Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
surname Crosby is of very ancient English origin. It is derived from two
English words, cross and by (bury, burgh or borough), meaning the town
of the cross, and had been in use from the time when surnames were first
adopted in England. In the time of Richard III one of the name occupied
Crosby House in London, and that city still has a street by the name. It
is also embalmed in no less than eight places in England, namely:
Crosby-upon-Eden, near Carlisle, in Cumberlandshire; with the villages
of High and Low Crosby; another village in the western division of
Cumberland; Crosby-Garrett and Crosby-Ravensworth, in Westmoreland; a
village in the North Riding of Yorkshire; a village in Lincolnshire; and
Great Crosby and Little Crosby, suburbs of Liverpool. In 1204 Ode de
Crossby was constable of Tikehall in Yorkshire, and as early as 1220 we
find Simon de Crossby in Lancashire, where he was a landholder. The name
Simon has continued in frequent use among his descendants to the present
day, and he was undoubtedly the progenitor of the American family.
Several settlers named Crosby came to New England early enough to be
classed among the pioneers, and from them sprang a hardy race of
frontiersmen who were industrious workers in peace and hard fighters in
the wars with French and Indians. Still later generations of Crosbys
have been foremost in business and professional life, in philanthropic
endeavor, and every worthy line of effort. The name has been especially
prominent in the medical profession, and has been closely associated
with institutions of learning, notably Harvard and Dartmouth. Having
first been used a place-name, it was easily adopted as a surname by
one coming from the "crosstown" or "town built by the
(I) Simon Crosby, perhaps a brother of Thomas of Cambridge and Rowley, embarked from England in the ship "Susan and Ellen", April 13, 1635, being then twenty-six years old, with his wife Ann aged twenty-five, and infant son Thomas, eight weeks old. He settled in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where he was a husbandman and was a proprietor as early as February 8, 1636. He was admitted a freemen in that year, and served as selectman in 1636 and 1638. He had several grants of land, and his estate, later known as the "Brattle place," passed into the hands of Rev. William Brattle, his residence being at what is now the corner of Brattle Street and Brattle Square. He died in September, 1639, at the early age of thirty-one years, leaving sons, Thomas, born in England; Simon, born in 1637, in Cambridge; and Joseph, 1639, at the same place. The widow married, in 1646, Rev. William Thompson, minister at Braintree, and became the second time a widow at his death, December 10, 1666. She died October 8, 1676.
(II) Thomas, eldest son of Simon and Ann Crossly, was prepared for college by his step-father, William. He was born in England, probably in march, 1635, and was reared in Braintree. He graduated from Harvard College in 1653, and was minister of the church at Eastham, Massachusetts, from 1655 to 1670. He subsequently engaged in business, became a successful man of affairs, and died in Boston, June 13, 1702. Nearly all of the name in southeastern Massachusetts are his descendants. His wife's baptismal name was Sarah, and they had children: 1. Thomas, born April 7, 1663. 2. Simon, July 5, 1665. 3. Sarah, March 24, 1667. 4. Joseph, January 27, 1669. 5. & 6. John and a twin who died at birth, February 11, 1671. 7. William, March, 1673. 8. Ebenezer, March 28, 1675. 9., 10. & 11. Anne, Mercy and Increase (triplets), April 14-15, 1678. 12. Eleazer, mentioned below.
(III) Eleazer, youngest child of Thomas and Sarah Crosby, was born March 30, 1680. He resided in Harwich, Massachusetts, and his death occurred after October 23, 1759, which is the date affixed to his will. October 24, 1706, he married Patience, daughter of John, Jr. and Sarah (Merrick) Freeman. Children: 1. Kezia, born May 6, 1708. 2. Rebecca, May 12, 1709, married Ebenezer Hopkins. 3. Eleazer, January 5, 1710-11. 4. Silvanus, November 15, 1712. 5. Phebe, December 18, 1714, married a Clark. 6. Sarah, December 8, 1716, died July 31, 1724. 7. Isaac, October 18, 1719. 8. Mary, November 28, 1722. 9. Sarah, March 18, 1725-26, married a Yates. 10. Patience, October 29, 1728, married Paine. 11. Eunice, died January 29, 17321-32. Mrs. Patience Crosby died January 28, 1731-32. The will of Eleazer Crosby, previously referred to as having been made October 23, 1759, discloses the fact that he married again; that the baptismal name of his second wife was Esther, and that she bore him one son, Prince. In this document he mentions all of the above named children except Mary and Eunice, who were then dead.
(IV) Captain prince, only son of Eleazer and Esther Crosby, was probably born in Harwich, but a careful research of all available records relating to this family fails to reveal the date of his birth. Like most of the young men of Cape Cod, he adopted a seafaring lie, and, becoming a master mariner, commanded a merchant vessel plying between Massachusetts and Cuba. His death occurred during one of his voyages and he was buried at sea. Information at hand states that Captain Prince Crosby married a beautiful Spanish lady, who after her husband's death went to reside in New Hampshire, and that they had a son, Jeremiah. The latter was the first of this branch of the Crosby family to settle in Lewis county, New York.
(V) Jeremiah, son of Captain Prince Crosby, was born in New England, was reared in New Hampshire, whence he removed, in 1800, to Lewis County, New York, where his son was born.
(VI) Hopkins, son of Jeremiah Crosby, was born in Lewis County, New York, and there became a successful farmer. He married Mary Porter, of the same vicinity, whose parents also came from New England. Some years after marriage Mr. Crosby's health began to fail, and he sought a change of climate. With his wife and four small children he proceeded to Tioga County, Pennsylvania, where he began farming on a small scale. The change greatly benefited his health, and by industry and self-denial he was able to add to his holdings and achieved success in life.
(VII) Dr. Alexander H., eldest son of Hopkins and Mary (Porter) Crosby, was born October 18, 1836, in Martinsburg,
Lewis County, New York. He was reared on his father's farm, and his early education was obtained mainly at home and by his own efforts. There were few educational advantages in the neighborhood where he lived, but he had a natural taste for learning, and make the most of his opportunities. He was a wide-awake, ambitious youth, and became a desirous of studying for the medial profession. This was a brave undertaking, and attended with many difficulties; during most of the time while he was studying medicine he added to his meager finances by beginning, at the age of sixteen years, teaching school. Alexander Crosby was sent first by his parents to a private school near home, and afterwards attended school at Wallsboro, Pennsylvania, one year; two years at Mansfield Seminary, and the academy at Lowville, New York. Afterwards he spent some time in the office of his uncle, Dr. Lyman Buckley, of Oswego County, New York, and later in the office of Dr. James T. Peden, an eminent physician and surgeon of Martinsburg, Lewis County. Later he took a course of medical lectures at Albany Medical College, and received a license for the practice of medicine. He began his practice in January, 1862, in Martinsburg, New York, the country seat of Lewis County, and in March, 1867, he removed to Lowville, which then became the county seat. Dr. Crosby built up a large practice, and won the confidence and esteem of the entire community. He took a high place in his profession, and became well known through his testimony in many murder trails, where his word was taken as conclusive in many contested opinions as to the cause of death n the various cases. The first case of note in which Dr. Crosby testimony was one concerning the murder of a man who was subject to epileptic fits, and, although the defending lawyer contended that his death was the result of epilepsy, there being no fracture of the skull or blood vessels broken Dr. Crosby proved to the satisfaction of judge and jury that he met death as the result of the blows dealt him on the head.
Dr. Crosby always keeps abreast of the times, and made a careful study of new discoveries and theories advanced in his profession. His skill in surgery was many times called into use, and he won a reputation throughout the northern part of the state for his knowledge and achievements. He is a man of strong character and inflexible will, and is pre-eminently a self-made man. Dr. Crosby has for many years belonged to the County Medical Society, in which he has held all the offices, and has served several times as delegate to the State Medical Society. He takes a keen interest in public affairs, and espouse the cause of the Democratic Party. In 1875 he was elected to the state assembly. During 1877-78 Dr. Crosby represented the second congressional district in the state central and executive committee, and n 881 he was again chairman of the county committee. He used his influence for the lowering of tolls and all other measures he considered for the best interests of his constituents. As a member of the committee of public health, he worked for the suppression of certain manufactures, and labored hard toward the passage of a bill regulating the location of these obnoxious factories in New York City. In 1879 he again received the nomination of his party for a seat in the assembly, and although defeated he ran several hundred votes ahead of his ticket. He is a member of Trinity Episcopal Church of Lowville, and for many years served as vestryman. He is a liberal supporter of religious and charitable institution, and interested in the welfare of the poor. In 1880 upon the appearance of diphtheria, in the town of Greig Dr. Crosby investigated the cause, which was purely a local one, and this was the fact that many of the poorer class of people in the town were eating diseased potatoes. This action was greatly appreciated by the authorities, and gained him considerable prestige among his fellow doctors. He
was appointed by the state board of charities as a member of the visiting committee for Lewis County, and in this position he died much to better the condition of the inmates of public institution and the securing of more comfort for these unfortunates.
Dr. Crosby married, February 23, 1864, Addie M., daughter of Nathan Macoy, of Martinsburg. Mrs. Crosby died March 16, 1907, and Dr. Crosby married (second) November 24, 1908, Grace, daughter of Franklin B. Rugg, of Lowville.
STODDARD. Various conjectures have been promulgated regarding the origin of this name. One which is evidently quite mythical relates that there was a William Stoddard, knight, cousin of William the Conqueror, who came from Normandy, England, in 1066. As the cousins of William the conqueror are pretty well accounted for his idea should received but little weight. There may be some color to the theory that the name arose from the occupation of its bearer, who was the standard bearer, and was called de la Standard (of the Standard), which could be easily modified, as is practically every English name into the present form. It is found with a great variety of spellings in the English and early New England records, such as Stodder, Stodart, Stoddert, Stodherd, Stothers, Stodhart and Stodhard. The name is undoubtedly of northern origin and is well represented in the Scottish Lowlands. In that section of the world stot is a word used for ox, and the stotherd was one who cared for the oxen, just as the shepherd cares for the sheep. For some generations there was a rather prominent family of this name in London, England. Several were very early in New England, Anthony Stoddard being found in Boston, about 1630, and three John Stoddards in various sections, one at New London, and another at Wethersfield. Though there can be little doubt the immigrant ancestor of this family was related to the others, no evidence appears to establish the fact.
(I) Ralph Stoddard, born about 1666, probably in England, lived for a short time in Boston, Massachusetts, whence he removed to Groton, Connecticut, where he died December 17, 1753, at the age of eighty-seven years. In 1895 he purchased the south grant of the John Gadger lands in the northern part of Groton, in the vicinity of Gale's Ferry, the present town of Ledyard. In Groton continued to be a part of the town of New London until 1705. In the 1872 the site of his settlement was still in the possession of a descendant in the neighborhood and was known as Stoddard's Landing. Groton continued to be a part of the town of New London until 1705. In the vicinity of Ralph Stoddard were Robert and Thomas Stoddard; one being in the neighborhood of Norwich and the other at what is now New London, and the records of business transactions shows them to have been mutually interested but there is no evidence that they were related. He married, about 1696, Mary Ames, of Boston, born 1664, died February 3, 1728, aged sixty-four years, and was the first person buried in the old cemetery at Gale's Ferry. Children: !. Ralph, mentioned below. 2. Mark, born February 14, 1702. 3. Mary, July 20, 1705. There were perhaps others, but these are all shown by the records.
(II) Ralph (2), eldest child of Ralph (1) and Mary Stoddard, was born May 31, 1697, in Groton, and died there as the result of sunstroke, august 24, 1744. He was a farmer, residing all his life in Groton. He married, January 3, 1722, Hannah Lester, born 1681, daughter of Andrew and Lydia (Bayley) Lester, formerly of Gloucester, Massachusetts. After his death she married a Williams. Children: 1. Ralph, mentioned below. 2. Mark, born May 1, 1725. 3. Hannah, May 4, 1727. 4. Wait, July 14, 1729. 5. Jonathan, October 9, 1731. 6. Mary, December 12, 1733. 7. Eunice, March 9, 1736. 8. Priscilla, March 12, 1738. 9. Esther, May 1, 1741. 10. Elkanah, August 5, 1743.
(III) Ralph (3), eldest child of Ralph (2) and Hannah (Lester) Stoddard, was born July 30, 1723, in Groton, where he was a farmer and passed most of his life. He was commander of a company in Colonel Beebe's Regiment of a company in Colonel Beebe's regiment of the Revolutionary Army, charged September 8, 1776, and was discharged November 17 of the same year. His son Ralph was a sergeant and his son Vine an ensign in his company. He married, April 3, 1746, Susanna Elderkin, widow of Isaac Avery. Children: 1. Vine, born February 27, 1749. 2. Ralph, mentioned below. 3. Elisha, all born in Groton. There may have been others. In 1781 vine Stoddard was an ensign in the provisional regiment in Groton.
(IV) Ralph (4), son of Ralph (3) and Susanna (Avery) Stoddard, was born in Groton, Connecticut, February 4, 1751, died February 4, 1831, in Harrisburg, Lewis County, New York. About 1794 he removed to Westfield, Massachusetts, where he lived a few years, and in 1803 emigrated to New York. The "Black River Country" in the state of new York was opened up to settlement about 1796, and in 1797 Leyden was settled; a few settlers came to Lowville, June 2, 1797. Several went to this new country from Westfield at this time and also at the beginning of the new century. Ralph Stoddard lived to se the unbroken wilderness cleared and well settled. He married Charlotte, daughter of Samuel Newton, and they had sons George A. and Wait S. T.
(V) George A., son of Ralph (4) and Charlotte (Newton) Stoddard, was born May 4, 1772, in Groton, Connecticut, died June 11, 1844. He was the seventh settler of Harrisburg, New York, and one of the earliest of Lewis County, removing there from Westfield, Massachusetts, where he had spent some years. He married, October 28, 1793, Temperance Allen, who was born in April, 1772, and they cleared and proved their title to a large farm near Harrisburg, New York, where they reared a large family. The two eldest of their children died in infancy; the others were: 3. Lydia, born May 17, 1798, in Westfield, Massachusetts, died November 25,. 1847; married June 8, 1828, William O. Lasher. 4. Cynthia, born October 7, 1800, in Westfield, Massachusetts; married March 16, 1820, William Thompson. 5. Maria, born May 14, 1802, married Amasa Dodge, Jr., June 30, 1823. 6. Anson, born October 26, 1804, died in August, 1828. 7. Polly, born October 10, 1906; married Henry Humphrey, June 23, 1828. 8. Charles S., born March 23, 1809. 9. Loren A., born February 16, 1811, married Clarissa Dewey, February 19, 1835. 10. Mabel S., born March 16, 1813, married Avery Root, November 14, 1853.
(VI) Charles S. son of George A. and Temperance (Allen) Stoddard, was born March 23, 1809, in Harrisburg, New York and died in 1888. He received his education in the local public schools, and engaged in f arming, purchasing a farm near his father, located at Lowville. He was very successful, and retired in 1865 from active life, spending the remainder of his life in the village of Lowville. He had about six hundred acres of land, which he put into good condition, and here carried on dairying extensively. Charles S. Stoddard married Nancy, daughter of Micah Humphrey; children: 1. Cornelia, born July 4, 1833; married, December 3, 1853. 2. J. Goodrich Scott. 3. & 4. George A. and Amasa S., twins, born November 27, 1855. 5. Mabel E., born December 4, 1838, died August 23, 1853. 6. Susan M., born July 20, 1841, died June 20, 1844. 7. Morgan A. 8. Susan M., born October 25, 1847, died April 2, 1867. 9. Delphine N., born April 1, 1852; married Warren L. Scott. George A. Stoddard married Elizabeth Livingston. Further mention is made of Morgan A.
(VII) Amasa S., son of Charles S. Stoddard, was born at Lowville, New York, November 27, 1835, died June 22, 1910. He attended the public schools and Lowville Academy, and worked on his father's farm until he attained his majority. He then spent four years as clerk ina dry goods store in Lowville, and remained until his marriage. He and his wife spent six years on a farm, and the Mr. Stoddard sold out and settled in Lowville, where, in company with George J. Mager, he opened a dry goods store, April 1, 1867, in the building at the corner of State and Dayan Streets, where they carried on business under the name of Stoddard & Mager. They were associated in business fourteen years, at the end of which time they sold out and Mr. Stoddard retired. After six years of inactivity Mr. Stoddard became dissatisfied, and in 1888, in company with Russell E. Bateman, again engaged in mercantile business under the firm name of Stoddard & Bateman, and became one of the leading dry goods firms in Lowville. Both being men of business enterprise and integrity, they were looked upon as leading citizens. Politically Mr. Stoddard was a Republican, and served four years as president of the village, also three years as trustee. January 18, 1879, he became treasurer of the Lowville Academy and served as such until his death. Besides his dry goods business Mr. Stoddard had other financial interests; he was director and treasurer of the Asbestos Burial Casket Company, of which he was one of the largest stockholder; director of the Lowville & Beaver River Railroad Company; president of the Rural Cemetery Association, and interested in other investments. Mr. Stoddard was an active member of the Baptist Church of Lowville, and for more than twenty-seven years was a member of the choir. He was well known and highly respected in the community, where the family has been represented more than a century. He was actively interested in public affairs, and gave his hearty endorsement to any cause or object worthy of it. Mr. Stoddard married, January 22, 1861, Julia A., daughter of Samuel and Ada (Mason) Smith, who settled in Lee, Oneida County, New York, about 1849; she was born in Cheshire, Massachusetts, August 22, 1839, and died August 22, 1906. To this union was born one son, Frank S., July 29, 1862. He received his education at Lowville Academy, in his native town, and Colgate Academy, of Hamilton, New York. He has had charge of the office and clerical work of the Asbestos Burial Casket Company for upwards of twenty years, and is a director and assistant treasurer of the company. He is also a member of the choir of the Baptist Church. He married, December 27, 1894, Belle Nanson Sousley, of Nebraska City, Nebraska, daughter of Captain Jesse Robert and Martha (Cheatham) Sousley.
(VII) Moran Allen, third and youngest son of Charles S. Stoddard, was born April 11, 1844, in Lowville, New York. He was reared on a farm, attended the public schools, and afterward took a course at Lowville Academy. He spent sometime working in the store of W. H. Greeley, and for five and half years was clerk in the employ of Stoddard & Mager. He was employed ten years as railway mail clerk on the Black River Railroad between Watertown and Utica, and January 1, 1883, he purchased a hardware establishment in Lowville, which he has since carried on with success. Mr. Stoddard has paid close attention to his business interests, and has won success by his energy and thrift. He is one of the foremost merchants and most influential men of Lowville, where he is held in high esteem. He is interested in the public welfare and progress, and in political views is independent. He attends the Presbyterian Church, and is a prominent member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, being affiliated with Lowville Lodge, No. 134, Lowville Chapter, No. 223, R. A. M., Watertown Commandery, No. 11, K. T., Watertown Lodge of Perfection, P. of J., Central City, Chapter, R. C., Central Consistory, S. P. R. S., and Media Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. Mr. Stoddard married, March 1, 1881, Anna M. Porter.
(V) Wait S. T., son of Ralph (4) (q.v.) and Charlotte (Newton) Stoddard, was born in New London, Connecticut, January 14, 1781, died March 14, 1866. When he was thirteen years of age his father removed his family to Westfield, Massachusetts, and here he spent his remaining years of minority on the farm. In 1802 he removed to Lewis County, New York, where he settled on a tract of heavily timbered land, the timber being subsequently removed, and the land brought under cultivation. The farm laid within the borders of the town of Harrisburg, which town Mr. Stoddard served in various public capacities. During the War of 1812 with Great Britain he enlisted and served in the United States Army. He always supported the candidates of the Whig party until the formation of the Republican Party, when he transferred his allegiance to that young organization that was destined to govern the nation almost uninterruptedly for the following half century. In religious conviction he was a Baptist. He married, in 1809, Rosamond Bates, born in Massachusetts, daughter of William and Sarah (Snow) Bates. Children: 1. Harvey N. 2. Jane. 3. Elvira. 4. Pamelia. 5. Addison. 6. Ralph E. 7. Adeline. 8. Newton, see forward. 9. Theodocia.
(VI) Newton, eighth child of Wait S. T. and Rosamond (Bates) Stoddard, was born at the homestead in Harrisburg, Lewis County, New York, January 31, 1831, died February 7, 1891. He was reared on the farm and educated in the public schools of the town. He remained on the farm until he arrived at his majority, when he began life for himself. He purchased a farm in the near vicinity and engaged in agriculture all his active days. He was eminently successful in all his undertakings and accumulated a large estate. He was a charter member of Harrisburg Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, and firmly believed and supported that organization, through which he believed much good could be accomplished ina farming community. He married, December 28, 1838, Sylvia E. Allen, born in Denmark, New York, October 29, 1838, died October 7, 1874, daughter of William Avery and Azenath (Whiting) Allen. Children: 1. Nettie s., born May 11, 1867, died August 14, 1891. 2. May Elizabeth, July 13, 1868; married, February 6, 1901, Timothy J. O'Connor. 3. Wait J., see forward.
(VII) Wait J., youngest child of Newton and Sylvia E. (Allen) Stoddard, was born at Harrisburg, New York, October 7, 1870. He was educated in the public schools, and remained on the farm, to the ownership of which he succeeded. He is one of the largest and most successful dairy farmers of the section, owning and operating two find farms and maintaining a dairy of sixty-five choice cows, and has numerous interests outside his farms. He is a Republican in politics, and served the town of Harrisburg as assessor our years. In 1902 he removed to the village of Lowville, and since residing there served the town in the same official capacity for six years. He is a member of Lowville Lodge, No. 134, Free and Accepted Masons' Lowville chapter, No. 223, Royal Arch Masons; and a charter member of Harrisburg Grange, Patrons of Husbandry. He married, February 6, 1894, Alva A. Roberts, born in Lewis County, New York, October 23, 1872, daughter of Henry L. and Marion (Stoddard) Roberts. Children; 1. Sylvia, born December 13, 1895. 2. A son who died in infancy.
STRONG. The surname Strong or Stronge is a corruption for Straunge or Storange, branches of which family were at an early period seated I various counties in England. In the Calendar Inquisition Post Mortem we find Hugo Straunge (Henry V.) having estates near York. Baldewin Straunge was in the county of Stafford in the time of Henry VI, and Johannes Straunge was armiger in the counties of
Norfolk and Suffolk in the fifteenth year of the same reign. Gage's History of Suffolk contains an account of John Straunge bequeathing certain lands in that county a century earlier, 1378. The will of Johannes Strange, of Coventry bears date 1522. Nether Stronge in Somersetshire seems to have been the cunabilia gentis", the name occurring frequently in the records of that and adjoining counties after this date. Rev. Dr. Strong, rector of More Critchfield, in Dorsetshire, afterwards a famous preacher at Westminster Abbey, buried there July 4, 1654, was probably of the Nether Stronge family. Melancthon Strong, of the Nether Stronge family, was living in 1659, and had two daughters, Mary Gosfroth, and Elizabeth, born 1687, married Samuel Sandeforth, and had Anne, who married, April 12, 1742, Robert Streatfield. His son, Melancthon Stronge, who according to an entry in the books of the Haberdashers Company for 1694 was apprenticed for several years to a London tradesman, subsequently settled in Garrott, near Waudsworth, county surrey, and died March 28, 1750. Melancthon Stronge, born 1706, married Eleanor Sanders, daughter of Thomas of Hockwood, in Charlwood, of the ancient family of Sanders of Sandersfield: children: 1. Melancthon, died young. 2. Thomas. 3. Clement Samuel, married Ann Streetfield, and resided at Sedgefield near Durham. Thomas, second son of Melancthon, was born November, 1733, married 1764, Sophia, daughter and sole heir of Robert Alsop, of Great Marlboro Street, lord mayor of London, 1752, and sheriff 1747, the year in which Lords Lovatt and Radcliffe, the titular Earl of Derwntwater, were beheaded. This family intermarried with that of Sir Francis Drake. The old coat-of-arms of the family is described: Gules an eagle displayed or. Crest: An eagle displayed or. A prominent branch of the family resided in Dublin and county Armagh, Ireland.
(I) Thomas Strong, immigrant ancestor of this family in America, was born in England, probably in or near London, whence he came to New York early in the nineteenth century. He married Maria, daughter of Henry and Ann (Ogden) Peers. It is family tradition that he left home on account of a family disagreement over the distribution of his father's estate. He settled about 1790 on a farm near what is now Central Park, New York City, where he passed the rest of his life. He was a man of good repute. He died in 1827. Children: 1. John, born January 2, 1821, mentioned below. 2. Rev. James, D. D., LL. D., born 1823; a Methodist Episcopal clergyman of Drew Theological Seminary, Madison New Jersey, died at Flatbush, Long Island, was engaged several years in editing the Bible Cyclopedia, in association with Rev. Dr. McClintock of New York; he wrote to the compiled of the very exhaustive Strong Genealogy that his father died when he was four years old, and that there had been no communication maintained with his father's relatives in England, so that he knew of no way of tracing his ancestry. Thomas Strong had brothers John and James in England.
(II) John, son of Thomas Strong, was born in New York City, January 2, 1821. He was educated in Fitch's Academy, Bloomingdale, New York, near which he lived until seventeen years old. He settled in Turin, Lewis County, New York, in 1838, and followed farming all his life. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, twenty-five years. In politics he was a Republican, and held various public offices. He was for some years assessor and selectman of the town of Turin. He lived a quiet, well-ordered life, characterized by great industry, firm integrity and honor, and much common sense and ability. He owned real estate in New York City, and acquired a comfortable competence. He married (first) June 22, 1841, Elizabeth, daughter of Rev. Sylvester Foster, of Turin. She was born at Islip, Long Island, august 16, 1823, and died February 14, 1869. He
married (second) September 29, 1869, Mary E. House, born in Houseville, New York, March 5, 1836. (See House). Children of first wife: 1. Amelia, born July 23, 1842, married, June 14, 1865, Dr. Robert D. Rhodes, of Marcellus, New York. 2. Francis Dewey, September 4, 1844; died November 27, 1872; married, February 2, 1867, George Gary Bush, teacher, Montpelier, Vermont. 3. John Henry, October 29, 1846, married Lamoine Whittaker, October 30, 1869. 4. Elizabeth foster, April 2, 1850; died June 12, 1861. 5. Maria Abigail, April 9, 1852; married, November 28, 1878, Levi N. Mogg. 6. Sylvester Foster, September 6, 1855. Only child of second wife; 7. Louis Thomas, April 20, 1875. He married (third) February 3, 1891; Lucy A., daughter of Carroll and Fannie House.
(III) Louis Thomas, son of John Strong, was born at Turin, New York, April 20, 1875. He attended the district schools, the Turin Union School and the Cazenovia Seminary. He was engaged in the retail grocery business in his native town six years, and for one year bookkeeper for the Black River Telephone Company at Lowville. After three more years as bookkeeper for the Turin Canning and Pickling Company of Turin, he engaged in his present occupation as a farmer. He has a large and well-tilled farm about a mile from Turin village, on which he resides. In politics he is a Republican. He was assessor of the town of Turin four years, and is now county superintendent of poor for Lewis County, elected November 3, 1908. He is active and influential in his party and in town and county affairs, and is one of the best known of the younger men in public life in Lewis County. Of attractive personality and kindly manner, he counts among his friends men of all political parties and of every class. He is a prominent Free mason, a member of Turin Lodge, No. 184, of which he was for two years junior warden and is now serving his second term as senior warden. He and his family attend the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the Lowville Club. He married, May 1, 1895, at Elmira, New York, Cora Jessie Atwood, born in Herrickville, Bradford County, Pennsylvania, May 1, 1874, daughter of George Charles Atwood and Henrietta (Taylor) Atwood. Her father was a farmer and merchant. Children of Mr. and Mrs. Strong: 1. James Louis, born July 18, 1896. 2. Mary Kathleen, December 21, 1897. 3. Carol Georgiana, January 25, 1899. .4. Marjorie, November 3, 1902.
(The House Line).
Walter House, first of this surname in Connecticut, died in 1670, at New London, leaving a widow and son John, of whom we know nothing further.
(I) William House, perhaps a relative of Walter House, settled in Glastonbury, Connecticut. He died in 1703-04. His will was dated February, 1703-04 at Glastonbury. The inventory amounted to one hundred thirteen shillings taken by Joseph smith and Thomas Hale, Sr. In the settlement of the estate the ages of his children are given (Page 83, Vol. ii, Hartford County Probate records). Children: 1. John, born 1674, married, May 8, 1903, Eunice fox; died 1711, will dated January 23, 17--; widow Eunice and brother Joseph, administrators; children: Eunice, aged eight; Sarah, seven; John, seven; Silence, one year; widow married a Keeney. 2. Sarah, born 1678, married Joseph smith. 3. Mary, 1678; married -------------- Hall. 4. Anne, 1684. 5. William, 1685; married, December 1, 1709, Hannah, daughter of John and Hannah (Williams) Loveland; children, born at Glastonbury: Hannah, July 19, 1711; William, September 9, 1713; Benoni, September 20, 1715. 6. Joseph, mentioned below. 7. Eunice (not mentioned in estate) married Thomas Loveland.
(II) Joseph, son of William House, was born at Glastonbury, in 1687. He was administrator of his brother's estate. He married Rachel Pitkin, born December 14, 1692. (See will of Roger Pitkin, her father, January 1, 1733, p. 620, Hartford Probate Records III).
(III) Joseph (2), son of Joseph (1) House.
(IV) Eleazer, son or nephew of Joseph (2) house, was born September 230, 1759. He was a soldier in the Revolution from July 12 to December 18, 1777, in Captain John Ripley's company (Tenth), Colonel Jedediah Huntington; sergeant in Captain Fitch Bissell's company, Colonel Huntington's regiment, and reported missing after the battle of Long Island; in 1776 he was in Captain Ebenezer Fitch's company, Colonel Huntington's (Seventeeth) Regiment. (Page 27 vol. viii, Conn. Hist. Society). The other Revolutionary soldiers of this family were Benjamin, Benoni, Jonathan, Samuel, and William. In 1790, Elijah, George, Elizabeth, John, Benjamin and Samuel were living heads of families in Glastonbury, also Eleazer, who had in his family two sons under sixteen and two females. He married, Abigail Moseley, born at Glastonbury, January 17, 1763.
(V) Joseph (3), son of Eleazer House, was born at Glastonbury, April 4, 1796; married, at Housevillle, November 10, 1818, Amanda Cadwell, born at West Hartford, Connecticut, December 27, 1797. Their daughter, Mary e., born at Houseville, March 5, 1836, married John Strong. (See Strong).
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.