The History of New York State
Biographies, Part 63

Editor, Dr. James Sullivan

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam

 

EDGAR ACKLEY JAMES

To better serve the interests of his city and State has ever been the ideal of Edgar Ackley James, one of Gloversville's most important citizens, occupying a prominent place in the administration of the municipal affairs of this city. Mr. James has been city chamberlain since January 1, 1914, and, during the more than fourteen years that he has held this responsible office, he has been untiring in his zeal to give to the citizens of this community the most efficient and progressive administration of the finances of the city government. In the duties of his position, he is directly in charge of all moneys collected by the city, averaging $700,000 yearly,

Page 349

which total goes to the upkeep of the city, county and State schools. Mr. James was born in Middlebury, November 19, 1860, son of Alonson Leonard and Catherine Hagar (Watson) James. Alonson Leonard James was prominent as a carpenter and builder in this city for many years.

Edgar Ackley James was educated in the public schools of Gloversville, graduating from the high school here, after which he entered a business college at Painesville, Ohio. After completing his course of study, he entered the world of business, in which he was eminently successful. In his present regime as city chamberlain of Gloversville, he has distinguished himself by his keen intuitive knowledge of financial matters and his expert knowledge of business principles as related to the management of Commonwealth finances. His fraternal connections are with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Loyal Order of Moose, Fraternal Order of Eagles, and the Knights of the Maccabees, in all of which organizations he is a valued and popular member. His religious affiliations are divided between the Presbyterian and Methodist churches.

Edgar Ackley James married, November 20, 1891, at Gloversville, Laura Cornell Phillips, daughter of James and ------------ (Van Arnum) Phillips, and to this union have been born two children: 1. Gordon Edgar, born February 11, 1893, who resides in Chicago, Illinois, and is a salesman for the American Crayon Company. 2. Katherine Laura, born April 20, 1898, married Charles Howard Cox, a salesman for the Easy-Washer Machine Company, and they reside in Gloversville.

HOMER J. WINYALL, JR.

Since 1924 Homer J. Winyall, Jr., has been conducting a thriving real estate and insurance business in partnership with Mr. Naughton. Previous to this association Mr. Winyall was in the employ of the General electric Company in Schenectady, and later with the Wales Adding Machine Company. Still a young man, Mr. Winyall is regarded as one of the promising young business men of Albany.

Born in Albany, New York, June 19, 1897, Homer J. Winyall, Jr., is the son of Homer J. and Margaret (Farrell) Winyall. Homer J. Winyall is a railroad engineer for the New York Central Railroad, with whom he has been employed many years. the mother died when her son was only eight years old. He received his elementary education in the schools of his native town, graduating from Public School No. 12. After his graduation he took an electrical course at the General Electric company Works, Schenectady, which lasted one year. He then went with the Wales Adding Machine Company as a mechanical inspector, and later acted as junior salesman of their New York City office. From there he was transferred to the Albany branch as salesman, and was then promoted to the office of manager of the Wales Adding Machine Company, a position he held with enviable success for three years.

At this time America had entered the World War, and on February 28, 1918, Mr. Winyall enlisted and was assigned to Base Hospital No. 37, Kings County Unit, American Expeditionary Forces. Sent overseas to England, he served until the signing of the Armistice, receiving his honorable discharge at Camp Mills, March 5, 1919.

After his return from service Mr. Winyall came back to Albany and was employed in the capacity of salesman with the Theroz Company, covering all territory east of the Mississippi River. He remained with this company two and one-half years, and for the following two years was employed by the Curtis Publishing Company of Philadelphia, as superintendent of sales for the State of New York, with headquarters in Albany. Severing his connection with the Curtis Company, he went into business for himself by establishing a sub-agency for the Chevrolet Automobile, with salesrooms at No. 276 Clinton Avenue, Albany, he was most successful in this venture for the following year and a half, but in 1924 he established himself in the real estate and insurance business in partnership with Mr. Naughton, under the firm name of Naughton & Winyall. The firm has been very successful in developing property in south Albany in the section known as the Selkirk Railroad yards. Naughton & Winyall are also builders, having built twenty modern villas in and around Albany, and rank with the progressive business men of Albany.

Mr. Winyall is a Democrat in political affiliation and is very active and prominent in party circles. His fraternal obligation is with the Benevolent and protective Order of Elks, and he is a member of the American Legion. He is very fond of all out-of-door sports.

JOHN NAUGHTON

A veteran of the World War, Mr. Naughton has been engaged in various occupations in the beginning of a business career, and is now identified with Homer J. Winyall (see accompanying sketch),

Page 350

in a real estate and insurance business of flourishing proportions in Albany, New York. His skillful performance of his duties and his diligent application and capacity for hard work, has brought to the firm substantial and distinguished success and has established the business as one of the commanding and potent factors in the trade. He is the son of John and Mary (O'Sullivan) Naughton, of Albany, where the father is employed as a Pullman conductor.

John Naughton was born in Los Angeles, California, November 4, 1890. He attended the local grammar schools and completed his education at the Christian Brothers Academy in the city of Albany. Having studied commercial courses at school, for seven years he was employed by various concerns as a stenographer, and thereafter, in 1914, he joined the New York Edison Company in New York City in the capacity of stenographer. He remained with this company until 1917. At that time, the United States entered the World War, and Mr. Naughton was one of the first to join the American Expeditionary Forces. He enlisted in the Engineers Corps and was attached to the Eleventh Division, with the rank of private. He was in active overseas service for two years, and at the closing of hostilities he was honorably discharged. Returning to New York City, he resumed his position with the New York Edison Company, bur after a year removed to Albany where he engaged in the manufacture of wall mops, and continued in a modest manner for three years. In 1924 he formed a partnership with Homer J. Winyall of that city and since then has conducted a thriving real estate and insurance business, which has enjoyed a steady and healthy increase in volume continuously since. Although he is still a young man, Mr. Naughton has won the respect and admiration of all with whom he comes in contact, and is recognized as one of the leading younger generation in the business circles of the city among the prominent men in the community. He is a devout churchman, and attends the St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, of Albany. He is a member of the American Legion.

WILLIAM W. CHAMBERLAIN

For three terms William W. Chamberlain has sat in the mayoralty chair of Johnstown, Fulton County, elected on the Republican ticket. There is much in the career of Mr. Chamberlain to serve as a lesson of what maybe accomplished despite all handicaps of station or lack of means, and to prove that ability, courage and determination to succeed will carry a man to the heights of ambition. From selling newspapers on the streets of Johnstown to the highest office within the gift of his fellow-townsmen is the record of Mr. Chamberlain, and one to which he might justly point with pride.

Mr. Chamberlain was born in Johnstown, July 22, 1876, the son of David Woodburn and Catherine (Sutliff) Chamberlain. The father of Mr. chamberlain was a native of Otsego County who located in Johnstown in 1872, and who, after a few years, established a store of his own, where he conducted a painting and wall-paper business. His wife, the mother of Mr. Chamberlain, was a native of Johnstown. The education of the future mayor was received in the public and night schools of Johnstown, supplemented by a course in the Gloversville Business College. On leaving school he learned the printers' trade, and at the age of twenty years went into the grocery and meat business. This, however, did not suit him and he returned to the newspaper field, becoming editor of the "Daily News." It was on March 4, 1899, that he started in the business in which he has made such a success and in which he has since remained--that of real estate and insurance. He has ever been most active in the work of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has served as a member of the official board of the local church, and has been chairman of finance committee for a score of years. He was one of the organizers of the Troy Conference Laymen's Association, and is vice-president of the same. He is a member of the finance commission, the board of conference stewards, the board of education and the sustentation commission. In 1896 he was elected delegate to the General Conference of the church. He has served as president of the Saratoga District and Cayadutta sub-district of Epworth League of the Troy Conference. In Sunday School work he has also been very prominent. For ten years he was treasurer and trustee of the Fulton County Sunday School Association, and for two years he served as vice-president of the New York State Sunday School Association. He is also director of the Johnstown Young Men's Christian Association, in which he has held the office of treasurer for twenty-three years. Other organizations in which he has taken an active part and greatly assisted are the Salvation Army, of which he has been chairman of the advisory board for several years. He is president of the Fulton County Humane Society, and vice-president of the New York State

Page 351

Humane Society. He is chairman of the First District of Fulton County of the Boy Scouts of America. He is a member of the Fulton county Council of Girl Scouts. Mr. Chamberlain is a director of the Johnstown Bank, and the Johnstown Historical Society. He is a member of the Colonial Club, and his fraternal affiliations are with local organizations of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Fort Johnstown Aerie of Fraternal Order of Eagles, and the Loyal Order of Moose.

In the field of politics, Mr. Chamberlain has made a splendid record. A staunch Republican, he has represented his district as delegate to the State Republican Conventions. He has served on the Republican County committee for fifteen years, and for ten years he filled the office of city assessor. He was elected mayor for 1920 and 1921 by a plurality of 766. He was again elected for 1924 and 1925 by a plurality of 229, and once more in 1926 and 1927 by a plurality of 334. In 1927 he declined re-nomination. He is a member of the New York State Mayors' conference, in which he has held offices of chairman of legislation committee, treasurer, vice-president, and is a life-member of the advisory board of that body. He is a director and vice-president of the Johnstown Hotel Association, and a director of the Community Chest.

On November 22, 1898, Mr. chamberlain married Estella Forbes, daughter of john and Martha (Sanderson) Forbes, of Camden, New York. Mr. and Mrs. Chamberlain are the parents of two children: 1. Everett Jordon, born December 5, 1901; a student in the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. 2. Kenneth Bailey, born March 13, 1904; a student at New York University.

HARVEY PHILLIP ALPAUGH

In the annals of Johnstown, the name of Harvey Phillip Alpaugh stands out distinctly as one of the most prominent citizens of this community, a leader in every matter concerning civic development and progress and an active factor in the business and financial affairs of this vicinity. In addition, Mr. Alpaugh heads the well-known undertaking firm which bears his name and stands out as one of the leading funeral directors of Fulton County, his establishment having been the first of its kind to be founded in this city, while he is the oldest in point of service among funeral directors of this section.

Mr. Alpaugh was born in Sprout Brook, Montgomery County, September 8, 1858, son of Phillip Alpaugh. The father was a native of Sprout Brook and as engaged in the cooperage business, being an influential man in his town until his death, which occurred when his son was but four yeas of age. His wife died a few years later.

Harvey Phillip Alpaugh was educated in the public schools of Sprout Brook and upon the completion of his formal education, entered upon his business career. For four years, he was associated with Granville Scott, of Ames, Montgomery County, from which he learned all the details of the undertaking business, after which, in Johnstown, in March 19, 1888, he founded his present organization, which has since continued to be the most desirable in this city. The people served by his concern have the assurance of thorough consideration and tact in all matters, while very detail is arranged and carried out with remarkable efficiency and unobtrusive dignity, and the entire personnel is renowned for extreme courtesy at all times, with the ability to command every situation.

In the industrial and financial life of the city and county, Mr. Alpaugh is prominent as a director of the Kolonek Garage & Farm Insurance company; director of the Fulton county Auto Association, and a director in the Johnstown Button Factory. Ever zealous in promoting municipal progress, he has worked enthusiastically and is now in his fourth term as president of the Business Men's Association of this city, having occupied this responsible executive position since the inception of the society in 1923. He is also a director of the Savings and Loan Association and was one of the organizers of this institution. In fraternal affairs, he takes a constructive and active part as a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows; Knights of the Maccabees; United American Mechanics, and the Grange. His social club is the Colonial, and his religious adherence is given to the First Methodist Church. During the recent World War, Mr. Alpaugh won the admiration of his fellow-citizens for his earnest and energetic service in the cause of the Liberty Loan and Red Cross drives, which he aided both b y his material and influential aid.

Harvey Phillip Alpaugh married, in Ames, Montgomery County, January 26, 1881, Helena Miller, daughter of John J. and Sarah (Keller) Miller, of Montgomery County.

Page 352

LEVAN SIMPSON WINNE

Among those merchants whose names are identified with the town of Kingston is Levan Simpson Winne. Mr. Winne was in the hardware business for many years and probably had a better understanding of the hardware trade in this community then anyone else. He was for years the head of one of the oldest established hardware concerns here, and during the time he held the position he constantly added to his number of friends through his satisfied customers, for no man can grow up in a community without fully appreciating the needs of his neighbors, especially when one is as familiar with the general situation as was Mr. Winne. He was the son of Benjamin J. and Sarah J. (Simpson) Winne. His father's parents were Christian and Annatje (Longyear) Winne, and his mother's parents were Peter and Jane (Hood) Simpson. Benjamin J. Winne was born at Shandaken, New York, on December 29, 1826, and died at Shandaken on October 26, 1894. His wife, Sarah J. (Simpson) Winne, was born at Shandaken, on august 30, 1830, and died November 8, 1904. The children of Benjamin J. and Sarah J. (Simpson) Winne were: 1. Levan Simpson, of whom further. 2. James Simpson, who was born December 8, 1851, and died October 8, 1914; he married Carrie C. Rider. 3. Ogden Freemont; born July 9, 1856; died February 27, 1921; he married Jane LeFevre Deyo. 4. Ella Humphrey, married Theodore Du Bois Freer.

Levan Simpson Winne was born at Shandaken, Ulster County, New York, on March 23, 1850. His father was a farmer and he was brought up on the farm and got his education at the country school. When quite a young man, he entered the employ of Sahler and Reynolds, hardware merchants, with a store on Wall Street, Kingston. He was alert, diligent and in every way attentive to business and, after a number of years, in association with a partner, he established the business of Winne and Winchell, with a store on Wall Street. After a year this firm was chartered and Mr. Winne's brother, Ogden S. Winne, was taken in as a partner. The firm was now known as L. S. Winne & company. The association continued until the death of Ogden S. Winne, in October, 1921. In 1926, Benjamin J. Winne (q.v.), son of Levan S. Winne, became a member of the firm, and on the death of his father, which occurred February 10, 1926, succeeded to the management of the business. Levan Simpson Winne was a director of the Kingston National Savings Bank; a trustee of the National Ulster County Bank; a member of the lodge of Free and Accepted Masons, in which he was always active, and a member of the Dutch Reformed Church. His prime interest in life was his business, to which he devoted all of his attention, and was rewarded for his application to this activity with a good measure of success. In this community he is remembered as a stable citizen of sterling qualities of character and high esteem. He was of that type of staunch American merchant that did so much to upbuild the present great system of merchandising that has meant so much to the prosperity of this country. In the earlier days, when transportation facilities were not so adequate as now, such stores as Mr. Winne conducted were, and still are to a great extent, wonderful distributing centers and also depots of merchandise where farmers could gather and find what they needed. The hardware stores of the smaller towns have been as essential to the development of agriculture and building as the farmer and carpenter, and to these merchants the country at large will always owe a debt of profound gratitude.

On November 15, 1872, Levan Simpson Winne married Fannie H. Krom, daughter of Jacob and Mary (Hammond) Krom. They had one child, Benjamin James Winne, who succeeded his father in business.

BENJAMIN James WINNE

Carrying on the business established by his father in 1872, Benjamin James Winne, of Kingston, is well known throughout the county as a hardware dealer and progressive business man. He is the son of the late Levan Simpson and Fannie H. (Krom) Winne.

Benjamin James Winne was born in Kingston on October 20, 1885. After receiving a public school education, he entered the Mount Pleasant Military Academy at Ossining, New York, in 1903, and graduated there in 1906. He immediately entered the business of L. S. Winne and Company, hardware dealers. The principals in this business were Levan S. Winne and his brother, Ogden F. Winne. Benjamin James Winne began as a salesman and worked his way up in the business and, at the death of his uncle, Ogden F. Winne, his father took him into the partnership. At the time of the death of his father, Levan Simpson Winne (q.v.), on February 10, 1926, Benjamin James Winne took over the full responsibility of managing the business and has continued in that capacity ever since. In addition to the hardware business, Mr. Winne is a

Page 353

director of the National Ulster County Bank and a trustee of the Kingston Savings Bank. During the World War, Mr. Winne served as a first lieutenant in the Quartermaster's Corps, 107th Regiment, Field Artillery. He is a member of the Kingston Lodge, No. 10, Free and Accepted Masons; Mount Horeb Chapter, No. 75, Royal Arch Masons; Rondout Commandery, No. 52, Knights Templar; Ancient City Council, No. 21, Royal and Select Masters; Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, and Cyprus Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. His clubs are the Masonic, the Craftman's, and the Kingston Shrine Association. He is a member of the Dutch Reformed Church.

On June 15, 1910, at Kinston, Benjamin James Winne married Marguerita D. More, daughter of Charles Edward and Matilda Jane (Hutton) More. They have on child, Robert Bruce.

MICHAEL J. HARDIMAN

One of the leading citizens and business men of Watertown, New York, was Michael J. Hardiman, who for many years was engaged in the manufacture of furniture in this place, and who from time to time also performed other types of work which marked him as an outstanding figure in his community. A native of Ireland, he came to the United States in his youth, and here spent a long and busy career in advancing the business status of Watertown; and in the course of his labors here he acquired a wide circle of friends, of whom those privileged to know him intimately regarded him as the highest type of individual, a man noted for his thorough integrity of character, his upright dealings with his fellow-men, and constant willingness to help others. His death came as a distinct shock to all who knew him, for he was truly a leader in Watertown, a valuable citizen, and a man whose influence was ever for good.

Mr. Hardiman was born December 26, 1850, at Banalasloe, County Galway, Ireland, son of Michael and Katherine (Reilly) Hardiman. He attended the public schools in Ireland, and at the age of twenty-two years left the Old World with his brother, John, formerly widely known in Watertown as a building contractor, and came to America to seek his fortune. Settling in Watertown, he began work as a stone mason and bricklayer, and later took up the peddling of general merchandise on the road. Perhaps these early struggles best shoe the character of the man; at least those sturdy traits of perseverance and willingness to work, which were undoubtedly the principal factors in building up his subsequent success. As soon as he was able to afford the change, he bought a horse and wagon to assist him in his peddling, and managed in this way to expand his business and save enough money for further ventures. In 1879 he set himself up in business in Watertown with Mattis Zimmerman, establishing the firm of Zimmerman and Hardiman, which manufactured and sold furniture. The first store was situated where the cottage block now stands, across Court Street from the present store, Nos. 147-149 Court Street. In 1893 the firm moved to its present quarters, and its name was now the Hardiman-Woolworth Company. A volume might easily be written about the expansion of the store from its founding until the present time. Formerly one of many institutions of its kind in size and scope, it rapidly grew until it became one of the three largest furniture houses in New York State. Besides the store itself, there are today two other warehouses, and the merchandise produced by the organization is sold throughout the State. This remarkable development is, of course, in a large way the result of the wise merchandising policies and the business acumen of its proprietor, Mr. Hardiman, whose plans were such as to bring about a growth well nigh miraculous. Always a student of men and methods, he was a diligent reader, and a man who was progressive along every line and so advanced himself rapidly.

Among his other interests, he, along with his brother, the late John Hardiman, purchased, in 1895, the Hardiman Hotel, situated at Nos. 201-207 Court Street, and together they remodeled it and operated it until 1911, when Michael J. Hardiman took over for his brother's interest in the store and conducted it until the time of his death. In addition to his business activities, Mr. Hardiman owned considerable property in Florida, where he built a house in 1925. Here, in Miami, Florida, he and Mrs. Hardiman spent their winters. Mr. Hardiman was a member of St. Patrick's Church, the Holy Name Society, and the Knights of Columbus. In his political views he was identified with the Democratic Party, although he was never actively engaged in politics. He did extensive traveling, having gone several times to visit his former home in Ireland. As president of the Hardiman-Woolworth company, and owner of the Hardiman Hotel, he was one of the foremost business men in this part of New York State; and, perhaps, feeling that because of his suc-

Page 354

cess he owned something to his community, Mr. Hardiman remembered in his will Mercy hospital and the local orphanage, while he also made bequests to his chauffeur and to a number of other individuals.

Mr. Hardiman was twice married: (first) to Julia Furlong, of Watertown, New York, who died in 1895, and they had three children: 1. Edward, 2. James, 3. Cleveland, all now deceased; and (second) to Ellen A. Gleason, of Binghamton, New York, on November 5, 1891, by whom he had one son, 4. John, who died in 1911.

Michael J. Hardiman died on September 24, 1926; and his passing was regarded as a great loss to Watertown and many of the neighboring communities of New York State, in which he was known as a friend and respected as a business leader of sterling worth and integrity. His success had been outstanding, the use that he made of his profits advantageous to his city and his fellow-men, the influence of his life and character beneficial, and his life useful in the highest degree. Watertown will not soon replace a man like Mr. Hardiman.

ASHLEY D. L. BAKER

One of the most conspicuous figures in the professional, financial and social life of Gloversville, Fulton County, is Ashley D. L. Baker, who, for more than threescore years, was greatly to the fore in legal and financial circles, and was a great force in all projects for the advancement and betterment of his community.

Mr. Baker was born in West Monroe, Oswego County, July 28, 1843, the son of Samuel Porter and Mary H. (Atherton) Baker, the former a native of Lenox, Madison County, and the latter of Lynchburg, Vermont. The father of Mr. Baker was a farmer, and he also conducted a tannery in West Monroe. He died in 1888, at the advanced age of eighty-eight years. His wife died in 1883, aged eighty years.

The boyhood of Mr. Baker was spent in West Monroe, where he attended the local schools. He then attended Mexico Academy, in Oswego County, and the seminary at Whitestown, Oneida county, following which he tool up the study of law privately, with his two brothers, the Hon. W. H. Baker, formerly a Member of congress, and S. Park Baker. He then attended the law school at Albany, where he completed his studies, being admitted to the bar in 1866. He located in Gloversville, New York, in 1867, where he established himself in practice. He was a man inactive practice for forty-five years, at the end of which time he retired, although he always retained a personal interest in all matters of importance and was ever ready to give his advice, and counsel on knotty problems. Since giving up the active practice of law, Mr. Baker has devoted his attention to his financial affairs. He was the first mayor of Gloversville, having been elected to that important office in 1884, having previously been judge of Fulton County from 1878 to 1884. In 1902 he was elected to the presidency of the Fulton county national Bank of Gloversville, which office he held continuously until 1924, when he resigned. He was then chosen as chairman of the board of directors, in order that the bank might still be able to avail itself of Mr. Baker's experience and judgment. He is affiliated with the Free and Accepted Masons, being a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Temple. He is also a member of the Eccentric Club of Gloversville, and is a deacon in the Congregational Church.

In August, 1870, Mr. Baker married Alice Judson, the daughter of Alanson and Jane (Ellison) Judson, both natives of the State and prominent residents of Gloversville. They were the parents of one child, Park, who died at the age of five months, and on March 11, 1875, Mrs. Baker passed away. In June of the following year, Mr. Baker married his sister-in-law, Marion Judson. To this union were born three children, as follows: 1. Alanson, engaged in the leather business in Johnstown, Fulton County. 2. Mary, married to Dr. C. F. Chaffe, a prominent physician of Rochester, Monroe County. 3. Alice M., married to G. W. Heacock, of Ilion, Herkimer County. Mrs. Baker passed away in April, 1902, and in September, 1907, Mr. Baker married Mrs. Dorothy (Ingerson) Paul, a daughter of Jeremiah Ingerson, of West Monroe, Oswego County. Mr. and Mrs. Baker have a very charming resident at No. 83 Washington Street, Gloversville, where they are the center of a select and representative gathering of the social leaders of the community.

 

The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie Axtman

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.

2004

[Index][Book Index][NY][AHGP]