Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
|BELLINGER. The surname Bellinger, spelled also Pellinger, is of
Palatine origin. There appears to be five persons of this name among the
grantees of the Burnetsfield patent in Herkimer County; two of them
being married women. The name is found in 1711 among those Palatines,
who volunteered under General Nicholas Herkimer, in 1711, for the
expedition against Montreal, then held by the French. The Palatines were
sent by Governor Hunter on their arrival in 1710 to Livingston Manor
under the pretense of collecting naval stores and there is good reason
for believing that they were originally seated on the east side of the
Hudson River. The emigration of the palatines to Schoharie appears to
have been from the west side of the Hudson, and consisted of those who
had been the most restless under the harsh treatment of the colonial
authorities of Queen Anne when they started for this country. In
November, 1722, Governor Burnet in a letter to the board of trade and
plantations, says: "But as about sixty families desired to be in a
distinct tract from the rest, and were of those who had all along been
most hearty for the government, I have given them leave to purchase land
from the Indians--on a creek called Canada Creek."
The Bellinger family was prominent in
the new settlement from, the outset. They held a high place in the regard of their fellow citizens, especially at the time of the Revolution, and were undeviating and unflinching in their attachment and devotion to the cause of the colonists in the Revolutionary struggle. Colonel Peter Bellinger, mentioned below, had a regiment composed of the militia of the German Flats and Kingsland district, and Lieutenant-Colonel Frederick Bellinger of the same regiment participated in the bloody battle of Oriskany, was taken prisoner and carried to Canada. Colonel John Bellinger of this family was also in that battle as a volunteer; removed about 1791 to Utica, New York. Most if not all of the land allotted to the Bellinger family has continued in the possession of descendants to the present time. Many of the family have been prominent in military affairs. General Christopher P. Bellinger was born in the town of German Flats; was active in politics, a Democrat of the Jefferson type; was often supervisor, and held many other offices of trust; four times member of the assembly; colonel of a regiment in the War of 19812, and afterwards commissioned brigadier-general of militia. Major Frederick Bellinger, another military representative of the family, was a merchant; was member of the assembly in 1836; was major of militia; died at German Flats; was married twice.
(I) Colonel Peter Bellinger, son or grandson of one of the first settles at Burnetsfield, of this family, was born about 1730. He commanded a regiment and performed gallant service for the colonies during the Revolution. He was one of the most prominent citizens of the German Flats and Kingsland district, from which most of his regiment was recruited. He married Delia Herkimer, sister of General Nicholas Herkimer (see Herkimer I). Children: 1. Joseph, mentioned below. 2. John. 3. Christopher.
(II) Joseph, son of Colonel Peter Bellinger, was born about 1760, in German Flats, New York. He married Anne E. Campbell.
(III) John Christopher, son of Joseph Bellinger, was born about 1790 in German Flats, New York. He was a farmer and was a man of sterling character and highly esteemed by his neighbors. In politics was a Democrat, in religion a Lutheran. He married Mary, daughter of Colonel William Feeter. Children: 1. John W., born September 2, 1819; died December 21, 1821; died July 21, 1867; married Roxy Ann Smith. 3. Elizabeth Ann, April 1, 1823; died November 6, 1882; married Robert Casler; no children. 4. Catherine, February 11, 1844; died November 17, 1882; married John Smith. 5. James F., March 7, 1825; died September 8, 1895; married, in 1850, Jane Green. 6. Peter, March 7, 1826; married Mary A. Goodell. 7. Christopher, December 17, 1828; died May 16, 1897; married Christine Walrath. 8. Abram Eyseman, February 11, 1831; mentioned below. 9. Joram P., September 11, 1833; married De Etta E. Steele, of Mohawk.
(IV) Abram Eyseman, son of John Christopher Bellinger, was born February 11, 1831. He was educated in the public schools of his native town, and in 1844 had a three years' course in Little Falls Academy. In 1847 he opened a general store and continued it until 1875. At the present time he is the oldest merchant living in the Mohawk Valley. Since 1995 he has been associated in business with his son, a lawyer at Little Falls, New York. He was justice of the peace from 1891 to 1896, and served three terms as town clerk. He and his family attend the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a Democrat. He married, Maria Elizabeth, daughter of Henry H. and Gertrude Bellinger. Children: 1. Gertrude Ann, born 1856, died 1862; Abram H. mentioned below.
(V) Abram H., son of Abram Eyseman Bellinger, was born March 13, 1862. He attended the public schools and graduated from the Little Falls high school and from Hungerford Collegiate Institute at Adams,
Jefferson County, New York. He studied law at Little Falls in the office of Mills, Palm & Morgan, and was admitted to the bar in 1885. He had been practicing since then at Little Falls, New York, and has achieved a notable success. He is a member of Little Falls Lodge, No. 181, Free and Accepted Masons, and of Astorogan Chapter, No. 161, Knights Templar, and Little Falls Commandery, No. 26, of Little Falls, New York. In politics he is a Democrat, and in religion a Presbyterian. He married, January 9, 1883, Jennie, born December 16, 1863, daughter of Captain Romaine Roof. Child: 1. Gertrude I., born November 13, 1883. Mrs. Jennie Bellinger is a member of the order of the Eastern Star, Rock City Chapter.
(The Herkimer Line.)
Jurgh (George), Johan Jost, Madalina and Catherina Erghemar (Herkimer) each received a hundred acres as patentees of the Burnetsfield grant on the south side of the Mohawk River. But little is known of this Jurgh Herkimer, but he may have been father of Johan Jost, possibly a brother. This family we are told exhibited evidence of thrift and wealth far ahead of any of the other Palatine settlers in the erection of costly stone edifices and the possession of many broad acres purchased after Governor Burnet's grants, which professed to set apart a hundred acres for each man, woman and child. Madalina and Catherina may have been wives or sister of the men. The name has been variously spelled: Herchkeimer, Hareniger, Harkemeis, Herchamer, Harchamer, Harkeman and Herkermer. In 1775 the family was numerous at German Flats.
(I) Johan Jost Herkimer was without much doubt son of Jurgh, for he inherited his lands. All of the family seem to descend from John, and he was probably the only son who came to this country with his parents. Johan drew lot No. 36. He was also a patentee of the Fall Hill tract granted in 1752 to Johan Jost Herchkeimer and Hendrick Herchkeimer. Johan Jost was often called Hanyost for short. Children: 1. Nicholas, mentioned below. 2. Henry, left five sons, Joseph, Nicholas, Abraham, George and Henry. 3. Johan Jost. 4. George, has sons John and Joseph. 5. John. 6. Elizabeth Barbara, married Peter D. Schuyler. 7. Lana, married three times: Warner Dygert, Nicholas Snell and John Roorback. 8. Delia, married Colonel Peter Bellinger, (see Bellinger I). 9. Catherine, married George Henry Bell. 10. Gertruyd, married Rudolph Shoemaker. 11. Anna, married Peter Ten Broeck. 12. Anna Maria, married Rev. Abraham Rosecrants. 13. Elizabeth, married Hendrick Frey.
(II) General Nicholas Herkimer, son of Johan Jost Herkimer, was born about 1725, died in August, 1775. He was commissioned a lieutenant in Captain William Wormwood's company in the Schenectady battalion of militia, January 5, 1758, by Lieutenant-Governor James De Lancey. He was commissioned a brigadier-general of militia of Tryon County, enlisted for the defense of the colony September 5, 1776. He was colonel of a regiment in 1775. At the beginning of the Revolution he lived in the Canajoharie district of the county and represented it in the county committee of safety. His younger brother, George, was am ember of the German Flats and Kingsland district. General Herkimer was also a member from his district and chairman in 1776. He was chairman pro tem of the Tryon County committee of safely in July and August, 1775, and several of his letters are preserved in the journals and proceedings of the new York provincial convention of that year. Although twice married he left no children at his death, and his family papers have been scattered, lost or destroyed, so that at this day we are left much in the dark as to his early history. In 1760 he resided in the Canajoharie district and in May of that year his father deeded to him five hundred acres of land, portions of Lindesay and Livington's and Fall Hill patents, including a small island in the Mo-
hawk River of about two acres. He was a farmer. He was active in the Revolution. When Burgoyne approached he issued a proclamation calling upon all able-bodied men to come to the defense of the country. The ill-fated battle of Oriskany in which he commanded the Americans followed. He was wounded and conveyed to what is now the town of Danube, a few miles east of Little Falls, where he lived, and his leg was amputated at the knee, but the operation, being performed improperly, resulted in his death from hemorrhage. In October following his death the continental congress passed a resolution appropriating five hundred dollars for the erection of a monument to his memory, and in communicating the resolution to the governor of the state, Congress said: "Every mark of distinction shown to the memory of such illustrious men as offer up their lives for the liberty and happiness of this country, reflects real honor on those who pay the grateful tribute; and by holding up to others the prospect of fame and immortality, will animate them to tread in the same path." For some unexplained reason the monument was not erected for many years, but n1907 was completed, and is a splendid tribute from his government and people. Perhaps the urgent need of funds for fighting the nation's battles explains the early neglect. The county in which he lived was subsequently named Herkimer in his honor. His will is dated February 7, 1777, but not proved until October 4, 1783. He married (first) a sister of Peter S. Tygert; (second) Maria, sister of his first wife. His widow married and removed to Canada.
ERWIN. Erwin is one form of spelling the Scotch surname Irvine, Irving or Irwin, and is used by most of the family of County Antrim, Ulster, Ireland. In 1890 the names Ervine and Erwin were both common in Antrim, but not elsewhere in Ireland or Scotland. The family traces its descent from William de Irwin, whom Robert Bruce appointed armor bearer and on whom he conferred besides a grant of land comprising the forest of Drum, his own device or arms, when Earl of Carrick, the three holly leaves, now found in the coat-of-arms of all the Irwins, Irvings, and Erwins, of this family, his descendants.
(I) The immigrant ancestor of this family came from the north of Ireland and settled in New Hampshire with other Scotch-Irish.
(II) Joseph Erwin was born about 1775 in New Hampshire. He settled with the early pioneers at what is known as Trout Brook in the town of Madrid, New York. He married Phebe Allen. Among their children was George, mentioned below.
(III) George, son of Joseph Erwin, was born at Madrid, September 21, 1813. He was a man of more than ordinary influence in the community. He was well-educated, notwithstanding his difficulties of obtaining schooling in his youth, and he taught school for some years. He devoted his later years to farming. He married Ann Matilda Bayley, who was a descendant of General Bayley of Revolutionary fame. Among their children was George Zalmon, mentioned below.
(IV) George Zalmon, son of George Erwin, was born in Madrid, January 15, 1840. His early life was spent on his father's farm and in attendance upon the district schools. When he was fourteen yeas old, he began to work in a drug store in Madrid village , and continued for two years. He then entered St. Lawrence Academy, at Potsdam, and fitted for college in four years. he entered Middlebury College and was graduated in August, 1865. To aid in paying his college expenses he taught school during the winter terms. He took up the study of law directly after he graduated and spent a year and a half in the law office of the United States district attorney for northern New York, William A. Dart, and was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1867. He entered
partnership with Samuel B. Gordon, January 1, 1868. A year later, in the spring of 1868, he succeeded Mr. Dart as partner in the law firm of Dart & Tappan, and practiced for ten years under the firm name of Tappan & Erwin, continuing until Mr. Erwin retired from practice.
The two firms with which he was connected commanded a large practice, much of which was in the higher courts and brought the partners into prominence. As a lawyer Mr. Erwin was indefatigable. He neglected nothing in his preparation of cases, and he was convincing in presenting his cases to the court.
In November, 1881, he as elected to the assembly from the third district of St. Lawrence County, and re-elected for five successive terms. He was appointed to the committee on ways and means in his first term, and before the end of the session his well-ordered mind, extensive knowledge of political history and law, and his natural aptitude for leadership had gained for him a prominent position in the legislature. In 1883 he was again on ways and means, also on the committee on railroads and elections. In 1884 he was a strong candidate for speaker, but was defeated by Hon. Titus Sheard. He was again placed on important committees. He served on a special committee to investigate the public works department of New York City and proved especially valuable through his ability to cross-examine witnesses and probe affairs under consideration. In 1885 he was elected speaker and in this position he displayed special ability and knowledge of parliamentary practice. He was afterward for two years Republican leader on the floor of the house. He was sagacious in determining policies and vigorous in pursuing and supporting them. In 1887 he received the unanimous nomination of his party for state senator in the twentieth district, and for three terms was a distinguished member of the state senate. In 1892-93 he was the Republican leader of the senate. For ten years he was one of the ablest and most influential men in the state legislature. To him is due the credit for organizing the dairy department for suppressing the sale of oleo-margarine. He secured the enactment of the bill preventing the sale of liquor in quantities of five gallons or more in towns having no license. He was active in reforming the procedure in insurance receiverships and was especially prominent and useful in various investigating committees. Perhaps in no one instance during his whole legislative career did he exhibit his wonderful powers a leader more conspicuously than in the candidacy and election of Hon. Frank Hiscock as United States Senator. In that contest he was leader of his forces and displayed great skill and tact in holding his men in line. In 1891 he was chairman of the committee on general laws and made the interesting investigations into the subject of electricity for lighting and power. He was a [rime mover in the establishment of the modern asylum for the insane at Ogdensburg. In the session of 1892, when Republican leader, he made a strong but unsuccessful fright against the reapportionment of the state, and for his refusal to vote on an enumeration bill he and two others senators were declared guilty of contempt by Lieutenant-Governor Steehan and their names taken from the roll. But they were supported by the judiciary committee in their position, were purged of contempt and their names restored. He was always especially solicitous and mindful of the interests of his own constituents, and it is safe to say that no legislator from northern New York accomplished more for that section than he.
He always took a keen interest in local affairs. He was active in securing the location of the Normal School at Potsdam and served on the board of trustees, and as treasurer for a number of years. He assisted in
organizing the fair society at Potsdam and was for several years on the board of trustees. He was a member of the local volunteer fire department and its chief for several years. He was influential in securing the water works for the village in 1870, in building an opera house, in constructing sewers and drains in 1880, and in securing the necessary legislation. He was interested in various local industries. He was one of the promoters and organizers of the Thatcher Manufacturing Company, and up to the time of his death was its vice-president. He helped to organize the High Falls Sulphite Pulp and Mining Co., and was its president. He was fond of sports and games, hunting, fishing, etc. No one excelled him in generous, hearty good nature. He had a kind word for all, regardless of class or condition, and wherever he went he carried good cheer and good fellowship and was always welcome. Neither in his business nor political affairs was his integrity ever questioned. Mr. Erwin joined the Protestant Episcopal Church in 1891 and was confirmed on Thanksgiving Day in 1893, by Bishop Doane. He died January 16, 1894, of heart disease. The lieutenant-governor and committees from the legislature and many state officers attended his funeral, a well as the bar of the county,, the faculty of the State Normal School, the Masons, firemen and other organizations with which he was connected, and resolutions were passed by these organizations lamenting his death.
He married Caroline C., daughter of William A. Dart, June 23, 1868. They had no children. (See Dart VI)
(The Dart Line).
A member of the Dart family, sailed from England in or about the year 1652, bringing with him to America the original patent from the crown for the township of New London, Connecticut. The family have their coat-of-arms. Richard Dart, immigrant ancestor, came from Dartmouth, England to New London, Connecticut, and bought the William Welman house and lot September 12, 1664, residing there until his death September 24, 1724, aged eighty-nine years. His sister Anna married in 1659 Benjamin Brewster and lived on Brewster Neck. Richard Dart married Bethia --------------. Children, born at New London: 1. Daniel, May 3, 1666. 2. Roger, November 27, 1670. 3. Ebenezer, February 18, 1672-72. 4. Bethia, married Joseph Chapel.
(II) Daniel, son of Richard Dart, was born at New London, May 3, 1666. In 1716 he removed to Bolton in Hartford County, Connecticut. He married, August 4, 1686,. Elizabeth Douglass, believed to be daughter of William and Ann Douglass. Children: Thomas, born July 8, 1687. 2. Elizabeth, October 14, 1689. 3. Daniel, August 31, 1691. 4. John, December 2, 1693. 5. Mercy, November 13, 1695. 6. Ebenezer, May 16, 1698. 7. Abiah, December 2, 1701. 8. Lydia, November 4, 1703. 9. Samuel, December 12, 1705. 10. Jabez, March 12, 1709, mentioned below. 11. Rachel (or Ruth), August 26, 1711.
(III) Jabez, son of Daniel Dart, was born at New London, March 12, 1709. He lived AT Bolton. He married, June 16, 1740. Bathsheba Griswold, who died February 1, 1745-46. Children, born at Bolton: 1. Jabez, mentioned below. 2. Simeon, April 5, 1744.
(IV) Jabez (2), son of Jabez (1) Dart, was born at Bolton, Connecticut, May 21, 1742. He settled in Vermont and when on his way to locate at Potsdam, New York, died. He married Rachel Mann, who died at Potsdam at the age of one hundred years and six months. Among their children was Simeon, mentioned below.
(V) Simeon, son of Jabez (2) Dart, was born May 14, 1770, at Hartford, Connecticut, died at West Potsdam, New York, November 11, 1859 (or 1860). He married, in November, 1797, Phebe Allen, born at Salem, New York, August 31, 1778, died at West Potsdam, March 21, 1873. He went to Williston, Vermont, with his father, and to Potsdam in 1808. He lived
many years on his farm at West Potsdam and died, aged ninety-one years. children: 1. Alfred. 2. Sally. 3. Jerusha. 4. Laura. 5. Henry. 6. William Allen, mentioned below.
(VI) Hon. William Allen, son of Simeon Dart, born at West Potsdam, October 25, 1814, died at Potsdam, March 8, 189-. During his boyhood he worked on his father's farm. He attended the winter terms of the district school until he was seventeen years old, and then went to St. Lawrence Academy at Potsdam. In winter he taught school to obtain money to pursue his studies. In 1834 he became a clerk in the law office of Hon. John L. Russell, of Canton. In the spring of 1835 he entered the law office of the late Hon. Horace Allen of Potsdam, who was the first judge of the court of common pleas and surrogate of St. Lawrence County, and he remained until he was admitted to the bar in May, 1840, when he opened his office and began to practice in Potsdam. In September, 1841, he married Judge Allen's only daughter and soon afterward Mr. Dart succeeded to his practice. In the spring of 1845 Mr. Dart was appointed postmaster of Potsdam and district attorney of the county. At that time the district attorney was appointed by the judges of the court of common pleas, but the constitution of 1846 made the office elective and Mr. Dart declined to be a candidate. In the fall of 1849 he was elected state senator from the fifteenth distinct, consisting of the counties of St. Lawrence and Franklin, to succeed Hon, John Fine, of Ogdensburg. He served during the sessions of 1850-51. He took a prominent part, and was one of the celebrated twelve Democratic senators who resigned in order to prevent a quorum, thus for a time defeating a bill to enlarge the Erie Canal on credit, believing the bill unconstitutional, as it was afterward declared by the court of appeals. He was, moreover, sustained by his constituents and re-elected by double his original majority. He declined to be a candidate in 1851, and returned to his practice, which demanded all of his time. In February, 1853, he entered partnership with Edward M. Dewey and Charles O. Tappan under the firm name of Dart, Dewey & Tappan. Mr. Dewey withdrew from the firm in August, 1856, and established himself in practice in Chicago. The firm of Dart & Tappan continued until 1869.
Although he was a Democrat, he was an earnest and active anti-slavery man, and was among the first of his party to join the "Barn-burners," the chief principle of whose platform was "no more slave states." He was on the state committee of that party several years, and was associated with such prominent young Democrats as Samuel J. Tilden, Andrew H. Green, John Bigelow, William Cassady, Peter Cagger and Sanford E. Church. When the anti-slavery wings of both parties were ready to unite, Mr. Dart of one of the four who formed the articles of agreement and the name of Republican party was adopted. After that as long as he lived, Mr. Dart was an earnest and loyal Republican. In April, 1861, he was appointed by president Lincoln district attorney for northern New York, which then included the whole state outside of New York County, Long Island counties and the Hudson River counties south of Albany and Rensselaer County. The business of the office was increased manifold by the Civil War. He was re-appointed at the close of his term in April, 1865. Early in 1866 the difficult duty of suppressing the Fenian invasion of Canada fell to his lot and he succeeded so well that he received the warm thanks of the government. Yet a few months later he was removed from office by President Johnson, partly because Mr. Dart was opposed to Johnson's ideas and partly to conciliate the Irish vote. In April, 1869, General Grant appointed Mr. Dart consul-general to the British province of North America, with headquarters at Montreal, and he held this office until 1878, when he resumed the practice of law in partnership with his son-in-law, Hon, George Z. Erwin.
A few weeks before Mr. Dart died, Edward A. Everett succeeded Mr. Erwin in the partnership. Mr. Dart practiced law for fifty-one years, except for the interruptions caused by his absence on official duties. He was a vestryman of Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church in 1844, and from 1879 until he died. The rector, warden and vestrymen of the church, the bar and other organizations took official note of his death and passed proper resolutions. Mr. Dart was pre-eminently social and companionable. He liked the encounter of keen wits and was skillful at repartee. He told a good story and liked to hear other story-tellers. His sterling character, good judgment and versatile abilities made him one of the most distinguished men of the state in his day. His integrity was unquestioned, his career, untarnished. He was an able, faithful , zealous public servant, a talented lawyer and an eloquent speaker.
He married, in September, 1841, Harriet S. Allen, born November 23, 1822, daughter of Horace Allen. Her father was born in Williston, Vermont, April 24, 1789, died in Potsdam, May 24, 1866; married Samantha Hamilton, who died July 3, 1870. Horace Allen was the son of Nathan Allen, born at Stanstead, Connecticut, March 13, 1760,. Died at Williston, Vermont, January 13, 1834, married, in 1788, Lovina Winslow, who died at Williston, September, 1832, sister of governor Winslow; their children; 1. Horace. 2. Levi. 3. Lucy. 4. Minerva. 5. Marcus. 6. Nathan D. 7. Villeroy. 8. Hannah Allen. Children of Mr. Dart: 1. Caroline C., born June 18, 1841; married June 23, 1868, George Z. Erwin, (see Erwin IV); she lives in the same house in which she was born and in which her mother was born. 2. Harriet Frances, also lives in the homestead at Potsdam.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.