Our Firemen, The History of the NY Fire Departments
Chapter 37, Part II
By Holice and Debbie
Hose Company No. 3 contributed more men than any fire company in this city to the New York Fire Zouave Regiment when the war broke out. Their number was so reduced by members catching the patriotic fever of the hour and going off to the field of battle for the sake of the Union, that the Common Council considered the advisability of either disbanding the company, or consolidating its remaining members with some other hose company. After the war, however, the members who survived and who served in the Fire Zouave Regiment, belonging to Hose Company 3, came back to their first love, and the company had its existence prolonged, but only for a brief period, for in 1865 the new order of things came into existence.
No. 4. -- Lafayette. -- Marion ("Veto"). -- Lafayette was organized February 5, 1833. It was located at the corner of Delancey and Attorney Streets, and after 1860 at 84 Attorney Street, going out of service in 1865. Among its members were:
John W. Slocum, grocer, foreman (1839)
In 1850 the following officers were elected:
Joseph Buchman, foreman
In 1850 the company had their new carriage built by Van Ness, ornamented in a superb manner. They brought her home from the painter's on the fourth of April, upon which occasion they gave an entertainment to their friends at the carriage house. The running gear was an ultramarine blue, boxes and arch purple, reel carmine, with rich gilt carved work; the wheels had gilt and red stripe. On the front box was a beautiful painting, entitled, "The Spirit of '76." It represented the interior of a farmhouse, and young American was preparing to hasten forward to join his countrymen in arms to resist the tyranny of Great Britain; the family were busily engaged about him in assisting him in his preparations, and taking a fond farewell. On the back box was a splendid illustration of Marion's swamp encampment, and the general inviting the British officer to a dinner of sweet potatoes. On the side panel was an illustration from Washington Irving's "Legend of Rip Van Winkle." The back panel represented Old Rip just as he returned to the village after taking his long nap, clothed in rags with his old rusty firelock in his hand. The designs were the same on both sides. On each side of the reed was a handsome silver-plated shield, with "IV" engraved on it. On the front there were two figures supporting a shield bearing "IV." The tongue was silver-plated, and there was a considerable amount of silver-plating on the carriage. The painting was done by E. Weir, the picture by J. Quidor, and the silver-plating by J. Johnson.
In September, 1850, Marion Hose embarked for Philadelphia. They turned out thirty-six caps, and were accompanied by Dodworth's Band, comprising sixteen pieces. Mr. John P. Lacour, asssitant engineer, acted as marshal. The company looked exceedingly well dress-black pants, red shirts, black belts, and fire caps. Their beautiful carriage was ornamented with two splendid wreaths. They received a true Philadelphia welcome, and were received at Burlington by the Hope Hose company, and a delegation from the Hope Hose Company of Philadelphia, whose guests they were to be, Mr. C. W. Hepburn acting as chairman of the Committee of Arrangements and chief marshal of the Hopes. After an exchange of courtesies on the part of the committee and their guests, Wm. Moran, Esq., received the new Yorkers in a neat speech in the cars at Burlington, welcoming them upon the soil of New Jersey, but more particularly upon the spot made interesting in our history by the landing of Penn. In the "City of Brotherly Love" they were received by the following companies:
Reliance Engine Company
The procession was under the direction of the following gentlemen:
Colonel Thomas B. Florence, chief marshal.
No. 5. -- New York. -- The first New York was organized march 20, 1833, was located in Eldridge Street, near Division, and was disbanded on September 23, 1833. Its foreman was Walter Welsh, with John Peach, assistant.
New York. -- On September 26. 1836, three days after the disbanding of the company of the same name and number, another was organized by the following: T. C. Sherman, Chas. E. Wardell, Carlisle Norwood, A. W. Vanpell, John S. Winthrop, William H. Townsend, A. G. Norwood, Richard K. Anthony, Charles C. Walden, F. W. Macy, Charles P. Williams, Richard Williams, James Daily, Wm. H. Hays, and Eccles Gillender. On October 3, they net at the house of George Wooddredge in Chambers Street, and elected the following officers:
Carlisle Norwood, foreman
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site� Since March 9, 2001.
[Firefighters Index][NY AHGP][NY ALHN]