Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
|REED. Samuel Reed was
born at Bridgeport, Connecticut, October 31, 1804, and died February 24,
1890. He removed to Lewis County, New York, in 1825, and settled in the
township of Lowville, where he worked at his trade as hatter for a
period of thirty years. Then he bought a farm, and during the remainder
of his active life he was a farmer at Lowville. He was a Democrat, and a
Free Mason. He married, at Lowville, Nancy Bowman, born May 20, 1809,
died December 12, 1885. Children: 1. John H., born July 20, 1833, died
February 20, 1902. 2. Albertus M., July 17, 1831, died December 12,
1901. 3. Willard V., mentioned below. 4. Garrett B., July 14, 1838, died
August 7, 1902. 5. Francis H., born September 20, 1840. 6. Morain L.,
April 12, 1845. 7. Morinda, twin with Morain L., died February 8, 1908.
9. Squire, born August 5, 1847, died September 12, 1865.
(II) Willard V., son of Samuel Reed, was born at Lowville, April 22, 1836. He was educated in the public schools of his native town, and after leaving school learned the trade of painter and decorator. He has followed this trade as journeyman and master painter all his life in his native town, and has a reputation of the first order for skillful and thorough work. A genial, courteous gentleman, he has the esteem of the entire community and the friendship of all who know him. His home is pleasantly located on one of the principal streets, and he and his family are prominent in the social life of the village. In politics he is a Democrat of the old-fashioned order. He married, November 24, 1804, Harriet L. Arthur, daughter of Joel and Mary (Webb) Arthur, granddaughter of Elisha and Martha (Moore) Arthur (see Arthur). Joel Arthur died May 12, 1861; Mary Webb Arthur died November 23, 1849; she was daughter of Joseph and Lydia Ann (Benjamin) Webb. Joseph Webb was a soldier in the War of 1812, and his service was patriotic and honorable. Children of Mr. and Mrs. Reed: 1. Effie L., born September 23, 1865. 2. Mary E., November 28, 1867. 3. Fred A., October 17, 1871. 4. Hattie G., April 3, 1876.
JACOBS. Samuel Jacobs was born in 1743, died in Cortland, New York, December 31, 1821. He married, March 30, 1771, at Hempstead, Long Island, Rebecca Seaman, born February 3, 1747, in Oyster Bay, Long Island, died in Cortland, January 31, 1814. Child, John, mentioned below.
(II) John, son of Samuel Jacobs, was born February 4, 1776, at Peekskill, New York, died May 18, 1854, in Masonville. He married, February 4, 1801, Elizabeth Ferris, born June 2, 1783, in Peekskill, died April 27, 1866. Child: Ferris, mentioned below.
(III) Ferris, son of John Jacobs, was born January 10, 1802, in Peekskill, died September 7, 1887, at Delhi, New York. He was a physician, and an army surgeon in the Civil War. He married, January 14, 1834, Nancy Lasell, of Schoharie, New York. Children: 1. Ferris Jr., a general in volunteer service in Civil War, and member of Congress. 2. Timothy Lasell, mentioned below. 3. Lucia, married T. B. Meigs, president of Santa Clara Lumber Company, Tupper Lake, New York, lives in New York.
(IV) Timothy Lasell, son of Ferris Jacobs, was born October 23, 1837, in Delhi, and lives at present in Brooklyn, New York. He received his education in the local schools in Delhi, and when eighteen years old left home and went into a general store run by his uncle at Guilderland, New York. Here he remained for three years, when he went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1859, and went into business for himself, in men's furnishing goods. He carried on a retail business until 1865, when he began the manufacture of shirts, and did a wholesale business under the name of Quaker City Shirt Company. The manufacturing plant was in Norristown, Pennsylvania, and his offices in Philadelphia. In 1876 he removed the offices to New York City, where he remained until 1890, when he sold out to Wanamaker & Brown, of Philadelphia. They still continue the business under the same name. After selling out, he engaged in the real estate business in Brooklyn, where he has made his home since. He is now practically retired, but owns some twenty houses in the vicinity of New York and Brooklyn, and spends much of his time in looking after his real estate interests. He is a Republican in politics; in religion, a member of the Presbyterian Church, and a trustee of the society. He married, in 1864, Mary Elizabeth, daughter of James H. and Maria (Griswold) Wright, and granddaughter of Henry Wright. She was born in 1843 in Delhi, died in 1876. Child: James Lasell, mentioned below.
(V) James Lasell, son of Timothy Lasell Jacobs, was born August 1, 1866, in Delhi. He was educated in the schools in Delhi, Delhi Academy, and private schools in Philadelphia. When thirteen years old he went to New York with his uncle, T. B. Meigs, and went to private schools there, also attended School of Languages in New York, which stood on the site of the Times building, until 1881. Through his uncle, Hon Ferris Jacobs, Jr., who was congressman, he received appointment to Annapolis Naval Academy, where he remained for two years. At the end of this time, he obtained leave of absence for a year an account of trouble with his eyes. He consulted a noted specialist, Dr. Agnew, and as a result was obliged to resign from the academy in 1884. He then went into the employ of A. D. Juilliard & Company, 66 Worth Street, wholesale dry goods commission merchant, and remained with them until 1891. Then he went into the employ of Dodge, Meigs & Company in the lumber business, in the Tupper Lake region. The firm owned about sixty thousand acres of land in that section. In 1897 the firm of Dodge, Meigs & Company dissolved partnership and the business was taken over by the Santa Lumber Company. Mr. Jacobs was made superintendent, and had continued in that position since. In 1899 the present mill of the company was built at Tupper Lake. Mr. Jacobs has made his home in the village of Tupper Lake since 1893. He president of the Catskill Lumber Company and president of the Tupper Lake Board of Trade since its organization. In company with Dr. Thissell he formed the water company and put in the water system in Tupper Lake, and was president of the company until he sold out. He is a director in the Tupper Lake National Bank, organized in 1906, and is one of the original board. The bank has resources of $440,000 and a surplus of $15,000. In politics he is a Republican; in religion a Presbyterian, and an elder in the church. He married, June 29, 1893, Mary Slade, daughter of James K. and Mary (Slade) Penfield, of Delhi. Children; born at Tupper Lake: 1. Elizabeth Penfield, March 25, 1894. 2. Eleanor Lasell, May 20, 1897. 3. Isabel Kedsie, November 16, 1902.
McMARTIN. The parent nationality of the McMartins was Scotch, as the prefix, Mac, would imply, and those of the same name re-
siding in Clinton County are closely related to the McMartins of lower Canada. William Alexander McMartin, the present superintendent of the Clinton County Home, possesses numerous characteristics indicative of his Caledonian origin, and his father, Alexander McMartin, of Mooers, by rallying to the defence of the Union in 1861, exemplifying the martial spirit which distinguished his chivalric forbears.
(I) John McMartin was born in Scotland, and, when a young man, emigrated with his parents to British North America, settling in lower Canada. He later came to the states, and, locating in Mooers, Clinton County, New York, resided there for the remainder of his life. His occupation was that of a carpenter, and builder. He married Mary Robare, who was of French descent; children: 1. John. 2. Alexander. 3. Matilda. 4. Henry. 5. James. 6. Julia, deceased. 7. Charles. 8. William, also deceased.
(II) Alexander, second son of John and Mary (Robare) McMartin, was born in Mooers, November 30, 1838. In 1861, when twenty-two years old, he enlisted at Plattsburgh as a private in Company A, Ninety-sixth Regiment, New York Volunteers, and served in the Federal Army throughout the Civil War. Instead of being mustered out immediately after the close of the war, his company was retained in the service some time after that event, one of its duties being the taking of the census of Culpepper County, Virginia, and he was finally discharged in 1866, having attained the rank of second lieutenant. Previous to the war and after his return from the army he entered the employ of the Delaware and Hudson Railroad Company at Sciota, a village in Chazy township, as foreman, continuing in that capacity for a number of years. From 1874 to 1887 he held the responsible position of roadmaster on the Chateaugay Iron and Ore Railway, and in the latter year he entered the service of the Boston and Maine Railway, which necessitated his removal to Nashua, New Hampshire. Some years later he returned to Sciota, and at the present time is employed on the state highways as an assistant to the surveyor's corps. He married Flavy, born in Mooers, daughter of Charles and Flavy (Eryell) Laundry; she died in 1903. Children: 1. William Alexander, mentioned below. 2. Josephine, born in Chazy, New York; married Charles La Flame. 3. Matilda, born in Sciota; married Ezera Abard. 4. Emma, married Joseph Peppin. 5. Julia, born in Sciota; married J. H. Burnham. 6. Edward A., born in Sciota, unmarried.
(III) William Alexander, eldest son of Alexander and Flavy (Laundry) McMartin, was born in Mooers, May 23, 1868. His preliminary studies were pursued in the common schools of Sciota, and he completed his education at the Mooers High School. He then entered the employ of A. B. Angell, of Sciota, and later went to Nashua, New Hampshire, where he was employed in that city as a clerk in a clothing store. Returning to Sciota he engaged in mercantile business, establishing the firm of McMartin & Fesett, and this concern has ever since conducted a general store in Sciota village with gratifying success. In politics Mr. McMartin is a Republican. He was for one term a member of the board of supervisors in Chazy, and also served as justice of the peace and commissioner of highways. Elected superintendent of the Clinton County Home in the fall of 1905 for a term of three years, he was re-elected in 1908, and is still administering the affairs of that institution in a most satisfactory manner. He affiliates with the Knights of Columbus, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Maccabees, and the Patrons of Husbandry. At Coopersville, New York, June 27, 1891, Mr. McMartin married Jane, born in Black Brook, Clinton County, daughter of Patrick and Hannah (Ryan) Burke. Children: 1. Edward A., born September 10, 1894. 3. Katherine Maria, October 31, 1896. 3. Nora Josephine, September 13, 1898. 4. William James, April 5, 1900. 5. Ruth Agnes, March 11, 1902. 6. James Patrick, August 10, 1905. 7. Harriette Esther, July 3, 1907. All were born in Sciota, except the youngest, who was born in Beekmantown.
BRANCH. The Branch family of England is extensively distributed throughout the United Kingdom, and is also numerously represented in the United Sates and Canada. Sidney Branch was born in England, near the city of London, died at Bennington, Vermont, 1826. He came to this country about 1792 and made his home at Bennington. He married, (first) -------- ; (second) Susan Flagg. Children of fist wife: 1. Julius. 2. Nelson. 3. Ephraim. Children of second wife: 4. Lafayette. 5. Lydia. 6. Melancthon. 7. Henry, mentioned below.
(II) Henry, son of Sidney Branch, was born at Bennington in 1817, died at Keene, Essex County, New York, 1892. He left home when ten years old and came to Jay, Essex County, New York, where he attended the public schools and worked at farming. He removed to Keene, where he settled as a farmer and spent the remainder of his life in that occupation. In politics he was a Republican; in religion a Baptist. He married Loraine Otis, born at Jay, 1822, died at Keene, 1888, a daughter of John Henry Otis, native of Scotland. Children: 1. Ruthven L., a soldier in the Civil War; lives at Jay. 2. Ellen, lives at Keene. 3. Frantz, contractor and builder in the state of Washington. 4. Augustine St. Clair, mentioned below. 5. Clarence, carpenter, Keene. 6. Cassius L. D., a carpenter at Saranac Lake, New York.
(III) Augustine St. Clair, son of Henry Branch, was born at Jay, New York, March 25, 1863. He was educated in the common schools of Keene. He learned the carpenter's trade there and followed it as apprentice and journeyman. In 1890 he bought a carpenter's shop at Saranac Lake on the present site of the pumping station. After running this for about one and a half years he formed a partnership with W. J. Callanan and built a large sash, door and blind factory near the railroad station. Here the firm had a flourishing business in the manufacture of lumber and builder's supplies. In 1902 the factory was destroyed by fire, but immediately rebuilt on the same site. He has an enviable reputation as a contractor and builder based upon an experience if thirty years. The firm of Branch & Callanan has had many of the most important contracts in this section, from excavation to construction. Among the more noteworthy structures built by the firm are the Sanatorium, the Adirondack National Bank Building, various school houses in Saranac Lake and vicinity, besides many fine residences and camps in this section, on Long Island, at Mount Kisco, Garden City, Yonkers, Brier Cliff, Lake Placid, Upper Saranac Lake, St. Regis Lake and elsewhere. In 19091 the business of the firm amounted to $385,000. Mr. Branch has charge of the architectural part of the business and Mr. Callanan of the financial affairs. Mr. Branch owns a number of houses in Saranac Lake and has other valuable real estate interests. In politics he is a Republican, and he is a member of the Republican county Committee. For four years he has been a trustee of the village, and he has served his part often as delegate to nominating conventions. He is a member of Adirondack Lodge, No. 602, Free and Accepted Masons, Elizabethtown, New York; of Wanneta chapter, Royal Arch Masons, of Saranac Lake; of Franklin Commandery, Knight Templar, Malone; and of Karnak Temple, Mystic Shrine, Montreal Canada. He married, March 11, 1879, Hettie Cox, of Keene, New York, born April 18, 1854, daughter of William and Mary Ann (Judson) Cox. Both parents were natives of Ireland. Children: 1. Myrtle, born April 14, 1881, died aged ten years. 2. Irene, born at Saranac Lake, February 1, 1895.
COOK. The surname of Cook is one of the oldest English surnames, derived from the occupation of some progenitor of the eleventh or twelfth century, and the family is found scattered throughout the United Kingdom. More than a dozen of this surname settled in Massachusetts Bay and Plymouth colonies before 1650, and one of them, Francis Cook, was prominent among the Pilgrims who came in the "Mayflower."
(I) Walter Cook, immigrant ancestor, was born in England, about 1520, and settled as early as 1643 at Weymouth, Massachusetts. He was admitted a freeman May 18, 1653. He was one of the original proprietors of Mendon, then Quinepaug plantation, in 1663, and settled there. During King Philip's War, with the other inhabitants, he was driven from his home by the Indians. Gregory and Stephen Cook, supposed to be his brothers, were with him for a time. Stephen settled in Newton, then part of Cambridge, Massachusetts. After the war Walter returned to Mendon, and died there January 5, 1695-96. His wife Catherine died January 3, same year. He lived very near Aaron C. Cook's place in Mendon. He had an original fort-acre right, and he and his sons became large land owners, specially in the southeast part of the adjoining town of Bellingham and in Woonsocket, now in Rhode Island. His will, dated January 16, 1694-95, bequeathed to wife Catherine, son John, and children Nicholas, Samuel, and Experience. Children: 1. Ebenezer, born May 30, 1656, at Weymouth. 2. Walter, September 10, 1657. 3. John, married Naomi Thayer, resided in Cambridge. 4. Nicholas, mentioned below. 5. Samuel, lived in Mendon. 6. Experience. 7. Elizabeth, married Peter Aldrich.
(II) Nicholas, son of Walter cook, was born at Weymouth, February 9, 1660. He went to Mendon with his father, and settled near him after the war. His farm was in the eastern part of Mendon, in what is now Blackstone, Worcester County, Massachusetts, and he extended his possessions into Bellingham a considerable distance, perhaps as far as the Cumberland (Rhode Island) line. His posterity has been numerous in Milford. Blackstone, Bellingham, Wrenthem, Cumberland and Woonsocket. He married Joanna Rockwood. Children, born in Mendon: 1. Josiah, August 29, 1685. 2. Nicholas, mentioned below. 3. Joanna, February 13, 1689. 4. Mary, October 9, 1690. 5. Ann, March 4, 1695. 6. Seth, April 28, 1699. 7. Daniel, August 18, 1703. 8. David, November 15, 1705. 9. Abigail, October 14, 1707. 10. Noah, 1710.
(III) Nicholas (2), son of Nicholas (1) Cook, was born at Mendon, June 10, 1687. He resided on the Rehoboth road, on the Bellingham side of the line which divides that town from Mendon. He was the first Baptist deacon of the town. Children: 1. Jemima, born November 16, 1716. 2. Nathaniel, mentioned below. 3. Peter, August 26, 1720. 4. Daniel, September 12, 1722. 5. William, December 12, 1724. 6. Caleb, September 25, 1727. 7. Elizabeth, July 15, 1729. 8. Abigail, November 1, 1731. 9. Nicholas, February 7, 1733. 10. Susanna, March 6, 1738. 11. Ezekiel, June 19, 1744.
(IV) Rev. Nathaniel, son of Nicholas (2) Cook, was born September 15, 1718, at Bellingham. He settled in Cumberland, Rhode Island, and was prominent in both church and town affairs. He became colleague pastor of his Uncle Josiah's in the Six Principle Baptist Church.
He was a popular pastor, eloquent and influential. He officiated at many marriage and funerals in this section. he was succeeded b y Elder Abner Ballou, for whom this church was named. He was thrifty and industrious. He married Martha Ballou, of one of the leading families of this section. Children, born in Cumberland: 1. Jerusha, April 2, 1743. 2. James, August 15, 1744. 3. Elias, August 15, 1746. 4. Nathaniel, Aril 4, 1748, mentioned below. 5. Ariel, October 15, 1749. 6. Martha, September 18,
1751. 7. Silas, March 23, 1753. 8. Phebe, January 16, 1755. 9. Elizabeth, April 25, 1757. 10. Judith, January 19, 1759. 11. Awamas, January 12, 1761.
(V) Nathaniel (2), son of Rev. Nathaniel (1) Cook, was born at Cumberland, April 4, 1748, died September 27, 1846, nearly a hundred years old. He was an able, enterprising and useful citizen, of great executive ability. He served in the Revolution in the Navy under John Paul Jones, as landsman on the ship "Alfred". The "Alfred" sailed November 2, 1776, and made a successful cruise, taking many prizes, in which Cook had his share, as shown b y papers in possession of descendants. The signature of Jones is preserved on one of these papers. His house was east of Deamind Hill, Cumberland. He was noted for the number of law cases in which he appeared as plaintiff or defendant. He was thrifty and had considerable property, and that he possessed good judgment and the confidence of his neighbors is shown by the trusts he administered. He married, November 24, 1768, Amy, daughter of Daniel (Samuel 2), John Whipple (1). She was born April 14, 1742, died July 21, 1832. Children, born at Cumberland: 1. Esek, December 29, 1768; mentioned below. 2. Jerusha, September 7, 1770. 3. Amasa, January 9, 1772. 4. Whipple, May 23, 1773; married Lucy Darling. 5. Amy, May 7, 1775. 6. Martha, June 17, 1777. 7. Dr. Nathaniel, February 9, 1779. 8. Nahum, November 19, 1782.
(VI) Esek, son of Nathaniel (2) Cook, was born December 29, 1768. He lived at Cumberland, Rhode Island. Many of the family settled at Pelham, Massachusetts. He married Thankful, daughter of Simon Whipple, Jr. Children, born at Cumberland: 1. Levi, born June 11, 1791; mentioned below. 2. Sally, December 4, 1792. 3. Whipple, January 15, 1795. 4. Amy, December 24, 1795, died August 26, 1800. 5. Simon, June 15, 1800. 6. Fenner, May 14, 1802. 7. Ammon, April 4, 1804.
(VII) Levi, son of Esek Cook, was born at Cumberland, June 11, 1791. He was a farmer at Pelham. In religion he was a Universalist. He married Rachel Ballou, (see Ballou). Children: 1. Hannah. 2. Barton. 3. Pailina. 4. Lewis. 5. Lucretia. 6. Ellis Arnold, mentioned below.
(VII) Ellis Arnold, son of Levi Cook, was born at Pelham, May 2, 1821. He removed from Pelham to Denmark Lewis County, New York, where he followed farming. He held various offices. In religion he was a Universalist. He married, June 8, 1843, at Leyden, Anna, born February 21, 1824, daughter of Sanford and Clarinda (Roberts) Parsons, of Leyden, New York. Children: 1. Alson, of whom further. 2. Herbert E., mentioned below.
(IX) Alson, son of Ellis Arnold Cook, was born February 19, 1844, in Leyden, Lewis County, New York. He was educated in the public schools of Leyden, New York, and at Lowville Academy. After leaving school he taught in schools in this section for three years. He was at Watertown, New York, for a time in charge of real estate belonging to the family, and was afterwards in the employ of Benjamin Hartwell, of New York City, for a year in the transportation business. About 1873 Mr. Cook returned to Denmark, Lewis County and took up his residence on the old cook homestead, where he has since lived. He is an enterprising and progressive farmer, owning a herd of Holsteins known by all the dairymen in northern New York. One of his cows "Lady Light Foot," has a record in one year of 23,273 pounds of milk. He and his brother Herbert own together about eight hundred acres of land under cultivation on the old state road in Denmark village. The barns on these farms are large and spacious, well-lighted and ventilated. He lives in an elegantly appointed home and enjoys all the comforts of the prosperous farmer. Mr. Cook has spent his life profitably in improving his property and makes a constant study
of his chosen work. His success has earned for him the esteem and confidence of the community in which he lives. He has an interest in several cheese factories, and has always been a successful manufacturer of butter and cheese. In politics he is Democrat. In 1891 he was elected school commissioner of the second district of Lewis County and served three years, though the county has been overwhelmingly Republican. He is a member of Denmark Grange, Patrons of Husbandry. He and his family belong to the congregational Church of Denmark. He married (first) February 11, 1880, Mary E. Cooper, of Canton, New York, born April 7, 1849, died February 19, 1907, daughter of Samuel and Anna (Haskins) Cooper. He married (second) November 28, 1908, Minnie Schermerhorn, daughter of Edward and Lovisa (Barnum) Schermerhorn. Children of the first wife: 1. Ellis cooper, born October 21, 1882; engaged on the farm with his father. 2. Elon Wesley, born September 17, 1886; educated in common school, Copenhagen high school, St. Lawrence University, agricultural department.
(The Ballou Line).
The American families of Ballou are of Norman-French descent. Their earliest ancestor, Guineland Balou, was, it is supposed, a marshal in the army of William the conqueror, and found in the battle of Hastings, 1066. His descendants lived in the county of Sussex, England, till late in the fourteenth century, where they were extensive landholders, and held important government offices, both in state and in church. Later many of them settled in other counties of England, and Ireland and held large baronial estates there. In England and Ireland they have preserved an unbroken descent of domains and titles for at least six hundred years, and in the county of Devonshire they have long enjoyed distinguished heritage and honors. The name has been variously spelled Belou, Ballowe, Belloue, Bellew, etc., but at present is usually written Ballou.
(I) Maturin Ballou, immigrant ancestor, was born in the county of Devonshire, England, between 1610 and 1620, and came to America previous to 1645, the exact date and place of landing being unknown. He is first mentioned as a co-proprietor of the Providence Plantations in the Colony of Rhode Island, January 19, 1646-47. He was admitted a freeman of Providence, May 18, 1658, together with Robert Pike, who became his father-in-law, and with whom he was intimately associated all his life. Their home lots stood adjacent, in the north part of the town of Providence, as originally settled. Various parcels of land are recorded to have been subsequently assigned to him, but nothing definite concerning his character and standing has come down. He died between February 24, 1661, when he had land assigned to him, and January 31, 1663. His wife was Hannah, daughter of Robert and Catherine Pike, whom he married between 1646 and 1649, probably in Providence, Rhode Island. She died at the age of eighty-eight years. Children born in Providence: 1. John, 1650. 2. James, 1652, mentioned below. 3. Peter, 1654. 4. Hannah, 1656. 5. Nathaniel, died in early manhood. 6. Samuel, 1660; drowned June 10, 1669.
(II) James, son of Maturin Ballou, was born in 1652, in providence. He married, July 23, 1683, Susanna, born February 28, 1658, in providence, died probably in 1725, daughter of Valentine and Mary Whitman. Soon after his marriage he settled in Loquasquisseck, originally a part of Providence, now Lincoln. It is supposed that he began preparations to settle there some time before, and his original log house was erected before 1685. His second home, a framed house, stood near the same site, and the well still remains. October 22, 17078, his mother and sister Hannah deeded to him all the property which had come to them from his father, and this with his own inheritance of
lands from his father, made him the owner of several hundred acres, together with his homestead. To this he added other tracts by purchase until he became the owner of about a thousand acres. His most important acquisitions were in what was then Dedham and Wrentham, most of which became the north section of Cumberland, Rhode Island. His first purchase in this locality was made early in 1690, the grantor being William Avery, of Dedham. In 1706 he added to this enough to make several farms, which he afterwards conveyed to his three sons, James, Nathaniel and Obadiah. In July, 1726, he made a gift deed to his youngest son, Nehemiah, of lands situated in Gloucester, Rhode Island, and at the same time gave to Samuel his home farm. His will was made April 20, 1734, and in 1741 he appears to have made another arrangement of his affairs, in relation to his personal estate, which he distributed among his children. The exact date of his death is not known, but is it supposed to have been soon after the settlement of his affairs. He was a man of superior ability, enterprise and judgment. Children: 1. James, born November 1, 1684. 2. Nathaniel, April 9, 1687. 3. Obadiah, September 6, 1689, mentioned below. 4. Samuel, January 23, 1692-93. 5. Susanna, January 3, 1695-96. 6. Bathsheba, February 15, 1698. 7. Nehemiah, January 20, 1702.
(III) Obadiah, son of James Ballou, was born September 6, 1689, in Providence. He married (first) January 5, 1717-18, Damaris, daughter of John and Sarah Aldrich) Bartlett. He married (second) December 26, 1740, Sarah (Whipple) Salisbury, widow of Jonathan Salisbury, and daughter of Israel Whipple, son of David, son of Captain John, of Cumberland. She was born December 26, 1701, in Cumberland. In July, 1726, he had received from his father a gift deed of land in Gloucester, and later a supplementary deed, which conveyed to him ten acres, and included the famous Iron Rock Hill. This Iron rock Hill is a unique geological elevation, and contains a deposit of iron unlike any to be found for hundred of miles around. February 23, 1749-50, he made a gift deed of this section of his homestead to his son Abner, together with other land. He reserved, however, a half acre of the hill for a burying ground for himself, his friends and neighbors. His house stood on the east side of the road, nearly opposite Iron Rock Hill, and remained there until 1817. He disposed of his estate partly by gift deed and partly by will. To his oldest son Ezekiel, he deeded a farm of one hundred acres, with buildings and valuable privileges, December 20, 1745, and to his son Abner, the tracts above mentioned, February 28, 1749-50. His will was made September 18, 1763. He died October 12, 1768, and was buried in the Ballou burying ground. Children of first wife, born in Wrentham, Massachusetts, afterwards Cumberland, Rhode Island: 1. Ezekiel, January 5, 1718-19, mentioned below. 2. Susanna, December 7, 1720. 3. Daniel, December 27, 1722. 4. Rev. Abner, October 28, 1725. 5. Anna, December 20, 1727. 6. Obadiah, September 29, 1730. 7. Esther, August 24, 1733. 8. Aaron, March 2, 1738, probably died young. Children of second wife, the first two born in Wrentham, the last in Cumberland: 9. Zerviah, January 4, 1741-42. 10. Joseph, May 5, 1743. 11. Benjamin, July 11, 1747.
(IV) Ezekiel, son of Obadiah Ballou, was born January 5, 1718-19, in Wrentham. He married, July 3, 1740, Joanna, daughter of Elder Josiah Cook, died January 16, 1797. From his father he received an ample homestead on the Wrentham road. the house was a low one-story, old-fashioned structure, with was torn down in 1840. In his old age, he gave his lands by deed to his sons. He made his will April 15, 1787, disposing of his personal estate to his children and wife. He died June 5, 1789. Children: 1. Jesse, born March 30, 1741.
2. Levi, September 23, 1744, mentioned below. 3. Amey, November 24, 1745. 4. Reuben, November 26, 1747. 5. Asa, March 2, 1750. 6. Mary, August 12, 1752. 7. Anna, March 1m, 1756. 8. Joanna, September 27, 1759.
(V) Levi, son of Ezekiel Ballou, was born September 23, 1744, in Wrentham. He married, March 21, 1763, Comfort Thompson, born July 13, 1746, died October 28, 1826. He was conspicuous as a Revolutionary patriot and shared largely in town offices of honor and responsibility; justice of the peace, and representative of the town in the general assembly. He was an industrious and upright man, and highly respected by his fellow-townsmen. He died July 13, 1805. Both he and his wife were buried in the old Ballou burying ground. Children, all born in Cumberland: 1. Rachel, September 11, 1765; died September 29, 1765. 2. Philena, October 6, 1766. 3. Rhoda, December 15, 1768. 4. Vienna, January 29, 1771. 5. Welcome, March 1, 1773. 6. Joanna, February 25, 1775. 7. Flavius, October 13, 1776. 8. Rachel (twin), May 8, 1780, married Levi Cook (see Cook V). 9. Emilia, (twin), May 8, 1780. 10, Levi, August 29, 1782. 11. Olney, September 28, 1784. 12. Barton, July 19, 1791.
(IX) Herbert Ellis, son of Ellis Arnold cook, was born at Denmark, New York, December 12, 1858. He attended the public schools of his native town one year. His parents removed to Watertown, New York, when he was seven years old. the family then returned to Denmark, where he attended the public school again for two years, and a select school kept by Joseph A. Prindle, afterward principal of the Oswego Normal School. When he was eighteen years old he became associated with his father and brother in the dairy business. They made butter and choose on a large scale, and for a period of thirty years he and his brother Alson were partners in the manufacture. His father, his brother and himself owned some eight hundred acres of land and conducted a model dairy farm. In 1893 he was invited by the state commissioners of agriculture to accept a position in the work of the board among the farmers' institute of the state, and since then has been devoted much attention to this work, traveling in all parts of the state, and making addresses also in the New England states, New jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois and Maryland. He has addressed not only the farmers' institutes, but various state organizations of farmers and university students. In politics he is a liberal Democrat. At one time he was nominated by his party for assemblyman, and he was also a candidate for member of the good road commission. He earnestly supported the project for the reorganization of the State Agricultural college, at Cornell University, and as chairman of the federation composed of the presidents and official heads of the agricultural associations and institutions of the state, was largely instrumental in securing the passage of a bill appropriating $250,000 for a new Agricultural College building, and the reorganization of the institution upon a broad and liberal basis. The State School of Agriculture being established at Canton as part of the St. Lawrence University, in 1908, Mr. Cook accepted the office of dean of the school, and since that has devoted his energy to the development of the institution of which he is in charge. The college has magnificent buildings erected by the state, as well equipped, and promises to have a future of the greatest usefulness to the agricultural interest of northern New York. Mr. Cook is president of the Northern New York Development League, the purpose of which is to advance in every legitimate way the welfare and prosperity of northern New York, and especially to conserve and develop the agricultural and other natural resources of that section. The organization is a confederation of the various boards of trade
Chambers of Commerce, Pomona granges and other organizations. Mr. Cook is a member of Denmark Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, and is active in the work in town, county, state and nation, and has held various offices in the order. In religion he is a Presbyterian, and a member of the church at Canton.
He married, at Lowville, New York, February 123, 1883, Fannie Jane, born in Lowville, June 16, 1859, daughter of Edward and Louisa Amelia Schermerhorn. She had one sister, Minnie E., and four brothers--Ralph E., Barnum L., Herman A. and Fay Joseph Schermerhorn. Mr. and Mrs. Cook have one child, Clara Rachel, born at Denmark, October 5, 1889, graduate of the Carthage High School and Howard Seminary, now a student in St. Lawrence University, class of 1912.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.