The History of New York State
Book XI, Chapter II
Part XVI

Editor, Dr. James Sullivan

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam

 

SHRINES OF THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR.

The sons and daughter of New York have done much to mark with monument and tablet the spots and buildings of historic significance in the War of the Independence, and the burial places of the men and women of prominence in that struggle. In this worthy work the patriotic and historical societies and religious and civic bodies have taken the lead and deserve the tanks of the public for their zeal.

Much still remains to be done in saving sites and buildings, and in erecting markers before the Empire State takes rank with the commonwealths of New England and the South in the preservation of its noble past.

It is hoped that during the Sesquicentennial every community will do something to complete the work so well started. The State now encourages local efforts by financial support. The following list is incomplete and many of the places mentioned are unmarked. Our citizens should be urged to visit these spots and thus inform themselves more fully about our history.

 

SHRINES OF THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR.

Albany County

.
. Albany Schuyler Mansion.
Colonel Marinus Willett Boulder and Tablet
General Phillip Schuyler Monument
Links of old chain that spanned Hudson River during Revolution in State Education building
Picture of Governor George Clinton in Capitol
.

Cohoes County

.
. .

Van Schaick mansion on Van Schaick's Island, headquarters of General Schuyler during Burgoyne's campaign

Broome County

Endicott

Monument commemorating union of forces of General Sullivan under Clinton and Poor, August, 1779

Chautauqua County

Jamestown

Tablet marking station of British regiment, 1782

..

Sherman

Monument to wars of 1776, 1812, and 1861-65, erected 1913

Chemung County

Ashland

Granite shaft to Major General John Sullivan (Near Lowman)

.

Elmira

Site of Fort Reed, important fort on March of the Sullivan expedition in 1779

.. ..

Newtown Battle Reservation (extends into town of Ashland)

.

Millport

Memorial in honor of Major General John Sullivan. On a pinnacle near this site the Movable Lodge of Free Masons connected with the army of Major General John Sullivan of New Hampshire, held a communication under a large oak tree, while on a military expedition against the Six nations of Indians, in the year 1779, after which event this lodge derived its name.

Chenango County

New Berlin

Boulder in memory of three scouts killed on the estate of Percefer Carr by Brant's Indians, September,. 1778 (erected by Colonel Israel Angell Chapter, D. A. R., 1914.

 

Sherburne

Grave of Colonel William Smith, aide-de-camp to Generals Sullivan and Washington

.

Smyrna

Monument to Colonel William Smith

Clinton County

Valcour Island

The Battle of Valcour was fought off the shore of Valcour Island on October 11, 1776. Arnold's flagship, "The Royal Savage," was sunk and the wreck at the bottom of the lake is still visible through the clear water.

Delaware County

Franklin

Monument in memory of Revolutionary soldiers

.

Sidney

Brant-Herkimer meeting place

Dutchess County

Amenia

Bump House where Lafayette and other officers dined.

. .

Old log prison of Revolutionary days

.

Beacon

Shaft erected on Mount Beacon to commemorate the burning of beacon fires in Revolutionary times (Melzingah Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Boulder and flag pole were placed on the Old Post Road to call attention to the redoubts erected in Revolutionary times to repel the British who were expected to march up that road (Melzingah Chapter D. A. R.)

. .

Tablet on the Old Star Mill, rebuilt by Washington's soldiers after being destroyed by fire.(Melzingah Chapter, D. A. R.)

.

Fishkill

During the Revolution the old Dutch Reformed Church, built in 1731, was used as a prison by the continental officers. It is from this prison that Harvey Birch, Cooper's "Spy," escaped. Used in 1775 by Provincial Congress.

. .

The Verplanck House, where the society of the Cincinnati was founded.

. .

The Wharton House, headquarters of officers in the Revolution, is still be seen a little south of the village.

. .

Trinity Church was used in 1776 for sessions of New York Provincial Convention and later as a hospital

.

Poughkeepsie

Bronze tablet erected on walls of the Governor George Clinton House (Mahwenawasigh Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Bronze tablet to mark the site of the courthouse in which the Constitution of the Untied States was ratified on July 26, 1788. (Mahwenawasigh Chapter, D. A. R.)

Essex County

Crown Point

Crown point Reservation-Ruins of Fort

.

Ticonderoga

Fort Ticonderoga, erected by the French in 1755, and called Fort Carillon. Captured by the British in 1759 and taken from them in 1775 by Ethan Allen. The Americans evacuated the fort in 1777 and it was held by the English until Burgoyne's surrender when it was dismantled.

. .

Tablet commemorating capture by Ethan Allen

. .

Old Fort Ticonderoga (Historical Museum.)

. .

Monument in memory of Isaac Rice, Scout of the Revolution.

. .

Replica of John Hancock House (Headquarters of New York State Historical Association.)

. .

Marker on South Main Street, near Battery Street, is inscribed: "From this point south this street follows the route of the Indian Carry between the lakes, and of Montcalm's Military Road traversed by Washington and Franklin during the Revolution." (Ticonderago Chapter, D. A. R.)

Fulton County

Johnstown

The Sir William Johnson mansion and Blockhouse.

. .

Tomb of Sir William Johnson.

. .

Courthouse, built 1772.

. .

Blackhorse Tavern

. .

Old Drum House

. .

Boulder with bronze tablet with inscription to mark the site of the last battle of he Revolution (Johnstown Chapter, D. A. R.)

Herkimer County

Danube

Herkimer Homestead, including house, burying ground, and monument.,

.

Frankfort

Marker indicating the route from General Herkimer House to Oriskany battlefield (Colonel Marinus Willett Chapter, D. A. R.)

.

Herkimer

Statue to General Herkimer

. .

Old Stone church, 1779.

. .

Marker on General Nicholas Herkimer route to Oriskany (General Nicholas Herkimer Chapter, D. A. R.)

.

Ilion

Granite and bronze marker at the bivouac ground of General Herkimer and his men. This is placed along the old trail from the Herkimer Homestead to Oriskany Monument (Mohawk Valley Chapter, D. A. R.)

.

Little Falls

Bronze tablet, placed on Fort Herkimer church to mark the site of the old fort (Astenrogen Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Monument at Shell's Bush in memory of John Christian Shell, his wife and sons, who, on august 6, 1781, defended the Block House from an Indian attack (Astenrogen Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Granite boulder and bronze tablet on the General Herkimer route to Oriskany (Astenrogen Chapter, D. A. R.)

.

Warren

Boulder in memory of Andruston massacre, July 18, 1778.

Jefferson County

Fort Carleton

On Carleton or Buck's Island, near Cape Vincent, captured in 1778.

Montgomery County

Amsterdam

Guy Park House

.

Canajoharie

Van Alstyne House

. .

Fountain in Wagner Square to mark the northeastern terminal of the Continental road constructed under the supervision of General Clinton to Otsego Lake, June 17, 1779. (Fort Rensselaer Chapter, D. A. R.)

.

Fonda

Monument onsite of old historic Dutch Church of Caughnawaga, Schuyler's encampment. January 18, 1777 (Caughnawaga Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Site of Liberty Pole.

.

Fort Plain

Boulder to Revolutionary Soldiers

.  

Fort Plain (Fort Rensselaer)

.

Nelliston

Old Ehle House.

.

Palatine

Colonel John Brown Monument.

.

St. Johnsville

Site of Battle of Klock's Field, 1780.

. .

Marker on the General Herkimer route from his homestead to Oriskany battlefield (Caughnawaga, Henderson and St. Johnsville Chapters, D. A. R.)

New York City (Greater)

Borough of Bronx

Tablet to commemorate battle of Pell's Point, Pelham Park.

. .

Westchester Creek Causeway--"Westchester Lexington."

. .

Redoubt thrown up by continental troops under General Heath, to command the crossing of the Bronx River at Williams-bridge (Woodlawn Cemetery)

.

Borough of Kings (Brooklyn)

Tablet on Smith-Gray Building, corner of Fulton Street and Flatbush Avenue, to mark the line of defense in the battle of Long Island "from the Wallabout to the Gowanus."

. .

Martyr's Monument and Tomb erected in memory of those who perished on the prison ships of the British in Wallabout Bay during the Revolution.

. .

Battle Pass Tablets (2) serve to mark Valley Grove, the outer line of defense in the battle of Long Island.

. .

Maryland Monument, erected in honor of "Maryland's Four Hundred."

. .

Lafayette Monument.

. .

Boulder and marker at Shore road and Fort Hamilton parkway.

. .

The Alter of Liberty on Battle Hill, erected to mark the spot where the opening engagement in the battle of Long Island was fought.

. .

Tablet showing where General Nathaniel Woodhull died.

. .

Bronze tablet on the site of old Fort Stirling at Columbia heights and Clarke Street (Fort Greene Chapter, D. A. R.)

.

Borough of Manhattan

Fraunces' Tavern, Broad and Pearl streets

. .

Statue of Nathan Hale, near City Hall (S. R.)

. .

Morris-Jumel Mansion, 160th Street.

. .

Statues of Washington

. .

Statues of Franklin

. .

Marinus Willett Tablet, Broad and Beaver (S. R.)

. .

Tablet marking landing of Washington, West Street.

. .

City Hall Tablet

. .

Kennedy House Tablet, marking the site where Declaration of Independence was read to Washington's army on July 9, 1776.

. .

Tablet marking battle of Harlem Heights (Knickerbocker chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Tablet marking site of Fort Independence

. .

Tablet marking action at Kip's Bay. September 15, 1776

. .

General Montgomery Monument, St. Paul's churchyard.

. .

Fort Washington Monument (Fort Washington Avenue, near 183rd. Street)

. .

Redoubt erected by American Troops, October, 1776, directed by Imbert, a French engineer (Fort Washington Park)

. .

Site of headquarters of General Heath, (Century House), near bank of Harlem River at 213th. Street.

. .

Jeffrey's Hook (Fort Washington Park) the place from which ships were sunk in the Hudson in an attempt to obstruct the passage of the British fleet in 1776. Here Washington crossed to and from Fort Lee.

. .

Granite Boulder with bronze tablet to mark the gallant defense of Laurel Hill by Colonel William Baxter on November 16, 1776 (Manhattan Chapter, D. A. R. )

. .

Tablet on a granite pillar in City Hall Park hear the site of the old Hall of Records, which was used by the British as a prison for American patriots during the Revolution (Mary Washington Colonial Chapter, D. A. R. )

. .

Tablet to the memory of Margaret Corbin, heroine of the battle of Fort Washington (Mary Washington Colonial Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Tablet marking the site of Whitehall Ferry from which Washington embarked after bidding farewell to his officers at Faunces' Tavern (Mary Washington Colonial Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Tablet placed on Sulzberger Building to honor Captain Nathan Hale. This site was where the British commander-general, Sir William Howe, had his artillery grounds; also where Nathan Hale was executed on September 22, 1776 (Mary Washington Colonial Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Washington's headquarters on Washington Heights.

. .

Military hut on the Revolution in Dyckman House Park

. .

McGown's Pass Tavern, Central Park

. .

Tablet on Putnam building to commemorate the meeting of Washington and Putnam at this point on September 15, 1776.

. .

Montgomery Tablet in St. Paul's Chapel, oldest church in Manhattan, on lower Broadway.

. .

Tablet marking line of Defense, September, 1776.

. .

Tablet marking American Encampment, 1776.

. .

Richmond Hill Mansion Tablet

. .

Liberty Pole tablet, New York Postoffice (Mary Washington Colonial D. A. R.)

. .

Steuben Monument, German Reform Church, 68th. Street.

. .

Fort George Hill, 192nd. Street.

. .

Fort George monument on Battery.

. .

Tablet marking first line of American intrenchmenet, Broadway, between 147th and 148th streets

. .

Tablet marking second line of American intrenchment, Broadway and 133rd streets,

. .

Tablet marking third line of American intrenchment, Broadway and 159th streets

. .

Tablet on wall of Chapel of the Intercession, within Trinity Cemetery East, records the erection of redoubts and defenses in 1776 (Washington heights Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Site of American encampment west side of Broadway, between 168th and 169th streets. Later the Hessians occupied the same spot.

.

Borough of Richmond (Staten Island)

Tablet on St. Andrews church to commemorate the engagement fought between the patriots and the British on the ground where this church now stands (Richmond County Chapter, D. A. R. )

. .

Mesereau tablet

. .

Billop House (conciliation Conference House)

Niagara County

Fort Niagara

At the mouth of the Niagara River

Oneida County

Clinton

Monument of Alexander Hamilton

.

Oriskany

Oriskany Battlefield, where the Americans, under General Nicholas Herkimer, turned back the Brutish, Loyalists, and Indians. An important battle in the fight for the control of the Hudson River.

. .

Oriskany monument

. .

Marker placed on or near the spot where General Herkimer sat after he was wounded and directed the battle. This is the last of the fourteen markers erected along the route taken by General Herkimer and his Mohawk Valley men on their way to relieve Fort Stanwix (Oriskany Chapter, D. A. R.; sons Oriskany assisted.)

.

Remsen

Tomb of Baron Steuben.

.

Rome

Fort Stanwix: This fort was strongly built but was found untenable at the beginning of the Revolution. It was rebuilt and for a time called Fort Schuyler, in honor of General Philip Schuyler. The fort, under Colonel Gansevoort, was besieged at the same time that the battle of Oriskany was being fought. (Fort Stanwix Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Tablet at Carrying Place (Oneida Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Fort Bull Monument.

. .

Monument to General Peter Gansevoort

.

Steuben

Monument to General Steuben

.

Utica

Marker on site of Old Fort Schuyler.

. .

Marker to General Herkimer on Whiteboro Street

. .

Marker commemorating visit of Lafayette

 

The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie Axtman

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.

2004

[Index][Book Index][NY][AHGP]