The History of Otsego, NY 
Maryland Churches & Lodges

The Methodist Episcopal Church - The Schenevus Baptist Church - Church of Christ - Methodist Church of Elk Creek - Baptist Church At Chaseville - Methodist Episcopal, Crumhorn Valley - Methodist Episcopal, South Hill - Zion - s Evangelical Lutheran - Schenevus Lodge, F. and A. M. - Schenevus Lodge, I.O. of G.T. - Brown Post, G.A.R.

THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH AT SCHENEVUS

The Methodist Episcopal Church at Schenevus was organized April 25, 1842, in the school-house at Schenevus, then called Jacksonboro, by Rev. A. E. Daniels. The first trustees were Warren C. smith, G. E. S. Draper, Geo. W. Chase, Silas and Jacob Follett. The first minister was Rev. Mr. Daniels. Services were held in the school-house until the church building was completed, which was erected in 1842; 32 by 52 feet in size. A comfortable parsonage and barn was erected in 1867-68. Cost, $1,800.

In 1847, under the pastorate of Rev. J. L. Wells, the church was enlarged and beautified at a cost of $3,000, and has a present seating capacity of four hundred. The valuation of the church property is $4,000.

The present officers of the church are as follows: Samuel Hubbard, Richard Wilson, and Frank Gleason, trustees; Nelson Lane, almond Reynolds, Frank Gleason, John Seward, Henry Howland, Harvey Haynor, Augustus Bush, Richard Wilson, and Dr. W. H. Boorn, stewards; Joseph Manning, and A. Reynolds, class-leaders.

Among the pastors that have served this church are the following: Revs. A. E. Daniels, Martin Marvin, Joseph Shask, Luke C. Queal, R. S. lent, E. H. Orwin, S. H. Hill, H. V. Talbott, J. B. Weeks, Geo. Parsons, D. C. Mead, H. V. Van Deusen, Hubbard Flox, J. V. Newell, Andrew Colgrove, J. L. Wells, Joseph Hartwell, A. S. Clark, present pastor. The present membership is one hundred and ten.

Rev. Mr. Clark serves another church on what is known as Maryland Hill. Membership, fifteen; valuation of church $1,000.

THE SCHENEVUS BAPTIST CHURCH

The Schenevus Baptist church was organized in the village of Schenevus, in the year 1871, by Rev. Albert martin, who was also the first pastor.

The first officers were A. C. Delong, Rev. G. W. Howe, and Wm. E. Wright, trustees. The first members were Frederick Snyder and wife, Rev. G. W. Howe and wife, Levi Haines and wife, James D. Thompson and wife, Milton Wright and wife, Rev. A. Martin and wife, Aaron Swartout and wife, Mary E., Brownell, Sarah Kelley, Emily Rice, Mary Cunningham, Wm. E. Wright, Moses Bennett, Hannah Wilcox, Joanna Hubbard, Clide A. Hotchkin, Emma Howe, and Susan Clark.

The first church building was erected in 1868, and cost $4,200. The size was 40 by 55 feet. Previous to the erection of their edifice the Baptists of Schenevus worshipped in a school-house on the east end of Main street.

The corner-stone of the church edifice was laid by Geo. B. Snyder, of Philadelphia, Pa., in which was placed copies of the minutes of the Worcester Baptist association, various coins of money, Schenevus Monitor, Examiner, and Chronicle, and other papers, and a Bible, etc. The service on this occasion were conducted by Rev. Mr. Corwin. The present trustees are W. H. Bedeau, Warren Bennett, and henry Wilcox; Clerk, W. H. Bedeau; Deacons, W. H. Bedeau and Warren Bennett.

The church at present is with a pastor. The following clergymen have served the church as ministers, viz.: Rev. A. Martin, three years; Rev. C. H. Babcock, nine months; Rev. A. K. Batchelder, two years; Rev. C. H. James, one year and three months; Rev. S. J. Douglass, nine months; and licentiate G. C. Charles, ten weeks. The present membership is fifty. They have an interesting Sunday-school.

THE CHURCH OF CHRIST AT MARYLAND

THE Church of Christ at Maryland was organized March 10, 1875, with thirteen members, as follows: Louis Wilber, Cynthia Wilber, C. t. Bush, Anna Bush, S. O. Butler, Mary a. Butler, Wm. Wightman, Catharine Wightman, Sarah A. Wightman, C. Tillapaugh, Mahala Tillapaugh, Polly Gurney, Electra Clark. Deacons, C. T. Bush, Lewis Wilber; Clerk, C. Tillapaugh; first pastor, H. Brown; Trustees, Lewis Wilber, S. O. Butler, Wm. Wightman.

The church edifice was erected at a cost of $960. The present membership of the church is thirty-one. The present pastor is Rev. Wm. Olin.

THE METHODIST CHURCH AT ELK CREEK

THE Methodist Church at elk Creek was organized in about the year 1830, and Rev. Lyman J. Martin was the first officiating pastor. The church building was erected in about the year 1857. The present valuation of church property is $2,500. The present trustees are William Bradley, Walter Chase, John Page, Samuel Webster, Philo Beers; Stewards, F. W. Perry Daniel Palmer, D. A. Palmer, Dow M. Webster; Sunday-school Superintendent, F. W. Perry. The present pastor is Rev. Albert F. Brown, who has served the church three years. Present membership, ninety-one.

THE BAPTIST CHURCH AS CHASEVILLE

The first church organized in the town was by the Baptist denomination, and their house of worship was erected in 1816, and was situated near Maryland station. The first pastor was Rev. N. D. Wright, who officiated in that capacity about twenty-five years.

The denomination erected a second church edifice at Roseville, now Chaseville, in 1834. It has a seating capacity of four hundred and fifty. The present past is Rev. Mr. Denton.

THE METHODIST CHURCH OF CROMHORN VALLEY

The Methodist Church of Cromhorn Valley was organized in 1840, with a membership of fifteen persons. In the following year, 1841, a church edifice was erected, with a seating capacity of about three hundred. This was repaired in the year 1867, and the church property is now valued at about $2,000.

THE METHODIST CHURCH OF SOUTH HILL

THE Methodist Church of South Hill was organized in about the year 1840. The society worshipped without a church edifice until 1850, when the present building was erected at a cost of $2,000. Seating capacity, 200.

ZION - S EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH OF MARYLAND

Zion - s Evangelical Lutheran Church of Maryland was organized in 1866 by Rev. George W. Enders, the first pastor, with a membership of thirteen. Their church edifice was erected in 1867, at a cost of $3,400.

SCHENEVUS VALLEY LODGE, NO. 592, F. AND A. M.

The first regular communication of this lodge under dispensation was held Sept. 21, 1865. It was chartered in June, 1866, with the following charter members: C. H. Graham, S. B. Wilson, W. W. Houghton, Wm. Stewart, John R. Boyce, John Walker, S. H. Gurney, J. E. Peebles, and Azro Chase. The first officers under dispensation were the following: C. H. Graham, W. M.; S. B. Wilson, S. W.; W. w. Houghton, J. W.; S. H. Gurney, Sec.; H. K. Morse, Treas.; Azro chase, S. D.; J. E. Peebles, J. D.

June 25, 1866, the lodge was constituted under the warrant by District Deputy C. W. Tomlinson, and the following officers installed, being the first under the warrant: C. H. Graham, W.M.; S. B. Wilson, S. W.; Nelson lane, J. W.; S. H. Gurney, Sec.; L. A. Chamberlain, Treas.; Azro Chase, S. D.; J. W. Peebles, J. D.; Julian Ferrey, S. M. of C.; J. Mills, J. M. of C.; J. B. Robinson, Tyler.

The officers installed in December, 1866, were as follows: C, H, Graham, W. M.; Julius Ferrey, S. W.; Azro Chase, J. W.; S. H. Gurney, Sec,

Year

Masters

S. Wardens

J. Wardens

Sec.

1876

S. B. Wilson

S. H. Gurney

L. A. Chamberlain

H. F. Oatman

1868

C. H. Graham

W. H. Leonard

Chester Gurney

W. W. Cone

1869

Julian Ferrey

W. J. Sloan

O. D. Ball

S. H. gurney

1870

W. H. Leonard

O. D. Ball

C. B. Robbins

Nelson Lane

1871

-

S. H. Gurney

B. Manzer

-

1872

O. D. Ball

Benj. Manzer

O. F. Lane

Geo. C. Guy

1873

Benj. Manzer

Azro Chase

B. J. Marble

O. F. Lane

1874

Julian Ferry

Chester Gurney

Thomas Page

A. M. Aylesworth

1875

O. F. Lane

C. H. Graham

M. P. Agan

E. S. Butts

1876

C. H. Graham

G. Wright

B. J. Marble

H. W. Boorn

Also, Treas., Chester Gurney; S. D., O. F. Lane; J. D., C. M. Aylesworth; Tyler, M. P. Agan.

The lodge is now in a prosperous condition and has a membership of 69.

SCHENEVUS LODGE, NO. 612, I. O. OF G. T.

This lodge was instituted June 15, 1877, Rev. C. G. Wood; Deputy Grand master, with the following officers: H. T. Oatman, W.C.T.; Mrs. M. E. Oatman, W. V. T.; W. S. Hotchkin, W.S.; Colida A. Wright, W.A.S.; J. E. Preston, W.F.S.; Maggie Bronk, W.T.; Milo Kelley, W.M.; Ella Chase,W.A.M.; Mrs. Schermerhorn, W.I.G.; Thomas Lewis, W.O.G.; Mrs. A. Brownell, R.H.S.; Vide Parish, L.H.S.; Rev. H.N. Van Dusen, W. Chap.; W.W.Cone, P.W.C.T.; S. T. Chase, Lodge Dep.

The lodge was instituted with about fifty members. Nearly four hundred and fifty persons have since been initiated in the lodge, taking a solemn obligation to abstain forever from anything that will intoxicate. Of these a few have fallen from the high stand taken, but the most of them are scattered, and gone from the jurisdiction of the lodge, which numbers at present (Nov. 27, 1877) fifty-six.

The present officers are as follows: Carrie C. chase, W.C.T.; Mrs. A. C. Delong, W.V.T.; A. D. Spencer, W.S.; F. S. Lowell, W.A.S.; George Harper, W.F.S.; Mrs. D. T. Chase, W. T.; Wallace Bates, W. M.; Mrs. Wallace Bates, W.D.M.; Mrs. C. Gurney, W. I. G.; Jesse Dunham, W.O.G.; F. T. Starr, Lodge Dep.; Mary Boardman, W. Chap.; Mrs. Jennie Mills, P. W.C.T.; Amelia Spencer, R.H.S.; Mary Kelley, L.H.S.

Of those who have been initiated many were drunkards, and have been reclaimed by the influence thrown around them and the lessons taught in the lodge; and many earnest workers in the cause of temperance have gone out from this lodge to work in other localities for the good of mankind.

BROWN PORT, NO. 15, DEPT. OF N.Y.,G.A.R.,

Was organized in Schenevus, N.Y., March 20, 1874, with 32 charter members. The first roster of officers was as follows: W. H. Brown, Post Commander; Milo Kelley, Senior Vice-Commander; Julian Ferrey, Junior Vice-Commander; F. H. Cleveland, Adjutant; Wm. S. Hotchkin, Quartermaster; D. M. Webster, Chaplain; Wm. H. Leonard, M.D. Surgeon; J. K. Tyler, Officer of the Day; Lester Waterman, Officer of the Guard.

Present number of comrades on the rolls, 63; number of deaths, 1.Present roster of officers: H. W. Brown, Warren Bennett, Past Post-Commanders; F. H. Cleveland, Post-Commander; Don De Green, Senior Vice-Commander; Samuel Tompkins, Junior Vice-Commander; W. S. Hotchkin, Adjutant; Warren Bennett, Quartermaster; J. Barnes, Chaplain; J. Chase, Surgeon; H. W. Brown, Officer of the Day; J. Lewis, Officer of the Guard.

The regular encampments are held at Good Templars - Hall, Main Street, on the second and fourth Thursday evenings of each month.

A strong interest is felt and, manifested by the public in the welfare of the post; and its works of charity toward the living and grateful remembrance of the dead are always nobly seconded, as becomes the town that stands first in the Empire State in the proportionate number of her sons who answered the call to arms.

CHAPTER XLVI

TOWN OF MARYLAND - Continued

CHURCHES AND SOCIETIES

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

Original website created by Debbie Axtman

[Index Page][Otsego History and Genealogy]