The History of Otsego, NY
The first Universalist sermon was preached in a barn, on what was then called "Gregory Hill," before the town was divided, by the Rev, Nathaniel Stacy. It was preached in 1832. The first sermon preached in Louisville (Morris) was in the old "red school-house," by the Rev. Walter Bullard, in 1838. He afterwards preached once a month for three months. The next preaching was by T. J. Goodrich, from Oxford, Chenango County, N. Y., who preached once a month for one year. After Mr. Goodrich had finished his labors the Rev. Job Potter occasionally preached. A subscription was then started for the purpose of building a church about the year 1840, which was accomplished the next year, 1841, and the Rev. O. Whiston preached the dedicatory sermon. The first settled pastor after the church was built was Rev. David Pickering, who remained two years. At that time a society of forty-two members was formed. Rev. Daniel S. Morey succeeded him, and from that time the society have had the labors of the following clergymen: T. J. Smith, Dodge, Stewart, Bailey, Peck, Jackson, Tomlinson, Crosby, Harrington, Perkins, Williams, and L. F. Porter, who is its present pastor.
The present membership is one hundred.
FRIENDS - CHURCH
The Friends organized a church here in an early day, and among the first members were Prince wing and Deborah, his wife, George Bowne, and sons, Robert and Joseph, Jonathan Nickerson and Polly, his wife, Amos Wood and Phoebe, his wife, Daniel Foster and wife, Nathaniel Varney and wife, Aaron Wing and Deborah, his wife. The church building was erected in 1811 by Peter Platz, and was 30 by 41 feet in size, with gallery, and cost about $1,000.
The first pastor was Joseph Bowne, who remained in service about forty years. Other ministers from that time to the present were Caleb Bosley, David H. Bennett, Phoebe Ann Weeden, Jarvis Rider, and Joseph Bowne. The present house of worship is located about half a mile east of the village of Morris, and the present officers are as follows: Levi Youman and Jabez Collins, overseers; Walter Cornell, clerk.
UNION ACADEMIC SCHOOL
THE Morris Union Academic School was organized in October, 1869. The first trustees were N. S. Robinson, O. K. Crosby, A. S. Avery, W. H. Bunn, James E. Cooke, S. W. Murdock, H. R. Washbon, B. H. Matteson, and Walter A. Wing.
The school opened with the following teacher, viz.:
Teacher of Higher Department. - Miss Mary Blackman.
The board of trustees as at present constituted is as follows: Rev. Hobart Cooke, Rev. A. E. Daniels, Isaac Mansfield, D. C. Winton, D. J. Laurence, and A. N. Cruttenden.
The present faculty is as follows:
Principal. - Sumner Babcock.
TIEUNDERRAH LODGE, NO. 605, F. AMD A. M.
HILLINGTON CHAPTER, NO. 224, R. A. M.
was organized Feb. 29, 1868, by dispensation issued to the following brothers, viz.: James E. Cooke, Morris Butts, Harvey Gregory, Elias Light, Thomas Bassett, O. Potter, N. Searles, M. Shannessy, and Milton Gurney, by the Grand High Priest of the State. Seymour H. Stone. James e. Cooke was appointed H. P., Morris Butts K., and E Gregory, Scribe.
Officers installed Feb. 12, 1869, were as follows: R. Cooley, C. H.; H. E. Kinnie, P. S.; S. S. Matteson, R. A. C.; J. A. Ward, M. 3d V.; Wm. W. Shaw, M. 2d V.; R. H. Lee, M. 1st. V.; A. Burgess, Tyler; Jos. Mott, T.; J. D. Chafee, Sec.
Present officers, 1877, are as follows: J. H. Gazlay, M. E. H. P.; J. A. Ward, E. K.; L. D. W. Bassett, E. S.; R. Cooley, Treas.; S. S. Matteson, Sec.; W. H. Gardner, C. H.; James E. Cooke, P. S.; G. C. Peck, R. A. C.; George Yates, M 3d. V.; D. J. Breese, M 2d. V.; J. Mott, M. 1st. V.; Rev. Hobart Cooke, Chaplain; Geo. Churchill, Tyler.
KIDDER POST, NO 61, G. A. R.
A post of the Grand Army of the Republic was organized march 29, 1872, under the title of George kidder Post, No. 61, Dept. of N. Y., G. A. R.
The following are the names of charter members: P. W. McIntier, D. C. Winton, Wm. Southern, D. L. Flagg, A. L. Parcelle, Thos. Quinby, P. S. Perine, James Southern, O. A. Edwards, Geo. Sheff, A. L. Hall, E. Hargrove, Amenzo Goodrich, Geo. Edwards.
The first officers were as follows: Com., P. W. McIntier; S. V. C., D.L. Flagg; J. V. C., Jos. Southern; Adjt., D. C. Winton; Quart.-Mast., Orvill Edwards; S. M., Amenzo Goodrich; Q. M. S., E. Hargrove; O. D., Thos. Quinby; O. G., Geo. Sheff.
The present officers are: Com., Thos. Quinby; S. V. C., Wm. Southern; J. V. C., O. Edwards; Q. M., E. Thurston; Adjt., Andrew Turner; Chap., E. R. Joquish; O. D., P. W. McIntier; O. G., James Hargrove.
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
Original website created by Debbie Axtman
[Index Page][Otsego History and Genealogy]