Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
|LOVELESS. The Lovelace or
Loveless family settled in colonial days in New York. In the Revolution
there were in the American Army from New York Benjamin, Elisha Jeremiah,
John, Joseph, Joshua, William and George Loveless or Lovelace. The
spelling was used interchangeably by the families. There was a Governor
Lovelace in new York. Six brothers, descendants of Governor Lovelace,
resided during the Revolution at or near Jessup's Falls, and one of them
who lived near the Stiles Place in the town of Wilton was in one of the
last years of the war and executed at Schuylerville was a spy by order
of General Stark, after a drumhead court martial. In 1790, according to
the first federal census, Angus Lovelace was living at Rensselaerwyck,
New York; George, Jeremiah, John, Joseph and Joseph Lovelace, Jr., were
heads of families in Pittstown, Albany County. William Lovelace lived at
Frederickstown, Dutchess County.
(I) Daniel Dudley Loveless was born in Saratoga, formerly Albany county, and died at Hadley,. 1868-69, aged sixty years. He married Prudence Jenkins. Children: 1. Wesley. 2. William D. 3. Marietta. 4. Joel. 5. Fannie Frances. 6. Edward J. 7. Susan.
(II) William D., son of Daniel Dudley Loveless, was born at Moriah, Essex County, March 17, 1831, died in West Burke, Vermont, 1895. He received a common school education. When a young man he went to Glens Falls and engaged in business in partnership with James Sisson. Later he was in partnership with a Mr. Fonda, to whom he eventually gold his business. In 1861 he removed to Potsdam, New York. He bought a water privilege there and built a mill in which he manufactured lumber. He also did a lumbering business in that section. In 1859 he sold his business there to Henry Watkins and C. W. Lee, and removed to Norwood, New York, having a controlling interest in the Racquette River Power Company and the Water Power at
Norwood. He was in business at Norwood until 1875, when he removed to Norwich, Connecticut. After four years he went to Springfield, Massachusetts, and embarked in the wholesale lumber business. From there he went to Florida a few years after and carried on an extensive lumber business. In 1893 he went to West Burke, Vermont, having extensive lumber interests in Canada, and a sawmill at West Burke. He was actively engaged in the manufacture of lumber to the time of his death. In politics he was a Republican and he served as excise commissioner in the town of Potsdam. He was president of the village of Norwood. He was always greatly interested in education, and he was instrumental in establishing a graded school system in Norwood. He was a member of the Lodge of Free Masons at Glens Falls. In religions he was a Congregationalist.
He married, May 19, 1856, Cornelia A., born May 20, 1831, died in 1878, daughter of James and Gulielma (Wing) Sisson. Children: 1. Frederick Wing, mentioned below. 2. George S., attorney-at-law at Muskegon, Michigan; married (first) Elizabeth Douglass and had a son William; married (second) Ida Ellison and had a son Frank. 3. William Curtis, born in Glens Falls, New York, engaged in the lumber business at Georgetown, South Carolina; children: Roy, Myrtis, Curtis, Irene, James and William. 4. Charles (twin of William Curtis), was burned to death at Potsdam when four years old. 5. James E., born in Potsdam, New York; engaged in the lumber business at Central Falls, Rhode Island; married Florence Vaslette. 6. Helen Blanche, born in Potsdam, New York; married George L. Weston, architect of Pawtucket, Rhode Island; children: Dorcas and Gifford Weston. 7. Daniel Dudley, born Norwood, New York; is with the American Woodworking Company of Rochester, New York; married Helen M. Lower and had Daniel Dudley, Jr. 8. Meredith B., born Norwood, New York; cashier of the American Woodworking Company of Rochester; married Minnie Byner.
(III) Frederick Wing, son of William D. Loveless, was born at Glens Falls, New York, August 19, 1857. He removed with his parents to St. Lawrence County, and was educated at the public schools of Norwood and at the State Normal School at Potsdam. When a youth and young man he worked in his father's mill at Norwood. He was in Connecticut for two years and a half. In 1879 he went to Muskegon, Michigan, and lived there until 1890. Then he went to Wisconsin and Minnesota. In 1896 he returned east and spent a year in Vermont, then in March, 1897, entered the employ of the A. Sherman Lumber Company, remaining until June, 1903, when he came to Tupper Lake, New York, was manager of the business of A. Sherman Lumber Company in that section. He has held this position since that time and has been since boyhood activity connected with the lumber business. In politics he is a Republican; in religion a Presbyterian. He married, May 18, 1880, Jessie Reynolds, of Stockholm, New York, daughter of Waite and Sarah E. (Rude) Reynolds. Children: 1. Waite R., born at Muskegon, Michigan, March 6, 1881; educated at DeMoines high school and at the Clarkson Technical Institute at Potsdam; now in Chicago; assistant electrical engineer of the Illinois Steel Company; married Juliette Pike, of Lynn, Massachusetts; child, Dorothy Grace, born August 17, 1908. 2. Helen M., born at De Moines, September 19, 1894, lives with parents at Tupper Lake.
FISHER. This name, being that of one of the employments of men, is found in all nations and languages. The family in Lyons Falls, New York, descend from English ancestry. Papworth thus describes a coat-of-arms granted to a Fisher: "Azure, a dolphin enbowed naint or." A seal, the device being the above coat, was used by the Fish-
ers of Dedham, Massachusetts, and may still be found affixed to Indian treaties and deed negotiate by Captain Daniel Fisher. The family seat was in the parish of Syleham, county of Suffolk, England, on the south bank of the Waverly River. The ancestor was Anthony Fisher, whose wife was Mary fisher, daughter of William and Anne Fiske, of St. James, South Elmsham, Suffolk, an old Puritan family which suffered persecution during the reign of Queen Mary. Anthony Fisher of Syleham resided on a freehold estate called "Wignotte". Children: 1. Anthony (see forward). 2. Cornelius. 3. Joshua. 4. Amos. 5. Marie. 6. Martha. Anthony fisher, the father, died 1640.
(I) Anthony (2), son of Anthony (1) of Syleham, England, was born there and baptized April 23, 1691. Arrived in Boston, Massachusetts, on the ship "Rose,"" June 26, 1637, with his first wife, Mary, and children. He did not long remain there, but made permanent settlement in Dedham. He lived in England during the later years of the reign of Queen Elizabeth, and his wife Mary was also one of the Puritan family that suffered persecution during the reign of Queen Mary. He subscribed to the Dedham covenant, July 18, 1637. His wife Mary was received into the Dedham Church, March 27, 1645, but he was not "comfortably received into ye church," on account of his "proud and haughty spirit," until March 14, 1645. He was made a freeman, May, 1645, was selectman, deputy and "woodseever". He was strong and positive in character and a man of means. He married (second) Isabel, widow of Edward Brick. Children, all by first wife Mary, and born in England: 1. Anthony (see forward). 2. Cornelius. 3. Nathaniel. 4. Daniel. 5. Lydia. 6. John.
(II) Anthony (3), son of Anthony (2) and Mary Fisher, was born in England; came to America with his parents and settled with them at Dedham in 1637. He was a member of the "Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company: in 1644, joined the Dedham Church in 1645, and took the oath of a freeman in 1646. He was a surveyor of Dedham. He lived just before his death, which occurred February 13, 1670, within the bounds of Dorchester. He married in Dedham, September 7, 1647, Joanna, only daughter of Thomas and Joanna Faxon, of Braintree. She died October 16, 1694. Children: 1. Mehitable. 2. Experience. 3. Josiah, (see forward). 4. Abiah. 5. Sarah. 6. Deborah. 7. Judith. 8. Eleazer.
(III) Josiah, son of Anthony (30 and Joanna (Faxon) Fisher, was born in Dedham, Massachusetts, May 1, 1654, and died in the same town, April 12, 1736. He was made a freeman February 13, 1683084; selectman, 1697, and served in all five terms; representative to the general court from Dedham in 1699; coroner in 1716. He became a man of wealth and influence. His homestead was appraised after his death at £800, and other land and personal property brought the total to £2022, 8s. 2d., a large sum for his day. he married (first) January 27, 1680, Meletiah, daughter of Samuel and Mary (Morse) Bullen, born in Dedham, September 15, 1655, died April 23, 1693; married (second) September 1, 1693, Joanna, daughter of Ezra and Joanna (Hoare) Morse; married (third) Abigail Greenwood; married (fourth) Mehitable Veazie. Children: 1. Bertha. 2. Josiah, by first marriage. 3. Joanna. 4. Abigail, by second. 5. Experience, by third. No issue of fourth marriage.
(IV) Captain Josiah (2), son of Josiah (1) and Meletiah (Bullen) Fisher, was born in Dedham, November 25, 1683, died February 24, 1763. He was captain of militia, selectman for seven years, and a man of prominence. His estate inventoried £1236. He married, September 25, 1707, Elizabeth Avery, born at Dedham, May 16, 1684, died August 7, 1747, daughter of Deacon William and Elizabeth (White) Avery. Children: 1. Josiah (2). 2. Joseph. 3. Jonathan (see forward). 4. Samuel, one of the proprietors of Keene, New Hampshire. 5. Moses. 6. Moses (2). 7. Aaron. 8. William.
(V) Jonathan, son of Captain Josiah (2) and Elizabeth (Avery) Fisher, was born in Dedham, August 5, 1713, died October 15, 1749. (Abner Smith, the first settler of Westhampton, Massachusetts, built his second house, "near the Fisher place", which he sold to Jonathan Fisher. This property is yet possessed by the descendants of Jonathan Fisher.) He died at Westhampton, in that part formerly New Braintree. He married (first), at Dedham, December 21, 1737, Mary, daughter of James and Hannah (Metcalf) Richards. She was born in Dedham, October 15, 1719, died October 15, 1749. He married (second) August 23, 1750, Mehitable, daughter of John and Grace (Williams) Metcalf, who survived him. Children, all born in Dedham except Stephen, the youngest: 1. Mary. 2. Elizabeth. 3. Jonathan (see forward). 4. Josiah. 5. Experience. 6. Ebenezer. Children by second wife: 7. John. 8. Mehitable. 9. Aaron. 10. Grace. 11. Sarah. 12. Sarah (2). 13. Stephen.
(VI) Lieutenant Jonathan (20, son of Jonathan (1) and Mary (Richards) Fisher, was born in Dedham, Massachusetts, November 25, 1743. He resided at New Braintree and North, afterward Westhampton. In 1775 he resigned his commission in the King's Army and on March 22, 1776, his name appears "on a list of officers if Massachusetts militia chosen by field officers" as second lieutenant of Second Hampshire regiment. He was commissioned, April 5, 1776, "second lieutenant of the Fifth Company, whereof Seth Pomeroy Esqr. is colonel". He enlisted again as a private, December 20, 1776, in Jonathan Wales' company, Lieutenant Colonel S. Williams regiment, and died in camp at Morristown, New Jersey, March 10, 1777. The muster and pay roll with this information is dated at Morristown, March 15, 1777. The letter written by his comrades of Washington's army, informing Mrs. Fisher of her husband's death, is preserved along with his lieutenant's commission. He left seven children, the oldest being nine years of age. His widow died in Paterson, New Jersey, at the home of her son, Rev. Samuel Fisher, who was a posthumous son. He married, October 22, 1766, Catherine Avery, born in Dedham, October 31, 1746, eldest daughter of Deacon William and Bertha (Metcalf) Avery, and a sister of the well-known Congregational minister of Holden, Massachusetts, Rev. Josiah Avery. Children: 1. Rev. Jonathan, graduate of Harvard, "Preacher, teacher, farmer, carpenter, clockmaker, portrait painter, wood engraver, poet well versed in Hebrew, wrote three thousand sermons an early rise, great walker, and faithful Christian", (see "A Down East Village"), 2. Stephen. 3. Catherine. 4. Mary Rebecca. 5. William. 6. Samuel.
(VII) Rev. Samuel Fisher, D. D., son of Lieut. Jonathan (2) and Catherine (Avery) Fisher, was born in Sunderland, Massachusetts, June 30, 1777, where his mother was temporarily an inmate of the home of her relative, Rev. Samuel Ware. He was graduated at William College, entered the ministry of the Presbyterian Church; was pastor of the church at Morristown, New Jersey, then the largest in the state; first moderator of the New School division of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church, in 1837, the time of the division between the old and new branches. "As a theologian he was clear and thorough, as a preacher he was direct, instructive, scriptural and in the highest, fullest sense, popular. He possessed the power of vivid statement to a remarkable degree. It was impossible to doubt his deep sincerity of soul." The degree of D. D. was conferred by Princeton College and he honored the title. He married, August 22, 1805, Alice, born June 15, 1777, died at Orange, New Jersey, April, 1851, only child of Dr. James and Elizabeth (Davenport) Cogswell of Preston, Connecticut, and granddaughter of Rev. James and Alice (Fitch) Cogswell of Windham, Connecticut. Another son of Rev. James was Dr. Mason
Fitch Cogswell, founder of the Hartford, Connecticut Asylum for Deaf Mutes. Children of Rev. Samuel Fisher: 1. Elizabeth Davenport, married Rev. Josiah Fisher. 2. Dr. James Cogswell, a physician and noted literary and scientific man. 3. Catherine. 4. Harriet Cogswell. 5. Samuel Ware; see forward. 6. Mary Davenport, married Dr. Horace Kimball.
(VIII) Rev. Samuel Ware Fisher, D. D., LL. D., son of Rev. Samuel Fisher, D. D., and his wife Alice (Cogswell) Fisher, was born in Morristown, New Jersey, April 5, 1814. He was graduated from Yale College in 1835, spent a year in Middletown, Connecticut, pursued his theological studies at Princeton, New Jersey, for two years, and was graduated from Union Theological Seminary, in New York, in 1839. He was immediately called to the newly organized Presbyterian Church, at West Bloomfield, now Montclair, New Jersey, where he was installed pastor, April 18, 1839. In 1843 he removed to a larger and more trying field of labor, being installed October 13 of that year pastor of the Fourth Church of Albany, New York. That church was probably then the largest in the entire Presbyterian denomination, having in excess of nine hundred names upon the church roll of membership. How well Rev. Fisher succeeded in this field as a vigorous, eloquent and effective preacher is best evidenced by the fact that in 1846 he was called to succeed that most popular, widely known and powerful preacher of the New School, Rev. Lyman Beecher, D. D., as pastor of the Second Presbyterian Church of Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1857 Rev. Fisher was moderator of the New School General Assembly which met at Cleveland, Ohio. This was a troublous time for the churches, as well as for the nation, and in the fierce discussions that ensued in the assembly the breach between the churches north and churches south opened (hardly yet closed half a century later), and the delegates from the southern synods withdrew from the assembly, forming themselves into a separate body. For eleven years Rev. Fisher continued in the Cincinnati pastorate, then in response to an urgent call accepted the presidency of Hamilton College, at Clinton, New York. He was inaugurated president of the college, July 6, 1858, entering at once upon his duties to the institution. He remained eight years at the head of Hamilton, and during some of these years, 1854-59, was a trustee of Marietta College, Ohio. He gained a high reputation as an expounder of Scripture, "especially attracted men of trained minds and thoughtful habits." On the occasion of the jubilee of the A. B. C. of Free Masons, he was chosen orator to deliver the discourse before that body. Ending his official connection with the Hamilton College, he again entered the regular pastorate of the Westminster Presbyterian Church, at Utica, New York. Failing health, followed by a severe sickness, compelled his resignation, January 13, 1871, and retirement from the active ministry. He removed to College Hill, near Cincinnati, where he died, January 18, 1874.
As a preacher he was brilliant, and "when aroused by strong emotion, he would pour forth, from a full mind and a warm heart, a tide of eloquent speech, that bore his hearers away, as with the sweep and rush of mighty waters." In his pastoral and executive duties he displayed an unwavering courage and faithfulness. He was the author of "The Three Great Temptations of Young Men," and a number of able pamphlets on religious subjects. Many of his sermons and addresses were so eloquent and uplifting that they are published by his parishioners, and are thus preserved. He received the degree of D. D. from Miami University, in 1852, and LL.D. was conferred upon him by the University of the City of New York, in 1859.
He married (first) Anna Caroline Johnson, of Morristown, New Jersey who, died August 31, 1840. He married (second) Jane Jackson (a descendant of Peter Schuy-
ler, governor of New York), daughter of Peter and Hester Van Der Linde (Brinckerhoff) Jackson, granddaughter of James and Mary (Roome) Jackson, great-granddaughter of Peter and Anna (Berry) Roome, and great-great-granddaughter of Peter Willemse and Hester (Van Gelder) Roome, who were married in the city of New York on November 26, 1684, Peter Roome (2) being the ninth child of the first Roome on record in America. Hester Van Gelder was the daughter of John Van Gelder and his wife Jane Monteroath. Mrs. Peter (Brinckerhoff) Jackson lived to celebrate, January 30, 1882, her one hundredth birthday, in Newark, New Jersey, with eighty of her descendants attending. She died March 20, 1883. Children of Rev. Samuel Ware and Jane (Jackson) Fisher: 1. William Hibbell (see forward). 2. George Wood. 3. Samuel Jackson. 4. Anna Caroline. 5. Peter Schuyler. 6. Lewis Wild. 7. Eliza Armstrong. 8. Alice Esther.
(IX) William Hubbell, son of Rev. Samuel Ware Fisher, D. D., LL.D., and his wife Mary (Jackson) Fisher, was born in Albany, New York, November 26, 1843, died at Cincinnati, Ohio, October 6, 1909. He was early educated and prepared for college in the schools of Cincinnati; entered Hamilton College, where he was graduated with honors, class of 1864, which contained among other eminent men Elihu Root, United States senator and secretary of state. Deciding upon the professions of law, he entered Columbia Law School, New York City, and was admitted to the bar of New York state in 1867. He established his practice in Cincinnati, Ohio, where in 1870 he was in partnership with Hon. Samuel S. Fisher, ex-commissioner of patents. The partnership was dissolved in 1873 by the death of the partner. He was a successful lawyer, making a specialty of patent law and its kindred branches. He met with unusual success in his profession and gained many important cases intrusted to him. He was interested in the welfare of his city and in all that pertained to civic improvement. He was a lover of nature, president of the Ohio State Audubon Society, and his studies of bird life attracted the attention of naturalists. He was fond of the woods and trees, and was a life member of the American Forestry Association. In 1905 he was one of the delegates appointed by the governor to represent the state of Ohio at the American Forest Congress, held in Washington. He was president of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. During his natural life he was a leading member of the Second Presbyterian Church of Cincinnati, and for more then twenty-five years ruling elder and superintendent of the Sunday School. He attended as a delegate the general assembly of his church held in Denver, Colorado, and was a member of the executive committee of the Ohio Synod. The work of the Young Men's Christian Association especially appealed to him. He joined with others in organizing the association in Utica, New York, became its first secretary, and continued his interest after removing to Cincinnati. At the time of his death he was a director and corresponding secretary of the Cincinnati Association. At Hamilton College he became an Alpha Delta Phi, and was admitted to Epsilon chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa fraternity.
He married, September 10, 1873, Mary L. Lyon, of Lyons Falls, New York, who survives him (see Lyon VII). Children: 1. Schuyler Lyon. 2. Clarence L. (see forward). 3. William, born in 1880 and died five years later. 4. Florence.
(X) Schuyler L. born June 22, 1874, was educated at the public schools of Cincinnati and at Holbrook's Military Academy at Ossining-on-Hudson and the Cascadilla School at Ithaca, graduating with highest honors. He entered Cornell University, graduating in the class of 1899, with the degree of M.E. He was prominent in crew work, being coxswain of his freshmen crew and in his senior year captain of the 'Var-
sity crew. He was a member of Sphinx Head, one of Cornell's most exclusive senior societies. After graduation he engaged in the manufacturer of automobiles, but an illness developed and he died in November, 1902.
(X) Clarence L., son of William Hubbell and Mary L. (Lyon) Fisher, was born at Lyons Falls, Lewis County, New York, August 21, 1877. His primary education was obtained in the public schools, after which he prepared for college at Holbrook Military Academy, Ossining, New York, graduating in 1896. He entered Hamilton College and pursued the full course, graduating in the class of 1900. On leaving college he decided to enter newspaper work, and, securing a position on the Philadelphia Press, continued two years as reporter. A severe attack of pneumonia interrupted his work and compelled his retirement from journalism. He joined his mother, Mrs. Mary L. Fisher, in the management of their large holdings of timberland in Lewis and Herkimer counties, New York. His home and place of business is Lyons Falls, New York. He is a trustee of the high school and in 1910 was elected president of the village of Lyons Falls. He is a Republican in politics, member of the Presbyterian Church, Lyons Falls, Hamilton Chapter Alpha Delta Phi, and Port Leyden Lodge, No. 668, F. and A. M. he married at Chicago, Illinois, February 21, 1907, Melissa Rachall Ingals, born in that city, September 8, 1884, daughter of Dr. Ephraim Ingals. Doctor Ingals is a noted specialist on diseases of the throat, nose and chest, and has achieved an international reputation. He married Lucy S. Ingals, and has children: 1. Francis E. Ingals, also a physician, Bonn June 30, 1881. 2. Melissa R. 3. Mary G., born December 25, 1895. 4. Ephraim F., born May 23, 1898. The Ingals family stetted in Chicago about 1830. At that time here were only four hundred in that entire section, excepting the garrison at Fort Dearborn. Child of Clarence L. and Melissa E. Fisher: Clarence Ingals, born August 21, 1909.
(The Lyon Line).
This family is of French extraction, descended from the ancient house of de Leonne in France. The family derived its origin from the noble house of "Leones" of Rome. In the tenth century a person of the first rank among them went to England with William the Conqueror and had a command in his army. His son, Sir Roger De Leonne, born in France, 1040, came to England, 1066. He went into Scotland with King Edgarm, about the year 1091, and for good and faithful service against Donald Bain, "the usurper", obtained from King Edgar certain lands in Perthshire, which after him were called "Glen Lyon". The family has been noble in England from that period down to the present.
(I) William of Heston, England, and Roxbury, Massachusetts, founder of the Lyon family in America, fourth child of William Lyon, of Heston, Middlesex county, England, was baptized there December 23, 1620. He emigrated to America onboard the ship "Hopewell", September 11, 1635, then aged fourteen years, and settled in Roxbury, Massachusetts, where he was buried May 21, 1692. In 1648 the town granted him six acres of land. He was admitted into full communion in the church, 1665. He was a member of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Boston, 1645. He marred, in Roxbury, June 17, 1646, Sarah, daughter of John Ruggles, of Nazing, Essex County, England and Roxbury, Massachusetts. She was born at Nazing, England, April 19, 1629. He married (second), 1677, Mrs. Martha (Philbin) Casse, widow of John. Children: 1. John (see forward). 2. Thomas. 3. Samuel. 4. William. 5. Sarah. 6. Jonathan. 7. Jonathan (2).
(II) John, eldest son of William, the pioneer, and Sarah (Ruggles) Lyon, was born in Roxbury, Massachusetts, in April, 1647, where he died January 15, 1703. It
is said that he and his wife died the same day and were buried in the same grave, at West Roxbury Cemetery. He inherited the landed property of his father; lived and died in Roxbury. He married, May 10, 1670, Abigail Palley, born June 4, 1654, daughter of John and Susanna Palley of Roxbury. John Palley was born in England, in 1618, and was in Roxbury in 1650. John Lyon and his wife were members of John Elliot's church, which they joined March 24, 1672; children: 1. John see forward. 2. William. 3. Joseph. 4. Benjamin. 5. Abigail. 6. Benjamin (2). 7. Susanna. 8. Bethia. 9. Ebenezer. 10. Nehemiah. 11. Hannah.
(III) John (2), son of John (1) and Abigail (Palley) Lyon, was born in Roxbury, Massachusetts, May 14, 1673, and died in Rehoboth in February, 1725. In 1698 he removed to Woodstock, in 1705, to what is now Pomfret, and later to Rehoboth. He married Elizabeth ---------. Children: 1. John (3). 2. Susanna. 3. Benjamin. 4. Elizabeth. 5. Abigail. 6. Joshua. 7. Caleb (see forward). 8. Hannah. 9. Perhaps Bethia, although the last named is in doubt.
(IV) Caleb, son of John (2) and Elizabeth Lyon, was born (according to Rehoboth records) April 15, 1709, died at Woodstock, Connecticut, November 14, 1792. He married when was but nineteen years old, his cousin Margaret, daughter of William and Deborah (Colburn) Lyon, born in Woodstock, Connecticut, November 19, 1708. Several of his sons and one of his sons-in-law, rendered distinguished service in the Revolution. Children, the first nine baptized in the Newman Congregational Church, Seekonk, Massachusetts, the remaining six in Woodstock: 1. Deborah. 2. Benjamin. 3. Margaret. 4. Caleb (see forward). 5. William. 6. Lemuel. 7. John. 8. William (2). 9. William (3). 10. Levi. 11. Molly. 12. Sylvanis. 13. Cyrus. 14. Susannah. 15. Luther.
(V) Caleb (2), son of Caleb (1) and Margaret (Lyon) Lyon, was born at Seekonk, Massachusetts, June 29, 1734. He removed after his marriage to Goshen, Massachusetts. He married, April 28, 1756, Elizabeth Hodges, of Norton, Massachusetts. His children's names are not of record except one, Hannah, born in 1760 But little is known of this Caleb, as he seems to have been a rolling stone, and it is difficult to trace him. There is no reasonable doubt that he is the father of Caleb of the next in line, as the name Caleb was a family name through many generations.
(VI) Caleb (3), son of Caleb (2) and Elizabeth (Hodges) Lyon, was born in East Windsor, Connecticut, in 1761. He removed from Connecticut to Greenfield, Massachusetts, when a child, attended Harvard College, but did not graduate. About the year 1800 he removed to Walworth, Wayne County, New York, where he engaged for several years in the manufacture of sale at Salina. In 1810 he removed to the mouth of Four Mills Creek (North Penfield), and there laid out a village, but the enterprise was not successful. He then went to Carthage Landing, near Rochester, New York, where he purchased a thousand acres of land and erected buildings. In 1816 he sold the property, removed again, and settled at Lyonsdale, Lewis County, New York, settling there about 1832. He built a bridge across Moose River in 1829, a grist mill in 1830, and engaged in other industries. He was elected to the state assembly in 1824, and was active in promoting the construction of the Black River Canal. He was a personal friend of De Witt Clinton, and an enthusiastic advocate of the great public improvement inaugurated and brought to ultimate success during his administration as governor of New York. He was an advanced agriculturist and a frequent contributor to journals devoted to the interest of the farm. He was found dead in the woods, about a mile from the Davis Bridge, September 15, 1835.
He married, Mary, daughter of Major Jean Pierre Du Pont, nephew and aid to the French General Montcalm, last commandant of Quebec, Canada. An authority
says: "His grandmother was a daughter of Judge Sherburne, of the Province of Massachusetts Bay, and his mother was Margaret Hodges, of Jamaica." Mary (Du Pont) Lyon died June 11, 1869, at the age of eighty-one. Children: 1. Lyman Rasselas, see forward. 2. Caleb (4), born in Lyonsdale, Lewis County, New York, December 7, 1822, died at Rossville, Staten Island, September, 1875. He was widely known as a poet, lecturer, traveler and statesman. Norwich University conferred on him in 1861 degree of LL. D. He was consul to Shanghai, China, in 1847; was of the convention that framed the constitution of the state of California, and designed the great seal of that state. In 1850 he was elected to the New York state assembly; in 1851 to the state senate; in 1852 elected on the independent ticket to Congress, serving until 1855. In 1864 he was appointed first territorial governor of Idaho by President Lincoln. He left a son, Dr. Caleb Lyon.
(VII) Lyman Rasselas, eldest son of Caleb (3) and Mary (Du Pont) Lyon, was born in what is now Walworth, Wayne County, New York, in 1806. He was a lad of twelve years when his father settled in Lewis County. He was educated at Trenton under the tuition of the renowned John Sherman, and at the Lowville Academy. He began at an early age to manifest unusual interest in public affairs, and seemed predestined to figure prominently in public and official life. In 1830-35 he was deputy clerk in the state assembly at Albany, and was for years employed on government contracts in widening and deepening rivers and harbors. For several years he was cashier and president of the Lewis County Bank. He was the largest resident land proprietor in Lewis County, and it was his energy, enterprise and capital that started the Moose River and Otter Lake tanneries. In 1859 he was elected the state assembly, and there actively urged and finally secured the construction of locks and dams on the Black River which completed water connection between Carthage and the Erie Canal. Another great gift to the people of his section was the time and energy he spent in laboring for the construction of the Black river canal, which was finally completed from Boonville to Lyon's Falls. In 1856 he built the first steamboat used on the Black River. The steamer was modeled after those on the Ohio River, and towed the canal boats, thus securing an additional forty miles of water transportation from Lyons' Falls, north on Black River. The steamboat was called "The Lyman R. Lyon," and, when burned some years later (through accident), the iron lion which adorned it was recovered from the river and is now on the old Lyon homestead grounds.
At the outbreak of the Civil War he was intensely patriotic, and offered his services to the army, but was declined on account of years. He strove in other ways to show his devotion to the cause. To every man enlisted he gave a musket, and in numberless ways served his country's cause. His anxiety over the extended struggle between North and South, together with his weighty business affairs, broke down his health, and in 1867 he went abroad with his family, traveling through southern Europe, Palestine, and Egypt, regaining in a measure his health. On his way home from a winter's visit to Florida he stopped at Savannah, Georgia, where he died April 7, 1869. His home was east of the Black River, just below the falls, which he owned. The village of Lyon's Falls is on the west side of the river, at the falls from which the village derives its name. Near his home, but above the falls, is the famous "bridge with the three ends", built buy the state across the Black and Moose Rivers, one of the ends being at the junction. There is probably but on other similar construction in the whole world.
Lyman R. Lyon married in July, 1839, Mary B. Northrup, born in Connecticut, April 28, 1812. Children: 1. Lyman
Howard, married Ida Bryan, of Tarboro, North Carolina; no issue. 2. Mary L., married William Hubbell fisher, of Cincinnati, Ohio. (See Fisher family.) 3. Chester J., died without issue. 4. Julia J., married William Scott DeCamp, of New Jersey, both deceased, leaving three children: i. Lyon De Camp, an Adirondack lumber operator at Fulton Chain, Herkimer County, New York, ii. Mary, married Dr. Harold Geyer (now deceased), iii. Harold De Camp, a recent graduate of Cornell University. 5. Florence I., married Charles Collins Merriam, Lyon's Falls, Lewis County (see Merriam family). For several years the daughters of the family were associated in business interests with Hon. G. H. P. Gould, under the firm name of Lyon & Gould.
(VIII) Mary L., eldest daughter of Lyman R. and Mary B. (Northrup) Lyman, was born at Lyonsdale, Lewis County, New York. she married William Hubbell fisher (See Fisher family). Her summer residence is neat Lyon's Falls, in Lewis County. She still continues with her son Clarence L., in the management of her large Adirondack properties. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Children: 1; Clarence Lyon (see Fisher X). 2. Florence Lyon.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.