Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
Tindale family is of English ancestry. John Tindale and Elizabeth Coates
(Scotch), of Durham, England. He was sent to America when a young man to
assist in the buildings of the LaChane Canal, being guaranteed
protection from the Indians by the English government. He settled in
Caughnawaga, Canada, and become a large contractor in the canal
enterprise; he afterward removed to Montreal, where he became a city
contractor. From Montreal he removed to Clintonville, Clinton County,
New York, and engaged with Saltus & Company to separate the stone
from the iron ore which supplied the largest Catlan forge in the United
States, then making charcoal iron blooms, or billets; this forge
consisted of sixteen fires and four hammers.
He married Mary Bowman (German extraction), of Isle la Motte, Vermont. Children: 1. Joseph. 2. Elizabeth. 3. Mary Ann. 4. John. 5. Jane. 6. James. He died July 24, 1853, near Clintonville, New York.
(II) John (2), son of John (1) Tindale, was born in Canada, and died near Clintonville, New York, August 14, 1864, aged forty-two years. He obtained his education in the public schools, and early in life began to work in the iron mines of northern New York. Later he became a contractor at the various iron mines of this section, particularly those at Winter Iron Mine, Clintonville, New York; Palmer Hill, New York; town of Black Brook; also at Schroon Lake, New York.
He married, Julia McSweeney, born at Mt. Pleasant, county Cork, Ireland, who came to America with her parents when an infant but six months old. Julia was daughter of Felix and Margaret (O'Callahan) McSweeney, and died March 11, 1878, near Clintonville, New York, at the age of fifty years. her mother, Margaret O'Callahan McSweeney lived to the advanced age of eighty years. Children: 1. John, born at Clintonville, New York, 1845. Killed by mine explosion at Park City, Utah. Married Ella Berryman, Georgetown, Colorado; children: i. John, ii. James, iii. Mary, iv. Carmie. 2. Thomas, born at Palmer Hill, New York, 1847; now largely engaged in the cultivation of cranberries in south Hanover, Massachusetts. He married flora Bryant, of Hanson, Massachusetts, and to them was born one son, Edward Howard, a rising young artist, of Brockton, Massachusetts, who married Jessie Vick Keith, of South Hanover, Massachusetts, to whom w as born one son, Thomas Edward. 3. Edward Howard, born at Palmer Hill, New York, who when very young followed a successful career in the hat business at 348 Third Avenue, New York; now retired from business; resides at Kingston-on-Hudson, New York. He married Anna Josephine Noone, of Kingston, New York; no children. 4. Mary Anna, born at the old homestead, on the farm neat Clintonville, New York; unmarried, now residing with William H Tindale, at Keeseville, New York. 5. William Henry, mentioned below. 6. Margaret Etta, born on the farm; married William J. Callahan, Keeseville, new York; now living at Saranac Lake, New York; children: Julia Marie and Andrew. 7. Terry James, born on the farm near Clintonville, now living in New York City; unmarred.
(III) William Henry, son of John and Julia McSweeney Tindale, was born on the farm near Clintonville, New York, march 26, 1855. He was educated in the common schools of his native town, and at Au Sable Forks, New York. Upon leaving school he took up farming at the old home, later becoming an extensive and very successful dealer in pulp wood and real estate. Mr. Tindale since 1901 has resided in Keeseville, New York, and is one of the most prominent and influential citizens of that town. He is a member of the Catholic Church of Keeseville, of the Knights of Columbus, of Plattsville, and of Plattsburgh Council, No. 255; he is also an active member and president of the board of education of Keeseville, New York, having served in this capacity for the past eight years. Mr. Tindale is interested in every movement conducive to the welfare of his town; he is a Democrat in politics, and takes an active interest in all political matters, though now a seeker of office for himself.
MAYER. The Mayers are of French origin, and their forebears on this side of the ocean were early settlers in the Province of Quebec.
(I) Louis Mayer, a native of St. Anne, Province of Quebec, married Esther Gratton, and was presumably a lifelong resident of that town. Children: 1. Moe. 2. Roderick. 3. Louis. 4. Hubert. 5. Hormasdas. 6. Joseph. 7. Alphonse. 8. Matilda.
(II) Hormasdas, fifth child of Louis and Esther (Gratton) Mayer, was born in St. Anne, October 21, 1856. He resided for a time in St. Jerome, province of Quebec, whence he removed to Port Henry, Essex County, New York, and becoming a naturalized American citizen, he allied himself with the Republican Party, taking a lively interest in the political as well as the industrial affairs of that town. He married, in St. Jerome, in January 7, 1875, Augusta, born in St. Anne, September 25, 1859, daughter of George and Augusta (LaBelle) Lemoges. Children: 1. Rev. Hormasdas, again referred to. 2. Conrad, born at Port Henry, January 23, 1879; married Hazel, daughter of Isaac Green, and has one son, Kenneth.
(III) Rev. Hormasdas (2) Mayer, eldest son of Hormasdas (1) and Augusta (Lemoges) Mayer, was born in St. Jerome, Province of Quebec, September 13, 1876. Having pursued the preliminary branches of study in the public schools of Port Henry, he continued his education at the College of L'Assumption and the Grand Seminary, Montreal, and from the latter he entered St. Bernard's Seminary, Rochester, New York, where his theological studies were completed. After his ordination to the Roman Catholic priesthood in 1902, he was assigned to St. Mary's Church, Clayton, New York, as assistant pastor, remaining there for three years. In 1905 he was placed in charge of the Catholic mission at Fine, Edwards, Talcottville, and Newbridge, St. Lawrence County, New York, and in 1907 succeeded the Rev. Father Desjardius as pastor of the Roman Catholic Church in Harrisville, New York. Father Mayer is an able, devout and enthusiastic Christian teacher, thoroughly in earnest in the discharge of his sacred duties, and his entire time is devoted to the preservation and propagation of the faith, which he is so eminently fitted to expound.
BROWN. James Brown was born in Tipperary, Ireland, 1819, died in Malone, New York, 1879. He received a common school education in his native parish. He came to this country in 1837 and located at Malone, New York, and followed farming throughout his active life. He married (first) Julia Long; (second) Rose Lynch, born in 1841, died 1896. Children of first wife: 1. James. 2. Joseph. 3. Thomas. , Children of second wife: 5. Michael J., mentioned below. 6. Caroline, died aged eighteen years. 7. John, died aged sixteen years. 8. Margaret, died aged twenty-three years. 9. Elizabeth, married Thomas J. Lantry, of Hogansburg, New York; children: i. Joshua, ii. Rose, iii. Margaret, iv. Catherine, v. Mary, vi. Thomas. 10. Edward, lives on the homestead at Malone; married Anne McGeehan; children: i. Mary, ii. Isabel, iii. Agnes, iv. James. v. George. 11. Peter, farmer at Malone; married Margaret Millmore; children; i. Rose, ii. Beatrice, iii. James Millmore. 12. Henry (M. D.), practicing in Utica, New York; married Sarah Mahar; children: i. Rose, ii. Anna, iii. James, iv. John.
(II) Rev. Michael J. Brown, son of James Brown, was born at Malone, New York, November 8, 1851. He was educated in the public schools of his native town, at Franklin Academy in Malone, and at St. Charles College, Baltimore, Maryland, where he graduated in 1871. He attended the Troy Seminary for four years, completing the course in June, 1876, and he was ordained in the priesthood the same year. His first parish was at Clayton, New York, where he remained one year. He then had charge successively of the parishes of the Roman Catholic Church at Redwood, Antwerp, Rossie and Morristown, New York. He became the pastor of the church at Hogansburg, New York, in 1878, and has been there since that time. He has been singularly successful in both spiritual and temporal work in this large and growing parish. The church debt has been paid, a parish house was built in 1889, and a new church built in 1905. The old church was destroyed by fire in 1904. He is one of the most respected and beloved clergymen in this section and well known to his townsmen of all classes and denominations.
CASE. The Case family of Lewis County, New York, descend from Pardon C. Case, who was born at New Bedford, Massachusetts. He removed to Lewis County, New York, where he died. He married Marcia Salmon. Children: 1. Henry, married Elizabeth Gaylord. 2. Louise, married Eli Shephard. 3. Rachel, married Franklin Pierce. 4. Hiram, married Mary Fisher. 5. Roderick, see forward.
(II) Roderick, son of Pardon C. and Marcia (Salmon) Case, was born at Turin, Lewis County, New York, September 4, 1833, died May 9, 1898. He married, at Turin, Amanda Hubbard, born August 17, 1836, died March 4, 1870, daughter of Dennis and Eliza Johnson Hubbard. Children, all born in Turin, Lewis County: 1. Frederick A., see forward. 2. Jennie A., July 26, 1859; married Dr. Abraham Miller, January 24, 1889. 3. Francis J., born December 8, 1860; married Carrie Wilson. 4. Alice M., born December 19, 1861, died September 15, 1862. 5. Alice, born June 8, 1863; married Gerard A. Perkins, August 15, 1881. Roderick Case married (second) October 20, 1873, Josephine (Gookins) Hills, born November 3, 1838, died March 23, 1896. Children: 6. Amanda J., born November 27, 1874, died February 7, 1875. 7. Nina M., born June 24, 1878. 8. Abelbert R., born June 16, 1880.
(III) Frederick A., son of Roderick and Amanda (Hubbard) Case, was born at Turin, Lewis County, New York, August 15, 1857. He was educated in the public schools of Turin, and finished his education in the Turin High School. He assisted his father on the home farm until attaining his majority, when he leased a farm in the neighborhood and began farming on his own account. He next purchased a farm in Turin and operated it for about eight years, after which he sold it and located anew in Greig, where he purchased a property lying along Black River, one mile east of Glenfield Village. On the farm he makes a specialty of scientific poultry raising, and dairy farming. His herds are of the Jersey strain, while his poultry raising is upon a very extensive scale. He is modern in his methods, uses all the scientific aids that are now at the command of the progressive farmer in whatever line he specializes, and is securing satisfactory results from both branches of his business. In poultry fancying and dairying Mr. Case is regarded as an authority. Politically he is an ardent Democrat, strong in his convictions and loyal to his party and his principles. He is a leading member of the Patrons of Husbandry in his town, has always taken a deep interest in the affairs of the order, and is now serving his fifth term as master of Greig Grange. He is a member of the Episcopal Church.
He married (first) November 17, 1881, at Greig, Luie Gallup, born September 6, 1861, died November 14, 1892, daughter of Mordecai and Christina (Sand) Gallup. He married (second) November 19, 1901, Jeannette M. Dominick, born at Greig, January d5, 1859, daughter of John F. and Mary Esther (Gallup) Dominick. Children of first wife, all born in Lewis County, New York: 1. Blanche L., September 30, 1882; a trained nurse, graduate of Faxton Hospital, Utica, New York, 1906. 2. Floyd G., July 1, 1884, connected with Buick Automobile Company of Flint, Michigan. 3. Clifford M., October 24, 1884, died August 5, 1889. 4. Lyle F., born March 30, 1889; graduate of International Correspondence School of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
HABERER. Johannes Haberer, the early ancestor of the Haberer family, lived in Durkheim, Bavaria, and died there in 1791. He married Maria Caroline Selig.
(II) Josef, son of Johannes and Maria Caroline (Selig) Haberer, was born in Durkheim, April 2, 1787, and died in Wattenheim in 1835. He was a carpenter by trade. He married (first) November 28, 1806, Katharina Wacher. Children: 1. Anna Katharina, born in 1807. 2. Matthias, August 18, 1808. 3. Adam, January 17, 1811. 4. Katharina, 1812. 5. Daniel Jakob, April 6, 1816, came to America in 1841, settled in Utica, and spent his life there. 6. Johann, November 18, 1818, came to America in 1841, and settled in Syracuse, where he spent the remainder of his life. 7. Henry, November 6, 1820, also came to America in 1841. Josef Haberer married (second) 1823m Eva Geiger. Children: 8. Katharina, born in 1825. 9. Valentine, 1827. 10. Philipina, 1829. 11. Barbara, 1830.
(III) Henry, son of Josef and Katharine (Wacher) Haberer, was born in Durkheim, Bavaria, and came to the United States at the age of twenty years. He located at first in Utica, New York. In early life he learned the trade of cabinetmaking and carving, and when he removed to Carthage, New York, he was at first in the employ of a Mr. Gallagher. Later he had a furniture store and undertaking establishment of his own. Like many others of our adopted sons, he took up arms and imperiled his life for the preservation of his country. He enlisted September 30, 1861, in Company B, Thirty-fifth Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry. His regiment was a part of the Army of the Potomac, and with this hard fighting army he participated in the battles of Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, and others, famous in the annals of the Civil War. He faithfully served his three-year term of enlistment, and was honorably discharged from service in 1864. August 22, of the same year, he re-enlisted, this time as corporal in Company H, One Hundred and Eighty-sixth Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry, Captain J. Reynolds. He was with his regiment at the battle of Fort Mahan, in front of Fredericksburg, Virginia, and in the succeeding hard-fought engagements culminating in the fall of that stronghold. At the conclusion of the war, Mr. Haberer resumed his former vocation, removing to Lowville in 1876, and engaged in the same line of work until his death, October 28, 1887. He was a modest, unassuming man, of noble principle, strict integrity, untiring industry, and great energy. He bequeathed to his descendants an honored name and an unsullied reputation, which succeeding generations have worthily maintained,. In politics he was a Democrat. He was a charter member and active comrade of Guilford Bailey Post, No. 200, Grand Army of the Republic, of Lowville. He was married in St. Joseph's Church, Utica, New York, April 15, 1845, to Julianna Keiser, the ceremony being performed by the Rev. Florian Schweininger. Mrs. Haberer was the daughter of George Keiser and was born in Alsace, France, in 1825. Mr. Keiser came to the United States in 1838, with his wife, eight daughters and four sons, and settled in Utica, New York.
Mrs. Haberer died December 27, 1893, at the age of sixty-eight years. Children: 1. Henry Andrew, born April, 1846, died August 20, 1871. 2. Pauline Eliza, married George Johann Haberer, of Syracuse, New York. 3. John Edward, see forward. 4. George Joseph, born august 20, 1853, died February 6, 1907. 5. Anselm Bernard, born February 18, 1837. 6. Mary Julianna, married James Templeton Robinson, of New York City.
(IV) John Edward, third child and second son of Henry and Julianna (Keiser) Haberer, was born in Utica, New York, November 21, 1851, and died October 23, 1908. He was educated in the public schools of Carthage, New York, and at an early age learned the trade of cabinetmaking, an ancestral vocation. In 1870 he located in Lowville and engaged as a journeyman to John Conover in the manufacture of furniture. He remained with him until 1876, with the exception of one year spent in Watertown, New York. In that year, in association with his brother George J., he purchased the plant and stock of his employer, Mr. Conover, then situated on Valley Street, Lowville, and giving employment to five or six men. The new firm prosecuted the business with vigor, and in 1880 were compelled by the requirements of their growing trade to see larger quarters. They purchased a site on Trinity Avenue, on the line of the Utica & Black River Railroad, and erected the commodious buildings now used by then for the manufacture of furniture. The plant is modern in all its details, covers several acres, and furnishes employment to from seventy-five to one hundred men. In 1891 the firm of Haberer Brothers was dissolved by mutual consent, the younger brothers, George J., taking the retail and undertaking business, and John Edward continuing in the manufacture of furniture. The last-named purchased a large tract of timber land upon which he built sawmills, also portable mills, manufacturing nearly all the lumber used in his factory. He had constantly on hand several millions of feet of seasoned lumber which, when manufactured into furniture, was shipped to all parts of the country. His establishment, from a modest beginning, has in less than a third of a century grown to be one of the largest of its kind in northern New York. Besides personally conducting his manufacturing business and superintending it in every detail, Mr. Haberer was interested in various other fields of activity. He was a stockholder and vice-president of the Gould Paper Company with paper mills at Lyons Falls, Fowlerville and Port Leyden, New York. Beginning with a limited capital, by his own energy, industry and superior business qualifications, he accumulated a large fortune. He was actively interested in town affairs and served for two years as president of Lowville Village, and for three years as trustee. He was a consistent member of the Roman Catholic Church, and a very liberal contributor to its support and to the various benevolences connected with it. He was a charter member and first grand knight of the local lodge of Knights of Columbus. Politically he was a Democrat. Mr. Haberer married, April 15, 1885, Florence A., daughter of Henry C. Northam, of Lowville. Children: 1. H. Northam, see forward. 2. Muriel A., born August 18, 1887, was educated in the public schools and the Lowville Academy, with a finishing course at the Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York. 3. Florence Louise, born April 9, 1895, died November 8, 1895. 4. Theodore Edward, born March 9, 1898, died December 5, 1989.
(V) H. Northam, eldest son of John Edward and Florence A. (Northam) Haberer, was born January 18, 1886. He was educated in the public schools, Lowville Academy, and the Syracuse Business College. In 1906 he was admitted to the business of his father, and so thoroughly mastered its details that on the death of the latter, in 1908, he assumed the entire management of his large business and estate, which has he has since conducted with marked success.
(IV) George Joseph, third son of Henry (q.v.) and Julianna (Keiser) Haberer, was born in Carthage, Jefferson County, New York, August 20, 1853, died in Lowville, New York, February 6, 1907. He was educated in the Carthage public schools, and early in life was apprenticed to William Gallagher, who taught him the cabinetmaker's trade. He became an expert mechanic, particularly in making fine cabinets and furniture. After becoming proficient at his trade he removed to Lowville, Lewis County, where he entered the furniture factory of John Conover, with whom he remained until 1876. This was a small concern, employing five or six men. In 1876, the brothers John E. and George J. formed themselves into the firm of Haberer Brothers, purchased the factory stock of Mr. Conover, and began ina small way, the business that later outgrew the small plant, spread to the large new factory and mills with their splendid equipment of modern wood-working machinery, and large force of workmen; laid low immense forests; converted the lumber into furniture that made the firm of Haberer Brothers known in every part of the country where furniture could be shipped. In 1891 the firm was dissolved by mutual agreement, and the business divided, George J. Haberer taking the retail furniture business, which included undertaking equipments, the elder brother John E. continuing the manufacturing and wholesale business. The retail store and warehouse were located on State Street, Lowville, and transacted a volume of business unrivaled by any furniture house of northern New York. Mr. Haberer inherited the sterling qualities of his father and possessed unusual business ability that made him leader in the business world. He was the architect of his own fortunes, and own his success fairly by industry, energy and keen business acumen. He accumulated a competency and lived to enjoy it. He was interested in the prosperity of his town, and no man did more to advance the prosperity of his townsmen. He served as trustee of the village of Lowville and bore his share of local responsibility. He was a faithful member of the Catholic Church, whose interests he was ever ready to advance. Politically he was a Democrat.
He married (first) Catherine Wantz, who bore him three children, two dying in infancy; he married (second) Caroline Villers, who bore him two children, one dying in infancy. He married (third), November 27, 1806, Elizabeth T. Seubert, of Utica, New York, daughter of Andrew and Regina (Keiser) Seubert. Child of First wife: 1. George Leroy, married May E. Toussant, and has Edward and Anna Haberer. Children of second wife: 2. Bernard Villars Haberer, born August 22, 1896.
PARSONS. Many authorities state that the name of Parsons is derived from a church parson, which originally was Person, as he was the chief person in the church. Others claim this was originally the same as Pierson or Pearson. In England the name has been common for many centuries, and among the notable members of the family were Sir John Parsons, Lord Mayor of London in 1704, and Sir Humphrey Parsons, Lord Mayor of London, in 1731, and again in 1740. Many gallant soldiers have borne the name and made it noteworthy in the history of our own country, and they have also held other positions of honor and trust.
(I) Cornet Joseph Parsons, by his own statement born in England in 1618, was the first of the name to be found in New England. He appeared in 1636 in Springfield, Massachusetts, as witness of a deed from the Indians of the lands of that place and vicinity to William Pyncheon and others. According to tradition, and also some of the best authorities, Joseph was a brother of Benjamin Parsons, born in Great Torrington, Devonshire, England; the two are supposed to have accompanied their father to New England about 1630.
It is thought they came the same time as William Pyncheon, and Joseph Parsons was closely associated with William Pyncheon and his son John. Cornet Joseph Parsons became the chief founder of Northampton, Massachusetts, where he removed to November, 1658. His name was found on a list of land owners of Springfield of 1647, of whom there were forty-two; he served in that town as surveyor and also as selectman. In 1655 Mr. parsons purchased a monopoly of the fur and beaver trade of the Connecticut River, and from this trade became quite wealthy for the times, becoming the second probably, in the colony, in point of worldly possessions. He also owned two valuable lots in Boston, a residence and a storehouse on the harbor, which his family hold for a large sum after his death. In 1668 Joseph Parsons purchased and conducted a saw-mill, and in 1671 he went on an exploring tour with others, and was instrumental in concluding a bargain with the Indians for a tract of land to the amount of ten thousand five hundred and sixty acres. He was several times sent on surveying expeditions, and had considerable influence with the Indians, as show by the frequent bargains he was able to conclude with them for the purchase of land and closing of treaties. Cornet Joseph Parsons was a member of the Captain John Pyncheon's Hampshire County troop, October 7, 1678, also a member of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery of Boston in 1679, and served in the early Indian wars. Savage says he was the "most enterprising man in the Connecticut Valley for a quarter of a century." He died in Springfield, Massachusetts, October 9, 1683. He married, November 26, 1646, Mary, daughter of Thomas Bliss, of Hartford, afterwards of Northhampton. They lived at Northampton until 1679, in which year they returned to Springfield where both died, she January 29, 1712. Their children were: 1. Joseph. 2. John. 3. Samuel. 4. Ebenezer. 5. Jonathan. 6. David. 7. Mary. 8. Hannah. 9. Abigail 10. Hester.
(II) Joseph (2), oldest son of Cornet Joseph (1) and Mary (Bliss) Parsons, was born in 1647, and died at Northampton, Massachusetts, November 29, 1729. He was a justice of the peace under the English forms, and in 1711 was commissioned by Governor Dudley as captain of a foot company of a Hampshire Regiment, becoming active in military service. He served several different times as selectman, and was judge of the county court more than twenty-three years, and served fourteen years as deputy of the general court at Boston. He was a man of considerable property, and owned grist and sawmills in Deerfield, and was also interested in the iron business in Suffield and Southfield. He served in King Philip's War, and was one of the very earliest lawyers in Massachusetts. He married, March 17, 1669, Elizabeth, daughter of Elder John and Abigail (Ford) Strong; John Strong and his wife were ancestors of Caleb Strong, who became governor of Massachusetts. She was born in Windsor, Connecticut, February 24, 1648, and died in Northampton, May 11, 1736, after having lived with her husband sixty years. Their children were: 1. Rev. Joseph (first of the name to graduate from Harvard College). 2. Lieutenant John. 3. Captain Ebenezer. 4. Elizabeth. 5. Rev. David. 6. Josiah. 7. Daniel. 8. Moses. 9. Abigail. 10. Noah.
(III) Lieutenant John, second son of Joseph (2) and Elizabeth (Strong) Parsons, was born January 11, 1673-74, died September 4, 1746. He married (first) December 23, 1696, Sarah Atherton, born October 26, 1676, daughter of Rev. Hope and Sarah (Hollister) Atherton. She died February 12, 1729, and he married (second) June 12, 1729, Mrs. Hannah Miller, widow of Abraham Miller, and daughter of Preserved and Sarah (Newberry) Clapp, who was born May 5, 1681, died November 9, 1758. His estate was appraised at three thousand, six hundred and three pounds. His children, all by his first wife: 1. Atherton, born February 15, 1698. 2. John, July 15, 1700. 3. Eunice, July 26,. 1701, died young. 4. Gideon, December 7, 1702. 5. Sarah, September 20, 1705, died November 7, 1705. 6. Moses, see forward. 7. Eunice, born February 3, 1711. 8. Ephraim, February 14, 1713. 9. Benjamin, March 27, 1710. 10. Joseph, May 16, 1722.
(IV) Moses, fourth son of Lieutenant John and Sarah (Atherton) Parsons, was born July 6, 1708, died January 3, 1746. He married (first) November 5, 1730, Wait, born July 26, 1711, died September 9, 1731, daughter of Abraham and Hannah (Clapp) Miller; (second) November 20, 1734, Sarah, born May 9, 1703, daughter of Samuel and Sarah Janes; she married, in 1753, Ithamar Clark. By his first wife Moses parsons had but one child, Moses, and by his second wife his children were: 2. Oliver, born September 27, 1735. 3. Eunice, May 7, 1737. 4. Joel, May 18, 1739. 5. Bela, December 9, 1741. 6. Sarah, May 7, 1744.
(V) Moses (2), son of Moses (10 and Wait (Miller) parsons, was born September 1, 1731. He married, June 15, 1758, Mehitable, daughter of Noah and Mehitable (Warner) Bridgman; he was a farmer of Northampton. Children: 1. Eunice, born March 24, 1759. 2. Seth. See forward. 3. Rhoda, March 8, 1763. 4. Moses, June 26, 1765. 5. Daniel, November 11, 1767. 6. Justin, March 11, 1770.
(VI) Seth, eldest son of Moses (2) and Mehitable (Bridgman) Parsons, was born February 5, 1761, died July 19, 1826. He married, October 25, 1787, Rachel Wales, born October 14, 1768, at Westhampton, died November 9, 1829. Children: 1. Anselm, born July 25, 1789. 2. Eunice, January 20, 1791. 3. George, see forward. 4. Seth, January 10, 1796, died April 3, 1851; at Saranac, Clinton County, New York. 5. Jonathan, October 16, 1979. 6. Nathaniel H., April 19, 1801, died May 14, 1826. 7. Henry, April 16, 1865. 8. Rachel, April 13, 1806. 9. Frances, August 17, 1809. 10. Daniel L., February 5, 1812.
(VII) George, second son of Seth and Rachel (Wales) Parsons, was born at Northampton, Massachusetts, May 3, 1793, died December 30, 1874. He became a merchant and a manufacturer of iron and lumber in Saranac, New York. Previous to settling in Saranac, he had been engaged in various mercantile enterprises, and had been engaged, among other things, in buying horses for the Boston market. His brother Anselm had located at Plattsburgh, New York, and in 1823 George Parsons went to Plattsburgh and Saranac, and a year later, a change of air bring considered necessary for the health of his wife, removed with his family to Saranac, locating near the river. He removed by team to Burlington, Vermont, thence by boar to Plattsburgh, by team to Cadyville, and up the Saranac River seven miles in a rowboat to his new home in the wilderness. He began clearing land, manufacturing potash, and also sent logs down the river to Cadyville to be made into lumber. From 1837 to 1867 he was engaged in farming, lumbering, and mercantile business, and from 1844 to 1867 was identified with the iron industry along the Saranac River. In 1867 he retired from active life and many of his interests were turned over to his son David H., who had been associated with his father for more than twenty years. He was held in high esteem by all who knew him, and held several public positions of trust and responsibility. He was much interest in public affairs, and was a strong adherent of the Democratic Party from 1837 until his death. Mr. Parsons married (first) march 15, 1815, Sarah, born December 7, 1795, died October 17, 1830, daughter of Bela and Sarah (Parsons) Strong, and they had seven children. He married (second) June 16, 1831, Mary E. Hoyt, who died February 2, 1841, and they had five children. He married (third) Adeline H. Tunnicliffe, September 7, 1842, and they had two children; she died June 6, 1872.
By his first wife his children were: 1. Sally Maria, born November 4, 1815, died December 2, 1837; married Bissell C. Hopper. 2. George Henry, August 4, 1817, died August 12, 1858; married Sarah B. Robertson, May 29, 1849. 3. A son, unnamed, born April 21, died June 9, 1819. 4. William Strong, July 11, 1820, died April 4, 1821. 5. David Hunt, see forward. 6. Eliza Strong, November 5, 1826, died August 4, 1828. 7. Aaron Wales, January 16, 1822, died August 23, 1829. By his second wife his children were: 8. Frances Eliza, born April 12, 1832, died August 9, 1859; married, January 4, 1853, Melvin B. Patchen. 9. Susan Harriet, March 18, died February 19, 1853; married June 24, 1852, Shepard Pike Bowen; they had one child, Susie Parsons, born February 6, 1853; married, February 14, 1872, Henry C. Jillson, born October 4, 1848; children: i. Frank Bowen Jillson, born September 15, 1873; married, August 9, 1905, Gertrude B. Hunter, and had one child, Ruth Bowen Jillson, born May 10, 1910, ii. Bessie Louise Jillson, born May 20, 1875, died July 21, 1878. 10. Rachel W., April 1, 1836, died April 12, 1875; married, December 27, 1859, R. Morgan. 11. Susan Maria, March 15, 1838, died August 14, 1840. 12. Jeanette Eunice, August 9, 1840, died January 26, 1841. By his third wife his children were: 13. Sarah Holt, born November, 12, 1844, died November 26, 1905; married (first) February 14, 1864, B. Frank Davis; (second) December 31, 1865, George D. Dunham, M. D., who died November 29, 1891. 14. Wales, December 11, 1846, died February 21, 1894; married Louisa E. Jackson, October 24, 1870, and their six children were: i. Ernest H., born October 4, 1871, married Blanche Embree, March 12, 1897, ii. Charles Edward, July 14, 1873, married, June 18, 1901, Isabelle Beattie, iii. Adelaide Maria, January 5, 1875, iv. Roy Wales, May 7, 1877, died December 14, 1879. V. Lance Maurice, April 6, 1879, married, September 23, 1902, Bertha Neals Wilcox, vi. Mabel Irene, April 13, 1883.
(VIII) David Hunt, fourth son of George and Sarah (Strong) Parsons, was born December 20, 1823, died June 2, 1895. He became a dealer in general merchandise, and, like his father, whose interests he largely inherited, a manufacturer of lumber and iron. He paid close attention to his business interest, and made the most of his opportunities to better himself, becoming the owner of large business enterprises. He married, January 21, 1846, Ruth Pardy, of Beekmantown, New York, born November 28, 1826, daughter of James Barnes, and Rebecca Pardy, and they became parents of four children, namely: i. Charles Henry, born December 8, 1846, at Saranac, New York, died January 2, 1895, at Biloxi, Mississippi; married June 22, 1869, Jeanette Thomas, and their children are: ii. Ida Louise, born August 4, 1870, iii. Ruby, born in 1883, died in infancy. iv. Ruth, October 15, 1885. 2. George, see forward. 3. James B., born May 17, 1857; married, June 15, 1881, Hattie F. Jackson, and their three children are: i. Ethel, ii. David Moss, iii. Myra. James B. resides on the old homestead where George Parson landed when he came to this part of the world, and which property has been in the family since; a farmer, merchant and lumber manufacturer; member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, past noble grand. 4. William Augustus, born February 11, 1859, died February 16, 1859.
(IX) George (20, second son of David Hunt and Ruth (Pardy) Parsons, was born October 17, 1855, at Saranac, New York. He inherited the business ability of his father and grandfather, and became an influential and prominent citizen. He resides at Plattsburgh, New York. He engaged first with his father in the lumber business in Tinbrook, and in 1883 he entered the lumber business with David H., and Wales Parsons, at Elsinore, New York, under the firm name of D. H. & W. Parsons, which business was sold to Wales Parsons in 1887. He then for five years was foreman in the river, driving for various concerns. In September, 1893, he was appointed deputy collector of customs for Plattsburgh District.
After the death of his father he resigned from the customs department and turned his attention tot he lumber interests on pulp woods, etc., and wild and forest land, which he has since made his business. He held various offices at Saranac and was one of the first supervisors of city of Plattsburgh after its incorporation in 1902, and chairman of board of public works. Politically he is a Democrat, and he is a prominent member of the Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, in which order he is now fourth past master of Plattsburgh Lodge, and past commander of De Soto Commandery, and a member of Oriental Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., Troy, New York. Mr. Parsons married, January 1, 1877, Addie E., born June 29, 1856, daughter of Captain John S. and Eveline E. (Barnes) Stone, in Clinton County, New York. Her mother was daughter of Deacon Henry Barnes, of Beekmantown, Clinton County. Children, born in Saranac, New York: 1. Orrel Hunt, born October 18, 1877, died in infancy. 2. George Russell, November 5, 1878; clothing salesman; married, April 23, 1905, Sadie E. Leonard, born April 14, 1880, and they have one child, Ruth Elizabeth, born April 26, 1906, in Albany, New York. 3. Earl Stone, August 30, 1880, died March 20 1899. 4. Edgar Ellsworth, January 20, 1882, died March 19, 1882.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.