Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
is one of the oldest names connected with the settlement of the Mohawk
Valley. There were three of the name early settlers in Beverwyck
(Albany) and Schenectady, Pieter Meese, Jacob Meese and Henrick Meese,
all sons of Meese Vrooman, born in Holland, about whom nothing is known.
(I) Pieter Meese Vrooman settled in Beverwyck. He was twice married and left a daughter Geertruy (Gertrude).
(I) Jacob Meese Vrooman, carpenter and surveyor of Beverwyck. In his will he spoke of no children, but his wife was to occupy "My house by the bridge formerly Dominie Schaets."
(I) Hendrick Meese Vrooman, the third brother, was living "behind Kinderhook" in 1670. In the same year he leased of Robert Sanders, the long island in the Mohawk, called Steenraby, for six years. In 1677 he moved to Schenectady, where his home lot included the present site of the New York Central passenger depot. His "Bouwlandt" was a petition of Van Curlers land, the engine house of the Central's depot southwest of Schenectady stands about in the center of his land. In the Indian massacre of 1690 he was killed with his son Bartel. He left two sons, Adam and Jan.
(II) Adam, son of Hendrick Meese Vrooman, was born in 1649 in Holland, came to America with his father and uncles. In 1670 by consent of his father, he bound himself for two years to Cornelius Van Den Burgh to learn the wheelwright's trade for eighty guilders and a pair of new shoes the first year, and one hundred and twenty guilders the second year. In 1715 he was naturalized in the province of New York. In 1683 he built a mill on Sand Kill and in 1688 bought lands of the Mohawk sachems at Fort Hunter. In 1690, when Schenectady was attacked and burned by the Indians and French, he saved his life by bravery in defending his house, which then stood on the west corner of Church and Front streets. During the attack and subsequent massacre his first wife, Engeltje, with her infant child was killed, and his two sons, Barent and Wouter, carried away captives to Canada. In 1698 he went to Canada with an embassy to try to obtain the release of his sons (one of whom had become a Catholic); his brother and cousin were also carried away in 1690. In 1703-08 he obtained patents for lands in Schenectady and in Schoharie, from which some of the Palatines attempted to drive him off, when he attempted settlement in 1715. He commenced the erection of a stone house in Schoharie, twenty-three feet square, with the help of his sons, and had proceeded as far as the second story floor beams when one night his unruly neighbors, led by one Conrad Weiser, entirely demolished it. He then retired to Schenectady and petitioned the governor for redress. The governor ordered the sheriff of Albany to arrest Weiser, and succeeded in stopping the opposition to his settlement. In 1726 he received an additional patent for one thousand four hundred acres for his son Peter, made his will September 12, 1729, proved June 13, 1730; it spoke of all of the following children, save Christina and Jannetje. He died on his farm in Schoharie, February 25, 1730, and was buried in his private burying ground, No. 35 Front Street, Schenectady, New York.
He married (first) Engeltje -----------; (second) Grietje Ryckman, widow of Jacques Cornelise Van Slyck, in 1691; (third) Grietje Takelse Heemstraat, January 13, 1697, in Albany. Children, baptized: 1. Barent, 1679. 2. Wouter, 1680. 3. Pieter, 1684. 4. Christina, 1685; married Teunis Swart. 5. Hendrick, see forward. 6. Johannes or Jan, 1697. 7. Maria, 1699; married Douw Fonda. 8. Bartholomus, 1700. 9. Timotheus, 1702. 10. Seth, 1705. 11. Jacob Meese, 1707. 12. Eva Mae. 13. Joachim Ketelkuyn. 14. Jannetje, married Harmen Van Slyck.
(III) Captain Hendrick, son of Adam Vrooman, was baptized 1687. He was constable in Albany, and in Schenectady was "baes" of the carpenters who built the church in 1732 at seven shillings a day. He married (first) Geertruy -----------; (second) Maris, daughter of Barent Wemp. Children, baptized in Albany: 1. Engelje, 1702. 2. Maria, 1705, married Isaac Swits. 3. Barent, 1710. 4. Adam, 1712. 5. Engeltje (2), 1713. Children, baptized in Schenectady: 6. Adam, 1716. 7. Johannes, see forward. 8. Hendrick, 1722. 9. Volkie, 1725, married Isaac Jacobse Swits. `0. Jannetje, 1729; married Simon Van Patten.
(IV) Johannes, son of Hendrick Vrooman, lived on Normans Kill, where he died May 1, 1785. He married Jannetje, daughter of Jacob Swits, November 26, 1757. His children as baptized: 1. Hendrick, February 9, 1759. 2. Jacob, September 7, 1760. 3. Maria, July 12, 1763; married (first) ----------- Van Alstyne; (second) John W. Van Arnheim, of Gulderland, died April 28, 1852. 4. Isaac, February 3, 1765. 5. Helena, August 31, 1766; married Evert Van Aernham. 6. Adam, August 21, 1768. 7. Barent, April 1, 1770.
(V) Hendrick (20, son of Johannes Vrooman, married Sara, daughter of Johannes Gonzalis, who died July 11, 1849, in her eighty-fourth year. Children baptized: 1. Magdalena, married Johannes Pootman. 2. Johannes, see forward. 3. Machtell. 4. Jacob. 5. Bastian. 6. Pieter. 7. William. 8. Jan. 9. Bartholemus. 10. Abraham. 11. Joseph. 12. Angelica, May 5, 1810.
(VI) Joseph, son of Hendrick (2) Vrooman, was born April 16, 1805. He married and had issue.
(VII) John, son of Joseph Vrooman, married Maria Ehle, and had issue.
(VIII) Erwin (or Irwin, son of John Vrooman, was born in the town of Denmark, Lewis County, New York, September 13, 1841. He married, October 27, 1863, Emma Pierce, born December 27, 1842. Children: 1. Ehle E., born June 7, 1865. 2. Herbert C., August 13, 1868. 3. De Vene, see forward. 4. Wallace B., December 14, 1872. 5. Rae R., January 16, 1874. 6. Lloyd, December 24, 1880. 7. Harry H., November 29, 1893.
(IX) De Vene, son of Erwin (or Irwin) and Emma (Pierce) Vrooman, was born in the town of Denmark, Lewis County, New York, August 13, 1870. He received a good common school education, and then became his father's assistant at the family homestead, "Highland Home," a highly developed and productive farm, situated near the village of Deer River, overlooking the sightly valley of the Black River. He was taken into partnership by his father, and placed in management of the property, running ir as a dairy and poultry farm. In a few years he purchased the farm, and is operating it on the most modern and improved lines. His standard specialties are small fruits, grain and hay, with a poultry department fitted with incubators, brooders and other appliances best understood and appreciated by the poultry fancier. His blooded poultry breed is "The Rhode Island Red," on which he is an authority. He is progressive and modern in his methods, availing himself in all departments of his business of the best modern thought, discovery or invention. He is prosperous in his worldly affairs, as the Vroomans have always been since the days of Hendrick and Adam, the early Ditch pioneers, who transmitted to posterity their own sturdy, thrifty natures as well as a name. Mr. Vrooman is an influential member of the Patrons of Husbandry, belonging to Denmark Grange. He is a member of Deep(?) River Congregational Church, and a Republican. He married, September 28, 1892, Stella, born November 4, 1873, daughter of Dwight and Temperance (Thompson) Hubbard. Her father, Dwight Hubbard, was born at Carthage, New York, February 14, 1830, and married Temperance Thompson, born in Harrisburg, Lewis County, New York, March 21, 1838. Children of De Vene and Stella (Hubbard) Vrooman: 1. Ward H., born February 20, 1895, deceased. 2. Howard Hubbard, November 2, 1897. 3. Lucy Randall, February 3, 1899. 4. Erwin Lloyd, December 24, 1902.
SMITH. Jared Smith, Sr., was born in Huntington, Connecticut, July 25, 1741. He married, August 20, 1761, Dorcas Beecher, of the same town. She was born June 15, 1744, a native of Huntington, and a member of the well-known Beecher family, being a great-aunt of the late Henry Ward Beecher. Soon after marriage they settled in south bury, Connecticut, and engaged in farming. Their four sons, Jared, Jr., Thomas N., Truman, Thaddeus, and one daughter, Sarah B., were born here. Mr. Smith's second wife, by whom he was married May 5, 1783, was Mary Johnson, of South Britain, Connecticut. About 1785 the family emigrated to Freehold, Greene County, New York, when in 1788, Mr. Smith built the first saw mill in that town. Their land title proving worthless, about 1800 Mr. Smith returned to Salisbury, Connecticut, where he died, March 13, 1813. He served his country in the Revolutionary War, being in some of the battles in the vicinity of New York City, was taken prisoner and confined for a time in the old prison ship.
(II) Jared (2), son of Jared (1) Smith, was born at Southbury, Connecticut, April 11, 1766. He married, January, 1787, Dorcas Johnson, of the same town. For ten years they resided in Greene County, New York. In seeking a new location Mr. Smith made a long journey through central New York via Norway and Utica. He was offered land where the city of Ithaca is now located for two dollars an acre, but he found no timber land that pleased his eye, and so continued his journey to Norway, where, October 20, 1796, he purchased one hundred acres of land in lot No. 32, second allotment of Kingsland or the royal grant, being in the section known as "Dairy Hill." He paid three hundred pounds for his purchase. A small log house was built near a running brook, and here, March 3, 1797, Jared Smith, Jr., and family began life in Herkimer County. The family consisted of five girls: 1. Phebe. 2. Ruthem. 3. Roxana. 4. Harriet. 5. Nancy, and one son, 6. Johnson. They were poor, but industrious, and finally succeeded, where many of the present day would have failed. Mr. Smith was an intelligent man and quite prominent in town affairs. He held the office of justice of the peace for eight years; was lieutenant and afterwards captain of a military company. In politics, he was an ardent Whig. He died in Norway, New York, March 26, 1845; his wife, Dorcas, died at Salisbury, New York, May 16, 1851. She was one of the original members of the Norway Presbyterian Church, and a most exemplary Christian woman of sterling sense, and a model housekeeper.
(III) Johnson, son of Jared (2) Smith, was born at Norway, New York, October 30, 1798, died March 30, 1869. He was a farmer, devoting his life to that occupation. He married, January 13, 1825, Sarah, daughter of Nathaniel Salisbury, a pioneer resident of Norway, who was born at Swansea, Connecticut, March 24, 1772. Every year at Norway Village on the fourth Saturday in June, there is held a reunion of the descendants of Nathaniel Salisbury, they being more than one hardened in number. There was born to Johnson and Sarah (Salisbury) Smith, four children: 1. Thomas. 2. Sarah. 3. Frederick. 4. Byron. 5. Sarah, wife of Johnson Smith, died in 1844. In 1847, Johnson Smith married (second) Harriet, daughter of Russel Hine, a prominent resident of Norway. There were four children by this marriage: 1. Garret I. 2. Jared R. 3. Harriet, now living.
(IV) Frederick, son of Johnson Smith, was born at Norway, January 2, 1826, died at Herkimer, July 15, 1901. He married November 20, 1851, Maria E. Service. She died at Prospect, New York, July 6, 1902. She was a daughter of Jacob and Eliza Orlop Service. Jacob was a son of William W. Service, who settled in Norway in 1780. Frederick Smith was for many years a leader of affairs in his native town. Both he and his wife were lifelong members of the Methodist Church, ever active in church work, and for many years Mr. Smith was a member of the official board of the Norway Church. He held many official positions town clerk, justice of the peace, supervisor in 1860, was twice census enumerator and for five years from 1871 was deputy county clerk. Both Mr. smith and his two sons, Zenas B. and Arthur T., were closely identified with the county government, Zenas B. holding the position of deputy county clerk for a term of years, and Arthur T. commencing as an office boy, working up to the position of deputy, which place he filled for nine years, followed by a three years' term as county clerk. Frederick Smith was for many years a staunch Republican, but later affiliated with the Prohibition Party, and in 1881 as the candidate of that party for member of assembly, carried the town of Norway at the general election, much to the surprise of the leaders of both of the old political parties.
For more than thirty years Mr. Smith corresponded for the Utica papers and the county press, his articles in the Herkimer Citizen being copied extensively. He was a man with a wide range of thought, and his expressions were as sharp and pointed as was the pen with which they were writers. No one had a better knowledge of local and political history than he. January 1, 1887, he commenced the publication of the Norway Tidings, a four-page, three-column, monthly paper, which was started ostensibly to advertise awaken interest and make a success of the centennial celebration of the town of Norway, which was held September 7, 1887. So well did the little paper fulfill its mission that the celebration was a great success, attracting people from all over the Union, who were born or formerly resided in the town. the paper was published for four years, its last issue being dated December 1, 180. Frederick Smith was nothing if not original and truthful, and in his inaugural in the Tidings he said: "In giving present news this will not be a policy paper. Our columns will not be mortgaged in the interest of any sect, creed, or party. Meanness will not be whitewashed, flattery will be at a discount. If a townsman dies in a drunken debauch we shall not call it apoplexy. Pleasant tidings we hope to bear to our readers, but if sad and unpleasant it will not be editor's fault. We do not expect to please all, perhaps, shall hardly please our humble self. Independent and truthful we hope to entertain, possibly instruct, all that feel an interest in the past, present or future of our town." In his farewell he said: "If we have penned an unjust word that has afflicted a single reader, we regret it.'
The late Hon, George W. Smith, in a paper read before the Herkimer County Historical Society, entitled, "Newspapers of Herkimer County," made this mention of the Tidings: "No effort in the line of periodical publications ever more fully accomplished its special purpose. It was a history of Norway that can ever be excelled, and it would be fortunate for our society if the history of the other towns of the county could be written with the same research and skill in narration."
There were born to Frederick and Maria Smith five children: 1. Ida E., married Charles L. Talcott, of Prospect, New York. 2. Zenas b., married Ella Edwards, of Prospect. 3. Arthur T. 4. Ruth, married E. j. Western, of Norway. 5. Phebe d., married Dr. John W. Jennings, a leading physician, now located at Mohawk. Frederick Smith, aside from his official and literary duties, was for a number of years engaged in the mercantile business at Norway, his son, Zenas B., pursuing the same line of trade for several years. Zenas B. was elected supervisor of the town of Norway in 1888, being the first Republican supervisor elected in that town in twenty years. He soon after moved to Herkimer, where for four years he was one of the trustees of the village. He has two sons, Carson and Stanley; the former having graduated from Union college in June, 1910.
(V) Arthur Tappan, son of Frederick Smith, was born at Norway, May 6, 1857. He married, January 9, 1890, Florence N. Markham, of Utica. Mrs. Smith is a daughter of Rev. William F. and Melissa A. Markham. For more than forty years Rev. Markham was a minister of the Methodist denomination, filling pastorates at Fulton, Oswego, Lowville, Utica, Frankfort and Herkimer. In 1888 he was a delegate to the general conference, and for ten years was presiding elder of the Utica and Herkimer districts. He now holds a superannuary relation with the church, and resides at Herkimer . The only child of Arthur T. and Florence N. Smith is Dorothea Markham, born November 1, 1893.
Arthur T. smith's early school days were spent in the district schools at Norway. In 1871 his family moved to Herkimer, where he attended the public schools, completing his education at Fairfield Seminary. At the close of his school days he read law for a time in the office of J. A. and A. B. Steele, and later accepted a position in the county clerk's office, serving under Douglas Bennett, Edward Simms, and Palmer M. Wood for a period of thirteen years, six years of which time he was deputy county clerk, and the three years, 1886-88, was clerk of the county. Mr. Smith was elected town clerk of the town of Herkimer at the first town meeting (1879) after he became a voter. Im both town and county elections he led his ticket. He has always been an active, uncompromising Republican. In 1884 he was appointed clerk of the village of Herkimer and was tendered a reappointment which he declined. In 1894 he was elected supervisor of the town of Herkimer, serving two years. He was for a number of years connected with the Herkimer Fire Department, a member of Fort Dayton Hose Company, and Secretary of the company. For three years was president of the Tri-County firemen's Association of Fulton, Montgomery and Herkimer counties, and is now a member of the executive committee of the same. Also a member of the auditing committee of the New York State Firemen's Association. He was one of the founders of the Herkimer County Historical Society, and has been its secretary since its organization. He is also an associate member of the Oneida County Historical Society. He organized the Herkimer Savings and Loan Association, was its first president, and is now a member of the board of directors of the association. During the United States' unpleasantness with Spain, in 1898, Mr. Smith was secretary of the Herkimer County War Committee, which furnished relief for the families of the soldiers who went to the front. He was largely instrumental in organizing and making a success of Herkimer Centennial Celebration in 1907. In the great flood which swept over Herkimer in the spring of 1910, Mr. Smith was active in the work of relief, was a member of the general committee which had in charge the relief furnished to the needy of Herkimer. For two years he was secretary of the Herkimer County Agricultural Society, and for a number of years a director of the Herkimer County Grangers' Association. He is vice-president of the Herkimer business Men's Association. Prominent in fraternal organizations, having been a charter member of the Little Falls Lodge of Elks, is a member of the Maccabees, Herkimer Lodge, No. 423, Free and Accepted Masons; Iroquois Chapter, No. 2336, Royal Arch Masons; Little Falls Commandery, No. 26, Knights Templar; Ziyaia Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Utica, and in 1909 was a delegate from the Utica Shrine to the Imperial Council of the Untied States, held at Louisville, Kentucky. Mr. Smith is a member of the Empire State Society, sons of the American Revolution, as is also his brother, Zenas B. Smith.
Mr. Smith has been a delegate to county, senatorial, congressional and state Republican conventions, having been chairman of the Republican senatorial convention in 1904. In 1908 he was an alternate delegate from the twenty-seventh congressional district (Oneida and Herkimer counties) to the National Republican Convention at Chicago. He was the representative from his local S. A. R. chapter to the national congress of the Sons of the American Revolution, held in Boston, and also to the congress in Philadelphia. At the close of his term as county clerk in 1888 he purchased an interest in the Citizen Publishing Company, and for the past twenty years has been actively engaged in newspaper work, being secretary of the company, his associates being Charles S. Munger, and Rufus E. King, who are president and treasurer respectively of the company. The company publishes the three leading papers of the county, the Herkimer Citizen, on Tuesday, the Ilion Citizen, on Thursday, and the Frankfort Citizen, on Saturday. These journals are Republican in politics, their motto being, "Hew to the line, let the chips fall where they may."
BARNES. The ancient seat of the Barnes family in England was at Lynn Regis, in Dorsetshire, and their armorial bearings are recorded in the college of Arms in London. Edward Barnes, of Eastwich, Lynn Regis, was undoubtedly the ancestor of William Barnes, mentioned below.
(I) William Barnes, probably born in East Hampton, Long Island, in 1644, died December 1, 1698; married, prior to 1670, Elizabeth ----------. Children: 1. Thomas. 2. Benjamin, born in 1671. 3. Stephen, born in 1673. 4. Isaac. 5. Matthew. 6. Nathaniel. 7. Samuel. 8. Recompense. 9. William. 10. Mary. 11. Elizabeth.
(II) William (2), son of William (1) and Elizabeth Barnes, was born in East Hampton, died there August 26, 1706. He married Mary Rogers, who died May 19, 1705. She bore him four children: 1. Mary. 2. William. 3. Noah, baptized December 19, 1703. 4. Elizabeth, baptized May 17, 1705.
(III) William (3), son of William (2) and Mary (Rogers) Barnes, was born in East Hampton, January 17, 1702. He settled in Lanesborough, Massachusetts, and his death occurred in that town, March 30, 1728. He married, October 11, 1722, Martha Edwards. Children: 1. William. 2. Martha, born March 4, 1725. 3. Joseph, December 17, 1727. Mrs. Martha Barnes married (second) John Parsons.
(IV) William (4), son of William, (3) and Martha (Edwards) Barnes was born May 11, 1729. He married Jemima Sherril, December 4, 1746, and her death occurred March 29, 1823, at the advanced age of ninety-eight years. Children: 1. William, born September 6, 1747; settled at Richmond, Massachusetts. 2. Jemima, February 24, 1749. 3. Eli, 1754, died in Berlin, Connecticut, June 15, 1815. 4. Jeremiah. 5. Joseph, born in 1759. 6. Noah. 7. David.
(V) Jeremiah, son of William (4) and Jemima (Sherril) Barnes, was born in 1756. In 1809 he went from Lanesborough, Massachusetts, to Beekmantown, New York, and became a successful farmer and a reputable citizen. In politics he was a Whig. He died at Beekmantown, August 24, 1840. He married, June 26, 1781, Phebe, daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth Schellinger, of Annagansett. She was born in Lanesborough in 1760, died in Beekmantown, February 10, 1827. Children: 1. Jeremiah. 2. Jonathan. 3. Fannie. 4. Maria. 5. Hannah. 6. Horace. 7. Henry. 8. Betsey, all of whom became heads of families, excepting Betsy.
(VI) Jeremiah (2), son of Jeremiah (1) and Phebe (Schellinger) Barnes, was born in Richmond, Massachusetts, October 19, 1785. He accompanied his parents to Beekmantown in 1809, and participated in the important military operations on Lake Champlain during the War of 1812-15. At the battle of Plattsburgh, in September, 1814, he served as sergeant of Captain Sherry's company, which occupied an advanced position in the direction of Chazy and was the first to engage the enemy. Although confronted by overwhelming numbers, they made a most gallant resistance, and when forced by discretion to retreat toward Plattsburgh they compelled the British to fight desperately for the advantage gained. He resided in Beekmantown for the remainder of his life, which terminated August 23, 1879, at the age of ninety-three years, and was one of the very few to succumb solely to the infirmities of old age. For upwards of fifty years he acted with the Whig party in politics, and held numerous town offices, in which he invariably won the approval of the entire community. It has been said of him that he was ever mindful of the poor and needy, never allowing a person in want to go empty-handed from his door, and he also possessed other laudable characteristics which endeared him to his fellow townsmen. He married, June 7, 1831, Mary Ann, born in Beekmantown, October 31, 1801, daughter of Jonathan and Lucy (Kittridge) Farnsworth.
She died in Pepperell, Massachusetts, April 18, 1875. Children: 1. James F. 2. Phjebe M. 3. Jeremiah. 4. Charles A. Mary Ann Farnsworth was a descendant in the sixth generation of Matthias Farnsworth, the immigrant, who was provably born in 1612 at or near Farnsworth, Lancashire, England. He was a weaver; was made a freeman in Massachusetts in 1670; married (probably for his second wife) Mary, daughter of George Farr, of Lynn, Massachusetts. From him the line of descent is: Benjamin (2), Aaron (3), Aaron (4), Jonathan (5) and Mary Ann (6). Jonathan Farnsworth (5) was one of the early settlers of Beekmantown, and his posterity is numerous.
(VII) James F., son of Jeremiah (2) and Mary A. (Farnsworth) Barnes, was born in Beekmantown, July 4, 1832. He completed his education at the Plattsburgh Academy, and when a young man he taught school. He was an energetic and successful tiller of the soil in his native town. As one of the progressive farmers and residents of Beekmantown he was highly esteemed by all with whom he came in contact, and his progressive tendencies were a strong factor in forwarding the agricultural resources of that section of the state. For fourteen consecutive years he served as a justice of the peace, was for several years inspector of elections, was a staunch republican and frequently a delegate to party conventions. He was a leading member of the Presbyterian Church, and availed himself of every opportunity to demonstrate his interest in the temperance cause. Mr. Barnes died in Beekmantown, December 6, 1898. He married, November 5, 1857, Susan B., born in Benson, Vermont, October 1, 1836, daughter of John and Sarah Dickinson, early settlers in Benson and originally of Pittsfield, Massachusetts. She was a descendant of Nathaniel Dickinson, who came from England with Governor Winthrop in 1630 and settled at Wethersfield, Connecticut, about the year 1636. Her father was one of the leading residents of Benson, holding various town and county offices, and was a member of the Vermont legislature. James F. and Susan B. (Dickinson) Barnes had children: 1. Jeremiah M., born July 17, 1859; married Louisa Arnold, of Cadyville, New York. 2. James L., August 12, 1861, died November 28, 1902; married Ada, born July 1, 1871, daughter of Jacob Reynolds, and had five children: i. Ada, ii. George W., iii. James Farnsworth, iv. Fannie, and v. Charles Arthur. 3. Fanny M., December 20, 1863; married William Emerson, of Plattsburgh, who died September 6, 1883. Mrs. Emerson resides in Beekmantown.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.