Genealogical & Family History of Northern, NY
Pages 193-200

William Richard Cutter, A. M.
Editorial Supervisor

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam

 

IVES. The surname Ives is derived from the name McIver or Ives, Gaelic, meaning chief or leader, and the family in England doubtless takes its name from St. Ives, county Huntington, England, or some other locality, though it may have been adopted from a personal name, as many other surnames have been. John Ives, of the Manor Woodhos, in Orington, Norfolk, left his estate of his son Thomas, then less than twenty years old. The father died October 23, 1568.

(I) Captain William Ives, believed to have been of the county Norfolk family, was born in England; he came to Boston in the ship "True Love" in 1635. In 1639 he located at New Haven, Connecticut, his name appearing in the civil compact dated June 4, 1639, and in the allotment to the first settlers. He and his wife had seats in the meeting house at New Haven in 1646. Children: 1. John, married, in 1677, Han-

Page 194

nah Merriam. 2. Captain Joseph, mentioned back. Perhaps others.

(II) Captain Joseph Ives, son of Captain William Ives, was born about 1650. He married, January 2, 1672, Mary Yale. The history of Wallingford, Connecticut, gives the following children of "John" and Mary (John married Hannah and the children should be credited to Joseph and Mary): 1. John, born November, 1669; died 1738, at Meriden. 2. Hannah, married Joseph Benham. 3. Deacon Joseph, mentioned below. 4. Gideon, of Wallingford, married, February 20, 1706, Mary Royce. 5. Nathaniel, born May 3, 1677. 6. Ebenezer. 7. Samuel, June 5, 1686. 8. Benjamin, November 22, 1689.

(III) Deacon Joseph (2), son of Captain Joseph (1) Ives, was born October 14, 1674. He married, May 11, 1697, Esther Benedict. He married (second) June 13, 1733, Mamre Munson. They lived in the southwest part of Wallingford. Children: 1. Thomas, May 30 1698. 2. Elizabeth, February 6, 1700. 3. Hannah, October 13, 1701. 4. Abigail August 27, 1704. 5. Esther, January 17, 1706. 6. Joseph, December 10, 1709; mentioned below. 7. Phineas, April 8, 1711. 8. Nathaniel, January 15, 1714. 9. Ephraim, January 4, 11717. 10. Dinah, April 4, 1721.

(IV) Joseph (3), son of Deacon Joseph (2) Ives, was born at Wallingford, December 10, 1709. His will, dated October 11, 1765, gave certain property to his eldest son Joseph and his sword to Stephen.

(V) Joseph (4), son of Joseph (3) Ives, was born in Wallingford in 1737. He settled in Claremont, New Hampshire where he was town clerk and highway surveyor and held a prominent position in the community. He was in Claremont as early as 1767, and died there in 1786. He was a soldier in the Revolution and served in the campaign against Ticonderoga as a private. He was afterward lieutenant of minutemen and later captain. He signed the association test, May 30, 1776, and was selectman in 1776. A descendant, John Ives, of Red Wing, Minnesota, had in his possession a number of papers of Joseph Ives and a copy of his father's will. Among these papers was a petition to the selectmen of Claremont dated March 20, 1778, signed by Abigail Stone, in which she states: " My husband is engaged in the service of the United States of American," and that she has a large family of children which she is unable to support on account of the high prices of provisions, etc.--"by reason of all the necessaries of life being sold at such an extravagant price." She requests the selectmen "to see if the town will find some way for me to obtain the necessaries of life to support my family at the price they were when my husband engaged in the service." the trouble was due to the depreciation of the currency and many attempts were made to compensate the solders and their families for the hardship resulting from the decline in value of Continental money. Prices were regulated by law; additional money was voted the soldiers, but the suffering was universal. This woman was supporting her family by her own labor while her husband was in the army and she confesses in the petition; "I am unable to support them much longer at this rate." This letter is now in the possession of Gideon S. Ives, of St. Paul, Minnesota. He has also deeds of land at Wallingford and the letter appointing Joseph lieutenant signed by Samuel Stevens December, 177-. Children: 1. Mary, born July 1, 1763, in Wallingford. 2. John M., mentioned below. 3. Mamre (twin of John), November 14, 1767. 4. Stephen, July 31, 1771. 5. David, March 23, 1773. 6. Elizabeth, January 29, 1775. 7. David, July 18, 1778.

(VI) John M., son of Captain Joseph (4) Ives, was born in Wallingford, November 14, 1767, and was taken to the new home at Claremont when an infant. He married, September 30, 1792, Mary Thomas. Among their children were: 1. Warren, mentioned below. 2. John. 3. Frank.

Page 195

(VII) Warren, son of John M. Ives, was born in Claremont in 1799; died in Dickinson, Franklin County, New York, 1861. He was educated in the district schools of his native town. In 1829 he removed to northern New York. He was a lawyer and for thirteen years supervisor of the town of Dickinson, and of high standing and great influence in the community. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. He married Louisa Buxton Ladd, of Newbury, born august 4, 1803, died 1872, daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Ring) Ladd (see Ladd VI). Children: 1. Frederick. 2. Frank. 3. Adeline. 4. Alma. 5. Charlotte. 6. John. 7. Warren. 8. Martin Van Buren, mentioned below. 9. Hallan L. 10. Gideon S., who is an attorney at law at St. Paul, Minnesota; was lieutenant-governor of the state, two terms; furnished much of the data for this genealogy.

(VIII) Hon, Martin Van Buren, son of Warren Ives, was born in Dickinson Center, Franklin County, New York, November 20, 1840. He received his early education in the common and select schools of his native place. When he was twenty-one he started to learn the trade of carpenter and joiner, and he followed it for a number of years. He enlisted July 1, 1862, in the Forty-seventh Regiment, New York Volunteers, and served two years and ten months in the Civil War, taking part in the battles of Olustee, Florida, at Drury's Bluff, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, and both attacks on Fort Fisher. When his term of enlistment expired he located at Potsdam, New York, where his mother was then living, and conducted a book and stationery store. He also had a profitable business in western railroad tickets for the Rome, Western & Ogdensburg Railroad Company. He retired from this business in 1886. In 1882 he and his brother erected one of the finest business buildings in Potsdam, known as the Ives Block, and in 1890, in partnership with his brother, H. L. Ives, he erected a new Ives Block of marble, one of the finest business structures in the county. He has been active in public life and honored with many offices of trust and responsibility. When he was but twenty-one he was elected constable. For a number of years he was assessor of the village, and in 1893 was elected supervisor of the town by a large majority. He was appointed by Governor Roswell P. Flower in 1893 trustee of the New York Agricultural Station at Geneva. In politics he is a Republican of large influence. He represented his distinct in the state assembly in 1896-99. He is one of the leading farmers of this section, and owns the Higly Falls Farm, on which is located one of the best water-power privileges in the state, and one time owned large orange groves in Florida. He has been president of the St. Regis Valley Horticultural and Agricultural Society, and is one of the best known and most highly esteemed men of this section, especially in the agricultural sections. He has been president of the Racquette Club, and is trustee of the Ray Brook Sanitarium at Saranac Lake, New York. A lover of nature and an entertaining writer, he published in 1890 a book entitled "Through the Aidondacks," which has given a national reputation.

He married, in 1866, Sarah, daughter of Seth Benson, of Potsdam, and they have one child, Hallie S., born November 26, 1879.

(The Ladd Line).

Like so many prominent English families the ancestry of the Ladd family is traced to the Norman Conquest. The first Ladds or Ladd came to England with William of Normandy, and settled in Kent county, where they had a grant of land about eight miles from Dover--Downes. The remote ancestors in England followed the sea and were fisherman.

(I) Daniel Ladd, immigrant ancestor of the American branch, took the oath required of those leaving for New England, march 24, 1633-34, and sailed in the ship "Mary and John" of London, Robert Sayres, master. He settled, first, at Ipswich, Massachusetts,, where, February 5, 1637, he had

Page 196

granted to him a six-acre house lot, on which he built a dwelling house. He sold this homestead eleven years later to Henry Kingsbury. It was on High Street, adjoining William Payne's. He went to Salisbury, Massachusetts, where he was granted an acre for a house lot between lots of John Ayer and Robert Fitts, and a planting lot of four acres between lots of John Gough and William Allen, on the highway leading to the mill. From time to time he drew lots there, s the common lands were divided among the proprietors. Finally, he removed to Haverhill, Massachusetts, among the first settlers, and must be reckoned as one of the founders of that town. His house lot was between that of Robert Clements and Henry Savage, and he had many and extensive grants later. In 1650 he and Theophilus Shatwell erected a sawmill on Spioket River, in which is now Salem, New Hampshire, the first mill on that stream. For the monopoly of this mill business they paid the town five pounds a year. In 1668 he was one of the selectmen; in 1683 he was opposed to the movement to build a new meeting house. He was a farmer by occupation. In 1675 he was on a committee with Peter Ayer and Thomas Whittier to determine which should be garrisoned. Hill will was dated January 30, 1692-93, but for some unknown reason was not proved and his son Daniel was appointed administrator, January 9, 1694. He married Ann ---------, who died February 9, 1694. He died at Haverhill, July 27, 1693. He held the rank of lieutenant in the military company. Children: 1. Elizabeth, born November 1, 1640, at Salisbury. 2. Daniel, July 26, 1642. 3. Lydia, April 8, 1645. 4. Mary, February 14, 1646, in Haverhill. 5. Samuel mentioned below. 6. Nathaniel, March 10, 1651. 7. Ezekiel, September 16, 1654. 8. Sarah, November 4, 1657.

(II) Samuel second son and fifth child of Daniel and Ann Ladd, lived in the west parish of Haverhill, and his house stood on the site of the present church there. Chase's "History of Haverhill" says: "Feb. 22d, 1698, this Samuel Ladd, with his son Joseph, who lived in the western part of the town, had started that morning with their teams, consisting of a yoke of oxen and a horse each, to bring home some hay which had been cut and stacked the preceding summer in their meadow in the extreme western part of the town. While they were slowly returning, little dreaming of present danger they suddenly found themselves between two files of Indians, who had concealed themselves in the bushes on each side of their path. There were seven on them on each side, with guns presented and cocked, and the father seeing that it was impossible to escape, begged for quarter. To this the Indians replied, "boon quarter, boon quarter" (Good quarter). Young Ladd, who did not relish being taken prisoner, told his father that he would mount the horse and endeavor to escape, but the old man forbade him to make the attempt, telling him it was better to risk remaining a prisoner. He cut his father's hose loose, however, and giving him the lash the horse started off at full speed, and though repeatedly fired at by the Indians, succeeded in reaching home and was the means of giving an immediate and general alarm. Two of the Indians then stepped behind the fathers and dealt them a heavy blow upon the head. Mr. Haynes, who was quite aged, instantly fell, but Ladd did not. Another of the savages then stepped before the latter and raised his hatchet as if to strike. Ladd closed his eyes, expecting the blow would fall, but it came not, and when he again opened his eyes, he saw the Indian laughing and mocking at his fears. Another immediately stepped behind him and felled him at a blow. The Indians, on being asked why they had killed the old man, said they killed Haynes because "he was so old he no go with us," meaning that he was too aged and infirm to travel; and that they had killed Ladd, who was a fierce,

Page 197

stern-looking man, because "he so sour." Thus it was that Samuel Ladd died February 22, 1698. His wife, Martha Corliss, whom he married December 1, 1674, was a daughter of George Corliss, and she bore her husband ten children: 1. Daniel, November 19, 1676. 2. Lydia, September 25, 1679. 3. Samuel, May 22, 1682. 4. Nathaniel, September 9, 1684. 5. Ezekiel, February 14, 1686. 6. Jonathan, April 13, 1689. 7. David, April 13, 1689. 8. Abigail, September 29, 1691. 9. John, June 22, 1694. 10. Joseph, May 16, 1697.

(III) Daniel (2), eldest child and son of Samuel and Martha (Corliss) Ladd, was born November 19, 1676, died June 15, 1751. At the time his father was killed by the Indians he was made prisoner by them and carried to Penacock, New Hampshire. His first attempt to escape was defeated through his indiscretion of trying to secure a hatchet from a wigwam in which was a sick squaw, and after that he was bound hand and foot, laid on his back, with one foot tied to a tree, and kept in that manner fourteen days. His face, too, was gashed and powder was put in the wounds, making a permanent discoloration. He was kept a prisoner some years, but eventually escaped, and returned to his home in Haverhill. He married, November 17, 1701, Susannah Hartshorn, of Rowley. She died June 22, 1750. They had children; 1. Mary, born August 6, 1702. 2. Susannah, May 10, 1704. 3. Samuel, April 20, 1709. 4. Daniel, November 15, 1710, mentioned below. 5. Ruth, May 11, 1712. 6. John, February 1, 1717.

(IV) Daniel (3), fourth child and second son of Daniel (2) and Susannah (Hartshorn) Ladd, was born November 15, 1710. He married Mehitable Roberts, September 20, 1733, and by her had twelve children: 1. Susannah, born July 7, 1734. 2. Asa, march 10, 1736. 3. Ezekiel, mentioned below. 4. Daniel April 27, 1740. 5. Mehitable, February 11, 1742. 6. Samuel, November 9, 1744. 7. John, April 17, 1746. 8. David, July 8, 1748. 9. Abigail, July 27, 1750. 10. James, April 10, 1752. 11. Ruth, October 10, 1757. 12. Jonathan, December 10, 1760.

(V) Ezekiel, son of Daniel (3) Ladd, was born April 10, 1739, died July 12, 1818. He was one of the early settlers and leading citizens of Haverhill, New Hampshire, and held various offices of trust and responsibility. His bride, coming from a home of some wealth and refinement to the rough settlement at Haverhill, wore her wedding silk dress and stockings and shoes to church when she appeared for the first time. So impressive were her clothes, however, that none of the women approached or spoke to her for fear of her finery. Learning her lesson thus, she came next Sunday in a simple linen dress and found no difficulty in meeting and making friends wit her neighbors. Ladd was familiarly known as "Judge" for many years on account of his office as judge of the court of sessions. He was a tavern keeper and owned a tannery; was town treasurer, selectman. He married, in 1760, Ruth Hutchins, who died July 8, 1817. The family was related to the Websters of the neighboring town of Salisbury, New Hampshire, to which Daniel Webster belonged. Children, born at Haverhill, New Hampshire: 1. Abiah, January 21, 1761. 2. Joseph, December 15, 1764; mentioned below. 3. Molly, February 14, 1766. 4. Ezekiel, May 18, 1768. 5. Hannah, May 3, 1772. 6. Abigail, May 27, 1774. 7. Moody, December 15, 1777. 8. James, July 6, 1782.

(VI) Joseph, son of Ezekiel Ladd, was born December 15, 1764; died December 21, 1836. He was educated in the public schools and was for many years a prosperous merchant. He was a town clerk in 1799-1800--03-05-06. He married Sarah Ring, who died March 8, 1851. Children, born at Haverhill: 1. Pamela, June 27, 1786. 2. Lavinia, September 18, 1787. 3. Joseph, May 20, 1789. 4. Otis Freeman, February 23, 1791. 5. Persis, January 11, 1793. 6. Lewis, August 1, 1794. 7. Sally, June 17.

Page 198

1796. 8. Amasa Scott, March 17, 1799. 9. William Hutchins, July 4, 1801. 10. Louisa B., August 4, 1803; married Warren Ives (see Ives VII). 11. Peabody Webster, August 18, 1809. 12. Charlotte, August 18, 1814.

HOLMES. Lieutenant Adam Holmes, of new Braintree, Massachusetts, was born about 1720. He purchased with Robert Hunter, also of New Braintree, one hundred acres of woodland in New Braintree, of Joseph Crosby, Esquire, of Braintree, Massachusetts, deed drawn October 9, 1747, recorded July 5, 1748 (Worcester Deeds, vol. 23, p. 474.).

The above is the earliest record regarding Adam Holmes that has so far been found. He was one of the original settlers of the district; he signed with others in June, 1749, a petition to the general court, praying that the so-called "Braintree Farms: together with the "West Wing" of Rutland, now Oakham, be set off as a separate township. This was in opposition to a petition to construct a town out of "Braintree Farms" and portions of Brookfield and Hardwick. Those desiring a union of the "West Wing" with the "Farms" were Presbyterians; Adam Holmes was of this number and probably a Presbyterian and Scotchman. He was ensign and lieutenant of the New Braintree Company, Third Regiment Worcester County Militia, Colonel John Murray, commissioned October, 1761. (Massachusetts Archives, Muster Rolls, vol. 30, 32.) He married Hannah Thompson, who died in New Braintree, in her seventy-seventh year. He died in New Braintree, June 4, 1789, in his sixty-ninth year, and was buried in the East or Wilcox Cemetery, at New Braintree. His will is among the probate records of Worcester (No. 3,535). Children, al born in New Braintree: 1. James, January 12, 1748. 2. Abraham, March 3, 1750, mentioned below. 3. Sarah, April 14, 1751. 4. Mary, August 12, 1753. 5. William, November 23, 1755. 6. Jennet, March 6, 1758. 7. Lydia, August 26, 1760. 8. Hannah, April 23, 1763.

(II) Abraham, son of Adam Holmes, was born in New Braintree, March 3, 1750. He married (first) November 24, 1774, in Brookfield, Massachusetts, Ruth, daughter of Robert (4), John (3), John (2), James (1), and Jemima Cutler. She was born in Brookfield, January 4, 1757, died in Westford, Vermont, March 13, 1812. He married (second) in Brookfield, March 31, 1814, Widow Mary Gilbert. He died June 29, 1833, at Westford. Children, all born in Brookfield: 1. Patty, November 16, 1775. 2. Ruth, March 17, 1777. 3. Hannah, October 22, 1778. 4. Adam, January 21, 1780, mentioned below. 5. Ephraim, July 29, 1781. 6. Manley, August 19, 1783. 7. Phoebe, March 9, 1786. 8. Abraham, June 1, 1788. 9. Jonathan, January 9, 1792. 10. John, June 5, 1795.

(III) Adam (2), son of Abraham Holmes, was born January 21, 1780, in Brookfield. He married, December 30, 1802, in New Braintree, Hannah, daughter of Nehemiah and Lucy (Nye) Packard, of Oakham. She was born in Oakham, May 14, 1780, died in Westford, April 6, 1850. He died in Westford, November 29, 1827. Children, all born in Westford: 1. Susan, July 31, 1803. 2. Lucy, June 26, 1805. 3. Henry Harden, April 18, 1807. 4. Horace Warren, October 26, 1808. 5. Jonathan Barns, February 28, 1811, mentioned below. 6. --------------, male child. 7. Ruth, August 5, 1813. 8. Nehemiah Packard. 9. Heman Allen. 10. Hannah, January 19, 1826.

(IV) Jonathan Barns, son of Adam (20 Holmes, was born February 28, 1811, in Westford. He married, in Westford, March 2, 1835, Sarah C. Bates, of Westford. She was born September 28, 1817, died in Stockholm, New York, April 11, 1902. Children, the first five born in Westford; the last three born in Lawrence, New York. 1. Almon

Page 199

Griffin, March 31, 1836. 2. Adaline, May 18, 1838. 3. George Harmon, April 16, 1740. 4. Charles Rice, mentioned below. 5. Adam Jonathan, March 9, 1844. 6. Sarah Jane, October 15, 1848. 7. Lorenzo Dunton, August 22, 1851. 8. Heman Fremont, 1856.

(V) Charles Rice, son of Jonathan Barns Holmes, was born at Westford, April 14, 1842, died November 22, 1907, at Potsdam, New York. He was educated in the public schools and learned the trade of carpenter. He enlisted in the navy in 1864 and spent one year in the service in the North Atlantic squadron. In 1865 he engaged in milling at Norwood, New York, in the employ of the firm of Loveless & Fonda, who were at that time building the steam mill. During his first year he "second hand," and then for seven years foreman. During that time he had charge of rebuilding the water mill and installing improved machinery. For one year he was in partnership with William Kemp in the American House at Norwood, then he sold his interests to his partner, and bought the Elm Street restaurant at Potsdam of H. L. & M. V. B. Ives. The following year he was in partnership with his brothers, A. J. Holmes, in Gouverneur, in the mills of Dean, Aldrich & Weston. In 1877 he went to Muskegon, Michigan, where he engaged for three years in the lumber business. Returning to New York he refitted the old Elm Street restaurant in partnership with his brother, A. J. Holmes, and they conducted it as a hotel under the name of "The Albion." They also built and operated the A. Sherman lumber mill at Sissonville. The hotel was a new four-story structure, thirty-three feet in front, with a two-story annex, which was destroyed by fire in the fall of 1883. A new wing was then built for dining room, kitchen, sample rooms and out-kitchen with about forty more rooms. Afterward the firm bought the Tupper property to the east of the hotel and Mrs. R. C. Holmes bought the McChesney property which was used as a park in connection with the hotel. In 1899 he retired from the hotel business, and during he last years of his life was in the lumber business in North Carolina in partnership with his brother, A. J. Holmes. He was a member of Raquette River Lodge, No. 213, Free and Accepted Masons; of St. Lawrence Lodge of Perfection; Central City Commandery, Knights Templar; of Media Temple, Mystic Shrine, of Watertown, and was well known to the Masonic fraternity of this section. He married, April 11, 1882, Adelaide A. Eastman, born in Potsdam in 1841, died February, 1903. They had one child, Mildred Eastman, born in Potsdam, educated in the public schools and at the State Normal School at Potsdam.

HAMMOND. The Hammond family was numerous in northern New York before the Revolution. In Vermont the federal census of 1790 shows that Benjamin Hammond was living at Alburgh, Grand isle, Chittendon County, and had in his family two males over sixteen, three under that age and two females. There was another Benjamin Hammond, of Cambridge, New York, at the same time, another at Pawling, Dutchess County, one at Whitestown, Montgomery County. the town of Hammond, New York, was named for Abijah Hammond, a merchant and speculator of New York City, who never settled in the town. Hammond was taken from the towns of Rossie and Morristown and incorporated in 1827.

(I) Benjamin Hammond, of an old New England family, was born in Vermont about 1775. He came thence to Plattsburgh, New York, where he was a farmer. He married Elizabeth ------------. They had a son Ethan R., mentioned below.

(II) Ethan R., son of Benjamin Hammond, was born at Plattsburgh, New York, 1805, died at Morristown, New York, at the home of his daughter, August 17, 1907, aged one hundred and two years. He had a common school education. When he was about twenty-three years old he located at

Page 200

Hammond, New York, where he followed farming until within a few years of his death. His last years were spent at the home of his daughter at Morristown. He was a well-known and highly-respected citizen. He married Mary M. Stowe, of Clinton County, New York. Children: 1. Betsey. 2. Isaac, died in the service in the Civil War. 3. Ethan, mentioned below. 4. Abigail. 5. Mary, married William De Long, of Morristown, New York. 6. Loretta, married Edgar Worden (deceased), of Morristown. 7. James (deceased).

(III) Ethan, son of Ethan R. Hammond, was born in the town of Hammond New York, February 11, 1840, and is now living in Ogdensburg, New York. He was educated I the public schools. During his boyhood he worked on his father's farm. He enlisted in Company B, One hundred and Forty-second Regiment, New York Volunteers, at North Hammond, August 29, 1862, and was honorably discharged February 14, 1865. He held the rank of corporal and sergeant; was present at the surrender of Fort Sumter and Charleston, South Carolina, and Fort Johnston. He was mustered out on account of ill health and never truly recovered. He returned to Hammond after he left the army and conducted his father's farm for a time. Then for a year or two he worked on the boats of the Swift Shore Line on the Hudson River. In 1867 he went to Cleveland, Ohio, where he was for a year or more an attendant in the state asylum. Since 1868 he has made his home at Ogdensburg. He was an inspector in the custom house of the United States for six years and was afterward employed ina sawmill. Finally he engaged in his present business as life and fire insurance agent. He is a member of the Acacian Lodge, No 705, Free and Accepted Masons, of Ogdensburg; a charter member of the Grand Army Post, though not now affiliated, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He married, July 4, 1866, Fannie J., born at Iroquois, Ontario, daughter of Simon and July Ault. They have one son, Joseph Frederick, mentioned below.

(IV) Joseph Frederick, son of Ethan Hammond, was born in county Dundass, Ontario, August 24, 1869. Gus parents were in Canada but a short time. He was educated in the public schools and in Ogdensburg Academy. He began to study law in the office of Congressman Malby, of Ogdensburg, but never took the examinations for admission to the bar. He accepted an appointment in the county clerk's office in 1889. As deputy clerk and clerk he served the county for eighteen years. He was from early life an active Republican and is now chairman of the Republican county committee, and president of the incorporated village of Canton, where he resides. He is an officer of the State Charities Aid Society. Since 1901 he has been one of the owners of the Canton hardware Company and since 1909 the sole proprietor. He is a member of the St. Lawrence Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Canton; of St. Lawrence Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; past commander of St. Lawrence Commandery, Knights Templar; Media Temple, Mystic Shrine, of Watertown, and of the Lodge of Perfection. He is grand patriarch of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of the state of New York; member of the Maccabees of Canton and of the Benevolent and Protective order of Elks of Ogdensburg. He married, in 1893, Jessie Howe, of Colton, New York, daughter of James P. and Clarissa (Matthews) Howe. They have one Frederick G., born at Canton, January 5, 1895.

 

Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie Axtman

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.

2004

[Index][Book Index][NY][AHGP]