Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
is an ancient surname derived from a place-name and common in both
England and Scotland at an early date. The Hall family was established
from earliest times in Haddingtonshire and Roxburghshire, Scotland. A branch
located in Ulster province, north of Ireland, at the time James I
granted it to the Scotch and English province in 1610 and later. In 1619
Nicholas Pynnar reported to the English government that John Hall was
one of the Scotch tenants of john Hamilton, a grantee of Claude
Hamilton, precinct of Fewes, county Armagh. In the same report we find
another John Hall tenant of the fifteen hundred acres of Malcolm
Hamilton, grantee of Sir Robert Hamilton, precinct of Magheriboy, county
Fermanagh. About 1646 Rev. Thomas Hall was ordained the Presbyterian
minister at Larne. At the present time the Halls are especially numerous
in counties Antrim and Armagh, Ireland.
(I) George Hall was born in Belfast, Ulster province, Ireland, about 1800. He came to this country when a young man, settled at Lisbon, New York, and followed farming the remainder of his active life. he married Jane Patterson. Children: 1. James. 2. Grace. 3. Robert, who was a wheelwright in Lisbon. 4. Alexander, mentioned below. 5. William, deceased.
(II) Alexander, son of George Hall, was born in Lisbon, New York, 1839, and is now living at Flackville, New York. He was edited in the common schools. He was a soldier in the Civil War, enlisting in Company D, California Regiment, being at that time on the Pacific Coast. He was sent to guard the country threatened by Indian uprising, and served three years and one month. After the war he followed farming for an occupation in Lisbon, New York. In politics he is a Republican. He served nine years on the board of assessors, and was a member of the general assembly of Flackville. He is a member of the Ransom Post, Grand Army of the Republic, and of the Presbyterian Church. He married Mary Jane, born 1840, daughter of Anthony Paul. Children: 1. Milton G., born August 21, 1869; mentioned below. 2. Millie, married James Thompson, farmer, of Louisville, New York. 3. Anthony W., born September 13, 1878.
Milton G., son of Alexander Hall, was born in Lisbon, New York, August 21, 1869. He was educated there in the public schools, in Ogdensburg Academy, and the Rochester Business College. He taught school for seven years in his native town. From 1899 to 1906 he was clerk in the store of Akins & Long, general Merchants of Lisbon, and since that time has followed farming at Lisbon. He is an active and prominent Republican, and was elected supervisor of the town of Lisbon in February, 1909. He is a member of Acacian Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Ogdensburg, New York; of Independent Order of Foresters, and Modern Woodmen of America, of Lisbon. He is a member of the general assembly of Flackville, New York. He married June 30, 1902, Jessie, born January 25, 1876, daughter of Robert and Martha (Wadell) Adair, of Lisbon, granddaughter of Robert Adair, who was native of Ayrshire, Scotland. Children: 1. Mary Pauline, born June 28, 1903. 2. Elsa Adair, January 31, 1906.
HALL. William Hall was an English soldier stationed at the garrison in Schenectady, New York. He married, April 13, 1695, Tryntje Clark, widow of Elias Van Guysling, of Schenectady. William and Tryntje Hall had: 1. William (2), born January 8, 1696, see forward. 2. Maria, 1697, died December 23, 1739. 3. Nicholas, September 1, 1700; married July 11, 1724, Maria Van Antwerpen. 4. John, January 24, 1703; married, September 30, 1740, Jillistyje Van de Bogert.
(II) William (2), son of William (1) and Tryntje (Clark) Hall, was born in Schenectady, New York, January 8, 1690. He was a prominent and highly esteemed citizen of Schenectady. During the War with France he was taken prisoner by the French and carried to Canada, where he died. He married, April 10, 1730, Anna Cooper, of New Jersey. Children: 1. William (3). 2. Anna, born June 14, 1740; married, December 7, 1763, Samuel Fuller, a builder and contractor of Schenectady, descendant of Dr. Samuel Fuller, of the "Mayflower." His son, Jeremiah, married Mary Kendall, and had ten sons and four daughters. Nine of the sons were educated at Union College, Schenectady. 3. John, see forward. 4. Maria, December 31, 1749; married Thomas Bath.
(III) John, son of William (2) and Anna (Cooper) Hall, was born July 6, 1746. He married, September 16, 1770, Catherine, daughter of Abraham Groot. He had several children, among them sons, John and William.
(IV) William (3), son of John and Catherine (Groot) Hall, was born in 1790. He settled in Herkimer County, New York, in the town of Newport. He married Dulcina -----------, and had issue.
(V) Henry, son of William (2) and Dulcina Hall, was born in Newport, Herkimer County, New York, April 23, 1827, died October 16, 1900. He was a grain and dairy farmer of the town of Martinsburg, Lewis County, New York, where he owned a fine farm of two hundred and seventy-five acres. He settled in Lewis County in 1845. He married, November 27, 1848, Harriet Wetmore, born February 26, 1823, died October 31, 1900, two weeks later than her husband. They had a happy married life of nearly forty-two years, and were not long separated. Children: 1. Franklin W., see forward. 2. Alice H., born April 26, 1859; married, December 18, 1889, John D. Bradbury (2). 3. Charles H., February 20, 1863, died September 29, 1885; married, December 23, 1884, Alice L. Carter.
(VI) Franklin W., son of Henry and Harriet (Wetmore) Hall, was born in the town of Watson, Lewis County, New York, August 9, 1851. He was educated in the public schools and reared on the farm. He continued with his father and assisted in the management and cultivation of the farm until the death of Henry Hall in 1900. For a time Franklin W. remained there, but later rented it to his son, Leon Hall, and purchased a residence in the village of Lowville, where he has since lived a retired life. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, which his family also attends. Politically he is a Democrat. He married, December 24, 1872, Amanda Boshert, born April 18, 1853. Children: 1. Henry J., see forward. 2. Leon E., born October 4, 1878; married Ora M. Falling, and has a son, Earl F., born July 6, 1904. 3. Sadie A. 4. Jennie M., July 25, 1881. 5. Hattie H., July 26, 1883. 6. Gertie R., July 1, 1885; died April 4, 1888. 7. Marvin F., September 27, 1887, died April 6, 1888. 8. Dorothea A., February 18, 1889. 9. Alice A., November 10, 1890. 10. Charles, October, 1893, died April 1, 1894.
(VII) Henry J., eldest child of Franklin W. and Amanda (Boshert) Hall, was born in the town of Martinsburg, Lewis County, New York, November 20, 1874. He was educated in the public schools, and reared on the farm, where he became thoroughly familiar with the business he later adopted as his own. He purchased a farm in the town of Denmark, pleasantly located on the old state toad near the village of Denmark overlooking the Black River Valley. Here he located after his marriage, and has since devoted himself to modern dairy farming. His herd is a fine collection of blooded Holstein's, many of them holding records for milk production. Mr. Hall is a lover of all domestic animals, and they obtain the best of care on the farm known far and near as "Sunnyside." He devotes his time and gives personal attention to the farm management, and is known as one of the successful, substantial farmers of the county. Neatness, good feeling and kindly hospitality are the characteristics of "Sunnyside," and the warm-hearted owner has the respect and confidence of his community. He is a Democrat, and a member of Denmark Grange, Patrons of Husbandry. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as are the others of his family. He married, August 10, 1898, May R., born September 14, 1878, daughter of Archibald and Mary (Hines) Getman.
BOHALL. The family of Bohall settled in Tryon County, New York, before the Revolution. They were of Dutch or German stock and made their home with other German families in what was called Canajoharie, south of the Mohawk River. this section became Montgomery County. Adam and Paul Bohall served in the American Army in the Revolution. According to the census of 1790, they were three families of this surname in the state of New York, all living at Canajoharie: Adam, with two males over sixteen, two under sixteen, and four females; Casper Bohall with two males over sixteen one under that age, and two females; Hooper, with two males over sixteen, two under that age, and three females. They were doubtless brothers. Paul, who served in the Revolution, must have been of the same family.
(I) Hooper Bohall, mentioned above, settled in Schoharie, Schoharie County, New York. Among his children was John, mentioned below.
(II) John, son of Hooper Bohall, was born at Canajoharie, May 25, 1780, died at Lowville, December 6, 1857. He married (first) -------------- Mills. He married (second) October 10, 1808, Polly Bowhall or Bohall, a first cousin, born April 24, 1793, at Schoharie. Children of first wife: 1. William, born at Schoharie, January 10, 1800. 2. Polly, born at Lowville, December 31, 1801; married, 1820, Henry Herring. Children of Second wife: 3. Ann, January 29, 1810; died January 22, 1890. 4. Catherine, January 20, 1812; married, March 9, 1836, Bennett Bates. 5. Lucinda, May 18, 1814, died February 15, 1815. 6. William Harrison, September 15, 1815, mentioned below. 7. Emily, January 13, 1817, died January 10, 1834. 8. Arzelia A., May 23, 1820; married April 15, 1854, Joshua Austin; she died March, 1905. 9. Darius, December 11, 1821; married, October 8, 1857, Zephia Schofield; he died October 22, 1875. 10. Arvilla, November 30, 1826; married, June 10, 1857, Alonzo Breckenridge; she died May 10, 1880, at Camden, Ohio. 11. Juliette, August 21, 1829, died January 22, 1889, at Lowville, New York. 12. Son, died in infancy.
(III) William Harrison, son of John Bohall, was born September 15, 1815, died September 17, 1856. He received his education in the district schools of his native town, and then engaged in farming. In addition to his farm, which he conducted all his active life, he had a general store and a hotel. In the days before the railroad had supplanted the stage coach, Bohall Stopping Place was known from Albany to Ogdensburg. During the War of 1812, when the American soldiers were on their way from Albany to Sacketts Harbor, a company camped one night in the house that John Bohall was building. It was in the fall of the year and the warm shelter and hospitality of the Bohall family was greatly appreciated by the soldiers. He married, February 6, 1840, Elizabeth, born December 12, 1816, daughter of Roswell and Irene (Nicholson) Wilcox. Children: 1. Monroe S., mentioned below. 2. Melinda M., born October 13, 1844, died May 7, 1852. 3. Polly Irene, November 21, 1848, died April 28, 1894. Two others died young.
(IV) Monroe S., son of William Harrison Bohall, was born at Lowville, NewYork, September 22, 1842. He attended the district schools, but at an early age took charge of the homestead, his father having died when the son was fourteen years old. the farm is located on the state road in Lowville, and has been owned by the Bohall family since 1799. Mr. Bohall is a successful farmer, keeping pace with the most progressive, he has a first-class dairy, but his specialty has been the manufacture of maple sugar and syrup, the quality of which is unsurpassed by any. He is courteous and kindly in manner, upright, honorable and conscientious, commands the respect and esteem of the entire community, and is one of the best known citizens of this section. In politics he is a Democrat of the old school. He and his family attend the Baptist Church. He married, March 2, 1865, Lorinda, born April 30, 1843, daughter of Seba and May (Stone) McDaniels. Children: 1. Hattie E., born June 24, 1866; married, February 13, 1890, Charles P. Martin. 2. Marcellus W., June 16, 1869; married, January 26, 1898, Jessie Phillips; children: George, September ii, 1899; Olivia, September 21, 1901; Lillian, February 18, 1903. 3. Marcia, January 3, 1884.
Seba McDaniels, father of Mrs. Bohall, was born in Lester, Vermont, November 4, 1803; married, January 25, 1829, Mary W. Stone, born at Townsend, Windham county Vermont. In March after their marriage, they cam to Pitcairn, St. Lawrence County, New York, traveling on an ox team the entire distance. He cleared a farm and erected buildings. One of the barns that he built is still standing. For nine years he struggled to subdue the soil, suffering the vicissitudes of the pioneers of that time. Then the family went farther west, but returned to St. Lawrence County, where Mr. and Mrs. McDaniels spent their last years. They had ten children, six sons and four daughters, and the six sons were all in the Union Army during the Civil War at the same time, but all lived through the service and only one was wounded, though one took part in thirty-three engagements.
DAY. Ransom Day, a descendant of Robert Day, immigrant from England, was born in 1780, in Connecticut, and died in Hermon, New York, in 1837. He lived first in Herkimer, New York, and as a pioneer went to Hermon in 1824 with his son John. He married Elizabeth Ford. Children, all born in Herkimer County, where their mother died: 1. John, see forward. W. Nathaniel, captain of a whaling ship out of New Bedford, Massachusetts; engaged in the Sepoy War, and killed by a poisoned arrow at Cape Town, South Africa, in 1849. 3. Aaron, served in the Seminole War. 4. Alfred. 5. David. 6. Elizabeth, married Hiram Weeks, of Michigan. 7. James, who originally owned Whitney Lake, now in New Haven, Connecticut; his son now resides there, prominent men of their days.
(II) John, son of Ransom Day, was born in Herkimer County, New York, and died in Hermon, in March, 1880. He received a common school education, and came to Hermon with his wife and father in 1824. He settled in the Day district, where he had a farm of three hundred acres, and which he had cleared himself. He kept a large herd of cows and carried on an extensive dairy business. In politics he was a Whig and afterwards a Republican. In religion he was a Congregationalist, and a trustee in the church. He married, in 1822, Jemima, daughter of Joel and Jemima (Nicholson) Mills. She was born in Woodstock, Vermont, in February, 1806, and died in Hermon, in 1899. Children: 1. John, deceased. 2. Sophia, deceased. 3. Eliza, married Daniel Powell, of Rensselaer Falls. 4. Jemima, married George Evans, of Hermon; deceased. 5-6. Simeon and Samuel, twins, born deceased. 7. Hiram W., mentioned below. 8. James, deceased. 9. Samantha, married Leonard Farmer, of Oregon, a large land owner. 10, Dr. C. P., dentist, of Hermon, 11. Helen, married Harry Alverson, of Hermon; deceased. 12. Emogene, married William Scripture, of Hermon, with International Harvester Company. 13. Katherine, married Frank Babbitt; deceased.
(III) Major Hiram W., son of John Day, was born in Hermon, March 13, 1835. He was educated in the town schools, the Gouverneur Wesleyan Institute, and the St. Lawrence Academy at Potsdam. At the two latter schools he worked his way, at the Wesleyan Institute by acting as bell ringer. He studied law in the office of Judson & Powell, Ogdensburg, and was admitted to the bar in 1859. He remained in the office of that firm until 1862, when he entered the army.
When, in 1862, President Lincoln issued his call for three hundred thousand men, Mr. Day, With colonel Judd, Captain Paine and S. C. Judson, enlisted a large part of the men who composed the On Hundred and Sixth New York Volunteer Infantry regiment. On august 27, he went out as first lieutenant of company A. but was in command of it until he was commissioned captain, March 3, 1863. He showed himself to be a man of resolution, with ability to command, and a bravery almost amounting to recklessness. The most notable instances of his service in the field follow. With a small number of men he captured the celebrated guerrilla, Sam Hi and his gang, and a captain of the Confederate Cavalry with nineteen of his recruits. At the affair at Martinsburg, Virginia, where Lee's army was checked by a few companies under Colonel James, Captain Day with his company was at the front, and bore the heavy work of the day. He joined the Army of the Potomac just after the battle of Gettysburg, and in November following was detailed as acting inspector-general, Third Brigade, Third Division, Third Army Corps. At Locust Grove he prevented a general stampede of the brigade by holding two companies in check, revolver in hand, and with Lieutenant Judson deployed and opened fire upon the enemy, eventually holding the left of the line and winning the day. He took part in all the battles of the wilderness, was acting assistant inspector general, First Brigade, Third Division, Sixth Army Corps, and bore his full share of the honors that gave the One Hundred and Sixth Regiment so terrible a name to the rebels. At the Slaughter Pen and Cold Harbor his company and brigade were in the front of the battle, and, while losing many men, covered themselves with glory. At the battle Monocacy, Maryland, one of the fiercest of the war, and which saved Washington city from capture, his brigade also bore the brunt of the battle. During the latter part of this engagement Captain day was the only living non-disabled staff officer on the entire line, and though constantly on horseback and exposed to the close musketry fire of five thousand of the enemy, he assisted Colonel Truax to retire the troops in good order, after General Lew Wallace had ordered a surrender. In this battle his brigade of three thousand men left upon the field twelve hundred and ninety-five killed, wounded and disabled. The confederate General Early said that he lost in that battle nine hundred killed, besides his wounded.
Captain Day also participated in the battle of Winchester, Fisher's Hill, Cedar Run, and other notable engagements, and escaped without a wound. At the battle of Cedar Creek he twice saved the regimental colors, and was brevetted major "for brilliant and meritorious service during the war, especially in the Shenandoah Valley." Referring to the Cedar Creek engagement, General J. Warren Keifer wrote to Captain Day at a later time, it being his seventy-fifth birthday: "I remember very well when I put you in charge of a sort of forlorn hope party with instructions to break the Confederate line late in the evening of October 19th, 1864, and also remember how gallantly you carried out this order, which resulted in breaking the line and enabling the third division of the Sixth Army corps, which I then commanded, to charge through and break the center of the Confederate Army under General Jubal A. Early, and together resulted in the overthrow and rout of the Confederate Army, giving to the Union Army the most complete victory of the Civil War, and made the name of General Philip H. Sheridan immortal."
In the assault on Petersburg, April 2, 1865, Captain Day led the First Brigade, Third Division, Sixth Army Corps, on the left of the assaulting line, capturing three redoubts and forts. At Sailor's Creek he received the flag of truce from Major Pegram, of General Pegram's South Carolina division, surrendering Major General Ewell, Major General Custis Lee, Major General Pegram, General Burbridge, Commodore Tucker, Commodore Senis, and their forces of ten thousand men, with the entire Richmond reserve troops. He was also present at the surrender of Lee to Grant. At various times, by special assignment, he served as judge advocate and as acting assistant inspector general from his detail in November, 1863.
At the close of the war, Major Day went to St. Louis, in the insurance business. Later he removed to Peoria, Illinois, and became business manager for the Peoria Evening Review, with Baldwin, and the famous Robert J. Burdette. In 1873 he returned to Ogdensburg, New York, and in 1874 to Hermon, where he has since been engaged in the practice of law. He has sent several cases to the court of appeals, and has been prominent in selecting and purchasing right of way for the railroad which has recently come into Hermon, the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensbrug Railroad, at De Kalb Junction to Stella Mines and Hermon. He was the original promoter of this mining property, and selected, purchased and established the railroad in person to those mines from De Kalb Junction. In politics he is a Democrat, and since 1879 had been frequently a delegate to various state conventions of his party. He is a prominent Grand Army man, and is a past post commander, and a member of the St. Lawrence County Veterans' Association; a Mason, Blue Lodge, Chapter and Council degrees.
He married, August 14, 1865, Emma A., daughter of Edward and Adaline Badlam, of Ogdensburg. They have an adopted daughter, Lulu, now the wife of Frank S. McKee, of Edwards, and they have one child, Lowell, living with them.
DAY. Pliny Enos Day was born in 1795. His name originally was Pliny baker, but he was left an orphan about 1800 and adopted by Asahel Doubleday, of Woodstock, Vermont. He changed his name by legal process, November 7, 1822, to Pliny Enos Day. He inherited the property of his foster father. Mr. Doubleday was born March 3, 1752, at Lebanon, Connecticut, and died at Woodstock, Vermont, February 23, 1843; married Betsey Gray and settled at Woodstock about 1783. The father of Mr. Doubleday had twenty-five children. Enos baker was a son of Artemas Baker, who settled in Woodstock before 1790. According to the first federal census taken in that year, he had in his family only two makes over sixteen. He built a house at Woodstock in 1793; was a trader and hotelkeeper. He died or left town about 1800. The Bakers also came from Connecticut, according to family tradition, and their descendants are widely dispersed.
Pliny E. Day received a common school education at Woodstock. He enlisted in the War of 1812, but was not in active service. he worked at farming in his youth, and learned the trade of carpenter. He removed from Woodstock to Saratoga country, New York, and later to South Glens Falls, where he lived for a number of years. His last years were spent with his son at Norwood, New York. he was a builder and contractor in various places in northern New York.
He married Martha Putnam, a native also of Vermont, and a descendant of a brother of General Israel Putnam. She died in 1872 at the age of seventy-two. He died at Norwood , New York, in February, 1866. Children: 1. Aurelius. 2. Emeline. 3. Orlando C. 4. Harriet A. 5. Franklin L. 6. Jane L. 7. Frederick W. 8. Henry H. 9. Albert G. Only the last two are living (1910).
(II) Henry Harrison, son of Pliny Enos Day, was born in South Glens Falls, Saratoga County, New York, February 14, 1841. He received a common school education in the district schools of Saratoga County and at the Glens Falls Academy. He worked at farming in his younger days and afterward had a sawmill. In 1858 he came to Potsdam, New York, to work for the A. M. Adsit & Company, lumber manufacturers. He enlisted at Potsdam in September , 1862, in Company E, Ninety-Second New York Regiment of Volunteers, and served in the Civil War in the departments of Virginia and North Carolina. In 1864 he was transferred to Butler's Army of the Potomac with his regiment; was at Goldsborough under General Foster. His regiment was assigned to the task of suppressing the Bushwhackers. He took part in the battle of Cold Harbor and was in the first attack on Petersburg. He was in the battle at Chapin's Farm, and October 27, 1864, in the engagement on the Williamsburg Road near Fair Oaks, October 27, 1864, an outpost of Richmond, where he was wounded and taken prisoner. As a result of his wound he lost his right arm. He was paroled in February, 1865, and was discharged from the service on account of disability at Hicks General Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, July 26, 1865, ranking as sergeant. He then returned to his home at Norwood. In the spring of 1867 he came to Potsdam, where he conducted a saw mill and a lumber business. In 1872 he went to Glens Falls, where he operated a saw mill under contract until July, 1886. In March of that year he was one of the founders of the Norwood Manufacturing Company, of which he became superintendent. He continued in this position until January, 1907, when at a special meeting of the directors of the corporation he was elected to his present position as president of the company. In 1900 the company bought its present plant at Tupper Lake and in 1902 sold its Norwood property. Since then the business has all been done at Tupper Lake. The concern has been highly prosperous and well managed. He was one of the original directors of the Tupper Lake National Bank, established in July, 1906, and since May, 1909, he has been its president. He is a member of the board of trade of Tupper Lake; of the John A. Dix Post, Grand Army of the Republic. In religion he is a Baptist; in politics a Republican. He married, December 25, 1877, Edna E. Griffin. They have no children.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.