The History of Otsego, NY 
Richfield Businesses

 The location of Richfield is remarkable for natural beauty, not only in its immediate surroundings, but it occupies a position in the midst of the most charmingly diversified mountain and scenery. The mountain-sides in many instances, and especially where bordering upon lakes or streams, are jutted with immense ledges of rocks, or cut with deep ravines that assist so extensively in giving that romantic character to this portion of the State of New York which it so eminently possesses. Six beautiful lakes are distributed in this vicinity, almost within sight of each other; and this was known to be a region of popular resort of the aboriginal tribes of the valley of the Mohawk and western part of the State before the whites encroached upon the original possessors of the territory. Unlike the spasmodic growth of many western towns, with their restless and ever-changing population, this village has grown gradually in size and public favor, until it now has a population of nearly 21500. And it is represented by the following business interests:

Lawyers

Davenport & Tennant, P. D. Fay, Dwight Luce, and C. Gano.

Physicians

N. Getman, W. B. Crain.

Dentists

W. T. Bailey, M. D. Jewel.

Magistrates

E. W. Badger, J. L. Comstock

Surveyors

J. L. Comstock, E. W. Badger

Teachers-common school

H. A. Ward, Mrs. Ames

Insurance agents

W. D. Griffin, M. Tuller

Artists

F. M. Zoller, G. H. Broaner

Bankers

Elwood & Tuller

Print-offices

Richfield Springs Mercury, C. Ackerman & son, editors

Dry goods

Elwood & Tuller, E. A. Hinds

Hardware

R. Buchanan

Hardware, groceries and dry-goods

Wick & McCready

Drug-stores

A. J. smith & Son, J. F. Getman

Clothing-store

C. J. Hinds, O. Knapp, C. Wilder

Groceries

R. Russell, Frink & Armstrong, H.C. Watson

Jewelers

H. C. Walter, H. Greenman

Flour-mills

Frank Dana

Steam Saw-mills

S. Clemens

Book-store, telegraph, and express

J. A. Storer

Expressmen

William Conklin

Butter Dealer

Peter Allen

Cabinet and undertakers

D. W. Harrington, M. D. V. martin

Shoe-store

Guy Kinne

Farm products and groceries

P. Langdon

Lumber-yard and feed-store

W. B. Ward

Meat-markets

N. Vroman, James Steel

Harness-shop

W. E. Stillman

Tin-shops

R. Buchanan, H. Royston

Barber

G. h. Thomson

Carriage-makers

A. Barker, H. J. Freudenberg

Blacksmiths

Elias Young, J. Switzer, R. J. Dutcher

Painters

A. C. Cole, J. Harn

Coal-dealer

D. Ibbotson

Hotels

Spring House, T. R. Proctor, prop.

American Hotel, Coleman & Tunnicliff, prop

National Hotel, Dr. S. P. Barker, prop.

Canadarago House, F. Stanton, prop.

Central Hotel, E. W. Darrow, prop.

Davenport House, J. S. Davenport, prop.

There are several private boarding-houses, viz.: the Tunnicliff Cottage, the Park House, , the Tuller house, the Rathbun House, the Conklin House, the Cary House, and the Tunnicliff House.

The first post-office in the village was established in 1829, under the administration of George Jackson, as East Richfield. James Hyde was the first postmaster, and held the office twelve years, or until the accession of the Whig party to power under General Harrison in 1841, when he resigned in favor of E. A. Saunders, his deputy, who held the office but a few months, when Horace Manley received the regular appointment, and was succeeded by A. R. Elwood in 1842, under the administration of John Tyler. During the time that James Hyde was postmaster, the office was kept in the old American Hotel.

In 1848, Moses Jaques was appointed under James K Polk; held the office but a few months, when Cyrus Osborn received the apppointment, and held the office until 1853, and was succeeded by James S. Davenport. In 1862, Samuel S. Edick received the appointment under Mr. Lincoln, but resigned in 1865 in favor of E. A. hinds, who was duly appointed and still holds the office.

Richfield Springs was incorporated March 30, 1861.

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

Original website created by Debbie Axtman

[Index Page][Otsego History and Genealogy]