the charter members of the Kentuckians Club, now on of the most popular social organizations of Southerners, in New York City. He is an unalloyed American.
having contributed three sons, two brothers and four nephews to the forces of the United States in the World War.
On June 7, 1884, at Madison, Indiana, Mr. Dobbs married Mary Ready Ragland, who died in 1917, daughter of Felix Grundy and Ella Curd (Thomas) Ragland. Mr. and Mrs. Dobbs are the parents of eight children: 1. Hugh Barrett, born in 1885. 2. Paul, born in 1887. 3. Carl, born in 1889. 4. Mary, born in 1892. 5. Willoughby, born in 1896. 6. Theodore, born in 1900. 7. Margaret, born in 1901. 8. Elizabeth, born in 1903. Mr. Dobbs' office is in the Municipal Building, in New York City, and he resides at No. 2320 Grand Avenue, The Bronx.
George BEMENT LEONARD
The financial system of Syracuse was given a remarkable uplift in the way of conservative progress by the late George Bement Leonard, who was a dominating personality in the banking business in that city for nearly twoscore years. A financier of the old school, he had the confidence of the public, and was a wise and cautious custodian of the funds entrusted to the care of the institution of which he was an officer. Yet he was farsighted in his capacity for taking advantage of opportunities for safe investments which would yield revenue for the stockholders. He was a militia veteran of the Civil War period, and throughout much of his life was much given to the promotion of public service and other business enterprises of importance and usefulness, in which he held a vested and official interest.
Mr. Leonard's earliest American ancestor was James Leonard, who was of Lynn, Massachusetts, in 1651, and of Taunton, Massachusetts, in 1652, and with his brother Henry established the first forge in Plymouth Colony. For many years this forge was the principal one in this country, and the Leonards were widely known as iron masters, having established the industry in the Colonies. James and Henry Leonard were the sons of Thomas Leonard, who remained in England. Their descendants in goodly number became leaders in the Colonial period in business affairs and the public service, and their names occur frequently in records of the Revolutionary War. John Campfield, whose daughter Susan married James Leonard, grandfather of George Bement Leonard, was the aide-de-camp to General Lafayette, and in 1825 he was most cordially greeted by the distinguished friend of Washington and the American colonies at Morristown, New Jersey, at the time of his last visit to this country.
George Bement Leonard was born in Syracuse, new York, June 25, 1838, son of John Alexander and Louisa (Sloan) Leonard, the former born July 7, 1806, died March 23, 2873, and the latter the daughter of Kellogg Bement and Mary Ann (Gaylord) Sloan. John Alexander Leonard and Louisa Sloan were married, December 3, 1835, in Syracuse, New York. George B. Leonard received his education in the public schools of Syracuse, and made his first essay into a business career by taking employment in a mercantile establishment in that city. In 1853, when fifteen years of age, he took a position as clerk and messenger in the Crouse Bank, and it was that connection that he began to exhibit those qualifications which in after years developed into financial acumen of the highest order. Two years later he accepted the offer of a position in the Bank of Salina.
Upon the organization of the First National Bank of Syracuse, in 1863, Mr. Leonard was appointed to be its first cashier, an office which he filled with eminent satisfaction to al the interests concerned for thirty-four years. During that time his acquaintance among banking men widened appreciably and he attained a most enviable reputation among financiers of the city and vicinity. His executive ability won him still further recognition when in 1897, on his resignation from the position of cashier in the First National for that purpose, he was elected president of the Salt Springs National Bank.
In his new office as head of the Salt Springs National Bank, Mr. Leonard continued to give evidence of his firm and comprehensive grasp upon the business situation in his part of the Empire State. His conservative and progressive work in behalf of local enterprises was a marked development of his career as banker and business man. Many industrial interests of the Syracuse area owe much of their rise to an important station and their successful service to his personal and official aid and counsel and the investment of his means. He was one of those chiefly identified with the building and operations of the East side Railway connecting Syracuse with East Syracuse, that road subsequently merged with Syracuse Rapid Transit System; one of the incorporators of the Kemp & Burpee Manufacturing Company, which he served as treasurer until the company was taken over by the John Deere Plow Company, of Moline, Illinois; an incorporator of the Syracuse Tube Company, and was its heaviest stock-
holder at the time of its absorption by the National Tube Company; also one of the group of men applying for incorporation papers of the Syracuse Trust Company. He was a director of the Great Lakes Steamship Company, and was made the recipient of the honor of having one of its largest freight vessels, the "George B. Leonard," named after him. He had many other important business associations, those heretofore mentioned being those with which he had more prominent official connections. The idea of a Saturday afternoon half holiday for the bank clerks originated with Mr. Leonard and with the aid of other Syracuse bankers it was carried out.
As an enlisted member of the New York State Militia, Mr. Leonard rendered efficient service during the Civil War. He adopted in his early manhood the political faith of the Republican party, and while ever a staunch member of that organization, he could not be persuaded to enter public life beyond service in the capacity of school commissioner, which was highly prized by the city, and his colleagues during his tenure of office, 1873-74-75. He was a charter member of the Citizens' Club, and his name remained upon its roll until his death. For many years he was a member of the Fortnightly Club, and from 1913 until his passing he was a member of the Archaeological Society of Syracuse. In early life he became an active member of the Plymouth congregational Church, and in later life he transferred his fellowship to the First Reformed Church of that city, which he aided most generously. Congeniality, honesty, straightforwardness and love of truth were outstanding elements in the character of this wonderfully gifted man, which made his companionship a thing to be most highly prized by those in the various circles in which he moved.
George B. Leonard married, October 24, 1866, at Cuba, Allegheny County, New York, Elizabeth DeWitt Dimock, of Cuba, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Mandeville) Dimock, the former born in New London, Connecticut, died during the early childhood of his daughter, and the mother, a daughter of Rev. Garret Mandeville, who was the first settled pastor in Ithaca, New York, in 1801. Children of George B. and Elizabeth DeW. (Dimock) Leonard: 1. Anna Elizabeth, resides at the family home in Syracuse. 2. Mary Louise, died July 15, 1899. 3. Thomas Dimock, educated at Princeton College, Princeton, New Jersey; he married, October 4, 1902, Lucia Moore Norton, and has three children: l. Thomas Dimock, Jr., connected with the rising cotton industry in Goldville, South Carolina, ii. Lucy Norton, who married in Morristown, New Jersey, October 8, 1927, Edgerton Alvord Throckmorton, and they have a son, Edgerton Alvord, Jr., born in New York City, July 30, 1928, iii. Frederick Norton, who is completing his freshman year in Princeton. Mr. Leonard is engaged in the realty business in New York City, and for the past twenty-five years has been a resident of Morris County, New Jersey. 4. Margaret DeWitt, resides at home. 5. George Alexander, also educated at Princeton College; he built a part of the Welland Canal; later became a shipbuilder, and during the World War he built three vessels for the British Government and two for the Canadian Government, and who with his sisters has traveled extensively.
Mrs. Leonard, widow of George B. Leonard and whose death occurred January 4, 1927, at his residence in Syracuse, was prominent in charitable and social circles in that city. She was a member of the board of managers of the Onondaga Orphans' Home for many years, and for some time served as president. She was a member of the Archaeological Institute of American, the Morning Musicals, and the Visiting Nurse Association. Through her Dimock ancestry, she was entitled to membership in the Mayflower Society. At her death Mrs. Leonard was the oldest member of the First Reformed (Dutch) Church, her ancestors having been in that communion since 1656.
The death of George Bement Leonard occurred June 7, 1914, a few days short of his seventy-sixth birthday. His going removed from the Syracuse community one of its most prominent figures. He had rendered splendid service in so many and important channels that it might be said that he was a bulwark of strength to the composite financial and industrial foundation on which Syracuse's business prestige is builded. He achieved a noteworthy record for those who come after him, to peruse and emulate and a precious memory to his family and friends.
The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.