Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
Locklin was a native of Massachusetts. He married
---------- Newell, and among their children was Isaac, who is mentioned
(II) Isaac (2), son of Isaac (1) Locklin, was born in Massachusetts, was brought up on his father's farm and educated in the common schools. Soon after his marriage he removed to northern New York and settled in the town of Champion, Jefferson County, where he followed farming the rest of his life. He died aged eighty-two years. He married Elizabeth St. John, who died aged seventy years. Children: 1. Susan. 2. Seymour. 3. Volney. 4. Albert W. 5. George W., mentioned below. 6. Caroline. 7. Ellen. 8. Josephia. 9. Mary. 10. Jerome.
(III) George W., son of Isaac (2) Locklin, was born at Champion, in 1833, and was reared on his father's farm there. He attended the district schools. He came to Martinsburg, Lewis County, when a young man, and engaged in the harness business, which for several years he carried on successfully. He then established a general store and conducted it for a period of thirty years at Martinsburg. He was postmaster of that town for more than a quarter of a century. He was a prominent member of the Presbyterian Church, and an elder for many years. In politics he was a Republican, and active and influential in the party councils. He was a representative and public-spirited citizen, among the foremost in every public enterprise and well known throughout the county. He died November 28, 1897.
He married, in 1856, Delia Eveline Ives, born at Turin, Lewis County, New York, in 1833, daughter of Eli and Nancy (Fenton) Ives. Her father was born in Turin, a son of john Ives, who came thither from Meriden Connecticut, and was one of the early settlers of this section. Children of Mr. and Mrs. Locklin: 1. Nellie, who died, aged five years, and two others, who died in infancy.
McILMOYL. John McIlmoyl was born in county Antrim, Ireland, and came to New York, June 17, 1774, the trip taking thirteen weeks. He settled in Ballston springs, New York, now Saratoga. He had a large farm there, which was confiscated during the Revolution, he and his family being Loyalists. They fled to Canada in 1778, and settled at Edwardsburg, on the St. Lawrence River, where he became a farmer. He built a log house, and in 1796 a frame house, which is still standing. He died in Edwardsville. He married Mary Dysart. Children, born in Ireland: 1. Mary. 2. Samuel. 3. Hugh. 4. John. 5. Thomas, mentioned below. 6. Jane.
(II) Thomas, son of John McIlmoyl, was born in Ireland, and came to this country with his father, removing to Canada at the age of eighteen. His brothers all served in the king's army, and he was engaged in secret service for the king during the Revolution. He was a devout Methodist, and his home was the preaching place for the early Methodists and also for the Church of England. Children, born in Edwardsburg: 1. Mary. 2. John, mentioned below. 3. James Dysart.
(III) John (2) McIlmoyl was born in Edwardsburg (now Cardinal, Ontario), in 1810, and died in 1854. He was educated in the public schools and became a farmer. He was a prominent man in the town, a conservative in politics, and an eloquent public speaker. He served as district judge and as coroner. He married three times, his third wife being Eliza Shaver, born in Iroquois, Ontario, in 1824, died 1856. Children: 1. Elizabeth. 2. John. 3. Child, who died in infancy. 4. Henry Allen, born 1854; mentioned below.
(IV) Dr. Henry Allen McIlmoyl, son of John (2) McIlmoyl, was born in Cardinal, Ontario, April 5, 1854. He was educated in the high school at Iroquois and in the medial department of McGill University, graduating in 1876, with the degree of M. D. He began the practice of his profession at Clayton, New York, the same year, remaining there seventeen years. He settled in Ogdensburg in 1893, where he has since remained, and has a lucrative practice. He has a reputation for skill and thorough medical knowledge. He is a member of the St. Lawrence County Medial Society; of the New York State Medical Society; of the American Medical Society; of the Elijah White Lodge, of Odd Fellows, of Ogdensburg. He is a prominent member of the Methodist Church, having served in its various offices. In politics he is a Prohibitionist, and has been a zealous worker in the ranks of that party, being a speaker of considerable note. He has made several public addresses on the subject of Prohibition. He married, June 14, 1876, Sophia, daughter of Gordon Wert, of Iroquois. They have no children.
McCARTER. Joseph McCarter was born in county Down, in the north of Ireland. He married Jane Dickson, of the same county, and settled in Argyle, Washington County, New York, where he carried on a farm. Children: 1. William. 2. Robert. 3. Polly. 4. Joseph. 5. Thomas. 6. John, mentioned below. 7. Jane. 8. Betsey. 9. Ann.
(II) John, son of Joseph McCarter, was born in Argyle, New York, and when a small boy came to Lisbon, New York, with his parents. He was educated there in the pubic schools, and learned the carpenter's trade. He was a Republican in politics and a prominent Methodist, being trustee in the church for many years. He married Rachel, born Washington County, New York, daughter of Samuel and Margaret Qua, of Lisbon. Children: 1. John F., died in infancy. 2. Daughter, died in infancy. 3. Mahala. 4. Albert F. 5. Mary Jane. 6. Georgianna. 7. John Lafayette, born December 11, 1848, mentioned below. 8. James E. 9. Warren.
(III) John Lafayette, son of John McCarter, was born in Lisbon, December 11, 1848. He received his education in the public schools, and learned the carpenter's trade of his father. When a young man he went to Ogdensburg, where he worked two years at his trade, then went to Brockville, Ontario, remaining two years, and in 1874, went to Chicago, Illinois, working at his trade there six years. He then returned to Ogdensburg, remaining there, except for the period of four and a half years spent at Saranac Lake, and followed his trade of cabinet maker and stair builder. At this writing (1910), is employed at the St. Lawrence State Hospital. He is a Republican in politics and a Methodist in religion. He is a member of the White Face Mountain Lodge, No. 789, Free and Accepted Masons, of Saranac Lake; of the Royal Arch Chapter, of Saranac Lake; of DeSota Commandery, Knights Templar, at Plattsburgh, and of Oriental Temple, Order of the Mystic Shrine, of Troy, New York. He married, 1872, Caroline, born November 11, 1851, died November 17, 1905, daughter of David and Eleanor (Lytle) Marshall. Children: 1. Herbert L., born July 21, 1873, mentioned below. 2. Georgianna, December 23, 1876, teacher in New York. 3. Mary E., November 13, 1879, teacher in Yonkers, New York. 4. Ralph Warren, November 30, 1881, conducts a shoe store at Saranac Lake, married Ruth Jones.
(IV) Herbert Lafayette, son of John Lafayette McCarter, was born in Ogdensburg, July 21, 1873. He was educated in the public schools of Ogdensburg and Chicago, and at the age of fifteen learned the jeweler's trade with J. S. Warner, of Ogdensburg, remaining with him four years. In 1892 he went to Burlington, Vermont, working at his trade there a year and a half, and for two and a half years worked in Livonia, New York. In 1896 he went to Salem, Ohio, for a year, from there to Newport, Vermont, for two years, and to Oswego, New York, for a year and a half. In 1898 he returned to Ogdensburg and was employed by John E. Bell, jeweler, for six years. In 1904 he bought the business of his employer, and has since conducted it with a marked degree of success. He is a director in the Business Men's Association of Ogdensburg, and an active Republican. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum, and past chancellor of the Knights of Pythias, of Ogdensburg. He attends the Presbyterian Church, of which both he and his wife are members. He married, May 10, 1903, Mae, born August 21, 1881, daughter of W. E. and Abbie (Blackman) Forrester, of St. Lawrence County. Children: 1. Howard, born July 25, 1905. 2. Caroline, October 15, 1908.
McGOVERN. This family is of Irish ancestry, and the branch to which this narrative relates was established in the United States by Peter McGovern. He was born in county Cavan, Ireland, in 1823, and came to this country when eighteen years of age. He first found employment on the aqueduct near New York city, but after a short time removed to High Market, Lewis County, New York, where he purchased a farm, which he cultivated successfully during the reminder of his life. He was one of the sturdy pioneers in that region who stamped the impress of his strong character upon the town where the most of his years were spent. He was a communicant of the Roman Catholic Church, and in politics was a Democrat. He married (first) Rose Caldwell. Six children, of whom four lived to maturity: 1. Catherine, married John Hanley, of Batavia, New York. 2. James, married Mary Ann Gormley, of Lowville, New York. 3. John, married Ann Claffey, of Chariton, Iowa. 4. Honora, died at the age of fourteen years. 5. Michael, died at the age of eleven years. 6. Mary, died in infancy. Mr. McGovern married (second) Katherine McManus. Children. 7. Margaret, married Michael O'Hara, of Turin, New York. 8. Peter, see forward. 9. Philip, married Eliza Casey; they reside on the old McGovern homestead. 10. Edward, married Annette Collins, of Carthage. 11. Patrick, died in infancy. Mr. McGovern died September 28, 1901; his wife, Katherine, died January 14, 1891.
(II) Peter (2), eldest son of Peter (1) and Katherine (McManus) McGovern, was born in High Market, Lewis County, New York, February 22, 1857. He remained at home, working on the farm and attending the common schools and Lowville Academy until 1875, when, at the age of eighteen years, he came to Lowville, and served an apprenticeship of three years at the blacksmith's trade with Lewis Campbell. This completed, he worked as a journeyman for some time, and June 14, 1882, purchased his employer's shop, which he considerably enlarged and built up an extensive business in the manufacture of wagons, buggies, and sleighs, besides carrying on all descriptions of repairing belonging to the trade. He also carried a large assortment of farm machinery, farmers' supplies, paints, etc. The plant is conveniently located near the business center of the city. The buildings are large and commodious, and afford ample facilities for handling the large volume of business conducted by Mr. McGovern. He has but recently added a garage for the storage and safe keeping of automobiles. This building is large, roomy, and well lighted. His workmen are altogether competent, and the garage is a great convenience to car owners in the city and automobile tourists. In addition to his large individual business affairs, Mr. McGovern finds time to take an active and useful part as a citizen, and has frequently been called upon to serve in positions of honor and trust. He served six years as trustee of the village of Lowville, and four years as town supervisor, being one of the most influential members of the board, serving on some of its most important committees. He is also a member of the board of water commissioners of Lowville, and a trustee of the public schools. He is an active member of St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, and of the Knights of Columbus, in which fraternity he is treasurer and past grand knight. In politics he is a Democrat.
Mr. McGovern married, November 22, 1884, Julia Eveline, born in Martinsburg, New York, September 17, 1863, daughter of Dennis and Ann Grace Dunn. Her father was born in New Jersey, and his father came from county Cork, Ireland, early in the nineteenth century. Children of Peter and Julia E. (Dunn) McGovern: 1. Mae E., born May 4, 1886; educated in State Street School, Lowville Academy, and the Teachers' Training Class, now a teacher in District No. 3, Lowville. 2. Edward Clinton, July 8, 1888; educated at State Street School and Lowville Academy; is now a student in Hamilton College, class of 1912. 3. William Leo, died in infancy. 4. Kathleen, born May 11, 1891; educated in State Street School and Lowville Academy, Teachers' Training Class; now teaching in Leyden, Lewis County. 5. Eulalia, April 19, 1897, a student in the Lowville Academy, being the youngest student in that institution.
MAHONEY. James Mahoney was born in Kineagh, county Cork, Ireland, about 1791, died at Stockholm, New York, in 1866. He came to this country in 1847 and found employment first at Lowell, Massachusetts. Afterward here moved to Stockholm, where he followed farming the remainder of his active life. children: 1. Margaret. 2. Mary Ann, married Barney Lantry, of Helena, New York. 3. Patrick. 4. Timothy, mentioned below. 5. Jeremiah.
(II) Timothy, son of James Mahoney, was born in Kineagh, county Cork, Ireland, in 1826, died in the town of Brasher, New York, in 1907. He received a good education in the national schools of Ireland, andwas about twenty-one years old when he came to this country with his father and the family. He worked in Portland, Maine, for a time, and later in Stockholm, and near Hogansburg, New York. He was a well-to-do farmer, and continued in active business to the time of his death. In politics he was Democrat. He was at one time assessor of the town. He married, in 1851, Ann Lantry, born in the Quaker settlement of the town of Brash, New York, in 1832, now living at Helena, New York. Children: 1. James, deceased, settled in Ohio. 2. Catherine, lived at Helena, New York. 3. Joshua, deceased, lived at Chicago. 4. Nellie, died, aged eleven years. 5. John, lives in Chicago; married Catherine Clifford. 6. Patrick, lives in the old homestead in Brasher, near Hogansburg, New York; married Julia Keenan; children: Ann, James, Helen, Barnaby, Timothy, Catherine, John, Margaret and Marion. 7. Margaret, married John Dawson, of Helena, a farmer; children: Maria, Michael, Timothy, and Catherine. 8. Thomas, lives in Chicago; married Anna Lang; children: William, Mercedes, Helen, and six others, who died young, of the six deceased Joshua lived to be about seven years old. 9. Timothy J., mentioned below. Three others died in infancy.
(III) Rev. Timothy J. Mahoney, son of Timothy Mahoney, was born near Hogansburg, New York, April 9, 1874. He was educated in the public schools of Hogansburg, and Potsdam and at St. Nicholas' College, Belgium (Europe), where he was graduated in 1898. He graduated also at the American College at Louvain and was ordained there the same year in the priesthood of the Roman Catholic Church. He was appointed assistant pastor at Cape Vincent, New York, in 1901. His first pastorate as priest in charge of the St. Andrew's, at Sackett's Harbor, New York, in 1902. In addition to the pastorate he had charge of churches in Adams and Belleville and afterward he built a church at Adams. In July, 1906, he was appointed rector in charge of St. Patrick's Church at Colton, New York, and he had charge also of a mission at South Colton. Sine May 3, 1909, he has been pastor of St. Mary's Church at Brushton, New York.
MOYER. This family is competitively recent in the United states, having been formed by a native of Germany, Frederick Moyer, who married a second wife, the mother of John Moyer. By a first wife he had Elizabeth, Andrew, Anna, Fred and Mary. Frederick Moyer was by occupation a shoe maker, and was a member of the Lutheran Church.
(II) John, son of Frederick Moyer, was born in Germany, February 3, 1842, and came to the United States, settling in northern New York, in Lewis County. He learned papermaking, and engaged with J. W. Ager in the manufacture of paper, under the firm name of Ager & Moyer. Their mill was at Lyonsdale. In 1890 in company with Ward Herst, he built the mill now known as Gould Paper Mill No. 2. on Moose River. He afterward built a mill at Greig, which was twice totally destroyed by fire. In 1887 he built the Port Leyden mill, which he operated until 1889, when he disposed of his interest to Edward Spencer. The same year he rebuilt the Greig mill, which he operated about five years. About this time he bought the property in Lyonsdale, now managed by his son. He was a man of untiring industry and energy. Although seriously crippled by is heavy losses, suffered by the burning of his mills, he met every financial obligation. His integrity was unquestioned, and no man stood higher in the estimation of business associates. He was twice married; by his first marriage there were two children. He married (second), September 2, 1869, Jennie Campbell, born in New Jersey, daughter of John and Isabel (Taylor) Campbell, natives of Scotland, and settled in New Jersey.
(III) John William, only child of John and Jennie (Campbell) Meyer (?), was born in Lyonsdale, September 1, 1873. He was educated at the Boonville and Brownville high schools. After finishing his education he entered the paper mill at Lyonsdale, established by his father. He learned the business thoroughly, and passing through the various grades of service was finally appointed manger of the plant. The mill is thoroughly equipped with the most improved modern machinery used in paper manufacture, and is a well-managed plant. He is a Republican in politics, but does not take an active part. He is an attendant of the Forest Presbyterian Church at Lyons Falls, and a member of the Masonic Order, belonging to Port Leyden Lodge; Lowell Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; and the Commandery at Watertown, New York. He is a thirty-second degree Mason of the Scottish Rite, and a member of the Mystic Shrine. He is also an Odd fellow, of Port Leyden Lodge, No. 849. He married, at Chicago, Illinois, May 12, 1908, Olive E. Mills, born in that city, July 16, 1883, daughter of Edward Franklin Mills, a civil engineer, and his wife Olive (Webster) Mills.
BRUSH. Ichabod Brush was a native of London, England. He came to New York City, and became a lawyer. He married Euphemia Wilkins, who died in Brushton, New York, 1841, daughter of Rev. Isaac Wilkins, a Protestant Episcopal clergyman, native of West Farms, New York, and for fifty years rector at Huntington, Long Island. Her mother Isabella (Morris) Wilkins, was a sister of Gouverneur Morris. Ichabod Brush had one son, Henry Neilson, mentioned below. Lieutenant-Governor Braddish studied law with Ichabod Brush and became executor of Mr. Brush's estate and the guardian of Henry N. Brush, who was but one year old at the death of his father.
(II) Henry Neilson, son of Ichabod Brush, was born in New York City, March 12, 1810, died in 1872 at Brushton, New York. He attended the public schools and graduated from Columbia College in the same class with Hamilton fish and other prominent men. After graduation he traveled abroad quite extensively and visited with and became a close friend of Washington Irving. He settled at Brushton, where he was the owner of a square mile of land purchased from Robert Wats, of New York, and the town was named for him. He was the first postmaster and was instrumental in getting the first railroad built through the town. He was interested not only in agriculture, but in various manufacturing enterprises. He married, December 12, 1831, Juanita De Jeouve, born in Santa Susannah, Cuba, in 1810, died in Brushton, January 22, 1889. She was the daughter of a large coffee planter, who came from Paris, France and who married a South Carolina lady of city of Charleston. Had two children: Henry Corbin, mentioned below, and Emma E., wife of Major C. S. Steele, of Watertown, New York, formerly of New York City.
Henry Neilson Brush and his wife were the founders of St. Peter's Episcopal Church at Brushton, which was erected in 1869, together with a rectory. It was largely through the efforts of Mrs. Brush that the necessary funds were secured. In the chapel there is a memorial tablet erected by their son, Henry Corbin Brush, commemorative of his parents and their good work. It is well to note that this church was the first church consecrated by Bishop Doane after his consecration.
(III) Henry Corbin, son of Henry Neilson Brush, was born in Brushton, New York, in the old house that stood on the present site of the hotel, August 8, 1838, died April 19, 1898. He was educated in the public schools, at Franklin Academy of Malone, at Ballston spa and at Hobart College in Geneva, New York. He was fond of mechanics, and when a young man
learned the trade of machinist in Boston. Though he never worked at the trade, he found his skill and knowledge of constant service and great value in business. He was occupied in the management of his father's real estate interests in Brushton and in his other varied business interests. He owned a large tract of woodland in the north part of the town and a saw and grist mill. He was one of the leading citizens and of large influence in financial and public affairs. He was a Republican. He was clerk of the vestry and warden of the Protestant Episcopal Church for many years. He married (first) in 1873, Jane Pickering. He married (second) January 7, 1886, Florence Cook, of Brushton, New York, born in Bangor, New York, daughter of George Cook, from Vermont, October 22, 1820, died in Brushton, October 16, 1863, and Elvira (Norris) Cook, born in 1828, died February 6, 1892: children: 1. Alice Eugenia. 2. Alida. 3. Florence. 4. Charles Cook. Elvira (Norris) Cook was the daughter of David and Belinda (Norris) Norris, who had children: George, Emory, Elvira, Jane and Julia. Charles Cook, father of George Cook, was born in Vermont, September 30, 1786, settled in the town of Malone, New York, at what was later known as Cook's Corner; married Barbara Stowers, born in 1791, and had Carlos, Edwin, Harriet and George Cook. Children of Henry Corbin and Florence (Cook) Brush: 1. Juanita, born May 1, 1888, died aged five years. 2. Constance, May 14, 1891. 3. Corbin Neilson, August 23, 1894. 4. Edward Wilkins, October 10, 1896. 5. Henry Corbin, December 19, 1898.
MURRAY. Patrick Murray, born in Navan, county Meath, Ireland, in 1823, came to the United States in 1849. He learned the trade of a shoemaker, at which he worked until his emigration. After being a short time in this country, he located at Canton, New York, where he married and reared a family. He followed his trade in Canton, where he resided during his remained of his days. He married Rose Gaynor, born in Louisville, St. Lawrence County, New York, her parents being natives of Ireland and settlers in St. Lawrence County, New York. Children: 1. Clara. 2. Mary. 3. Alice. 4. James G. 5. George L., see forward. 6. Henry. 7. Annie. 8. Richard 9. Margaret. Patrick Murray was a Democrat in politicos and served for several years as village collector. He was a member of the Roman Catholic Church and reared his family in the same faith. He died July 14, 1906. His widow survives him, living at the present time (1909).
(II) Rev. George L., son of Patrick and Rose (Gaynor) Murray, was born in Canton, New York, March 21, 1869. He was educated in the public schools, prepared for college and was graduated from St. Lawrence University, class of 1890. He prepared for the priesthood at the Grand Theological Seminary at Montreal, Canada, and completed his theological studies at the College of the Propaganda at Rome, Italy. He was ordained priest, July 26, 1896, and began his active ministerial labors as assistant at Ticonderoga, New York; he was then assistant at St. Mary's Cathedral, Ogdensburg, New York, until September 1, 1902. For the ensuing six years he was pastor of the Church at Copenhagen, Lewis County, New York. In September, 1908, he was assigned to the Roman Catholic Church at Lowville, where is now (1909) in charge. He is a faithful pastor and loyal to those committed to his spiritual care.
O'BRIEN. Patrick O'Brien, progenitor of this branch of the family, was a native of Cork, Ireland, born 1829. He emigrated to the United States when a young man, and during his residence in this country proved himself a worthy citizen, fulfilling the duties required of him ina commendable manner. He located in Boonville, New York, and there passed his days, his death occurring there in 1881. He married Julia Slatterby, born in Cork, Ireland, died at St. Elizabeth's Hospital, Utica, New York, 1907. Among their children was William.
(II) William, son of Patrick and Julia (Slatterby) O'Brien, was born at Boonville, New York, January 18, 1858, died September 1, 1893. He followed the occupation of farming, purchasing a farm in the town of Boonville, which he managed successfully for many years. He was progressive and enterprising, and by the exercise of prudence and thrift accumulated a competence for his declining years, in addition to caring for his family in a comfortable manner. He was respected by all who knew him, and his influence for good was felt in the community. He married, at Boonville, New York, November 29, 1880, Anna Kelly, born in Leyden, New York, October 18, 1858. Children: 1. James P., of whom further. 2. John E., born April 17, 1884. 3. Elizabeth, November 25, 1885. 4. Robert William, February 10, 1888. 5. Grace, April 27, 1890. 6. Mary Ellen, born October 28, 1892.
(III) James P., eldest son of William and Anna (Kelly) O'Brien, was born at Boonville, New York, March 27, 1882. He obtained a practical education in the common schools and after completing his studies, being inured to farm labor, turned his attention to that line of work, which proved highly remunerative. He was the owner of a productive farm located near Denby Station, in the town of Lyonsdale. He makes a specialty of dairying, having on his farm a fine herd of cows from which he derives a goodly income, and in addition raises colts for the market. He gives his farm his personal attention, which is evidenced by the neat and trim appearance of everything pertaining to his property, and has made a success of his chosen work. He is a Democrat in politics, strong in his convictions, popular with his party, and is regarded as one of the influential men of his town. He was elected assessor of Lyonsdale in 1907, and again in 1909, and has held other minor town offices, in all of which he displayed ability and the utmost conscientiousness. He is public-spirited and everything that pertains to the welfare and advancement of his section receives from him a hearty support. He is of a genial disposition, and enjoys the acquaintance of a wide circle of friends.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.