Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
Hodges, immigrant ancestor, as born doubtless in England, date unknown.
He appears in this country, first in Salem, Massachusetts, where he was
appointed on the jury at the court held at Salem, March 27, 1638. He
went from Salem to Taunton, Massachusetts, soon after the latter town
was purchased by the proprietors, and is on the second list of early
settlers made out by the town clerk. His name first appears on the town
records in August, 1643, in the list of men at Taunton, between the ages
of sixteen and sixty, able to bear arms. On March 24, 1643-44, the town
voted "that a sufficient carte-way be made from the houses into the
woods behind the ground of William Hodges, William Evans and Aaron
Knapp, where it is most convenient." He was propounded freeman June
6, 1649, and admitted freeman June 5, 1651. On the last date he was also
appointed constable at Taunton. He was on the grand jury June 2, 1652m
and on a coroner's jury August 2, 1653, at Plymouth Court. He was one of
the original stockholders of the first Taunton Iron Works, and
subscribed twenty pounds for a whole share. He seems to have held
considerable property, and there is still on file at Plymouth an
inventory of his goods. He married Mary, daughter of Henry Andrews, one
original purchasers of Taunton, in 1637. Henry Andrews was one of the first seven freemen of the town, one of the first two deputies to the general court in 1639 deputy also in 1643-44-47-49; one of the firs stockholders of the Taunton iron Works, and in other ways one of the most prominent men of the town. He died in 1653. Mary Andrews was born about 1628, died after 1700. After the death of William Hedges, her fist husband, April 2, 1654, she married (second) Peter Pitts, of Taunton. The latter died 1692 or 1693. Children, born in Taunton: 1. John, born in 1650, mentioned below. 2. Henry, 1652.
(II) John, son of William Hodges, was born 1650, in Taunton, died in the same town between May 27 and October 1, 1719. He was bequeathed by his grandfather, Henry Andrews, a certain dwelling house and garden, with land belonging to it, situated in Taunton. He never made this place his home, but lived s short distance west of Taunton Green, on the old Providence Road. The house in which he lived was town down by his son William, and a new one built on the same site as early as 1730. This house and lot have been owned and occupied by his descendants until the present time. John Hodges was a man of enterprising, and accumulated a large amount of real estate. He was one of the original purchasers of Taunton South Purchase (Dighton) bought of King Philip, November 26, 1672. He was on a coroner's jury at Plymouth Court, September 20, 1672. He was in the second squadron of the Taunton Military Company, April 8, 1682. He was appointed constable of Taunton, June 3, 1684, and January 5, 1709-010, he gave an acre of land, as an inducement to settle, to the first minister who should settle in Taunton North Purchase (Norton). He married, 1672, Elizabeth, daughter of George and Susannah (Street) Macey, of Taunton. She died January 25, 17187-19, at Norton, Massachusetts. Her father was one of the original purchasers of Taunton. He was enrolled in the military company there in 1643, and rose through the various grades to the rank of captain. He was one of those appointed to "order town affairs" in 1648-50-58, and was town surveyor in 1649-55-68, and constable in 1650. He was selectman from 1671 to 1686 inclusive; deputy to the general court from 1672 to 1677 and 1680; and was magistrate for the county of Plymouth in 1690. He was also on the committee appointed to take invoice of the liquors powder, shot and lead brought into the town, and was often called upon to take inventories, settle estates, bound lands, etc. His wife Susannah was a daughter of Rev. Nicholas Street, of Taunton. The will of John Hodges was dated May 27, 1719, proved October 1, 1719. Children, born in Taunton: 1. John, born April 5, 1673. 2. Nathaniel, April 2, 1675. 3. Samuel, May 20, 1678. 4. William, June 6, 1682. 5. George, November 27, 1785. 6. Ebenezer, March 13, 1687-88, died young. 7. Nathan, October 23, 1690.
(III) William (2), son of John Hodges, was born June 6, 1682, in Taunton. He settled fist in Taunton, North Purchase (Norton), and was among the petitioners, 1707 to 1709, for having the North Purchase set off as a separate church precinct. He built his house near what was then a common, used for many years as a burying ground and training field, not far from the principal highway from Attleborough to Bridgewater. He took up land which was claimed to be a part of the common. The town authorities made protests against this action and offered other land in exchange, but the exchange was not effected until 1728. After his father's death he removed to Taunton and occupied the former's homestead until 1730 when he built a new house on the same site. He was a man of influence in Taunton, and captain of the Third Military Company of that town. In 1735 he was one of the founders of the town of New Taunton on the Connecticut, afterwards
Westminster, Vermont. He married (first) February 8, 1710-11, at Taunton, Hannah, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Leonard) Tisdale, of Taunton. She was born 1688, died March 7, 1715-16. He married (second) March 2, 1719-20, at Scituate, Massachusetts, Mary, daughter of Joseph and Abigail (Allen) Clapp. She was born March 6, 1696-97, at Scituate, died April 20, 1756, at Woodstock, Connecticut, while visiting her daughter. He died June 23, 1766, at Taunton. Children; 1. George, mentioned below. 2. Abigail, born May 4, 1713, at Norton. 3. Job, 1721, at Taunton. 4. Elijah, 1724 or 1725, at Taunton. 5. Abijah, 1728, at Taunton. 6. Mary, 1731 or 1732, at Taunton.
(IV) George, son of William (2) Hodges, was born 1711 or 1712, in Taunton, or Norton, died 1786. He married, July 27, 1717, at Taunton, Susannah, daughter of Morgan and Susannah (Willis) Cobb. Six months after his marriage, February 7, 1738-39, his house in Norton was burned, the first destruction of a house in that town of which there is any record. It was doubtless at this time that he moved into his father's house at the east end of the Norton Common Burying Ground, where he lived for a number of years. In 1749 and 1750 he kept a public house. In 1753 he bought on of the pews in the new meeting house. In April, 1754, he bought of his cousin, Seth Hodges, sixty acres of land with a dwelling house and other buildings, in Woodstock, Connecticut, and at some date later than August 11, 1754, he took his family there.
He served in the French and Indian War, from March 27 to December 1, 1760, in Captain Daniel McFarland's company, Colonel Willard's regiment. It is supposed that both he and his wife are buried in the old graveyard at South Warren, Massachusetts. Children: 1. George, born June 26, 1739, in Norton. 2. Silas, February 11, 1741-42, mentioned below. 3. Susannah, 1744-45, in Norton. 4. Elkanah, May 19, 1747, in Norton. 5. Daniel, April 17, 1754, in Norton. 6. Leonard, march 25, 1759, in Woodstock.
(V) Dr. Silas Hodges, son of George Hodges, was born February 11, 1741-42, in Norton. He practiced medicine for a number of year at Woodcock, and afterwards at Dunbarton, New Hampshire, where he was living at the beginning of the Revolution. He served as surgeon in the Continental Army and was some time in personal attendance on General Washington, who intrusted him with important commissions, and admitted him to a friendly social relationship. His granddaughter, Mrs. Emma F. Gillette, remembers accounts of his attending the receptions of Lady Washington, and at times, as her partner, leading the minuet. The sleeve buttons and shirt stud which he wore while surgeon on Washington's staff were presented to the Antiquarian Museum at Rutland, Vermont.
He appears to have had a semi-official connection with some of the New England state governments, and his name occurs frequently in the resolves of the general court of Massachusetts and in other public documents. After the war he practiced medicine in concord, Massachusetts. About 1784 he moved to Clarendon, Vermont, where he purchased land in the intervals of Otter Creek, and resided until his death in a house which stood west of the junction of the Middleton road with the road from Manchester to Rutland. He also bought numerous tracts of land in Addison, Chittendon and Franklin counties. The care of these estates and a mercantile business made it necessary for him to give up his medical practice. He was an able business man, and a financier o foresight and prudence. In politics he was an ardent Federalist and a devoted adherent of president Washington, as such was charged by his opponents with tendencies towards a monarchy. He held a conspicuous position in society and had a large circle of acquaintances. He married (first) June 2, 1761, in Woodstock.
Mary, daughter of Daniel and Abigail Bacon, born March 24, 1744, in Woodstock, died November 19, 1765, in the same place. He married (second), 1767, in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, Rachel, daughter of Samuel and Mary Freeman, born September 9, 1748, in Sturbridge, died between 1771 and 1776. He married (third) 1778, in concord, Mary, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Mirick) Gould, born January 17, 1760, in Concord, died July 19, 1843, in Clarendon. He died January 9, 1804, in Clarendon. He was in Boston when attacked by his last illness, but was carried to his home before he died. Soon after his death his widow built the house near the bridge across Otter Creek, which descended to her children and grandchildren. Children of first wife: 1. Anna, born January 17, 1762, in Woodstock. 2. Mary, December 7, 1763, in Woodstock. Children of second wife: 3. Drusus, born March 12, 1768, in Woodstock. 4. Rachel Freeman, July 2, 1771, in Sturbridge. Children of third wife: 5. Henry, born July 30, 1779, in Concord. 6. Susan, 1783, in Concord. 7. Silas Wyllys, January 25, 1786, in Clarendon. 8. George Tisdale, July 4, 1788, in Clarendon. 9. Hannibal, March 20, 1790, in Clarendon. 10. Sophia, December 19, 1794, in Clarendon. 11, Hyman, 1796.
(VI) Hyman, son of Dr. Silas Hodges, was born in 1796, died in 1888. He was a farmer and fought in the battle of Plattsburgh. He married ------------- Ryan. Children: 1. Henry R., further mentioned below. 2. Annetta. 3. Florence Myers. 4. Harriett.
(VII) Henry R., son of Hyman Hodges, was born in 1825, in Clinton County, New York, in what is now Chazy, ten miles north of Plattsburgh. He married Sarah Howes, born in Beekmantown, Clinton County, 1850, died 1875. Children: 1. Chester C. 2. Willis Henry, mentioned below. 3. Lawrence Myers, deceased. 4. Rollin J.
(VIII) Willis Henry, son of Henry R. Hodges, was born in West Chazy, Clinton County, New York, January 20, 1857. He was educated in the town schools and in the Massena high school. He then became a clerk in Plattsburgh, and in 1876 came to Massena, where he went into the drug store of Drs. McFadden and Anderson as a clerk for a time. In 1883 he went to Camden, New York, and went into the drug and grocery business for himself. He remained there for nine years, and returned to Massena in 1892. At that time he went into the dry goods business and has continued in that line since. He was a director in the First National Bank in Massena and served as vice-president and manager. He was instrumental in starting the public library and is on the board of trustees. He is serving on the board of education, served as president, and is chief of the fire department. He is a member of Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Massena, and in religion is a Congregationalist. He married (first) in 1880, Nellie, daughter of Festus Wright, of Massena. She died June 8, 1883, and he married (second) Nellie Hynes.
Child: 1. Eleanor Howe Hodges, born July, 1891, now in Emerson College, Boston.
ALLEN. Abraham Allen, according to the history of Milford, Massachusetts, was the progenitor of this family. His son Joseph settled in Mendon, Massachusetts, but no record of Abraham has been found there. Milford was set off from Mendon. Sons: 1. Joseph. 2. Jonathan. Perhaps others. Jonathan was a soldier in the Crown Point Expedition in 1759 under Captain John Furness from Mendon.
(II) Joseph, son of Abraham Allen, was born about 1710, died in 1802. He settled in Mendon when a young man, and was a Quaker. His name appears frequently in the public records. He married Lydia Al-
drich, of one of the old Quaker families of Mendon and Uxbridge. His will was dated April 9, 1792, and filed for probate April 6, 1802. He bequeathed to wife Lydia, sons Alvin, Ahaz, Moses, Ezra and Joseph, and to Caleb, son of his son Caleb. Children: 1. Caleb, mentioned in the will, died before 1792; married March 2, 1769, Lucy, daughter of Oliver Mann. 2. Moses, mentioned below. 3. Ezra, born October 18, 1747; married Lucy Aldrich. Children: Ruth, born June 22, 1770, and Lydia, at Richmond, New Hampshire, December 13, 1772.4. Joseph, mentioned in will, perhaps the eldest. 5. Alvin, born October 21, 1756; lived in Milford. Two others, according to the Milford history, must have died before 1792.
(III) Moses, son of Joseph Allen, was born at Mendon, Massachusetts, November 30, 1745. He and his brother Ezra settled near each other at Richmond, New Hampshire, with many other Quakers from Mendon. Joseph, another brother, settled in the southeast part of the town of Richmond. All came there about 1767. Moses remained and the others brothers moved away. He died there in 1824. His farm was on lot 9, range 5, and he built the house which, at last accounts, was still standing. The place was afterwards owned by Amos Martin. He married (fist) November 5, 1767, Comfort, born December 10, 1745, died October 28, 1804, daughter of Joseph Buffum. He married (second) at Richmond, Phebe McIntyre, who died in 1829. Children of first wife, born at Richmond, and the first seven recorded in the records of the Friends at Smithfield, Rhode Island, to the Monthly Meeting of which Moses Allen and other Mendon Quakers belonged: Abraham, September 25, 1768, probably at Mendon, for his is the only birth of the family not recorded at Richmond; mentioned below. 2. Jerathmeel, May 11, 1770. 3. Moses, May 25, 1772. 4. Comfort, July 12, 1774; married Silas Boyce. 5. Hannah, September 24, 1776. 6. Abigail December 5, 1779. 7. Martha, June 3, 1781. 8. Margaret, August 11, 1783. 9. Sally, June 30, 1786. 10, Lydia, May 2, 1788.
(IV) Abraham (2), son of Moses Allen, was born at Mendon, Massachusetts, September 25, 1768, and is recorded in the Friends Church, at Smithfield, Rhode Island; died at Brushton, New York, about 1836. He resided at Richmond, New Hampshire, on the place between Tully Brook and Danvers martin, on the north side of the road. a few old apple trees mark the site of the old dwelling house. He removed to Croyden, New Hampshire, about 1800, and afterward to Brushton, New York. He married, at Richmond, December 30, 1790, Keziah Potter (by Henry Ingalls). Children; 1. Senah, born at Richmond, November 9, 1791. 2. William Porter, born at Richmond, January 5, 1795. 3. Osborn, October 13, 1797, mentioned below. 4. Abraham.
(V) Osborn, son of Abraham (2) Allen, was born at Richmond, New Hampshire, October 13, 1797, died at Rochester, New York, about 1848. He came to northern new York in 1825 with his father and located at Fort Covington, where he followed farming until 1837. For two years he was a general merchant there and for two years conducted a hotel. He engaged in the boot and show business at Rochester, New York, and continued there the remainder of his days. He married Elizabeth Hunt, born at Lyman, New Hampshire, 1792, died 1837. Children: 1. Gerard B. 2. Joseph Osborn. 3. Orren I. 4. Luther B. 5. Reuben. 6. Marcia A. 7. Emily M.
(VI) Joseph Osborn, son of Osborn Allen, was born in Lyman, New Hampshire, November 12, 1822, and is now living in Brushton, New York. He came to Fort Covington with his father and grandfather when he was about three years of age, and was educated in the public schools of that town. He worked in his father's store and hotel at Fort Covington, and also learned
the trade of blacksmith. He worked at blacksmithing at Bombay, Cato landing, Canada, and opened a shop afterward at Fort Covington on his own account. Later he was in business in Brushton. He enlisted in 1861 in the Civil War from Durham, New Hampshire. At that time he was working at his trade in the adjacent town of South Berwick, Maine. He served two years and nine months in the Sixth New Hampshire Regiment and took part in the battles of Petersburg, Cold Harbor, Wilderness, Weldon Railroad, Knoxville and in many other less important engagements. He became a corporal and when he was mustered out had the rank of sergeant. He worked at his trade as blacksmith in concord, New Hampshire, after leaving the army, until January, 1766, then at Fort Covington and Bombay, New York. Since 1870 he has made his home at Brushton, where he conducts a prosperous business for many years. He is a member of Aldrich Post, No. 363, Grand Army of the Republic, Brushton, and of the Christian Church of that town. He married (second) August 1, 1650, Christiana Scott, born at Fort Covington, daughter of Gershom and Sally (Mills) Scott. Her father was born at Cornwall, Vermont; her mother at Middlebury, Vermont. Children of second wife: 1. Cornelia, born march 30, 1851, died aged twenty years. 2. Osborn, died in infancy. 3. William, died in infancy. 4. Henrietta, married Benajah Hines, of Canton, New York; two children. 5. William Durham, November 17, 1857,. 6. George Curren, February 20, 1850; married Jennie Dustin. Children: Mabel, Ruth, Arthur, Elizabeth, Lester, Marion. 7. Joseph Osborn, mentioned below. 8. Walter, November 18, 1867, married Hattie Bucklin. Children; Nellie, Neva, and Christiana. 9. Frederick Henry, January 15, 1870; married Mabel Manning; children: Grant, Kenneth, Henrietta, Marjorie and Nellie.
(VII) Joseph Osborn (2), son of Joseph Osborn (1) Allen, was born in Moira, New York, September 12, 1862. He was educated in the public schools of Brushton. He learned the trade of painter and paper hanger and was in the business as a contractor for many years, employing several men. He bought the Brushton House in 1907 and has conducted it since then. In politics he is a Republican. He was constable of the town of Moira for twelve years and was deputy sheriff under Sheriff's Douglas and Wilson. He was nominated for high sheriff twice, but his party was in the minority. He has been state officer of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals for seven years and still holds that position. He was active in organizing the First national Bank of Brushton recently. He is a member of the local organization of the sons of Veterans and member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He married, in 1887, Florence N., born May 8, 1865, daughter of Asa Wilson, of Bangor, New York. they have one son, Milton Wilson, born July 12, 1897.
DONALDSON. Donaldson is an old Scotch surname , meaning simply son of Donald, and Donald is an even more ancient Scotch personal name. The family was seated at an early date in Aberdeenshire, Edinburghshire and Lanarkshire, Scotland. We find the name of Thomas Donaldson among the prominent persons suffering religious persecution in 1669-70. About a hundred had letter of intercommuning issued against them, death being the penalty to any person who should offer them food comfort or succor. A branch of the family settled in the province of Ulster early in the seventeenth century after King James had granted the north of Ireland to Scotch Presbyterians and English Protestants. In 1653 an order to remove all "the popular Scots" from Down and Antrim counties to Munster included the names of John don-
aldson of the West Quarters of Carrickfergus and a Mr. Donaldson of Genarin Barony.
The family is numerous at the present time in the counties of Antrim and Armagh, province of Ulster, north of Ireland, and of the thirty-three children born in Ireland in Donaldson families in 1890 all but two were in three counties and of old Scotch Presbyterian stock. The family is also found in England. In the records of emigrants sailing from the port of London we find Peter Donaldson, aged thirty-three, a mason by trade, coming from Edinburgh in the ship "Greyhound" bound for Dominica.
(I) Thomas Donaldson, immigrant ancestor, was born in 1786, in county Armagh, Ireland, and received his schooling there. He came to this country in 1812. During most of his active life in this country he was employed on the staff of the New York Observer. He married, in 1812, Elizabeth Waugh, at Paterson, New Jersey. Children: 1. John Joseph, mentioned below. 2. James Thomas. 3. Rebecca. 4. Eliza.
(II) John Joseph, son of Thomas Donaldson, was born in Broome Streets, New York City, October 18, 1828. He attended the public schools of that city until fifteen years old. He then became office boy for Penniman, Bird & Smith, William Street, receiving as wages but fifty dollars for his first year's work. A year later he entered the employ of H. B. Claflin in the bookkeeping department of his wholesale dry goods business. He was promoted from time to time and finally admitted to partnership in the firm. For a number of years he held the responsible position of credit man for this great business. In the early seventies he left the Claflin business to become president of the Bank of North America. At the urgent request of the Claflins he returned for a year or more, but retired again in 1877. At that time he and Mr. John Claflin made a long and interesting trip through the unexplored regions of South America. On his return he lived quietly for several years at his home in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, and traveled much abroad. In 1890 he made his home at Millbrook, Dutchess County, New York, where he remained for fifteen years. He established the Bank of Millbrook and became its president, but while there devoted most of his time to reading and gardening, of which he was especially fond. He left Millbrook a year before his death and came to New York City, where he died October 13, 1907. He was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery. He was a member of the Second Company, Seventh Regiment, and was for a time on the staff of General Shaler. He was on duty during the Astor place riots in New York. he was interested in municipal politics and was on the famous committee of seventy that helped to overthrow the Treed ring. He was a Republican, but always declined to hold public office of any kind. He was an active and prominent member of Dr. Hastings's old church on Forty-second Street (Presbyterian), and keenly interested in mission work and in the Sunday school. He was an elder of this church. A self-made man, successful to an unusual degree in business, shrewd, farsighted and enterprising, he was also something of a scholar, a life-long student, and he collected a splendid library. He married at Orange, New Jersey, March 24, 1856, Louisa Goddard, born at Montreal, Canada, May 14, 1835, daughter of James Frothingham McGowan, who was born in Ireland in 1800. Her father was engaged in the saddlery and hardware business. In 1810 he located in Canada, but on account of political difficulties he left that city in 1837 and made his home in New York City. He married Louisa Stewart Anderson, born in New York City, in 1816. Children: 1. Henry Herbert, born May 12, 1857: graduate of Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts, and of Yale College in 1879; was instructor at the Wister Institute of Anatomy, Philadelphia; was head of the biological department of the University of Chi-
cago, and now at Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts; married (first) Julia, daughter of Calvert Vaux, a landscape architect who laid out Central Park, New York City; married (second) Emma, daughter of Charles Brace, a well-known philanthropist, founder of the Children's Aid Society; children of first wife: 1. John Calvert. 2. Norman Vaux. 3. Alfred Lee, mentioned below.
(III) Alfred Lee, son of John Joseph Donaldson, was born January 9, 1866, in New York City. He lived abroad, principally in France and Italy, between the ages of six and eleven years, and during this time had a governess. He returned to New York and entered Miss DuVernet's school for boys, Thirteenth Street. Later he studied with a private tutor at Darien, Connecticut, with the intention of entering Yale College. On account his health, however, he went abroad instead, and while there studied the violin in Germany and France for several years. At the age of twenty-three, in the year 1889, he returned to New York, and began his business career as treasurer of Dr. Jaeger's Sanitary Woolen System Company. Later, wishing to learn the banking business, he went into the National Bank of North America, beginning at the foot and working upward through all the departments. In 1899 his health failed again and he came to Saranac Lake, New York, to live. In 1890 he helped to organize the Adirondack National Bank there and was its vice-president until 1909, when he retired on account of ill health. He was president of the original local telephone company until it was sold out to the Bell interests, the Hudson River Telephone Company. He was also treasurer of the local Savings and Loan Association. He has retired from all active business and is devoting his time to the writing of novels and magazine articles. Mr. Donaldson is independent in politics. He was president of the incorporated village of Saranac Lake for two years, and was a village trustee for a period of three years. He has published a book of poems entitled "Songs of My Violin," and a novel "The Paddington Case." In religion he is a Presbyterian. He is a member of White Face Mountain Lodge, No. 789, Free and Accepted Masons, and of Wanneta Chapter, No. 291, Royal Arch Masons, and of The Century Association, New York.
He married, October 25, 1902, at Fletcher's Farm, near Saranac Lake, Elizabeth Sherwood, born at Kirkwood, near Binghamton, New York, February 22, 1868, daughter of John Hunter and Susa (Turner) Hollingsworth. John Hunter Hollingsworth was born in Ireland, June 6, 1836, died in New York, October 11, 1897. He was a son of Rev. John Hollingsworth, born at Manchester, England, a Methodist preacher, having a pastorate in Ireland at the time of his son's birth, and afterward having various pastorates in the United States, whither he came when his son was a young child. John Hunter Hollingsworth was first with the firm of James N. Beck & Company, and later became the head of the silk and lace department of A. T. Stewart & Company. In 1861 he embarked in business on his own account as a manufacturer of suits and lave goods and continued with notable success as long as he lived. During the last twenty years of his life he did business under the firm name of J. H. Hollingsworth & Company at 552 Broadway, New York. For many years he was an active and prominent member of St. James Methodist Episcopal Church, Madison Avenue and One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Street, New York.
Mr. and Mrs. Donaldson have no children.
SLATER. The Slater family is of ancient English origin. Apparently some branches of the family made use of the spelling Slaughter, and the two spellings are found frequently in the same family in early days. The Slaters came to New York state long before
the Revolution. We find among the soldiers in the Revolutionary War Nicholas, Robert, John, David and William Slater. Also Nicholas and John Slaughter, perhaps the same as Nicholas and John Slater. N the census of 1790 we find David Slater at Hudson, Albany County, with a family of three females; Isaac Slater, of Mamakating, with four sons under sixteen and four females; John and Reuben Slater, heads of family at Amenia, Dutchess County; Robert and William Slater at Watervliet, Albany County, and William Slater, of the town of Northeast, Dutchess County.
(I) Jackson Slater, of this New York branch of the family, was born in Jay, Essex County, New York, about 1811, died there in 1856. He was educated in the district schools, and learned the trade of bloomer or iron worker. He married Mary Dudley, born at Keene, Essex County, New York. Children: 1. Addison, deceased. 2. Samuel, lives in Oklahoma. 3. Dillon, lived in Wisconsin. 4. John, deceased. 5. George, deceased. 6. Wallace, lives at Saranac Lake, New York. 8. Mary, deceased. All but one of the sons served in the federal army in the Civil War.
(II) Warren J., son of Jackson Slater, was born May 30, 1852, in Jay, Essex County, New York. He was educated in the public schools of Jay and Saranac Lake, whither he went with the family when he was but eight years of age and where he lived for a period of forty-five years. He enlisted in 1864 at Plattsburgh, New York, in Company E, One Hundred and Eighteenth New York Regiment of Volunteers, and was transferred to Company G, Ninety-sixth New York Regiment. He served in the campaigns in Virginia in the Civil War and took part in the battles of Chapin's Farm and Fort Harrison, where he was wounded. He was doctor's orderly, to the brigade surgeon. He entered Richmond with his regiment in April, 1865, and was mustered out of service in February, 1866. He returned home and in 1870 went to work in the Manchester Print Works at Manchester, New Hampshire. After two years there he returned to Saranac Lake and engaged in business as a carpenter and builder. He took contracts for building many camps and cottages in the summer resorts of this section, and seemed to have especial shill and ability in this line of work. He knew the woods and mountains, and for twenty-two years was a guide in the Adirondacks for Mrs. Quincy A. Shaw and for seven years caretaker for R. D. Douglass in the Adirondacks. In 1905 he removed to the town of Altamont, New York, where he has since lived. He followed building for a time there, and then retired. In 1909 he took the contract for carrying the mails between the Moody post office and Tupper Lake, and since then has been occupied in carrying out this contract. In politics he is a Republican. He was at one time constable, deputy sheriff of the county, justice of the peace of the town for twenty-five years, member of the board of education for many years and president part of the time. He was a charter member of Whiteface Mountain Lodge, No. 789, Free and Accepted Masons, of Saranac Lake, and at present member of Mt. Arab Lodge, No. 847, Free and Accepted Masons, of Tupper Lake; charter member of Wanneta Chapter, No. 291, Royal Arch Mason, of Saranac Lake; of Franklin Commandery, No. 60, Knights Templar, of Malone, New York; of Media Temple, Mystic Shrine, of Watervliet; and of Syracuse Consistory, thirty-second degree Mason, Scottish Rite. He is also a member of Altamont Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Tupper Lake; F. M. Bull Post, No. 621, Grand Army of the Republic, of Saranac Lake.
He married (fist) Sarah Moody. Married (second) Emma Washer, born at Plattsburgh, died at Saranac Lake, 1901,
aged forty-six years, daughter of George and Emily (Vaughn) Washer. Married (third) Lyle Mills. Children, all by second wife: 1. Francis Hall, mentioned below. 2. Tilson Moss, born January 7, 1882, died October 6, 1885. 3. Isabelle, born April 30, 1888, died February 19, 1903.
(III) Francis Hall, son of Warren J. Slater, was born at Saranac Lake, New York, July 18, 1878. He attended the public schools there. He entered Syracuse University in 1896 and spent four years at special work, entering the law school in 1900, and was graduated in 1903. In the same year he was admitted to the bar and for a year or more had charge of the law office of J. C. Little, of Saranac Lake. He opened an office for himself in Tupper Lake in 1904, and has continued in general practice in that town since then. He also conducts a large fire insurance business. He is secretary of the board of trade of Tupper Lake. In politics he is a Republican. He is past master of Mount Arab Lodge, no. 847, free and Accepted Masons; member of Wanneta Chapter, No. 291, Royal Arch Masons, of Saranac Lake; of Franklin Commandery, No. 60, Knights Templar, of Malone; of Karnak Temple, Mystic Shrine, of Montreal, Canada. He is thrice potent past master of St. Lawrence Lodge of Perfection, Norwood, New York, and member of Central City Consistory, Syracuse, thirty-second degree Mason, Scottish Rite. He is also past patron of Mount Morris Chapter, No. 361, Order of the Eastern Star, and past chancellor of Racquette River Lodge, No. 419, Knights of Pythias, of Tupper Lake. He belongs to the Beta Theta Pi college fraternity, and the B. O. R. Club of New York City. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He married, in 1901, Bessie I., born April 14, 1881, daughter of John P. and Alice (Smith) Frost, of Syracuse, New York. Children: 1. Laura Mildred, born August 3, 1902. 2. Barbara Irene, July 17, 1906. 3. Kenneth Francis, July 4, 1909.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.