Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
Austin, the immigrant ancestor, was born in England and settled in
Kingstown, Rhode Island. His name appear under date of September 15,
1661, in a list of sixty-five persons, residents of New port, Portsmouth
and Kingstown mostly, who were to have lots at the new settlement of
Misquamicut (Westerly). The lots were twelve rods by eighty, and each
man was to pay seven pounds. Austin had lot twelve, but never settled at
Westerly. He died before 1687. Children: 1. Jeremiah, lived at Kingstown
and Exeter, Rhode Island. 2. Edward, mentioned below. 3. Joseph, a blacksmith at Kingstown. 4. John, lived
(II) Edward, son of Robert Austin, lived at Kingstown, and died about 1731. Children: 1. Edward, mentioned below. 2. John (?), married Priscilla Weathers.
(III) Edward (2), son of Edward (1) Austin, died before 1749. He married Isabel, daughter of William and Priscilla Hardy. Edward was complained of by his mother-in-law December 28, 1730, saying that she could not live peaceably with him. He sold land April 20, 1742. He died before April 24, 1749, when his widow, Isabel, and two sons, Thomas and Jedediah, were ordered to appear before the town councils, as the sons were bound out as apprentices.
(IV) Jedediah, son of Edward (2) Austin, was born about 1730-35. The records give no account of his family. The birth records of but a comparatively small part of the family are found in the town books. The only characteristic name preserved in the family was Jedediah. He was apprenticed young and may have named his children for his wife' family or for the family in which he was brought up.
(V) Silas, believed to be the son of Jedediah Austin, was born in Kent county, Rhode Island, in 1753. The name Silas came from the Greenman family, and it is almost certain that his mother was a granddaughter of Edward Greenman, son of John Greenman, the immigrant. John had two sons, David and Edward, and a daughter, Content Greenman. Edward Greenman had two grandsons named Silas. Silas Austin was a soldier in the Revolution. He married Sarah, daughter of David Crandall. Austin removed to Little Hoosick, Massachusetts, and thence to Dutchess County where he lived several years and reared a large family. He removed from Dutchess County to Harrisburg, Lewis County, New York, in 1805, and resided there until his death in 1813 of the prevailing epidemic, black erysipelas. He was buried at Copenhagen, New York. His widow, Sarah Crandall Austin, born in 1754, died in 1829, aged seventy-five years, and was buried in the Austin cemetery in Denmark. She had a kind and benevolent disposition and was beloved by all who knew her. Children: 1. Grinman, (mentioned below). 2. Silas. 3. Sarah. 4. Beriah. 5. Agrippa. 6. Elizabeth. 7.& 8. Mary, and Eunice, twins. 9. Lucy. 10. Alva.
(V) Jonathan, brother of Silas Austin, born in March, 1755, in Kent County, Rhode Island; married, April 13, 1783, Mercy Goodspeed, of the same town. He removed to Dutchess County, and about 1804 to Harrisburg, New York, where he raised a large family. He was a soldier in the Revolution and drew a pension late in life. Children: 1. Isaac. 2. Jonathan. 3. Jedediah. 4. Eda. 5. Nathan. 6. Hosea. 7. Mercy. 8. Freeman. 9. Elenor. 10. Cynthia. 11. Nehemiah. 12. King. Silas and Jonathan Austin has two sisters, born and married in Rhode Island. Jonathan Austin died October 13, 1842, aged about eighty-seven, and was buried in the Austin cemetery; his wife, Mercy, died August 30, 1838, aged about seventy-two, and was also buried there.
(VI) Grinman, son of Silas Austin, was born in Richmond, Rhode Island, October 29, 1773. His personal name is undoubtedly from the surname Greenman, a family living in the same towns with the Austins in Rhode Island and doubtless connected by marriage. Grinman married Sarah, daughter of Joseph Holley, of Beekman, Dutchess County, New York, where she was born March 10, 1777. Grinman Austin came from Dutchess County to Denmark with his family in 1807, and located on a tract of land, then a wilderness, which he cleared, and on which he erected suitable buildings. His farm was two miles south of the village of Denmark, on the hill on the road leading to the No. 3 road, and is now owned in part by C. J. Twining, and Judson Lasher. Grinman was for several years engaged in making potash and pearlash, which at that time were about the only article of commerce sold by the settlers.
He has a fair education and taught school while living in Dutchess County. His wife, Sarah, died in Denmark, may 17, 1813, of black erysipelas, aged thirty-five years, six months. She was buried in the Austin Cemetery. He married (second), August 28, 1784, Catherine Skuyver, widow of Hiram Burr. She was born at Johnstown, New York, august 28, 1784. Grinman died September 21, 1834, aged nearly sixty-one years; his wife, Catherine, died of apoplexy, August 9, 18782, aged eighty-seven years, eleven months, and both are buried in the Austin cemetery, a short distance from their old home. Children of first wife, born at Beekman, Dutchess County, New York: 1. Joshua, January 7, 1797, mentioned below. 2. Betsey, April 6, 1798. 3. Jarvis, February 23, 1800. 4. Nursilla, December 11, 1803. 5. Seneca, August 24, 1805. 6. Crandall, August 6, 1807. 7. Harrison, July 22, 1908, at Denmark. 8. Sarah, January 24, 1813, at Denmark. Children of second wife: 9. Silas, born May 26, 1815. 10. Fanny, March 28, 1817. 11. Hiram, March 29, 1819. 12. Alva, May 6, 1823. 13. Jane Maria, July 1, 1821. 14. Martin, February 5, 1826.
(VII) Joshua, son of Grinman Austin, was born at Beekman, New York, January 7, 1797, and came to Denmark with the family when he was ten years old. He worked with his father in clearing the farm and building the house and barns. He was employed for a year or more by A. M. Norton, a prominent merchant of Denmark, then by Albert Vedder, who conducted a hotel on the farm now owned by H. E. Cook. This was during the exciting period of the War of 1812, when companies and regiments of soldiers were constantly passing through the town with heavy ordnance and other munitions of war. He married February 28, 1828, Irene Anderson, born in Cummington, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, August 12, 1801, daughter of Joseph and Hannah (Packard) Anderson, of Denmark. Her father was born in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, April 12, 1755, and enlisted in the Continental Army when he was but eighteen years old. He was in the command of Colonel Ethan Allen, May 10, 1775, when Fort Ticonderoga was surprised and taken, was in the siege of Crown Point, and in the battle of Bunker Hill, and was in service throughout the war and present at the surrender of Cornwallis in 1783. He was a private in Captain Posey's Company, with General Wheeler's Division. Anderson came with his family from Cummington in June, 1804, and settled in the wilderness of No. 3 Road, a mile south of what is now the village of Copenhagen. At that time he had eleven children, Irene being the youngest. His brother-in-law, John Scott Clark, who married his sister, Celia Anderson, in Cummington, came at the same time and settled on the farm since owned by Hon. Nathan Clark, on the West Road. Joshua Austin settled in 1830 on what is now known as Austin Street, and cleared a farm. His wife died October 3, 1865, aged sixty-four years. she was an ideal wife and mother, highly esteemed in the community for her many Christian virtues. She was buried in the family plot in riverside Cemetery at Copenhagen. Joshua Austin died on the farm, January 5, 1871, aged seventy-five. He and his wife were members in good standing in the Methodist Episcopal Church. Children: 1. Curtis Joshua, born at Denmark, December 20, 1828; taught school several years; was a farmer in Pinckney, where he died in April, 1886; married Adaline S. Daggett, of Denmark, April 20, 1851; she survived him a few years; their only surviving child is George Austin, a farmer at Rutland, New York, who married Jennie Roberts, of Copenhagen, and has no children. 2. Annie Irene, July 24, 1833, in Denmark; died in Lorraine Huddle, Jefferson County, New York, December 20, 1856; daughter, Mrs. Brayton Stamford, of Harrisburg. 3. Franklin Duane, mentioned below.
(VIII) Franklin Duane, son of Joshua Austin, was born at Denmark, December 1, 1840. He attended the district school until he was sixteen years old and studied several years in the Carthage and Lowville academies. He graduated from the Watertown Commercial College, October 17, 1860. As a student he showed the greatest proficiency in mathematical science and English composition. He became associate proprietor of the Lowville Commercial College, October 20, 1866, and was instructor in commercial branches at that institution during the succeeding fall and winter. From 1880 to 1884 he was engaged in growing and selling seeds and vegetable plants. Mr. Austin has been prominent in the temperance movement, and an earnest advocate of total abstinence. He joined Evening Star Lodge, No. 750, Independent Order of Good Templars, as a charter member, November 11, 1868, was secretary and worthy chief Templar several terms, was lodge deputy from August 3, 1871, until November 5, 1873, when the lodge surrendered its charter. He was frequently elected a delegate to gatherings of county and state lodges of Good Templars. He was treasurer of Lewis County Lodge, No. 8, 1872, and has served as inspector and clerk of elections several times. He was appointed a notary public March 21, 1883, and has been re-appointed every two years since then, making twenty-seven consecutive years that he has held that office.
He initiated the movement to celebrate the Centennial of Lewis County by petition to the board of supervisors and agitating the subject in the newspapers. The exercises were held at Forest Park, Lowville, and he was appointed town historian on that occasion. He has devoted much time to historical research, and is a recognized authority on the early history of the town and vicinity, and has collected a large amount of valuable historical matter. He has been a member of the New York State Historical Association several years. He is the only descendant and representative of two prominent pioneer families of Denmark--families who assisted with industry and indomitable courage in clearing the forests where now are fertile fields, and who aided with integrity and patriotism inlaying the foundations of business, church, school, society and government in the community. He has been always a staunch Republican, though sometimes constrained to vote against his own party when he believed public interest demanded it. He was one of the vice-presidents of the Harrison and Morton Republican Club, of Copenhagen, in 1888, and secretary of the Republican League Club, of Copenhagen in 1904. He is well known among the newspaper men of the county. He has been a local correspondent for the Journal and republican, Lowville Times, Lewis County Democrat, Watertown Post, Black River Gazette, Croghan News, Turin Gazette, Lewis County Leader, Carthage Tribune, American Cultivator, Copenhagen News, Seed Time and Harvest, and the American Agriculturist. His news items and article are always reliable, crisply written, and to the point. He has done much clerical work requiring skill and accuracy. He has been a ready scribe and accountant on all occasions, and has kept the books for a large number of cheese factories in this section, and has never been known to make an error. He was appointed census enumerator for his district in 1905 when the state census was taken; also in 1910 for the same district when the federal census was taken. He has always taken a lively interest in public affairs and in state and national politics, and probably has the most complete library of state and national reports and documents and government publications to be found in Lewis County.
He married, March 13, 1872, Mary Melissa, daughter of Thomas and Louisa (Greene) Murphy, of Champion, New York. Children, born at Denmark: 1. Stanton Duane, mentioned below. 2. Grace Irene, June 13, 1878; married, November 25, 1903, Lynn C. Vary, of Harrisburgh; child, Lyle Edward Vary, born August 22, 1909. 3. Charles Rea, born June 17, 1880; married October 28, 1903, Mary Louisa Clark, of Harrisburg; child: Helen Molly, born May 13, 1906. 4. Clark Emerson, born March 4, 1891; died October 9, 1891.
(IX) Stanton Duane, son of Franklin Duane Austin, was born December 11, 1873, at Denmark, New York. He attended the district school until he was fifteen, and the Copenhagen high school several years, was a studious and diligent pupil and made rapid progress, graduating from the teachers training class August 1, 1897. He taught school several years at Housville, Martinsburg village and other places, was principal of the Hailsboro Union school for two years, and has been principal of the Union high school at Barneweld, Oneida County, New York, for the past three years. He was vice-president of the Oneida County Teachers' Association in 1909, and president in 1910. He was a student in the State Normal School at Potsdam in 1906, taking a classical normal course. He has always been especially proficient in mathematics and the natural sciences, and his reputation as a successful teacher is high.
RUSSELL. The ancestry of the Russell family has been traced to the remote antiquity and includes many ancient royal lineages.
(I) Sigurd Hring Turstain, was King of Sweden in A. D. 733.
(II) Ermengarde, daughter of Sigurd, married, about 750, Throud, King of Throndheim, in Norway,
(III) Eisdan, their son, was king of Throndheim in780.
(IV) Halfdan, son of Eisdan, was king of Throndheim, in810
(V) Eisdan Glunru, son of Halfdan, was King of Throndheim in 840.
(VI) Hilda, daughter of Eisdan Glunru, was countess of Upland; married, in 850, Iver, Earl of Upland.
(VII) Eisdan Glunru, their son, was Prince of Upland in 870, a warrior and a Viking.
(VIII) Rogvald, his son, was the first recorded Earl of Moore. The first record of him is dated 885. One of his sons was Earl of Orkneys and discovered the use of peat for fuel. Another son afterwards became Duke Robert of Normandy.
(IX) Hrellegur or Drogo, son of Togvald, succeeded his father as Earl of Moere in 896.
(X) Rollo Turstain, son of Hrellgur, was Earl of Moere in Norway, succeeded his father in 920.
(XI) Auslech Turstain, son of Rollo Turstain, was made first Baron of Briequebec in 943.
(XII) Turstain Fastenburgh, son of Auslech Tustain, became Baron of Bricquebec about 980.
(XIII) William Bertrand, son of Turstain, was his son Hugh at the battle of Hastings. He was a cousin of Matilda, Countess of Flanders, and a cousin also of William the Conqueror; became Baron of Bricquebec in 1028, and was the first to use the family crest, a lion rampant crowned.
(XIV) Hugh, Lord of Barreville and Le Rozel, son of William Bertrand, took the name of Le Rozel from the castle he inherited in England. He was born about 1021 in Bricquebec, Normandy, and accompanied the Conqueror to England, taking part in the battle of Hastings, and was allotted large properties in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, England.
(XV) Richard De Rozel, son of Hugh, was also Lord of Rozel, took part in the First Crusade, and inherited a great estate from his father.
(XVI) Hugh De Rozel, son of Richard, was born in 1119, died in 1163, owing large estates, the grater part of which he gave away in charity. He was also in the First Crusade. The record of his marriage does not give the name of his wife, but describes her as a woman of large wealth.
(XVII) Robert De Russell, son of Hugh, born about 1130, spelled the name Rosel; was in the command of the Earl of Chester at the Battle of Lincoln. He died about 1201.
(XVIII) Odo Russell, son of Robert, lived on the family estates at Berwick, England.
(XIX) John Russell, son of Odo, married, in 1215, Rose Bardolf and was one of the barons present at the signing of the Magna Charta by King John.
(XX) Sir Ralph Russell, son of John, married, about 1230, Isabel de Newmarch; was sheriff of Wiltshire; attended King Henry in 1242 in the war with France.
(XXI) Sir William Russell, son of Sir Ralph, was born in 1257; married Eleanor de Aule; died in 1311.
(XXII) Sir Theobald Russell, son of Sir William, was born in 1304; married Eleanor LaTour; was killed in the attack on Helen's Point at the age of thirty-two years.
(XXIII) Sir William Russell, son of Sir Theobald, was a member of Parliament in 1328-48; married Lady Muschamp.
(XXIV) Sir Henry Russell, son of Sir William, was member of Parliament from 1423 to 1442.
(XXV) Sir John Russell, son of Sir Henry, married Elizabeth Berringham; was speak of the House of Commons in the second year of Henry VI, and was again in Parliament in the tenth year of that reign and in 1450.
(XXVI) John Russell, Esq., son of Sir John, was keeper of the Royal Artillery in Carisbrook Castle; married Elizabeth Foxmore.
(XXVII) James Russell, Esq., son of John, was member of Parliament in the reign of Henry VIII; married Alicia Wyse, of a prominent family.
(XXVIII) John Russell, Esq., son of James, was afterwards the first Earl of Bedford, and his history is familiar to all students of English history; died March 14, 1555.
(XXIX) Lord Francis Russell, son of John, was second Earl of Bedford; married Margaret, widow of John Gostick; died July 28, 1585.
(XXX) Sir Francis Russell, son of Lord Francis, married Elizabeth Wyndham; died at Highgate in 1584.
(XXXI) Edward Russell, son of Francis, was third Earl of Bedford; born March, 1575; married, December, 1594, Lucy Harrington; he died May 3, 1627.
(XXXII) John Russell, younger son of Edward, was born in England in 1597; married, in 1630, and came to Boston, Massachusetts, with his wife and son, John, in 1635. He removed to Wethersfield, Connecticut, in 1648, and went with the early settlers to Hadley, Massachusetts, where he died May 8, 1680, aged, according to the record, eighty-five years. He married (second) Dorothy, widow of Rev. Henry Smith. He left sons, John, mentioned below, and Philip.
(XXXIII) Rev. John Russell, son of John Russell, was born in England, 1626, and came to this country with his father as a child. He graduated from Harvard College in 1645 and succeeded the Rev. Henry Smith as minister at Wethersfield. Religious dissension in the church there led to his removal, with a large part of the church members, to Hadley, in 1659-60. In the chimney of his home the regicide judges of Charles I, Goffe and Whalley, found a refuge. He married, January 28, 1649, Mary, daughter of Worshipful John and Dorothy (Mott) Talcott; (second) Rebecca, daughter of Thomas Newbury; (third) Phebe Gregson, daughter of Thomas, and widow of Rev. John Whiting. Rev. John Russell died December 10, 1692, his widow September 19, 1730. His epitaph reads: "Who first gathered and for thirty-three years faithfully governed the flock of Christ in Hadley till the Chief Shepherd suddenly called him off to receive his reward in the sixty-sixth year of his age, December 10, 17692. Rebecca, made by God a meet help to Mr. John Russell and fellow-laborer in Christ's work--a wife, virtuous, pious mother in Israel lyes here in full assurance of a joyful resurrection." Children of first wife: 1. John, born September 23, 1850. 2. Rev. Jonathan, September 18, 1655. Children of second wife: 3. Rev. Samuel, November 4, 1660, mentioned below. 4. Elizur, November 8, 1663. 5. Daniel, February 8, 1665 or 1666, died young.
(XXXIV) Rev. Samuel Russell, son of Rev. John Russell, was born November 4, 1660; graduated from Harvard College in 1681; married Abigail, daughter of John Whiting; was pastor at Deerfield, Massachusetts, and Branford, Connecticut, where he died June 25, 1731. A common prayer book containing his signature, bearing date of 1700, is in the possession of his fourth grandson, Lawrence Russell. This book was printed in England, 1633. He had Samuel, mentioned below.
(XXXV) Samuel, son of Rev. Samuel Russell, was born at Branford, 1693; graduated from Yale College in 1712; died 1746. He was the first minister at North Guilford, Connecticut.
(XXXVI) Thomas, son of Rev. Samuel Russell, was born October 6, 1727, at Branford; graduated from Yale in 1749; was brigade surgeon in the Revolution; married, about 1760, Mary Patterson; died in 1803 at Piedmont, New Hampshire. Children: 1. Thomas. 2. Samuel. 3. John Hancock, mentioned below.
(XXXVII) John Hancock, son of Thomas Russell, was born about 1760; graduated from Yale College. In 1802 he removed to Malone, New York, where he practiced law for many years. In 1829 he came to Canton, New York, with his sons, and died at an advanced age about ten years later. He married Anna Wood, of Malone. Children: 1. Cynthia. 2. Lucretia. 3. Hannah. 4. Amanda. 5. Victor Thomas. 6. Thomas Victor (twin of preceding), mentioned below. 7. John Leslie, mentioned below.
(XXXVIII) Thomas victor, second son of John Hancock and Anna (Wood) Russell, was born January 17, 1817, at Malone, New York, and was educated in the public schools of his native town. He engaged in the study of law, was admitted to the bar, and early in life removed to Canton, New York, where he became prominent as an attorney and filled carious public offices, including that of district attorney, of St. Lawrence County. Mr. Russell was an eminent advocate and participated in the trial of many noted cases. He particularly excelled in the criminal branch of the law, and his conduct of these won for him wide notice. In August, 1844, he married Lucia L. Conkey, born in Canton, daughter of Thomas Hamilton Conkey. Children: 1. Charles Hazen, mentioned below. 2. Annie, wife of William Stearne, residing in Boston, Massachusetts. 2. Benjamin, a citizen of Brooklyn, Greater New York.
(XXXVIII) John Leslie, son of John Hancock and Anna (Wood) Russell, was born at Fairfax, Vermont, February 11, 1805. He removed in 1807 with his parents to Malone, Franklin County, and was educated at the common school and academy of that place, entering the University of Vermont in 1823. He was graduated in 1826 at the age of twenty-one and for a year read law with Judge Ingles, of Union Village, Washington County, New York, and for another year with Asa Hascall, of Malone. He was admitted to the bar in 1828, and in the fall of 1829 moved to Canton, where he followed his profession until 1844, when he became a member of the state assembly. In 1834 he was appointed county treasurer, which office he held until the adoption of the constitution of 1836, when he was elected to that position and held it until 1855. He was postmaster of Canton under Presidents Jackson and Van Buren. In 1846 he was a member of the constitutional convention, serving on the committee on currency and banking., On the death of A. C. Low, county clerk of St. Lawrence County, Mr. Russell was appointed to fill the un-expired term, and held the office for the benefit of Mr. Low's widow, turning over to her at the close of his incumbency the entire proceeds of the office. Mr. Russell was a close friend of Governor Silas Wright, and in sympathy with him in politics, and was for a generation conspicuous in the county, at the bar, in positions of public trust, and in the esteem of his fellow-citizens. His death occurred April 19, 1861. He married, in 1832, Mary Wead. Children: 1. Mary. 2. Ada. 3. Sybil, resides in California. 4. Leslie Wead, mentioned below.
(XXXIX) Charles Hazen, elder son of Thos. V. and Lucia L. (Conkey) Russell, was born July 11, 1845, in Canton, new York, and began his education in the public schools of that town. He was a student at St. Lawrence University of that place, and removed to Philadelphia, where he pursued the study of law and was admitted to the bar in 1877. He settled in Brooklyn, New York, and began the practice of his profession. Two years later he was elected to the assembly, and was re-elected the following year. In 1881 he was elected a member of the state senate, and served with distinction in that body. He was chosen by the Republican Party as a presidential elector in 1900. Mr. Russell takes high rank among the attorneys of Greater New York, and maintains an office on Broadway, Manhattan. AS a member of the firm of Russell & Percy he is interested in various financial institution, being a trustee of the Nassau Trust Company and Washington Trust Company, and a director of the Mechanics' Bank of Brooklyn. He is associated with numerous clubs, including the Republican Club of New York, St. Lawrence, and the Young Republican and Union League of Brooklyn. He is a trustee of St. Lawrence University at Canton, and of Wells College, Aurora, New York. He married (first) January 30, 1878, Stella Goodrich, born May 1, 1854, died 1902, daughter of Colonel William Bingham Goodrich, of Canton. He married (second) in 1906, Mrs. Annah Ayres Linguist.
(XXXIX) Leslie Wead, son of John Leslie Russell, was born in Canton, New York, April 15, 1840. He was educated in the common schools and academy at Canton, and from sixteen to eighteen years of age, taught a district school in the vicinity. He then began the study of law in the office of Nicholas Hill, Peter Cagger and John H. Porter, of Albany, and remained with that famous law firm until 1859 when he went to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and entered the law offices of Carey & Pratt. In 1861 he returned to Canton and was admitted to the bar May 7 of that year. he had accepted a commission as first lieutenant in the First Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and was about to start for the front when he received a telegram announcing his father' death and calling him home. He undertook the settlement of his father's estate, and began the practice of his profession at Canton. In 1862 he formed a partnership with William H. Sawyer, and the firm continued until December 29, 1876, when Mr. Sawyer was appointed to the supreme court bench. After that time he had no law partner. In 1867 Mr. Russell was elected to the constitutional convention of the state of New York and served on the committee on suffrage of which Horace Greeley was chairman, and also on the committee on corporations. In 1869 he was elected district attorney of St. Lawrence County, but declined re-nomination at the end of his term. From 1869 to 1872 he was law professor in St. Lawrence University, lecturing twice a week. In 1876 he was nominated by both parties and elected supervisor of the town of Canton. In 1876 he was presidential elector on the Republican ticket; in 1877 he was elected county judge. While supervisor he was largely instrumental in effecting a permanent settlement on the troublesome question of the location of public buildings and securing the erection by the county of an elegant county building in Canton. Mr. Russell was an active member of the building committee. While he was serving his term of six years as county judge, he was chosen attorney-general of the state of New York, in November, 1881, and served with distinction, marked efficiency and fidelity for two year. Removing to New York city he practiced there from January 1, 1884, to January 1, 1892, when he took his place on the supreme court bench.
In November, 1890, he was elected to congress, but before he took his seat was nominated by both Democratic and Republican parties and elected justice of the supreme court, an office he filled with honor until October, 1902, when he resigned to resume the practice of law in New York . He died February 3, 1903. For many years there was hardly a case of important in St. Lawrence County in which Judge Russell was not retained. His and varied practice, his natural fairness of mind, soundness of judgment and profound learning eminently qualified him for his judicial position and won him honor and distinction in his office. He was a vestryman of Grace Protestant Episcopal Church of Canton. He married, October 19, 1864, Harriet, daughter of Rev. R. F. Lawrence, a Presbyterian clergyman of Malone, New York, a descendant of the distinguished Lawrence family of Watertown and Groton, Massachusetts. She was born October 30, 1843, at Claremont, New Hampshire. Children: 1. Lawrence, born July 27, 1867, mentioned below. 2. Jessie, November 9, 1873, died July 13, 1908. 3. Robert, December 28, 1876. 4. Harriet, February 14, 1879. Two other died in infancy, John and Mary.
(XL) Lawrence Russell, son of Hon. Leslie Wead Russell, was born July 27, 1867, at Malden, Massachusetts. He attended Canton Union School until fourteen years of age, then studied for a year at St. John's School and for three years at St. Paul's School, Concord, New Hampshire. After studying law for a year in the office of his father, he entered Williams College, but withdrew to study his profession in Columbia Law School, New York, from which he was graduated in the spring of 1889. He was admitted to the bar in February, 1890, and in October following opened his office in Canton, where his father and grandfather had practiced before him. He has enjoyed a large and interesting practice. In politics he is a Republican. He is a member of St. Lawrence Lodge, No. 111, Free and Accepted Masons of Canton; of St. Lawrence Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity; vestryman of Grace Episcopal Church.
He married, April 5, 1893, Mabel Bostwick, of New York City, born October 31, 1868, daughter of Charles Byron and Annette (Cockburn) Bostwick, the former of whom was for many years a merchant in New York City. Children, born at Canton: 1.& 2. Mabel and Dorothy (Twins), January 17, 1894. 3. Mary, November 11, 1895. 4. Leslie Wead, born April 23, 1898, died November, 1898. 5. Lawrence Russell, born January 23, 1902.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.