The History of New York State
Book XI, Chapter II
Part XVII

Editor, Dr. James Sullivan

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam

 

SHRINES OF THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR CONT'D

. .

Granite and bronze memorials marking the General Herkimer march through Mohawk Valley to the Battlefield of Oriskany. Placed near the site of the "Great Ford of the Mohawk" and on the route which General Herkimer and his army used. (Oneida Chapter D. A. R.)

.

Whitesboro

Monument on General Herkimer's route to battle of Oriskany at the bivouac of the advance guard, night before the battle (Oneida Chapter, D. A. R. )

Ontario County

Canandaigua

Boulder monument to Sullivan's expedition, 1779.

..

Fort Clinton

Captured by the British in 1777 together with Fort Montgomery, though the river was barred by the famous iron chain.

..

Fort Montgomery

Captured by the British in 1777. The British crossed the river at King's Ferry in a morning fog and went over the Dunderberg Mountain by a road shown to British sympathizers.

..

Goshen

Monument commemorating battle of Minisink, July 20 and 22, 1779.

  .

Boulder three miles south of Goshen where beacon fires were lighted to notify the local militia of the approach of the British and to summon them to the appointed rendezvous (Minisink Chapter, D. A. R. )

.

Highland

Old Forge, where chain that spanned Hudson was forged.

.

Newburgh

Temple Hill monument on site of continental camps, 1782-83.

. .

Home of Jonathan Hasbrouck which was for some time the headquarters of Washington. In this house, 1782, Washington refused, for the "national advantage," the offer of a crown. Here, in 1783, Washington received new of cessation of hostilities, and signal fires were lighted on surrounding peaks.

. .

Tower of Victory

. .

Boulder marking the site of Brewster Forge at Moodna, where, during the Revolution, were made a considerable portion of the chains that were used to obstruct the navigation of the Hudson river at Fort Montgomery and West Point (Quassaick Chapter, D. A. R.)

.

New Windsor

Knox's headquarters.

. .

Headquarters of Washington in 1779 and again in 1780. Here were arranged the details of the campaign of 1781 ending with Yorktown.

.

Warwick

Sterling Lake, Tablet marking Sterling furnace. Anchors and steel were manufactured here during the Revolution. Part of the chain that spanned the Hudson during Revolution was also made here.

. .

Old Stone Tavern, erected 1766, by Francis Baird. General Washington entertained here, July 27, 1782.

.

West Point

Kosciusko Monument and Garden.

  .

Forts Clinton and Putnam.

  .

Links of iron chain.

. .

Grave of Margaret Corbin, with marker (State Society, D. A. R. )

Oswego County

Mexico

Spy island--monument to Silas town, an American Revolutionary Spy.

.

Oswego

Montcalm Park

. .

Boulder with tablet to mark the site of Fort George, the second fort built at Oswego (Fort Oswego Chapter, D. A. R.)

Otsego County

Cherry Valley

Devastated by Indian massacre on November 11, 1778.

. .

Inscription on Brant's Rock (on outside of village), behind which Brant was secreted when he shot Colonel Wormwood (Cherry Valley Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Marker on spot where Colonel Alden fell while trying to regain the fort at the time of the Cherry Valley Massacre (Cherry Valley Chapter, D. A. R.)

.

Cooperstown

Bronze tablet to mark the place where the dam was built during the summer of 1779 by the soldiers under General Clinton to enable them to join the forces of General Sullivan at Tioga. (Otsego Chapter, D. A. R.)

.

East Springfield

Bronze marker commemorating General Clinton's line of march from Canajoharie to Otsego Lake (General James Clinton Chapter, D. A. R. )

.

Oneonta

Boulder commemorating the expedition of General James Clinton whose troops had encamped upon the spot August 11, 1779, on their way down the Susquehanna to join the troops of General John Sullivan (Oneonta Chapter D. A. R.)

.

Springfield

Monument to General Herkimer

Putnam County

Carmel

Monument to Enoch Crosby, patriot spy of the Revolution.

.

Cold Spring

Bronze plaque at New York Central Railroad station commentating Washington's visit.

.

Constitution Island

Ruins of Fort Constitution and other fortifications.

.

Continental village

Marker to Revolutionary Mothers

.

Pollopel's Island

Here a chevaux-de-frise, with iron-pointed spikes thirty feet long, hidden under water and secured by cribs of stone, was stretched across the river during the Revolution.

.

Garrison

Beverly Robinson House

Rensselaer County

North Hoosick

Bennington Battlefield Park (at Walloomsac)

.

Rensselaer

Fort Crailo (Yankee Doodle House)

Rockland County

Bear Mountain Park

Hessian Pond, sometimes called Bloody Pond.

.

Haverstraw

Tablet marking Arnold-Andre meeting place.

. .

King's Ferry tablet

. .

Smith House or Treason House

.

Stony Point

Fort Clinton

. .

Fort Fayette

. .

Stony Point Battlefield Reservation

. .

Memorial Arch

. .

Washington Hill where Washington's headquarters tent was erected, 1781

.

Suffern

Methodist Episcopal Parsonage

.

Tappan

"76" House, where Andre was imprisoned just prior to his execution

  .

Monument marking the spot where Andre was executed

. .

Tappan headquarters, where Washington issued the fatal warrant which condemned Andre to death

Saratoga County

Northumberland (Town)

General John Stark's position, 1777 (Stark's Knob)

.

Saratoga Battlefield in towns of Saratoga and Stillwater

None miles south of Schuyerville, the site of two important battles in the fall of 1777, the second on of which led to General Burgoyne's surrender on October 17th of that year.

. .

Headquarters of General Gates, 1777

. .

Headquarters of General Poor

. .

Powder House restored

. .

Ravine where attempt was made to assassinate Colonel Van Veghten

. .

Marker at site of Bemis Tavern

. .

Monument At Fort Neilson.

.

Schuylerville

Saratoga Battle Monument

. .

Home of General Schuyler

. .

Site of British Camp

. .

Site where Gates and Burgoyne signed articles of capitulation.

. .

Marshall House where Madam Reidesel and other women and children took refuge.

. .

Burgoyne headquarters, 1777

. .

British Army surrender point

. .

Burgoyne Artillery Park

. .

Site of wheat fields burned by Mrs. Schuyler

.

Stillwater

Headquarters of Generals Schuyler and Gates

.

Waterford

Earthworks on Haver (Peoble's) Island thrown up in 1777 as defense against advance of Burgoyne.

Schoharie County

Cobleskill

Boulder marking the site of Fort DuBois, built in 1781, (Captain Christian Brown Chapter, D. A. R. )

. .

Battle of Cobleskill, June 1, 1778

.

Schoharie

Old Stone Fort

. .

Grave and monument of David Williams, one of Andre Captors.

. .

Monument to perpetuate the valor of Colonel Peter Vrooman who defended the fort at the time of the invasion of the valley by Sir John Johnson, October 17, 1780.

Seneca County

Kendaia

Monument to General Sullivan

.

Seneca Falls

Tablet to mark the site of encampment of General Sullivan army, 1779 (Sagoyewatha Chapter, D. A. R. )

. .

Bronze Tablet to the memory of the Revolutionary soldiers and pioneer settlers of Seneca county, also to commemorate Seneca County as part of the military tract assigned to Revolutionary soldiers (Sagoyewatha Chapter, D. A. R. )

Suffolk County

Huntington

Site of Fort Golgatha, occupied by the British

. .

Hunting Village Green on which stood the blockhouse for protection from the Indians. Here the early town meetings were held and militia drilled in Revolutionary times (Ketewamoke Chapter, D. A. R. )

.

Patchogue

Marker on site of Hart's Tavern, visited by George Washington, 1790 (Colonel Josiah Smith Chapter, D. A. R. )

.

Southampton

Site of Revolutionary Fort

Ulster

Hurley

Site of tree where Spy Taylor was hanged.

. .

Old Hotel where Washington stopped

.

Kingston

Senate House

. .

Tappan House

. .

Monument to Governor George Clinton

Warren County

Caldwell

Lake George Battleground Park

. .

Fort George. At the head of Lake George. It was built by General Amherst in 1759 and was captured in 1775 by Colonel Bernard Romans

. .

Battle of Diamond Island, September, 1777, on Lake George.

. .

Site of Fort William Henry

.

Glens Falls

Halfway Brook, famous military halting place

.

Queensbury

Fort Amherst

Washington County

Fort Ann

Battle Hill and site of old forts

.

Fort Edward

Granite monument near the scene of the massacre by the Indians of Jane McCrea on July 27, 1777(Jane McCrea Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Boulder marking the site of old Fort Edward, 1755-80 (Jane McCrea Chapter, D. A. R. )

.

Greenwich

Boulder a mile and a half south of Greenwich inscribed "Old Continental Road over which a detachment of Burgoyne's Army under Colonel Baum passed on its way to Bennington, Vermont, Adjust 13, 1777" (Willard's Mountain Chapter, D. A. R.)

. .

Marker placed on Dix property inscribed, "200 feet north of this bridge is the road cut in the bank by

General Fraser for the crossing of the Hudson by Burgoyne's Army, September 13-14, 1777." (Willard's Mountain Chapter, D. A. R.)

.

White Creek

Site of Baum's skirmish, August 13, 1777.

.

White Hall

Revolutionary and 1812 Barracks

Westchester County

Cortlandt

Teller's Point or Underhill's point. Here the British "Vulture:" put Major Andre ashore at the foot of Mount Tor, below Haverstraw.

.

Debb's Ferry

Livingston House in 1781 was Washington's headquarters. Here he and Count de Rochambeau planned the campaign against Yorktown, and here also the evacuation of New York was arranged by General Clinton and Sir Guy Carleton.

.

Hastings

Her a party of Hessians was surprised and cut to pieces by troops under Colonel Sheldon. From here Lord Cornwallis embarked for Fort Lee, after the fall of Fort Washington.

.

Mount Vernon

St. Paul's church

. .

Eastchester Military Hospital

. .

Marker on Glover's Rock standing on the battleground of Fell's Point (Bronx Chapter, D. A. R. )

. .

In Van Cortlandt Park stands a tablet erected in memory of Chief Ninham and seventeen Stockbridge Indians who fought on the American side(Bronx Chapter, D. A. R. )

.

New Rochelle

Thomas Paine House

.

Peekskill

Fort Independence

. .

Monument to General Seth Pomeroy, (S. A. R. )

. .

Headquarters of Israel Putnam in 1779

. .

Nearby is the old Van Cortlandt house, the residence of Washington for a short time during the Revolution

.

Pelham

Site of Battle of Pell's Point

.

Scarsdale

Bronze marker placed on an old milestone on New York Post Road (White Plains Chapter, D. A. R. )

.

Tarrytown

Monument to captors of Andre

.  

Tablet marking action July 15, 1781

.

White Plains

In the courthouse the Provincial Congress o New York met July 9, 1776, the congress coming from New York on horseback. On that date they received the Declaration of Independence, which was read to the public in front of the courthouse, July 11

. .

Old Fish Homestead, headquarters of General Howe during the battle of White Plains.

. .

Washington's headquarters (Miller House) (White Plains Chapter, D. A. R. )

. .

Granite base on which is placed a mortar used in the Revolution, (White Plains Chapter, D. A. R., assisted by the Village Park Association.)

.

Yonkers

Philipse Manor House

Wyoming County

Perry

Site of farthest western point reached by General Sullivan.

 

 

The History of New York State, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1927

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie Axtman

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.

2004

[Index][Book Index][NY][AHGP]