Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
Baker, immigrant ancestor of this family, was born in England, December
18, 1731, and died November 9, 1806. He settled on Long Island, but at
the time of the invasion by the British Army in the Revolution he took
his family to Salt Point, Dutchess County, New York. He married Jemima
Kirke, who died December 1, 1803. Among their thirteen children were: 1.
James, mentioned below. 2. Peter, a soldier in the Revolution, who died
in 1853, and was buried near a corner of the old church at Hempstead,
(II) James (2), son of James (1) Baker, was born April 28, 1765. He married (fist) Cornelia Westervelt, a woman of distinguished ancestry, descendant of Anneke Jans, who died at the birth of her son Peter, November 28, 1791. He married (second) Ruth Post, born April 14, 1778, died in 1853. He had one son by the first and fifteen by the second wife. At the time of his death in 1840 all of the sixteen sons were living.
(II) Ransom Clary, son of James (2) Baker, was born February 23, 1812, and died March 22, 1895. He married, August 7, 1843, Laura Augusta Kenney, born March 25, 1821, died November 18, 1876, daughter of Silas and Eunice (Newton) Kenney of Newfane, Windham County, Vermont. He was a well-to-do farmer and much interested in public education. He gave to his large family of children much more than the ordinary public school education, all of them attended the district school at Stillwater, New York, and as many as six of the children were enrolled at the same time as pupils, and afterward each of them attended the Mechanicsville Academy, one of the popular educational institutions of that day.
The ancestry of Laura Kenney extends back to the first settlement of the American colonies. Her grandfather, Marshall Newton, Jr., served through the Revolution, and was at Boston during the siege at the time of the evacuation, March 17, 1776, and with Washington's army at the surrender of General Burgoyne in the north. His father, Marshall Newton, was a lieutenant, serving with distinction in the French and Indian Wars under Colonel Williams, for whose family Williams College is named.
Children of Ransom Olney Baker: 1. Frances Augusta, born September 16, 1844. 2. Abigail Lauretta, July 21, 1846. 3. Chauncey Kenney, April 5, 1848. 4. Joseph William, mentioned below. 5. Silas Newton, August 18, 1852. 6. Sylvia Lucy, January 1, 1855. 7. Laura Lowantha, January 29, 1847. 8. Herbert Ransom, April 18, 1858. 9. Willard Marshall, February 13, 1860. 10. Eugene Kelly, August 9, 1863. 11. Frederick Allen, February 9, 1865.
(IV) Joseph William, son of Ransom Olney Baker, was born in Mechanicsville, Saratoga County, New York, April 3, 1850. He attended the public schools and the Mechanicsville Academy. He assisted his father during his youth on the farm, and when he was eighteen years old became clerk ina grocery store in his native town. Two years later he went west and visited various western states. Returning home, he located at Little Falls, New York, where his brother Chauncey had already established himself in business, and became clerk in a drug and grocery store. He was admitted to partnership after a time, and finally became sole proprietor of the business. He was in this business for eighteen years altogether, and for ten years was alone in business. He sold out in 1892 and removed to Herkimer, new York, where he purchased the well-known Waverly Hotel, which he has since conducted with success. He is a popular host, and his house has a deservedly high reputation among the traveling public. Mr. Baker served the village of Little Falls as president with wisdom and dignity. In 1897 he was elected sheriff of Herkimer County. He has also been a trustee of the village of Herkimer. Mr., Baker owns one of the most valuable farms and suburban paces in the whole Mohawk Valley. He is a lover of good horses and owns several. He has some fancy stock also in his dairy. He is a member of the Herkimer Lodge, No. 423, Free and Accepted Masons, of Herkimer; Astoroga Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, of Little Falls; Little Falls Commandery, No. 26, Knights Templar, and of Oriental Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Troy. He is eligible to membership in the sons of the American Revolution, the Society of Founders and Patriots, and other patriotic orders, by right of descent from Revolutionary and colonial ancestors on both paternal and maternal sides. He married, May 23, 1883, Mary Ann Pierce, born November 4, 1859, daughter of Charles and Jane (Dixon) Pierce. (See Pierce I.) They have one child, Amanda Jane, born July 14, 1896, student in the Herkimer high school.
(The Pierce Line).
(I) Francis Pierce, immigrant ancestor of Mrs. Joseph W. Baker, and Mrs. I. O. Nellis, was born in England, September 24, 1704. He came to this country with two brothers, Luther and Calvin.
(II) Francis (2), son of Francis (1) Pierce, was born in 1734, and settled in Suffield, Connecticut. He was a soldier in the French and Indian Wars, and was in the army of General Wolfe, at the capture of Quebec. He was in the company of Captain John Wood at Albany in 1756 (Eighth Company), and in Captain Samuel Hubbell's company, Fourth Regiment, in 1757.
He was a sergeant and captain in the Revolution. In early life he was a school teacher of considerable prominence. One of his pupils, Hon. Gideon Granger, was afterward postmaster-general of the United States from 1801 to 1814. He married (first) Mary Smith; (second) Mrs. Phebe (Kingsley) Ainsworth, born 1746, died March 3, 1830; married (first) February 2, 1764, Nathan Ainsworth, born at Woodstock, Connecticut, in 1740, and died in 1776, a prisoner in the British army. Children of first wife: 1. Luther. 2. Frances. 3. Maria. 4. Elizabeth. 5. Calvin. Children of second wife: 6. Prosper. 7. Alvin, mentioned below. 8. Mercy. 8. Hulda. 10. Rebecca (twin of Hulda). All the ten children were born at Suffield.
(III) Captain Alvin Pierce, son of Francis (2) Pierce, was born at Suffield, August 16, 1782, and died at De Wittville, New York, February 26, 1862. Children: 1. Alvin Jackson, mentioned below. 2. William Burt. 3. Mary. 4. Walter Burt. 5. Mary Kingsley. 6. Torrey Langdon. 7. Rev. Francis Kingsley.
(IV) Alvin Jackson, son of Captain Alvin Pierce, was born in Wilbraham, Massachusetts, February 3, 1815, and died October 27, 1868. He came with his parents to Herkimer County prior to 1817, and settled at Fairfield, New York. He married Betsey Weaver (or Weber), and they lived most of their lives in Herkimer County. They had ten children.
(V) Charles, eldest child of Alvin Jackson Pierce, was born in 1837, and married, in 1856, Jane Dixon, daughter of Philip Dixon, who served through the Mexican War and received on account of this service a large tract of land in Texas. The land was afterwards sold by his heirs. The eldest daughter of Charles and Jane (Dixon) Pierce, Mary Ann Pierce, married Joseph W. Baker, mentioned above, and Mrs. Baker's sister, Jennie A. Pierce, married Dr. Irving Orlando Nellis, of Herkimer. (See Nellis IV).
NELLIS. William Nellis, immigrant ancestor of this family, was born in Germany, and came with the early Palatines, landing in New York in 1710. He settled in Schoharie County, New York. His son Andrew was born there in 1715, and died in 1779; was one of the principal founders of the Palatine church, the oldest church in the Mohawk Valley. Andrew was a farmer. He was confirmed by the Lutheran pastor at Schoharie in 1735. He married Catherine Fox, of German Flats. Andrew's son Philip was born December 1, 1746, in Fairfield, and died in 1818; was a soldier in the Revolution, and was father of Peter Phillip Nellis, who had some distinguished descendants. The family became numerous before the Revolution. In 1790 the federal census shows as heads of family, all living in the Mohawk Valley, mostly at Palatine town, Monogamy County: George, Adam, Andrew, Christian, David, George, Henry, Henry W., John (2), John D., John H., Ludman, Peter W., Philip, Robert, William and Yost. David, mentioned below, has two males over sixteen, one under that age, and four females in his family.
(II) David, descendant of William Nellis, in the third or fourth generation, was born at Herkimer, New York, December 14, 1809, and died May 6, 1867. He married Barbara Small, born 1806, died November 11, 1888.
(III) George w., son of David Nellis, was born May 30, 1835, at Herkimer, and died October 27, 19067. He was a farmer nearly all his life in his native town, and a citizen highly esteemed by all who knew him. He married, Melina Witherstine, born March 1, 1836, daughter of David Witherstine. (See Witherstine). She is living in Herkimer, in good health. She joined the church in 1854, and her husband in 1863. Children; 1. Irving Orlando, born July 9, 1856, mentioned below. 2. Byron David, June 27, 1858, married Ada Casler. 3. Clara Margaret, July 7, 1860.
4. Emma Elnora, August 43, 1862; died November 17, 1865. 5. George W., Jr., June 30, 1865; learned the printer's trade in the office of the Herkimer County Record, of which he is now editor and proprietor; married Anna Post, of Middleville; child, Aubrey. 6. Walter W., born June 14, 1870, died august 5, 1872.
(IV) Dr. Irving Orlando Nellis, son of George W. Nellis, was born at Herkimer. New York, July 9, 1856. He received his elementary education in the public schools of his native village, and prepared for college at the Fairfield Seminary. He was a member of the Calaeopeaon Fraternity in the seminary. He studied his profession at the University of Vermont, from which he was graduated with the degree of M. D. in 1882. He was marshal of his class at commencement. He began to practice immediately after graduation in his native town, and has been very successful, and has taken high rank as a physician. He is a member of the American Medical Association, the New York State Medical Society, the Herkimer County Medical Society, and was corner of the county from 1884 to 1887 and 1890 to 1892. During his first term he held the famous Druse inquest into the crime known as the "Druse Butchery", the most horrible on records. He was a member of the sewer commission that constructed for the village what is probably the most complete system of sewerage to be found in the state, outside of the large cities. He was health officer of the village from 1884 to 1894, and is now president of the village board of health. Largely through his initiative, supported by the whole board, Herkimer now has sanitary regulations that are so complete and effective that they are being used as models by other municipalities of the state. These regulations provide for the removal and disposal of garbage of all sorts, for cleaning the streets, for plumbing and sewer connects, etc. One very useful provision gives the boar of health power to install the necessary plumbing and connections with sewer in cases where owners of houses neglect to do so, charging the cost against the property. Dr. Nellis was chosen under sheriff of the county of Herkimer by Sheriff Joseph W. Baker. He was candidate for the assembly in 1908, of the Democratic Party, and reduced the normal Republican majority by at least five hundred votes. Dr. Nellis is a member of Bethel Lodge, No. 572, and Encampment No. 160, I. O. O. F., of Herkimer, and of the Empire State Society of the sons of the American Revolution by virtue of the services of his ancestor, John Witherstine, his great-grand-father. He and his family are communicants of the Protestant Episcopal Church of Herkimer, and in the religious and social life of the community hold high positions. He married, October 30, 1885, Jennie A. Pierce, of Herkimer, born May 28, 1866, daughter of Charles Pierce, born 1837, a brilliant soldier in the Civil War, and Jane (Dixon) Pierce, born 1840. Both parents are living in Herkimer. (See Pierce). Children of Dr. and Mrs. Nellis: 1. Irene, born December 31, 1886; graduate of Herkimer high school, class of 1905, and of Syracuse University, class of 1910. 2. Walter Irving, born February 25, 1894; now a student of Herkimer high school.
Dr. Irving O. Nellis is a descendant in the fifth generation of John Christian Schell (20, the celebrated Indian fighter, whose son was John (2), who was father of Margaret (3), who was mother of Malinda (4), the mother of Dr. Nellis (5).
WITHERSTINE. Heinrich or Henry Witherstine was born in Germany in 1727, and died in Herkimer, New York, August 5, 1811, and was buried in the old Fort Herkimer churchyard in German Flats. The proper spelling of the German surname appears to be Wiederstein, but it has been Americanized to Witherstine in this country. He settled early in the Mohawk Valley. He married Barbara ---------------.
While out in the fields one day at work alone, she was surprised by hostile Indians, scalped, and left for dead, but revived and was restored to health. Heinrich was a soldier in the Revolution. His name is spelled Wilderstein and Witterstein on the Revolutionary rolls. He was in Captain Herter's company, Colonel Bellinger's regiment, New York Militia, in the Revolution. His name appears on a pay roll dated at Fort Dayton, January 24, 1781, for service in July, August and September, 1779. His name appears also on the rolls of Captain Frederick Frank's company, same regiment, for service in 1780. It is known that he took part in several battles, and late in life received a pension. His widow Barbara received the pension after his death for many years. Children: 1. John, mentioned below. 2. Nicholas (?) was of New York City in 1790.
(II) John, son of Heinrich Witherstine, was born at Herkimer, New York, July 12, 1762, and died June 19, 1835. He married Margaret Casler, and resided in Shell's Bush, Herkimer County. She died June 16, 1848, aged seventy-eight years, four months, nine days. "He was one of the sturdy farmers who came to this town to make a home for himself and family. He was used to the frontier life, and, like many others of the farmers of that day, when he went to cultivate his fields, he went with a hoe in one hand a gun in the other, not knowing whether he would return alive again. After the Declaration of War against England, and while quite young, he entered the American army and served wit honor until the close of the war. He was in the Third Regiment, continental Line, and was at Valley Forge with Washington, and was more fortunate in the supply of clothing than many others of his comrades. His mother made him a buckskin suit throughout, which he wore and which protected him from the cold and storms of that terrible winter. This suit was brought home by him and kept for some time, and finally made up in gloves and mittens. Where his gun is we do not know, but the bayonet to it is in the possession of Dr. H. H. Witherstine, a grandson, of Rochester, Minnesota. It was used for many yeas for the purpose of shelling corn. Another relic in the shape of a little leather trunk, probably two hundred yeas old, and which came from Germany, is now in the possession of Mrs. George W. Nellis, a grand-daughter."
"In excavating for the foundation of the chapel of the Reformed church of this village, the remains of many of the old members of the church were taken out and removed to Oak Hill and other cemeteries, and among those who joined the old church in the eighteenth century, and probably among the founders of the same, were John Witherstine, John Adam Hartman and John Schell, soldiers and patriots of the Revolution, who fought not only for the independence of their county, but also to protect their homes from the savage red men who then infested this part of the country. The remains of John Adam Hartman were taken by Mrs. Broomhall, of Mohawk, a granddaughter, and buried in the cemetery at Mohawk. The remains of John Schell were taken and buried in the old cemetery back of the Methodist Church in this village, by Jacob Philip Schell, a grandson. The remains of John Witherstine and Margaret Casler, his wife, and David Witherstine and Margaret Schell, his first wife, and Henry Witherstine and Abram D. Witherstine, sons of David Witherstine, were taken up and buried in Oak Hill Cemetery by William Witherstine, and Peter Witherstine, sons of David Witherstine."
Children of John Witherstine: 1. John, settled in Steuben, Oneida County, New York; married Catherine Harter; twelve children. 2. Henry. 3. Melchert; had children: Christopher C., Joseph, Gaylord and George. 4. David, mentioned below. 5. Abram, always lived in Herkimer; married Eliza Folts; children: Frank, Mary, Lucy, Matilda, and Lucinda. 6. Catherine, joined the church in 1803; married George Fulmer, of Columbia. 7. Margaret, joined the church in 1809; married Frederick Folts, of Alder Creek. 8. Anna, joined the church in 1807; married Harvey Colvin. 9. Elizabeth, married James Stevens, of Little Falls. 10. Mary, married Abner Reed, of Watertown.
(III) David, son of John Witherstine, was born in Herkimer, December 16, 1803. He was a farmer by occupation. He and his wife both joined the church in 1823, and he was a member to the time of his death, April 8, 1864. He was elected one of the deacons in 1849 and an elder in 1852. In 1834 when the present church was built, he was one of many who drew brick from Utica for the church, and helped largely wit his time and means to build the same. On February 5, 1835, at the first sale of pews, he purchased one, and it was occupied by him and his family down to 1873, when the pews were taken out and the inside of the church remodeled, and new ones put in. He married (first) Margaret, daughter of John and Anna (Casler) Schell. The immigrant ancestor was Christian Schell, who probably came in 1722, with the Palatines from Germany, and was a distinguished pioneer and Indian fighter. His first wife died May 25, 1844, aged thirty-seven years, six months, twenty days. He married (second) December 23, 1847, Margaret Petrie, a granddaughter of Dr. William Petrie, one of the founders of the church. She was born in Herkimer, March 7, 1819, and died October 18, 1898, the youngest daughter of Frederic and Catharine (Thumb) Petrie, of Herkimer, who were married January 1, 1803. Her father died February 10, 1851; her mother July 21, 1846. David died April 8, 1864, and was buried in Oak Hill Cemetery at Herkimer. Children of first wife: 1. John; married Nancy Harter, and has Henry and Mary, who married George W. Mack. 2. Peter married Cynthia Small and had Eugene, Margaret and Fred; he was a wagonmaker. 3. David; married Clorinda Christman, and had Fannie, and Homer, who married Nettie Hall. 4. Abram, married Lucinda Nellis, and they had Hattie, Edward and Adam; he was a soldier in the Civil War, and died from illness contracted there, august 22, 1862. 5. Henry, died August 22, 1846; aged nineteen years. 6. Elizabeth; married Malcolm Christman, and had Walter, Herman, Webster, Helen, Mary and Ada Christman. 7. Mary, married Jacob Nellis, deacon of the church; children: Charles, Harvey and Martha Nellis. 8. Nancy, married Adam Small, and had Byron, Mary and Edward. 9. Melinda, married George W. Nellis (q.v.). 10. Anna, married Jacob Christman, and had Cora Christman. Children of second wife: 11. Charles, born November 12, 1848; died January 14, 1879. 12. Horace, born April 14, 1850; went west in 1872 on account of lung trouble, and located at Rochester, Minnesota; taught school and studied medicine, graduating from Rush Medical College, Chicago, and practiced at Rochester, of which he was mayor several terms, and state senator; married Amelia Hatfield, and had William, Vernon, Glen and Dorothy. 13. William, mentioned below. 14. Margaret, born August 27, 1855; married Jacob Small, son of John J. Small; children: Ruby, May, Nancy, James, Charles, and Dorothy. 15. Martha, born at Herkimer, August 23, 1858; married David C. Wood; children: Leland, Raymond and Walter.
(IV) William, son of David Witherstine, was born at Herkimer, September 25, 1853. He attended the public schools of his native town and Fairfield Seminary, from which he was graduated in June, 1878. He taught school for a number of years. He began the study of law in the office of Hon. John D. Henderson, of Herkimer, and continued as a clerk in the office of Smith & Steele. He was admitted to the bar October 10, 1884, and began to practice in his native town. He was soon recognized as an able and safe counselor, and has taken a leading place in the profession.
He was elected justice of the peace of the town for several years, and served the town faithfully on the town board. In 1892 he was elected president of the village, and his administration was characterized by wisdom and economy. He served several terms in this important office. In 1893 he was elected supervisor of Herkimer. He has filled many other offices of trust and responsibility in the community. He is interested in the subject of education, and has served several terms on the board of education. He is president of the Emergency Hospital Corporation, and since 1900 has been a trustee of Oak Hill Cemetery. He is a member of the Bar association of Herkimer County, and of the Herkimer County Historical Society. In religion he is an active and useful member of the Reformed church of Herkimer, of which he as been a deacon many years, and for several years an elder. His interest in local history was especially manifested at the Old Home Week, and Centennial Celebration held at Herkimer on August 7, 1907, during which time he was president of the village, and took an active interest in making the occasion a success.
He married, December 25, 1878, Mary H. Western, of Norway, New York, born December 13, 1856, daughter of Jason L. and Malida (Comstock) Western. She is a graduate of Fairfield Seminary. She and Mr. Witherstine joined the Reformed church in 1882. Children: 1. Charles J., born in Herkimer, March 5, 1881; attended the Herkimer high school, from which he was graduated in June, 1899; studied electrical engineering at the Clarkson School of Technology, Potsdam, New York, and is now electrical engineer in the employ of the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company, Syracuse, New York. 2. Emma, born at Herkimer, January 22, 1887; graduate of Herkimer high school, and Syracuse University; member of the Reformed Church of Herkimer.
McEWEN. The McEwen surname has been variously spelled by different branches of the family, even in the present generation. It is often spelled McCune, and a branch of the Scotch family using that spelling is living at the present time in county Antrim, north of Ireland. The McEwan or McEwen family is identical with the Ewing or Ewen family which was established in Scotland very early in Aberdeenshire and Edinburghshire. It is very numerous in the United Kingdom and in America.
(I) Robert McEwen, immigrant ancestor, was born in Scotland in 1660, at Dundee. There is a tradition that he came with two brothers, George and John, but the records prove that he came alone. The tradition is very common in New England and is usually without foundation. John, Robert and George were children of Robert, however, Robert McEwen was a Presbyterian, and for refusing to acknowledge the supremacy of the English sovereign in religion was fined, imprisoned, and persecuted. Finally he was banished and with a hundred others sent to the plantations of Virginia. They sailed from Perth, Scotland, in 1685, but the vessel encountered rough weather and was driven to New York. The passengers were landed at Perth Amboy, New Jersey, December 18, 1685, and they called the place Perth after the Scotch city. They had been poorly fed and overworked at the pumps of the leaky ship. The hardships had cost the lives of about half of their number. McEwen remained at Perth Amboy for a time, then located at Stratford, Connecticut. He was a tailor by trade, and his account book, with details of work done and the charges, is still in the possession of descendants. He died February 24, 1739-40, aged seventy-eight years. He married, June 20, 1695, Sarah, daughter of Timothy Wilcoxson. Children: 1. John, born September 23, 1697. 2. Elizabeth, November 7, 1699. 3. Robert, March 7, 1701-02. 4. George, 1703, mentioned below. 5. Sarah, November 5, 1704. 6. Timothy, March 11, 1706-07; resided at Stratford/ 7. Gershom, April 7, 1711.
(II) George, son of Robert McEwen, was born in Stratford, 1703, died January 18, 1786, in his eighty-fourth years, according to his gravestone. He came from Stratford to New Milford, Connecticut, about 1742, and became a prominent citizen. He was a founder of the Protestant Episcopal Church there in 1743 and a zealous supporter of that church. He married, December 25m 1739, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Beardsley. She died December 16, 1792, in her eighty-eighth year. They had several children, of whom John is mentioned below.
(III) John, son of George McEwen, was born about 1730. He married, April 30, 1754, Elizabeth Hall, of Fairfield. Children, born at New Milford: 1. George. March 13, 1755, mentioned below. 2. James, April 25, 1757. 3. William, September 18, 1759. 4. John, January 9, 1762. 5. Robert, April 24, 1764, removed to Hinesburg, Vermont. 6. Elizabeth, February 18, 1768.
(IV) George (2), son of John McEwen, was born March 13, 1755, died in 1813. He removed to Shaftsbury, Vermont, before the Revolution, and about 1781, located at Hinesburg, Chittenden County, Vermont. In the census of 1790 George "McCune" is reported as having four sons under sixteen and two females in his family. His brother Robert was also of Hinesburg and had two sons and two females in his family. He married and had seven children, all of whom lived to maturity and married.
(V) Captain Carlton, son of George (2) McEwen, was born in Hinesburg, March 25, 1791. He married (first) February, 1816, Wealthy Calkins, born at Hinesburg in 1797, died May 10, 1826, in Lawrenceville, New York. He married (second) March 11, 1833, Phebe Millington, born in Fairfax, Vermont, September 27, 1799, died in 1878 of paralysis. He was educated in the public schools of his native town. He served in the state militia when a young man and took part in the battle of Plattsburgh in the War of 1812. He came from Vermont to St. Lawrence County in 1826 and bought land of D. Lynch Lawrence in what is now Lawrenceville, New York. He was a pioneer in this section. He cleared hi farm and lived there the remained of his days. His first purchase was four hundred and fifty acres. He was a very industrious, enterprising and prosperous farmer. He was a prominent member and deacon of the Free Will Baptist Church, and was succeeded as deacon by his son George. In politics he was a Whig. He was strongly anti-slavery, however, and when the political parties of the country were reorganized he joined the new Republican Party. He held many offices of trust and honor. For many years he was a member of the town board as justice of the peace or supervisor. He was at one time the candidate of the Abolitionists for the assembly. He was captain of the New York state militia and always known by the title of captain. He died February 2, 1866. Children, of first wife: 1. George. 2. Wealthy R., child, died young. 3. Narcissa. Children of second wife: 4. Augustus E., born 1834, mentioned below. 5. Harriet E. 6. Robert H., grain dealer at North Lawrence, New York.
(VI) Augustus E., son of Captain Carlton McEwen, was born in Lawrenceville, New York, January 17, 1834, died December 13, 1902. He was educated in the district schools of his native town, and has always followed farming there on the homestead, living in the house built by his father and owning the homestead. He was a prominent republican. He was elected supervisor in 1875 and served two years. He filled other offices of trust and responsibility. He married Martha Witherell, of Hopkinton, New York, March 14, 1860. She was born in Orwell, Vermont, October 7, 1841, daughter of Joel Witherell, of Hopkinton, New York. Children: 1. Jay, died August 27, 1876, aged thirteen years.
2. Guy C., lives at Potsdam. 3. Wright, lives at Lawrenceville. 4. Clyde Augustus, mentioned below.
(VII) Clyde Augustus, son of Augustus E. McEwen, was born at Lawrenceville,
St. Lawrence County, New York, August 15, 1880. He attended the public schools at Brasher Falls, the Stockholm high school and the Franklin Academy at Malone, New York. He traveled extensively in the western states from 1904 to 1907. He owns the homestead at Lawrenceville.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.