Our Firemen, The History of the NY Fire Departments
Chapter 37, Part IV
By Holice and Debbie
On Friday, May 28, 1851, the company brought home their new carriage from the painter's. The body was a plum color, the running gear brown, with gilt, red and white stripes. On the reel were two beautiful paintings; on the right panel was a very pretty design, entitled "The Guardian Angels," representing a child slumbering on a couch and an angel leaning over the head of the couch, and another watching at the side. On the left panel an elegant and chaste design, entitled "Repose," representing a group of females reposing under the shade of a cluster of trees. The pictures on the reel encircled by a silver rim, and the outer edge of the reel by rich carved work. On the front box was a large silver place, with "Columbian" neatly engraved on it. On the back box was the presentation of the Firemen's Monument at Greenwood, with the motto, "We Cherish Their Memory." Underneath the front and back boxes were two carved dolphins, richly gilt. On each of the side panels was a large silver figure "9," surrounded by rich carved work. The springs and tongue were polished ina superb manner. The lifters were very handsome, representing a boy shooting marbles. On the lid of the front box was the following unique inscription:
"They who steal our purse steal trash;
The carriage was painted by A. P. Moriarty.
No. 10. -- East River. -- Liberty. -- Organized February 1, 1837; located in Roosevelt Street, and after 1840 at 3 Dover Street; went out of service in 1865. Among the members were Chas. H. Lyons, foreman; Jacob M. Small, assistant; Bartholomew J. Broderick, James Corrigan, Chas. Collins, and Robert Cottrell. At the annual meeting of Liberty Hose, held on Monday evening, May 12, 1851, the following were elected officer for the ensuing year: Thomas Woodward, foreman; William M. Randell, assistant; Thomas L. Thornell, secretary; Joseph Hilton, treasurer; M. Shaffner, steward; George A. Buckingham and James Y. Watkins, Jr., representatives. On May 10, 1852, the following were elected officer for the ensuing year: Thomas Woodward, foreman; William Hagadorn, assistant; Charles L. Brower, secretary; John T. Southwell, treasurer; John Nichols, steward; Wm. De Lander and Israel C. Lawrence, representatives. On Monday evening, May 8, 1854, Liberty Hose presented Thomas Woodward, ex-foreman, with a handsome gold hunting watch as a testimonial of their esteem. It was presented by the foreman, Charles L. Brower, which Mr. Woodward responded to. At the same meeting the following officers were elected: Charles L. Brower, re-elected foreman; Chas. H. Lyons, re-elected assistant; Lewis Sylvester, secretary, vice Geo. Randell; Andrew Cusack, representatives. At the annual meeting held May 14, 1855, the following officers were elected for the ensuing year: Charles H. Lyons, foreman; Lewis Sylvester, assistant; Stephen J. Jennings, secretary; Charles L. Brower, treasurer; Chas. L. Brower and John Mills, representatives.
No. 11. -- Gulick. -- Was organized March 25, 1837, located at Amos Street, went out of service in 1865. Among the members were: Henry W. Van Wart, foreman; David G. Robinson, assistant; Geo. Brettel, Charles E. Findley, Allen J. Cummings, Schuyler
Westervelt, Robert M. Halliday, James Bogardus. In November, 1850, the company presented their retiring foreman, Mr. Jacob Varian, with a beautiful silver trumpet. Mr. V. L. Buxton made the presentation. John Wesley Stinman was foreman, and alderman Jacob l. Dodge assistant foreman, until 1847, in which year they received a new hose carriage, one of the most beautiful in the service, all the metal work being silver-plated and the wood work handsomely painted; on the back panel was painted a beautiful picture of the capture of Andr�. It was always one of the most respectable companies in the service.
Jacob Varian was foreman and Thomas H. Vantine asssitant foreman until May, 1850. Thomas H. Vantine was elected foreman and John J. Gorman assistant foreman, May, 1850; John J. Gorman resigned his office, also membership in the company, July 17, 1851. Thomas H. Vantine was foreman and Robert R. Colfax assistant foreman until 1854; Robert R. Colfax was foreman and James B. Hunt assistant foreman until May, 1855; James B. Hunt was foreman and John H. Westervelt asssitant foreman until may, 1856; John h. Westervelt was foreman and David G. Robinson assistant foreman until May, 1858; David G. Robinson was foreman and Henry M. Van Wart assistant foreman until may, 1961; Henry Van Wart was foreman and Wm. H. Spear assistant foreman until May, 1862; Wm. H. Spear was elected foreman and James W. Groome, assistant foreman, May, 1862; in May, 1864, Wm. H. Matthews was elected assistant foreman, Spear still commenting foreman and Matthews assistant foreman until the disbandment of the company in 1865.
No. 12. -- Washington. -- Organized March 24, 1837, located at 244 West Seventeenth Street, and after 1847 in Horatio Street near Hudson; disbanded January 21, 1858. Samuel Wooley was foreman, Freeman Campbell, assistant. Other members were James Berrian, foreman, Wm. d. Wallace, assistant, Ezra Woodruff and Samuel S. Carmen.
Minute. -- Washington. -- (the second No. 12). -- Organized under the name of "Minute" on January 20, 1859, having changed from Hose Company No. 62. The name was subsequently changed to "Washington" located in Forty-third Street near Tenth Avenue, and went out of service in 1865. Robert B. Lecte was foreman, and Samuel Wooley assistant.
In May, 1852, the Washington Volunteers attached to Washington hose company No. 12 held a meeting at the carriage house for the purpose if showing their respect and esteem for the foreman of the company. Mr. P. W. Black, secretary of the Volunteers, presented on behalf of the Volunteers a magnificent ring to Wm. P. Daniels.
At the annual meeting of Washington Hose, May 14, 1850, the following officers were elected for the ensuing year: Wm. P. Daniels, foreman, vice Abram Ackerman, declined; John F. Giraud, assistant, vice Wm. P. Daniels, promoted; John W. Bartine, secretary, vice John W. Jacobs, declined; E. K. Adams, treasurer; Robert Dickson and John W. Johnson, representatives. On May 11, 1852, the following officers were elected for the ensuing year: Wm. P. Daniels, re-elected foreman; John F. Giraud, re-elected assistant; A. C. Coquillett, re-elected secretary; John Nicholson, re-elected treasurer; Wm. A. Harrison, steward: John W. Bartine, recorder; Wm. Wray and James Graham, representatives. On May 10, 1853, the following were elected for the ensuing year: John F. Giraud, foreman; Abram C. Coquillett, assistant; Robert Kiernen, secretary; John Nicholson, treasurer; Miles W. Standish, steward; Wm. P. Daniels and James Graham, representatives. On May 9, 1854, the following were elected officers for the ensuing year: Abram C. Coquillett, foreman; Joseph De Shay, assistant; James A. Fenning, secretary; John Nicholson, treasurer; Robert Dixon and Samuel Galloway, representatives.
No. 13. -- Express. -- Organized May 6, 1837, with Zophar Mills foreman, Cornelius C. Glashan assistant foreman. "Express" was organized by some of the former members of No. 13 engine; located in Rose Street, and next in Eldridge Street near division. Disbanded December 6, 1843.
Jackson (the second No. 13). -- Was organized on February 7, 1844, located at 34 Mangin Street, went out of service in 1865. Among the members were peter Boyce, foreman; Floyd W. Patrick, assistant; William Barnes, Jacob E. Terhune and Jacob M. Fenn. On November 4, 1852, the members of Jackson Hose assembled at the hose house and presented an elegant fire certificate frame to Stephen Hallick, retiring foreman. The frame was presented by James H. Johnson, and was gotten up by A. J. martin. The presentation committee were John H. Blake, James H. Johnson and Thomas Jarvis. At the burning of the Althouse Iron Works, corner of Houston and Greene Streets, on November 16, 1862, the fire went across the street and burned a church on the southwest corner of the above streets. At this fire Theodore Mangum, a member of the Insurance Patrol, was killed while in the back room of an adjoining house by the walls crushing through the roof upon him. Mangum was an exempt member of Jackson Hose.
No. 14. -- Atlantic ("Lady Suffolk"). -- Organized May 3, 1837, by John S. Giles, Henry A. Burr, Wm. W. Corlies and others, and located first at 2 Elizabeth Street, in a little two-story building still standing, and commenced doing duty two a two-wheeler jumper. Messrs. Giles, Burr and Corlies were each of them afterwards foreman of the company, Mr. Corlies becoming assistant engineer in 1848. When Engine Company 15 was disbanded in 1849 No. 14 Hose Co. moved into their house at 49 Christie Street, where they remained until Engine 15 was reorganized in 1852. AS No. 15 went back to their old quarters, this left Hose Company No. 14 with a location, and the carriage was housed at the Corporation yard in Mangin Street until 1853, when they removed to their new house at 19 Elizabeth Street, next door to the chief engineer's office, where they remained until disbanded in 1857. James R. Mount was foreman when they removed to their new house, and continued so until 11857. Arthur J. Evans, of this company, was killed at the fire in Palmer's chocolate factory, in Duane Street, neat Centre, September 25, 1852, by the falling of the hoisting wheel. He was just going in the hallway with the pipe of 15 Engine when the wheel fell and nearly severed his head off. Another member, Patrick O'Brien, contracted a heavy cold at the foundry fire in Lewis Street, and died from its effects August 20, 1851.
When No. 14 lay at 19 Elizabeth Street they erected a pole on their building, which was surmounted by a weather vane representing the famous trotting horse "Lady Suffolk," then queen of the turf, the company having adopted her name after her then remarkable feat of trotting a mile in 2:26 on June 14, 1849. When the Volunteer Department was disbanded this vane was transferred to a pole on the southeast corner of Third Avenue and Fifty-first Street, where it still remains. They ran the jumper until 1850, when they received a new carriage with Pine's patent running gear, which was a very heavy solid carriage, and had the picture of "Lady Suffolk" on it. This was replaced in 1856 by a new carriage painted white and gold, built by J. H. Ludlum, and which was used by 29 Hose Company after No. 14 was disbanded. Harry Howard was foreman in 1851 and resigned to take the position of assistant engineer, to which he had been appointed. James E. Kerrigan, afterwards member of Congress and also colonel of the Twenty-fifth Regiment N. Y. S. Volunteers during the rebellion, was a volunteer with the company before he went on the filibustering expedition of Capt. Walker to Central America; and Manuel Silva, afterwards Peterson Engine Co. 31 was assistant foreman at the time of their disbandment.
Excelsior. -- (the second No. 14). -- Was organized march 11, 1858, with Wm. H. Ely foreman, and Akex. M. Eagleson, assistant. Among the members were J. Wentworth Braine, Chas. E, Findlay and Jonas H. Sayre. The company was located at 160 West Thirteenth Street, and went of service in 1865.
No. 15. -- Victory. -- Fulton. -- Peterson. -- This company was organized May 13, 1837, and located in Cortlandt (Tin Pot) Alley, in the house afterwards used by 19 Hose. James Gulick was foreman, John M. Valentine assistant, and John McBraw secretary. Their carriage was one of the two-wheeled affairs then in use, and which they ran for ten years. In 1839 they were located in the alley in the rear of Essex market, and in 1847 they removed to the house No. 1-1/2 Eldridge Street, the former location of Chatham Engine Company No. 2 and Lafayette Engine Company No. 19. This building had a wooden figure of a fireman on the roof. In 1847 the company got their first four-wheeled carriage, George Baker being the foreman. In 1849 John P. Hopkins became foreman of the company, followed in 1851 by Andrew H. Mitchell. In 1852 the company was disbanded, and reorganized the same night as Fulton Hose company No. 15, and in the following year got a new carriage, which was painted the same colors as Fulton Engine Company No. 21--yellow running year and white boxes. The paintings were a scene on the North River, Robert Fulton, and a representation of one of the "Lindsey Blues," a famous militia company of that day. This carriage killed two men while going to fires, at one time while racing down Columbia Street, with 4 Truck on the crown of the street and 9 Hose on the left. 15 turned to the right to go by them, and a blacksmith named Wall jumped on the rope, but, before going far, tripped on a pile of rubbish and feel under the wheels. He was carried into a neighboring drug store, where he soon after expired. At another time, while turning into Pearl Street, near William Street, Robert McCausland, a runner, and brother-in-law to Thomas Bonran, one of the members, feel from the rope as the company turned out to pass 2 Engine, and was instantly killed. On the morning of April 15, 1840, James Glasgow, of this company lost his life by the falling of the walls at the fire of a match factory in Eldridge Street. James S. Wells, an assistant engineer, formerly a member of Engine Company No. 36, was also killed at this fire.
In 1850 the officers of Victory were: John P. Hopkins, foreman; Jesse Rodman, assistant; Benjamin F. French, secretary; Joseph W. Weed, treasurer; J. P. Hopkins and B. F. French, representatives. In 1851 Andrew H. Mitchell, foreman; Owen McCollough, assistant; vice Wm. H. Overton, resigned; Wm. P. Driver, secretary; Chas. E. Ridgeway, treasurer; A. H. Mitchell and Daniel H. Carnes, representatives. In 1852 the officers of the Fulton were: James Hopkins, foreman; Wm. O'Shaughnessy, assistant; William Woods, secretary; Andrew H. Mitchell, treasurer; Josiah McCord and Edward J. Riley, representatives. At a previous meeting of this company they adopted the name of "Fulton," and were henceforth to be known as Fulton Hose Company No. 15.
William O'Shaughnessy was foreman of the company in 1853, and Andrew H. Mitchell in 1854 and 1855, the latter having previously served as foreman of the company. In 1956 Daniel MacLaren was elected foreman, and re-elected the following year with William Brandon as assistant. At that time the Company adopted the name of Peterson. After MacLaren William Brandon was elected foreman, and on April 6, 1859, the company was disbanded.
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site� Since March 9, 2001.
[Firefighters Index][NY AHGP][NY ALHN]