The History of Otsego, NY
This gentleman, one of the prominent farmers of Plainfield, was born in the town of Virgil, Cortland County, N. Y., Nov. 30, 1825. He is the son of David and Mary Wood, who were blessed with a family of nine children. At the age of six years his father removed with his family to the town of Winfield, Herkimer County, where he resided until he moved to Plainfield, in 1853. The early life of Mr. Wood ws one of severe toil. When a mere lad he commenced work by the month as a farm-hand, which occupation he followed many years. Upon his removal to Plainfield he purchased, in company with his father, the farm where he now resides, a view of which, in connection with portraits of himself and wife, can be seen on another page of this work, which is considered to be one of the best in the town. It is appropriately named the "Valley Farm," as it lies between two ranges of hills; it is well watered, has a productive soil, and is well adapted to grain-raising or stock-growing. Mr. Wood is engaged in dairying and the breeding of Holstein cattle, which are considered to be very valuable for dairy purposes. In 1859, Mr. Wood was united in marriage to Miss Helen, daughter of Samuel Mitchell and Rebecca Reed, of the town of Exeter, where she was born in December, 1831. The Reeds are among the old and prominent families of Exeter. John Reed, her paternal grandfather, wa a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and emigrated from Connecticut in a very early day. Mr. and Mrs. Wood have been blessed with a family of five children. - three boys and two girls. Mr. Wood is emphatically a self-made man, and in his chosen avocation has been eminently successful. He has attained success in every department of life, and is an exemplar of the capabilities of character and manhood.
WILLIAM L. BROWN
In 1795, Eleazer Brown, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, emigrated from Connecticut, and settled in the town of Brookfield, Madison County. He settled upon 80 acres of land, which had been previously purchased by a colony of which he was a member. His family consisted of his wife and seven children.
Prentis Brown, father of our subject, was born in Stonington, Conn., in the year of 1793, and was two years of age when the family removed to the wilds of Madison County, where his youth was passed. He learned the trade of a blacksmith, and established himself in the town of Bridgewater, where he made the acquaintance of Miss Lucinda Oliver, whom he married in 1811. It was in this town that our subject was born, March 14, 1817. The elder Brown was a man of great energy, and by his industry and thrift accumulated a sum sufficient to purchase a home and a farm in the town of Plainfield, now owned by our subject. The farm originally consisted of one hundred and twenty acres, to which three hundred and ten acres have been added, and which is considered to be the premium farm of the town.
Mr. Brown has been prominently identified with Plainfield as a farmer, dairyman, and politician. He established the first cheese-factory in the county, introduced and used the first reaper and mower, and in all matters effecting the interests of the town he has taken a very prominent part. He has also filled many positions of trust with credit to himself, and to the entire satisfaction of his constituents. In 1875 he received the nomination for member of assembly, in opposition to the Hon. J. S. Davenport; but the district being largely Democratic he was defeated.
In 1840, Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Angeline wood, daughter of David and Mary Wood, of New Hartford, Oneida County. Mrs. Brown was born in the town of Winfield, Herkimer County, Nov. 15, 1820. The result of this union has been three children, Wm. Henry, born Dec. 10, 1842; Alonzo W., born Aug. 20, 1844; and Mary A., born May 3, 1851.
Mr. Brown has been successful in all his operations, and has secured a competency, the inevitable result of a life of industry and integrity. He occupies an enviable position among his fellow-townsmen.
The subject of this sketch was born in the town of Plainfield, Nov. 16, 1819. His parents, Azariah and Avis Armstrong, were among the early settlers of the town, having settled upon the farm now owned by M, W, and D. M, Armstrong, in 1812. The farm originally consisted of 270 acres, and by his thrift, energy, and economy he added 230 acres to his original purchase. the elder Armstrong wa a valuable citizen; he aided materially in developing the town, and at his death his loss was deeply deplored. He was an anti-slavery man, and did the cause good service. He died in 1855, leaving a family of six sons and one daughter.
Solomon lived under the paternal roof until 1853, working the old farm with his brothers, when he purchased 180 acres, where he now resides. He has been a successful and thrifty farmer, and now owns a fine farm of 266 acres. In 1876 he was elected supervisor of the town, and I 1877 was re-elected. In the board he was considered an efficient member. In 1848 he was united in marriage with Miss Louisa M., daughter of Epaphras and Caroline Morse, of Plainfield, where she was born in 1828. Two children have been born to them, S. Eugene and Clara B.
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
Original website created by Debbie Axtman
[Index Page][Otsego History and Genealogy]