Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
is strongly argued by Elias Loomis, LL. D., the eminent genealogist of
the family, that the Lomas (Loomis) family originated in Spain, that
four or five centuries later, perhaps earlier, on or more members of the
family became established in England, while others of the family found
their way into northern Italy. Loma, in Spanish, signifies a little hill, and Loomis is the plural of
loma, signifying hills.
In England the name became Lomax, then Lomas, finally Loomis. This reasoning enables him to trace to Lawrent Lomax, of eye, Suffolk county, England, 1651, who had a coat-of-arms thus described: "Ermine a greyhound, courant between three escallops, sable. Crest, a demi greyhound, argent, collard Gretes." Dr. Loomis places the coming of the first emigrant to England from Spain about the year 1400. From the fact that the names Lomis and Lomisville are applied to villages in Switzerland, he infers that persons of the same name migrated to that country from either Spain or England. Whatever may be the facts concerning the origin or English history of the family, the fact is indisputable that the founder of the family in America was Joseph Loomis.
(I) Joseph Loomis was born about 1590. He was a woolen draper of Braintree, Essex County, England. He sailed from London, April 11, 1638, in the ship "Ellen and Susan," and arrived at Boston, July 17, 1638. On February 2, 1640, according to the Windsor, Connecticut records, he had granted to him from the plantation twenty-one acres on the west side of the Connecticut river; also several tracts on the east side, partly from the town and partly by purchase. He is supposed to have arrived at Windsor in company with Rev. Ephraim Huet, August 17, 1639. His home was near the mouth of Farmington river, on the "Island," so called on account of its frequently being overflowed by the Connecticut freshets. He brought with him to Windsor five sons and three daughters. His wife died august 23, 1652. He died November 25, 1658. Children: 1. Joseph, married (first) Sarah Hill; (second) Mary Chauncey; he had twelve children, all born in England; he died June 26, 1687. 2. A daughter, who married Captain Nicholas Olmsted, of Hartford. 3. Elizabeth, married Josiah Hull, deputy to the general court in 1659-60-62; she was living in 1665. 4. Deacon John, deputy in 1666-67, and from 1675 to 1687, deacon of the church; he married Elizabeth Scott, of Hartford; thirteen children, noted in church and state. 5. Thomas, married (first) Hannah Fox; (second) Mary Judd; eleven children; he died August 28, 1689. 6. Nathaniel, married Elizabeth Moore; twelve children; died August 19, 1688. 7. Mary, married (first) John skinner; (second) Owen Tudor; she died august 19, 1680. 8. Lieutenant Samuel, see forward.
(II) Lieutenant Samuel, youngest child and fifth sons of Joseph Loomis, "the emigrant", was born in England, died in Westfield, Connecticut, October 1, 1689. He was lieutenant of militia, and removed to Westfield, Connecticut, between 1672 and 1675. He married, December 27, 1653, Elizabeth Judd, died May 7, 1696, daughter of Thomas Judd. Children: 1. Sergeant Samuel, died November 6, 1711; married Hannah, daughter of Thomas Hanchett, six children. 2. Elizabeth, married in 1673, Thomas Hanchett. 3. Ruth, married Benjamin Smith. 4. Sarah, married John Bissell. 5. Joanna, married Joseph Smith. 6. Benjamin, married Ann Fitch, left no issue. 7. Nehemiah, married Thankful Welten, six children. 8. William, see forward. 9. Philip, married Hannah ------------; removed to Simsbury, Connecticut; twelve children. 10. Mary, born august 16, 1678.
(III) William, eighth child and fourth son of Lieutenant Samuel and Elizabeth (Judd) Loomis in 1738. He married Martha Morley. She died February 22, 1753, aged seventy-one years. Children: 1. Martha, born February 24, 1704, died April, 1804, at Granby, Connecticut, aged one hundred years, two months. 2. Joshua, married Abigail Landon, ten children. 3. Benjamin, see forward. 4. Anna, August 27, 1710. 5. William, September 15, 1712; married Experience Smith, of Farmington, four children. 6. James, married Eunice Stricklen, and removed to Lanesboro, Massachusetts, in 1764.7. Thankful, November 19, 1716. 8. Jonathan, married Hannah Selden, and removed to West Springfield; eleven children. 9. Hezekiah, March 14, 1721. 10. Captain Noah, May 12, 1724; married Rhoda Clark; died August 9, 1808, in Southwick, Massachusetts; eight children.
(IV) Benjamin, third child and second son of William and Martha (Morley) Loomis, was born august 30, 1708. He removed to Southwick, Massachusetts, in 1773, and died in 1787. He married (first) Elizabeth Noble, in March, 1734; married (second) Rachel ---------. Children: 1. Benjamin, died in infancy. 2. Ann, born November 4, 1737. 3. Nehemiah, November 8, 1739; served in the Revolution from town of Southwick, Massachusetts; married Elizabeth Morley; eleven children. 4. Enos, married Eunice Noble, October 20, 1768; ten children; in 1794 he removed to North Granville, Washington County, New York, where he died December 2, 1817. 5. Lucy, married Matthew Laflew. 6. Elizabeth, married Tehan Noble. 7. Israel, married Abigail Saxton; ten children; he served in the Revolution from Southwick. 8. Amos, married Esther Stephens, October 6, 1768; one child, he served in the Revolution from Southwick, and died before 1786. 9. Benjamin, see forward.
(V) Benjamin, youngest child and sixth son of Benjamin and his second wife, Rachel Loomis, was born September 5, 1750. He removed with his father to Southwick, and later to Remsen, Oneida County, New York, where he died in 1814. (Three of name Benjamin Loomis served in the Revolution from Massachusetts, and one of them may have been this Benjamin). He married Lucy Leonard, of Springfield, November 21, 1771, died 1827. (Benjamin Loomis of West Springfield is one of the three noted pervasively). Children: 1. Cynthia, born May 8, 1784; married George W. Haight, died March, 1813, at Pompey, New York. 2. Solomon, see forward. 3. Sarah, died in Rock County, Illinois, 1865; married John Kent, who died 1807. 4. David, born February 8, 1789, died September 27, 1873, at Cohocton, Steuben County, New York; married Orpha Haight, November 29, 1821, and had eight children. 5. Benjamin, born 1791; married Martha Denslow; removed to Lenawee County, Michigan; two children. 6. Leonard, born 1793; married Lucy Scramm, and removed to Rock County, Illinois.
(VI) Solomon, son of Benjamin (2) and Lucy (Leonard) Loomis, was born July 12, 1786, in Remsen, Oneida County, New York. He removed to Leyden, Lewis county, where he died May 30, 1865. He married (first) Lois Walker, March 10, 1807. She died February 2, 1836, aged forty-nine years. He married (second) Lavinia Roberts, October 22, 1839. She died February, 1868. Children: 1. Elizabeth W., died in childhood. 2. Solomon (2), see forward. 3. Emory, born august 17, 1811; married Nancy Lane, 1831; he died July 25, 1842; she died in 1858; they removed to Sandwich, Illinois. 4. Sarah, February 17, 1913; married John V. Lane, born February 8, 1829, they resided at Talcottville, Lewis county, New York. 5. A child died in infancy. 6. Dana F., born December 25, 1820; married Elizabeth Lane, December 1, 1841; they were of Collinsville, Lewis County, New York. 7. Lois E, married James Falen, in 1845; they removed to New York City. 8. Clarissa, married John Watson, and removed to Humboldt County, Iowa. 9. Alice, married Elmer Patchin, and removed to Phoenix, New York, where she died. 10. Horace, died in infancy.
(VIII) Solomon (2), son of Solomon (1) and Lois (Walker) Loomis, was born June 4, 1809, died June 6, 1855. He was a pioneer farmer of Lewis County, and there aided in creating homes and farms from a hitherto wilderness. He married, March 19, 1833, Mary Clark, born June 28, 1813, died September 16, 1888. Children; 1. Jared, born February 19, 1835, died February 7, 1807; married, March 21, 1859, Mary A. Johnson, born May 4, 1839, died May 7, 1884; children: i. an infant un-named, ii. Howard S., born June 3, 1874. 2. Leonard Solomon, see forward.
(IX) Leonard Solomon, son of Solomon (2) and Mary (Clark) Loomis, was born January 21, 1838, ina log cabin in the town of Leyden, Lewis County, New York, about two miles from what is known locally as "Thayer's Hill". Here he resided until he was nine years of age, when his father [purchased the farm where he now resides, and removed there. His father died in 1855. Leonard S. was then seventeen years of age, and had attended Whitestown Seminary for two winter terms. He taught school for a time in Madison and Oneida counties, later returning to the farm in Leyden and assisting his brother Jared in its cultivation. The farm then contained about sixty-five acres. Purchasing Jared's interest, he added to it tract by tract until he has two hundred and sixty acres, well improved and stocked. He made a specialty of dairy farming, and engaged extensively in the manufacture of cheese, being sole owner of two factories and half-owner of a third. He was a leading spirit in the Leyden Association of Cheese Manufacturers, and for several years secretary, treasurer and salesman for the association, and salesman for the Sugar River factory. He is a successful man of substantial means, accumulated by devotion to business and good management. His manly integrity, liberality and genial, pleasing manner have been potent factors in his success. His standing in his community as a business man, neighbor, public official and friend is of the highest. He is a lifelong Democrat, and has always taken a prominent part in town and county affairs. He was appointed supervisor to fill out the unexpired term of Fred Kent, deceased, and at the next election was chosen for the same office, serving six years. He married, January 10, 1877, Rosalie Eugenia, daughter of Andrew J. and Anna (Rundge) Collins. (See Collins). Their children: 1. Collins Leonard, born March 13, 1878; graduate of Port Leyden high school, Lowville Academy, Fairfield, New York Military Academy, and Albany Business College: employed in the office of the United States Wood Preservation Company, of New York City. He married, Marie, born in Germany, June 27, 1886, daughter of Carl Emil and Augusta (Schiller) Neiper. 2. J. Clark, see forward. 3. Florence Augusta, August 17, 1882, graduated from Port Leyden high school, 1900, Lowville Academy, and entered Syracuse University, where she was graduated Ph. B., class of 1903. 4. Gertrude, October 13, 1883; educated Port Leyden high school, and Cortland Normal School; a teacher in New York City. 5. Hulda Mary, October 12, 1886; graduate of Port Leyden high school, and spent two year at Syracuse University; she went to Madison, Wisconsin, and was graduated from the University of Wisconsin, A. B., class of 1900.
(X) J. Clark, second son of Leonard Solomon and Rosalie Eugenia (Collins) Loomis, was born in the town of Leyden, Lewis County, New York, May 9, 1879. He was educated at Port Leyden high school, Lowville Academy, and Fairfield, New York, Military Academy. He is associated with his father in the management of the farm. He is a Democrat, in politics, and was town clerk of Leyden and supervisor in 1909. He belongs to Port Leyden Lodges, F. and A. M. and I. O. O. F. He married, October 10, 1905, Lulu Mary, born April 19, 1883, daughter of Horace and Ada (Clay) Wilcox. Children: 1. Leonard Wilcox, born July 13, 1907. 2. Mary Eudora, November 3, 1908.
CAPRON. The first Capron in America was Banfield, who came from England, supposedly from Chester, in the northern part adjoining Wales. He was of Attleboro, Massachusetts, was thrice married, and died August 20, 1752, aged ninety-two years.
He married (first) ----------------, Callender, of Rehoboth, Massachusetts, (second) Elizabeth Blackington, who died May 10, 1735; (third) John Daggett, of Attleboro. There were twelve children: 1. Banfield. 2. Joseph. 3. Edward 4. Walter. 5. John. 6. Jonathan. 7. Betsey. 8. Mary. 9. Hannah. 10. Margaret. 11. Sarah. 12. Another daughter.
(II) John, son of Banfield Capron, the emigrant was the fifth child. He was a seafaring man and his family lived in the southern part of Cumberland, Rhode Island. He died of a fever and left a widow and three children.
(III) John (2), son of John (1) Capron, was born in Cumberland, Rhode Island. He married and had issue.
(IV) John (3), son of John (2) Capron, was born in Rhode Island about 1770. He was a farmer of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He married Jemima Martin. Children: 1. Henry, see forward. 2. Colvin. 3. Philancy. 4. Oliver. 5.Philo. 6. Lucinda. 7. Mareness. 8. James.
(V) Henry, eldest child of John (3) and Jemima (Martin) Capron, was born in 1799, and died 1875. He was a farmer, and served in the United States Army during the War with Great Britain, 1812-14. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a man of deep religious convictions. He was a Whig politically, and an earnest patriotic citizen. He married, in 1826, Betsey, born June 26, 1802, daughter of Samuel and Betsey (Putnam) Kent. Children: 1. Jane. 2. James. 3. Charles. 4. Albert. 5. Merritt N., see forward. 6. Smith. 7. Almira. 8. Alonzo.
(VI) Rev. Merritt N., fifth child of Henry and Betsey (Kent) Capron, was born in Boonville, New York, October 20, 19836. He was educated in the public schools of that early period, later attended Lowville Academy, from which he was graduated in 1857. Also took a course at Whitestown Seminary, graduating, and later in life becoming one of the trustees of that institution. He began teaching, continuing for two and a half years. in 1860 he was elected school commissioner of Fourth District, Oneida County; was re-elected in 1863, holding the office for six consecutive years. At the outbreak of the Civil War he was appointed enrolling officer and special deputy, also clerk to the provost marshal. After the war he began farming and engaged in that occupation until 1871. He prepared for the ministry and was admitted to Northern New York conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the year 1875. His first charge was Port Leyden, where he preached three years; his next appointment was Rodman, Jefferson County, where he remained three years; next charge was at Liberty Street, Rome, New York, from there going to Bangor, Franklin County. He experienced some changes in his theological opinions and, severing his connection with the Methodist Episcopal Church he joined the Wesleyan Methodist Society; preaching for them one year. He then retired from active ministerial work, returning to his farm, where he still resides. His labors in the ministry covered a period of twelve years. He has been a Mason for many years, and is one of the oldest past masters of that order now living. He is a member of Baron Steuben Lodge, No. 264, of which he was elected worshipful master in 1864. He is a Royal Arch Mason of Lowville Chapter. He is also connected with the Patrons of Husbandry, and is one of the trustees of Port Leyden Grange.
He married, at Leyden, Lewis County, New York, February 1, 1859, Angeline L., born in Leyden, New York, January 4, 1839, daughter of Harvey Dewey, a farmer of Lewis County, and a veteran of the War of 1812. Her mother was Jerusha Jenks., Harvey Dewey was a descendant of the Dewey family of New England. Children of Mr. and Mrs. Dewey: 1. Sylvester H. 2. Alonzo. 3. Scott. 4. Samantha. 5. Chester. 6. Eli.
7. Angeline. 8. Madison. 9. Caius. 10. Cassius. Children of Merritt N. and Angeline L. (Dewey) Capron: 1. Minnie, born September 18, 1864, died December 23, 1890, at Rome, New York; educated at Rome Academy; married, November 6, 1883, Edwin B. Smith; child, Edna Minnie Smith. 2. Sylvester, December 20, 1865; educated at Rome Academy; married Ione Drake and has Harold Drake, Helen and Lucille. 3. Jessie Dewey, educated at Rome Academy; Malone and Boonville, New York, high schools; entered Cornell University from which she was graduated, class of 1890. She taught after leaving Cornell at East Rome, Rome Academy, and Oneonta State Normal at Oneonta, New York. She married, September 5, 1900, Frederick W. Phisterer, captain in the United States Army, now stationed at Fort Hamilton, New York. Child: Isabelle Phisterer.
HINTON. Leonard Hinton was born and educated in England. He came when as a young man to Montreal, Canada, and afterward to Albany, New York. he followed his trade of shoemaking for two years at Albany. He lived for a short time at Rome, New York, and in 1842 located at Constableville, New York, where he opened a boot and shoe store and remained in business the rest of his life. He married, at Albany, Mary Aikens, born in Ireland, daughter of Michael and Mary Aikens. She had brothers Patrick, John, Peter, Michael and William Aikens, and sisters Ann and Elizabeth Aikens. Children of Leonard and Mary Hinton: 1. William. 2. Helen, married Michael Donnelly, who died at Minneapolis, Minnesota, where they settled. 3. Susan, married Charles Myers; their daughter Nellie lives in Minneapolis. 4. Harvey John, mentioned below. 5. Francis, married Frances, daughter of Chester Munn (See Munn); Frances died suddenly, leaving one young daughter, and he then went to Minneapolis, where the child died, and he afterward died suddenly of heart disease, like the wife and daughter. 6. Mary, married Fred Taylor; resides at 3208 Aldrich Avenue, South Minneapolis. 7. Agnes, married Henry Tippets, 46 Cottage Grove, Utica, New York. 8. James, married Caroline Halsted.
(II) Harvey John, son of Leonard Hinton, was born at Constableville, New York, March 5, 1844. He attended the public schools of his native town. In 1861, at the age of seventeen years, he enlisted in Company C, Fifty-seventh New York Regiment, and was mustered into service in October. The regiment was nine hundred strong, under the command of Colonel S. K. Zook. It was presented with a stand of colors by Charles A. Arthur, afterward president of the United States, in behalf of the merchants of New York city, when the regiment was at New Dorp, Staten Island. About November 1, 1861, the regiment went to Washington and joined the Second Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, in the command of General Sumner. The men received their first camp instruction at Camp California, two miles west of Alexandria, Virginia, where they remained until the following March, then moved with the army under General McClellan to Manassas Junction. Leaving the army at this point, the regiment formed part of a reconnoitering party under General Stoneman and proceeded to Warrenton, Virginia, and, according to his official report of the movement to the War Department afterward, the commander did not look for the return except as prisoners of war. The regiment took part in the Peninsular campaign from beginning to end, under McClellan, Burnside, Hooker, Meade and Grant. At the last of the war, part of the regiment re-enlisted in the Sixty-first New York Regiment. The regiment to which Mr. Hinman (?) belonged took part in the following twenty-four battles: Fair Oaks, Gaines Mill, Savage Station, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Bristow Station, Mine Run, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Robertson Tavern, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Weldon Railroad.
First Deep Bottom, Fort Hill, Reams Station, Hatcher's Run, Crow's House, Five Forks, Sailors Creek, and eleven skirmishes of more or less importance, losing in all 431 killed and wounded, including four commanding officers. Mr. Hinton was wounded at Fredericksburg, and at the Wilderness. At the end of the war he returned to his native town and was admitted to partnership in the boot and show business of his father, with his brother Francis, and has been a prominent and successful business man since that time. In politics he is a Republican. In January, 1898, he was appointed postmaster at Constableville, by President McKinley, and he has been continued in that office to the entire satisfaction of the government and the public to the present time. He was a member of Post Mullen, G. A. R., until it disbanded, on account of lack of members due to losses by death. He is a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church, and has been vestryman for a number of years.
He married, October 25, 1875, at Constableville, Rachel Marcy, daughter of George and Madelaine (Helert) Marcy, died February 5, 1898. He married (second) Anna L., sister of his first wife. Children: 1. Anna, born May 19, 1877; married Nelson P. Smith, of Hartford, Connecticut; children: i. Milton Smith, born December 18, 1899, ii. Maynard Smith, April 2, 1903. 2. Blanche, born May 29, 1882; married Guy P. Wilcox, and had Keith Wilcox.
SUNDERHAFT. Charles Frederick Sunderhaft, an active and prominent factor in the business circles of Lowville, aiding materially in its development, upbuilding and progress, is a native of that city, born October 8, 1877, son of John Baptist and Eva (Hartman) Sunderhaft, and grandson of Andrus and Barbara Sunderhaft.
(I) John Baptist Sunderhaft was born at Bamberg, kingdom of Bavaria, Germany, March 20, 1821. He received his education at the Bamberg University, from which institution he graduated with honor, and later learned the trade of glazier, and being a natural mechanic, became an expert in the art. In 1854 having decided to test the opportunities for business in the new world, he emigrated thither and located in Lowville, Lewis County, New York, where he followed his trade, achieving a certain degree of success. He was a thorough gentleman in every sense of the word, courteous and refined, and he won and retained the respect and esteem of the community wherein the greater part of his life was spent. He married, at Croghan, New York, July 10, 1854, Eva Hartman, born at Bamberg, kingdom of Bavaria, Germany, May 8, 1831, daughter of Thomas and Ursula Hartman. Children: 1. Mary Margaretta Josephine, born May 22, 1855, at Lowville, New York, died December 9, 1864. 2. John Anselm Paul, May 22, 1856; married, November 10, 1880, Jennie Cavanaugh. 3. Sebastian, April 27, married, 1895, Libbie Roe. 4. Maria Augusta, April 2, 1860, died 1895; married, March 14, 1883, Frank C. Farmington. 5. Lena Ursula, March 22, 1862; died January 21, 1904. 6. Anna, March 4, 1864, died August 19, 1864. 7. Anna Maria Eva Lilly, august 14, 1865; married, November 10, 1886, Carl Arnst Jonas. 8. John Baptist, October 2, 1868; married, October 2, 1897, Anna Greer. 9. George L., July 8, 1871; married, May 3, 1892, Mary E. Kent. 10. Frederick Adam, July 29, 1873, died July 13, 1904; married, March 2, 1894, Luella Sturtze. 11. Charles Frederick, see forward. John Baptist Sunderhaft died August 20, 1904, and his wife passed away January 21, 1903.
(II) Charles Frederick, youngest son of John Baptist and Eva (Hartman) Sunderhaft, acquired his education in the graded schools of Lowville, and after completing his studies he served an apprenticeship of three years at the trade of cabinetmaker with Haherer Brothers, furniture manufacturers, of Lowville, New York, and for seven years thereafter worked as a journeyman at his trade.
In 1902 he engaged in the business of contractor and builder, and in connection therewith deals quite extensively in real estate and lumber. He is a skillful mechanic and each contract entrusted to him receives his personal attention, thus insuring good workmanship, as he is most painstaking and thorough in every detail. His business has increased in volume and importance during the passing years, and by honorable dealings he holds the confidence of all those with whom he has business dealings, and the esteem and respect of all with whom he is brought in contract. Personally Mr. Sunderhaft is a high-minded and well-bred gentleman of marked ability and thorough culture, and as a citizen he is public-spirited and progressive. He is a member of Lowville Methodist church, taking an active interest in all things pertaining to its welfare, a member of Lowville lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, No. 134, and a member of the Order of the Eastern Star of Lowville.
WILCOX. The Wilcox family is of Saxon origin, and was seated at Bury St. Edmunds, county Suffolk, England, before the Norman Conquest. Sir John Dugdale, in the visitation of the county of Suffolk, mentions fifteen generations of the family previous to the year 1600. This traces the lineage back to the year 1200, when the surname came into use as an inherited family. On old records the spellings Wilcox, Wilcocks, Wilcoxson, and Willcox are used interchangeably.
(I) William Wilcox, or Wilcoxson, as commonly spelled, was born in 1601 at St. Albans, Hertfordshire, England. He came to this country when thirty-four years old in the ship "Planter," having a certificate from the minister at St. Albans. Another William Wilcox, settled at Cambridge, Massachusetts Bay, and became a proprietor of the town, and a town officer. He was admitted a freeman, May 25, 1636; died November 28, 1653, leaving a will that mentions various relative and friends; William Wilcox, of this sketch, was probably related. He was admitted a freeman in Massachusetts, December 7, 1636. He was a linen weaver by trade. He removed to Stratford, Connecticut, in 1639; was a representative to Hartford, 1647, died 1652. He married Margaret -------------, born 1611. Children: 1. John, born 1633. 2. Joseph, 1635. 3. Samuel, died March 12, 1713; sergeant; lived at Windsor and at Meadow Plain, Sunsbury. 4. Obadiah, born 1641, died 1713; settled in Guilford, Connecticut. 5. Timothy, died June 13, 1713; deacon; married Johanna Birdsay, December 28, 1664. 6. Elizabeth, married, April 16, 1663, Henry Stiles, of Windsor, Connecticut. 7. Hannah, married, March 17, 1664, Lieutenant Daniel Hayden. 8. Sarah, died 1691; married, March 7, 1665, John Meigs, of Madison, Connecticut. 9. Phebe, married, December 11, 1669, John Birdsey, of Stratford.
(II) John, son of William Wilcox, was born in 1633 or 1634. He married (first) a daughter of Daniel Titterton; (second) March 19, 1662-63, Elizabeth, widow of John Welles. Children: 1. John, born March, 1657, mentioned below. 2. William, 1659. 3. Patience, February 6, 1663; married Ebenezer Blakeman. 4. Hannah, February 14, 1664-65; married Joseph Booth. 5. Elizabeth, July, 1666; married Barnabas Bees. 6. Mary, April, 1668.
(III) John (2), son of John (1) Wilcox, was born March, 1657. He married Elizabeth Timlinson, June, 1707. Children: 1. John, mentioned below. 2. Timothy, 1711.
(IV) Lieutenant John (3), son of John (2) Wilcox, married (first) March 19, 1703, Sarah Curtis; (second) Deborah Brinsmade, January 13, 1714-15. He died September 12, 1748. Children: 1. Josiah, born 1705, mentioned below. 2. Timothy. 3. Elizabeth, September, 1715. 4. Hannah, October, 1716. 5. David, April 4, 1718. 6. Rebecca, March 5, 1721. 7. Ruth, November 11, 1723. 8. Samuel, October 16, 1725. 9. Ephraim, April 3, 1728. 10. Deborah, April 5, 1731.
(V) Josiah, son of Lieutenant John (3) Wilcox, was born in 1705. He married, June, 1735, Elizabeth, daughter of Josiah and Martha Hubbell. She was born in 1714. Children: 1. Ruth, born April 15, 1736. 2. Elizabeth, November 26, 1737. 3. Huldah, October 14, 1739. 4. Martha, August 26, 1741. 5. Elisha, May 17, 1743. 6. Abiah, April 19, 1745. 7. David, January 14, 1746-47, mentioned below. 8. John, November 24, 1748. 9. Gideon, August 24, 1750. 11. Ann, August 19, 1752. 12. Josiah, August 18, 1755. 13. Grace, 1756.
(VI) David, son of Josiah Wilcox, was born January 14, 1746-47. He lived at White Hills, Connecticut. Children: 1. Nathan J. 2. David. 3. Levi, mentioned below. 4. Joseph.
(VII) Dr. Levi, son of David Wilcox, according to the best proof obtainable, was born n 1773, in Connecticut, died at Ticonderoga, new York, September 15, 1837, aged sixty-four years. He was killed b y a fall from his horse. He was the first practicing physician in the town of Ticonderoga, and was eminent for his skill, and devoted to his patients. He married Abigail Thompson, who lived to the good old age of eighty-six years. Children: 1. Hamilton. 2. Fortis. 3. Rollin. 4. Philo S. 5. Lucretia. 6. Maria. 7. William K.
(VIII) William K., son of Dr. Levi Wilcox, was born at Ticonderoga, February 11, 1826, died October 10, 1882. He had a common school education. He learned the trade of carpenter and house painter, and was a workman of exceptional skill, working at these trades most of his active life. In politics he was a Republican. He was a member of the old Fort Frederick Lodge, Odd Fellows, of Ticonderoga, and of the Congregational church. He married, in 1854, Cornelia P. Treadway, born at Chazy, New York, November 28, 1827, died at Ticonderoga, December 18, 1903, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Miller) Treadway, granddaughter of Jonathan Treadway, who lived to the great age of one hundred and one years; served in the Revolution and crossed the Delaware with Washington. Children of William Treadway: 1. Jane. 2. William. 3. Harriet. 4. Daniel. 5. Cornelia P. 6. Mildred. 7. Wesley. 8. Melvina. 9. Wealthy. William Treadway died February 22, 1861, aged sixty-six. He was a manufacturer of cloth at Chazy. Children of William K. and Cornelia P. Wilcox: 1. Effie C., died February 9, 1890. 2. Frank E., born March 24, 1858; merchant in Port Chester, New York; married Mary E. Sullivan: children: i. Milton, died October 25, 1895, ii. Herbert. 3. Myron James, mentioned below. 4. Elmer B., born June 22, 1862; real estate dealer at Newton, Massachusetts; married Lena Campbell, of Bangor, Maine, and had daughter Ethel.
(IX) Myron James, son of William K. Wilcox, was born at Ticonderoga, New York, November 12, 1859. He was educated there in the public schools. He became a clerk in the store of Rowell & Shattuck, general merchants, at Ticonderoga, and continued with the firm for a period of twelve years, from 1880 to 1892. He became bookkeeper and confidential man. He resigned to engage in business on his own account as a dealer in furniture and as an undertaker under the firm name of M. J. Wilcox & Company. He was in partnership with Mr. Gilligan and Mr. Stevens. Mr. Gilligan died in 1894, in which year the firm became Rowell & Wilcox, and this partnership continued until 1908, when Mr. Rowell retired, and since then Mr. Wilcox has been alone in the business. In politics he is a Republican. He has held the office of tax collector. He is a member of the board of trade and is vice-president of the Business Men's association. He belongs to Mr. Defiance Lodge, No. 794, Free and Accepted Masons; Ethan Allen Lodge, No. 630, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Rebekah Lodge, of the same order, and to the Maccabees.
In religion he is a Congregationalist. He bought his present residence on Lake George Avenue and Third Street in 1883 and has lived there since. He married, April 2, 1890, Etta May Lillie, of Putnam, New York, born July 3, 1867, daughter of David and Margaret (Maxwell) Lillie. Mr. Lillie was born June 17, 1825, died September 17, 1904. Mrs. Lillie was born July 24, 1833, at Putnam, New York. Mr. and Mrs. Wilcox have one child: Kirby David, born December 10, 1899.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.