Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
surname Randles was originally identical with Randle and Randall. This
branch of the family, however, has followed the spelling Randles for
many generations. The first settlers, according to the best knowledge at
hand, were William and Hugh Randles, undoubtedly brothers, who located
in Hamptontown, Washington County, New York. In 1790 the federal census
shows that William had two males over sixteen, one under sixteen and two
females in his family. Hugh had the same size of family, recorded in the
same figures. Theirs were the only names spelled in this way in that
(I) Andrew Randles, son of William Randles, mentioned above, was born at Salem or West Hebron, Washington County, New York, about 1770-75, died in Lisbon, New York. He married Phoebe McKnight. Children: 1. William Henry, mentioned below. 2. Phebe. 3. Elizabeth. 4. Jane. 5. George. 6. Andrew. 7. James.
(II) William Henry, son of Andrew Randles, was born in 1798, in Washington County, New York at Salem or West Hebron. He removed to Lisbon with his father, who was one of the pioneers of the section, and with him cleared land and followed farming as an occupation. He married Margaret B. Rowan, born in 1803, died in Lisbon, March 21, 1878. Children: 1. Sarah Ages, wife of Artimus Jones, of Lisbon. 2. Harriet, wife of William Connor, of Lisbon, died there in 1908. 3. William Armstrong, mentioned below. 4. Frank B., lieutenant in the Civil War, in the One Hundred and Forty-sixth Regiment; was taken prisoner, was confined in Salisbury and Libby prisons, and died from the effects of starvation undergone in the latter place.
(III) William Armstrong, son of William Henry Randles, was born December 25, 1840, in Lisbon. He was educated in the schools of the town, and took up farming as an occupation., he also bought, sold and raised high class horses. In politics he was a Republican, and in religion a member of the Congregational Church, of which he was also a trustee. He and his father held the latter office for seventy-five years. He was an active man to the time of his death. He died suddenly, of heart failure, December 3, 1900. He married Rachel L., daughter of George and Betsey (Riley) Chambers. She was born August 31, 1839, in Lisbon, died January 28, 1910, in Ogdensburg, new York. Children: 1. Charles Delbert, mentioned below. 2. Minnie Electa, married James S. Slater, of New York. 3. Lulu, married Frank C. Andrews, of Worcester, Massachusetts. 4. Cora, married John Coons, farmer of Louisville, New York; children: i. Orlof, ii. Riva, iii. Clare. 5. Grace L., teacher in Hackensack, New Jersey. 6. Frank G., traveling salesman, lives in Ogdensburg; married Jennie Stevens; child, Frances.
(IV) Charles Delbert, son of William Armstrong Randles, was born March 15, 1863, in Lisbon. He was educated in the district schools, Ogdensburg Free Academy, and Eastman Business College at Poughkeepsie, New York. he traveled on the road for several years, and in 1894 went into business for himself in Ogdensburg, in the manufacture of ladies garments. He has continued in that line ever since. He is a director in the St. Lawrence County Savings Bank, in Ogdensburg, and secretary of the same. He is also a director in the Fleming & Sovie Company, Ogdensburg. In politics he is a Republican, and has been treasurer of the Republican city committee for years. He is a member of the Acacian Lodge, No. 705, F. and A. M., and a member of St. Lawrence Council, No 276, U. C. T., he is also a member of the Ogdensburg Club and secretary of the same. He is an attendant of the Presbyterian Church. He married, July 26, 1893, Ella May, daughter of Thomas and Eliza Doyle Jameson, of Lisbon. Children: 1. Dana Allen, born August 25, 1894. 2. Earl Clement, May 10, 1897. 3. Alta Irene, June 1, 1899. 4. Merritt Emmett, November 9, 1904. 5. Elva Marion, October 16, 1907.
BEDELL. The Bedell family were early in New England, where the name is found as Bedle, Bedel, Beadle and Bedell. A branch of the family settled in New Jersey, and descendants are still numerous in that state. Another branch settled on Long Island, but a common ancestor cannot be found. They were seated in Dutchess and Albany Counties, new York, prior to the Revolution, many of the name appearing on the militia rolls of these counties as serving in that war. In the first census ever taken in the United States--1790--there appear thirty-eight Bedells as heads of families in New York state, under the different spellings, the most common being Beedle.
(O) William Bedell, born February 26, 1790, died August 14, 1876. He was a farmer of Albany County, removed to Lewis County, New York, with his wife and five children, where he settled in the town of Denmark on the farm now owned by his grandson, Byron W. Bedell. This was at an early day when the journey was through deep forests and across unbridged streams. He cleared a farm, built a home and prospered. He was an energetic, industrious man of strong character, noted for honesty and probity, characteristics yet strong in his descendants. He was a member of the Methodist church. He married Resina Hollister, born September 12, 1793, died November 13, 1836, and had issue.
(II) John Wesley, son of William and Resina (Hollister) Bedell, was born December 25, 1830, in Albany County, died June 23, 1872. He was educated in the public schools of his day and town, and followed all his life the occupation of a farmer. He was prosperous and respected. He married, November 9, 1854, Sarah, born June 5, 1835, daughter of Philipp and Katherine Harter. Philipp Harter was born in 1798, came to this country in 1830, died 1876. He was a blacksmith and a farmer. He married Katherine Gordonier, of Herkimer County, New York, born 1800, died 1878. Children of John Wesley and Sarah Bedell; !. Phillipa Eliza, born September 7, 1855; married, March 8, 1879, Sylvester Graves. 2. Byron Wesley, see forward. 3. Horatio Eugene, October 4, 1861, died February 19, 1862. 4. Minnie Kate, December 15, 1869; married Jonas Cole Patterson,, August 24, 1887.
(III) Byron Wesley, eldest son of John Wesley and Sarah (Harter) Bedell, was born March 23, 1858, in the town of Denmark, Lewis County, New York. He was educated in the schools of Denmark, and on arriving at man's estate chose the same occupation as his permanent calling. He purchased the old Bedell homestead farm, "Maple Lawn," located on the Carthage Road east of the village of Copenhagen, and has since devoted himself to its cultivation and improvement. He makes a specialty of dairy farming, his herd of cows being graded Holsteins. He is modern and progressive in his ideas, as is evidenced by the condition existing in his farm, where everything bespeaks the prosperous, progressive American farmer. He is fond of his business, and follows it from natural inclination. His stock is of the best, and is comfortably houses in one of the most modern and substantial of barn buildings. He is of a genial, happy disposition, highly respected by all who know him. He is a member of the Carthage Congregational Church, with his wife and family. Politically he is a Republican. He married, April 13, 1881, Minnie, born February 9, 1858, in Lowville, daughter of George and Theresa (Pfaff) Heminger, whose other children were: 1. George. 2. Carrie. 3. Albert, the latter dying in childhood. Byron W. and Minnie Reed have two children: 1. Leland George, born August 8, 1885. 2. Lizzie Mary, August 9, 1887.
RICE. The surname Rice is identical with Roice, or Royce, which was the spelling in use in this family during the first century or more in this country.
(I) Robert Royce, or Rice, immigrant ancestor, was born in England, and came in 1634 in the ship "Francis" to Boston. Some accounts locate him in Boston in 1631, and he seems to have been a member of the Boston Church, in fact, as early as 1632. He was admitted a freeman, April 1, 1634. He was disarmed by the Boston authorities in 1639 because of his support of Wheelwright and Anne Hutchinson in their religious views. He removed to Stratford, Connecticut, in 1644, and was there in 1656. He located in New London, Connecticut, in 1657, and was constable there in 1660, and member of the general assembly in 1662. He left an estate valued at about four hundred and twenty pounds. He married Elizabeth ------------. Children: 1. Joshua, born at Boston, April 14, 1637. 2. Nathaniel, baptized March 24, 1639; removed to Wallingford, Connecticut. 3. Patience, born April 1, 1642, died young. 4. Ruth, married, December 15, 1669, John Lothrop. 5. Sarah, married John Caulkins. 6. Nehemiah, removed to Wallingford. 7. Samuel, mentioned below. 8. Isaac, removed to New London. 9. Jonathan, married Deborah Caulkins. Nehemiah, brother of Robert, was at New London.
(II) Samuel Royce or Rice, son of Robert Rice, was born about 1645, and settled in Wallingford. He was a freeman in 1669. He married, January 9, 1667, Hannah Churchwood, of Wethersfield. Children: 1. Samuel, mentioned below. 2. Abigail, born November 2, 1677. 3. Prudence, July 26, 1680. 4. Deborah, September 8, 1683. 5. Isaac, March 10, 1688.
(III) Samuel Royce or Rice, son of Samuel Royce or Rice, as born about 1668. He married (first) June 5, 1690, Sarah Baldwin; (second) December 12, 1695, Hannah Benedict, who died at Meriden, Connecticut, January 2, 1761, aged ninety years. He died at Meriden, May 14, 1757, aged eighty-seven years. Children: 1. Ebenezer, born September 25, 1691. 2. Nathaniel, October 21, 1692. 3. John, mentioned below. 4. Mary, February 17, 1695. 5. Jacob, April 11, 1697. Children of second wife: 6. Hannah, February 19, 1697-98. 7. Ezekiel, February 10, 1699. 8. Abel, January 10, 1700. 9. Samuel, October 5, 1702. 10. Benjamin, May 23, 1705. 11. Mehitable, July 30, 1709. 12. Ebenezer, August 21, 1713.
(IV) John Royce or Rice, son of Samuel Rice, was born at Wallingford, April 25, 1693. His children appear to have settled in Woodbury, Connecticut: 1. John mentioned below. 2. Matthew, married Deborah ------------, and has Ann, Hannah, Matthew, Mark and Like, between 1741 and 1748. 3. David, married Ruth ---------------- and had Sarah, March 25, 1741, David, February 13, 1744. 4. Deborah, married, October 3, 1739, David Roots, at Woodbury. 5. Nathan, married Ruth----------, and had Rachel, February 22, 1739, at Woodbury. In 1790, John, David and Mark were heads of families at Washington, formerly Woodbury, Connecticut.
(V) John (2), son of John (1) Royce, was born about 1705, probably at Wallingford, and died at Washington, Connecticut, October, 1795. He married Dorcas --------------. Children, probably all born Woodbury: 1. Nehemiah, settled in Lanesborough, Massachusetts; in the Revolution, 1781. 2. Jehiel (not recorded, unless the name is misspelled Jehu), mentioned below. 3. Deborah, February 13, 1735. 4. Jonathan, July 13, 1739, soldier in the Revolution, with brothers Adonijah, Nehemiah, and Josiah, from Lanesborough, Massachusetts. 5. Jehu, born June 17, 1741 (spelled John in record of baptisms June 14, 1741; note the date is before birth of Jehu). 6. Adonijah, born December 30, 1743; removed to Lanesborough, with brothers Josiah, Nehemiah and Jonathan; married (first) Amy Brush, at New Fairfield, Connecticut, 1771; (second) January 1, 1796, Deborah Barker, at Newport, Rhode Island, daughter of Peckham Barker; was captain in the militia, and soldier in the Revolution. 7. Amos, June 6, 1746. 8. Dorcas, January 5, 1749. 9. Josiah, June 17, 1750. 10. Ruth, January 28, 1754. 11. Rachel, twin of Ruth.
(VI) Jehiel Rice, son of John (2) Royce, was, according to the best evidence obtainable, born at Woodbury, about 1730. We have no further record of him except that Jehiel, Jr., his son, was called junior as late as 1779, when he was a soldier in the Revolution, showing that the father was then living. Possibly he went to Lanesborough,
(VII) Jehiel (2), son of Jehiel (1) Rice, was born in Woodbury, or Washington, Connecticut, august 23, 1759. He was a soldier in Captain Stanley's company, in July, 1779. (See Conn, Hist. Soc., vol. viii, 9, 194). He removed to Lanesborough, Massachusetts, after 1779, where his uncles had located. In 1790 he and his uncle, Adonijah, were living and heads of families at Lanesborough, Berkshire County. Most of the others went to Vermont. The name is spelled Rice in the census, but Royce in the town history. Adonijah had three males over sixteen in his family, one under that age, and seven females. Jehiel (spelled Jaheel) had three sons under sixteen, and one female (wife probably) in his family . In 1803 he went to Northern New York and settled in the wilderness one mile from the present village of Lowville, Lewis County, and cleared his farm. He eventually had a farm of two hundred and thirty acres. He married, November 26, 1761, Pernal Rice, a relative, thought to be daughter of one of the Lanesborough uncles. They had Abel, mentioned below. Doubtless other children.
(VIII) Abel, son of Jehiel (2) Rice, was born in Lanesborough, and came with his parents to Lewis county, New York, in 1803. He died April 3, 1871. He shared in the arduous toil of clearing the wild land and building the house and barns. He became in course of time one of the most prosperous farmers and business men of the county in his day. He built the first carding mill in Lewis County and operated it successfully for several years.
During the War of 1812 he served in the American army. He was a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in his later years a Republican in politics. He married, August 13, 1809, Diane Doty, born September 3, 1794, died December 5, 1829. (See Doty VI). Children, born on the old Rice homestead at Lowville: 1. Sophronia, September 27, 1810; married, October 30, 1832, Seymour Hitchcock. 2. Warren D., August 10, 1812. 3. Job S., August 21, 1814. 4. Willard, April 3, 1816, married Elizabeth McDowell, July 7, 1840. 5. Seymour, February 7, 1819. 6. James Harvey, August 8, 1821; married, Harriet A. Doty, January 18, 1845. 7. Clarissa M., December 7, 1824; married Chester Shumway, October 5, 1842. 8. Charles s., mentioned below.
(IX) Charles S., son of Abel Rice, was born on the old Rice homestead, February 7, 1827, died December 16, 1902. He attended the district schools and Lowville Academy, and later he taught the district schools of the vicinity during the winter terms. He worked on the farm during his boyhood and succeeded his father as owner. He made a specialty of dairy farming and employed the most modern method and appliances in his work. He contributed the results of his own experiments, research and experience to the agricultural journals of the state from time to time, and for many years prepared the Lewis County crops report for the New York state bulletins. He was one of the most prominent farmers of the county; a man of sterling integrity and uprightness, possessing the respect and confidence of the entire community. In 1842 he joined the Methodist Episcopal Church and at one time served on the official board. He was a trustee of Lowville Academy. In politics a republican, he was a superintendent of the poor of the town, and for nine years on the board of assessors. He married, January 9, 1849, Elizabeth, born August 10, 1830, died April 9, 1906, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Snell) Louckes. Children: 1. Helen, born November 14, 1849; married Walter A. Ling, of Glenfield. 2. Leonard C., February 18, 1851, mentioned below. 3. Mary D., September 3, 1858, married William House, of Houseville, New York, now of Livingston, Montana.
(X) Leonard C., only son of Charles S. Rice was born on the old Rice homestead near the village of Lowville, February 18, 1851. He was educated in the district schools and Lowville Academy. He worked on the farm with his father and continued farming on the same progressive methods that had made his father successful, when he became the owner after his father died. He has kept up with the progress in agriculture and continued the improvements. He is a dairy farmer and has a herd of Holsteins that product ten thousand pounds of milk per cow annually. He has made the new methods Pay and takes rank among the most prosperous as well as the most enterprising farmers of the county. He is a Republican in politics and a Methodist Episcopal in religion. He has been a member of the official board of the church. He married November 13, 1872, Alice D., born In Lewis County, January 23, 1853, died March 18, 1903, daughter of Deacon Dennis and Jane (Galloway) Johnson. Children: 1. Charles Johnson, born on the homestead, August 25, 1877; educated at Lowville Academy; his father's assistant on the farm; married, April 15, 1908, Nina Lucille, daughter of Frank W. Arthur. 2. Vera A., July 26, 1880. 3. Clara, April 15, 1884; graduate of Syracuse University; teacher two years in the Canton high school. 4. Albert I., August 15, 1891, died October 3, 1907.
(The Doty Line)
The surname Doty was variously spelled Dotey, Doten, Doton, Dolton, Dowty, and the similar surname Doughty is found at an early date in Plymouth colony, where Francis Doughty from Bristol, England, settled at Taunton as early as 1639, and James Doughty settled at Scituate before 1649. The original of the name has not been satisfactorily settled, but there is reason to believe that the family had been in England several generations before the sailing of the "Mayflower."
(I) Edward Doty, immigrant, was one of the Pilgrim fathers. He came in the "Mayflower" in the employ of Stephen Hopkins. He had been apprenticed to a London tanner and was called servant, meaning apprentice, in the Plymouth records. Doty was among the signers of the famous Compact drawn and executed on board the "Mayflower" at Plymouth. He was of the party that set forth to explore the country, December 6, 1620. That Doty and his fellow-apprentices were not at that time thoroughly Puritanic in their views may be judged from the fact that they fought a duel. But a small part of the English people had come to disapprove of the duel, but the Pilgrim fathers saw to punish the combatants. They fought with swords and daggers and one was wounded in the hand, the other in the thigh. They were adjudged by the whole company "to have their head and feet tied together and so to be for twenty-four hours, without meat and drink, which was begun to be inflicted, but within an house, because of their great pains, at their own and their masters' humble request, upon promise of better carriage, they are released by the governor." His later disputes he took to court, and we find his name appearing often as plaintiff or defendant in the civil court. In 1624 he was granted land on Watson Hill, Plymouth, for a home lot. He had joined the church and was admitted a freeman before March 7, 1636-37. One of the first deed at Plymouth on record is dated July 12, 1637, Edward Doty to Richard Derby, signs with a mark. He had many real estate transactions, and his rates show that he was in late life a man of property. His occupation is given as planter, indicating that he did not find much opportunity to follow his trade. In 1652 he as one of the purchasers of the Dartmouth tract. The name of his first wife is unknown. Governor Bradford tells us that Faith Clarke, daughter of Thurston Clarke, was his second wife. They were married At Plymouth, January 6, 1634-35. He died at Plymouth, August 23, 1655, and proved will was dated May 20, 1655, and proved November 21, 1655, bequeathing to his wife and children, mentioning Edward only by name. His wife, Faith, married (second) march 14, 1666, John Phillips, of Plymouth. The oldest house in Plymouth is the Doten house; the oldest wharf was named for Doty-Doten. Faith Clarke was born in 111619, daughter of Thurston and Faith Clarke, they came from Ipswich, Suffolk, England, in the ship "Francis" in 1634. His name is also spelled Tristram Clarke. Children of second wife: Edward, mentioned below' John, 1639-40; Thomas; Samuel; Desire, 1645; Elizabeth; Isaac; February 8, 1648-49; Joseph, April 30, 1651; Mary.
(II) Edward (2), son of Edward (1) Doty, was born at Plymouth in 1637. He was a seaman. He had various grants of land at Plymouth and at Halifax, Massachusetts. He served on various juries; was admitted a freeman in June, 1689. He was a man of high character, intelligence and thrift. He was drowned February 8, 1689-90, with his son John and Elkanah Watson, while trying to enter Plymouth harbor. He married, February 25, 1662-63, Sarah, born at Plymouth in 1645, daughter of John and Patience and sister of Elder Thomas Faunce. She married (second) April 26, 1693, John Buck, of Scituate, whither she went to live. The Doty estate was distributed by agreement, December 3, 1696. Children: 1. Edward, May 20, 1664. 2. Sarah. 3. June (twin), July 9, 1671. Martha (twin), July 8, 1671. 4. Elizabeth, December 22, 1673. 5. Patience, July 7, 1676. 6. Mercy, February 6, 1678. 7. Samuel, May 17, 1681, mentioned below. 8. Mercy, September 23, 1684. 9. Benjamin, May 30, 1689.
(III) Captain Samuel, son of Edward (2) Doty, was born at Plymouth, May 17, 1681, died January 26, 1750. His father was drowned when he was a young lad, and Thomas Faunce and John Doty were appointed his guardians. He was a mariner. He sold his property at Plymouth in 1705 to his brother-in-law, Captain James Warren. He removed to Saybrook, Connecticut, in 1703. In 1708 he bought a home lot at Saybrook Point for sixty pounds, and afterward acquired much land in that town. He traded with the Barbadoes and West Indies and was a prominent merchant. His new sloop, "Six Friends", was impressed for naval purposes by the government in 1710. In October, 1727, he was chosen captain of the train band; he was a member of the Connecticut general assembly in 1732-37. An oil painting of Captain Samuel and another of his daughter have been preserved and are now owned by Rev. William d. Doty, a descendant. He had a cooper shop at Saybrook Point. He married, at Saybrook, December 3, 1706, Anne, born at Saybrook, August 2, 1687, daughter of Rev. Thomas and Esther (Hosmer) Buckingham, the latter a daughter of Thomas Hosmer. Anne Doty died at Saybrook, December 16, 1745. Rev. Thomas Buckingham, of Welsh parents, was minister at Saybrook from 1670 to April 1, 1709, nearly sixty-three years; one of the founders of Yale College and a fellow from 1700 to 1709; a leader of the Puritans for many years. Captain Doty and wife are buried side by side at Saybrook and their gravestones of red sandstone are still standing. Children: 1. Sarah, born November 18, 1708. 2. Samuel, mentioned below.
(IV) Samuel (2), son of Captain Samuel (1) Doty, was born at Saybrook, June 17, 1712, died at Deep River, Middlesex County, Connecticut, December 16, 1751. He is buried in the old Saybrook burying ground near his father. He graduated at Yale College in the class of 1733. In 1738 he received from his father a farm at Deep River, and the house he built upon this land is still standing and was lately occupied by lineal descendants. He married, April 3, 1733, Margeria, born at Saybrook, July 14, 1708, daughter of John Jr., and Mary (Jones) Parker, the latter a daughter of Lieutenant Samuel Jones. She died in 1785 at Deep River. A string of gold beads and an old portrait of Margeria are now in the possession of Mrs. Julia N. d. Harvey, of Saybrook. The portrait is almost a duplicate of that owned by Rev. William d. Doty, of Rochester, New York. Margeria joined the church November 27, 1774; here estate was administered by her son Samuel. Children: 1. Sarah, born at Saybrook, December 20, 1733. 2. Samuel, mentioned below. 3. Ann, born 1738, died August 28, 1758. 4. John, baptized March 7, 1742; soldier in the Revolution; confined in the British prison ships, New York.
(V) Samuel (3), son of Samuel (2) Doty, was born at Saybrook in 1736, in the part now called Deep River. He lived on the homestead with his mother after his father died, and followed the trade of carpenter and nillwright. He was a soldier in the Revolution, a sergeant in Captain John Ely's company, Colonel Samuel Holden's regiment (Sixth) at the siege of Boston Until December, 1775; also in Captain Lanthrop Allen's company, Colonel Samuel Elmore's regiment, in 1776, and was station in Tryon County, New York, at Fort Dayton, German Flats; in 1780 he was ensign of the Seventh Connecticut Regiment, colonel William Worthington, of Saybrook; detached an appointed ensign of Captain Jacob Whitmore's company, Lieutenant colonel Barzillai Beebe's regiment, and continued in the service until October 17, 1780; also ensign in Captain James Smith's company, Colonel William Mead's regiment. He returned to Deep River after the war, and soon afterward removed to Stephentown, Rensselaer County, New York, whither several sons and relatives had already located.
He had a grist mill there. He also loved at Nassau and Brainard in the same county, and let in Albany County in the towns of Westerlo and Berne. In 1810 with his son Ethan he was living at Rensselearville, Albany County, and both died there. He was a tall and powerful man, a skilled craftsman, kind neighbor and greatly beloved by his family. he married, in 1758, Mercy Doty, of Saybrook, daughter of Benjamin and Hester (Bemer) Doty, a distant relative. She was an exceedingly active and energetic woman of great intelligence, probity and strength of character, a worthy wife and devoted mother. Children born at Saybrook: 1. Samuel, 1759, took part in the battles of Germantown and Monmouth and wintered at Valley Forge; a pensioner. 2. John, October 26, 1761. 3. Anna, 1764. 4. Danforth, March 24, 1767. 5. Warren, April 23, 1768. 6. Sarah, 1771. 7. William, July 18, 1774. 8. Ethan Allen, August 18, 1776. 9. George Washington, July 4, 1782. 10. Mercy, died aged eighteen years.
(VI) Warren, son of Samuel (3) Doty, was born at Saybrook, April 23, 1768. He was a farmer, an early settler at Martinsburg, Lewis County, New York, and he died there in 1807, but was buried at Lowville. He married at Stephentown, New York, Sarah Wood, born at Cherry Valley, New York, May 13, 1772, died at Spafford, Onondaga County, New York, July 31, 1862. Children, born at Lowville: 1. Reuben, November 5, 1792. 2. Diana, September 3, 1794, married Abel Rice (See Rice VIII). 3. Silas, September 13, 1796, died 1807. 4. Willard, July 4, 1798. 5. Mercy, born at Richfield, Otsego County, November 8, 1806.
RICE. John Rice, pioneer ancestor of the branch of the Rice family here under consideration, was born in Bavaria, 1807, died October 16, 1896. He emigrated to the United States in 1844, and the following year was united in marriage to Louise Beaum in Schenectady, New York. Desiring to purchase some land at a low rate, he journeyed north, going by stage from Rome to Lowville, and the route from New Bremen village to Beach Hill, where they finally settled, was only a trail through the woods. Here they endured all the hardships and privations of the first settlers, but they cleared and improved the land, erected substantial buildings, and by thrift, perseverance and industry accumulated a conformable competence for their declining years. He was a man of strict integrity and sturdy honesty, and he laid the foundation for a life of usefulness, which his children have followed. His wife, who was a helpmeet in every sense of the word, died April 13, 1902. Among their children was Philip A., see forward.
Philip A., son of John and Louise (Beaum) Rice, was born at New Bremen, New York, March 26, 1860. He acquired a practical education in the common schools of the neighborhood, and after completion his studies worked for the farmers in that section. Concluding to make progressive farming his vocation in life, he first rented and then purchased one of the most productive and valuable farms in Lewis County. This farm, known as "Popular Grove," is nicely located in Lowville near the city. Mr. Rice has achieved a large degree of success owing to the fact that he gives his work that intelligent supervision which is so necessary. He makes a specialty of dairying and is continually striving to improve his methods. His buildings are modern in construction and equipped with all necessary appliances for the conduct of a successful business. The premises are neatly and tastefully laid out, and in all respects his farm is one of the most progressive and up-to-date in the state, showing clearly the land of a master. Mr. Rice is hospitable, generous and friendly, and enjoys the esteem and friendship of all with whom he is associated, being recognized as one of the substantial and influential men of the county.
He is a staunch Republican in his political views, and he and his family are regular attendants of the Lowville Methodist Church, in the work of which they take an active interest. Mr. Rice married, February 13, 1883, Ellen, born at Turin, new York, February 17, 1858, daughter of Louis and Louise (Kohler) Veomett. Children: 1. Louis John, born October 18, 1884, died May 25, 1896. 2. Ernest Arleigh, born June 5, 1893, Louis and Louise Veomett, were natives of Switzerland; shortly after their marriage they emigrated to the Untied States, settling at Turin, New York, where they prospered in their undertakings for a number of years; finally their health failed and they both died in the prime of life, leaving a number of small children.
DOIG. The surname Doig is of ancient Scotch origin. Soon after 1800 there came to this country from Perthshire, Scotland, Andrew, James, Walter and Paul Doig. Various countries of Europe have contributed many of their best sons to assist in the developing and building up to the free government of the United States, and no country has sent to our shores more sturdy, more hardy, more industrious or honest men than Scotland. The pioneers from that country and their descendants have been among the leaders in business circles of every community in which they are located.
(I) Andrew Doig was born in Perthshire, Scotland, and came soon after 1800 to this country with three brothers. He settled in Lowville, Lewis County, New York. At first the brothers located in Jackson, Washington County. He died in Lowville in 1855. He married Polly Thompson. Children: 1. Andrew. 2. James. 3. John, mentioned below.
(II) John, son of Andrew Doig, was born in Lowville, May 15, 1810. He attended the public schools and Lowville Academy. He followed the drug business with marked success throughout his active life. He enjoyed a large and flourishing trade and acquired a competence. He became the owner of a large tract of land in what is now the most valuable part of the village. He was an upright, high-minded citizen, and enjoyed the fullest confidence and esteem of his townsmen. In politics he was a Democrat, and though he never sought public office he accepted from time to time position of trust and honor in the town and village. He was trustee, treasurer and president of the village at various times. He was a man of great public spirit and possessed a great influence among his fellow citizens. He was a trustee of Lowville Academy, and for many years treasurer of the board. He was a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity and one of the first master of Lowville Lodge, No. 134, Free and Accepted Masons. He married, May 1, 1848, Maria, born at Lowville, November 24, 1824, daughter of Ziba and Lucy P. (Levenworth) Knox, granddaughter of Samuel Levenworth, who died in the service on the frontier during the War of 1812. Her father Ziba Knox, was born at Cavendish, Windsor County, Vermont, September 22, 1797, eldest son of Sylvanus Knox, of the same family as General Henry Knox, of Revolutionary fame. Until 1815 the almost unaided efforts of Ziba Knox were directed to the acquisition of a thorough English education in his native state; in 1812 he was fortunate in obtaining limited instruction in Latin from Rev. Jonathan Going, formerly professor of language in Brown University; he studied law in the offices of Hon. Charles Dayan, with who he was afterward in partnership; was admitted to practice in 1826; was a magistrate from January 1, 1835, until he died, a period of thirty-three years; in 1824 he was commissioned captain in the One Hundred and First New York Regiment, Twenty-sixth Brigade; in 1829,. He was elected inspector of the common schools of Lowville; in 1841 he was elected school commissioner, and from 1844 to 1857 he was superintendent of schools of Lowville; was also trustee of Lowville Academy, and a Free and Accepted Mason.
Children: 1. Elizabeth Knox, born November 27, 1824; married George W. Fowler. 2. Maria Knox, February 1, 1827; married John Doig, mentioned above. 3. John J. Knox, June 13, 1831. 4. Mary Jane Knox, July 28, 1834; married William Doig. 5. Charles Knox, September 24, 1836. 6. Julia E. Knox, March 31, 1839; married Joseph Fitzgerald. 7. James L. Knox, August 26, 1845. Children of John and Maria (Knox) Doig: 1. Frank C., born August 19, 1851; mentioned below. 2. Charles K., November 28, 1853.
(III) Frank Collins, son of John Doig, was born August 19, 1851, at Lowville. He attended the public schools and Lowville Academy, in which he ever afterward took a keen interest and to which he gave loyal support. After leaving school he went to Utica, where he worked as clerk in the drug store of Butler & Hamilton, and learned the business thoroughly. In 1874 he purchased the interests of F. P. Kirly in the firm of Kirly & Pelson, druggist at Lowville. This business was established by his father, John Doig. After a short time the firm became F. C. & C. K. Doig, the sons proving themselves worthy successors of their father in business. The store became the largest and most prosperous in this line in Lowville, and Mr. Doig took rank among the foremost business men of this section. In addition to his extensive drug business, Mr. Doig found time to engage in another enterprises of moment. He took an active part in the organization of the Asbestos Burial Casket Company, and was chairman of the executive committee and general business manager of that company. He was a charter member and first president of the Lowville Club from 1894 and 1899 inclusive, and did effective work in securing the funds for the building of the beautiful club house. He was an active member of the Masonic fraternity and passed through the chairs of the Lowville Lodge, No. 134, becoming worshipful master in 1876, and treasurer in 1879. In 1891 until the time of his death he was a trustee of the lodge. He was also high priest of Lowville Chapter, No. 223, Royal Arch Masons. He was a prominent member and liberal supporter of Trinity Church. He was one of the first board of water commissioners of the village, and one of the prime movers in securing the construction of the water works there. As a trustee of Lowville Academy he was for many years a zealous worker for that institution and keenly interested in public education. In business, in social life, in public affairs, he was distinguished by earnestness, enthusiasm and constant usefulness. He was eminently charitable, gibing quietly and freely to those whom he found in need, as well as to organizations for charity and benevolence. Perhaps no man in the town was ever mourned by a greater number of friends in all classes of society. His kindly manner, his sympathy and democracy made him one of the most approachable of men and bound to him a legion of intimate friends. He never assumed the possession of superior virtue and was altogether unconscious, apparently, of the great good he wrought in the community. His death was a great loss tot he municipality, for the welfare and development of which he worked so sincerely and determinedly. He loved his native town and missed no opportunity to contribute of his time and means to benefit the community.
Frank C. Doig, married, February 12, 1877, Kate, born at West Union, Fayette County, Iowa, daughter of Henry E. Jones. He died April 2, 1909. Children: 1. Julia, born October 22, 1881. 2. Maria, January 6, 1885.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.