The History of Otsego, NY 
Laurens Village

THE VILLAGE OF LAURENS

The village of Laurens is located in the valley of the Otego creek, and has a population of about 500. It was incorporated April 22, 1834, and the first town meeting for the election of officers was held at the house of James S. Johnson, 13, 1834, and the following-named persons were chosen:

Trustees

Erastus Crafts, Samuel D. Bowne, Hiram W. Bostwick, Joel Lull, and Chauncey Strong

Treasurer

Thomas Boyd

Constable and Collector

Benj. F. Wakefield

Clerk

Levi S. Chatfield

Assessors

William Comstock and Gideon Cornell

Overseer of Highways

Samuel S. Bowne

The present officer (1877) are as follows:

President

Albert Allen

Trustees J. B. Straight, Horace Hudson, Egbert Babcock, E. S. Fisher.

Clerk

J. B. Shove

Laurens has three churches, viz., Methodist, Presbyterian, and Christian.

The present business interest are as follows:

General merchants

Leroy Tucker, J. B. Steere, D. S. Peet

Hardware

S.T. & H. Hudson

Grocery

George Randall

Attorney-at-law

S. H. Harrington

Physicians

A. P. Strong, H. T. Harris.

Hotel

M. Watson

Jeweler

John Mewell

Harness-shops

J. Shove R. Hall.

Boots and shoes

J. Fuller, P. Brown, S. Gile, A. Benedict, N. Merrills

Saloon

Wm. Harrington

Carriage-shops

Kidder & Fisher, Gardner & Babcock.

Blacksmiths

D. H. Mead, M. C. Mead, A. Clark

Grist-, saw-mill, etc.

L.S. Elwell

Tannery

L. H. Winsor

Milliners

Mrs. Cooley, Harrington & Hurlburt

Dressmakers

Misses Shove

Undertaker

R. V. Richmond

Furniture

J. B. Straight

MT.VISION

Mr. Vision is a pleasant village located in the northeast part of the town, on Otsego creek, and contains two churches, Methodist and Baptist, and about 250 inhabitants.

Present business interests:

General stores

Bunn & Bard, Lyman Green & Sons, Chauncey Wright, W. Keyes

Hardware

A. Robinson

Wagon-shop

Chester Wentworth, Daniel Bernard

Blacksmiths

Peter Couse, Levi Peck.

Shoe-shop

Willard Cutler

Hotel

D. H. House

Physicians

Dwight Kenyon

Grist- and saw-mill

Harvey Gardner

There are also two milliners, one dress-maker, a harness-shop, and a cooper-shop.

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

Original website created by Debbie Axtman

[Index Page][Otsego History and Genealogy]