Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
Jones was born in North Wales, in the United Kingdom, September 17,
1811. He married Ann Hughes, who after her husband died came in May,
1852, to America, with her son John Byron Jones, and settled in Lewis
County, New York.
John Byron Jones, son of Morgan Jones, was born in North Wales, September 26, 1846. He attended the public schools, and engaged in farming in Lewis County until the beginning of the Civil War. He enlisted in the summer of 1863 in Company F, Fourteenth New York Regiment of Heavy Artillery, which entered the service as infantry. He took part in the following engagements and battles: Wilderness, May 5-7, 1864; Nye River, May 10,1864; Spottsylvania, May 11-19, 1864; North Anna River, May 23-26, 1864; Tolopotoma Creek, May 30, 1864; Bethesda Church, May 31, 1864; Shady Grove Road, June 2; Cold Harbor, June 3-12; Petersburg, June 16-18; Siege of Petersburg, June 19 to August 19; the Crater, July 30, at which the Fourteenth led the charges; Blicks Station, August 19; Weldon Railroad, August 21, where the fated skirmish line went out, and of a hundred men but three escaped wounds, capture or death, among them John B. Jones; Pegram Farm, September 29; Poplar Spring Church, September 30; Second Siege of Petersburg, November 298, 1864, to April 3, 1865; Hatchers Run, February, 1865; Boydton Plank Road, February, 1865; Fort Stedman, March 25, 1865, where he was captured by the Confederates and taken to Libby Prison, remaining until April 5. He was wounded at Spottsylvania. He was discharged at Albany, New York, June 16, 1865. He is now a pensioner of the United States government. After the war he returned to Lowville and resumed the occupation of farming. He continued until 1880 on the homestead, and then entered the employ of M. W. Van Amber. After four years he resigned. He was for three years with Danet & Pell, at Danetburg. Since then he had been in the employ of J. E. Haberer Furniture Company of Lowville, formerly the firm of Haberer Brothers. He is a member of the Baptist church of Lowville, and of G. D. Bailey Post, No. 200, G. A. R., Department of New York, and he has served as quartermaster for over seventeen years.
He married, December 30, 1869, at Copenhagen, New York, Emma Diana Allen, born November 5, 1851, daughter of Waters Allen (see Allen). Children: 1. E. Darwin, born June 12, 1871; superintendent of George h. Crandall factory, Cohoes, New York; married Cora Crosby: children: i. Mildred E., born October 28, 1893, died April 14, 1897, ii. Verah Louise, born December 11, 1898, iii. Norma C., April 26, 1906. 2. Ellen Anna, born November 21, 1873; married Charles M. Garnsey, of Lowville; children: i. Wellington Miller Garnsey, born March 17, 1897, ii. Mildred Estella Garnsey, April 2, 1900, iii. Emma Elizabeth Garnsey, September 12, 1903. 3. Wellington Stroud, born January 31, 1878; now traveling salesman of L. S. Munson, a wholesale dealer, of Albany, New York; also conducts a farm known as the M. W. Van Amber homestead. 4. Emma Estella, born August 5, 1885; educated in the public schools and Lowville Academy, graduate of the Teachers' Training class, now teacher in Lowville Union Free School.
(The Allen Line)
(I) James Allen, immigrant ancestor, very likely came to Dedham with his uncle, Rev. John Allen, about 1637. He was a grandson of Reginald Allen, of Colby, Norfolk, England. the first mention of him in the records is dates April 6, 1638, when "Jeames Allen accepted to haue sixe acres layd out for him in yt corner by Jeffery Myngey yf ther if may be fownd fitt." He received other grants at various times. He was admitted to the church October 2, 1646, and made a freeman May 26, 1647.
In 1648 his estate was valued at two pounds, and his tax was rated at three shillings five pence. In 1649 some of the inhabitants of Dedham made a company in order to form a settlement at Boggestow, upon the Charles River, now known as Medfield, and he was one of the first thirteen proprietors and the fifth to be granted land in the new town. The committee which carried on the affairs of the town at first granted him land, June 19, 1650, when it laid out the thirteen house lots. His lot was on South Street, near the present residence of Mr. Rhodes. In 1650 his estate was valued at 139 pounds. He was again granted land in 1653, near that of his son Joseph. He received other grants, and owned tracts on both sides of the river. His will was dated September 23, 1676. He left his home, barn, etc., to his son-in-law, Joseph Clark, and as he had given his house on South Street to his son Nathaniel, he must have owned two places. He married, in Dedham, March 16, 1638, Ann Guild, who died in Medfield, March 29, 1673, and he died there, September 27, 1676. Children, all born in Dedham, except the youngest: 1. John, December 4, 1639. 2. Martha, December 11, 1641. 3. Mary, twin with Martha. 4. Sarah, May 4, 1644. 5. James, April 28, 1646. 6. Nathaniel, August 29, 1648. 7. Joseph, mentioned below.
(II) Joseph, son of James Allen, was born in Medfield, June 24, 1652. He settled in the northern part of the town on Castle Hill, known as the Allen Place afterwards. He was granted two lots of land in 1673, one between the road leading to "Goodman Morse's" and land owned by his father, below Samuel Wight's land. The other lot was between his father's land and that owned by Samuel Wight, bounded on the east by the highway leading to Natick. He was a copper by trade, and his house and shop were built before King Philip's War. February 21, 1676, the Indians determined to burn the town, and his property was among the first to receive their attention. They took shavings from the shop, piled them on the kitchen floor, and set them on fire; but the shavings had been piled on a trap door, which feel into the cellar when burned, and extinguished the flames. No other damage was done, although all of the other houses in that part of the town were destroyed. September 21, 1670, he received from his father six acres of upland and one acre of meadow land, and this was probably his share in his father's will, as his name was not on the will, which was dated two days later. In 1675 and 1701 his name is on the list of proprietors, and he was made a freeman October 11, 1682. In 1688 he was sealer of weights and measures, and he and his wife were admitted to the first parish in 1697. He married, in Seakonk, (Rehoboth), November 10, 1673, Hannah, born there October 22, 1654, died in Medfield, 1730, daughter of William Sabin. He died in Medfield, January 14, 1703. Children, all born in Medfield: 1. Joseph, December 19, 1676. 2. Hannah, June 23, 1679. 3. Daniel, April 21, 1681. 4. David, March 22, 1683. 5. Noah, April 21, 1685. 6. Eleazer, August 25, 1688. 7. Jeremiah, August 5, 1690. 8. Hezekiah, November 3, 1692. 9. Abigail, October 24, 1694. 10. Nehemiah, mentioned below. 11. Thankful, probably died young. 12. Mary, probably died young.
(III) Nehemiah, son of Joseph Allen, was born in Medfield, April 22, 1699. He sold his right of inheritance to his brother Noah, and settled in Sherburne. About 1745 he removed to Sturbridge. He married, about 1722, Mary Parker, who died in Sturbridge, January 27, 1771, and he died there, November 1, 1785. Children, born in Sherburne: 1. Timothy, September 5, 1723, died young. 2. Nehemiah, July 22, 1724, died young. 3. Hannah, July 29, 1725. 4. Eliphalet, August 24, 1727. 5. Nehemiah, October 17, 1729. 6. John, February 13, 1731-32, mentioned below. 7. Jacob, February 24, 1733-34. 8. Abel, February 20, 1735-36. 9. Mary, April 16, 1738. 10. David, December 23, 1739. 11. Abigail, December 23, 1741. 12. Timothy, in Sturbridge, March 25, 1744. 13. Abner, in Sturbridge, August 22, 1746.
(IV) John, son of Nehemiah Allen, was born in Sherburne, February 13, 1731-32. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Aaron and Hannah Allen. She was born in Sturbridge, March 29, 1743, and died there, June 9, 1803. Children, all born in Sturbridge: 1. Miriam, February 7, 1767. 2. Zerniah, May 30, 1769. 3. Elizabeth, April 25, 1771. 4. Moses, March 13, 1773. 5. John, August 27, 1776. 6. Waters, August 30, 1778, mentioned below. 7. Polly, October 8, 1784. 8. Simeon, December 5, 1786. The records five "A child of John Allen," died July 6, 1803.
(V) Waters, son of John Allen, was born at Sturbridge, Massachusetts, August 30, 1778, died, 1850. He was a man of earnest patriotism and served a full enlistment term in the war with Great Britain, 1812, and his widow received a grant of 160 acres from the government. He settled in Turin, Lewis County, New York, and was a blacksmith by trade. He married Anna Gillmore in Sturbridge, Massachusetts; she died in Brownville, Jefferson County, New York, 1875.
(VI) Waters (2), son of Waters (1) Allen, was born at Sturbridge, Massachusetts, July 5, 1819. He married Sarah Jane Converse, born at Ellisburg, Jefferson County, New York, September 25, 1819. He was a farmer. Waters Allen died at Brownville, New York, May 6, 1860; his wife died at Martinsburg, Lewis County, New York, March 24, 1884. Children: 1. Joel Elbridge, born November 14, 1843, at Martinsburg, Lewis County, New York; married Emma V. Butts, and had Waters and Clarence Eugene. 2. Anna E., born September 9, 1847, in Orleans, Jefferson County, New York; married (first) John P. Reed (deceased); (second) Lewis Coffin (deceased); child of first husband, Carrie F. Reed. 3. Emma Diane, born November 5, 1851, at Orleans, New York.
BARNES. The origin of this surname has never been definitely determined. One assertion is that its remote bearers were of the Saxon race and spelled the name "Bainers," while another traces its origin to the Norse work "Bjorne," meaning a warrior. It is claimed that the English ancestry of the Barnes Family in America has been traced back to the fourteenth century. Three immigrants bearing the name of Thomas Barnes arrived in New England from the mother country prior to 1638. One settled in Hingham, Massachusetts; another in New Haven, Connecticut and the third Thomas located in Hartford. The family about to be mentioned is descended form the last-named immigrant. The muster rolls of the American Revolution and the War of 181-15 record the services of several volunteers name Barnes, and they rallied to the support of the federal government in the great Civil Strife in 1861-65.
(1) Thomas Barnes, one of the first settlers of Hartford, Connecticut, served in the Pequot War (1636-37), and in 1639 received a grant of six acres of land in Hartford as a reward for his services. He also received a grant of fifty acres in Farmington, Connecticut, of which town he was one of the first settlers, going there from Hartford in 1646, and he shared in all of the subsequent land distribution s there until his death, which occurred in 1688. At that time Farmington included within its limits the present town of Southington, New Britain, Plainfield, Bristol, Burlington and Avon. The Christian name of his first wife, whom he probably married shortly after settling in Farmington, was Mary. She was convicted of witchcraft and executed in 1658. He married (second) Mary Andros (or Andrews), of Farmington, born in 1644, daughter of John Andros. She survived him and became the second wife of Jacob Bronson. Children of first union: 1. Sarah. 2. Benjamin. 3. Joseph. Children of second Marriage: 4. Thomas. 5. Ebenezer.
(II) Ebenezer, son of Thomas And Mary (Andros) Barnes, was born in Farmington, died in 1756. He settled in the southerly part of the town of Bristol, and erected a large tavern on the Plainsfield Road, which he conducted for many years. He married, April 8, 1699, Deborah, daughter of Samuel and Deborah Orvis. Children: 1. Ebenezer. 2. Thomas. 3. Anna. 4. Jedediah. 5. Gideon. 6. Stephen. 7. Deborah. 8. Abiah. 9. Mary. 10. Esther. 11. William. 12. Abigail. 13. David. 14. Amos. 15. John. 16. Lucy.
(III) Amos, fourteenth child of Ebenezer and Deborah (Orvis) Barnes, was born in Bristol, Connecticut, November 30, 1731, died June 6, 1818. As there is a record of his having kept a hotel, it is not improbable that he succeeded his father in carrying on the tavern in Bristol, but information concerning him is very meagre. In 1798 he removed to Lewis County, New York, where his son Judah had settled the previous year, and he died in Turin, New York. His wife, Elizabeth, died March 14, 1816. Among his children was Judah, see forward.
(IV) Judah, son of Amos Barnes, was born in Bristol, Connecticut, January 20, 1755, died in Turin, New York, February 23, 1821. He was married in his native town to Hepzibah Wood, born January 8, 1756, died April 3, 1813. In the spring of 1797 Judah Barnes and his family started from Bristol ina conveyance drawn by oxen, and after a journey of six weeks arrived at a point near Collinsville, Lewis County, New York. he purchased lot 28 in what is now Deweyville, town of Turin, and, having cut his way two and one-half miles through an unbroken wilderness to his new possession, he made a clearing, erected a dwelling house, which is still standing, and, assisted by his father who joined him the following year, he built the first sawmill in that section. In the summer of 1798 quite a colony of settlers arrived, and as his was the only house in the new settlement it sheltered besides his own no less than six other families until dwellings could be built for their occupancy. For some time these pioneers subsisted chiefly upon fish and game provided by Judah Barnes' son, Martin. Judah Barnes was identified with the early history of Turin, serving as judge of the county court for several years, and as a member of the assembly in 1808-09. He was a member of the First Congregational Church, which was organized September 19, 1802, by the Rev. John Taylor, of Deerfield, Massachusetts. Children of Judah and Hepzibah (Wood) Barnes, all born in Bristol, Connecticut, were: 1. Elizabeth, born October 22, 1773, died January 3, 1814. 2. Esther, August 12, 1775, died July 20, 1826. 3. Amos, October 9, 1778. 4. Erastus, August 7, 1781, died August 6, 1834. 5. Nancy, April 7, 1783, died April, 1833. 6. Martin, see forward. 7. Chauncey, June 17, 1786, died August 11, 1825. 8. Permetia, July 18, 1788, died October, 1853. 9. Sophia, June 12, 1790; died in 1871. 10. Lemuel, January 12, 1792, died September 30, 1813. 11. Sophronia, November 19, 1794, died November 25, 1838. 12. Hepzibah, July 3, 1795.
(V) Martin, sixth child of Judah and Hepzibah (Wood) Barnes, was born in Bristol, Connecticut, January 21, 1785, died in Turin, New York, February 13, 1862. He accompanied his parents to Turin, was reared a pioneer, and when but thirteen years old proved his ability as a hunter. Upon reaching manhood he engaged in farming, but still devoted a considerable portion of his time to hunting, and for many years furnished large quantities of venison to the Albany market. He married, April 3, 1812, Henrietta Platts, a descendant of an early settler in Rowley, Massachusetts; she died August 23, 1824. He married (second) Esther Clapp, born April 17, 1797, died December 21, 1852, daughter of Luther Clapp and a descendant of Captain Roger Clapp, of Dorchester and Boston, Massachusetts. He married (third) January 17, 1854, Triphena Kingsbury, born April 5, 1796. Children of first union: 1. Louisa, born June 4, 1819, died July, 1905. 2. Artemecia, March 28, 1820, died April 9, 1859. Children of second marriage: 4. Martin, see forward. 5. Henrietta, born October 19, 1836.
(VI) Martin (2), son of Martin (1) and Esther (Clapp) Barnes, was born in Turin, August 22, 1826, died there November 11, 1884. He succeeded to the possession of the homestead and was an energetic tiller of the soil, realizing a comfortable prosperity as the result of his labors. He married Mary E., daughter of Milo and Achsah (Shepard) Clark. Children: 1. Clark Martin, see forward. 2., Frank J., born April 23, 1864; married Clara M. Burdick. 3. Clara D., April 6, 1869; married Robert Evans. The mother of these children is still living and resides at the homestead.
(VII) Clark Martin, eldest child of Martin (2) and Mary E. (Clark) Barnes, was born in Turin, June 9, 1855. He was educated in the Turin public schools, and after the completion of his studies he assisted his father in carrying on the homestead far, acquiring a good knowledge of agriculture. After his father's death he assumed the entire management of the farm, and has ever since carried it on in the interest of his mother, who is its owner. The Barnes farm, which has now been in the possession of the family for more then one hundred years, is desirably located and exceedingly fertile. In 1908 Mr. Barnes purchased the Edgerton farm (so called), situated in West Turin and comprising one hundred and fifty-seven acres. He formerly devoted his energies almost exclusively to market gardening, but at the present time is quite extensively engaged in the dairy business, keeping for that purpose a herd of about forty cows. His market gardening interests are still quite extensive, and he produces cabbages, besides large quantities of tomatoes and other vegetables. In politics he acts with the Democratic party and has served with ability as assessor, collector and highway commissioner. He is a member of Turin Grange, Patrons of Husbandry. Mr. Barnes married, at Geneva, New York, February 19, 1885, Mary A. Rowlands, born in Wales, April 10, 1859, and came to America when about ten years of age. She is a daughter of Idwell Rowlands, a native of Wales, who came to America for the first time when a young man, and has since crossed the Atlantic five times. Upon his second visit to his native country he married Ann Roberts and remained there some fourteen years, during which time four children were born. Returning to the United States, he decided to settle here permanently, and, sending for his wife and children, located near Constableville, New York. Children of Idwell and Ann (Roberts) Rowlands are: 1. Mary A. 2. Jane, married Robert Roberts, and died January 17, 1900, leaving three children. 3. Ruth. 4. Eleanor. 5. Harold. 6. Jeremiah, died August 9, 1886. 7. William. 8. Catherine, married Howard Fairchild. 9. Edwin. 10. Lavinia. Idwell Rowlands died March 20, 1907. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes have three children: 1. Garry M., born May 18, 1887; graduated from the Turin Union School, in 1905, and from the Albany Normal College in 1908; is now teaching in the Delmar, New York, grammar school; married, December 31, 1907, Grace Toey, and has one daughter, Marion, born in February, 1910. 2. Bertha J., born May 5, 1890, graduated from the Turin Union School in 1908, and is now a student at the Liberal Arts college of the University of Syracuse. 3. DeWitt R. S., born September 3, 1901.
JENNE. Isaac Jenne, immigrant ancestor, born in Wales, came from England with his brother Ephraim Jenne prior to 1720. He married Milly ---------, an English woman. Children: 1. Isaac. 2. Ephraim. 3. James, (mentioned below). 4. Mary. 5. Milly. Mary died at an advanced age, unmarried, Milly married General Pike, who was killed at the Battle of Little York during the siege of Quebec.
(II) James, son of Isaac Jenne, was born in New Bedford, Massachusetts, in 1769, Miriam Pope, born May 10, 1752, sister of General Pope, of Revolutionary War fame. Shortly after their marriage they removed to the western part of Massachusetts. Children: 1. Isaac, born in New Bedford. 2. Thomas, mentioned below. 3. Miriam, married, 1811, Ralph B. Thompson, of Grantham, New Hampshire; had one daughter and three sons; removed to West Stockbridge, Massachusetts, in 1826, and both died there. 4. James, born in Grantham. 5. Sarah, born in Grantham, married Moses Chase; resided in Grantham all their lives, leaving no children. 6. Elisha, born in Grantham; four of the sons of Elisha and Isaac served in the Civil war.
(III) Thomas, son of James Jenne, was born in New Bedford, January 11, 1773, and died January 9, 1861, at the advanced age of eighty-eight. He removed with his parents to Grantham in 1777. He married, March 2, 1797, Betsey Hunter, born at Ashford, Connecticut, September 13, 1777, and remained in Grantham until 1821, when they settled in Lenox, Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Children, born at Grantham: 1. Thomas, march 23, 1799; died December 3, 1873; married October 6, 1822, Bathsheba Holbrook; children, Betsey Ann, Ariel, Maryette, Thomas W. and Irvin; his wife died in Lenox, October, 1871, aged seventy-two. 2. Siloam S., mentioned below. 3. Moriah (a son), December, 1817. (IV) Siloam S., son of Thomas Jenne, was born in Grantham, New Hampshire, July 26, 1809. He attended the public schools there until the family moved to Lenox, where he continued in the schools. He then taught school several years and then worked as carpenter, millwright, wagon maker and manufacturer of special machinery. He assisted Professor Lyman in the construction of a sixteen-foot telescope. He made a set of special machinery for a book bindery, having special devices of his invention, among which was one of the earliest machines for cutting out envelopes. These and many other labor-saving devices conceived by him show his versatility in mechanics. He married, November 26, 1829, Amelia R. P. Root, who died in Lenox, January 27, 1892. Children: 1. Nancy Maria, died in infancy. 2. Mary A., born August 25, 1833, married, November 24, 1853, Albert Rideout., of Lee, Massachusetts. 3. William K., mentioned below. 4. Francis, born June 27, 1846, died May 16, 1873.
(V) William K., son of Siloam S. Jenne, was born January 14, 1837. He was educated in the pubic schools, and, inheriting a strong predilection for mechanics, entered a machine shop at Lee, Massachusetts, and served an apprenticeship of three years at the trade of machinist. He then entered the employ of the firm of Plaisted & Whitehouse, of Holyoke, Massachusetts, and was sent to Ilion, New York, to make the fine tools necessary for a contract that the firm had made with the Remington Arms Company of Ilion for certain parts of firearms they were making for the United States government. After the contract was completed Mr. Jenne became a subcontractor for the Remington Company, and engaged in manufacturing the Eliot pistol. He soon became known as a mechanic of unusual skill and demonstrated inventive ability of high order. In the development of the Remington sewing machine, Mr. James (?) was from first to last an important factor. In 1873 there was brought to the Remington works by Mr. James Densmore and Mr. G. W. N. Yost, a typewriter model, on of the earliest. It was a very crude model indeed. Mr. Densmore was president of the Typewriter Company organized for the purpose of perfecting, manufacturing and selling typewriters based upon the model above mentioned. The model, because of its crudeness and mechanical imperfections, was not a salable article, so arrangements were made with E. Remington & Sons for the making of an improved model or models in the hope that the product might be useful and marketable. Mr. J. M. Clough, then superintendent for E. Remington & Sons, brought the crude model to Mr. Jenne's department in the works and they undertook to make such improvements as they might agree upon, resulting in the construction of three models which in appearance were so greatly improved that the representative of the typewriter company believed they would serve the purpose.
The models were sent out to be tested in actual work, and it was found that the Ilion mechanics, who had never before thought of typewriters, had yet something to learn. Three more models were made by the same mechanics, and were pronounced satisfactory, whereupon the Typewriter Company entered into a contract with E. Remington & Sons for the construction of five hundred machines like the last models. The machine under this contract were the very first typewriting machines placed on the market. The manufacture of typewriters has been continued in Ilion to the present day, and the improvements made from time to time have resulted in the wonderfully useful and durable Remington Typewriters, known all over the world and is still manufactured in Ilion. Mr. Jenne is entitled to take some pride for the important part he has taken in producing the machine in its present perfection. No one person has had more to do in making the typewriter a commercial necessity.
He is a member of Ilion Lodge, No. 591, Free and Accepted Masons, of Ilion; and formerly of Astrogan Chapter, Royal Arch Masons of Little Falls, New York; a charter member of Iroquois Chapter, No. 256, Royal Arch Masons, of Ilion, and has held most of the offices in succession in these Masonic bodies. He is a member of St. Augustine Protestant Episcopal Church of Ilion. In politics he is a Republican. On Account of ill health, Mr. Jenne retired December 1, 1904, from active work. At that time his friends and neighbors took occasion to express their esteem and good will, and several diners were given in his honor, and carious substantial tokens, such an elegant loving cup from the Remington Typewriter Company, a fine cut-glass punch bowl and accessories by his townsmen, an elegant gold watch from the shop foremen, and tokens of esteem from Remington sales agencies in all parts of the world. At the Paris Exposition Universelle, 1889, Mr. Jenne was awarded a silver medal and diploma for his typewriter inventions.
He married, February 27, 1859, Mary McSherry , of Lee, Massachusetts, born November 27, 1834, died August 12, 1902, daughter of Hugh McSherry, of London, England. Children: 1. Willis P., born in Lee, August 9, 1860. 2. Elmer E., born in Ilion, September 23, 1863; married, December 31, 1889, Anna M. Goff, of Big Flats, New York; children: i. Helen, born November 9, 1890, ii. William K., Jr., July 8, 1892, iii. Frances M., October 1, 1897. 3. Evelyn Alice, November 15, 1865; died December 7, 1872. 4. George D., October 13, 1873, died April 13, 1902.
LOGAN. The Logan family is one of the most prominent and distinguished of Scotland. As early as 1200 the surname was numerous in Wigtonshire, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire, and Edinburgshire. A branch of the family located in Ulster province, Ireland, among the early Scotch settlers. Matthew Logan lived in 1650 in Broadisland and East Quarters of Carrickfergus, county Antrim. The family is still numerous in county Antrim. In 1800 no less than thirty-nine births were recorded in the Logan families.
(I) James Logan, a descendant of the Antrim county family, was born in Ulster, Ireland. In his youth he was a shepherd. He came to this country when a young man and located first at Croyle's Island, and followed farming. Later he settled on Goose Neck Island, town of Louisville, St. Lawrence County, New York, and lived there until his death. In religion he was Presbyterian; in politics, Republican. He married Grecia Hunter, also a native of the north of Ireland. Children: 1. Hugh. 2. James. 3. John. 4. Samuel. 5. Mary. 6. Susan. 7. Henrietta.
(II) James (2), son of James (1) Logan, was born in the north of Ireland, 1816, and attended the schools of his native town. He was sixteen years old when he came to this country in 1832, and he worked first on a farm on Good Neck Island. In 1862 he removed to Waddington, New York, where he acquired a farm of one hundred and eighty acres. He made a specialty of his dairy and breeding horses, especially Grey Eagle Colts, as they were called. He was a prosperous farmer and useful citizen. He continued active until his death in 1874 at Waddington. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church; a Republican in politics. He married Elizabeth, born in 1821 at Croyle's Island, Louisville, New York, daughter of William Allison, a native of Scotland. She is now living at an advanced age at Waddington, New York. Children: 1. James Hunter, born June, 1847, mentioned below. 2. Euphemia, lives with her widowed mother on the homestead at Waddington. 3. William, a civil engineer, lives in Peterborough, Ontario. 4. Agnes, married William short, a farmer of Waddington; children: i. Jane, ii. Harriet Short. 5. Thomas, a farmer at Waddington; married Nettie Dean and has children: i. Ruth, ii. Irene, iii. Lloyd. 6. Ettie, lives on the homestead with her mother, brother and sister. 7. Samuel A., has the homestead; married Mary Lone; children: i. James, ii. Margaret. 8. Henry, a farmer at Waddington; married Margaret Taylor; children: i. Stuart, ii. Edwin, iii. Bower. 9. George A. (q,v,). 10. Gordon, a journalist, on the staff of the New York Herald. 11. Bower, deceased. 12. Mary, a stenographer, New York City.
(III) Captain James Hunter, son of James (2) Logan, was born at Good Neck Island, Louisville, St. Lawrence County, New York, in June, 1847. He was educated in the pubic schools of his native town. He has been engaged in the steamboat traffic on the St. Lawrence River most of his life, and was engaged in the towing business between Kingston and Montreal for a number of years. For three years he was in the employ of the Canadian Express Company, running between Montreal and Toronto. For eight years he was a contractor at Montreal, furnishing sand from the pumps for building purposes, in the city. In later years he had charge of various steam yachts for private parties at Waddington, and he was the owner and master of a freight boat plying between Waddington and Ogdensburg. In the spring of 1910 Captain Logan sold his boating interests to the Norfolk & St. Lawrence Railroad. In politics he is a Republican, and he has been president of the incorporated village of Waddington. He is a member of Waddington Lodge, No. 393, Free and Accepted Masons, and of Waddington Lodge of Foresters. In religion he is a Presbyterian. He married, in 1887, Minnie Liza, born in Waddington, daughter of Conrad and Eliza (Pratt) Kentner. Her father was born in Canada in 1828, and died in 1877; her grandfather was a native of Germany. Children, born at Waddington: 1. Helen. 2. Grace.
(III) George Allison, sixth son of James (2), and Elizabeth (Allison) Logan, was born May 26, 1867, in Waddington, and received his primary education in the public schools of that town. He subsequently became a student of the preparatory department of Oberlin College, and entered St. Lawrence University, at Canton, New York, from which eh was graduated in 1891. Attended the New York Law School, and was admitted to the bar in 1900, beginning practice immediately thereafter in Brooklyn, Greater New York, where he has continued ever since, with gratifying professional success.
Since January 1, 1909, he has been a member of the law firm of Caldwell, Logan & Holmes, with offices in Temple Bar, opposite the City Hall. Mr. Logan has undertaken no specialty in the law, but engages in general practice, and enjoys the respect and esteem of courts and contemporaries. He is a member of the Montauk University clubs of Brooklyn, and of the Masonic order, having been raised in Waddington Lodge, and now affiliates with Baltic Lodge, No. 384, of Brooklyn. He is a steadfast Republican in political principle, and rendered two years; service as secretary to Commissioner Young in the department of parks, of Brooklyn.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.