Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
Barber, immigrant ancestor of the Barbers of Clinton County, arrived
from England in the ship "Christian" in 1635, going first to
Dorchester, Massachusetts. His age is given in the records as twenty-one
years. he served in the Pequot War, the first struggle between the
colonists and the savages of New England, and instead of returning to
Massachusetts, he settled in Windsor, Connecticut.
(II) Lieutenant Thomas (2), son of Thomas (1) Barber, was born in Windsor, July 14, 1644. He married, in December, 1665, Mary, daughter of the first William Phelps, and subsequently moved from Windsor to Simsbury. His children were: 1. Mary. 2. Sarah. 3. Thomas. The daughters were born in Windsor.
(III) Thomas (3), son of Lieutenant Thomas (2) Barber, was born in Simsbury, Connecticut, in 1701. He settled in Windsor. He married Abigail Buel and had three children.
(IV) Lieutenant Thomas (4), son of Thomas (3) Barber, was born in Windsor, January 19, 1700-01. He married Mary Case.
(V) Daniel, son of Lieutenant Thomas (4) Barber, was born in Windsor, February 16, 1732-33. He married, July 15, 1755, Martha Phelps; they had a son Roswell and probably other children.
(VI) Roswell, son of Daniel and Martha (Phelps) Barber, was born in Windsor, in August, 1770. In early manhood he went to Clinton County, New York, and purchasing a farm in Beckmantown he settled there as a pioneer, becoming a successful farmer. He was twice married and the maiden surname of his first wife was Howe. His second wife, whom he married November 16, 1833, was Philanda Ransom, born at Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts, April 30, 1783, daughter of Elisha Ransom, who is again referred to. Children: 1. Roswell Oscar. 2. Alonzo. 3. Alanson. 4. Chloe. 5. Esther Ransom, who was the only child of his second marriage. None of the children are now living.
(VII) Roswell Oscar, son of Roswell Barber, was born in Beekmantown, December 22, 1814, died in Plattsburg, June 6, 1898. When a young man he engaged in tilling the soil, and being naturally industrious and thrifty he made general farming a very profitable occupation. In 1860 he relinquished agriculture and entered the grocery business at Plattsburgh as a member of the firm of Morgan & Barber. Two years later the firm was reorganized by the admission to partnership of his two sons, Charles O. and George Edward, and the
new concern, under the firm mane of R. O. Barber & Sons, built up a large and profitable business. In 1867 they added dry goods, which since been their principal business. His untiring energy and sterling integrity, which so largely contributed to his success as a farmer, were displayed to equal advantage in his mercantile career, and for the remainder of his life, covering a period of nearly forty years, he was one of Plattsburgh's most enterprising and successful merchants. He married, May 24, 1838, Sabrina, born in Chazy, New York, November 10, 1817, died January 2, 1902, daughter of Roswell and Ruth (Kinsley) Ransom. Sabrina Ransom was a descendant in the seventh generation of Robert Ransom (10 and the line of descent is, Joshua (2), Robert (3), Newton (4), Elisha (5), who married Irene Wells, and Roswell (6). She was a niece of Philanda Ransom, previously mentioned as the second wife of Roswell Barber (6). Roswell O. and Sabrina (Ransom) Barber were the parents of seven children, all of whom were born in Beekmantown: 1. Henry Ransom, July 18, 1839, died March 31, 1863. 2. Charles Oscar, February 14, 1841; married Betsey Amelia Heaton; died august 25, 1803; had five children, of whom Parley Heaton, Jessie Cordelia, and Charles Henry are now living. 3. George Edward, again referred to. 4. Robert Barrington, August 7, 1850, died October 28, 1866. 5. Helen Irena, March 4, 1854, died July 15, 1871. 6. Herbert, August 14, 1856; married Ella Lampson and has one son, Robert L. 7. Ruth.
(VIII) George Edward, son of Roswell O. and Sabrina (Ransom) Barber, was born in Beekmantown, January 8, 1843. His preliminary studies with the regular course at Plattsburgh Academy, and in 1862 he became a member of the firm of R. O. Barber & Sons. He acquired his business training in this establishment, which he assisted in developing into its present position of importance; he has survived his associates and is now the senior proprietor of the business, which is still carried on under the original firm name. The firm is composed of G. E. Barber, Silas D. Barber, and F. L. Finn. Identified with the mercantile interests of Plattsburgh for nearly a half a century, he is one of the most widely known business men in that section of the State, and his high moral character, have brought him into prominence, both as a merchant and a citizen. He is ever ready to assist in promoting any legitimate enterprises calculated to prove beneficial to the city of his adoption, and his interest in the general welfare of the city has been frequently demonstrated. He is vice-president of the Plattsburgh National Bank, president of the board of trustees of the Presbyterian Church and a trustee of the Samuel F. Vilas Home for Aged and Inform Women. In politics he is a Republican.
Mr. Barber was married in Champlain, New York, June 14, 1876, to Elizabeth Rebecca Dewey, born in that town October 28, 1850, daughter of Silas H. and Carolina (Clark) Dewey. She died February 24, 1905. Children: 1. Mary Elizabeth, born November 1, 1877. 2. Silas Dewey, May 10, 1879, of the firm of R. O. Barber & Sons. 3. Helen Caroline, March 23, 1882. 4. Roswell Oscar, September 22, 1883, died September 9, 1903. 5. George Edward, May 16, 1887, died February 18, 1903. Elizabeth R. (Dewey) Barber was a descendant in the eighth generation of Thomas Dewey (1), who came from Sandwich, county of Kent, England, about the year 1635. From him the line of descent is: Israel (2), David (3), Captain Charles (4), Joseph (5), Elias (6), and Silas (7). (N. B.--Admiral Dewey, United States Navy, is of the ninth generation in descent from Thomas (1), through the latter's eldest son Josiah. Admiral Dewey's name is among the brightest in American history, and his splendid victory in Manila Bay will go down among the most brilliant in our naval annals.
WILCOX. In ancient English records this name is spelled Wilcox, and Wilcocks. The Wilcox family is of Saxon origin, and existed at Bury St. Edmonds prior to the Norman Conquest. Fifteen generations are mentioned by Sit John Dugdale in his visitations of Suffolk county previous to 1600. A Sir John Wilcox, during the reign of Edward III, was entrusted with several important commands against the French. An early immigrant of the name was William Wilcox, who came from the county of Suffolk, England, and served as lieutenant-governor of the colony of Massachusetts. He died at Cambridge, Massachusetts, in November, 1653. There were early settlers of this name in Rhode Island, and it is not unlikely that the Daniel Wilcox mentioned below was descended from that branch of the family.
(I) Daniel Wilcox, an early settler at Grand Isle, Vermont, is supposed to have come from Connecticut, but an effort to discover a record of his birth either in that state or elsewhere proved unsuccessful. He was residing at Grand isle as early as 1794, in which year he was chosen commander of the local infantry company, and possessing a small farm he manufactured brick, erected a tavern and conducted it for several years. he also transacted quite a profitable business in letting boats, and operated a ferry between Grand Isle (then called the heroes) and Cumberland Head, which was first licensed in 1807. He was one of the first boat-builders on Lake Champlain, and during the War of 1812-15, one of his boats was seized by the British, loaded with supplies, and when reaching the Isle of Matt foundered and was sunk. After the war Mr. Wilcox raised the vessel and recovered her stolen property. Daniel Wilcox was twice married and the maiden name of his second wife was Eunice Barnes. She bore him three children, but only two are mentioned in the records at hand: 1. Electra, born May 25, 1806, became the wife of Norman Gordon. 2. John Fish, a brief account of whom follows.
(II) John Fish, son of Daniel and Eunice (Barnes) Wilcox, was born at Grand Isle, July 30 1812, died there at the age of fifty years. he married Lucretia Gordon, born at Grand Isle, June 6, 1813, daughter of Williard and Clara (Armstrong) Gordon, and a sister of Norman Gordon, previously mentioned. Norman and Lucretia Gordon were of the fifth generation from Alexander Gordon (1), a Scotch highlander, who espoused the cause of the Stuarts; was captured by the parliamentary forces under Cromwell during the civil war in England; and being sent to Massachusetts as a prisoner of War in 1651, was held as such at Watertown until 1654. In 1662 he settled in Exeter, New Hampshire, where he married Mary, daughter of Nicholas Lysson, and became a prominent resident in that town. From Alexander (1), the line of descent is Daniel (2), Alexander (3), who settled in Salem, New Hampshire; married (first) Susan Pettee, of Haverhill, Massachusetts, and (second) Hannah Stanley, of Beverly, Massachusetts; Willard (4), who married Clara Armstrong, and resided in Grand Isle. John Fish and Lucretia (Gordon) Wilcox were the parents of eight children, five of whom grew to maturity and are now living: 1. Eunice, wife of Hiram Tobias. 2. Darius, married Ursula Griswold, and their children are; Bertha, Eva, Vernon and Grace. 3. Willard Gordon, mentioned below. 4. Jane, wife of Warren hall. 5. Charles.
(III) Willard Gordon, son of John F. and Lucretia (Gordon) Wilcox, was born in Grand Isle, Vermont, April 7, 1842. Having completed his education at the age of seventeen years, he began his business training as a clerk in a hardware store at Burlington, Vermont, and remained there
one year. Going to New York City he became a bookkeeper for the well-known dry goods house of H. B. Claflin & company, and proved his ability and faithfulness by continuing in their employ for a period of five years. returning to Grand Isle from the metropolis he engaged in mercantile business, but subsequently withdrew from trade and accepted a clerkship on one of the steamboats plying on Lake Champlain during the navigation season. In the winter he was employed by Andrew William's, of Plattsburgh, who was at that time one of the leading iron manufacturers of northern New York, and having won the esteem and confidence of his employer he became the latter's confidential clerk, retaining that responsible position for twelve years. In 1881 Mr. Wilcox established himself in business at Plattsburgh as a dealer in coal, wood, hay, etc., building up a profitable trade in these commodities, and in connection with his mercantile business he is engaged in running pleasure boats on the lake. He is still devoting his energies to these enterprises and having some time since admitted his eldest son, Watson Brooks, to partnership, the business is now conducted under the firm name of W. G. Wilcox & Son. For nearly forty years Mr. Wilcox has resided in Plattsburgh and has long been one of its leading citizens, assisting financially in its industrial development and otherwise contributing to its prosperity. For a number of years he has been a director of the First National Bank, and is a large stockholder in the Lozier Works. In politics he is a Republican, and served two terms with marked ability as a trustee of the village. In 1876 Mr. Wilcox was married in New York City to Fannie C. Brooks, of Richmond, Virginia. They have had four children, two of whom died in childhood. The survivors are: 1. Watson Brooks, born in Grand Isle, in September, 1869; now associated in business with this father, member of F. and A. M. and Presbyterian Church. He married Ida Lansing, of Plattsburgh, and has had four children, two of whom are living: 1. Ralph, 2. Margaret. 3. Roger Hudson, born in Plattsburgh, March 11, 1878, married Jessie W. Holcombe.
THOMAS. The name of Thomas is of great antiquity in Wales, and they are claimed to have descended from the ancient kinds of Britain. The first trace of them in authentic history was Wryam, who lived in the sixth century after Christ; he was said to be a son of Cynvarch Oer Ap Merchion Gul, Prince of his principality by the Saxons, and took refuge in Wales. He afterwards waged war against his enemies, but the family became established in Wales. In the United States, among the family to win distinction was Francis Thomas, who became governor of Maryland. They became prominent also in Virginia, where many of the name are still found.
(I) Of the family here described the first to come to America was Israel Thomas, born in Wales, May 9, 1741, and he came as a captain in the British Army. He was wounded at the battle of Fort William Henry. Israel Thomas died in Kingsbury, Washington County, New York, October 1, 1805. A manuscript volume in the custody of the Regents of the University of the State Of New York, in the State Library, known as Volume V of the Treasurers' Certificates, shows on page 55 that Israel Thomas was commissioned a captain of an Albany County company of militia, in 1787, by Governor George Clinton, and placed in charge of one of the forts at Lake George, in a regiment under the command of Colonel Jacob Schermerhorn. He had served as private in the Fourth Regiment, also in the Sixth Regiment of Albany County militia, in the Revolution, and in the latter was under the command of Colonel Stephen J. T. Schuyler, and in the company commanded by DeForest or DeFreest, in 1780. In the fall of 1781 he was again private in the
same regiment, then under the command of Colonel Henry K. Van Rensselaer, and in the company commanded by Captain Buyusten; this regiment was in active service. He had a son Jared.
(II) Jared, son of Israel Thomas, was born at Great Nine Partners, September 2, 1768, died January 2, 1848, at Kingsbury, New York. He had a son Almon.
(III) Almon, son of Jared Thomas, was born April 1, 1820, at Kingsbury, died at Plattsburgh, New York, May 26, 1894. He spent his early boyhood in his native county, and there received a common school education. He afterward worked on a farm until his majority, when he began working for Charles Harris, a lumber dealer. He remained in this position until 1847 and then entered the employ of F. J. Barnard & Son, of Albany, owning large tracts of lumber land along the Saranac River, and became superintendent of the work in the woods around Plattsburgh, driving and measuring lumber, etc. He thoroughly learned every detail of the business, and in 1846, in company with Mr. Richards, he made explorations up the Saranac River to the Lower Lake; Mr. Thomas looked carefully over the field, and persuaded the company that it would be possible in a year's time to make such improvements as would enable them to drive logs down the river the whole length from the lakes downward. In 1847 Mr. Thomas superintended the drawing of the first rafts through the Lower Lake and putting same into the river, and in that year an act was passed making the river a highway, thus removing many difficulties from the path of the firm, who had such immense interests at stake in the enterprise. One-half the interests of F. J. and S. W. Barnard in the property were purchased by B. R. Sherman in 1852, and the other half was purchased by Mr. Thomas a year later, and he became partner of Mr. Sherman. They continued in the business with success until the fall of 1856, when they sold their interests to Hon. C. F. Norton. In 1857 Mr. Thomas, in company with his brother Ephraim, went into the business of manufacturing broom handles and other wooden ware, and two years later the latter sold his co-partnership to Henry Tefft. The new firm demolished the brick factory, in part of which their business was located, and in its place erected a lumber mill, soon after which Mr. Thomas sold his interest to Mr. Tefft. In 1860, in company with James Hammond, and for five years he cut lumber for the Albany market, disposing of his interest to his brother Warren. From 1860 to 1868 Mr. Thomas conducted a retail lumber business in Plattsburgh, where Baker Brothers now have a lumber yard. In 1870 Mr. Thomas purchased mill property at Keeseville, and rebuilt, having custom flour and saw mills. In company with Thomas Armstrong, he purchased a tract of about thirty thousand acres of valuable timber land in Essex county, and they also became owners of five hundred acres at the mouth of the Ausable River. Mr. Thomas had excellent judgment in the purchase of land, and in the handling of the lumber business, in which he became one of the most successful men in the region. He always devoted his best energies toward the conduct of his business affairs. In September, 1871, Mr. Thomas purchased the Plattsburgh Gas Works, and soon thereafter sold a half interest to Captain H. S. Ransom; they erected new buildings and carried on the enterprise until November, 1878, when Captain Ransom sold his interest to Mr. Thomas, who continued the business alone. Mr. Thomas worked hard from boyhood, and always retained ambition and enterprise; he was always studying the best methods of carrying on whatever business he was conducting, and was methodical in all he did. He was a self-made man, and had his own way to make in the world from early life. In religious matters he was keenly interested, and was for many years a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Polit-
ically a Republican. Mr. Thomas married, September 3, 1849, Rebecca A., daughter of Hunting Moon, of Peru, New York, where she was born, April 2, 1827. Hunting Moon married Rhoda, daughter of John Phetteplace, who died November 22, 1833; he married, August 19, 1785, Elsa Weaver. John Phetteplace made application for pension for Revolutionary service, December 4, 1832, which was afterward received by his wife. He was a private, and enlisted from Glancaster, Rhode Island. His various enlistments were: spring of 1775 for ten days, in Captain Timothy Wilmot's company, regiment under command of Colonel Fry, of Rhode Island. September, 1776, three months in Captain Samuel May's company, regiment under command of Colonel Cook, of Rhode Island. December, 1776, one month in Captain Timothy Wilmot's company, regiment under command of colonel Fry. February, 1777, one month in the company under command of Lieutenant Sheldon.
Almon Thomas and wife, Rebecca (Moon) Thomas, had children: 1. George E., see forward. 2. Frank, born December 6, 1853; died November 9, 1890, unmarried. 3. Ida, January 16, 1857; married, July 24, 1883, L. Watson Hayes, and has no children. 4. Ella, February 19, 1859, died July 10, 1860. 5. Nellie, April 10, 1861; married, December 11, 1883, William E. Corey, and they have one child, Ida May. 6. Emma, April 3, 1864; married, November 15, 1887, John Harding, and they have three children, Almon Thomas, John Phelps, and Watson G. 7. Fannie, October 7, 1867, died January 4, 1868.
(IV) George E., eldest son of Almon and Rebecca A. (Moon) Thomas, was born August 30, 1850, died March 7, 1896. He married, December 31, 1874, Laura E. Walton. Children: 1. Mary, married Will Wright, and has two children, Marian and George. 2. Harry. 3. Gertrude, married Joseph McDermott, and they have one child. 4. Bessie M. 5. Alice.
CAVANAGH. The family here described is one descended from sturdy Irish stock, which as contributed so largely to the building up of a race of patriotic, useful citizens. Their ancestors were small landholders of Ireland, and were hard-working and industrious, making the best of their circumstances and opportunities, and since finding in America a wider field of usefulness and endeavor have made themselves influential and prominent in the land of their adoption.
(I) James Cavanagh, who spent the greater part of his life in Plattsburgh, New York, was born April 8, 1840, in Camolin, county Wexford, Ireland, and was the fifth of six children. His father died when he was seven years old, and soon after his mother sold their small home, and after seven weeks spent on the water, reached America with her children. They went to Underhill, Vermont, where Mrs. Cavanagh had a sister, and there they remained until the death of the mother, purchasing a farm, which they cultivated. After the death of his mother, James, who was bout fourteen years of age, worked two years as a farm hand, attending school through the winters, and at sixteen years of age began teaching school during the winter, continuing for three years. Thereafter he spent eight years in the employ of Shedd & Walker, of Burlington, Vermont. In 1865 Mr. Cavanagh removed to Plattsburgh, where he engaged in business in company with Shedd & Walker, the firm name being James Cavanagh & Company, in the stone store now occupied by the Northern Provision Company. In 1871 he bought out the interests of his partners and thereafter conducted the business alone, until his sons joined him in business. Mr. Cavanagh was a man of industry and thrift, and until a few years before his death was actively engaged in business. Five or six years before his death he suffered a slight stroke of paralysis, from which he seemed to recover, but
his health began to decline, and for some months before his death he suffered from sever Bright's disease. He passed away at his home on Macomb Street Plattsburgh, October 6, 1908.
James Cavanagh was a man of high ideals and strong character, and his great regard for honest principles, and business integrity was recognized by all. Though he was ambitious and amassed a large fortune, his methods were ever above reproach, and those with whom he had dealings never had cause to complain of he outcome. He was naturally shrewd, and the fact of his having had his own way to make from early boyhood sharpened his keen business instincts, so his hard work and enterprise were amply regarded. At the time of his settling in Plattsburgh the town and immediate vicinity offered unusual opportunities for business investment, and Mr. Cavanagh was awake to the possibilities of the situation, and took advantage of his chances for financial enterprise and success. He was a devout attendant of the Presbyterian Church, and was one of the first regular attendants of the Peristrome Church of Plattsburgh, continuing until the death of its pastor and the disbanding of the congregation, and later became an attendant of the First Presbyterian Church. In politics he was independent, and although interested in all public affairs, never cared for political office for himself. However, he served some time as trustee of the village of Plattsburgh. He encouraged the business growth of the community, and was a charter member of the old Iron National Bank, of which he served as director several years. At the time of his death he was a director and vice-president of the Plattsburgh National Bank.
May 2, 1867,m Mr. Cavanagh married Jane Elizabeth Barber, of Chazy, who died five years later, having one son, George E., August 26, 1874, he married (second) Emma Dunning, of Champlain, and they had two sons, William, of Plattsburgh, and Albert, of New York City. Mrs. Cavanagh died November 29, 1899. Mr. Cavanagh married (third) October, 1902, Helena C. Augustin, of Plattsburgh, who still resides in that city. She is a native of Prussia, and came with a brother to New York City when quite young, and there received her education. Later she located in Plattsburgh, where she opened a private kindergarten school, the first in the city. She remained as proprietress of the school for twenty-five years, and became well known and successful in the enterprise.
(II) George e., son of James and Jane Elizabeth (Barber) Cavanagh, was born July 10, 1870, at Plattsburgh, New York. His mother, who was a daughter of George W. Barber, died in 1872, when he was very young. He was educated in his native city, and there had spent all his life. Upon reaching manhood he became associated in business with his father, and later became a traveling salesman. Some years ago he and his brother William became business partners wit their father, and after his death continued to carry on his business. George E. Cavanagh is now head of the firm, and has inherited his father's natural aptitude in financial affairs, as well as his integrity and industry. Mr. Cavanagh has business acumen and ambition, and his prospects are very promising. He is public-spirited and patriotic, and takes a keen interest in the welfare and prosperity of his city, county and state. In politics he is a Republican. He is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of Plattsburgh Council, No. 371, U. C. T., past councillor. Mr. Cavanagh greatly reveres his father's memory, and has a wholesome respect for the achievements of that successful and self-made man, and in company with his two brothers and his father's widow has given a memorial to James Cavanagh, consisting of a gift to the Champlain Valley Hospital of equipment for its operating room, including instruments, etc., to the amount of two thousand dollars.
Mr. Cavanagh married, June 16, 1897, in
Saranac, New York, Edith L., daughter of J. nelson and M. Frances (Haynes) True. Children, born in Plattsburgh: 1. Elizabeth B., August, 1902. 2. Jane Frances, May, 1904. 3. James Ellsworth, August, 1907.
STRATTON. James Stratton, a native of Ireland, born about the year 1828, emigrated to Canada with his mother in 1849, and settled in Hemingford, province of Quebec. Name of his father was George. He was a tailor by trade and followed that occupation in Hemingford for the reminder of his life, which terminated in 1889. He married, in Hemingford, Jane Orr, also native of Ireland, and she died in 1896, aged seventy-six years. they were the parents of seven sons and two daughters, all of whom were born in Hemingford and are now living: 1. Thomas George, married a Mrs. Sanders and now resides in Mooers, New York. 2. James A., mentioned below. 3. William, resides in Hemingford. 4. Steven S., also of Hemingford; married Maggie Reddick. 5. Samuel Orr, resides in California; married Maggie Dryden. 6. John F., now of Montreal. 7. Mary Jane, became the wife of D. E. Fairbrother; resides in Ticonderoga, New York. 8. Edward B., married Kate Good speed; resides in Plattsburgh. 9. Lucy R., who is now residing in Ticonderoga; wife of Frank C. Gates.
(II) James A., second son of James and Jane (Orr) Stratton, was born in Hemingford, March 27, 1850. Commencing the activities of life at the age of thirteen years, he engaged at various vocations in Hemingford and in Montreal, and continued some five years, during that time attending a night school in order to obtain the necessary education for a business career. When eighteen years old he came to the United States and during the succeeding two years was employed in various places. In 1870 he entered as a clerk the employ of J. F. Sheldon, a prosperous country merchant in Mooers, New York, and he retained that position for a period of six years, during which time he also served as deputy postmaster. Going to Winchendon, Massachusetts, in 1876, he accepted a clerkship with Messrs. W. L. Woodcock & Son, manufacturers of woodenware, was later advanced to the position of traveling salesman and still later became foreman of the plant. Returning to New York state about 1880 he became bookkeeper and deputy postmaster for A. B. Angel & Company at Sciota, remaining there three years, and going to Clintonville he was employed as a bookkeeper by the Peru Steel Ore Company for one year. Settling in Plattsburgh in 1884 he devoted the succeeding three years to the sale of organs and pianofortes for A. C. Smith & Company, and accepting the local agency of the Connecticut General Life Insurance Company of Hartford in 1887, he has ever since managed the affairs and forwarded the interest of that corporation in Plattsburgh and vicinity with ability and success. He also deals in real estate. He has been very successful in his business affairs. In politics Mr. Stratton is a Republican and for a number of years has been quite active in civic affairs. For nine years he was a member of the Plattsburgh board of health, a considerable portion of which time was an officer, serving as both secretary and president. While serving in the latter capacity in 1902, he was called upon to cope with an epidemic of smallpox, and he received many gratifying commendations for the energy and good judgment he displayed in protecting the community in the midst of a serious emergency. From 1907 to the present time he has held the office of city chamberlain, and is also serving as loan commissioner, having been appointed as such by the late Governor Higgins. He was one of the civil service commissioners in 1906-07. He is a Master Mason and a member of Clinton Lodge, No. 155. He is a member of Methodist Episcopal Church.
On 1879 Mr. Stratton was married at Mooers, New York, to Emma S. Bullis, a native of that town and a daughter of Alfred Bullis. They have one son, James Bernard, born in Winchendon , Massachusetts, March 4, 1880; was educated in Plattsburgh high school, Troy Conference Academy at Poultney, Vermont, and River View Military Academy, Poughkeepsie, New York, after which he entered his father's office as deputy city chamberlain, in which capacity he is still acting, even though there has been a change of administration. He is a member of Plattsburgh Lodge, No. 828, Free and Accepted. Masons.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.