The History of New York State
Biographies, Part 7

Editor, Dr. James Sullivan

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam

 

George WALLACE CODWISE

A civil engineer by professions and a resident of Kingston, where he was born, traces his ancestry on the paternal side top Jan Koenraet Codweis, who was in this country prior to 1708, who married Margaret Elizabeth Stillwagen, and among their children are Christopher, of whom further. The name in old documents and records is spelled Codwys, Codwise and Codwies.

(II) Christopher Codweis, son of Jan Koenraet and Margaret Elizabeth (Stillwagen) Codweis, served as an adjutant in Kings County Militia in 1722, field officer in 1728, and county judge of Kings County in 1738-42. He married a Miss Beekman, and among their children was George, of whom further.

(III) George Codwise, son of Christopher and ---------(Beekman) Codwise, was a soldier in the Revolutionary Army, a member of the Third new York Regiment from 1778 to 1781. He married, July 19, 1760, Anna Maria Ranst, born in 1740, died in 11805. Among their children was Christopher, of whom further.

(IV) Christopher (2) Codwise, son of George and Anna Maria (Ranst) Codwise, was born September 19, 1767, died May 4, 1849. He married, in 1786, in Santa Cruz, Danish West Indies, Elizabeth Rogers, born in 1771, died in 1864. Among their children was Elisha Rogers, of whom further.

(V) Elisha Rogers Codwise, son of Christopher (2) and Elizabeth (Rogers) Codwise, was born July 29, 1815, died July 1, 1872. He married, June 21, 1848, Harriet Matilda Spencer Salter, born December 17, 1820, died July 18, 1883, and among their children was Edward B., of whom further. Mrs. Codwise was a descendent of Richard Salter, who came from England in 1664, arriving in Boston, Massachusetts. Later he settled in Middletown, Monmouth County, New Jersey, and there married Sarah Bowne, born November 27, 1669, died in 1720. Their son, Ebenezer, married Rebecca Stillwell. Their son, Manassa, born 1720, died 1799, married June 6, 1763, Catherine Wright. Their son, Thomas, born November 4, 1784, died April 6, 1853, married as his third wife, July 18, 1812, Susan Henrietta Williamson, born in 1777, died July 19, 1866, and they were the parents of Harriet Matilda Spencer, aforementioned as the wife of Elisha R. Codwise.

(VI) Edward Bertie Codwise, son of Elisha Rogers and Harriet Matilda Spencer (Salter) Codwise, was born May 9, 1849, died February 11, 1927. He married, March 28, 1872, Emma Snyder, born March 28, 1848, died February 22, 1924, and among their children was George Wallace , of whom further.

(VII) George Wallace Codwise, son of Edward B. and Emma (Snyder) Codwise, was born September 29, 1887, entered the civil engineering course at the Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute, having prepared at the Kingston Academy and at the Brooklyn Polytechnic Preparatory School. Returning to Kingston he became associated with his father, who through the many years of his active career made a record of conspicuous achievements in his profession of a civil engineer.

From January 1, 1914, to December 31, 1915m he was city engineer of Kingston, and from 1916 to 1923, excepting the period given to military service, he was confidential assistant State engineer for New York State. He was commissioned ensign in the Civil Engineer Corps, Untied states Naval Reserve Force, on May 29, 1918, by President Wilson, and later attained the rank of lieutenant, junior grade, and was assigned to the Naval Operating Base at Hampton Roads, Virginia, in charge of the construction work at the base. He was released from active duty in December, 1918, although still maintaining his enrollment as a member of the Naval Reserve Force. From January 1, 1923, to December 31, 1923, he was assistant manager of the American Meter Company at its Albany plant. On January 1, 1924, he returned to Kingston to resume private practice as a civil engineer, Mr. Codwise also handles a complete line of construction and industrial equipment. On January 1, 1928, he was again appointed city engineer of Kingston. In his political faith Mr. Codwise is a Republican, and his affiliation is with the First Dutch Reformed Church.

While a student at the Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute, he became a member of the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity, and he is also a member of the New York Alumni association of Phi Kappa

Page 41

Psi, the Kingston Club, the Fort Orange Club of Albany, and the Twaalfskill Club, Kingston.

On January 13, 1913, George Wallace Codwise married Anna Hasbrouck, daughter of Gilbert D. B. Hasbrouck, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, appellate Division, Third Department, and of Julia (Munn) Hasbrouck.

TIMOTHY SHALER WILLIAMS

Sometimes when a man has long dreamed of days that are all playtime, he becomes so engrossed in business that he forgets to take advantage of what is his and so fails to realize the dream of his early days. Not so with Colonel Timothy S. Williams, of Huntington, Long Island. He enjoys his well-earned playtime in the midst of most beautiful surroundings of his own planning, where he makes welcome birds and animals, as well as his human friends. Wile Mr. Williams has spent many years in solving the greatly complicated problems of transportation in the metropolis, while president of the Brooklyn Rapid Transit company, he has maintained a love for the finer things in life, and in his retirement from active business he has shown a wisdom conspicuous for being unusual in that he now enjoys true recreation, and not a dilatory restlessness often seen in those who voluntarily bring a strenuous life to a stop.

Mr. Williams is the son of Howard C. and Frances (Grant) Williams. On his paternal side his ancestors were English and on his maternal side he is of Scotch-Irish stock. Through his father he traces his ancestry to the second wife of Governor Bradford of Plymouth, and through his mother he traces it to Matthew Grant who came to Dorchester, Massachusetts, in 1630, and afterwards was among the first settlers of Windsor, Connecticut, where he held many positions, being for many years town clerk and principal town surveyor and also a prominent member of the church. This is the same Grant family through which General U. S. Grant's ancestry is traced. Mr. and Mrs. Howard C. Williams made their home in Ithaca, New York, where they were well known in that section of the State.

Timothy Shaler Williams was born at Ithaca, New York, on august 1, 1862. He grew up in Ithaca where he attended the public schools and then entered Cornell University, graduating from that institution in 1884 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Then, a young man of twenty-two, he arrived in New York City to seek his fortune. He began his business career as a newspaper reporter on the old "Commercial Advertiser." He kept in close touch with State politics and before much time has elapsed, he was promoted to the position of Albany correspondent. During the time he was in Albany, he made many friends among the influential men whom he met there, and was greatly liked and highly respected by all with whom he came into contact. He was recalled from Albany to be city editor of his paper and later was made Washington correspondent. In the National Capital he had unusual opportunities by which to enlarge his knowledge of men and affairs and increasing his reputation as a writer on political matters. He finally became one of the editorial writers of the new York "Commercial Advertiser." He gave up his newspaper career to become private secretary to governor Hill and was retained by Governor Hill's successor, governor flower, in the same capacity.

This was the great turning point in his business career. When Governor flower retired from the governorship, he began the reconstruction of the Long Island Traction company, out of which grew the Brooklyn Rapid Transit. In this undertaking, Governor flower took with him Timothy S. Williams, whom he made secretary of the reorganization committee. This was in 1894. A few months later, he was made secretary and treasurer of the Brooklyn Heights Railroad , and when Brooklyn Rapid Transit company was organized he was made a director and also given the office of secretary and treasurer of that organization. In 1901 he was made vice-president of the company, filling that office acceptably for a period of ten years, at the end of which time, 1911, he was elected to the office of president. He held this position until the time of his retirement from railroad business in 1920. Mr. Williams' connection with the Brooklyn Rapid Transit system was particularly signalized by the successful prosecution of litigation instituted by a constituent company against a lessor company, namely: the Brooklyn City Railroad Company. Soon after Mr. Williams became secretary and treasurer of the transit company, he investigated some of the former accounts of the system and believed he had discovered an obligation on the part of the Brooklyn City Railroad Company, which had been leased for nine hundred and ninety-nine year to the Brooklyn Heights Railroad Company, to pay it approximately two million dollars (of which the present Secretary of State, Frank B. Kellogg, was one) and

Page 42

the prosecution of the claim resulted in a judgment, which was said to have been the largest ever entered in the Brooklyn courts. The amount was something like one million nine hundred thousand dollars of principal and one million six hundred thousand dollars of accrued interest. There was some question about the interest, and the case was finally settled with the payment by the Brooklyn City Railroad Company to the Brooklyn Heights Railroad Company of about one million six hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Mr. Williams, as an officer of the Brooklyn Rapid Transit system, also took a prominent part in the consolidation of the local railroads then not a part of the system, namely, the former Sea Beach Railroad Company, Sea View Railroad Company, Brighton Beach Railroad Company, the Brooklyn Elevated Railroad Company, the Kings County Elevated Railroad Company, and the Coney Island & Brooklyn Railroad Company. These consolidations were remarkable in the fact that they were accomplished entirely by the exchange of stock, and not only did not add any burden of fixed charge for interest to be paid by the public, but were accompanied by a reduction of fixed charge on the properties acquired of a very large amount of money annually. Immediately after becoming president of the system in 1911, Mr. Williams took an active part in the subway question then agitating the local authorities and, as a result of his efforts, succeeded in getting for his system a valuable subway entrance into and through Manhattan. This was incorporated into so-called "dual system contracts," which have given new York and its adjacent boroughs the most elaborate and expensive system of transportation in the world. In 1918, the Brooklyn Rapid Transit system went into the hands of a receiver and Mr. Williams remained to assist the receiver, Judge Garrison, until 1920, when he resigned. Since then he has given up all business activities, enjoying his books, having an unusually attractive library, and his shrubs on his farm, which is situated at Cold Spring Harbor in the newly created village of Lloyd Harbor, town of Huntington, Suffolk County, Long Island. He is interested in this village, and a member of the board of trustees. Some time after his retirement from active business, he assisted in the organization of the Long Island Biological Association, of which he was president from the time of its organization until the latter part of 1926, when he resigned on account of ill health. he still remains a director and a member of the executive committee. He has held a place on the directorate of numerous business enterprises and for several years was vice-president and then president of the Sultepec (Mexico) Electric Light & Power Company.

In 1895, Timothy Shaler Williams married Mrs. Alice (Williams) Kelley, daughter of the late Chancey P Williams, of Albany, New York.

THOMAS HAMPSON JONES, D. D. S.

The American ancestry of Thomas Hampson Jones dates back something over a century, to the day in 1823 when Henrie Jones landed on these shores from Wales and settled in Watervliet, New York, where his descendants have since made their homes. Here the subject of this brief history was born, on February 21, 1895, son of Elmaris Lester and Ida R. (Hampson) Jones, whose paternal ancestor came to America from Lancaster, England, in 1825, and settled in Yonkers, where he became a very successful hat manufacturer. The parents of Dr. Jones, both of whom have now passed away, were well known in Watervliet; his father being occupied as an interior decorator, and his mother as a real estate broker. During the Civil War, Emaris Lester Jones, too young to enter the Army, worked to aid the Union cause as a saddlemaker and shell-loader in the Watervliet Arsenal. Later, he became a country leader in the Republican party, and held a prominent position for many years. through his paternal grandmother, Nancy Holtenhouse, Mr. Jones traces his line in direct descent from a soldier in the Colonial Army during the War of the American Revolution.

Graduating from the Troy Academy, Thomas Hampson Jones entered the College of Dentistry of the University of Illinois at Chicago, taking his diploma as a Doctor of Dental Surgery from that institution in 1924. For a time he enjoyed the unusual advantage of working with Dr. John B. Ladu, internationally known dentist, of Chicago. He also continued his studies and research work as an under-graduate student at Columbia University, University of Buffalo, and the New York Post-Graduate Medical college and Hospital. In 1925 he began his private practice in Kingston, where he has since been actively engaged in his profession. In 1912 he enlisted at Troy as a member of the New York National guard. He enlisted in the Untied Sates Army at Fort Porter, Buffalo, on December 12, 1917. He was assigned to the dental corps at Camp Meade,

Page 43

Maryland, and did duty as hospital sergeant until he received his honorable discharge on November 21, 1919. Dr. Jones holds his fraternal relations with Evening Star Lodge, No. 75, Free and Accepted Masons, of Watervliet. His political affiliations are with the Republican party.

On December 23, 1923, Thomas Hampson Jones married Mildred E. Eichmeier, daughter of Herman and Minnie (Chase) Eichmeier, of Spencer, Iowa. Mrs. Jones studied music at the Auditorium Conservatory, of Chicago, taking the degree Bachelor of science in Music. To Dr. and Mrs. Jones, a son, Thomas Hampson Jones, Jr., was born, on December 13, 1926. The family attend the Old Dutch Reformed Church.

WILLIAM R. KRAFT

As a well-known and hustling business man, William R. Kraft, of Kingston, manager of the late Charles F. Gray Estate, is highly esteemed throughout the county by the friends he had made of his customers through many years of contacts with farmers and others who have done business with him. He is the son of John and Mary Stella (Story) Kraft. His father is the owner of a creamery, and served as captain in the New York National Guard for sixteen years. He was mayor of Kingston in 1890 and has served as chairman of the Democratic County Committee and as a member of the Democratic State Committee. He was State civil Service commissioner for fourteen years.

William R. Kraft was born at Kingston, on August 18, 1890. He was educated in the public schools of Kingston and at the Virginia Military Institute, at Lexington, Virginia, from where he was graduated in 1912. He is a Democrat in politics and was minority candidate twice for the Assembly. He is chairman of the Democratic County Committee. In 1916 he entered the regular Army as a second lieutenant, after an examination, from civil life. He was stationed at Madison Barracks when the war started, and helped to conduct the first officers' training camp. He was made a first lieutenant at Camp Dix. He was sent overseas in April, 1918, was first at Gravesend, and then was sent to Calais, France. he was attached to the British Army for three months, doing service at Ypres and at Arras, after which he returned to the 78th Division and was made a captain. He was in battles at St. Mihiel and in the Vimy sector. Later, in the Argonne, he was made regimental adjutant of the 309th Infantry, 78th division. He remained in the Argonne until the Armistice and returned to the Untied States in July, 1919, with the rank of captain at the time of his honorable discharge. He is a member of the Kingston Club; Kingston Lodge, No. 10, Free and Accepted Masons, Rondout Commandery, Knights Templar; Kappa Alpha Fraternity at the Virginia Military Institute; Twaalfskill Golf Club; the Military Order of the Foreign Service, and he is a member of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Kraft has been associated with the business of which he is now manager for twelve years. For thirty years Charles f. Gray carried on a business dealing in feed, heavy wagons, and, later, motor trucks. When he died in 1924, Mr. Kraft was made manager for the estate, and since that time automobiles have been added to the list of commodities.

On June 14, 1916, William R. Kraft married Florence Gray, daughter of the late Charles F. Gray. They have one child: William R., Jr.

Henry KOHL

Among the men who have been brought up in Orange County, and where they have continued to live and conduct their various business enterprises, none is more outstanding than Henry Kohl, the distinguished attorney, who has made for himself a place of prestige in this community.

Mr. Kohl was born at Middle Hope, Orange County, New York, on September 27, 1871. He is the son of the late Valentine Kohl, who was a merchant in Newburgh, and of Mary A. Kohl, who died January 6, 1926, at the age of ninety. Henry Kohl was educated in the district school of Middle Hope, and studied law in the office of Judge A. H. F. Seeger, of Newburgh. He was admitted tot he bar in May, 1894, and has continued in the practice of law ever since. for five years he was associated with Judge Seeger. In 1899 he left that association and formed a partnership with Addison C. Ormsbee , under the name of Ormsbee and Kohl. After a year this partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Kohl practiced independently until 1907, when he went into a partnership with Benjamin McClung, doing business under the name of McClung and Kohl. This partnership lasted until 1912,. When Mr. Kohl again engaged in independent practice, which he has continued ever since. He was corporation counsel for the city of Newburgh from 1908 to 1912. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the New York Bar association; Hudson River Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Highland Chapter, Royal

Page 44

Arch Masons, Newburgh Commandery, Knight Templar. He is also a member of the Lodge No. 247, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of Newburgh, and was District Deputy Grand Exalted Ruler of the Grand Lodge of Elks in 1921 and 1922. He is a member of the Newburgh City Club, the Powelton Country Club, and of other organizations.

On September 23, 1894, in Newburgh, Henry Kohl married Elizabeth N. McMillan, daughter of Archibald McMillan of Newburgh. They have one child, Albert Seeger Kohl, who was born August 7, 1895; served in the United States Navy, destroyer service, during the World War, with the rank of lieutenant. He was a student at Lafayette college, when the war broke out, and took the extension course at the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, and this work was added to his credit at Lafayette college, from which institution he received his degree. He is now conducting an importing and exporting business in New York City.

CLARENCE E. MULLENS, M. D.

The military strain which Dr. Clarence E. Mullens. Of Albany, one of the foremost surgeons in New York State, inherited from his father, a veteran of the Civil War and colonel of a regiment in the New York National Guard, found expression during the World War, when as commander of a field hospital in France with the rank of captain he accomplished invaluable service in alleviating the sufferings of the sick and wounded soldiers and helping them, in many cases, to resume their places as effectives among the troops at the front. This parenthesis, always held to be the most important of his career, was preceded and followed by a period of practice in his home city by which he had attained prominence not only in that vicinage, but also throughout the Commonwealth.

Born in Albany, New York, June 11, 1889, Dr. Clarence E. Mullens is he son of Colonel John W., and Mary (Coyle) Mullens. His father, who died in 1914, was engaged in the manufacture of harness ornaments. As a young man he enlisted for the Civil War and served efficiently as a private, even in that humble station acquiring a knowledge of military science that was remarkable in one of his years. This he was to employ in a distinguished manner later in life, for in due time he was selected colonel of the 10th Regiment, national guard of New York. He was a most admirable officer and of soldierly bearing and qualities. The son Clarence passed with commendable record through the grammar and high schools of his city. He had early resolved to become a physician and surgeon, and with that purpose made known, entered the Albany Medical College. He was graduated in the class of 1912 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, and at once entered the service of two years as interne at the Albany Memorial Hospital. He is attending surgeon at the Memorial Hospital, Albany, New York. Subsequently he tool post-graduate work in courses in medicine and surgery at the principal clinics in European medical centers.

In 1914 Dr. Mullens, having returned to Albany, commenced practice as a surgeon in the city of his birth. He was on the fairway of sustained success in his profession when the United States Government made its urgent call for doctors for service on the fields of France. The year 1917 found him commissioned as captain and in command of a field hospital in the theater of war. Mustered out with honors, he returned to America, and resumed the practice which he had temporarily abandoned when he went overseas on his patriotic service.

Dr. Mullens' political alliance is with the Republican party. His fraternal affiliation is with the Free and Accepted Masons, in all the bodies of that order, inclusive of the thirty-second Scottish Rite degree and the Shrine. His professional associations are embraced in the Albany County Medial Society, the New York State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association. In club life he is identified with the Fort Orange County and Albany County clubs, the University of Albany and the University Club of Boston, Massachusetts. He is a member of the Sons of Veterans of the Civil War, Veterans of Foreign Wars, the American Legion of Fort Orange Post of Albany. His favorite recreations are hunting and fishing and outdoor sports.

Dr. Mullens married, November 23, 1914, Mary A. Slingerland, and they are the parents of two children: Robert S., aged ten years (1926), and Betsey Andrews, nine (1926).

JOHN Henry QUINLAN

In both specific and general ways, few citizens of Newburgh have been more actively associated with the advancement of this community than John Henry Quinlan, whose affiliations with the civic, social and business interests of this old township have always been vitally constructive. He is of a long established New York State family, has given to Newburgh the best of his business thought and experience, and is rightly accounted one of the foremost of the

Page 45

insurance and life underwriting men of the country.

John Henry Quinlan was born Deceiver 24, 1852, in Monticello, Sullivan county, a son of James Eldridge and Amanda (Baker) Quinlan, and descendent of Dr. Thomas Quinlan, first of the Quinlan line to come to the United States. Dr. Thomas Quinlan, who was born in 1745, in Waterford County, Ireland, first bought land at the "Academy," probably where Johns Hopkins University is located, at Baltimore, Maryland, became a physician, practiced at Cape Cod, and died at Woodstock, Ulster County, September 2, 1815. Members of this branch of the family have been protestants for five known generations.

James Eldridge Quinlan, John Henry Quinlan's father, was born February 23, 1818, at Shandaken, Ulster county, and died at Monticello, May 14, 1874. He was a prominent editor and writer, was owner of the "Republican Watchman" for twenty-nine years, and was one of the founders of this Democratic newspaper of Monticello. The way to public office was open to him, but he never desired to enter upon the political field, preferring that of history. He was historian of Sullivan county, having published a county history in 1873, which is regarded as his crowning achievement. In 1851, he wrote, and was himself the publisher, of the work, "Tom Quick, the Indian Slayer," a rare book now, that collectors consider to be worth one hundred dollars a copy. James Eldridge Quinlan married, April 6, 1842, at Westport, Connecticut, Amanda Baker, who died April 17, 1896. They were the parents of nine children.

John Henry Quinlan, who was graduated at Monticello Academy, in 1867, came to Newburgh, November 18, that year, where he began to engage in the hardware business, which he continued until 1886. It was then that he started out upon his life-work in insurance, when he was given the agency for the North-western Mutual Life Company, that he held for twenty-three years. he was then, for six years, district manager of the Mutual Life Insurance Company, of New York; and for thirty years general agent for the United States Casualty Company. He has held the office of vice-president of the National Life Underwriters' Association.

Prominent in Democratic interests, in 1892, Mr. Quinlan was a candidate for mayor of Newburgh; but since 1907, he has been a Republican. He has also served as a member of the board of Health. he served for three years as secretary of the Newburgh Chamber of Commerce; he was secretary of the fiftieth anniversary celebration of Newburgh as a city; he is chairman of the house committee of the Newburgh City Club, and a member of the Masonic Club. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the Free and Accepted Masons; Royal Arch Masons; Knights Templar; Past President of the Wilbur H. Weston Shriners' Association; member of Mecca Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is senior warden and treasurer of St. George's Protestant Episcopal Church, and treasurer of the Archdeaconry of the Hudson.

John Henry Quinlan married, February 15, 1882, at Grace Protestant Episcopal Church, St. Louis, Missouri, Fanny M. Jones, who died January 17, 1924, at Newburgh, daughter of Major John W. Jones, of the Confederate Army, and of Hattie E. (Boswell) Jones. Mrs. Quinlan, a writer of talent, was of the famous Byrd family of Virginia, of which Commander Byrd was a scion. The children of John Henry and Fanny M (Jones) Quinlan: 1. Walter Barclay, born January 5, 1883, died February 24, 1922; married Janet Waite, of New York; and they had a daughter, Grace Waite, born May 18, 1922, after her father's death. 2. John Henry, Jr., born April 25, 1886. 3. Frances Matilda, born May 14, 1888; married Edmund Quincy, and resides in Cleveland, Ohio, and they have three children: Frances Byrd Quincy, born May 25, 1914; Edmund Quincy (2), born May 28, 1918; John Adams Quincy, born December 19, 1919.

 

The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie Axtman

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.

2004

[Index][Book Index][NY][AHGP]