Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
is evident from English records that the Easton family was one of
considerable importance and standing in the old country. They are
mentioned in Burke's "General Armory," and arms and crest
given. Faubaum in his "Crests of Great Britain," gives two
crests, while long pedigrees have been traced, showing the Eastons or
Estons to descend from Adeliza, sister of William the Conqueror. The
Lewis County, New York family descend from Joseph Easton.
(I) Joseph Easton, founder, was born in England about 1602, and came to the United States prior to March 4, 1634. On that date the colonial records of Massachusetts show that he took the oath of a freeman. He settled first in Newtowne (Cambridge), Massachusetts, where he owned land. May 31, 1636, the colony, composed of persons attached to the religious principles of Thomas Hooker, that had arrived from England under his leadership, September 4, 1633, started on their exodus to Connecticut, where the previous year a delegation has been sent to procure a location and purchase lands from the Indians. Joseph Easton was one of the colony that left Massachusetts (and may have been one of the original colony leaving England), and settled the town of Hartford, Connecticut. He was one of the original proprietors of that town, where he died August 19, 1688. He held the office there of deacon of the first church, the highest honor that the colonials could then confer. He is named in the records of Hartford as holding the town offices of fence viewer, surveyor of the highways and constable. It is not known whom he married. Historians have said it was Hannah, daughter of James Ensign, but William Starr Ensign, the historian of the family, will not agree with them. Following an almost invariable custom of naming Th. fist or second child for the father or mother, it is almost certain that her first name was Mary or Sarah. Children: 1. John. 2. Joseph (see forward). 3. Mary. 4. Sarah.
(II) Joseph (2), son of Deacon Joseph Easton, founder, was born (it is believed) in Hartford, Connecticut, about 1648, as in October, 1669, he is recorded in the town records as a freeman, which implies a voter. March 5, 1674, he was chosen a grand juror, and in April, 1691, a deacon of the First Church. He was possessed of considerable land and money, which he disposed of by will, February 8, 1690, proved
in court, March 3, 1712. He died December 30, 1711, and Hannah Ensign, who were of the original colony, and one of the proprietors of Hartford. Children: 1. Joseph (see Forward). 2. James. 3. Hannah. 4. Elizabeth. 5. Jonathan. 6. Timothy. 7. Thankful.
(III) Joseph (3), son of Deacon Joseph (2) and Hannah (Ensign) Easton, was born in Hartford, Connecticut, about 1669, died in East Hartford, 1735. In 1699 he was a deputy to the general court of Connecticut, and appointed one of a committee of three to prepare a revision of the laws. He was a land owner and resided in that part of the town known as East Hartford. He married, in 1694, Sarah, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Meakins) Spencer, and grand-daughter of William and Agnes Spencer, first settlers of Hartford. Samuel Spencer, her father, was a representative to the general court of Massachusetts, lieutenant of militia, and one of the founders of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Boston. Children: 1. Timothy. 2. Joseph (4). 3. Sarah. 4. Samuel. 5. Elisha. 6. Elijah, (see forward). 7. Lemuel.
(IV) Elijah, son of Joseph (3) and Sarah (Spencer) Easton, was born in East Hartford, Connecticut, 1706, died in Suffield, Connecticut, January 24, 1756. He married, June 19, 1735, Elizabeth, born February 1, 1713, died July 24, 1761, daughter of Captain Joseph and Sarah (Taylor) Winchell, of Suffield, Connecticut. He died while his children were minors and the court appointed Elizabeth, his widow, guardian, under a bond of £100. Children" 1. Elijah (2), (see forward). 2. Bildad. 3. Ahimaz. 4. Joseph. 5. Elizabeth. 6. Mary. 7. Elizabeth (2). 8. Silence.
(V) Elijah (2), eldest child of Elijah (1) and Elizabeth (Winchell) Easton, was born in Suffield, Connecticut, July 14, 1736. Elijah Easton served in Captain John Harmon's Eighth Company, colonel Erastus Wolcott's regiment, called out by General Washington, which formed part of the detachment before Boston, January to March, 1776. He removed near the close of the Revolution to Wilmington, Vermont. He married, September 12, 1757, Abigail, born in Suffield, Connecticut, April 15, 1735, died at Bainbridge, new York, 1830, daughter of Ebenezer Noble. Children: 1. Elijah (3) (see forward). 2. Abigail. 3. Iris. 4. Anna. 5. Oliver. 6. Joel. 7. Polly. The family left New England and settled in different parts of New York State. Abigail married John Grant. Iris married John Tyrell, of Manchester, Vermont. Anna married Simeon Crane, a soldier of the Revolution. Oliver settled in Bainbridge, Chenango County, New York. Joel settled in Delhi, Delaware County, New York. Polly married Enoch Wilson, of Bennington, Vermont.
(VI) Elijah (3), son of Elijah (2) and Abigail (Noble) Easton, was born in Suffield, Connecticut, January 16, 1758. He was of Wilmington, Vermont, where he was proprietor's clerk and a leading man of the town. He was a soldier of the Revolution with the same company and regiment as his father. In 1777 Elijah Easton re-enlisted for three years, was taken sick at Mud Fort in November of that year, and transferred to the hospital at Trenton, New Jersey. At that time the hospital was removed seventy miles, the wagoners employed to transport the invalids ran off with the wagons, leaving him to make his way on foot. He afterwards petitioned the general assembly for relief and the sum of £30 was granted him. He married, in November, 1793, Hannah, daughter of Captain Josiah and Persis (Matthews) Locke (see Locke V). Children: 1. Candace, born July 23, 1798, at Sherburne, New York; married at Litchfield, New York, April 16, 1826, her cousin, Elam Locke, who died June 20, 1827. 2. Charity, July 24, 1801, died November 16, 1824. 3. Harvey, October 14, 1803, died May 3, 1881, in Postville, Iowa; he was a farmer of Martinsburg, Lewis County Mew York, and supervisor of the town in 1845. He married Maria Hume,
and had issue. 4. William Lyman, (see forward). 5. Fanny, June 8, 1808; married in Warren, New York, Dr. Francis B. Etheridge, a practicing physician of St. Johnsville, New York, died in Hastings, Minnesota. 6. Charles L., October 26, 1810, died March 2, 1880; married (first) Sophronia Starkweather; (second) Clarissa Locke; he was a practicing physician of Sherburne, New York.
(VII) William Lyman, son of Elijah (3) and Hannah (Locke) Easton, was born in Hancock, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, March 13, 1806, died in Lowville, New York, March 7, 1865. Shortly after his father died the family removed to Cedarville, Herkimer County. At the age of fourteen he went to Little Falls, New York, where he apprenticed himself to a printer, in the office of the Little Falls Courier. He completed his trade, and on October 10, 1825, at Lowville, New York, he began the publication of the Black River Gazette, politically an Independent newspaper, which he successfully conducted for some years, and disposed of to Joseph Farr. Relinquishing editorial work, he engaged in mercantile affairs, and until his death was an active partner in the firm of DeWitt C. West & Company, one of the most extensive houses in Northern New York. He was not only successful in this relation, bit in various other enterprises. He was one of the incorporators of the Bank of Lowville, in 1839, for eighteen years was a director and held successively the positions of cashier, vice-president and president. In 1855, on account of failing health, he went to Decorah, Iowa, believing the change of climate would be beneficial, but concluded not to locate there a that time. However, he established the banking house of Easton, Cooley & Company, which business he later placed in charge of his son, James H. Easton, under the firm name of William L. Easton & Son, and which afterwards became the First National Bank of Decorah. In politics, he was a Whig, and a power in the political world, albeit never a seeker after official distinction. In 1840 Governor Seward appointed him surrogate of Lewis County, New York, which position he filled with great ability for four years. In 1852 he was a delegate to the last national convention ever held by the Whig party, which nominated, at Baltimore, General Winfield Scott for president, and passed away to be replaced by a young and vigorous Republican Party under the leadership of Fremont, and then of the immortal Lincoln. Mr. Easton was one of the presidential electors on the Scott ticket. He was deeply interested in education, and for more than twenty years served as trustee of the Lowville Academy. He lent efficient aid to very local or public enterprise, and was one of the warmest friends of the Black River canal. Never forgetting his early struggles in the establishment of the Gazette, he ever evinced the warmest interest in the press of the county, and often aided their local and editorial departments with meritorious contributions and sound disinterested counsel. In all his business relations he dealt fairly and liberally with all, and was strictly prompt in fulfilling all his obligations. He rarely failed in an undertaking, and in political contests won the admiration of his opponents for his daring and well executed plans. He was in every way a valuable member of the community, and died deeply regretted. He married, February 5, 1828, Emeline, born March 2, 1810, in Lowville, New York, daughter of James and Lucy (Ward) Henry. She died January 8, 1895. Children: 1. Candace, born September 12, 1829, died August 7, 1847. 2. Emily H., born July 22, 1831; married, November 11, 1852, DeWitt C. West, who died August 27, 1880; a son, DeWitt Clinton West (2d), born April 7, 1864. 3. James Henry, November 28, 1833, died January 11, 1908. 4. William Locke, died in childhood. 5. Mary, died in infancy. 6. Charles, died in infancy. 7. Charles Locke, born June 10, 1840, died September 12,
1905. 8. Mary E., September 16, 1842; married, September 3, 1868, Leroy Crawford, and has a daughter, Anna E Crawford, born January 9, 1870. 9. Ellen, April 25, 1844; married W. D. Rulison, of Carthage, New York, who died May 26, 1891; children: Locke Devine, Frederick Shaw and Emma Grace Rulison, all deceased. 10. Fannie, died in infancy. 11. William Lyman, May 3, 1847; married, September 24, 1874, Louise Manville, at Watertown, New York. 12. Amelia C., November 4, 1848, died May 13, 1894, married, February 4, 1848, Isaac W. Norcross. 13. Frederick S., of whom further.
(VIII) Frederick Shaw, youngest child of William Lyman and Emeline (henry) Easton, was born in Lowville, New York, December 28, 1851. He was educated at the Lowville Academy and Dr. reed's school for boys at Geneva, New York. At the age of seventeen he entered business life as an employee of D. C. West & Company, the leading mercantile house of the county, remained until 1873, when he became a member of the firm of Waters & Easton, their successors. In 1879 the Black River National Bank was organized as the result of his efforts, and he became its first cashier. He discharged the duties of this position most creditably until June, 1904, when he was called to the presidency to succeed Charles P. Leonard, deceased. A deep student of the laws governing finance and financial operations, careful and conservative in method, he made the history of the bank phenomenal. Never a cloud has risen in the financial sky of this institution under his management, which has covered the entire period of its existence. Thoroughly trusted as a man, and implicitly believed in as a safe and same financier, the deposits of the bank, covering all sections of northern New York, have that feeling of perfect confidence that is the most precious asset of a financial institution. On the death of Hon. DeWitt Clinton West, in 1880, Mr. Easton settled his large estate, and his masterly management and fine business qualities were never better exhibited than in his handling of that important trust. Always a democrat, he would never allow his name to be used as a candidate until 1884, when he was persuaded to permit his name to be presented to the Democratic state convention as a presidential elector, and in vote of New York for Cleveland and Hendricks, the first successful candidates of the party since for president and vice-president since James Buchanan, in 1856. He cast his first presidential vote for Samuel J. Tilden, and during the dark days of defeat he remained loyal to his principles, supporting each successive candidate with all the vigor and enthusiasm, of his nature. In the Greeley campaign he was one of the most active workers in the county, although lacking a dew weeks of legal age. He succeeded Hon, DeWitt C. West on the board of railroad commissioners of the town of Lowville, and so skillfully and faithfully did he guard public interests that when $100,000 of the stock of the Utica & Black River Railroad Company was placed in his hands to dispose of, the town bond issued to take the railroad stock were not only fully paid, bur $30,000 surplus turned back into the treasury for the benefit of the taxpayers. He was a director of the Utica & Black river Railroad Company from 1880 until the New York Central and Hudson river roads assumed control. .He was actively engaged in the construction of the Lowville and Beaver River Railroad, and has been a director and treasurer of the company from its organization. He is one of the leaders in the social life of the town. He was one of the founders of the Lowville Club, and a governor for nine years. At his beautiful home he entertains with graceful hospitality, and many of the noted men of the state, including governors and senators, have graced his board. He is an attendant of Trinity Episcopal Church, and has been a vestryman for many years. There is no interest or
feature of the town that he is not ready to advance.
Mr. Easton married, October 6, 1880, Anna S, House, of Houseville, New York. Children: 1. Grace Helen, born December 31, 1881; married May 27, 1905, Frank G. Scofield. 2. Frederick Shaw, August 29, 1883; married, October 18, 1905, Linda May Hoopes; one child, William Locke, born December 13, 1906.
(The Locke Line).
The progenitors of Hannah Locke, wife of Elijah (3) Easton, was Deacon William Locke, who was born at Stepney Parish, London, England, December 13, 1628, died at Woburn, Massachusetts, June 16, 1720. He came to America in 1634, a lad of six years, with his relative (believed to be his uncle), Nicholas Davies, his wife Sara, and son Joseph. Davies was a man of property and when Woburn was incorporated and set off from Charlestown in 1642, Davies was one of those appointed to sign "town orders." When or with whom William Locke resided during his minority is not known. On December 25, 1655, he married Mark Clarke, then of Woburn, daughter of William and Margery Clarke, born December 29, 1640, she being at the time only fifteen years of age. She became the mother of a large family, and died July 18, 1715, in her seventy-fifth year. William Locke soon became the owner of real estate, and eventually a man of property. By grant, purchase and exchange he acquired a great deal of land in and about Woburn, a great deal of which he gave to his sons as they married and started in life. He is named in the records of Woburn as surveyor of fences, constable, selectman and grand juror to the supreme court. He was a deacon of the church and one of its main pillars. The house occupied by him, which he probably built, was known as the "Fox House," situated about a mile and a half west of Woburn centre, on the road leading to Lexington. Children, all born at Woburn: 1. William (2). 2. William (3). 3. John. 4. Joseph. 5. Mary. 6. Samuel. 7. Ebenezer (see forward). 8. James. 9. Elizabeth.
(II) Lieutenant Ebenezer, seventh child of Deacon William and Mary (Clarke) Locke, was born January 8, 1674, died December 24, 1723. He resided with his father on the homestead, of which he became the owner, together with other real estate. He held many of the town offices and was lieutenant of the "train band." He married (first) Susannah Walker, who died June 13, 1699; married (second) Hannah Meads, October 14, 1701. She was born September 17, 1676, died July 24, 1739, daughter of David and Hannah Meads, of Cambridge. She survived her husband and died at the age of sixty-three. Child by fist wife: 1. Ebenezer. Children by second wife: 2. Samuel, the father of Rev. Samuel Locke, president of Harvard College, 1769. 3. Josiah. 4. Joshua, (see forward). 5. Nathan. 6. Hannah.
(III) Joshua, son of Lieutenant Ebenezer and his second wife Hannah (Meads) Locke, was born August 21, 1709, died at Southboro, Massachusetts, 1767. He resided in Woburn, Westboro, Boston and Southboro. He was a carpenter. He was on the "alarm" list of Southboro, 1757. He married (first) Hannah Reed; (second) Tabitha, daughter of Dr. Isaac Bellows, of Southboro. Children of second wife: 1. Joshua. 2. Josiah, (see forward). 3. Ebenezer.
(IV) Captain Josiah, son of Joshua and Tabitha (Bellows) Locke, was born February 6, 1735, at Westboro, Massachusetts, died at Litchfield, New York, April 16, 1819. He resided at Westboro, 1760, Leicester, 1765, Hardwick, 1768, where he was captain in the militia, and soon after the battle of Lexington marched with his company to Roxbury, where they were encamped for some time. While at Hardwick, he kept a country store. About 1779 he removed to Wilmington, Vermont, which town he had previously surveyed and laid out: his plan can still be found in the clerk's office. He was justice of the peace at Wilmington, and
owned considerable land. He removed to Litchfield, New York, where he died in his eighty-fifth year. He married Persis Matthews, of New Braintree, Massachusetts, born September 3, 1735, twin of Hannah, and one of fifteen children, thirteen of whom lived at adult age. She died at Litchfield, New York, April 21, 1839, aged one hundred and three years, five months, and seven days, having had eight children, sixty-seven grandchildren, and thirty-two great-grandchildren, living to see six generations. Children: 1. John. 2. Persis. 3. Josiah (2). 3. Hannah (see forward). 4. Hepsibah. 5. Fanny. 6. Ira.
(V) Hannah, daughter of Captain Josiah and Persis (Matthews) Locke, was born at Hardwick, Massachusetts, August 26, 1770; she married, November, 1793, Elijah (3) Easton (see Easton VI). She survived him and moved to Cedarville, New York, with her children, where her father then resided. In 1830 she married Daniel Talcott, of Warren, New York, who died about 1847. She died August 27, 1851.
LEONARD. About the year 1800 Rev. Fobes, LL.D., pastor of the Congregational Church in Raynhan, furnished for the Massachusetts Historical Collection (vol III, P. 173) an account of the Leonard family, particularly of its longevity, promotion to office and attachment to the iron manufacture. In his parish was the location of the family; there they built their forge, there erected there first dwelling, there passed to eventful scenes of their transactions and intercourse with the Indians, particularly with King Philip, that famous and warlike chieftain of the red man. It is an historical fact that during King Philip's war Taunton was protected from harm by the king's friendliness for Thomas Leonard. His favorite hunting grounds were around Taunton, and King Philip and the Leonards were on such friendly terms that as soon as the War of 1675 broke out he issued strict orders to all his Indians "never to hurt the Leonards." The brother who first came to America, Henry and James, wee from Pountycool, Monmouth county, Wales, a place celebrated for its working of iron, at an early date. It has been said that the Leonards are of the family of Lennard, Lord Dacre, one of the distinguished families of Great Britain, descended in two lines from Edward III., and the state has some plausibility. Thomas Leonard, father of James and Henry, did not emigrate to America.
(I) James, son of Thomas Locke, was born in England about 1618. He was at Lynn, Massachusetts, in 1651; of Braintree in 1652, settled at Taunton the same year, and with his brother Henry established the first forge for making iron in Plymouth Colony. "It was at a town meeting, conferred and agreed upon, between the inhabitants of Taunton and Henry Leonard of Braintree," Imprimis: "It was agreed and granted by the town to the said Henry Leonard, and James Leonard, his brother, and Ralph Russell, free consent to come hither and join with certain of our inhabitants, to set up a Bloomery work on the Two Mile Run." The "Bloomery," according to their agreement, "was erected and the iron manufacture extensively and prosperously pursued." The forge they erected was the great joint stock company of that vicinity. For several generations are fund on the probate and other records, "My share" or "shares in the iron works." Henry Leonard, who with James, established the forge at Taunton (now Raynham), left early in 1674 and went to New Jersey, establishing the iron manufacture in that colony. The Leonards were interested in the iron works at Lynn, Braintree, Rowley village and Taunton, and at a later date in those at Canton, literally verifying the statement so often made, "Where you find irons works, there you will find a Leonard." Six generations were actively interested in the
manufacture of iron as a family, and the old forge, several times remodeled, was in constant use over two hundred years. James Leonard and his sons often traded with the Indians and were on terms of friendship with them, as before related. James died before 1691; Margaret, his wife, survived him, dying in 1701. Children: 1. Thomas, (see forward). 2. James (2). 3. Abigail. 4. Rebecca. 5. Joseph. 6. Benjamin. 7. Hannah. 8. Uriah.
(II) Thomas, eldest son and child of James and Margaret Leonard, was born in England, about 1641, died November 24, 1713. He came to New England with his father "when a small boy", and "afterwards worked at the Bloomery and with him in the forge." He was a physician, major, justice of the peace, town clerk, and deacon. From 1702 until 1713 he was judge of the court of common pleas. He had many famous descendants. He was the Thomas mentioned as the particular friend of King Philip--in fact, his son John, born 1668, married King Philip's daughter Mary. Children: 1. Mary. 2. Thomas (2). 3. John. 4. George. 5. Samuel. 6. Elkanah. 7. James. 8. An unnamed daughter. 9. Seth. 10. Phoebe. 11. Elizabeth. Another Leonard line begins with Solomon of Monmouthshire, England, founder of the "Bridgewater Branch." The name became a common one in New England. The Leonard family descended from John of West Springfield, Massachusetts, 1639. The first twelve settlers of the name were sons of Silas Leonard of the fourth generation. Elias (IV) was a son of Reuben (III), who married Miriam Day, of West Springfield, and grandson of Josiah (II), son of John (1).
(V) James Harvey, son of Elias Leonard, was born at West Springfield, Massachusetts, September 22, 1780, and died in Syracuse, New York, March 14, 1845. He removed to New York, locating at Skaneateles, where he was a clerk. In 1804, in company with his cousin, Stephen Leonard, also a clerk, he first visited Lowville, Lewis County, coming on horseback with the intention of remaining. In September, 1804, James H. Leonard began business in Lowville, and in January, 1805, was joined by Stephen. For twenty-five years, the firm of J. H. & S. Leonard remained in business. They were widely known through northern New York. They supplied rations to the troops passing through the country, and had large business connections in Canada. He was a prominent, public-spirited man and a leader in the town. He held the office of postmaster for many years, and was the original trustee of Lowville Academy. He was an elder of the Presbyterian Church, and a man of moral and intellectual strength. He married, May, 1805, Mary, daughter of Captain John Parish (lost at sea), of Bransford, Connecticut. She was born July 10, 1785, and died at Lowville, May 19, 1871, aged eighty-six. They had five son and four daughters, among which were: 1. Cornelius Parish. 2. Francis K. 3. James Loren. 4. Van Vechten. 5. Charles R. (died young). Daughters were: 6. Marietta. 7. Susan M., and 8. Caroline R.
(VI) James Loren, fifth and youngest son of James Harvey and Mary (Parish) Leonard, was born in Lowville, Lewis County, New York, June 5, 1821, died January 26, 1867. He was educated at Lowville Academy, where he completed his education at the age of seventeen. He began his business career as a clerk in the store of J. F. Ellis, at Carthage, New York, and after a few months with him returned to Lowville, entering the store of William L. Easton, where after seven years' service he was admitted as a partner, with a one-third interest. On April 10, 1840, he began his long connection with the bank of Lowville, as bookkeeper. He was appointed teller June 19, 1841, and on April 1, 1846, was elected cashier. April 19, 1855, he was chosen vice-president, and on September 19, 1857, became president. At an early period of his connection with the bank he began to buy the stock as the opportunity offered and his means allowed, until nearly all was
owned by Mr. Easton and himself. In 1856, he purchased the larger interest of his associate, and became almost sole owner of the institution. He also organized the Valley Bank and Bank of the People, as individual banks, under the general banking laws of the state. The former he disposed of and the latter voluntarily liquidated. During the financial crisis of 1857, when the banks went down to ruin everywhere, the Bank of Lowville asked for the appointment of a receiver, who was appointed October 10, and dissolved, October 27, of the same year, after finding the sound and healthy condition of the bank's assets. They came through the crisis without a single loss or bringing suit against a customer. It has been the chief financial institution of the county, and Mr. Leonard's financial ability and banking management brought him warmest praise. His name will always be linked with that of Giles C. Easton, and held in greatest remembrance by his town. He was the "father" of the town. he conducted his business to the common advancement of his own interest and those of the public generally; as his means increased his native generosity and public spirit expanded to meet his growing impulses. The erection of a session room and the costly renovation of the Presbyterian Church; the enlargement of Lowville Academy; his efforts to bring a railroad to the town; his personal intention to erect a telegraph line, which brought an established company in; his advocacy of a rural cemetery; his generous bequest to and endowment of Lowville Academy; his erection of a fine central block of buildings; his hearty support of Mr. Hough in his efforts to publish a history of Lewis County; his warm support of the Union cause; and his numerous public and private charities, are all monuments to his memory, and will long be remembered. He was fond of travel, and was one of the few who were present at the "restoration of the flag" exercises at Fort Sumter; he witnessed the Grand Review of the tattered "boys in blue" at Washington; after the war he visited the battlefields of the South. He had many plans for the advancement of the educational interests of Lowville that death nullified, that would have necessitated a public library and historical building for the preservation of pioneer memorials. He married, January 25, 1858, Mary M. Williard, who died August 11 following, daughter of General Joseph A. Williard, of Lowville. He never married again.
(VI) Cornelius parish, son of James Harvey and Mary (Parish) Leonard, was born in Lowville, Lewis County, New York, February 13, 1813, died October 17, 1863. He was educated at Lowville Academy, and after his school days were ended, entered the mercantile house of William L. Easton & Company, as clerk, where he remained until after is marriage, when he removed to Ohio city, Ohio, (Now West Cleveland). Here he was for a time in the drug business. He was afterwards of Geneva, New York. One of his father's enterprises in which he took a deep interest and to which he devoted much time after his retirement from mercantile life was silk culture, and at Carthage, New York, he had a farm devoted to the raising of mulberry trees and silk worms. After leaving Geneva he was associated with his father in this enterprise. He next spent six years at Watertown, New York, and June, 1847, returned to Lowville, where he had a dry goods store and engaged in the lumber trade. He was appointed postmaster of Lowville, and later cashier of the Black River National Bank, which position he was holding at the time of his death. He was an old-time Whig, and later a Republican. His church connection was with the Presbyterians. He married, September 10, 1835, Elizabeth F. Jones, born in Albany, New York, April 17, 1817, died January 26, 1869, daughter of Peter and Margaret (Otterson) Jones. Children: 1. Henry Chapman, born April 30, 1838, died April 11, 1901; graduated from Lowville and was associated with his father in business. 2.
Mary Elizabeth, October 16, 1840, educated at Lowville Academy, and Elmira College, Elmira, New York; married Dr. H. Prescott Chambers. Mrs. chambers is the last of this distinguished line of Leonards.
H. Prescott Chambers, D.D.S., was born in Lowville, Lewis County, New York, April 7, 1840, died July 18, 1898, son of Rufus, and grandson of William H. and Rachel Chambers. Rufus Chambers was born in Farmingham, Massachusetts, August 11, 1799, died 1880; married, 1827, Betsey Wilbur, born 1805, died January 15, 1887. H. Prescott chambers was educated at Lowville Academy; studied dentistry in new York city, and after receiving his degree began practice in Lowville, which he continued all his life. he was a veteran of and served in the great Civil War. he enlisted as private in the Seventh new York Cavalry (known as the "Black Horse Cavalry") and was mustered out first lieutenant. He was a cultured musician and the head of all musical life of the town. For forty years he was organist of the Presbyterian Church, and for several years an elder. He was a Republican in politics, a comrade of the Grand Army of the Republic, and a member of the Masonic Order.
He married, Mary Elizabeth Leonard, daughter of Cornelius P. and Elizabeth (Jones) Leonard. (See Leonard VI). Mrs. chambers survives her husband and resides in Lowville. She is a member through her patriotic ancestry of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and her colonial ancestry has admitted her to the Society of Colonial Dames. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.