Genealogical & Family History of Northern, NY
Pages 296-303

William Richard Cutter, A. M.
Editorial Supervisor

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam

 

IRVING. The Irvine and Irving families are identical. The Irvine family was in counties Dumfries and Aberdeenshire, Scotland, before 1300. In the Dumfries branch the name is spelled Irving, Irwin, Erwin, etc. The family name is common in many Scotch counties at the present time. John Irving, of Dumfries, was in the Scotch parliament in 1620-39-41, and another of the same name, perhaps his son, in 1661-65-67-69-74. Others of the name Irvine and Irving were in parliament in the seventeenth century. The present head of the family is Lieutenant-colonel John Beaufin Irving, of Bonshaw Castle, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

(I) Andrew Irving, first of the family in this country, came from Annan, Dumfriesshire, Scotland. He married, Margaret Henderson, daughter of the Laird of Milk Castle, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, and a granddaughter of Sir Archibald Douglas. Children: 1. Andrew. 2. Alexander. 3. Robert.

(II) Andrew (2), son of Andrew (1) Irving, was born at Chatham, New Brunswick, 1823, died 1898. He was educated in the schools of his native town. he began the study of medicine, and when he was a student, Joseph Cunard, founder of the Cunard Line of steamships, was surety on his bond. He decided at length to abandon medicine for business, and he left home and proceeded up the Ottawa River to Quebec through the old trail to the town of Pembroke, which he father-in-law, Colonel Peter White founded. Colonel White served in the Royal British Navy in 1812 and received grants of land from the Crown. His sons and grandsons represented the town of Pembroke in parliament in later years. Colonel White was a large land owner and lumber merchant. Mr. Irving was an enterprising and successful man of affairs. In politics a Liberal, he was active and prominent in his party, and held many offices of public honor and trust. He had a wise acquaintance and influence through upper Canada. He was register of deeds at the time of his death. He was an associate and personal friend of such men as La Fontaine and Brown. He married (first) about 1845, Jane Reid, who died in 1854, daughter of Colonel Peter White, of Pembroke, Ontario. He married (second) Mary, daughter of Dr. William Cannon, of the royal navy. Children: 1. Child, died young. 2. Child, died young. 3. Cecelia, lived in Pembroke; married James H. Burrit, K. C., a prominent lawyer of Pembroke, past grand master of the Grand Lodge, of Free Masons of Canada; children: Mary, Jessie, Enid, Gwendoline, Marion and Margaret Burrit. Children of second wife: 5. William, an insurance broker in Pembroke. 6. Lieutenant-colonel Lennox, of the Forty-second Regiment, a prominent barrister. 7. Edward, a lumber dealer in the Northwest. 8. Annie, superintendent of the nurses, Huron Street Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio.

(III) Andrew (3), son of Andrew (20 Irving, was born in Pembroke, Ontario, and was educated there in the public schools and in the Military School in Toronto. For a time he was engaged in the lumber business in Canada with his uncle. Then he engaged in the wholesale meat and provision business in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1882 he removed to New York City and continued in the same line of business and was a member of the New York Produce Exchange. Thence, after a few years, he went to Baltimore, Maryland, and continued there in the produce and foreign shipping business until 1894, when he retired from active affairs. He settled at Gouverneur, New York, where he resided until 1905, when he came to the town of Oswegatchie, New York, where he has a large estate on the St. Lawrence River, containing about a hundred and fifty acres of land. the house was built in 1820 by Ranney of Theresa. The property was originally a part of the two thousand acres

Page 297

Owned by Van Rensselaer. Mr. Irving is president of the St. Lawrence County Savings Bank, organized in March, 1909, member of the lodge of Free Masons at Pembroke, and of the chapter council and Commandery. He is past grand director of the Grand Lodge of Free Masons, of Canada. He was in his younger days active in military affairs and captain in the Forty-second Regiment of Canada. He is vestryman of St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church, of Ogdensburg, and trustee of the school district in Oswegatchie.

He married, in June, 1882, Nina Frances, daughter of James B. and Roxaline (Flower) Carpenter. Governor Roswell P. Flower was her uncle. She was born in Theresa, New York. (See Carpenter XV). They have one son, Frederick Carpenter, born at Gouverneur, May 20, 1883, graduate of the Gouverneur high school, of the class of 1902. Phillips Academy, Exeter, New Hampshire, of the class of 1906, Harvard College, and now a student of the Harvard Medical School, class of 1910.

(The Carpenter Line).

John Carpenter was born in 1303 and was a member of parliament in 1323.

(II) Richard, son of John Carpenter, was born in 1335, and married Christina ----. Both were buried in St. Martins', Outwich, Bishopsgate Street, London. He was a chandler and probably also a gunsmith.

(III) John (2), son of Richard Carpenter, was brother of John Carpenter, Jr., the famous tow clerk of London, whose bequest to the city of certain funds was the foundation of the City of London School. It was a common practice to have two sons in the same family of the same name, even when both were living. The younger son was called Junior, sometimes Jenkin. John St. was one of the executors of John, Jr.'s will, and was mentioned in his will, as well as another brother, Robert, who was given "one of those two silver gilt cups with a lid which Thomas Knolls gave me."

(IV) John (3), son of John (2) Carpenter, had a son William.

(V) William, son of John (3) Carpenter, was born 1440, died 1520, called "of Homme."

(VI) James, son of William Carpenter, had a son John.

(VII) John (4), son of James Carpenter, had a s son William.

(VIII) William (2), son of John (4) Carpenter, was born in England. Children: 1. James, heir to father's estate. 2. Alexander, born 1560, went to Leyden. 3. William, born 1576, came to America in 1638 and returned to England on the return voyage of the same vessel. 4. Richard, mentioned below.

(IX) Richard (2), son of William (2) Carpenter, was of Amesbury, England, and was buried there September 21, 1625. He had a son, William.

(X) William (3), son of Richard (2) Carpenter, was the immigrant ancestor. He was the first person of the name to make permanent settlement in America. He sailed from Dartmouth, England, Friday, May 1, 1635, and arrived in New Englander, June 24, 1635, going first to Hingham and then to Providence, Rhode Island, where he arrived April 20, 1636. He was one of the original proprietors of providence and a founder of the First Baptist Church in America, in 1638-39. He soon removed to Pawtucket, later known as Cranston. He served many years in the general court as deputy and was a very prominent man. he suffered in the Indian outbreak, and January 27, 1676, lost two hundred sheep, fifty head of cattle and fifteen horses. His house was set on fire and attacked b y about three hundred Indians, but the flames were extinguished. Two of his household were killed. He died September 7, 1785. He married, in England,, Elizabeth, born at Cheeselbourne, Dorsetshire, November 23, 1611, daughter of William and Christiana (Peak) Arnold. Children: 1. Joseph, born in England. 2. Lydia, born in Providence about 1638. Born in

Page 298

Pawtucket: 3. Ephraim. 4. Timothy. 5. William. 6. Priscilla. 7. Silas. 8. Benjamin, mentioned below.

(XI) Benjamin, son of William (3) Carpenter, was born at Pawtucket, Rhode Island, 1650-53, died March 3, 1710-11. He was a prominent citizen; member of the town council, 1693-99, and his name is frequently on the town records. He held various positions of trust and left a large estate. He married Mary, born October, 1661, daughter Rev. Pardon Tillinghast. Children: 1. William. 2. Joseph. 3. Benjamin. 4. Mary.

(XII) William (4), son of Benjamin Carpenter, was born in Pawtucket in 1688. He married, March 6, 1725-26, Amy, daughter of Zacheus and Sarah Mathewson, of Providence. Amy was mentioned in her father's will as Mrs. Carpenter in 1747. Children: 1. Jonathan, born February 15, 1744, mentioned below. 2. Barbara, married, October, 1768, Benjamin Brown. 3. Caleb, drowned in Boston harbor.

(XIII) Captain Jonathan, son of William (4) Carpenter, was born at Providence, February 15, 1744, died in 1828. He was a ship carpenter and master mariner. He lent money to the government during the Revolution. In 1790 he removed from Providence to Johnstown, New York, and followed farming the remainder of his life. all but the three youngest children were born at Providence. He married, July 6, 1773, Margaret, daughter of John Allen. Children: 1. Amy, born May 9, 1774. 2. William, April 7, 1776. 3. Thomas, November 15, 1777. 4. Phebe, September 10, 1779. 5. James, July 18, 1781. 6. John, March 6, 1783. 7. Caleb, April 12, 1785. 8. Jonathan, July 14, 1787, mentioned below. 9. Sally, June 20, 1792. 10. Rebecca, April 29, 1795. 11. Stephen, November 26, 1796.

(XIV) Jonathan (2), son of Captain Jonathan (1) Carpenter, was born at Providence, Rhode Island, July 14, 1787. He removed to Johnstown, New York, with his father and lived at Amsterdam and at Fowler, New York, in 1849. He married Lucy, daughter of Captain Johnson, who was a soldier in the Revolution. They had a son, James B., mentioned below.

(XV) Dr. James B. Carpenter, son of Jonathan (2) Carpenter, was born in 1819 in Amsterdam, New York, but removed to St. Lawrence County when he was two years old. He was educated in the Wesleyan Seminary at Gouverneur, New York, and at the Medical School at Castleton, Vermont. He began to practice his profession in Jefferson County, New York. He was assistant surgeon of the Thirty-fifth Regiment, New York, in the Civil War, and was with General Daniel Sickle's brigade in the battle of Gettysburg. He was appointed collector of customs at the port of Cape Vincent, New York. He practiced medicine at Gouverneur for many years. He died in 1895. He married Roxaline, daughter of Nathan Monroe Fowler, and sister of Governor Roswell P. Flower. Their daughter, Nina Frances, married Andrew Irving, (see Irving III).

FELL. Roger Fell was born in England. He came to New England in 1830 and settled near Mount Tom in Connecticut. He was in the mill business, and made several trips abroad in the interest of that business. He was a deeply religious man, and was a lay preacher of the Methodist Church. He died in 1844, aged forty-nine years, and is buried at Pawtucket, Rhode Island. He married Mary Ellam, born in England, died February 15, 1869. One child, Joseph E., mentioned below.

(II) Joseph E., son of roger Fell, was born in Blackburn, Lancashire, England, December 2, 1826, and came to this country with his parents when four years old. He was educated in the Connecticut schools, and learned the trade of blacksmith. He was employed in the New England Screw Company at Providence, Rhode Island, and in 1855 went to Morristown, New York, where he started in business as a blacksmith.

Page 299

Six years later he bought a farm of George Parish on the river, which his still in possession of the family. After a time he rented the farm, and took a position with the R. W. & O. R. R., as machinist. Later he was employed in the same capacity by the O. & L. C. R. R. For several years he was foreman for the C. P. P. in Ohio. His last position was with the Schenectady Locomotive Works, where he remained until he retired from active work, two or three years before his death. He spent his last years on his farm in the town of Oswegatchie, where he died, January 30, 1902. He was a member of the Ogdensburg Lodge of Free Masons, and of the Episcopal Church. He married, September, 1849, Margaret, born in Johnstown, Scotland, May 9, 1830, died June 15, 1904, daughter of John and Mary (Clement) McNeil. Children: 1. Mary E. 2. Robert R., general foreman of the Schenectady Locomotive Works, 3. Margaret. 4. Joseph Ellam, mentioned below. 5. Josephine I. 6. Charlotte, school teacher in Schenectady. 7. John McNeil, mentioned below. 8. Hattie C., teacher in Ogdensburg.

(III) John McNeil, son of Joseph E. Fell, Sr., was born in Oswegatchie, St. Lawrence county, New York, December 8, 1864. He was educated in the public schools of his native town, and carried on the farm until 1908. He established himself in the furniture business in Ogdensburg, where he built up a profitable trade. He was a Republican in politics; served as supervisor for the town, and for three years served as commissioner for the fair grounds. He was a member of the Episcopal church, of Ogdensburg Lodge, No. 128, Free Masons, a thirty-third degree Mason, Scottish Rite; of Elijah White Lodge, No. 590, Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Ogdensburg, and of Ogdensburg encampment, No. 32; of Canton amaranth, No. 12, Patriarchs Militant, of Ogdensburg, and has served as noble grand, chief patriarch, and clerk in the Canton; member of Sovereign Grand Lodge of Odd Fellows. He was unmarried. He died February 26, 1910.

STILWELL. Nicholas Stillwell, immigrant ancestor, was an Englishman who came from Leyden, Holland, about 1638, to New England. He brought with him his two children, Richard and Nicholas. He set-

Page 300

tled on Manhattan Island. He married (first) Abigail Hopton, who died before he came over. He married (second) Ann Van Dyke. Children: 1. Richard, born 1634. 2. Nicholas, mentioned below. 3. Ann, 1643. 4. Abigail or Alse, 1645. 5. William, 1648. 6. Thomas, 1651. 7. Daniel, 1653. 8. Elias, 1657. 9. Jeremiah, 1661.

(II) Nicholas (2), son of Nicholas (1) Stillwell, was born 1636, died 1715. He married Elizabeth (Huybert) Morgan, widow of Charles Morgan. Children: 1. Nicholas, born April 25, 1673. 2. Rebecca, 1675. 3. Richard, May 11, 1677. 4. Catherine, May 15, 1680. 5. Ann. 6. John. 7. Mary, 1683. 8. Elias, mentioned below. 9. Thomas, May 16, 1688.

(III) Elias, son of Nicholas (2) Stillwell, was born December 13, 1685. He married Ann, born 1707, daughter of Thomas Burbank. Children: 1. Thomas, mentioned below. 2. Daniel, 1726. 3. John, 1728.

(IV) Thomas, son of Elias Stillwell, was born in 1726. He married Deborah, born 1724, daughter of Isaac Martling. Children: 1. Elias, born 1747. 2. Thomas, mentioned below. Probably other children.

(IV) Thomas (2) Stilwell, as the name appears, son or nephew of Thomas (1) Stillwell, settled in Ballston, now Milton, New York. In 1790 the first federal census shows that he had two males over sixteen, two under that age and three females in his family, while Elias, doubtless his brother and son of Elias, was also living there, having two over sixteen, three males under that age, and three females in his family. Both were about forty years of age, judging from the number and ages of their children. Thomas was a soldier in the Revolution in the Sixth New York Regiment, Albany County.

(VI) Smith, son or nephew of Thomas (2) Stilwell, was born in Milton, formerly Ballston, New York, December 1, 1784, died January 20, 1881. When he was fifteen years old he left home and found employment in Albany, New York. In 1814 he was commissioned an auctioneer by Governor Tompkins. At that time the principal revenue of the state was derived from the auction and salt duties, the proceeds of which soon afterward formed the financial basis on which the construction of the Erie Canal was undertaken. As early as 1809 he purchased a tract of forest land in the town of Oswegatchie, now within the town of De Puyster. With great labor and perseverance he converted this wild land into a valuable and most productive farm. He was active in public affairs, and in 1823 was appointed associate justice of the court of common pleas, where almost all of the litigation of the county was tried. He was supervisor of the town from 1825 to 1829, when he removed, being succeeded by Luke Dean. He held other places of trust and honor. In 1836 he was collector of the port, and in 1851-52 member of the assembly of the state of New York. He was a Democrat until the Republican party was formed, and later, when he became a Republican, was an influential factor in changing St. Lawrence county from a banner Democratic county to a Republican stronghold. It was at first proposed to name for him the township that is now called De Puyster. Many of the inhabitants were anxious that Mr. Stilwell should be thus honored, but he himself declared that some of the proprietors might be willing to make the town a liberal gift for the privilege of giving it a name. Negotiations followed this suggestion, with the result that Frederick De Puyster, of New York, a prominent shipping merchant, procured the honor for his own great family name.

Mr. Stilwell married, 1809, Barbara Clute Vosberg, who died in 1866. Children: 1. Thomas, born January 24, 1810. 2. Ann Elizabeth, February 2, 1812. 3. James, March 2, 1814. 4. Smith, November 9, 1816. 5. Evelyn, June 30, 1818. 6. John, May 22, 1822. 7. Mary, July 20, 1824. 8. Catherine, March 22, 1826. 9. Samuel,

Page 301

mentioned below. 10. William, November 16, 1832.

(VII) Samuel, son of Smith Stilwell, was born in Ogdensburg, July 30, 1828, died May 30, 1862. He was educated in the public schools and at Ogdensburg Academy. He worked on his father's farm in his youth and afterward had charge of his father's extensive real estate. He owned a large nursery on the River Road and various stone quarries. He was a Presbyterian in religion, a Republican in politics. He married, march 30, 1853, Mary Ann, born in Ogdensburg, December 22, 1830, died March 23, 1890, daughter of Benjamin and Mary Witherhead. Children: 1. Mary, unmarried, resides in Ogdensburg. 2. Isabella (twin) died aged six years. 3. Cornelia (twin), lives at Ogdensburg, widow of Theodore Pine, the noted portrait painter, who was born in New Jersey, November 13, 1827, died at Ogdensburg, January 8, 1905, son of James and Maria (Crane) Pine, grandson of Robert Pine, a native of England, and Elizabeth (Taylor) Pine, a native of Springfield, Massachusetts. 4. Benjamin, died at thirty-two years of age; was a farmer; was one of the progressive young men; a deacon in the Presbyterian Church; Republican in politics. 5. Dr. Henry Smith, mentioned below. 6. Evelyn, married L. L. Wright, a farmer; children: Gertrude and Walter Wright. 7. Samuel, died aged twenty years.

(VIII) Dr. Henry Smith, son of Samuel Stilwell, was born at Oswegatchie, June 23, 1859. He attended the public schools, then for a time taught school, and later entered Potsdam Academy; he then began the study of medicine at the University of the City of New York, from which he received the degree of M.D. in 1887. Since that time he has been actively engaged in practicing medicine in Ogdensburg, and he has achieved distinctive success. He is a member of the St. Lawrence County Medical Society and the New York State Medical Society. He was appointed coroner of the county by Governor Hughes to fill a vacancy. To this office he has been re-elected, and he continues to fill it with ability to the present time. He is a member of Ogdensburg Lodge, No. 128, Free and Accepted Masons, of Ogdensburg; of Elijah White Lodge, No. 590, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He was formerly member and examining surgeon of the Order of United Workmen. He was also formerly health officer of the town of Oswegatchie. He belongs to the Presbyterian Church. He married, September 25, 1899, Florence E. Witherhead, of Lowell, Massachusetts, daughter of James Witherhead, superintendent of a mill in Lowell. Her mother was Cornelia Manson Witherhead. Dr. and Mrs. Stilwell have had but one child, Benjamin, who died at the age of ten months.

BRITTON. There are numerous representatives of this name in Northern New York, springing from various branches of the original family, and all contributing a worthy share to the development and progress of the region. the name was early planted in New England, but few particulars are obtainable regarding the early immigrants.

(I) James Britton, first known in this hemisphere, probably came in the ship "Increase" from London in 1637, at which time he was twenty-seven years old. he subscribed to the town orders of Woburn, Massachusetts, in 1640, when the settlement of that town was planned at Charlestown, and soon after settled in Woburn. His name appears in the first recorded tax list of Woburn, 1645, and he died there May 3, 1655, leaving a widow, Jane, who subsequently married Isaac Cole, with whom she went to live in Charlestown, taking with her sons Peter and William. She died March 10, 1687.

(II) William, younger son of James and Jane Britton, married Mary, eldest daughter of James and Mary (Palmer) Pendleton, of Westerly, Rhode Island, and probably

Page 302

resided in that vicinity. Captain James Pendleton was a son of Major Brian Pendleton, a distinguished citizen of Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine, a large landholder and distinguished in many official capacities.

(III) William (2), son of William (1) and Mary (Pendleton) Britton, married, October 26,. 1698 in Taunton, Massachusetts, Lydia, born March 10, 1679, daughter of James Leonard, of Taunton and Raynham, and probably lived in the latter town. Lydia Britton was among the petitioners at the Taunton Church meeting, October 7, 731, for an independent church at Raynham. She died May 20, 1735, according to one record, while another places it March 13, 1773, aged ninety-four years. Her husband probably died in 1732. Children: 1. James. 2. William. 3. Abiel. 4. Ebenezer. 5. Abigail. 6. Pendleton. 7. Mary. 8. Lydia. 9. Sarah. 10. Elizabeth.

(IV) Ebenezer, fourth son of William (2) and Lydia (Leonard) Britton, was born June 1, 1715, in Raynham, where he lived about fifty-five years. He was in Boston about a year and went to Westmoreland, New Hampshire, in 1771. He bought one hundred acres of land there July 6, of that year, and also purchased a grist and saw mill with twelve acres, the first mills built in that town. The grantor was James Minot, of Putney, "province of New York", the jurisdiction of Vermont then being in dispute. Putney is on the opposite side of the Connecticut River from Westmoreland. Ebenezer Britton was a warm patriot in Revolutionary days and signed the "association test." When his neighbors were troubled about the depreciation of Continental money, he said: "I am not afraid of Continental money; it will be redeemed in good time; redeemed or not redeemed, no soldier who has fought under George Washington shall go hungry while I have corn to feed him." Several of his sons were enlisted in the army. He was active in church and town matters, serving as deacon and many times a selectman, and was representative in 1776-77-78, and member of Continental Congress 1777-78. He married (first) May 20, 1735, Tabitha, daughter of Seth Leonard, his cousin, who died in 1749. He married (second) at Providence, Rhode Island, February 20, 1750, Sarah, daughter of Squire Bullock, of Rehoboth, Massachusetts, born September 12, 1731, died September 19, 1790. There were five children of first wife, and thirteen of second, the last two born in Westmoreland, the one preceding in Boston, the others in Raynham, namely: 1. Ebenezer. 2. David. 3. Abigail. 4. Wealthy. 5. Tabitha. 6. Samuel. 7. Keziah. 8. Job. 9. James. 10. Mercy. 11. Samuel. 12. Asa. 13. Stephen. 14. Squire. 15. Sarah. 16. Calvin. 17. Luther. 18. Martin. Calvin, born April 1, 1771, in Boston, became brigadier-general of militia; resided some time in Jefferson County, New York, and moved to Michigan about 1838-39. Two other sons and several grandsons also settled in Jefferson County.

(V) Luther, twelfth son and seventeenth child of Ebenezer Britton, and twelfth child of his second wife, was born May 12, 1773, in Westmoreland, and removed to New York about 1805-07, settling in 1809 at Chaumont, town of Lyme, Jefferson County, where he purchased a lot from James D. Le Ray, and built a hotel. In this building, where he entertained for many years, was held the first town meeting in Lyme, 1818, and at this meeting Mr. Britton was made one of the assessors. There were two persons of this name in Westmoreland simultaneously, from which an error regarding the marriage of this one arose and has received wide currency. The name of his first wife cannot be determined, but he had four children born in New Hampshire, where he was first married about 1795. He married, (second) 1809, Sally (Phippen), widow of John Sinclair, who bore him two children: Maria, born august 6, 1811, and Danford, mentioned below.

Page 303

(VI) Danford, son of Luther and Sally (Phippen Sinclair) Britton, was born May 14, 1817, in Chaumont, and was early left an orphan by the death of his father. He went to live with his sister, Maria, wife of James Loughrey, in Clayton, New York, whence they removed to Louisville Landing, St. Lawrence County. He attended the common schools at Clayton, and subsequently became a clerk in the store of Mr. Loughrey of Louisville Landing, whither they removed about 1835. In 1845 he formed a partnership with Jesse Bell Harris, under the style of Britton & Harris, and they continued to operate a general mercantile business at Louisville Landing until 1871. During this time Mr. Britton served several years as postmaster and was also collector of customs. The latter position was also filled by his partner a part of the time. Mr. Britton died in Ogdensburg, 1875. He married, October 2, 1844, Mary Newton, born January 25, 1823, died 1872, daughter of Joseph and Polly (Gleason) Harris, who came from Colerain, Massachusetts, to New York. Polly Gleason was a descendant of the Newton family, and her son, Jesse Bell, was Mr. Britton's partner in business. Mr. and Mrs. Britton were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Children: 1. William Danford. 2. James Luther. 3. Mary M. 4. George Emerson. The second died at Ogdensburg in 1894. The daughter is the wife of F. George Snaith.

(VII) William Danford, eldest child of Danford and May N. (Harris) Britton, was born October 2, 1845, at Louisville Landing, and received a common school education. when a boy he went to Watertown, New York, where he found employment ina store. After he went to Ogdensburg and became a clerk in a hardware store, and established himself as a hardware merchant in 1874. For thirty-five yeas he has conducted the establishment in the same place, and is still actively engaged in the business. He was one of the organizers of the National Bank of Ogdensburg, and is ranked among the sound and successful men of the town. In politics he is a Republican, and has been called upon to serve in public capacities, such as supervisor and alderman, in which he acquitted himself with credit. He is a member of Acacian Lodge, No. 705, Free and Accepted Mason; Ogdensburg Chapter, No. 63, Royal Arch Masons; Ogdensburg Commandery, No. 54, Knights Templar; Consistory of Syracuse, and Media Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Watertown; member of Century Club of Ogdensburg. He married (first) Emma McFadden, and (second) Mrs. A. L. Olds. One child, died in infancy.

(VII) James Luther, second son of Danford and Mary N. (Harris) Britton, was born June 30, `1848, at Louisville Landing, where he grew up. He settled at Massena, New York, where he established the Massena Banking Company, the first bank there, in association with his younger brother, George E. Britton. This establishment is now flourishing. He subsequently engaged in the banking business in the east; he returned to New York and died at the home of his eldest brother in Ogdensburg, 1984.

 

Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie Axtman

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.

2004

[Index][Book Index][NY][AHGP]