Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
is one of the most ancient and distinguished Scotch surnames. George
Ross, the first of the name in New England, born in Scotland in 1635,
settled in early life at New Haven, Connecticut; removed to Albany, New
York, and thence in, or about 1669 to Elizabethtown, New Jersey, where
many generations of his descendants have lived. As early as 1709 we find
at Killingly, Windham Country, Connecticut, Daniel Ross, who was living
in the adjoining parish of Scotland in the same county, in 1731.
(I) Simeon Ross, the first of the lineage of this family in Connecticut, may have been related to the Windham County family. He settled in Litchfield, Litchfield County, and married Mary ---------. His wife died in 1777, and was the first person buried in the south Farms west burying ground. Children: 1. Daniel (?) was of Litchfield County, in 1790, having two males over sixteen, two under that age, and two females in his family. 2. Simeon, born at Litchfield, June 20, 1753. 3. Asher, January 20, 1755, mentioned below. 4. Sarah, July 8, 1758. 5. Mercy, May 6, 1761. 6. Elizabeth, January 12, 1763.
(II) Asher, son of Simeon Ross, was born at Litchfield, January 20, 1755. He settled in Kent, Litchfield County, and about 1790 removed to the Royal Grant in northern New York, locating there about 1800. He cleared a farm and lived there the rest of his life. He died about 1828. Children: 1. Noble. 2. Samuel. 3. John. 4. William. 5. Watson. 6. Amanda. 7. Sophia. Samuel. and John L. Ross became prominent physician in western New York.
(III) Noble, son of Asher Ross, was born in Kent, Connecticut, December 26, 1782. He had a common school education, and learned the trade of carpenter and millwright, which he followed at Norway, New York, until 1806, the time of his marriage. He then settled on a farm in Herkimer County. He was a skillful mechanic and a prosperous farmer. He was captain of a company of state militia and served in the War of 1812. In politics he was a Democrat. A man of integrity and good judgment, he was held in high esteem by all who knew him. He married Tempa, daughter of Reuben Kelsey. Children, born in Herkimer County: 1. Dayton, February 5, 1807. 2. Charles H., May 5, 1809, died young. 3. Eliza, September 24, 1811. 4. Charles, June 28, 1813, mentioned below. 5. Jemima, September 21, 1815. 6. Dan K., December 15, 1817. 7. Chauncey, January 22, 1819. 8. Corinne C., April 24, 1822. 9. Lester E., April 18, 1824. 10. Emily M., April 21, 1826. 11. Sophia I., November 28, 1828. 12. Almeda G., August 17, 1831. Of this family, Corinne C., Emily M. and Almeda were living in 1910.
(IV) Charles, son of Noble Ross, was born in Herkimer County, June 28, 1813. He attended the public schools and learned the trade of carpenter when a young man. He had a farm, and also followed his trade throughout his active life. In 1838 he moved to Lewis County and settled on a farm in Martinsburg, where he lived for eighteen years. In 1860 he moved to a far, in Lowville where his son Howard now resides, and in 1878 he moved to the village of Lowville, where he spent the last years working at his trade. He was captain of the militia company at Norway, Herkimer County. In politics he was a Republican, in religion a Methodist. He died at Lowville, February 8, 1901. He married (first) January 4, 1838, Susannah, daughter of Samuel Carpenter, of Norway, New York. He married (second) June 28, 1893, Mrs. Mary J. Lewis, who survives him. Children of first wife: 1. Watson Franklin, born July 16,m 1839. 2. Eugenia Viola, March 7, 1841. 3. Helen, M., March 17, 1843. 4. Walter Delavan, July 29, 1845. 5. Samuel Noble, December 3, 1846. 6. Erwin Mandeville, December 12, 1849. 7. Orvilla Jackson, August 28, 1850. 8. Dennis Farwell, May 8, 1853. 9. Howard Deloss, October 1, 1855. 10. Charles DeWitt, January 14, 1857. 11. Herman J., July 1, 1858. 12. Susanna Victor, April 21, 1860. 13. Frederick M. S., June 10, 1862.
(V) Howard Deloss, son of Charles Ross, was born in Martinsburg, Lewis County, New York, October 1, 1855, and was educated in the district schools and Lowville Academy. After teaching school two winters he chose agriculture for an occupation, settling March 10, 1879, on the homestead, which he leased for a period of thirteen years and then purchased. He has made it one of the finest and most profitable dairy farms in the county. In 1908 he took his two sons into partnership with him as H. D. Ross and Sons. He has a large herd of tested Holsteins and Jerseys. Individual records are kept with each cow, and the cows remain in the herd only upon their merits of production. For many years the milk has been retailed in Lowville, and since 1908 they have built and equipped sanitary stables of concrete and iron construction throughout, the sand, gravel and stones being obtained from their pits, which are located within fifty rods of the buildings. Since 1909 they have been actively engaged in concrete construction throughout the county, having the first power mixer and equipment in the township. They made a business of breeding and growing farm seeds of all kinds, and are also agents for all kinds of farm implements, lime and fertilizers. The Homestead has been named "Rossdale," and has been Mr. Ross' home since he was five years old.
Mr. Ross and family are members of the Lowville Grange, No. 71, Patrons of Husbandry, of which he was master for three years. he is a prominent member and deacon of the Baptist Church of Lowville. In politics he is a Republican. He married, January 28, 1879, Frankie J. Bowen, born at Lowville, January 18, 1858, daughter of Orrin and Deborah (Jacobs) Bowen. Mrs. Ross is a member of the local chapter, Order of the Eastern Star. Children: 1. Jesse H., born January 24, 1881; educated in public schools of Lowville, Lowville Academy, and a business college; associated with his father in farming, and one of the cooperation; he is a member of the local lodge of Odd Fellows, No., 759, also Oriental Encampment, No. 135, of Carthage, New York. married, August 19, 1903, Amelia S. Miller; children: i. Charles Howard, ii. Clarence Theodore. 2. Orrin F., born October 10, 1885, educated at Lowville Academy, and the New York State College of Agriculture at Cornell University; associated in farming and building with his father in the corporation; is a member of the local lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, No. 134,. 3. Ethel L., born April 14, 1890; educated at Lowville Academy. 4. Clara L., born June 6, 1893, educated at Lowville Academy. Four other children died in infancy.
PEEBLES. The family name of Peebles was prominent in Scotland, before 1296. The family name was taken from the town where the family has its seat, Peebles or Peebleshire, Scotland. Several of the family appeared on the famous Ragman's Roll, the first list of Scottish nobility that has been preserved. The term "Ragman Roll" had its origin, says Hanna, in good-humored banter, and far from being intended in any way to wound Scottish susceptibility, was a merry allusion to what, in the middle ages, was a famous diversion of the ladies. Ragman, or King Ragman, was a game much affected in Anglo-Norman society in the thirteenth century--a number of characters, good, bad and indifferent were written in couplets consecutively on a sheet of parchment. To each character a string was attached, having a piece of wax or metal at the tip. This sheet when rolled up was called a Ragman's Roll; each person playing, drew a character by pulling a string which he or she maintained for the remainder of the evening. When the Scottish baronage swore fealty to Edward I, of England, at Berwick in 1291, their names were written down in French by Edward's Norman scribes, and the seals of such as had them were attached by small strips of parchment. The rolls containing the signatures, when made up with a mass of seals dependant from them, had each much the appearance of this game of Ragman; and that name having probably been given it jokingly by some of the young courtiers in attendance, has struck to this important state paper ever since. By far the greater number of signature, was obtained on the occasion of Edward's progress through Scotland in 1296. Among the signers were Frere Thomas, master de la meson de la Seinte Croice de Peebles, Peebleshire. (Brother Thomas, of the House of the Holy Cross of Peebles); John visaire del Eglise de Peebles; la Communaute de Peebles.
The family has been prominent not only in the early Roman Catholic Church before the reformation, but later in the Scotch Presbyterian Church. Dr. Robert Peebles was canon of Glasgow in 1322 and lord great chamberlain of Scotland. John Peebles was archdeacon of St. Andrews; in 1377 lord chancellor of Scotland. William Peebles, of Peebles, was a member of the Scotch parliament in 1468; William Peebles, of Pendor, Lanarkshire, in 1544, and Oliver Peebles, of Perthshire, in 1572-90-97. In 1322 Lord William, of Peebles, prior of the Monastery of Melrose, Scotland, was killed by the English, and his body cast froth upon the high altar.
The first of the name to go from Scotland to Ireland, and the probably ancestor of the American family of Peebles mentioned below, was Rev. Thomas Peebles, or Pebbles, who before 1642, was chaplain or minister to the Scottish regiment of colonel Egleston, and went with the regiment to Ireland. In 1641 twenty thousand English Protestants and a hundred thousand Scotchmen had been settled and granted confiscated lands in Ulster province, Ireland. Many English emigrated to Ireland from 16109 to 1640 and came to New England, and a century later their grandsons and descendants furnished the second great body of emigrants to the American colonies after the famous siege of Londonderry. Thomas Peebles was one of the leaders in the Scotch Presbyterian Church in Ireland. When the first presbytery was formed with only five ministers and four ruling elders, June 10, 1642, he was elected clerk and held the position until his death, thirty years later. He was probably born as early as 1600. In 1640 he became the minister of Dundonald and Holyrood.
This presbytery grew rapidly. When the tables were turned and his sect was persecuted, Rev. Thomas Peebles, of Dundonald, Presbytery of Downs, was on the list of ejected ministers in Ulster in 1661. In the same list appears the name of Rev. Hugh Peebles, of Lifford, possibly his son. Nine of the name were grantees of land or holders of land in Ireland. In 1890 the name seemed to have disappeared from Ireland, though the name Peoples, a family of which lives in Donegal, is probably a corrupt spelling of this surname. The spelling in the early records varies widely, some of the forms given by ingenious clerks are: Peebles, Pebbles, Pebbels, Peibols, Paybols, Pibbles, Peabols, and as many more.
(I) Robert Peebles, immigrant, was born in Ulster Province, north of Ireland, about 1680. He came worth his wife and several children among the first Scotch Presbyterians who accepted the invitation of Governor Shute to come to New England. Of the first hundred families which came in the fall of 1718 many settled in Worcester. Robert Peebles was one of the leading men in 1722, and there is every reason to think he was among the pioneers in this remarkable emigration. These Scotch settlers at first worshipped in the old garrison house at the north end of Worcester. When they attempted to build a church, a mob tore it down, to the disgrace of the town. But on better acquaintance, the Scotch affiliated with their English neighbors, and Robert Peebles, with others, attended the Old South Church. In 1724 he was assigned the fifth seat in the meeting house under the right of Palmer (from whom he bought his farm). He was prominent in town affairs; was hogreeve in 1722, fenceviewer in 1723-24, tythingman in 1725; all important offices in the pioneer days. In 1725 he was in such favor that he served on a committee to prevent cattle and horses not belonging to land-owners from being brought to town. He was highway surveyor in 1726 and field driver 1726-27, declined the office of constable in 1728-29 but accepted it in 12732-36-37. As constable, he had the duty of "warning" out of town all newcomers, a rather disgraceful method of keeping our possible paupers and those of other religious opinions. When the meeting house was seated May 30, 1733, Robert Peebles was placed up among the leaders and pillars of the church in the second seat in the body of the church, while his two grown sons, Patrick and John, were given seats in the second pew of the long gallery. It is evident that the clan feeling was not all gone, however, for most of the prominent Scotch were together in the second pew, also in the third and fifth, while the English were mostly in pews by themselves. Not entirely, however, for many of the Scotch had already married into the English families.
A road was laid by his farm and from the Rutland road to the county road, February 14, 1733-34. He bought his homestead March 7, 1722-23, but the deed was not acknowledged until May 12, 1726, from Elisha Bruce, of Marlborough, Massachusetts, in the eastern part of Worcester, thirty-seven acres adjoining land of Ephraim Curtis on the county road to James Taylor's farm. He probably moved in 1728 to a farm containing sixty-eight acres that he bought April 17, 1728, on North Pond Brook, land laid our to Isaac Miller, but purchased of James glean, of Marlborough. In 1731 he became a proprietor of the town, buying the eight ("tens" they were called ten-acre rights) of Palmer Goulding. But he gave a farm of fifty-five acres to his "well-beloved son, John Peebles, for love and affection," dated February 28, 1731-32. A plan of this farm is recorded in the Worcester deeds. John's farm was north of Robert's and was bounded by common land and land of John Waldo. The farm was sold to Cornelius Waldo in 1739, when Peebles was preparing to leave town. He was a blacksmith by trade, and evidently prosperous.
He bought thirty acres of the south part of the original right of Ephraim Curtis, September 11, 1727; forty-seven acres of John Hubbard of Worcester; undivided land and a four-acre house lot granted to Isaac Wheeler, deed dated March 13, 1727-28. He also bought the twenty-acre house lot granted to William Pain, of Boston, from James Dunlap, of Canterbury, Connecticut, November, 1736, the land being on the road to Lake Quinsigamond. His son John deeded his farm back to this father in 1739-40 for some reason, but April 18, 1741, Robert Peebles, then of Lisbon, now Pelham, Massachusetts, proprietor, deeded this place, fifty-five acres on both sides of North Pond Brook, back to his son, John.
Robert Peebles and James Thornton, of Worcester, were the founders of Pelham, Massachusetts. These two Scotchmen bought a tract of land three and one-half miles wide by seven and three-quarters in length, the present site of Pelham, containing sixteen hundred and eighty-six and one-half acres of land, of Colonel Stoddard, of Northampton, Massachusetts. Stoddard bought it of the state of Connecticut, the title of which was given to Connecticut by Massachusetts, though jurisdiction was retained. The lands were called Equivalent Lands, because they w ere given to compensate Connecticut for the towns of Woodstock, Somers, Enfield, and Suffield, then held by Massachusetts, despite the fact that by some mistake the grants had been made south of what was afterward fixed as the Massachusetts line. The two purchasers agreed to settle forty families within two years. They were all ready, however, for the deed to the proprietors was made February, 1738-39, Lisbon, or Lysburn property, and the first five meetings were held in Worcester, the fifth April 10, 1740. The sixth meeting was the first in the new settlement, held August 6, 1740. He was on the committee, May 19, 1741, to raise the new meeting house, and November 3, 1741, when they began to have service he was appointed to keep the minister at twelve shillings a week. He led the movement to incorporate the town and the bill was signed by the governor, January 15, 1742. Robert Peebles was directed to call the first town meeting for April 1, 1743, and a fac-simile of this call, drawn and signed by him, is reproduced in the Pelham town history. Lisbirn, or New Lisborn, the name of the propriety, was changed to Pelham. Lisborn is the name of a town on the river Lagan in Antrim County, Ireland. At the first town meeting he was elected selectman and re-elected in 1744, perhaps served later. He protested against the meeting of 1751. He was moderator in 1744. The town took steps May 26, 1743, to call a minister and Robert Peebles was on the committee for that purpose. Rec. Robert Abercrombie was settled, but in 1747 trouble had developed over the minister. Mr. Peebles continued to board the minister; in 1755 he was paid for ten weeks' board and for entertaining the presbytery. In 1750 for keep of minister and horse five weeks and next seventeen weeks. He had three shares in each division and became a large land owner. He lived on lot sixteen of the first division. He died about 1760. As late as 1757-59 his son was called "Jr."
He married Sarah -------------. Children: 1. Patrick, mentioned below. 2. John, mentioned below. 3. James, mentioned below. 4. Sarah, born May 29, 1719, in Worcester; married February 10, 1755, at Pelham, Alexander McCulloch. 5. Mary, October 12, 1722, in Worcester; married April 26, 1757, David Histon. 6. Robert, mentioned below. 7. Ann, May 25, 1726, in Worcester; married, November 17, 17547, Rev. John Huston. 8. Archibald, mentioned in administration of estate of brother John.
(III) Patrick, son of Robert Peebles, was born in Ireland, about 1710-11. He had a seat in the Old South meeting house, Worcester, and was a field driver there in 1732.
He was one of the proprietors of Lisbon when the first division was made, having a one-sixtieth share. He was the only son who was a proprietor. He drew lot No. 7 in 1739. He signed the application for the first town meeting; went to Hadley to post notice of the first meeting, June 9, 1762, he owned three shares, probably inheriting two from his father. He was town surveyor in 1743m, school committeeman in 1751, selectman in 1752, collector 1757. In 1766 he and John Peebles occupied pew No. 2. He was a blacksmith by trade, doubtless succeeding his father at Pelham. He married (first) Frances ---------; and (second) March 8, 1757, at Pelham, Margaret Taylor. Children: 1. Son, born April 14, 1737; probably John. 2. James, 1739. 3. Patrick, selectman 1796, resided in Pelham. 4. Daughter, born May 22, 1752. Children of second wife: 5. Daughter, born May 20, 1759. 6. Son, April 20, 1760.
(II) John, son of Robert Peebles, was born about 1715, in Ireland, died in 1756. He married November 7, 1740, Dorothea, daughter of Rev. John Harvey, Jr. He had a farm at Worcester, near North Pond Brook, but left about the time his father died. He was a school teacher, and seems to have lived at Palmer, Brimfield, Granville, Pelham, Massachusetts, and Middlefield, Connecticut, where he died. Administration was granted to John Harvey of Peterboro, New Hampshire, his father-in-law, September 15, 1756. He had one right at Pequoige, Rutland District (now Barre), sold later to Samuel Reed. He was a proprietor of Worcester in 1732, having three tens of shares, and was chairman for surveying lots in the third division of the common land. he was tythingman in 1762 and seems to have been living on his father's homestead, through which a road was cut in 1755. Two of his children were baptized by his wife's father at Palmer, Massachusetts; 1. John Harvey, born November 9, 1745, baptized December 5, 1745. 2. Jean, September 15, 1748. He seems to have married second in Pelham in 1752 (intention May 2) Sarah Conkey, and had a child: 3. Daughter, June 11, 1754.
(II) Robert (2), son of Robert (1) Peebles, was born about 1725; married (intentions January 30, 1761), Elizabeth Cone; was in a company of horse under Captain Robert Lotheridge, colonel Israel Billings' regiment in 17757, and in the same war was in Colonel William Williams' regiment., Captain Salah Barnard's company.
(III) James (20, son of James (1) Peebles, was born in Pelham about 1740. He was a soldier in the Revolution in Captain David Cowden's company, Fourth New Hampshire regiment, at the battle of Bennington, August, 1777. His brother, John Jr. (probably called junior to distinguish him form an older man of the same name, son of Patrick Peebles) was in the same company. Both settled at chesterfield. James was later of new Salem. The census shows that he was living there in 1790. Children: 1. James, born about 1760; died 1860, said to be nearly a hundred years old, at Orford, new Hampshire; settled for a time at New Salem, Massachusetts; soldier in the Revolution; married Martha Haskell, who was born at New Salem; children; i. James, ii. John, iii. Seth, iv. Mary and v. Mahala, of Plymouth, New Hampshire. 2. John, mentioned below. Perhaps others.
(IV) John, son of James (2) Peebles, was born at New Salem, Massachusetts, December 31, 1764. Like his father he was a blacksmith by trade having been passed down for many generations from father to son. When John was only ten or twelve years old, his father being away on military duty, he was called upon to show his first horse, and from that time he followed the trade almost continuously as long as he lived.
He removed to Salem, New York, in 1789, and his name appears among the heads of families reported in the first federal census of 1790 as having one male over sixteen, one under sixteen and one female in his family. His father had only three females and himself at that time at New Salem, Massachusetts, and his brother James appear to have been absent from home, for his wife Martha is given as head of the family. he may have been in New Hampshire as early as 1790, preparing for his new home. In 1804 John came to Lewis county and made his home at Martinsburg. He was the first blacksmith to follow his trade there. He received a hundred acres of heavy timber land for erecting the first sawmill in Martinsburg. In 1805 he brought his family to Martinsburg and his sons cleared the farm while he toiled at the anvil. He was a prosperous farmer and blacksmith, thanks to his sturdy physique and thrifty Scotch management of his business. In religion he was a Presbyterian. He was an earnest, upright man, of exemplary character, having the respect and confidence of all who knew him. He died in August, 1834.
He married, at Salem, Washington County, New York, April 7, 1789, Deborah Safford (by Rev. John Warford). His wife was born in Stonington, Connecticut, April 20, 1771, died in 1825. Children born at Salem, New York: 1. William, February 3, 1790. 2. John, Jr., November 10, 1791, mentioned below. 3. Sanford S., August 18, 1793. 4. Miner, November 21, 1795. 4. Catherine, April 28, 1797. 5. Samuel S., March 30, 1799. 6. Henry, April 24, 1801. 7. Ann, May 5, 1805. Born at Martinsburg: 8. Chillus Dory, 1807. 9. Charles E., March 8, 1809, mentioned below. 10. Edward Savage, January 11, 1812. 11. Sally D., February 6, 1815.
(V) John (2), son of John (1) Peebles, was born at Salem, New York, November 10, 1791. When a lad of fourteen he came with his father's family to Martinsburg, New York, where he was brought up on a frontier farm and educated in the district schools. He was a shrewd and successful farmer, accumulated a large property, and at the time of his death owned several large farms. He was a Republican in his later years. He belonged to the Union church of Martinsburg. He married Mary Bunce, born April 11, 1795; died November 7, 1829. Children: 1. Susan, born December 22, 1817; married Charles Shepherd Lee. 2. Betsey, married Alfred Arthur. 3. Charles, mentioned below. 4. Warren. 5. Venando, drowned in 1834 in Black River.
(VI) Charles, son of John (2) Peebles, was born at Martinsburg, May 28, 1821. He was educated there in the public schools. He worked on his father's farm in his native town until he came of age, when he settled on another arm owned by his father in that town. He made a specialty of his dairy and was one of the most successful in this department of any of the farmers of this section. He was a member of the Union Church of Martinsburg. In politics he was a Republican and active in town affairs. He was supervisor of Martinsburg for a number of years. He died there April 14, 1864. He married, December 14, 1843, Permelia Arthur, born at Martinsburg, August 20, 1820, daughter of Levi and Sally Arthur. She died December 23, 1896. Children: Furman F., born September 22, 1844; married (first) Caroline Richardson, and had a son John; (second) Julia Bush. 2. Venando F., January 9, 1846; resided at Port Leyden; married (first) Ellen Williams; (second) Sarah Williams. 3. Elizabeth, March 24, 1847; married, August 6, 1873, Dr. M. H. Waters of Terra Haute, Indiana, and has one son, Arthur. 5. Mary I., March 22, 1856l died April 9, 1899; married, September 28, 1877, W. H. Smith, of Watertown, New York, and has a daughter Bertha. 6. Ruhamah, November 22, 1857l died June 10, 1899; married, October 1886, Rev. F. E. Arthur; children: i. Irving, ii. Frank, iii. Boyd, iv. Robert, v. Maud and vi. Lincoln. 7. Elmer E., mentioned below.
(VII) Elmer E., son of Charles Peebles, was born January 27, 1862. He was brought up on the farm, and educated in the public schools and Lowville Academy. He succeeded to the homestead and has one of the finest dairy farms in Lewis County. The farm is near the East Martinsburg station on the Black River division of the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad. His buildings are commodious and well adapted to the modern methods of dairy farming and he keeps pace with the progress in this branch of farming, adopting new methods and devices for the increase of the product and the saving of labor. He is one of the most progressive and successful farmers in the county, and held in high esteem. His sister Edna A. resides with him on the homestead.
(V) Charles E., son of John (1) Peebles, was born in Martinsburg, March 8, 1809. He attended the public schools of his native town, and learned the trade of blacksmith of his father, following that trade all his active life in the town of Martinsburg. He became one of the leading citizens of the town and was especially active in the temperance movement. He was a member of the Sons of Temperance and of the Order of Good Templars. He was a member of the local lodge of Odd fellows. In religion he was a Universalist. He was constable of the town, court crier for forty years, and deputy sheriff of the county for twelve years. He was in early life a Democrat, but are one of the organizers and an earnest supporter of the Republican Party. He died October 27, 1887. He married, June 27, 1830, Lydia Allen, born June 10, 1810, died July 14, 1891, at Carthage, new York, daughter of William R. and Martha (Wood) Allen. Her father was born June 18, 1781, and her mother May 6, 1785. Children: 1. Catherine T., born December 25, 1830. 2. Mary Lavantia, June 1, 1832. 3. Maretta A., February 28, 1834. 4. Lorinda, August 29, 1835. 5. Charles W., September 29, 1841, mentioned below. 6. Lydia O., August 14, 1843. 7. Sarah Ann, June 13. 1846. 8. Savialion C., May 24, 1848. 9. Hortense Arvilla, January 17, 1852. 10. Wallace D., June 17, 1853.
(VI) Charles W., son of Charles Peebles, was born in Martinsburg, September 20, 1841, and was educated there in the common schools. He learned the blacksmith trade of this father and was the fourth in direct line in this family to follow this trade. He had a shop in Martinsburg until 1906, except while he was in the service in the Civil War. He has been living in his native town since then, retired from active business. He enlisted August 6, 1862, in Company I, Fifth New York Heavy Artillery, and served to the end of the war. He was mustered out of service, July 1, 1865, and then returned to follow his trade in Martinsburg. He is a Prohibitionist in politics and a Methodist in religion.
He is a member of the G. d. Bailey post, Grand Army of the Republic. For a period of twenty-two years he has been a member of the board of trustees of the cemetery association and president all of that time. He married, November 2, 1865, Elmira Bradt, born at Martinsburg, January 31, 1842, daughter of Volkert Bradt, who came from Montgomery county, New York, to Lewis County. Children of Mr. and Mrs. Peebles: 1. Ezra K., born July 9, 1866; died November 24, 1872. 2. Cora L., September 30, 1870. 3. Charles Eugene, January 16, 1874, a plumber at Lowville; married, February 1, 1899, Mamie McGlauchlin; children: i. Alice Catherine and ii. Marjory Louise. 4. Agnes L., April 14, 18788; married, July 18, 1900, Eugene H. Ferguson, and has a con Charles D. 5. Mary (twin). 6. Merwin V. (twin), May 11, 1881, a paper makers by trade.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.