Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
Dickinson, immigrant ancestor, came from Beverly, England, a town near
Hull, in 1826, bringing with him his wife and two sons, Matthew and
John. He settled in Canada, a half mile from the United States line, and
a mile and a half from the village of Champlain, New York. He carried on
a farm in England, and oncoming to America purchased a tract of wild
land which he cleared, and conducted a farm the remainder of his life.
He married in England, Mary Martindale. Children, born in England: 1.
Matthew, mentioned below. 2. John.
(II) Matthew, son of Thomas Dickinson, was born in England, October 21, 1821, died in Champlain, New York, October 21, 1891. He lived all his life on the homestead in Champlain. He married Margaret McCarroll, born in Canada, who died November 9, 1902, aged seventy-five years. They had one child, Thomas Henry, mentioned below.
(III) Thomas Henry, son of Matthew Dickinson, was born on the homestead, February 5, 1853. He received his education in the public schools of Champlain and in the Champlain Academy, and in early life became a clerk in the grocery and feed store of Hoyle & Hitchcock, where he remained three years. During the year following he was with Adams & Company of New York City, and had charge of their general store of the company at Clinton Mills. He then returned to the town of Champlain and embarked in the hardware business in the firm of Dunning & Dickinson. After fifteen years of successful business in this relation, Mr. Dickinson bought out his partner. Afterward he admitted to partnership William Broder and the firm name became T. H. Dickinson & Company, continuing until 1906, when the senior partner sold his interest to the junior partner, who continued the business. Mr. Dickinson was appointed postmaster of Champlain by President Benjamin Harrison. He was succeeded by a Democrat during the Cleveland administration, but was again appointed to the office, May 2, 1898, by President McKinley and re-appointed at the expiration of his term of office by President Roosevelt. He is at present the postmaster and has always given satisfaction both to the government and the public he has so faithfully served. He has been a leading Republican for many years and is active and influential in municipal affairs. He has been president of the board of education. He is part master of Champlain Lodge, No. 237, Free Masons. He is also a member of Adirondack Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Plattsburgh Commandery, Knights Templar; and Oriental Temple,. Mystic Shrine, of Troy, New York; of the Independent Order of Foresters. He is a prominent member and trustee of the Presbyterian Church and superintendent of the Sunday School for the past four years. He is a director and treasurer of the Champlain Telephone Company and a director of the Clinton County Agricultural Society. He married, in 1878, Matilda Collings, who was born in Canada. Children: 1. Carrie May, born April 13, 1880; married Franklin D. Sweet, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, now of Portland, Oregon; child, Wallace Sweet. 2. Charles M., May 25, 1882; lives in Portland, Oregon. 3. Ethel M., September 18, 1884. 4. Alice G., December 20, 1887, died at the age of twenty years.
LOW. The family of Low, often found in the records as Lowe, Loue, etc., has been well known in New England since the earliest times, and they have contributed their share to the building of the nation. They have taken part in wars since the early Indian Wars of the colonies until the present times, and have borne themselves with credit. In the time of peace they have been represented in the professions, arts and other walks of life.
(I) Wilson Low lived in Connecticut at the time of the beginning of the Revolution, and enlisted in the Continental Army; being then quite young, he became a drummer boy and served under General Washington. In 1802 Mr. Low settled at Westford, Essex County, New York, at the same time as Judge Charles H. Hatch, who was the chief pioneer of that place, and who married a sister of Wilson Low. Mr. Low and his family came at the same time, settling at Brookfield, just west of Essex, where he took up land an partially cleared same before his death. Though the name of his wife is unknown, record was made of the birth of five children, namely: 1. Wilson, went west, and became father of two sons, Edgar and Gilbert, who took part in the Civil War, the former having also fought in the Mexican War. 2. Nelson. 3. John Hatch. 4. Sally. 5. Clarissa.
(II) John Hatch, third and youngest son of Wilson Low, was born September 18, 1799, in Brookfield, New York, and there spent most of his life; he died at Westport, November 14, 1869. He was a lumberman, merchant and farmer, and held in high esteem by all his neighbors. He was the friend of progress and used his influence for the welfare of the community. He held most of the offices of the community and was known as Squire Low. He served as justice of the peace of Westport, New York, during the years 1839-44-48-58; he was supervisor in 1847. In 1845 he served as town sealer of weights and measures. Mr. Low conducted a general store, and was the leading merchant of Westport. He was a man of high character and ideals. And his memory is revered by many. John H. Low married, February 1, 1823, Eliza, daughter of Asel and Hannah (Perkins) Rising, born December 28, 1797, died August, 1882. Asel Rising was born in 1768 and went west, after which all trace of him was lost. His wife, Hannah (Perkins) Rising, was a daughter of one of the pioneer settlers of Cleveland, Ohio; she was born in 1768 and died in 1855. John H. Low and his wife were parents of ten children: five sons and five daughters, namely: 1. Catherine M., born March 29, 1824, at Westport; married Noble Bostwick. 2. Electra S., August 16, 1825; died March 9, 1849; she married D. S. Cutting. 3. Douglas S., May 6, 1827, died in 1899; he married (first) Mary Cutting and (second) Mrs. Davis. 4. Sarah B., January 29, 18298, died, unmarried, in 1868. 5. Frances C., October 15, 1830, died in 1905; she married Layman Cole. 6. John B., July 28, 1833, died, unmarried, March 11, 1842. 7. Charles W., July 2, 1835, at Lewis, New York, died in 1903; he married Sarah Cromwell. 8. Clara E., January 2, 1837, at Lewis; married Foster McKinney, and resides at Ottawa, Illinois. 9. Edwin B., May 28, 1840, at Westport, died in 1898; he married Mrs. Galliett (Williams) Douglas. 10. Dr. Elliott Colburn.
(III) Dr. Elliott Colburn, fifth and youngest son of John Hatch and Eliza (Rising) Low, was born February 16, 1843, at Westport, New York. He spent his boyhood days in his native town, and later attended the Vermont University and the Philadelphia Homeopathic College, where he graduated in the class of 1866. He commenced practice of his profession at Keeseville, New York, and was there associated with Dr. H. A., Houghton for two years. In 1868 Dr. Low located in Plattsburgh, where he has built up a fine practice
and won the confidence and esteem of all with whom he has become associated. He is an expert physician in the Homeopathic treatment, and stands high in the profession. He is also able to find time to take an active interest in public affairs and improvements, and is an enterprising, useful citizen. He belongs to the Homeopathic State Medical Society, and fraternally is a member of the Knights Templar, of which order he is at present commander, as well as other orders of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. In the eighties he received his Regents degree signed by George William Curtin.
Dr. Low married, May 5, 1869, Ann Eliza, daughter of Joseph Romeo Wadsworth and Emily Dian (White Emerson, born March 24, 1850, in Ellenburg, New York, and they had had one daughter, Elizabeth May, born February 1, 1871, at Plattsburgh, New York; she died July 2, 1909. She was educated in the schools of Plattsburgh.
Joseph R. W. Emerson was a son of Joseph Emerson, born in 1782, in Pittsfield, New Hampshire, died in 1855, at Ellenburg, New York. He was one of the early settlers in Grand Isle, Vermont. He married Melvina Taber, sister of Elizabeth, who married William White. His father, Colonel Nathaniel Emerson, who died in the town of Candia, New Hampshire, was an officer in the Revolutionary War, and served as a minuteman in the Revolution, and afterwards under General Washington, had title of lieutenant-colonel. There Haas been an Emerson who took part in every war from the earliest colonial wars down to the present time. Joseph R. W. Emerson was born in Pittsfield, New Hampshire, August 18, 1809, died February 9, 1899, in Plattsburgh, New York. He was one of the pioneers of Ellenburg, New York; came to Plattsburgh in 1855 and engaged in the mercantile business up until his retirement in 1889. He married, in 1838, Emily Dian, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Taber) White, born in Barre, Vermont, died February 16, 1889, in Plattsburgh, New York. Her mother was a descendant of Captain Church. Mr. Emerson and his wife had four children, namely: 1. George Henry, born January 5, 1839, at Ellenburg, New York, died December 2, 1866, at Washington, District of Columbia; he served as lieutenant in the Civil War, but resigned on account of sickness, and became attached to the staff of Colonel Baker, at Washington, where he resided at the time of his death; he married Delia S., a daughter of Colonel Gordon T. Thomas, a veteran of the Civil War, who was the first volunteer of Essex County, and was killed at the Second Battle of Bull Run. 2. Ellen Elvira, born October 5, 1844, at Ellenburg, New York, died at the age of eleven years, at Plattburgh. 3. Anna Eliza (Mrs. Low). 4. William Leslie, born October 24, 1855, at Ellenburg, died September 6, 1889, at Plattsburgh; he married Fannie S. Barnes, of Beekmantown, New York.
NASH. This name seems to be of English origin, though the family herein treated came from Ireland to New York more than half a century since. It is derived from "atten Ash," the place of residence fo the first who took a surname, and is similar in character to Atwood, Atwater, and others. There were several of the name among the earliest immigrants to New England. Gregory Nash was in Charlestown, Massachusetts, as early as 1630; Samuel was in Plymouth about the same time, certainly in 1632; William was of Charlestown in 1634; Thomas was in the New Haven colony in 1643 and perhaps earlier, while others came not much later. One hundred and seventy enlistments were credited to men of the name in the Revolutionary rolls of Massachusetts alone, and the name is now widespread throughout the United States.
I. Samuel Nash was a native of county Cork, Ireland, where he was born about 1800,m probably of English ancestry, and died in 1888, at Saranac, New York. He married, in Ireland, Bridget Cassidy, a native of the same locality as himself, and they came to America in 1849, bringing with them their five children. They proceeded to Saranac, New York, where Mr. Nash purchased a tract of wild land. This he cleared of timber at the expense of much labor, and made a comfortable home for himself and family, tilling the soil through the remainder of his years. His industry, upright character, and prudence mad him successful and gained for him a host of friends, and he was respected as a useful citizen. Children: 1. Catherine, married Richard Murphy and now resides in Minnesota. 2. John, married Mary Murray, of Saranac, now deceased. 3. Elizabeth, deceased wife of Thomas E. Healey, of Plattsburgh (see Healey). 4. Anna, wife of Michael Judge, of Saranac. 5. Joseph, married Anna Moffitt, and resides in Dannemora, new York. 6. Robert F. see forward.
(II) Robert F., youngest child of Samuel And Bridget (Cassidy) Nash, was born May 31, 1852, at Saranac, New York, and passed his life down to 1908 on the paternal homestead in that town, which he still owns. He received a fair education, and early entered the public service, filling several important offices of the town, including that of collector, which he filled three years, was six years supervisor, and served for two years as fish and game warden. In the fall of 1907 he was elected sheriff of the county, and upon assuming the office the next year moved to Plattsburgh, where he has dealt largely in real estate. A faithful official and an honest man, he wins and retains the friendship and esteem of his contemporaries. He is a member of the Catholic Church. He is a member of the Plattsburgh Grange, P. of H., with which his wife is also affiliated, and of the Knights of Columbus, Plattsburgh Council, No. 255. He married (first) January 13, 1882, Mary J., daughter of Morris Healy. She died October 2, 1885, and he married (second) August 2, 1887, Anna, daughter of Patrick Buckley, of Black Brook, Clinton County. There were two children of the first marriage: 1. William H., born March 10, 1883. 2. Maurice F., February 12, 1885. Children of second wife: 3. Agnes N., born September 16, 1889. 4. Catherine G., January 6, 1892. 5. Edward K., August 11, 1894. 6. Leo Samuel, May 30, 1898. 7. Anna L., February 12, 1902.
CLARK. Richard Clarke, immigrant ancestor, is supposed to have been one of that company that came with Rev. Ezekiel Rogers from Rowley in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, in the autumn of 1638, and settled in Rowley, Massachusetts, April, 1639. The name of Richard Clarke does not appear in the first assignment of lots of land, but in a second survey, made in 1661, there was assigned to him, "as to an acre and a halfe lot that he purchased of Thomas Elathrope, one gate and halfe," "Gate" being the right in the commons, which was given to those who owned one and one-half acre lots. This land was still in possession of Richard Clarke's descendants in 1883. Nothing is known of his occupation, but it is not unlikely that besides carrying on a small farm, he was a weaver, like many of the first settlers of Rowley. He was a town officer; overseer in 1656, and 1660, and selectman in 1666.
He married in Rowley, in August, 1643, Alice --------------, and they were the second couple married in that town. Neither his death nor that of his wife is recorded in Rowley, but his occurred before March 31, 1674, when his will was proved. The will was dated February, 1673, and in it he leaves his stock and farming implements to his son John, and all his household goods to his daughter Esther. Children: 1. Judah, born June 5, 1644, buried July 28, 1660. 2. Hester, October 10, 1645. 3. Mary, December 22, 1648, buried June 14, 1660. 4. John, March 26, 1650, mentioned below. 5.
Martha, March 10, 1650, buried June 16, 1660.
(II) John, son of Richard Clarke, was born in Rowley, March 26, 1650. He married, January 10, 1672-73, Mary, daughter of John Poore, of Newbury. She was born December 12, 1654, died September 10, 1726. Her father was born in Wiltshire, England, about 1615, emigrated in 1635 and settled in that part of Newbury called "The Neck" on the south side of Parker River, on the street leading from Newbury to Rowley. Nine generations of his descendants have lived in the house partly built by him. John Clarke died December 21, 1736, "aged 86 years and 9 months of ye palsy. A good old man." Children: 1. Sarah, born September 7, 1675. 2. Richard, November 10, 1677, mentioned below. 3. John, November 4, 1679. 4. Judah, February 7, 1681-82. 5. Mary, February 8, 1683-84. 6. Hester, March 23, 1685-86. 7. Martha, March 23, 1687-088; buried April 22, 1688. 8. Ebenezer, February 28, 1688-89. 9. Jonathan, September 17, 1691. 10. Joseph, (twin) born and died October 12, 1693. 11. Benjamin (twin), born and died October 12, 1693.
(III) Richard (2), son of John Clarke, was born in Rowley, November 10,m 1677. He married (first) December 2, 1702, Abigail, daughter of John and Abigail (Kimball) Wilcom. She died October 17, 1722. He married (second) August 9, 1727, Abigail daughter of Joseph Kilborn. He died July 11, 1730, "of ye smallpox." His will, on file in Salem, Massachusetts, was dated July 2, 1730, and probated September 8, 1730. In it he makes bequests to his wife, Abigail, his sons Simon, Ebenezer, Richard and John, and daughter, Abigail. He left an estate amounting to one thousand pounds, four shillings, one of the largest in Essex County at that time. Children of first wife: 1. Abigail, born August 8, 1704. 2. John, July 23, 1706. 3. An infant, died august 19, 1708. 4. Richard, born September 7, 1709. 5. Thomas, August 5, 1711, died the same day. 6. An infant, died September 7, 1712. 7. Simon, born November 4, 1714. 8. Ebenezer, October 19, 1717, mentioned below. Children of second wife: 9. A child, died March 24, 1729-30, unbaptized. 10. A child, died June 24, 1730, "by ye smallpox."
(IV) Ebenezer, son of Richard (2) Clarke, was born in Rowley, October 19, 1717, baptized October 20, 1717. In 1730 his father died, leaving the largest part of his estate to his sons Simon and Ebenezer, with the obligation to maintain their elder brother Richard during his natural life. April 9, 1734, Ebenezer, being then fifteen years old, made choice of his brother, John Clarke, of Rowley, as his guardian. On October 8, 1734, he made a second choice, Lieutenant Thomas Lambert, of Rowley, "to improve my estate to the best advantage & to provide a good Master that I might learn ye Joyner Tread." The next trace found of him is in the land records of Stafford, Connecticut, December 25, 1739, when he bought from his brother Simon one-half of a tract of one hundred acres in Stafford. In 1741 he deeded his Stafford property to his father-in-law, Timothy Dimmock. October 5, of the same year, the latter deeded to Ebenezer Clarke twenty-one acres of land in Mansfield, Connecticut, presumably in exchange for the land in Stafford. This tract, increased by land deeded January 21, 1748-49, formed the homestead on which he resided during his stay in Mansfield, July 9, 1753. Ebenezer Clarke conveyed land adjoining the preceding to Timothy Dimmock, who reconveyed it to his daughter, Ann Clarke. These combined tracts of land remained in possession of Ann and Ebenezer Clarke until April 25, 1777, when they conveyed the whole to Ephraim Robbins. Ebenezer Clarke was a farmer and is supposed to have carried on the trade of joiner in addition. He married in Mansfield, September 2, 1740, Ann, daughter of Timothy and Ann ((Bradford) Dimmock. She was born in Mansfield, May 23, 1724. Her fa-
ther came to Mansfield from Falmouth, Massachusetts, about 1721, having purchased a tract of land near the Willamantic River. His gravestone and that of his wife may be found in what is known as the "Gurley Burying ground," in the west part of Mansfield. He died December 27, 1783, and his wife October 9, 1788. They were married August 13, 1723, in Mansfield. The deaths of Ebenezer and his wife Ann are not recorded in Mansfield. Children, born in Mansfield: 1. Temperance, April 21, 1741. 2. Simon, March 11, 1744. 3. Timothy, mentioned below, December 26, 1745. 4. Joannah, January 23, 1747-48. 5. Wilcom, April 8, 1750. 6. Abigail, February 28, 1752. 7. Ebenezer, March 10, 1754. 8. Daniel, May 6, 1756. 9. Anna, May 9, 1759. 10. Eunice, May 11, 1761. 11, Jonathan, May 30, 1763. 12. Mary, May 7, 1765. 13. Solomon, October 7, 1767.
(V) Timothy, son of Ebenezer Clarke, was born in Mansfield, December 26, 1745, baptized in the Second church, January 7, 1745-46. He married November 29, 1764, in Mansfield, Amy, daughter of Jedediah Woodworth, of Lebanon, Connecticut. She was baptized November, 1746. Her father was descended from Walter Woodworth, of Scituate, Massachusetts, through his son Joseph, who removed to Little Compton, Rhode Island, and later to Lebanon, with his two sons, Joseph and Jedediah. It is not known where Timothy Clarke lived for a few years after his marriage, but there is a tradition that his two eldest children were born in Connecticut, and the third in Grafton, then called Thomlinson, Vermont. He is supposed to have settled there in 1768, when the town was almost wholly a wilderness. He soon removed to the adjoining town of Rockingham, Vermont, which at that time had a population of two hundred and twenty-five persons. August 6, 1771, he sold his estate in Grafton, consisting of forty acres of land, March 25, 1772, he was chosen one of the assessors of Rockingham, and at the same time purchased a lot of land there.
At the beginning of the Revolution, when news of the battle of Lexington, reached New Hampshire and Vermont, timothy Clarke was one of the band of patriots who marched to Cambridge, were organized into a company under the command of Captain John Marcy, and took an active part in the defense of the rail fence in the battle of Bunker Hill. He held the rank of drummer in Captain Marcy's company, took part in the battle, and served from May 7, to August 10, 1775. The town records of Rockingham show that he was also one of those who marched to Ticonderoga, June 23, 1777, he took "the oath of fidelity to be true to the United States of America." March 3, 1778, he "took the oath agreeable to the Constitution." His name appears on the "Freeman's roll" of Rockingham, March, 1777, he was chosen tithingman; March, 1779, constable and collector, and March, 1781, petit juryman. In 1799 he attended the supreme and county court. Although not a member of the first church, he was evidently an attendant there with his family, as the inventory of his estate shows that he owned "1 pew in the North meeting house in Rockingham," valued at twenty dollars.
February 5, 1777, Timothy Clarke bought from colonel Benjamin Bellows, of Walpole, New Hampshire, about ninety acres of land in Lot No. 10 in the eighth range. The original deed is still in possession of Miss Julia A. Clarke, of Saxton's River, who is believed to be the only surviving grand-child. May 1, 1778, he bought in addition six acres, being part of Lot No. 11, in the seventh range. He lived for the remainder of his life upon this land, which is situated upon the road leading from Saxton's River village, along the east side of the grounds of the Vermont Academy, to the old town of Rockingham. The house which he built and in which he lived is still standing.
In addition to his military service at
Bunker Hill and Ticonderoga, Timothy Clarke served from September 27 to October 20, 1777, ina detachment of a company consisting fo five men from Rockingham, commanded by Lieutenant Charles Richards in colonel William Williams' regiment of militia. Colonel Williams' regiment was engaged at is this time on an expedition to Bennington, and may have been present at the surrender of Burgoyne. Timothy Clarke also served seven days as ensign in Captain Jonathan Holton's company of Rockingham men, and marched sixty miles, "in the Alarm in October 17, 1780.' He appears in 1782 on the "Pay roll of Captain William Simonds' company, Colonel Bradley's regiment, raised to assist the sheriff to go to Guilford," when he served four days. He died in the latter part of February, 1813, in Hancock, Vermont, and was buried in the North Hollow Burial ground in Rochester, Vermont. His wife died January 4, 1818. Children; 1. Margrett, born March 9, 1766. 2. Timothy, April 9, 1767. 3. Jonathan Rogers, born in Grafton, April 12, 1768, the fist male child born there. 4. Eunice, September 13, 1772. 5. Daniel Randall, April 9, 1775. 6. Anna, February 10, 1779. 7. Jedediah, August 8, 1781, mentioned below. 8. Anna, August 17, 1784. 9. Simeon, April 1, 1787. 10. Ebenezer, June 1790. 11. Solomon Bradford, July 21, 1793.
(VI) Jedediah, son of Timothy Clarke, was born August 8, 1781, in Rockingham, died in Hermon, New York, February 6, 1830. He lived in Rockingham and Roxbury, Vermont, to which he removed about 1818. In Rockingham town records appears the statement that he did not agree with a majority of the inhabitants in religious opinion, and was therefore excused from supporting the town church. He married, 1804, Elizabeth Stearns, of Grafton. She was born April 6, 1784, died in Roxbury, May 30, 1834. Children, born in Rockingham: 1. Harriet, March 5, 1805. 2. Theophilus Flagg, July 17, 1807. 3. Eliza, July 19, 1809. 4. Leonard Elliott, March 7, 1811. 5. Ebenezer Bradford, May 2, 1814. 6. Jedediah Stearns, March 31, 1816, mentioned below. 7. Mahala, April 1, 1818. Born in Roxbury: 8. Permelia, May 9, 1820. 9. Simeon Tyler, October 28, 1822. 10. Sarah, July 9, 1825.
(VII) Jedediah Stearns Clark (as the name is now spelled), son of Jedediah Clarke, was born in Rockingham, March 31, 1816, died in Parishville, New York, July 28, 1882. He removed with his parents to Roxbury in 1818. In 1841 he removed to Hermon, St. Lawrence County, New York, and lived there as a farmer until 1870, when he removed to Norwood, New York. He kept a grocery store there, and also carried on a farm until 1875, when he retired from active business and removed to Parishville, where he spent the remainder of his life. He was a man of strong religious faith, and a member of the Baptist Church in Hermon. He married, March 17, 1841, Charlotte A., born near Berkshire, Vermont, March 29, 1822, daughter of Abraham and Charlotte (Smith) Mott. Children born in Hermon: 1. Jason Almeron, May 23, 1842. 2. Simeon Levondo, mentioned below, May 11, 1844. 3. Flora Amelia, November 16, 1848. 4. Charlotte Florence , December 18, 1851. 5. Harriet Elizabeth, May 1, 1856. Born in Canton, New York: 6. Harold Stearns, July 15, 1859.
(VIII) Simeon Levondo, son of Jedediah Stearns Clark, was born in Hermon, May 11, 1844. He was educated in the district and select schools of the day, and at the age of nineteen taught school in the winter. In the summer of 1864 he was working on a farm for his father. September 5, 1864, he enlisted in Battery E, First New York Light Artillery, and on the 7th started for the front, arriving on the Weldon railroad about September 20. He served in front of Petersburg from that time till the close of the war, part of the time in Fort Wadsworth and the remainder outside of the line in front of Petersburg. He was discharged
from service, June 5, 1865. After his marriage, in 1865, he lived in Canton, New York, where he carried on a farm in summer and taught school in winter. April 1, 1871, he removed to Parishville, where he conducted a drug store until November 1, 1876, when he sold his drug business in order to devote his time to the manufacture of lumber and butter tubs. November 1, 1888, he took his son, Pliny James Clark, into partnership. He carried on this same business until his death, and employed about one hundred men in his mill and in the woods. He is a member of the First Baptist Church of Parishville, and superintendent of the Sunday School from 1890 until within a short time of his death, July 21, 1907. He married (first) August 24, 1865, Mary E., born in Spencerville, May 12, 1844, died in Parishville, September 15, 1891, daughter of Ephraim and Ann (Metcalf) Keeler, of Spencerville, Ontario. He married (second) June 7, 1893, Mary Keeler, born in Augusta, Ontario, March 31, 1845; she was of North Lawrence, New York, daughter of William Keeler, of Ontario, and Rosannah (Banks) Keeler, of Denmark, New York. Children of first wife: 1. Charlotte Ann, born June 10, 1866. 2. Pliny James, October 28, 1867, mentioned below. 3. Ernest Simeon, September 11, 1871. 4. Earl Keeler, January 13, 1878; died March 30, 1880.
(IX) Pliny James, son of Simeon Levondo Clark, was born in Canton, October 28, 1867, and was educated in the State Normal School at Potsdam, New York, from which he graduated when eighteen years old. He entered immediately into the lumber business with his father, was made a partner November 1, 1888, and since the latter's death has assumed entire control. Besides his lumber business, he has large farming interests. He is a director of the Thatcher Manufacturing Company, at Elmira, New York, and is identified with the Troispistoles Lumber Company of Troispistoles, province of Quebec, and also with the Watkins Lumber Company, of New York. He was supervisor of the town of Parishville for several years; town clerk thirteen years, and president of the school board for a time. At present he is a director of the People's National Bank of Potsdam. In politics he is a Republican. In religion he is a Baptist and a trustee of the church. He married, February 15, 1900, Eva Sophia, daughter of Fred and Hannah Rowley Cole. Child, Walter Simeon, born May 26, 1902, in Parishville.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.