Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
|PROCTOR. Ancestors of
the New England Proctors were easily arrivals in Boston, and
participated in the original settlement of several important outlying
districts. Descendants of the immigrants penetrated into remote regions,
becoming original settlers in territories which afterward attained the
dignity of statehood, and not a few of them went beyond the limits of
New England into the great west, where their posterity are still to be
found. The Proctors were patriotic during the Revolutionary War and that
of 1812-15; and in addition to their honorable military services they
have acquired distinction in civil life. The family is of English
origin, and the name is first met with in the records of Norfolk., where
was early as the fourteenth century they were closely allied by
intermarriage with the celebrated Beauchamps, which was the family name
of the earls of Pembroke. Among the landholders mentioned in these
records are Sir William Beauchamp Proctor, and his son George, who in
turn inherited an estate which had been originally granted by John, Earl
of Pembroke, to his cousin, William de Beauchamp, who died in 1378.
Early in the emigration period, which began about 1629, four of the name
of Proctor are known to have come to New England--John, Richard, George
and Robert. There is some evidence to show that they were descendants of
William Proctor, of Nether-Bordley, Yorkshire, and his wife Isabel,
daughter of John Lilburn, of Shawdon, and it is quite reasonable to
infer that William was descended from Sir William Beauchamp Proctor of
(I) Robert Proctor first appears in the records of Massachusetts at Concord, where he was made a freeman in 1643. In 1653 he petitioned with twenty-eight others for a grant of land six miles square, which was granted and the territory was organized the next year as the town of Chelmsford, at which time Robert Proctor was a resident. He died there April 28, 1697, leaving lands to some of his children, and having previously given other lands to six sons. He married, December 31, 1645, Jane, eldest daughter of Richard Hildreth, of Concord and Chelmsford, ancestor of the Hildreths of America, who died at Chelmsford, 1688. The first four or five of Robert Proctor's children were born in Concord, the other in Chelmsford, namely: 1. Sarah. 2. Gershom. 3. Mary. 4. Peter. 5. Dorothy. 6. Elizabeth. 7. James. 8. Lydia. 9. John. 10. Samuel. 11. Israel. 12. Thomas.
(II( Gershom, eldest son of Robert and Jane (Hildreth) proctor, was born May 13, 1648, in Concord, and died November 8, 1714, in Chelmsford, leaving an estate valued at £1683 one shilling. His name appears in the list of men who in 1686 purchased of Major Henchman a strip of land on the west side of Concord River belonging to the Indian plantations. He married July 4, 1690, Sarah Whitacre, who may
have been a second wife. Children: 1. Gershom. 2. Jonathan. 3. Sarah. 4. Nathan. 5. Hannah. 6. Ebenezer. 7. Jane. 8. Israel. 9. Esther.
(III) Israel, youngest son of Gershom and Sarah (Whitacre) Proctor, was born October 4, 1708, in Chelmsford, and died there June 15, 1755. He married September 18, 1735, Sarah Raymond, of that town. Children: 1. Sarah. 2. Abigail. 3. Israel. 4. Hannah. 5. Mary (died young). 6. William. 7. Nathan. 8. Mary. 9. Lucy.
(IV) William, second son of Israel and Sarah (Raymond) Proctor, was born February 20, 1745, in Chelmsford, and died February 19, 1846, in Washington, New Hampshire. He removed to the latter town about 1775, accompanied by his younger brother and sister Hannah, wife of Daniel Danforth. The town had then been settled only seven years, and they participated in the experiences of pioneers in a wilderness. He settled first on Millen Pond, but, finding the title to his land defective, he moved to another place. He was among the petitioners for the incorporation of the town in 1776, and was a member of the military company which marched from the town in defence of American liberty, under Captain Brockway, in 1777. He was selectman in 1780-81, and in 1786 was a member of the committee charged with procuring materials for the meeting house. He was known by the title of captain, probably on account of militia service,. and was highly respected. He married June 11, 1769, Mary, daughter of Oliver Proctor, whose lineage is as follows: (2) Peter, son of Robert Proctor, born 1652, in Chelmsford, married, January 30, 1680, Mary, daughter of James and Rebecca (Stevenson) Patterson, born August 22, 1760. (3) Peter (2), son of Peter (1) and Mary (Patterson) Proctor, was born August 14, 1694, and married in 1720, Hannah Harwood. He settled in Littleton, Massachusetts, and died in 1772. (4) Oliver, son of Peter (2) and Hannah (Harwood) Proctor, was born March 25, 1721, in Chelmsford, and died November 3, 1793. He married, October 10, 1744, Mary, daughter of Aaron and Abigail (Adams) Parker of Westwood, who died 1789. (5) Mary, eldest daughter of Oliver and Mary (Parker), was born July 15, 1749, in Westwood, and died September 22, 1845, in Washington, New Hampshire. After living together over seventy-six years, William Proctor and wife were separated only five months in death. Children: 1. Mary. 2. Sarah. 3. Israel;. 4. Jesse. 5. Raymond. 6. Isaac. 7. Lucy. 8. Martha. 9. Abigail. 10. William.
(V) Israel (2), eldest son of William and Mary (Proctor) Proctor, was born January 30, 1774, in Chelmsford, and died March 13, 1839, in Washington, nearly seven years before his father. He married, March 7, 1798, Lydia Reed, of Acton, Massachusetts, born October 28, 1781, died March 30, 1864, daughter of William Reed, of Lexington and Acton, who was a captain in Thomas' Massachusetts regiment of Revolutionary soldiers in 1775, and also captain during the year 1776 in the Twenty-third regiment of the Continental Army. Israel proctor's children; 1. Israel (died young) 2. Roxana. 3. Lydia (died young). 4. Martha. 5. Moses D. 6. Israel. 7. Isaac. 8. Lydia. 9. Elizabeth. 10. Lucy.
(VI) Israel (3), third son of Israel (2) and Lydia (Reed) Proctor, was born March 25, 1809, in East Washington, and spent his last years at the home of his son in Ogdensburg, where he died, April 210, 1888, and was buried in East Washington. He married, June 3, 1835, Mary, daughter of Eeber Barnes, of Hillsborough. Children: 1. William L. 2. Lucy (died young). 3. Emily C. 4. Alfred G. 5. Mary E. 6. Henry Israel. 7. Lucelia. 8. Lucy B. 9. Charles D.
(VII) William Lawrence, eldest son of Israel (3) and Mary (Barnes) Proctor, was born March 26, 1837, in East Washington, and was educated in the local district school and Washington and New London academies, New Hampshire. In September, 1857, he went to Burlington, Vermont, to take employment with his uncle,
Lawrence Barnes, who was engaged in the lumber business with others. In June, 1859, young Proctor was sent by the firm to conduct a branch establishment just opened, at Ogdensburg, and that place continued thereafter to be his home. Under his wise and enterprising management this became one of the largest lumber concerns in the world, and he remained at its head until failing health compelled his retirement two years before his death. By advice of physicians he went to Lakewood, New Jersey, in pursuit of health, and died there November 19, 1897, in his sixty-first year. Mr. Proctor early identified himself with the Baptist Church of Ogdensburg, was for twenty years superintendent of its Sunday School, and for a longer time, and until his death, one of its trustees. He was a member of the Ogdensburg Club, and held many public offices, but none to which a salary was attached. For two years he was village trustee, three years an alderman of the city, seven years mayor, a member of the board of education, and one of the commissioners to build the town hall. For fifteen years he was president of the superintendents of the poor, and was a trustee of the City Hospital and president of the Cemetery Association. Except for a short time he was president of the board of managers of the St. Lawrence State Hospital for the Insane. He was for fifteen years a member of the state committee of the Republican Party, was a member of its national conventions in 1884 and 1896, and presidential elector in 1888, when he cast his vote for Benjamin Harrison. Mr. Proctor was identified with many of the leading business interests of Ogdensburg, other then the lumber business. He was one of the organizers of the George hall Coal Company and the Marine Railway Company; was a director of the First National Bank and president of the Republican and Journal Company. At his death his home city put on mourning and paid high tribute to his work. At his funeral the flags of the city were placed at half-mast, and business houses were closed. Thousands were in attendance, and loving tributes were offered by pastors and friends. Numerous letters and telegrams from absent ones testified to public esteem and grief at his death. Various bodies adopted resolutions of respect, and upon recommendations of the board of public works the city council and trustees of the State Hospital gave the name of Proctor Avenue to the magnificent boulevard running from the east end of Ford Street through the hospital grounds, which had been constructed under his supervision and mainly through his influence.
He married, February 12, 1861, Dolly Pauline, daughter of Rev. Joel Manning and Nancy ((Cronkhite) Howard, born December 16, 1842. Children: 1. William Henry. 2. Lawrence Manning. 3. Mary Isabel. 4. Nancy Grace. 5. Mabel Jane. The last-named, born July 6, 1872, married July 17, 1895, Smith Lee Dawley, of Ogdensburg (See Dawley IV).
(The Dawley Line).
The family herein mentioned came to American from England in the early part of the nineteenth century, and has been identified with the development of northern New York from its arrival to the present time.
(I) Robert Dawley lived and died in England, and little is known of him. His wife was a Miss Kidd, and the name of only one of their children is preserved in this country.
(II) John, son of Robert Dawley, was born at Selby, Yorkshire, England, where he was a small farmer and died before 1830. He married Mary Thompson, who survived him and came to America with her children in 1830. They arrived at Montreal, and immediately went to Waddington, St. Lawrence County, New York, where they settled. Children: 1. John. 2. William. 3. Mary. 4. Hannah, all now deceased.
(III) William, second son of John and
Mary (Thompson) Dawley, was born July 12, 1816, at Selby, England, and was fourteen years of age when he accompanied his mother and brother and sisters to this country. He had attended school in his native town and was also a student in his native town and was also a student at Waddington. In early life he was a sailor on the St. Lawrence River and Lake Ontario, between Ogdensburg and Lewiston, New York, and was on the ship "United States" at the time of the Fenian border troubles. On attaining his majority he went on a farm in the town of Lisbon, St. Lawrence County, with his mother, and became a prosperous farmer of that town, ultimately owning several farms. Beside carrying on agriculture on a large scale he owned and operated a brick-yard, and was widely known as a successful business man and farmer. He was a prominent member of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, was an ardent Republican in politics, and a member of the county excise board at the time of his death, January 2, 1892, at this home in Lisbon. He married, in 1846, Hannah Taylor, born July 16, 1824, in Skelton, Yorkshire, England, daughter of Robert and Eleanor (Wilson) Taylor. She survived her husband more than eleven years and died July 14, 1903, in Lisbon. Children: 1. Ellen M., Wife of Thomas O'Neil, a large stock farmer of Cameron, Missouri, and had children: i. Grace, deceased, ii. Mary M., iii. Rex, and iv. Ruth. 2. John M., married Ellen Smith, resides at Madrid, New York, and has a son, Jay. 3. Elizabeth J., deceased wife of Thomas Simpson, a farmer of Waddington, having a daughter, Elizabeth. 4. George T., a physician located at New London, Wisconsin; married Miriam Douglas. 5. William H., married Addie Akin, now deceased; is a farmer at Lisbon, having a son Neal. 6. Mary, wife of E. G. Boice, a mining engineer living at Douglas, Arizona; one son, George. 7. Robert, married Belle Fisher; resides on a farm in Lisbon; children: Charles, George, Grace, Percy, Mary, Elizabeth and Thomas. 8. Smith Lee, mentioned below. 9. Sarah, wife of M. T. Sanderson, a farmer of Flackville, New York; children: Earl and Mary, latter deceased. 10. Jay, resides on the paternal homestead in Lisbon; married Hattie Putney; one daughter, Marion.
(IV) Smith Lee, fifth son of William and Hannah (Taylor) Dawley, was born November 18, 1861, in Lisbon, and received his elementary education in the public schools of the neighborhood, after which he became a student at the Potsdam Normal School. For three years he was a teacher in the schools of Ogdensburg, after which he went in 1889 to Royalton, Wisconsin, and engaged in the milling business. This he continued four years, an during that time was postmaster under President Harrison. In 1893 he returned to Ogdensburg and engaged ina general insurance business, succeeding the old Hasbrouck insurance agency, and has since continued that line of activity. He is a trustee of the estate of the late William L. Proctor, a director of the New York Baptist State convention, also of the Fleming & Sovie Furniture Company, of Ogdensburg, New York, a city supervisor, and was a member of the board of education, of which he has been president. He is a member of the Ogdensburg Club; of the Republican county committee; of Acacia Lodge, No. 705, A. F. and A. M.; and Elijah white Lodge, No. 590, I. O. O. F., and is a trustee of the First Baptist Church of Ogdensburg. He married, July 17, 1895, Mabel Jane Proctor, daughter of William L. proctor, of Ogdensburg (See Proctor VII). They have one daughter, Eleanor Howard Dawley.
HUTCHINGS. The Hutchings family is identical with the Hutchins and the surname is derived from a place name. It is an ancient and distinguished English family.
I. Charles Hutchings was born near Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, about 1754, a descendant of an early colonial family of this name. The census of 1794 in the state of Virginia shows that the name was born by a score or so of families in Virginia at that time. He was a tobacco planter, dealer and exporter, and a citizen of substance and standing in the community. He served in the army in the Revolution. He married Martha (Jones) Green, a widow. They had two sons, Robert and Edward.
(II) Robert, son of Charles Hutchings, was born in Dinwiddie County, Virginia, 1780. In 1791, when he was a boy of eleven, his father moved to Georgia. At that time the movement southward was strong, whole colonies being formed and traveling together in six-horse wagons to the promising cotton fields of the south. Robert Hutchings and his neighbors located in Jones County, Georgia, and he followed the business of cotton planter the remainder of his days. He married Drusilla, born 1784, daughter of Richard and Frances Bonner. Children: 1. Charles, born 1802; married Eliza Ann Southwick, of North Carolina. 2. Matilda, 1805; married Philip Catchings. 3. Emily, 1807; married Joseph Winship. 4. Elbert, 1809; married Martha Comer. 5. Ellen, 1812; married Levi Singleton. 6. Lucetta, 1814; married David Pinckney Brown. 7. Richard Henry, 1817; mentioned below. 8. Robert Rufus, 1821; married Rebecca King.
(III) Richard Henry, son of Robert Hutchings, was born in Jones County, Georgia, November 9, 1817; died July, 1873. He was a cotton planter and general merchant. Before the Civil War he was member of the George Legislature, known as the secession legislature, but resigned in 1861 to accept the appointment of judge of Jones County. He was keenly interested in public affairs and was a prominent and influential citizen. He was a Free Mason and a member of the Methodist Church. He married, July 28, 1853, Cornelia Greaves, born May 11, 1834, of Jones County, Georgia. Children: 1. Sarah, married Robert E. Steed, secretary and treasurer of the Dunlap Hardware Company of Macon, Georgia; children: i. Philip, ii. Cornelia, iii. Annie Lou, iv. Frank Dunlap. 2. Alice, married Dr., Felix Johnston, of Waldon, Georgia; children: i. Marwood, ii. Richard, iii. Eleazer Johnston. 3. Annie (deceased), married Thomas J. Smith, a farmer of Smithborough, Georgia; children: i. Cornelia, ii. Chloe Smith. 4. Robert, died young. 5. Charles, died young. 6. Richard Henry, mentioned below.
(IV) Dr. Richard Henry (2), son of Richard Henry (1) Hutchings, was born at Clinton, Georgia, August 28, 1869. He attended the Middle Georgia Military College, from which he received a certificate in 1887. He took a special course in the University of Georgia in 1887-88, and then entered upon the study of his profession at Bellevue Medical College, New York City, receiving his degree as M. D. in 1891. In 1891-92 he was house physician at the almshouse and incurable hospital on Blackwell's Island. In 1893, after a competitive civil service examination for the position, he was appointed fourth assistant physician in the St. Lawrence State Hospital for the Insane at Ogdensburg, New York. He had been an interne in this institution for a time. Later in the year he was promoted to place of third assistant; in 1895 was made second assistant, and in 1896 first assistant. Since 1893 he had been superintendent of the asylum. He is a recognized authority in mental diseases and in the treatment of the insane. He is a lecturer on mental diseases in Syracuse University, and a frequent contributor to current medical literature upon this subject. Dr. Hutchings is a leading specialist in mental and nervous diseases, and had made a lifelong study of methods of caring for the insane, of the prevention of insanity, of methods of nursing the insane and training nurses for the work. He is a member of the American Medical Association, the American Medico-Psychological
Association, and of the Medical Society of the state of New York. He belongs to the Century Club of Ogdensburg. The family attends St. John's Episcopal Church.
He married, 1893, at Milledgeville, Georgia, Lillie Beall, daughter of Charles W. and Emma (Bass) Compton. They have a summer house near Saranac Lake in the Adirondacks. Children: 1. Richard Henry, born September 19, 1894. 2. Charles Wyatt, August 21, 1899. 3. Dorothy, May 4, 1909.
SPEARS. The surname Spear is of ancient English origin, though the family seems never to have been very numerous. The name is also spelled Spere and Spears.
George Spear or Spears, immigrant ancestor of all of this surname in this country, came from England to Massachusetts in 1642, and settled in Braintree. He was admitted a freeman May 29, 1644. For a time he lived at Dorchester, but in old age removed to New Dartmouth, now Pemaquid, Maine, and is said to have been killed b y the Indians. He married Mary ---------------, who died at Braintree, December 7, 1674. Children: 1. George, married, April 2, 1669, Mary, born January 16, 1652-53, daughter of Samuel Deering, of Braintree; children: i. Hannah, ii. Mary, iii. Eleazer, given by some writers as of his parents. 2. Sarah, born January 3, 1644-45; married, June 19, 1672, George Witty. 3. Richard, had seven children, baptized April 11, 1698. 4. Samuel, October 15, 1652; died young. 5. Ebenezer, August 3, 1654; married Rachel Deering. 6. Hannah, March 30, 1656-57; died 1668. 7. Samuel, January 10, 1658-59. 8. Nathaniel, May 15, 1660' married Hannah Holman.
George Spears, a descendant of George Spears, was born March 27, 1822, in Shoreham, Vermont, died April 26, 1892. He settled at Colton, New York. He had brothers Charles, James Edwin, Alonzo, Samuel and Marshall A. Spears. He married, September 30, 1848, in Colton, New York, Clarissa Jane, born June 11, 1825, in West Potsdam, New York, died June 8, 1896, daughter of James S. and Melinda (Wilson) Ellis. James S. Ellis is the son of Ziba Ellis, born January 29, 1774, and Rhoda (Nickerson) Ellis, born September 27, 1777. Children of George Spears: 1. Henry, died March 17, 1901. 2. James. 3. Fred. 4. Frank, died March 27, 1900. 5. George. 6. Addie.
James, son of George Spears, was born in Colton, New York, August 27, 1853. He was educated in the public schools of his native town. He engaged in the drug business at Colton in 1871, and also dealt in lumber and groceries. He was a partner in the firm of Hepburn & Spears. He continued in business until 1887, when he removed to Canton. He owned timber lands in this section and continued in the lumber business in this town. He also has sawmills at Bucks Bridge. The business is carried on by the Bucks Bridge Lumber Company, of which he is the sole owner. He became president of the St. Lawrence County Bank, august 22, 1905, and soon afterward, thorough his efforts, it became a national bank, and the name became the St. Lawrence county National Bank, and he has continued as president of the institution. In politics he is a Republican and was supervisor of the town for two terms. He is a prominent member of the Protestant Episcopal Church, of which he is a warden. He is one of the best known and most successful business men of the town.
Mr. Spears married, (first), December 14, 1882, Nettie Richards, of Canton, New York, daughter of Darius J. and Emily (Phelps) Richards; she died July 31, 1887. He married (second) August 17, 1892, Jessie Ellis, daughter of James W. and Mary (Hampton) Ellis; she died October 21, 1898. He married (third) December
9, 1903, Mamie Rawson, daughter of Julius and Mary E. (Sheldon) Rawson. Child of first wife: Nettie, born November 13, 1880. Children of second wife: 2. Katherine, born August 19, 1894. 3. James, Jr., born November 11, 1896. Child of third wife: 4. Stanley, Born October 28, 1905.
WHITE. The white family in New England was both distinguished and numerous. William White came in the "Mayflower" with his wife Anna or Susanna Fuller, whom he married in Leyden, and a son Resolved. He was one of the leaders of the Pilgrim Company, and a man of education. His name appears as the sixth signer of the historic "Compact." There us still preserved by his descendants the ancient "Breeches Bible" printed in London in 1588,; so called from the covering of fig leaves made by eve after "the fall," being printed "breeches" instead of "apron." Another William White was an early settler of Ipswich in 1653; said to have been born in county Norfolk, England, in 1610. There were many of the name among the early settlers, and being a prolific family soon spread to all of the New England colonies. The branch now resident in Lewis County, New York, of whom we write, descend from the Connecticut family. the first of his line to settle in New York state was Benjamin, of Litchfield, Connecticut. He made settlement at Fairfield, Herkimer County, New York, where he died. He married Sally Franklin, in Connecticut, and had issue.
(II) Harlow, son of Benjamin and Sally (Franklin) White, was born in Litchfield, Connecticut. He was two years of age when his parents removed to Herkimer County, New York. He had a common school education and by occupation was a farmer. He was a Whig in politics until the formation of the Republican Party, when he joined with that organization. He was a lifelong Methodist; his membership in that church covering a period of forty-five years. In 1832 he removed to Leyden, Lewis County, New York. he married, January 12, 1832, Levina, born in Leyden, New York, August 15, 1812, daughter of Parsons and Lois (Whitmore) Talcott. Parsons Talcott was born in Connecticut, 1780; killed by a falling tree in Lewis County, New York, 1840.
(III) Parsons E., son of Harlow and Lavina (Talcott) White was born in Leyden, New York, April 7, 1834. he received a good common school education in his youth, which was but the foundation for years of after study, wide reading and close observation. He remained upon the home farm until 1868, when he purchased what is now known as the "Pleasant Valley" farm, which he cultivated during his active years of labor. He has had other and many outside interests, the character of which display his vigor and versatility. In 1870 he was chosen a director of the Lewis County Agricultural Society, and still holds that office (1910). For nearly thirty years he has been general superintendent, and so efficient a manger is he that his term of office is continued year by year. When the order, Patrons of Husbandry, was founded in Lewis County, he became the first master of Denmark Grange, No. 535, and in December, 1909, resigned the office of deputy for Lewis County, which he had held for nineteen years. The success of this order in Lewis County may be largely attributed to his earnest work and faithful effort as county deputy. In 1870 he became correspondent of The Lowville Journal and Republican, sending in each week the happenings of his neighborhood, with his own pungent criticism; adding from time to time well-written articles on current topics. His record as a correspondent is a most remarkable one. He is still on the staff of that paper, and in all the years from 1870 his copy failed to arrive at the office for publication but five times. For twelve years he was special correspondent for the Boston American Cultivator, and contributed to the columns
of that periodical many timely articles of merit and interest. Politically he is a thoroughly dependable Republican. He never has faltered in his allegiance to his party, and is one of the "wheel horses" of the organization in the country. Through his connection with the Grange, the Agricultural Society, and his long residence in the county he is universally known and most highly esteemed.
He married, at champion, Jefferson county, New York, May 18, 1870, Abbie F., born August 18, 1849, daughter of Lewis and Fanny (Kelner) Campbell, whose children were: 1. Cornelia, born October 6, 1833; married Philip A. Harter. 2. Candace, March 31, 1835; married (first) Rensselaer Van Derzee; (second) Wesley Van Brocklin. 3. George, October 14, 1836, died June 12, 1837. 4. Laurinda, March 15, 1838, died October 20, 1852. 5. Helen, April 23, 1840, died July 2, 1873; married J. W. Van Brocklin, February 10, 1863. 6. Chester E., August 9, 1842, died June 10, 1900. 7. Hiram K., June 18, 1845, died July 24, 1866. 8. Malvina D., July 24, 1847, died August 24, 1850. 9. Abbie F., married Parsons E. White. Child of Parsons E. and Abbie F. (Campbell) white: 10, Eula C., born March 10, 1871; married Wallace B. Hill, of Deer River, New York, June 15, 1897.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.