Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
is a Scotch surname, meaning servant, or follower of Jesus. The McGillis
family is of the MacPherson clan, which was established in Invernesshire
before the year 1200.
(I) Neil McGillis was born at Portree, Isle of Skye, Scotland, in 1799, and died in 1838. In 1828 he came from Scotland to Dundee County, Canada, and there he followed farming the rest of his days. He married Mary McCleod, also a native of Scotland. She died in Canada, April 19, 1873, aged seventy-three years. Children: 1. Mary, born in Scotland, in 1824. 2. John, in Scotland, 1826. 3. Rachel, in Canada, 1828. 4. Neil, 1823. 5. Norman, 1835. 6. Lauchlin, 1836; mentioned below. 7. Isabella, 1838. 8. Mary, 1840. 9. Angus, 1843. 10. Donald, 1843.
(II) Lauchlin, son of Neil McGillis, was born in Dundee County, Canada, May 10, 1836. He was educated in the public schools of Fort Covington and vicinity. In 1859 he came to Watertown, New York, and engaged in the furniture business there until 1876, in the service of George & McGillis. After the death of Henry Rockwell, of Ogdensburg, in 1876, Mr. McGillis, with the late A. M. Herriman, bought the Rockwell furniture store and conducted it in the stores now occupied by the O'Callaghan estate, 16 and 18 State Street. Upon the death of Calvin Gibbs, Mr. McGillis bought the store located at 30 Fort Street, and continued in business there until he died. Mr. Herriman, his partner, retired from the firm, and Mr. McGillis was in business alone in the later years of his life. He was active, capable and enterprising in business and developed one of the largest furniture stores in northern New York and an extensive undertaking business. He was a prominent member of the First Methodist Church of Ogdensburg, in which he served on the official board and held other offices of trust. He was a member of Acacian Lodge, No. 705, F. M., of Ogdensburg, of which he was treasurer for twenty-five years; of the Ogdensburg Chapter, No. 63, Royal Arch Masons; of the Ogdensburg Commandery, No. 54, Knights Templar; of Media Temple, Mystic Shrine, and of Ogdensburg Lodge, No. 98, Odd Fellows. He died from pneumonia, having had a stroke of paralysis a year previous at his home in Ogdensburg, September 23, 1906. He was an earnest upright Christian citizen, kindly and charitable, helping the poor and unfortunate, giving freely of his substance in worthy causes and joining with public spirit in every movement to better the city in which he lived. He was held in the highest respect and commanded the fullest confidence of his townsmen.
He married, August 13, 1861, Almira Miranda, born 1842, daughter of James and Catherine (Smith) Peters, of Ernesttown, Canada. Children; 1. Catherine Isabelle, married Robert F. Baker, undertaker, in the employ of the estate of Mr. McGillis, in the furniture and undertaking business at Ogdensburg. 2. Neil, died in infancy., 3. James A., born in February, 1867; mentioned below. 4. John. 5. Norman Peters. 6. Mary, lives with her mother in Ogdensburg. 7. Joseph Leslie, associated with his brother in their father's furniture business. 8. Henry Lauchlin, civil engineer, in Seattle, Washington. 9. Alice H., nurse, practicing
in New York City. 10. Charles Stewart, associated with his brothers in the furniture store. 11. Flora Louise.
(III) James A., son of Lauchlin McGillis, was born in Watertown, New York, February 11, 1867. He came to Ogdensburg with his parents in 1876 and was educated there in the public schools. He became a clerk in his father's store and has continued in the business in various position of responsibility to the present time. He and his brother, Charles A., have conducted the business as executors of their father's will since his death. In addition to the undertaking and furniture business of the estate he conducts a farm and has important real estate investments in the city. In politics he is a Republican. He is a member of the Business Men's Associations; of Acacian Lodge, No. 705, Free and Accepted Masons; of Ogdensburg Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, No. 63; of Maple City Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, No. 71. He is a charter member of the Eliza white Lodge, No. 590, Odd Fellows, of Ogdensburg, and member of Ogdensburg Encampment, No. 32, and Canton Amaranth, No. 12, Patriarchs Militant. He is also a charter member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, no. 772, of Ogdensburg. He is a member of the Independent Order of Foresters, of the National Union, Order of Maccabees, and of the national and international union of Maccabees. He is a member of St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church.
Mr. McGillis married, in 1885, Harriet Judson, daughter of Daniel and Harriet (Bean) Judson, of Ogdensburg. Mrs. McGillis is active in the work of St. John's church, of which she is a member, and has served as president of St. Agnes' Society. She is an active member of the patriotic society, Daughters of the American Revolution, and is treasurer of the local chapter of that order. They have had one child, Harriet Marjorie, who died at the age of ten years.
MOONEY. The Mooneys are of ancient Irish origin and the name is derived from the Celtic word Maoin, signifying wealth. Their ancestor can be traced backward to Enghan (Owen) son of Feig, of the ninety-third generation on the O'Gorman pedigree. It is said that an ancient Irish monarch gave tp hjis nephew, O'Maoinagh (meaning Mooney's decendant) who was a great-grandson of Enghan, the name of Feara Maoinash, anglicized Fermanagh. The chief seat of the family in Ireland was at Ballaghmooney, in King's county. the Beekmantown Mooneys, mentioned below, are descended from colonel Hercules Mooney, who was an officer of distinction in the French and Indian War, and the struggle for national Independence. He was an educated Irish Protestant who, prior to his emigration, is said to hare been employed as a tutor in the family of a nobleman. Arriving at Dover, New Hampshire, in 1733, he immediately made himself useful as a schoolmaster, and the greater part of his life was devoted to that honorable calling. The records of Dover state that he was engaged to tech school in that part of the town which is now Somersworth, and he resided within the limits of the old "Cocheco Parish," near "Barbadoes," a locality near the present boundary line near Dover and Madbury, for the setting off of which a a separate parish he was one of the petitioners in 1743.
Removing to Durham in 1750-51 he taught there until 1756, and in the following year began his military career as a captain in Colonel Meserve's Regiment, which he accompanied to Crown Point. A part of this regiment, including Captain Mooney's company, was ordered to reinforce colonel Monroe at Fort William Henry, and when that stronghold, owing to lack of ammunition, was forced to capitulate, the French General Montcalm extended to its brave defenders the honors of war, the terms stipulating that they should retain their private baggage, march under escort of the French
to Fort Edward and refrain from serving against the French for a period of eighteen months. The Indians, enraged at the terms granted the garrison by Montcalm, fell upon them at they marched out unarmed, and the New Hampshire troops, who were in the rear, suffered most severely, eighty out of the two hundred being killed or captured. Captain Mooney and his son, Benjamin, lost all their private baggage, and were afterward partially recompensed by the provincial government. In April, 1758, Captain Mooney recruited forty men from Durham and vicinity, and in 1761 petitioned for an "allowance for care of getting hone his son Jonathan," who while serving at Crown Point had contracted a fever and was removed to Albany, where he had small-pox.
In 1762 Captain Mooney was chosen an assessor in Durham, and in 1765 was elected a selectman. The same year he signed a petition for the division of the town into two parishes, which resulted in the incorporation of the parish of Lee in 1766, and as the major portion of his farm was located in the new parish he continued to reside there for nearly twenty-years, teaching school and taking an active part in public affairs. For many years he served as a selectman and representative to the legislature, and was a member of the fifth provincial congress at Exeter in 1775. The breaking-out of the Revolutionary War found him an enthusiastic patriot ready for the strife, and on March 14, 1776, he was commissioned major in Colonel David Gilman's Regiment, which was stationed at Newcastle or vicinity. September 20, 1776, he was promoted to lieutenant-colonel of the continental battalion then being raised in New Hampshire. This regiment was under Pierce Long, and stationed at Newcastle until ordered by General Ward to march to Ticonderoga, New York, in February, 1777. Upon the approach of the British Army under General Burgoyne, Ticonderoga was evacuated July 6, 1777, and the New Hampshire troops were ordered to help cover the retreat, during which a few were killed and about one hundred men wounded. During this retreat Lieutenant-Colonel Hercules Mooney lost his horse, most of his clothes, and all his camp equipage to a very considerable value, and was allowed partial compensation. From May 23, 1778, to August 12, 1778, he was a member of the committee of safety, and again from December 23, 1779, to March 10, 1779. June 23, 1779, he was appointed colonel of a regiment ordered for continental service in Rhode Island. The regiment was raised in June, ands remained in service until the month of January, 1780.
Upon his retirement from the army he returned to the farm and schoolroom. For nine years, from 1776, he was a justice of the peace for Strafford County, and removing to Holderness in 1785, he subsequently served in the same capacity for Grafton County. Having been one of the original grantees of Holderness, he took an active part in opening it to settlers; and during its infancy devoted much of his time to its civic affairs, serving as a selectman and representing the district in the state legislature for the years 1786-87-88-89-90. A recent biographer states that "Colonel Mooney was one of those men whom circumstances develop into leaders almost instantly when the exigencies of the case demand them, and that his record, together with his sons as schoolmasters, officers in the Seven Years' and Revolutionary War, and in civil position was a remarkable one." His death occurred in Holderness in April, 1800. Like the mythical hero whose name he bore he was a tower of strength, standing forth pre-eminently in the history of his time, and considering the fact that his mental faculties were fully in keeping with his superior physical capacity, his record will always be a source of pride to the people fo the Granite State.
Colonel Mooney's first wife, whom he married prior to 1748, was Elizabeth Evans, born January 19, 1716, daughter of
father was born February 2, 1687, and was killed by the Indians September 15, 1725. Colonel's Mooney second wife was Mary, daughter of Lieutenant Joseph Jones. His children were: 1. Benjamin. 2. Elizabeth. 3. Jonathan. 4. John. 5. Susanna. The last two named were probably of his second marriage, and there is some evidence that he also had a son Obadiah. Early in the last century Stephen, Obadiah and John Mooney, who were brothers, come from New Hampshire to Clinton County, New York, and purchased farms in Beekmantown. Stephen later removed to Champlain Township. They were undoubtedly descendants, and probably grandsons of Colonel Hercules Mooney.
(I) Obadiah Money, born in New Hampshire about the year 1795, is said to have come from the vicinity of Concord, and that his father was a judge, but no record of him can be found in that vicinity. Obadiah Mooney went first to south Hero Islet, Vermont, and thence to Beekmantown, settling on a farm at Point Au-Roche. He became a prosperous tiller of the soil and resided there until his death, which occurred May 8, 1870, at the age of seventy-five years. In his later years he acted with the Republican Party in politics, and his citizenship was of a type well worthy of emulation by future generations. He married Nancy Conner, and she lived to be eighty-six years old. Children: 1. Alson. 2. Benjamin F. 3. Charles. 4. Electra. 5. Nathan H. 6. Eleanor. With the exception of the eldest, all were born in Beekmantown.
(II) Captain Nathan H., third son and fifth child of Obadiah and Nancy (Conner) Mooney, was born in Beekmantown, May 28, 1836. He was educated in the public schools and at the Plattsburgh Academy, and when seventeen years old engaged in business as a general produce dealer. The secession of the slave states, which precipitated the Civil War in the spring of 1861, aroused his patriotism, and enrolling himself as a private among the defenders of the Union on October 16, of that year, he was, three months later, commissioned first lieutenant of company H, Ninety-sixth Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry. His regiment was quartered in Washington, District of Columbia, until April 1, 1862, when it was ordered to join General McClellan's army at Fortress Monroe, and he immediately entered into active service in the field, participating in the siege of Yorktown, the battle of Williamsburgh and several other engagements. On May 20, 1862, his health failed and, receiving an honorable discharge on account of physical disability, the following September 4, he returned to his home in Beekmantown. Recovering his health during the coming winter he re-enlisted in March, 1863, and was commissioned captain of Company A, Sixteenth New York Cavalry, which was assigned to the first battalion and order to the Army of the Potomac. After participating in the battle of Fredericksburg he was detailed to the second battalion at Alexandra, Virginia, and in the fall of 1863 was ordered to Centerville, same state, for the purpose of preventing further depredations by Colonel Mosby's Rangers. In January, 1864, the second battalion under the command of Captain Mooney was detailed to report to General R. O. Tyler at Fairfax Court House, and in April 16 the captain started for Washington, thirty miles away, accompanied by an orderly, William Carney. He had proceeded but a short distance when he was captured by the Fifteenth Virginia Cavalry and placed in the custody of a guard named Davis. At the first favorable opportunity he made a determined effort to escape by knocking his guard down, and would have succeeded but for the timely arrival of other Confederate soldiers. Ina fit of anger Davis swore vengeance and after telling his prisoner to say his prayers he aimed his musket directly at his heart and pulled the trigger. The weapon missed fire, however, and the captain was saved from further harm through the kindly interference of the other guards.
He was in Libby prison, Richmond,
and at Danville, Macon, Savannah, Charleston and Charlotte, altogether about eleven months. While a prisoner in the last named place he was, on September 18, 1864, under fire of the guns of the Union Army, which hurled one hundred and eighty shells into the city. In October he was removed to Columbia, South Carolina, and November 3, he, with one other prisoner escaped, but found it advisable to return. On the 28th of the same month he availed himself of another opportunity for regaining his Freudian, traveling through the enemy's country twenty-seven nights and hiding days, during which time he was provided with food by the colored people. After traveling three hundred and fifty miles, and when within twenty miles of the Federal lines, he was re-captured, sent back to Columbia, and in the latter part of January, 1865, was again taken to Charlotte. But to remain quietly in the hands of the enemy was not in keeping with his energetic character, and while at charlotte he made his escape for the third time, but was re-captured by the aid of bloodhounds. He was finally paroled, sent to Wilmington, North Carolina, thence to Annapolis, Maryland, and in August, 1865, was honorably discharged from the service with three months' additional pay. Captain Mooney returned to the peaceful seclusion of his country home in Beekmantown, where he has ever since resided, and for the past thirty-five years has been engaged in the produce business. In 1881 he was elected sheriff of Clinton County and retained that office for the full term of three years. Politically he is a Republican. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and active in the interest of that great order, and also of the Patrons of Husbandry.
He married, October 28, 1868, Elizabeth E., born in Chazy, New York, daughter of John and Lavina (Aldrich) Dunn. …Child, W. Grant Mooney, born October 27, 1869; married Annie Marsh; children: Elizabeth and Marsh.
MORSE. In early New England records there are many of the name of Moss, Morss and Morse, with many variations of spelling, the most prominent being William, Anthony, Joseph, Samuel and John, who emigrated early in the seventeenth century, and their descendants. The name Moss was early found among the Jews, the Celtic Irish and the Saxon nations of the continent, and the name De Mors was known in Germany as early as the year 1200. Hugo de Mors, who lived in England in 1358, and was honored by George III, with a diplomatic commission, was probably descended from the German family. The name appears in the records of Suffolk County, England, in 1589, about the same time in Essex County, and also became common in Norfolk County. Of those who emigrated to New England in early days none were more highly honored by their fellows than John Moss, who is believed to have been a member of a family of high standing in England, on account of his high attainments and evident culture. The family has included many educators, ministers and men of the learned professions, and the name has always stood for good citizenship.
(I) John Moss, of New Haven. The first four generation of his race spelled the name Moss, and many of his descendants have retained this spelling to the present day, although the majority of them have adopted Morse. The exact date of his birth is unknown, some authorities giving it as near 1619, while other claim he was one hundred and three years old at the time of his death, in 1707. He was one of the noble band who founded New Haven, Connecticut, and was much esteemed for his high quality of courage, his excellent judgment in matters relating to the common welfare, his firmness of character, his piety and perseverance. His advice and counsel were sought by the wisest and holiest men of his day, and he was in the highest sense a godly Puritan, ready to perform his full duty at
ll times. His fellow citizens honored him in many ways, and he was one of the most prominent men of New Haven at the time of its settlement. He was one of the members of the first general court in 1639-40. He was often called upon to advocate a case in the civil court; on the union of New Haven with Connecticut he was repeatedly sent to the general court at Hartford, and was appointed a magistrate. When part of New Haven was set apart as Wallingford, March 11, 1669, he became one of the committee to manage all the plantation affairs of the latter place, the other members being Samuel Street, John Brockett, Abraham Doolittle. They were to dispose and distribute the allotments in such equal manner as was best suited to the condition and the place and the inhabitants thereof, and to use the best means in their power to secure a fit man to dispense the word of God. The name of John Moss was prominently identified with all the leading measures of the village of Wallingford, and he was assigned the second home lot, near the south end of Main Street, on the east side. He was prominent in both state and church affairs, and was well fitted by natural ability and experience to take his place among the rulers of the new town. Children born to John Moss: 1. John, baptized January 11, 1639, died young, 2. Samuel, born April 4, 1641. 3. Abigail, April 10, 1642. 4. Rev. Joseph, November 6, 1643. 5. Ephraim, November 6, 1645; probably died young. 6. Mary, April 11, 1647. 7. Mercy. 8. John, October 12, 1650. 9. Elizabeth, October 12, 1652. 10. Hester, June 16, 1654. 11. Isaac, July 1, 1655, died in 1659.
(II) Mercy, son of John Moss, was baptized at new haven, April 1, 1649, and his inventory was given at New Haven, March 3, 1684-85, by Joseph Moss and John Alling. He left a house, barn and two lots, one fifty-seven acres and the other eighty-two acres. He was one of the proprietors of New Haven, and also lived at Wallingford. By his wife Elizabeth he had two children: John and William; the latter born June 28, 1680, settled at Derby, Connecticut, and with his brother, John inherited property in New Haven.
(III) John (2), eldest son of mercy and Elizabeth Moss, was baptized January 7, 1677, and died in 1723, while on a trip to Hartford. He lived at New Haven, Connecticut; Jamaica, Long Island, and Stratford, Connecticut. He married, December 22, 1707, Jane, daughter of Stephen Thompson, who died at Stratford, December 28, 1743. Children: 1. Mary, born December 5, 1708. 2. Lieutenant John. 3. Elizabeth, died September 6, 1743. 4. Joanna. 5. Mehitable, died October 4, 1743. 6. Captain Joseph, born April 13, 1720. 7. Jane, born May 22, 1723.
(IV) Lieutenant John (3), son of John (2) and Jane (Thompson) Moss, was born about 1710, at Jamaica, Long Island, and resided at Stratford. He died February 3, 1789, and is buried in the cemetery at Monroe. He married (first) a Miss Sabine, and (second) Sarah, daughter of Thomas and Sarah (Jeanes) Salmon, born about 1729. Thomas Salmon came from London, England, to build the first Episcopal Church at Stratford. He owned lands now within the city of London. Mrs. Moss died April 29, 1785, in her sixty-ninth year, and is buried by the side of her husband. Children: 1. John. 2. William. 3. Daniel. 4. Sarah, born 1742. 5. Joseph. 6. Nancy, born 1744. 7. Jane. 8. Mabel. 9. & 10. Betsey (Elizabeth)., and Isaac, born April 1, 1755. 11. Elihu, January 22, 1759.
(V) Daniel, son of John (3) Moss, was born June 27, 1746, at Stratford, and graduated from Yale College in 1767. He was a merchant and farmer, and was engaged during the Revolution in furnishing supplies to the American Army. The great depreciation in colonial currency very much reduced his fortune, and he practically made a new start in Fairfield, Vermont, where he settled soon after the Revolution and died January 3, 1822. The Revolutionary rolls show that Daniel Moss was a member of Colonel Wyllis' Regiment in the Campaign about New
York, and was reported missing September 15, 1776. He appears as a private in the Sixth Regiment, Connecticut line, for the year 1777, enlisting January 4 that year, and credited to New Haven. The pay roll for the year 1781 also includes his name for the entire year. He married, June 27, 1766, Rebecca, daughter of Samuel and Abigail (Hollingsworth) Munson; she was born June 22, 1752, and died March 1, 1844. Children: 1. Betsey, born May 18, 1777. 2. William, October 2, 1778, died unmarried at Sheldon, Vermont, May 8, 1865. 3. Rebecca, born July 11, 1780, married Samuel Weed. 4 Lydia, April 28, 1781, died May 25, 1782. 5. Lydia, born April 3, 1783, married David Barlow. 6. Daniel, mentioned below. 7. Fanny, born October 31, 1790, married Samuel Mead.
(VI) Daniel (2), only son of Daniel (1) and Rebecca (Munson) Moss, was born October 10, 1785, in Fairfield, and died there April 6, 1860. He was a farmer and a prominent citizen of the community. He married, January 19, 1812, Adelia, daughter of Thomas and Clarissa (Cone) Northrup, who was born April 18, 1794, and died March 13, 1867. Children: 1. Rebecca, born October 18, 1813, married Bailey B. Nelson. 2. Harmon, born November 15, 1815, at Cambridge, Vermont. 3. Thomas and Northrup (twins), born august 1, 1819. Harmon Morse was a very capable man and exercised much influence in his section. He was father of Professor Anson D. Morse, of Amherst College, and Dr. Harmon Morse, of Johns Hopkins University.
(VII) Northrup Morse, a twin son of Daniel (2) and Adelia (Northrup) Moss, was born August 1, 1819, in Fairfield, where he grew up on the farm, and received such education as was provided by the common schools. As a boy he became clerk in a general store in his native town, and before attaining his majority removed to Malone, new York, where he was occupied in a similar manner. About the time that he became of age he was proprietor of a general store in Malone, and subsequently kept a retail shoe shore there. He retired soon after 1880, and died October 20, 1888. He was a member of the Congregational Church, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and an active Republican in politics, though not an office seeker. He married, April 17, 1844, Julia Isabelle, daughter of Rev. Ashbel Parmelee, of Malone. (See Parmelee VI). Of their six children, three are living: 1. Frances D., deceased; was wife of Sidney Warren, residing at Irving, Kansas. 2. Albert, died in childhood. 3. Daniel P., mentioned below. 4. William, in business in New York City, resides at Hackensack, New Jersey. 5. Harriet, married at Malone, New York, to F. M. Heath, of that town, resides in California. 6. Alfred, died in boyhood.
(VIII) Daniel Parmelee, eldest surviving son of Northrup and Julia (Parmelee) Morse, was born April 6, 1852, in Malone, where he spent his boyhood. He graduated from the public school, and was a student at the Franklin Academy at Malone. At the age of sixteen years he began his business career as a clerk in his father's store, and in 1872, when twenty years of age, went to New York City. There he found employment in the wholesale shoe store of Benedict Hall & Company, an after six years' service became a partner in the firm. After another period of six years he formed a partnership with Frank E. Rogers and established an independent business under the style of Morse & Rogers. This was incorporated in 1896 under the same name, and Mr. Morse is now president of the company. His energy and business capacity have contributed to the development of this establishment, one of the largest in the wholesale trade in the country, enjoying a large foreign trade in addition to its domestic business, and having offices in the West Indies and Central America. Mr. Morse is also president of the Edwin C. Burt Company, of Brooklyn, manufacturers of the celebrated Burt shoes. He is a
director of the Irving Exchange National Bank, the Manufacturers' Trust Company, the Mercahnts' Association, and the Northport electric Light Company, the latter concern being located near his home in Huntington, Long Island. Mr. Morse is president of the Franklin County Society in New York, and a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Union League and Arkwright Clubs of New York, and the Hamilton and Lincoln Clubs of Brooklyn, and also of the Northport Yacht Club. He is a trustee of the Clinton Avenue Congregational Church of Brooklyn, and an active Republican in politics, though he has never accepted any official position. A man of genial and social nature and pleasing manners, he is most democratic inhabit and enjoys the esteem of all who are brought in contact with him. He married, December 4, 1878, Adelia Zabrishi Terhune, born February 9, 1858, in Hackensack, New Jersey, daughter of Richard and Lydia (Ackerman) Terhune, of that place, descendants of the oldest families of New Jersey. Mr. and Mrs. Morse have has three sons and a daughter, namely: 1. Raymond Parmelee. 2. Henry New. 3. Marjory. 4. Daniel Parmelee (2). The daughter Marjory is deceased. Raymond P. is superintendent of the Edwin C. Burt Company's factory in Brooklyn. Henry N. is in the employ of Morse & Rogers. Both are graduates of the Brooklyn Polytechnic Preparatory School, and of Cornell University. Daniel P. is now a student at Brooklyn Preparatory School.
The ancestry of Mrs. Morse is traced to the French Huguenots, who removed from France to Holland before the Revocation of the Edith of Nantes. The first of record in New Amsterdam (New York) was Albert Albertse, who was found there February 16, 1654. His second son, Albert, was baptized in the Dutch Reformed Church at New Amsterdam, August 16, 1651, and was a farmer in Flatlands, Long Island. He was father of Richard (Dirck), who was born in Polifly, New Jersey. His son, Captain Nicholas, was born in Hackensack, January 15, 1736, and was father of Richard Nicholas, born October 31, 1763, in Hackensack. His fifth son, Peter Richard, was born July 5, 1803, on the homestead in Lodi, New Jersey, and married, September 1, 1824, Maria Brinkerhoff, born February 18, 1806, daughter of Ralph and granddaughter of Richard Brinkerhoff, of Ridgefield Park, New Jersey. Their eldest child, Richard Paul, was born April 4, 1828, and died June 4, 1892. He married, July 26, 1849, Sophia Euphemia Ackerman, born May 9, 1829, died November 9, 1900, daughter of Henry Lawrence and Lydia (Schoonmaker) Ackerman. The Ackerman and Zabriskie families, with whom the Terhunes are intermarried, were among the oldest in New Jersey, and are treated extensively in the Genealogical and Memorial History of the State of New Jersey, published in 1910, by the Lewis Historical Publishing Company, publishers of the present work.
The name Terhune was evidently an epithet or characterization applied to the descendants of Albert Albertse before surnames were in general use among the inhabitants of New Amsterdam. Albertse simply means son of Albert, and was never a real surname. Most of the Dutch immigrants in New Amsterdam followed this system, and adopted surnames some time after the settlement of New York.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.